Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E15: Ready Or Not

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

People often criticize immigrants to the United States for not learning English first, this seems like the flip side of the coin.  He knew he was moving to a country where the majority of business is conducted in Spanish and he knew that most of Armando’s family doesn’t speak English.  He couldn’t find a couple hours a week to study?  Mucho annoying.

Especially since he lived in freaking Florida where there were probably many people to practice with.

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
5 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Sumit and Jenny should live in the US, that would make more sense.  

If Sumit's gotten into legal trouble because of his online catfishing, I doubt they'd let him come to the US.

5 hours ago, Dobian said:

What a phony hypocritical passive-aggressive little bitch [Melyza] is.  Sure, they were broken up (on her end) so she could have revenge sex on him.  She insists he give up his job if he is going to live in Colombia, significantly impacting his livelihood, then refuses to marry him which makes it incredibly difficult for him to get employment there.  And dong this while knowing she has played around on him, and keeping it a secret from him while at the same time lecturing him on honesty and trust.  This whole thing is her way of destroying the guy before sending him back home to complete her retaliation against him.  She never intended for this to work.  Cheesedick needs to grow a pair and tell this two-faced asshole where to stick it.  I hope her parents  reserve some of their judgment for her if they see what she has been up to (not sure if TLC is available in Colombia or if they'd watch it).

Melyza's hypocrisy is off the charts. He's supposed to go around apologizing to everyone who's closer than a tenth cousin to her, but she can boink whoever she wants and it's perfectly OK? Whatever, lady.

8 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Some true colors coming out in this episode. 

Kenny is being shown as "all about Kenny, all the time."  I don't think any of Armando's family members (including his father)  were "blaming" Kenny.  None of them were comfortable with the situation, and they couldn't really discuss THEIR feelings or opinions, because Kenny hasn't bothered to learn the language of his new adopted country.  So Kenny decided for himself how everyone else felt, and chose the role of the victim because "they made me the bad guy."

Kenny lives for drama. Remember that big tearful goodbye with his family he was never going to see again...until he flew them down to Mexico a week or two later? Now he complains that a Mexican family who has never knowingly seen a gay person in their lives is looking at him, then wonders why a bunch of people who don't know his language aren't speaking to him. We're starting to see why a good-looking guy had to go to another country to find a mate.

5 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

I thought Bini had three jobs. But, no, now Ari wants him to help out with the baby and not work so much. While is she going to be doing all day? 

First Ari whines about her low-rent accommodations, then when Bini starts working multiple jobs to pay for nicer digs, she whines that he's not there all the time. Make up your mind already.

3 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

I didn't watch when Jenny stayed/befriended them...but was SHE playing them...or playing along with Sumit's lies--to his parents and to her?

Jenny and Sumit told her parents she was a platonic friend who'd had a run of bad luck and was stuck in India for a few months with nowhere to stay. In reality, she was sneaking off to Sumit's room every night for forbidden funtimes. Now she has the nerve to wonder why they don't like her. 

• Love 14
4 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I think Armando's father did the best he could do under the circumstances.  He is part of a very conservative church when it comes to things like homosexuality.  If he hadn't wrapped his head around it before, to have his child be gay is like having them also defy/deny their religious upbringing.  

Religion is no excuse for bigotry.  Sorry.

4 hours ago, AZChristian said:

So far, Kenny has made very little effort to adapt to his new life, including communicating with Armando's family.  

But this is very true.  Why didn't Kenny bother to learn Spanish is beyond me.  It's not like he didn't know he was going to Mexico to live. 

2 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

Too bad about the unplanned C-section. Ari will be better off going back home with mom after she comes to visit. Bini will be lucky to see his child.

Dear Ari, you had a baby with this man, now you have to deal with him, maybe forever.  Too bad, but that's life.  If Ari goes home, I bet she won't be the one raising her baby.

2 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

Is he just an exotic plaything for you? A way to get some social media followers for your 'rap' career?

That is exactly why Brittany is in this relationship.  She wants to be a "social media" personality and sees this show as a fast track to "Insta-fame."

• Love 7
16 hours ago, Texasmom1970 said:

Ari please stop calling Bini baby, just weird!

Nobody puts Bab-

Anyway.

I think she's trying to call him "Bibi", which must be a nickname because his family did the same and people do it on social media (and did long before the show). 

But yeah, it sounds like "Baby" from her and it's weird.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Yes because you have to make sure the bigots are comfortable.  If Kenny was a woman, should Armando have told his mother privately? 

Yes. 

Edited by mamadrama
  • Love 15

I’m learning a lot about the struggles of an LBGTQ relationship. I have close friends who are lesbian and gay but their respective families have all been welcoming and respectful so it really took me aback to see Armando’s family so teary and embarrassed over the engagement announcement.  

Brittany’s mom is doing an amazing job holding back the judgement. I hope one day I can listen to my kids tell me about the stupid shit they do and I can keep a straight face and refrain from yelling “how are you THIS dumb?!” The previewed scene where Yazan’s dad says “I will be his murderer” is chilling. 

A 2001 car for 15K is exorbitant. Was it ever discussed why Bini isn’t trying to immigrate to the US? He’d be able to visit his other kid and a 2001 car would be like...5K (I don’t know diddly squat about used cars). My first baby was delivered via C section because he was breech. Of course, it did not take place in Ethiopia so I do feel for her there. In the previews, it looks like in the next episode her son is about to be circumcised without her permission. That turns my stomach. It may be common in some places to routinely circumcise but the idea of altering someone’s body without their consent nauseates me. 

I’m not looking forward to seeing more of Deavan. But overall TOW is infinitely more interesting than HEA. 

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, alotmorestupider said:

A 2001 car for 15K is exorbitant. Was it ever discussed why Bini isn’t trying to immigrate to the US? He’d be able to visit his other kid and a 2001 car would be like...5K (I don’t know diddly squat about used cars). My first baby was delivered via C section because he was breech. Of course, it did not take place in Ethiopia so I do feel for her there. In the previews, it looks like in the next episode her son is about to be circumcised without her permission. That turns my stomach. It may be common in some places to routinely circumcise but the idea of altering someone’s body without their consent nauseates me. 

1). Not sure why there is an assumption Bini (or Summit or Armando for that matter)would prefer to move to the US and away from his family

2). There is some info in the couples thread that I can’t bring up here because it wasn’t discussed on the show.  

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

1). Not sure why there is an assumption Bini (or Summit or Armando for that matter)would prefer to move to the US and away from his family

2). There is some info in the couples thread that I can’t bring up here because it wasn’t discussed on the show.  

In general I agree. Why does it almost always seem like the foreigner has to move here? I can see it in Sumit's situation. If he has no real career to abandon, his family wants to disown him, and all he really cares about is Jenny (who has a daughter and grandkids back in the US) then I could see him preferring to come here. 

When my husband and I were getting married and we had to decide which country to live in, we had the discussion about which one of us had more ties to our own country. The US won for personal reasons, but we did seriously consider the UK because that's where we were already living. That's generally a discussion most of us have. Someone is going to have to leave everything behind.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

Now he complains that a Mexican family who has never knowingly seen a gay person in their lives is looking at him

Probably trying to detect all the products he has in his hair.

1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

Religion is no excuse for bigotry.  Sorry.

There were religions against interracial marriage too.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
46 minutes ago, alotmorestupider said:

2001 car would be like...5K

More like 500 to 1500.

47 minutes ago, alotmorestupider said:

it looks like in the next episode her son is about to be circumcised without her permission.

She claims to be Jewish so maybe she wants a rabbi to do it. 

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, alotmorestupider said:

In the previews, it looks like in the next episode her son is about to be circumcised without her permission. That turns my stomach. It may be common in some places to routinely circumcise but the idea of altering someone’s body without their consent nauseates me. 

Although Ari's mother is Catholic, her father is Jewish and I think she identifies as a Jew.                                                                Circumcision (bris) is a religious decision and ceremony.  She's already off the rails, and learning this was about to happen (maybe) was the last straw.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:
7 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

I didn't watch when Jenny stayed/befriended them...but was SHE playing them...or playing along with Sumit's lies--to his parents and to her?

Jenny and Sumit told her parents she was a platonic friend who'd had a run of bad luck and was stuck in India for a few months with nowhere to stay. In reality, she was sneaking off to Sumit's room every night for forbidden funtimes. Now she has the nerve to wonder why they don't like her. 

The reason for my original question...and the bolding: Jenny has an equal partner in crime; she's going along with Sumit's lies to his parents. She wasn't having those "forbidden funtimes" by herself.  She knows why they don't like her ... and they never mention "forbidden."  They mention only her age and what "society" thinks about that.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Like I said, Bini has a child in the US does he not? That IS his family. Arguably, the most important family he has. If my child were in another country, you better believe I’d jump at the chance to at least live in the same country as him. At least they could see each other on long weekends and holidays. 

• Love 4

I liked Kenny at first.  Now I despise him. He is railroading Armando, pushing him to be out. 
I have a friend who recently came out.  Her girlfriend has been out for a longtime and was verbally and emotionally abusive to her, aka “announce it to the world or you’re a piece of shit”.  It was horrible for my friend and her family.  But she is so attached to her girlfriend that she did it....and her family couldn’t handle it at that pace. 
I get that Kenny has been out forever.  He fails to see that other cultures, other families, are different....he refuses to see it.  All Kenny, all the time.  I hate him for that.  

6 minutes ago, alotmorestupider said:

Like I said, Bini has a child in the US does he not? That IS his family. Arguably, the most important family he has. If my child were in another country, you better believe I’d jump at the chance to at least live in the same country as him. At least they could see each other on long weekends and holidays. 

Read the couples thread for his story. 

Edited by Meowwww
  • Useful 1
  • Love 11
57 minutes ago, alotmorestupider said:

I think the couples thread answers why that is unlikely.

11 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

I thought I saw "mother."

Yes, that woman in the car was her mother.  Brittany was on my last nerve with that, "I am just going to tell the judge I need a divorce."  You can tell that batting those fake eyelashes has gotten her far in life.  I agree with whoever said her smile/smirk is totally grating. 

• Love 11

I used to pull for Ari and Bini, but man, Ari was getting on my last nerves.  I had a C-section.  I was scared to death, but she seems to have gone extreme.  Where the heck did she get that number of $70,000?  Yes, the cars were overpriced, but unless daddy is going to bring her one from overseas, if you want a car, you have to pay to ride.  At least the cars were Toyotas and would last forever.  I think Bini is seriously losing his patience with her.                                                                                                                                                                               

Brittany needs to get off my screen.  Her and her entitled and whiny self is on my last nerves.  LIke Yazan's family won't see all of the lies she is telling? 

It's nice to see Deavan smile, but how have we gone from "I don't think I will stay here" to now be all, "I want a wedding!"  WTH? 

For those who have asked my didn't Kenny learn some Spanish?  If he knew he was moving to Mexico, he should have started learning Spanish!

And for Melyza and CHeesedick?  Please.  Give me a break.  They won't be together past the Tell-all, if not before.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, suzywallis said:

I think Bini is seriously losing his patience with her.                                                                                            

Yes...and some of us are seeing his ulterior motives.  Two completely spoiled and unprepared people just might deserve each other.

• Love 5

The conversation between Sumit and his parents was one of the most authentic things I've seen on a reality TV show in a long time.  I really thought both parties had good points and I was a little torn.  I almost wish that Jenny and Sumit could live in India for a year or two.  I suspect that once the thrill of the forbidden is gone and its a day to day grind that they will get tired of each other.  

Kenny really did make the family visit all about him.  I think he is a nice guy, but he seems pretty self-involved.  Didn't Armando tell you that all of this was going to happen?  Why are you shocked that it happened?  And maybe THIS is why he hasn't been ready to have a parade and send out announcements.  Armando is taking such big steps and I wish Kenny would see and appreciate that a little more.  

Brittney is the fucking worst.  How dare someone from a more conservative culture ask her to stop shaking her ass and showing her tits all over social media!  I really think this is just a game to her and she gives not a flying fuck if she ends up getting Yazan killed.  She will squeeze out a few crocodile tears and will come home to her lashes and wig heads and paste on that infuriating smirk.  Do they not have computers in Chicago?  Why couldn't she check the status of her paperwork online?  She knows how very important the divorce is, she couldn't take a day off from ass shaking and sitting on old mens laps to go down and check on the status of the paperwork?

Also of course tired of Ari complaining about everything.  It might be better off for everyone if she just takes that child back to Princeton because she is so exhausting.  Bini should marry his gorgeous ex-girlfriend.  As for the car, they are going about it all wrong, IMO.  As we've seen with Corey and Evelin, the best car to get is probably something older, beaten up but durable and manual shift.  I've had both manual shift and automatic cars, and it was always easier and less expensive to get the manual shifts repaired.  If most of the cars in the country are manual shift there may be more parts available for manual transmission vehicles.  It might be smarter to have her parents buy an older, durable car and just have it shipped.  Or even something newer, though I'd think theft might be a concern.  My dad did this once with a car he purchased in Germany and for him it made sense financially.  

I just get annoyed that she is like so worried about money but then he can't work for the first month.  Maybe ask if one of his sisters can come over and help, if its a more traditional society they may feel like its expected of them to help for a while anyways. 

Well, looks like Devan is going to be just as miserable in the second half of the season, what a shocker!  What money are they using to have a big wedding?  And there is another woman who agreed to sleep with jihoon?  Really?  Girls, lets do better!

On 10/11/2020 at 9:36 PM, Drogo said:

Ethiopian supermodel/car-salesperson:  "We're landlocked."

Ari: "Yeah but I'm American." 

Bibi: 

Shake-My-Head-I-Cant-Gif-.gif

She was gorgeous, why the hell is Bini going for Ari when women who look like her are just walking around selling cars!  Madness!

• Love 9
18 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Bimi is starting to sound like Evelin, with everything all about the money.  I bet that having the Bank of Mom and Dad shelling out for the apartment, hotels, airline tickets, etc. Bimi has apparently decided he has found a way to get ahead with much less effort.    

I'd be tempted to think so, but I was impressed that he didn't press Ari's parents to get them the nicer apartment and that he is ALWAYS talking about getting back to work.  It seems to be Ari who is making it impossible.  She wants him there all the time, but if he gets a job he will need a car.  Maybe he is angling for the parents to get them a car, but I'd bet it would be put to excellent use whether or not Ari stays there.  And Ari seems to agree that public transportation is sketchy and cabs are expensive.  As a single man he probably didn't need to bring home any kind of groceries or go to the other places that Ari and baby are going to need and want to go.  If he needed to go somewhere he could probably bum a ride or just deal with public transportation.  He can't really do that with a wife and kid.  Had he married a local woman, she would have a family to help shoulder the burden.  

I wonder if the car could be his job, maybe he could be a taxi driver and make a few bucks on the side.  It would be very flexible and wouldn't require that he be around sexy women.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, suzywallis said:

Brittany needs to get off my screen.  Her and her entitled and whiny self is on my last nerves.  LIke Yazan's family won't see all of the lies she is telling? 

Exactly!  His sister is a friend and neighbor of Brittany's sister.  They live in the same apartment building.  According to Brittany, she met Yazan online because he was Skyping with his sister when she walked into the room while she was visiting her sister in Chicago.  The sister may already know Brittany's backstory, or could easily find out more, since Brittany's so obvious and probably let her past slip out a more than once.  She's open about her relationships - abusive marriage, sugar daddies, et al.

However, while in Chicago, Brittany has yet to mention her sister, wanting to see her sister, her sister's baby, or her soon-to-be sister-in-law.  They weren't the welcoming committee at the airport and they don't seem to be on the trip itinerary.  Similarly, Yazan and his family didn't seem to capitalize on Brittany's proximity to his sister.  They should be all over the opportunity, if they believe that Brittany is really going to marry Yazan.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Ari's parents will wind up taking care of the baby, while Ari goes on her next adventure.  

While Bunion will be looking for the next tourist he can have unprotected sex with. I don't care for Ari but I would be on the first plane out of there.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, Ucross said:
On 10/11/2020 at 11:43 PM, Texasmom1970 said:

Ari please stop calling Bini baby, just weird!

I thought I was hearing things! This girl is not all there.

Guess I'm misunderstanding.  "BABY" is his name...a nickname, sure, but it's what his family calls him and what his "audience" calls him.   I agree that Ari "is not all there" much of  the time--but she's calling him by the name everyone else uses.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Kid said:

And Kenny, who is a sanctimonious ass is showing total disrespect toward his and his partner’s family.

Not so sure he's "sanctimonious" ... but I agree with all other parts of your post.  He doesn't realize that HE's showing disrespect because he's so concerned about his own feelings.  He's just an insecure gay guy who was able to evolve with his country's "culture."  He's old enough to remember when things were horrible for him here.

He's ignorant* and insecure about so much: his age, Alejandro's age, his homosexuality, anything other than "American" (food, customs, comforts, hygiene, relationships, dwellings, decor, daily business--shopping, etc.) 

*IGNORANT isn't "dumb."   ig·no·rant  adjective  lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Grifter Lives said:

However, while in Chicago, Brittany has yet to mention her sister, wanting to see her sister, her sister's baby, or her soon-to-be sister-in-law.

• Sometimes Production meets these relatives and decides they're "not good TV.'
  • Sometimes the relatives don't want to be on television...or (more likely) don't want to/can't sign a contract with many constraints.
  • Might not be Brittany's fault.
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Kid said:

What always amazes me is that people who are constantly labeling other people as bigots fail to see the bigotry in themselves and their total lack of tolerance for views that differ from theirs.   And, in this case, Kenny falls into that category. This is a culture. Armando is stuck in the culture. He is trying the best he can to live authentically.  He is not trying to change the world. But that is how the world IS changed by one person courageously living his life at a time.  And he is trying to do it with kindness and with love with regard to his family. And that is ultimately how they will be won over. Change takes time. Shoving change down someone’s throat generally never works. And Kenny, who is a sanctimonious ass, is showing total disrespect toward his partner and his partner’s family.  He is making it more difficult for Armando not easier.

I don't know how I feel about that. 

So does that mean that I, as a black woman should just say, "it's okay if you hate me, because stuff takes time?"  

• Love 5

I don't know why what Brittany is doing isn't considered fraud.  She agreed to marry Yazan and moved to Jordan to do that.  Meanwhile, she has no intention of converting to Islam or trying to fit into Jordan society.  Oh, and she's STILL MARRIED.  If that was a man, he'd be dragged for miles.  I had to change the channel because the sight of Brittany's face, not to mention Ari's whining, Kenny's tearful manipulation and Sumit's mother's tears, were too much for me.  Are there any decent Americans on this show?

Brittany clearly has some serious issues.  She seems to think that this is some kind of game.  Does she really think this bullshit is going to make her a star?  She ain't that cute, even with the fake hair, braces and fake lashes.  She's ugly on the INSIDE.  She's playing with Yazan's LIFE.  I can understand that she might have issues with converting to Islam, but Yazan has said 'MY wife will be a Muslim'.  She should tell him that she has no intention of converting and call it a day.  And does she have any idea that she is putting Yazan's life (and possibly his family) in danger?  His family is being shamed all over the world.  That means something in Jordan. 

I've always believed that if you have to travel 1000s of miles from home to get a man/woman...you're a LOSER.  This show is proof positive.

• Love 8
18 hours ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

Viewers never saw that first visit when Jenny's supposed dream to travel to India (which was actually to meet Sumit) ended up with her freeloading off his family for several months. We only "met" Jenny when she was going back again after Sumit rekindled their forbidden relationship but he neglected to tell her that he was in an arranged marriage. Meanwhile, Jenny had emptied her 401K, took lower early Social Security benefits and sold everything, (including her CAR!) to start life with Sumit in India. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, suzywallis said:

For those who have asked my didn't Kenny learn some Spanish?  If he knew he was moving to Mexico, he should have started learning Spanish!

at the very least, pick up a few useful phrases on the flight from FL to Mexico. Is knowing how to say "my pleasure" when you meet his family asking too much? I recall that being the lesson on the very first day of Spanish 1 along with "mi llamo es..." 

• Love 5
42 minutes ago, mightysparrow said:

I hear what you're saying, but I think it's a different situation.  Armando's family is just getting used to the fact that their son is gay.  They didn't jump for joy, but they didn't throw him out of their home and tell him they never want to see him again.  His father said 'I'm going to need some time'.  Armando is from a different country with a different culture.  A lot of it is because of religion but not all of it.  I don't think it's fair to expect Armando's family to be on OUR timetable.

Armando was clearly anxious on the ride down to his parents house.  Kenny saw that anxiety and decided to ignore it because it didn't suit HIS needs.  What kind of relationship is that?  Kenny has shown little to no respect that Mexico is country with a different culture and a different LANGUAGE.  He expects everything to be just like in the good ol' USA.  If that's what he wants, maybe he should have stayed where everything is just the way he wants it.

I'm a Black woman too and if the family of the man I wanted to marry said straight out that they hated Black people, I'd be out the door.  And I'd NEVER go back.  But Armando's family hasn't said they hate gay people.  They welcomed Kenny into their home and treated him with respect.  Maybe it's not Kenny's gayness that is the issue but his pushy, ugly American attitude.

Very nicely said.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, mightysparrow said:

Brittany clearly has some serious issues.  She seems to think that this is some kind of game.  Does she really think this bullshit is going to make her a star?  She ain't that cute, even with the fake hair, braces and fake lashes.  She's ugly on the INSIDE.  She's playing with Yazan's LIFE.  I can understand that she might have issues with converting to Islam, but Yazan has said 'MY wife will be a Muslim'.  She should tell him that she has no intention of converting and call it a day.  And does she have any idea that she is putting Yazan's life (and possibly his family) in danger?  His family is being shamed all over the world.  That means something in Jordan. 

You're right.  What's so bad about her is that she's doing this on TV, for all the world to see. 

1 hour ago, mightysparrow said:

Are there any decent Americans on this show?

Maybe not on this show because so many of them are fame whores.  

59 minutes ago, mightysparrow said:

I'm a Black woman too and if the family of the man I wanted to marry said straight out that they hated Black people, I'd be out the door.  And I'd NEVER go back.  But Armando's family hasn't said they hate gay people.  They welcomed Kenny into their home and treated him with respect.  Maybe it's not Kenny's gayness that is the issue but his pushy, ugly American attitude.

Some people might see the way Armando's dad acted as being hateful, I kind of sensed that myself.  A lot of people see the world as black or white.  Either you accept me or you don't.   Case closed.  

My main issue with Kenny is how he has never bothered to learn Spanish and he's planning on LIVING in Mexico.  Does Kenny really want to live in Mexico?  Maybe he really doesn't.  Maybe what he wants is to convince Armando and his daughter to come to America to live.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I have to wonder, when seeing previews for upcoming epis and what we already know about Yazan's culture...

If TLC/Sharp are even *slightly* aware of Brittany's famewhoreyness, and that she is not the least bit inclined to convert, etc.... are THEY at all responsible if something happens to Yazan?  Because I feel they should have stepped in at some point to say "Brittany, you know your Americanness might not be accepted in Yazan's family/culture/religion.  Here is a worst case scenario (example)."   

Or am I giving TLC/Sharp too much credit here?  IDK.  I give so much side-eye to everyone now.  

• Love 4

I couldn’t figure out if Ari kept saying baby or bibi but it sounded a lot like baby , which is extremely weird to use that in conversation as someone’s name . 

Maybe she’ll think twice before getting knocked up again . Who am I kidding ? I’m sure she’ll be pregnant again by next year if they last that long . None of these people ever learn . 

• Love 2

Unpopular opinion , but I didn’t think Kenny acted badly in this episode . He was respectful And didn’t say a bad word about Armando’s family . Yes , maybe he expected too much acceptance right away , but it was just a very awkward situation . Everyone was respectful but no one was speaking at all even to each other . Kenny just looked like he felt uncomfortable which I can’t blame him for . 

• Love 13
51 minutes ago, magemaud said:

at the very least, pick up a few useful phrases on the flight from FL to Mexico. Is knowing how to say "my pleasure" when you meet his family asking too much? I recall that being the lesson on the very first day of Spanish 1 along with "mi llamo es..." 

I really hope they didn't teach you to say "Mi llamo es..."  😀

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I really hope they didn't teach you to say "Mi llamo es..." 

Ooops, is it "me"? It's been 50+ years since Spanish class and studying Italian since then has really messed with my efforts to learn a foreign language. Edited to add from Spanish 1, I'll never forget the sentence my friend wrote, "Mi llama se llama Juana." It still cracks us up. 

Edited by magemaud
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

His parents are devoted Catholics.

...and because of "outreach" (missionaries) Armando's country includes many other religions that are anti-gay: Pentecostals, Jehovah's Witnesses, LDS (Mormons), and more.  This is a difficult barrier.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, Jaclyn88 said:

I couldn’t figure out if Ari kept saying baby or bibi but it sounded a lot like baby , which is extremely weird to use that in conversation as someone’s name . 

Extremely weird?  It IS his nickname...the one that his family and friends use.  I think she tries to use "Bimi" for television, but she's been using "Baby" since she met him.   Am I making this up?

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Some people might see the way Armando's dad acted as being hateful, I kind of sensed that myself. 

I also thought that Armando's dad probably was uncomfortable being filmed. 

• Love 10
35 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Some people might see the way Armando's dad acted as being hateful, I kind of sensed that myself. 

• If he thinks his son is committing an unforgivable sin
  • If it's his culture
  • If it's his religion
  • If it's all he knows
  • If it's the majority opinion of everyone he has ever known...
  • He probably cannot help the way he feels...or acts.

Who are WE to to judge him?  That's the same thing Armando's father is doing.  

• Love 12