Type keyword(s) to search

Cersei Lannister: Not As Smart As She Thinks She Is

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Dame sans merci said:

Somebody pointed out on another thread that Lena needs another episode to meet certain awards criteria, so i'm guessing we will inexplicably see her body somehow pulled out from under the gazillion bricks that used to be the Red Keep. 

I hope so, because as it stands, I expect her to crawl out of the rubble having given birth to three baby lions.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
On 5/15/2019 at 4:06 AM, BooBear said:

Personally I always loved TV Cersei. I never saw her as evil as much as a product of her environment and a life time of having terrible disappointments. That being said, she was the villain of this show and deserved that someone fitting would have ended her life. But the show didn't seem to want that and that puzzles me. I mean I like Cersei but I still think she had death coming to her worthy of her crimes.  She should not have gotten to die in the arms of the person she loved. I know some people might say this is how real life is but the real life story for Cersei was more realistically that she would have died alone, badly.  

Cersei is one of my favorite characters on GOT and I love the actress (do they give emmys for staring out windows) but I feel like they seriously reduced the complexity of the character but maybe I feel like that because I despise the baby storyline, “but she loves her children”, and the description of her by the showrunners  as “just a little girl” at the end. I think they wanted to contrast her to Dany like Cersei has a reason to live because fetus whereas Dany has a reason to kill because she has nothing. I’m probably not explaining myself well. 

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, leopardprint said:

I think they wanted to contrast her to Dany like Cersei has a reason to live because fetus whereas Dany has a reason to kill because she has nothing. I’m probably not explaining myself well. 

Oh I get what you're saying here. It sucks to reduce women to mother/not mother categories.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, MadameKillerB said:

Oh I get what you're saying here. It sucks to reduce women to mother/not mother categories.

They all were. Or little girls. Arya literally got a pat on the head. Cersei because she’s pregnant (was so hoping that was a trick) gets a tragic death. 

• Love 1

I think the important thing is that Jaime had a chance at freedom [with Brienne] and finally liberated himself from Cersei, which I think the audience will be thrilled about,” Headey adds. “I think the biggest surprise is he came back for her. Cersei realizes just how she loves him and just how much he loves her. It’s the most authentic connection she’s ever had. Ultimately they belong together.”

@chrisvee That just comes across like "uh yeah the finale is so great totally totally mmhmm" blather to me, haha. It's like, yeah, sure, Cersei conveniently realizes how much she loves him when he's the only person there and she's in a building that's falling down. If he had gotten to her 20 minutes earlier she probably would have complained to him about how stupid he had been for going north.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, ulkis said:

@chrisvee That just comes across like "uh yeah the finale is so great totally totally mmhmm" blather to me, haha. It's like, yeah, sure, Cersei conveniently realizes how much she loves him when he's the only person there and she's in a building that's falling down. If he had gotten to her 20 minutes earlier she probably would have complained to him about how stupid he had been for going north.

The second she saw that rowboat Davos  left them, she’d ditch Jaime for a man with two hands. 

They did you a whole season of wrong, girl. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
(edited)
11 hours ago, ulkis said:

Cersei conveniently realizes how much she loves him when he's the only person there and she's in a building that's falling down.

In all honesty, I think most people in that circumstance would feel relief.

I enjoyed Cersei and I am not that mad at her end. Maybe the showrunners used the word "girl" but I think a grown ass woman can break when her world is falling around her.  A callback to her contemplating poison would have been cool and I think in character. Because she's never been a warrior despite her good game face. She was scared when the riot happened, she understandably broke when she did the walk (I expected her to be stoic longer but Lena let her lose it quickly). She's been more or less numb since Marcylla died. If her daughter had come home safe I don't know if the the Sept would have gone boom. 

So breaking right then seems plausible. Arya looked fairly freaked out on the streets too and she's much harder. 

And I loved Jaime getting the end he wanted for himself. I don't think his arc was useless. He earned that death with her. He said it in season three. That you don't get to choose who you love. But for Jaime to get what he wanted it meant Cersei gets a more merciful end. I am okay with that compromise.

I do love the idea of "good Queen Cersei" under the rubble. Oooo boy. That seems highly probable. 

Edited by jeansheridan
  • Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, jeansheridan said:

In all honesty, So breaking right then seems plausible. Arya looked fairly freaked out on the streets too and she's much harder. 

I'm not questioning her breaking then, most people would. That's my point. Of course she is going to be relieved to see Jaime in that moment. I'm saying I doubt if Jaime got back to her when she was in no danger she would have simply said, "oh glad you're back, lover-bro!"

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 3
(edited)

Petition to change the name of this topic to “Cersei Lannister: Did you know she loves her children?” 

1 hour ago, ulkis said:

I'm not questioning her breaking then, most people would. That's my point. Of course she is going to be relieved to see Jaime in that moment. I'm saying doubt if Jaime got back to her she was in no danger she have reacted simply, "oh glad you're back, lover-bro!"

There is a bizarre undercurrent of “Out of sight, out of mind” regarding Jaime and Cersei prior to episode 5 until Sansa Snark triggers him. 

Edited by leopardprint
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, leopardprint said:

There is a bizarre undercurrent of “Out of sight, out of mind” regarding Jaime and Cersei prior to episode 5 until Sansa Snark triggers him. 

Tyrion talks turkey with him about Cersei. And Bronn is proof she is still angry enough to send an assassin (one who actually seems to like Tyrion a bit more than Jaime). I think Cersei is always there in their heads. 

But like Tyrion she was overconfident in her weapons and the City defenses. If Dany had no dragons at all, it seemed painfully easy for the Hound and Arya to get into the city. So send in covert forces to attack from within. 

Also, like the sewers of Casterly Rock, Tyrion knew about a secret way into the keep! Yikes. Yet another betrayal of Dany. Arya could have mentioned them too. 

So Cersei made the mistake of overconfidence. And I am not sure what she thought would happen. I guess if she had held back the seige perhaps more Westeros militia would help her against the invaders? But who is left? Was the Vale at the seige? I assume Dorne has an army of sorts still.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/15/2019 at 11:42 AM, izabella said:

I hope so, because as it stands, I expect her to crawl out of the rubble having given birth to three baby lions.

Lions? Nope. Cersei will triumphantly crawl out the rubble with three baby elephants. 😉

Edited by merrick715
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1
(edited)

Everyone is talking about how Dany is the character that the writers destroyed, but I would argue that the character they really destroyed was Cersei.  For seven seasons she was one of the biggest, and often *the* biggest, character on the show.  But in season 8 she was reduced to sitting on the sidelines, literally standing in a tower staring out her window.  Oh, except for one scene in episode 4 where she stands on a wall.  Oh, and she sent Bronn to execute Jaime and Tyrion.  Wait, wasn't Bronn Jaime's sidekick like out of a buddy cop show for a few seasons?  It wasn't too hard to figure out who he'd side with if the money was right.  He probably coined the phrase, "Bros before Hos" in Westeros.  She had no backup plan, no exit strategy.  She just looked smug until Drogon started torching the city and then she started blubbering.  It was pathetic.  She deserved better.  Lena Headey deserved better.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 8
(edited)
17 hours ago, Dobian said:

She had no backup plan, no exit strategy. 

This frustrated me, especially since we heard Qyburn say, "She (Cersei) has other plans for the Targaryen girl."  Knowing Cersei, I was expecting some kind of demented twist when Dany started attacking the city, but I guess Qyburn was only referring to the scorpions?  Lame.  Cersei always had something up her sleeve, she liked to make people suffer.  I was expecting more, but Cersei just walked away, crying.  Oh, well.

Edited by Fiver
  • Love 2

Agreed. I was sure that Cersei would have a Plan B, some exit route. Then I realized that she was so cock-sure (hehehe) she wouldn't need an exit route. Now, Qyburn, on the other hand, should have offered more than Maegor's Holdfast. 

• Love 1