Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E01: Premiere

• Start Topic

I mean I think if people have boring jobs or normal jobs the Bachelorette is not going to advertise them.  People could be a manager at Foot Locker or work at Starbucks for all we know, so of course they're going to pick the glamourous one i.e. "Former football player".  It's so Americana.  

• Love 2

Hey, we've had a "Pantsapreneur" (sp?) and a "Chicken Enthusiast" in the past.  There is no chyron that's off limits or too ridiculous for this show.  Appropriate, applicable or correct doesn't even matter.  I'm surprised Bennett didn't just have "Harvard Graduate" as his title.  

• LOL 11
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, SassyCat said:

Oh that short legged pants without socks look is just awful! Especially if they are short enough to practically ride up on your shins, like they did on that extremely tall guy who called himself "a tall drink of water" when meeting Clare.

I have sat with my notebook and pen in the past and took note of everyone. Their name, age, occupation, and area of living, like saber, lol. I didn't this time, but am glad we have a secretary on top of these things. I used to give one through five stars also, according to my own thoughts on attractiveness and who I thought was a good catch.

Maybe saber can refresh my memory the name of the tattle tailing attorney who's name starts with a T. If any of the contestants ever watched these bachelor shows they should know that being a tattler, and "outing" another contestant for their "wrong reasons" for being there, to the prize person they are all vying for, they should know it NEVER works in their favor. 

I liked Blake and his howling hound dog. I do wish Clare would give these guys a chance to show their inner selves, instead of deciding from one look who she felt the most attracted to upon first glance. Dale has kind of a presence to himself for sure, and I get the instant attraction, but it doesn't mean he's perfect husband material for her. It means she finds him hot.

Not the best determination for a life mate. There's plenty of hot looking guys who have a strong presence vibe to them, out there. Alot of them are in love with themselves. I think she is being immature with her sudden choice of he's the one without really getting to know each of them. Sexual chemistry is one thing, but the rest of life is much more than that.

(Commenting on the end of your post.) That really struck me when, while still in the driveway between limos, Clare was gushing to Harrison how she found her husband after one glance and 3 words. She said, “Chris, I’m 39! I know!” What does that mean? Did she mean that after 39 years on earth she NEVER felt that instant “zing” and blacked out on the spot so he MUST be the one and this is what True Love at First Sight must be, as heard about in fairy tales and rom-coms? Or did she mean that I have so much experience that I know what I’m looking for? Either interpretation concerns me. If it’s the former, well you know nothing about who this person is or what he’s like, so it’s lust, not love. And if it’s the latter, well your experience shows that you might not have the best judgment on who you pick out of a crowd. Frankly, this isn’t too far off the mark with how she reacted to Benoit and the Austrian (I think) guy at Winter Games. She was immediately head over heels with Benoit—until the other guy invited her on a “jacuzzi appointment.” Then she sent the first one home and was in love with the other one for like one night—until he gave her a hard time over breaking their jacuzzi appointment. Then she got engaged to the first one as soon as she reunited with him at the Tell All. She was also convinced that she was going to marry Juan Pablo. I can’t recall her Paradise relationships beyond that with the raccoon, but she certainly has an as-seen-on-tv history of thinking she’s found her soulmate the second she meets him—and THEN it goes downhill after actually getting to know each other. She might be 39, but she acts as naive about “love” as someone half her age.

Edited by JenE4
  • Love 17
9 minutes ago, Kiss my mutt said:

Dale looks like that guy from Fine Young Cannibals

Well, he does Drive Her Crazy.

That was quite the chemistry reaction between the two though. I've never seen someone doing that 'waving hands in front of eyes so they don't cry' thing from meeting someone hot. I thought she was going to pass out...

• LOL 7
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, DEL901 said:

Dale was listed as a former football player.  If he had played longer, retired would be possible, but an injury cut his career short after 3 seasons, so unlikely he accumulated enough money to retire.  I’m guessing aspiring model, actor or influencer.  

Exactly!

Football player is his "former" job, what is his current job? 

What has he been doing since 2014 for a job? 

Edited by OnTime
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, SassyCat said:

Oh that short legged pants without socks look is just awful! Especially if they are short enough to practically ride up on your shins, like they did on that extremely tall guy who called himself "a tall drink of water" when meeting Clare.

Oof. Yeah. When you're that tall you cannot do the ankle pants look. It really looked like his suit shrunk in the wash. Same with burgundy suit guy. So many of them had suits that didn't fit.

Maybe I'm weird but I don't mind the shorter pants look on SOME guys and with some suits. But that it's become the young guy look just shows how many people do it wrong.

I think it worked with Boy Band guy because his look was a bit more casual with the dog t-shirt underneath, and he's slim. Another example I'm ok with in theory is really muscular guys (though I don't have an example off hand). To me the traditional suit hides their bodies, the back shoulders/arms/thighs specifically, so if you're going to go with a tighter /slim suit then a traditional length pant with a fabric break looks out of place. So the shorter no break pant works. But you have to get it fitted correctly, otherwise you look like Hulk. A lot of the hems last night were super high,  basically capris, so I don't know what was happening. And with the socks, my opinion is -- if it's leather, wear a sock. Suede or velvet I could see arguments for sockless but yeah. There was a lot of "fashion" last night.

I didn't miss the old Bachelor location. I also wonder if they guys are going to have to share rooms. 

Claire's dogs are super cute. I noticed when the retriever one Honey came out and Claire said "Did she get out?" which was a real dog mom moment. Of course the producers let her out and didn't tell you they were going to, and her first reaction was, uh oh! 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, JenE4 said:

I can’t recall her Paradise relationships beyond that with the raccoon,

She went through several guys fairly fast and had a date with Jared, the one Ashley Ionietta married.  Clare really liked him, but he, rather coldly, told her she was too old for him.  Someone else at BIP sat down by Clare and said, "This isn't your first rodeo is it?"  Which upset her.  All of which makes me surprised that she allowed the show to cast so many young ones.  Men of any age are going to be attracted to a voluptuous beauty like Clare, but that doesn't mean they wont make her feel self-conscious about her age down the road if she doesn't seem to fit in with their friends.

When Clare had her thunderbolt moment over Dale I was reminded of Ben Higgins saying that when his Lauren stepped out of the limo "The world stopped,"  and of Kaitlyn saying she knew Shawn was the one from the minute he walked up and hugged her because of the way he smelled.  We know those two couples didn't work out, but I guess it's pretty great in the beginning. I just didn't see any matching spark from Dale.

Those tiny suits always make me think of some poor guest at a wedding wearing his little brother's suit.  Optical illusions 101 tell us that unbroken lines look longer, so they all look short legged, not to mention fat bottomed, in those things.

I wanted  Tyler, the West Virginia lawyer to be a contender, but now we all know he spends his spare time reading the WVU college girls' instagrams.  Ew.

It's so great to have a show to watch that we can talk about! Even my husband was kind of excited over it.

• Love 11

How many times has Clare said, “I’ve never felt like this before” on these shows anyway? I didn’t realize she had been on so many iterations of this show as I started watching when Becca was the Bachelorette. I’m watching Juan Pablo’s season now too, to get more of a feel for Clare. 
I, too, am surprised by how young some of these guys are. 26? You’d think she’d know better. Maybe dating someone for fun but if you’re looking to settle down, that kind of age difference at that age doesn’t seem like the best odds especially if she’s wanting a family. It’s a shitty double standard, yeah, but it doesn’t make it untrue. 

Edited by Kiss my mutt
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I'm confused lol. I thought I heard Chris say she met 31 guys and then I believe she sent 4 home, so how are there now 23 left?

She sent eight home: Jordan 30 (the tall guy), Mike 38, Jeremy 40, Tyler 27, Chris 27, AJ 28, Robby 31, and Page 37. Not all got to say goodbye to us

• Useful 8
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, SassyCat said:

Maybe saber can refresh my memory the name of the tattle tailing attorney who's name starts with a T.

That was Tyler, age 27. He's gone baby, gone now. There is another lawyer, Riley age 30, although he is listed as an attorney, which must be way so much better than a simple lawyer since he's still there.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
30 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

There is another lawyer, Riley age 30, although he is listed as an attorney, which must be way so much better than a simple lawyer since he's still there.

Not as good as a spin-class instructor though.

• LOL 8
2 hours ago, OnTime said:

Exactly!

Football player is his "former" job, what is his current job? 

What has he been doing since 2014 for a job? 

He’s a fitness trainer and trying to get his business off the ground. My friend has trained with him. Says he’s nice but totally there to get his business off the ground and no way Clare is his type

• Useful 7
  • Love 3

I know the show has been rather open with some of the twists of the season in the media...etc. but even knowing that, I felt shocked how much they seemingly revealed in the opening.  There was zero suspense with the first rose since the first thing we saw was a preview of Clare meeting Dale.  I guess there were enough unanswered questions that the only way to explain what happened is to watch as it unfolds but it still felt revealing.

I actually liked the beginning when we saw the guys wait out the quarantine before getting to go in.  Does this mean they get their own separate rooms this season?  That could make things interesting for "private time."

I was expecting at least one of them to test positive for that big dramatic reveal.  I bet producers were a little disappointed that no one did.

I don't watch this show every season but it felt like were an inordinate number of former NFL players.  Will this now be an automatic second career for them?

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

That was Tyler, age 27. He's gone baby, gone now. There is another lawyer, Riley age 30, although he is listed as an attorney, which must be way so much better than a simple lawyer since he's still there.

Thank you Saber. He looks just like someone I know, except for the deer in headlights look Tyler's eyes have.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Alexander Pope said:

I also wanted to add that "showing up" is something they say a lot in yoga.  They showed her in a warrior pose at the beginning.  

TIL I could have just showed up for yoga without actually doing the stretch pose thing that makes you fart. That's a much better workout program than... you know, working out. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, DEL901 said:

I always find it amusing/perplexing when Somme’s profession is “former something or other”.    It this because that was the most interesting job they ever had?  Are they retired?  Unemployed?

Dale was listed as a former football player.  If he had played longer, retired would be possible, but an injury cut his career short after 3 seasons, so unlikely he accumulated enough money to retire.  I’m guessing aspiring model, actor or influencer.  

Agreed. Former football player is not an occupation.  It sounds like  he's  unemployed. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SassyCat said:

Thank you Saber. He looks just like someone I know, except for the deer in headlights look Tyler's eyes have.

Charlie White the ice skater

1 hour ago, SassyCat said:

Charlie white the ice skater

• Love 1

I am so glad to find this group. You totally get it. This is such a fun show for snarky comments. I am not a long-time Bachelorette watcher-- a co-worker got me hooked mid-season last year with the Hannah Brown drama. So I don't know any backstory.  I am glad to know I'm not the only person who wrote down the names of the guys-- I can't keep track of them.  I added + and  - signs to rate them.  Unfortunately many of my "-" choices made it through. Despite their awful fashion choices, no socks, and desperate opening gambits.  The award for worst opening IMHO was Zach-- the guy who had the ring box with the stupid fart joke. Really? Sigh.  Must have stopped by Spencer's Gifts on the way to the limo? And he made it to the next episode! Oh well. I'm sure this will all get worse.  Thanks to all for your funny comments. Makes staying home all the time more fun. 

• Love 17
2 minutes ago, MadeleineElster said:

I am glad to know I'm not the only person who wrote down the names of the guys-- I can't keep track of them.

I'm not sure that it is worth the energy to be honest.  Most of them are filler.  Eventually you will figure out the two that she may be interested in and the 3 that the producers keep around because they make good TV.  The rest you won't know till you hear on one of the bachelor boards that they did something really embarrassing in real life.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, magenta said:

Charlie White the ice skater

Charlie white the ice skater

Lol. I had to look up Charlie White. Yes there's a resemblance there, but you should see my landlord! A Tyler in his 40's.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

When Clare had her thunderbolt moment over Dale I was reminded of Ben Higgins saying that when his Lauren stepped out of the limo "The world stopped,"  and of Kaitlyn saying she knew Shawn was the one from the minute he walked up and hugged her because of the way he smelled.  We know those two couples didn't work out, but I guess it's pretty great in the beginning. I just didn't see any matching spark from Dale.

Seriously, as much fun as reactions like this are, it's just lust at first sight.  A mature woman like Clare should realize that and not allow herself to get so derailed by it.  Although some of these whirlwind romances work, most don't in the long run.  Clare is way too emotional and impulsive; you would think she'd have learned that by now.  I wouldn't bet on this lasting, based on her track record.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, MadeleineElster said:

I am so glad to find this group. You totally get it. This is such a fun show for snarky comments. I am not a long-time Bachelorette watcher-- a co-worker got me hooked mid-season last year with the Hannah Brown drama. So I don't know any backstory.  I am glad to know I'm not the only person who wrote down the names of the guys-- I can't keep track of them.  I added + and  - signs to rate them.  Unfortunately many of my "-" choices made it through. Despite their awful fashion choices, no socks, and desperate opening gambits.  The award for worst opening IMHO was Zach-- the guy who had the ring box with the stupid fart joke. Really? Sigh.  Must have stopped by Spencer's Gifts on the way to the limo? And he made it to the next episode! Oh well. I'm sure this will all get worse.  Thanks to all for your funny comments. Makes staying home all the time more fun. 

Welcome to the group! I was late to the party, only starting at Becca’s season. I find keeping track of who’s who is worth the energy because they often show up on other Bachelor Nation shows even if they don’t make it very far on this show. So it’s worth my energy anyway. 
Having a place to come and hash it out is probably the best part for me. Have fun!

• Love 5
11 hours ago, leighdear said:

Hey, we've had a "Pantsapreneur" (sp?) and a "Chicken Enthusiast" in the past.  There is no chyron that's off limits or too ridiculous for this show.  Appropriate, applicable or correct doesn't even matter.  I'm surprised Bennett didn't just have "Harvard Graduate" as his title.  

In the original Temptation Island, almost 20 years ago (cough), more than one contestant was simply identified as an "Ivy League Graduate," which was the show's shorthand for "unemployed."

• Useful 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1

My favorite bit of watching this was the post-show clip when Clare called for Chris to help her pick up the knight's armor, and I commented, "Say Chris Harrison's name three times and he materializes," to which my friend's husband responded, "He is bound to the manor."

Anyway, Clare seems to have an AWESOME group of men and I'm kind of jealous. So many of them seem genuinely fun, maybe because it's actually a mature older group! I was upset she sent home the good-humored guy who had early selfie video clips in his hotel bathtub, and I suppose the tall guy because he was pretty hot, but she kept around most of the cute ones. I also liked how she handled the early on drama and sent home WV guy who instigated it without a second thought. Can't wait to see this play out (despite the media already spoiling plenty of it)! Get it, Clare!

• Love 5
23 hours ago, EllenB said:

How old was Brad? I thought he was one of the older ones, at least by his second attempt.  Too bad he didn't come back to compete on this season. He and Clare would be gorgeous together.

Brad chomping on a sandwich, fresh out of effs to give about Deanna, during a where are they now moment is still my favorite scene from this franchise. And I started watching when a sorority sister was cast on season 1.  Been sporadic the past several seasons, tho, because I keep getting older and casts keep getting younger and younger. 

Hooray for adults while still getting a shit show. I don’t feel nearly as dumb after watching this episode as I usually do. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 8

This was really fun to watch, though I could have done without the ad-nauseam previews of the same scene. I liked that there were several men with real, intellectually demanding jobs and not just boy band cover band  (i.e. not even an original boy band!!!) managers and former NFL players. Aeronautical engineer Ivan was adorable playing chess against himself during quarantine.

On a shallow note, Clare looks great and I wish the show would stop harping on her age because appearance-wise she puts many of the former Bachelorettes to shame.

• Love 11
22 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I know the show has been rather open with some of the twists of the season in the media...etc. but even knowing that, I felt shocked how much they seemingly revealed in the opening.  There was zero suspense with the first rose since the first thing we saw was a preview of Clare meeting Dale.  I guess there were enough unanswered questions that the only way to explain what happened is to watch as it unfolds but it still felt revealing.

I agree. They gave away a lot considering  it was the first night.

I think at this point, is the only question, are they still together?

Edited by OnTime
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, MadeleineElster said:

I generally watch while having the ABC website open to the cast page, so I can keep track.

Keep in mind that the openings are often not determined by the guys. Production assigns the guys to certain gimmicks. That's why we have a number of normal entrances, some with "cutesy" gimmicks, and some over the top, that had to be arranged by production. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

I generally watch while having the ABC website open to the cast page, so I can keep track.

Keep in mind that the openings are often not determined by the guys. Production assigns the guys to certain gimmicks. That's why we have a number of normal entrances, some with "cutesy" gimmicks, and some over the top, that had to be arranged by production. 

So you mean they can't say "I plan to wear a dramatic scarf and arrive in a Rolls Royce and tout my Ivy League education." ??

• LOL 6
On 10/14/2020 at 12:24 PM, OnTime said:

He came into the NFL as an undrafted free agent. But he was only ever on the practice squad for several NFL franchises over 3 seasons, and never played so much as a down.

He did get some playing time during one season in Arena Football, then his career ended. 

I don't know how much money he made in that time, but I highly doubt it was anywhere near enough to retire on. 

He must have a real job, but it clearly isn't as exciting for TPTB as calling him a "former pro football player".

Edited by reggiejax
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, reggiejax said:

He came into the NFL as an undrafted free agent. But he was only ever on the practice squad for several NFL franchises over 3 seasons, and never played so much as a down.

He did get some playing time during one season in Arena Football, then his career ended. 

I don't know how much money he made in that time, but I highly doubt it was anywhere near enough to retire on. 

He must have a real job, but it clearly isn't as exciting for TPTB as calling him a "former pro football player".

Isn't that exactly what happened with Jordan Rogers from Jo Jo and Jordan fame?  

I'm thinking it actually happens with thousands of young NFL hopefuls. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

That's pretty similar to Colton-considered former pro football player, but never played in an actual game.

yes but colton had that charity. we dont know what dale does.

• Love 1

Bachelor Chris: landscape design salesman

My 13yo son: so he works at the garden center in Walmart?

Bachelor Zac: Addiction Specialist

My 13yo son: you think he specializes in helping people find the right addiction for them?

He's a smart ass.

• LOL 12
  • Love 2

Dale has done some modelling & product endorsement for some significant brands.  Ralph Lauren, Grey Goose, Under Armor, etc.  He's got a website with more info on it.  I think he's got a unique & gorgeous look.  I'd buy all kinds of ridiculous crap from him.  *LOL*  

Here's a nice Forbes Mag article about him, WAY before he got involved with the franchise. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaellore/2019/02/15/dale-moss-mission-to-empower-disadvantaged-entrepreneurs/#6c9572a27a76

Edited by leighdear
  • Useful 5
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, leighdear said:

Dale has done some modelling & product endorsement for some significant brands.  Ralph Lauren, Grey Goose, Under Armor, etc.  He's got a website with more info on it.  I think he's got a unique & gorgeous look.  I'd buy all kinds of ridiculous crap from him.  *LOL*  

Here's a nice Forbes Mag article about him, WAY before he got involved with the franchise. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaellore/2019/02/15/dale-moss-mission-to-empower-disadvantaged-entrepreneurs/#6c9572a27a76

Wow, I can see why she was interested even before filming started... she admitted that during the shut down, she googled the guys since the names had been released.  

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

Wow, I can see why she was interested even before filming started... she admitted that during the shut down, she googled the guys since the names had been released.  

Yep, he's got the panty-dropping looks & body, plus some good PR contacts and altruistic activities to back up the superficial stuff.  

I'd want to husband him up too!  😛

• Love 2
22 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

that is a weird affectation I have heard from young people recently.  they substitute "whenever" for "when" and the sentence doesn't mean the same thing.  

Unfortunately, this is not just a young people thing.  I hear it from young and old, male and female, and educated people.

On 10/15/2020 at 9:33 AM, tinkerbell said:

Actually, according to "Bachelor Nation", by Amy Kaufman, which I happen to be reading right now (don't judge me!), the gimmicks are a mix of people coming up with them on their own and going with producers' suggestions.  BTW, if you have ever considered reading a Bachelor franchise book, I highly recommend Bachelor Nation.  Amy is not a member of the franchise, like with the other books by franchise alum, but she has definitely been franchise-adjacent, and she has a lot of insider information.  Just this week, I decided to really fry my brain cells, and have ordered each of the Bachelor tell-all/memoir style books...there's about 8 or 9 of them (I already read Courtney's and Andi's books) and you can get them for pretty cheap on Amazon.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 10/13/2020 at 9:24 PM, JenE4 said:

“Whenever I had my daughter...” Sir, do you not know when you had your daughter? Or, did you have her sporadically? Oh, he’s the Here for the Wrong Reasons guy, so his poor grammar is the least of his problems. They are from the same random small town?

I know Bachelor-land grammar is terrible, but the top definition of "whenever" is "every time that." Seems to make sense to me.