Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
KeithJ

Help! I Wrecked My House

Anyone else watching this?  I swear they should rename it to "Help! We're idiots"

The latest episode was a couple who bought a house and then pretty much gutted the entire thing without a plan or any experience. lol

• Like 3

Yes, I'm watching it and am quite impressed by the work Jasmine and her crew do. I like this show better than her other one, Hidden Potential.

Those homeowners are idiots for sure.

• Like 3

I watched it and didn't like it. The "designs" all all to similar, no matter the house or owners. Plus, most of the owners are morons.

• Like 1

I like this one better than Hidden Potential.    At least she doesn't say 'builder grade' in every sentence in this one.    I like that she apologized to the homeowner with the plumbing issue with the garbage disposal.  When it turned out it was an issue with the plumbing, and the homeowner didn't screw up, she told him.     I can't believe people lived like that for so long, with entire bathroom broken, or safety hazards that could have hurt their children. 

• Like 2

Okay, question. I see these in a lot of design/renovation shows on HGTV: bench seats in dining areas. Is this a thing people really want?  I would be so upset if a designer helpfully installed a permanent bench seat that was supposed to seat the entire side of a dining table in my home. I think they are ugly and uncomfortable and hard to get in and out of especially when others are seated there too. They might work if needed in a kitchen in one of those nook built ins but not as a dining room fixture built into a wall.  Jasmine put one in in the latest episode I watched and I hated it.

I do think that while some of Jasmine's intentions are good in the things she installs as permanent her design (isn't that pretty?) mind interferes with the actual practicality of the thing itself. The tiny pantry because one third of the space was devoted to the small appliance shelving on that wall. I'd rather have more pantry, the small appliances can find spots where they can. Removing an actual closet and turning it into a nook for a dresser etc without doors. That room may not have been large but it was large enough for a real closet and a dresser both. The island was great but it was pretty much squeezed in the kitchen space tightly.

My biggest concern though was the garbage disposal. The mouth of the garbage disposal is in the sink. And right above it, flat with the counter itself, is the button that turns it on. That is a tragedy waiting to happen. There's a reason the switch for a garbage disposal is not within easy arm's reach of the thing -- so you don't accidentally turn it on while you have your hand down in there trying to reach something out of it or unclog it.  I can just see someone reaching in that disposal and trying to pull something out and placing their other hand on the sink edge to brace themselves and turning the thing on, or something falling on the button at the worst time, etc.  I can't believe that is allowed now. 

The show is watchable which I find Hidden Potential is not so that's a plus in this time of lack of decent original programming.

• Like 2

Yes, the built in banquettes, and entire built in dining tables seem to be a trend.      I've never liked them, and I really hate the long banquette, that's an L shape, and then they put a little round table in the corner.   Pretty much turns the table into something for four people.     

I didn't like the garbage disposal switch either, I thought it was a bad placement too.  My guess is the homeowners get a ton more input that anyone lets on.  

I like this one more than Hidden Potential, and a lot more than Bargain Mansions.      

Last night's redo with the nurse, and her electrician husband was such a change to a horrible start to the remodeling.    I can't believe the homeowners lived like that for so long.    The drain issue was scary, with the potential for eroding the dirt under the bathroom.    

I like this better than some of the super expensive makeovers on other shows (like Nate's).    I have a lot more sympathy for someone where they both are working, and want to fix up a nice house, and it's to live in.    I don't like the ones starting with a million dollar house, and adding all kinds of expensive additions.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2

I like this show partly because I like the idea of her finishing things completely.  I also like that they do mostly quality work and care about doing it right.  It is so much better than Nate’s show like this as it doesn’t spend over the top money on things you can get for cheaper that are just as nice.  It is more realistic with the budgets in place.  I do think any of the homeowners are not bright...such as watching YouTube videos to install a support beam and then live in the house with no concerns.  

• Like 4

On 10/7/2020 at 7:51 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I like this one better than Hidden Potential.    At least she doesn't say 'builder grade' in every sentence in this one.    I like that she apologized to the homeowner with the plumbing issue with the garbage disposal.  When it turned out it was an issue with the plumbing, and the homeowner didn't screw up, she told him.     I can't believe people lived like that for so long, with entire bathroom broken, or safety hazards that could have hurt their children. 

All these Reno shows are like this with homeowners who do things like live with a broken facet for years. I mean buy a $100 facet and install it or pay a plumber $200 to install. Why live like that and then give a decent budget for renos? People are weird.

For the garburator issue, just take it off then and call a plumber. Why keep it in if you could at least get your drain to some what work without it. Then call a plumber to scope the drain lines for $150 (that is what it costs in my area as I have had it done for tree roots).

• Like 2

I can't understand the passivity of the homeowners either.     If you can believe what the homeowners say, some have been living in a demolition zone for years.  

Tonight's episode is interesting.     They put a giant island in the kitchen, with a bench so you can turn it into the dining room table.     Also, the planter over the top of the window would get ripped out immediately in my house.     Another wrong move in my opinion, is the shower curtain rod right up at the ceiling.   I don't want to have to get a step ladder to replace the curtains, and shower liners that will require.     

I hate the overload of either real or faux trees and plants inside.  They're going to end up a maintenance nightmare, and I bet people who live with a toilet in the hallway for years won't take care of plants either.    I've seen people with the fake plants have dust all over them, and they look hideous.     I can't imagine trying to water the plants on that plant shelf that high.    

With a makeover like last night, in the homeowner's place I would ditch all of the plants.  Then lower the shower curtain rod so I could reach it, or just use a short foot stool, and I hated the island/dining table.    I would only use the island as a breakfast bar.   I think a drop leaf table would have been better for dining, and for everyday use it would hold four people, and have either side leaves that can be raised, or some other configuration. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 5

Argh - I wish who ever comes up with the idea of incorporating plants into the decor  would use common sense.

THEY NEED LIGHT TO GROW!

In the past couple of episodes  Jasmine has placed plants  in areas where they won't thrive - the bathroom on the shelves many feet from the window, and probably the dumbest design of incorporating plants....the valance above the window filled w/them,

Not only would then not thrive in such a location, it would be a royal pain in the ass to water them as well. Stupid,stupid,stupid

If you want design over function when it comes to plants, use the best, most realistic, faux plants  you can find

Noticed too in recent episode, they couple didn't get their TV back up on the wall with the heater either.

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, sheetmoss said:

Argh - I wish who ever comes up with the idea of incorporating plants into the decor  would use common sense.

Not only would then not thrive in such a location, it would be a royal pain in the ass to water them as well. Stupid,stupid,stupid

When I saw that planter box over the living room window I cringed. I could envision water dripping on the floor and furniture. I'd have very nicely asked her to move it to on an outside wall on the patio.

Maybe it's just me, but house plants have no place in my home... I have allergies and cannot tolerate being around them.

• Like 2

Did anyone else notice that Jasmine made of point of saying removing the old tiled counter in the bathroom was tricky because they did not want to damage the wall tile?  Then in the reveal there was no wall tile near the vanity.  I'm confused.  All I can think of is when they had to remove the floor tile the wall tile (except for the bathtub surround) had to go too.  Personally I much prefer bathrooms with tile wainscoting.  The less chance of drywall getting wet the better. 

• Like 1

White shaker cabinets have nothing to do with mid-century modern. I wish these "designers" would stop claiming that they're recreating styles when they are as far from them as possible. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Did anyone else notice that Jasmine made of point of saying removing the old tiled counter in the bathroom was tricky because they did not want to damage the wall tile?  Then in the reveal there was no wall tile near the vanity.

She meant they didn't want to damage the bullnose tile that was part of the tub/shower tile. She pointed out in the reveal that taking the tile out over the counter did not damage the shower tile.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2

1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

She meant they didn't want to damage the bullnose tile that was part of the tub/shower tile. She pointed out in the reveal that taking the tile out over the counter did not damage the shower tile.

Ah, I understand now.  Thanks!

• Like 2

I thought the plant location was awful too.  Who wants something like that over your head while you are trying to relax.  And did she get confirmation that they like plants?  Otherwise in that location they will never get cared for.  I didn’t like how it looked either.  I didn’t mind the table idea, but didn’t love it either.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alexa said:

I thought the plant location was awful too.  Who wants something like that over your head while you are trying to relax.  And did she get confirmation that they like plants?  Otherwise in that location they will never get cared for.  I didn’t like how it looked either.  I didn’t mind the table idea, but didn’t love it either.  

Re; the table

Thought it was an okay solution, but, when use in every sq inch of a small space has to be thought out, I don't think the ends of the table  should have been closed. That lost 2 seating spaces

Personally, I thought a long Parsons  table could have been a good solution w/its clean lines and still modern look

Also, I think the fridge needed to be pulled down closer into the kitchen work triangle. 

I can't wait until they they have the table filled w/guests  sitting around it  and they have to get up because something is needed out of the fridge,

• Like 3