Type keyword(s) to search

Help! I Wrecked My House - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Anyone else watching this?  I swear they should rename it to "Help! We're idiots"

The latest episode was a couple who bought a house and then pretty much gutted the entire thing without a plan or any experience. lol

• Love 4

I like this one better than Hidden Potential.    At least she doesn't say 'builder grade' in every sentence in this one.    I like that she apologized to the homeowner with the plumbing issue with the garbage disposal.  When it turned out it was an issue with the plumbing, and the homeowner didn't screw up, she told him.     I can't believe people lived like that for so long, with entire bathroom broken, or safety hazards that could have hurt their children. 

• Love 3

Okay, question. I see these in a lot of design/renovation shows on HGTV: bench seats in dining areas. Is this a thing people really want?  I would be so upset if a designer helpfully installed a permanent bench seat that was supposed to seat the entire side of a dining table in my home. I think they are ugly and uncomfortable and hard to get in and out of especially when others are seated there too. They might work if needed in a kitchen in one of those nook built ins but not as a dining room fixture built into a wall.  Jasmine put one in in the latest episode I watched and I hated it.

I do think that while some of Jasmine's intentions are good in the things she installs as permanent her design (isn't that pretty?) mind interferes with the actual practicality of the thing itself. The tiny pantry because one third of the space was devoted to the small appliance shelving on that wall. I'd rather have more pantry, the small appliances can find spots where they can. Removing an actual closet and turning it into a nook for a dresser etc without doors. That room may not have been large but it was large enough for a real closet and a dresser both. The island was great but it was pretty much squeezed in the kitchen space tightly.

My biggest concern though was the garbage disposal. The mouth of the garbage disposal is in the sink. And right above it, flat with the counter itself, is the button that turns it on. That is a tragedy waiting to happen. There's a reason the switch for a garbage disposal is not within easy arm's reach of the thing -- so you don't accidentally turn it on while you have your hand down in there trying to reach something out of it or unclog it.  I can just see someone reaching in that disposal and trying to pull something out and placing their other hand on the sink edge to brace themselves and turning the thing on, or something falling on the button at the worst time, etc.  I can't believe that is allowed now. 

The show is watchable which I find Hidden Potential is not so that's a plus in this time of lack of decent original programming.

• Love 4

Yes, the built in banquettes, and entire built in dining tables seem to be a trend.      I've never liked them, and I really hate the long banquette, that's an L shape, and then they put a little round table in the corner.   Pretty much turns the table into something for four people.     

I didn't like the garbage disposal switch either, I thought it was a bad placement too.  My guess is the homeowners get a ton more input that anyone lets on.  

I like this one more than Hidden Potential, and a lot more than Bargain Mansions.      

Last night's redo with the nurse, and her electrician husband was such a change to a horrible start to the remodeling.    I can't believe the homeowners lived like that for so long.    The drain issue was scary, with the potential for eroding the dirt under the bathroom.    

I like this better than some of the super expensive makeovers on other shows (like Nate's).    I have a lot more sympathy for someone where they both are working, and want to fix up a nice house, and it's to live in.    I don't like the ones starting with a million dollar house, and adding all kinds of expensive additions.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

I like this show partly because I like the idea of her finishing things completely.  I also like that they do mostly quality work and care about doing it right.  It is so much better than Nate’s show like this as it doesn’t spend over the top money on things you can get for cheaper that are just as nice.  It is more realistic with the budgets in place.  I do think any of the homeowners are not bright...such as watching YouTube videos to install a support beam and then live in the house with no concerns.  

• Love 4
On 10/7/2020 at 7:51 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I like this one better than Hidden Potential.    At least she doesn't say 'builder grade' in every sentence in this one.    I like that she apologized to the homeowner with the plumbing issue with the garbage disposal.  When it turned out it was an issue with the plumbing, and the homeowner didn't screw up, she told him.     I can't believe people lived like that for so long, with entire bathroom broken, or safety hazards that could have hurt their children. 

All these Reno shows are like this with homeowners who do things like live with a broken facet for years. I mean buy a $100 facet and install it or pay a plumber $200 to install. Why live like that and then give a decent budget for renos? People are weird.

For the garburator issue, just take it off then and call a plumber. Why keep it in if you could at least get your drain to some what work without it. Then call a plumber to scope the drain lines for $150 (that is what it costs in my area as I have had it done for tree roots).

• Love 2

I can't understand the passivity of the homeowners either.     If you can believe what the homeowners say, some have been living in a demolition zone for years.  

Tonight's episode is interesting.     They put a giant island in the kitchen, with a bench so you can turn it into the dining room table.     Also, the planter over the top of the window would get ripped out immediately in my house.     Another wrong move in my opinion, is the shower curtain rod right up at the ceiling.   I don't want to have to get a step ladder to replace the curtains, and shower liners that will require.     

I hate the overload of either real or faux trees and plants inside.  They're going to end up a maintenance nightmare, and I bet people who live with a toilet in the hallway for years won't take care of plants either.    I've seen people with the fake plants have dust all over them, and they look hideous.     I can't imagine trying to water the plants on that plant shelf that high.    

With a makeover like last night, in the homeowner's place I would ditch all of the plants.  Then lower the shower curtain rod so I could reach it, or just use a short foot stool, and I hated the island/dining table.    I would only use the island as a breakfast bar.   I think a drop leaf table would have been better for dining, and for everyday use it would hold four people, and have either side leaves that can be raised, or some other configuration. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5

Argh - I wish who ever comes up with the idea of incorporating plants into the decor  would use common sense.

THEY NEED LIGHT TO GROW!

In the past couple of episodes  Jasmine has placed plants  in areas where they won't thrive - the bathroom on the shelves many feet from the window, and probably the dumbest design of incorporating plants....the valance above the window filled w/them,

Not only would then not thrive in such a location, it would be a royal pain in the ass to water them as well. Stupid,stupid,stupid

If you want design over function when it comes to plants, use the best, most realistic, faux plants  you can find

Noticed too in recent episode, they couple didn't get their TV back up on the wall with the heater either.

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, sheetmoss said:

Argh - I wish who ever comes up with the idea of incorporating plants into the decor  would use common sense.

Not only would then not thrive in such a location, it would be a royal pain in the ass to water them as well. Stupid,stupid,stupid

When I saw that planter box over the living room window I cringed. I could envision water dripping on the floor and furniture. I'd have very nicely asked her to move it to on an outside wall on the patio.

Maybe it's just me, but house plants have no place in my home... I have allergies and cannot tolerate being around them.

• Love 4

Did anyone else notice that Jasmine made of point of saying removing the old tiled counter in the bathroom was tricky because they did not want to damage the wall tile?  Then in the reveal there was no wall tile near the vanity.  I'm confused.  All I can think of is when they had to remove the floor tile the wall tile (except for the bathtub surround) had to go too.  Personally I much prefer bathrooms with tile wainscoting.  The less chance of drywall getting wet the better. 

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Did anyone else notice that Jasmine made of point of saying removing the old tiled counter in the bathroom was tricky because they did not want to damage the wall tile?  Then in the reveal there was no wall tile near the vanity.

She meant they didn't want to damage the bullnose tile that was part of the tub/shower tile. She pointed out in the reveal that taking the tile out over the counter did not damage the shower tile.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

She meant they didn't want to damage the bullnose tile that was part of the tub/shower tile. She pointed out in the reveal that taking the tile out over the counter did not damage the shower tile.

Ah, I understand now.  Thanks!

• Love 2

I thought the plant location was awful too.  Who wants something like that over your head while you are trying to relax.  And did she get confirmation that they like plants?  Otherwise in that location they will never get cared for.  I didn’t like how it looked either.  I didn’t mind the table idea, but didn’t love it either.  

• Love 1
6 hours ago, alexa said:

I thought the plant location was awful too.  Who wants something like that over your head while you are trying to relax.  And did she get confirmation that they like plants?  Otherwise in that location they will never get cared for.  I didn’t like how it looked either.  I didn’t mind the table idea, but didn’t love it either.  

Re; the table

Thought it was an okay solution, but, when use in every sq inch of a small space has to be thought out, I don't think the ends of the table  should have been closed. That lost 2 seating spaces

Personally, I thought a long Parsons  table could have been a good solution w/its clean lines and still modern look

Also, I think the fridge needed to be pulled down closer into the kitchen work triangle. 

I can't wait until they they have the table filled w/guests  sitting around it  and they have to get up because something is needed out of the fridge,

• Love 3

Not a fan of the planter and the fact that the wife could barely reach up to the plants. It also seemed strange that the heater Is right beside the alcohol cabinet. And of course Jasmine doesn't think about the trouble it will take to change out the shower liners at such a high height

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, Lilacly said:

Not a fan of the planter and the fact that the wife could barely reach up to the plants. It also seemed strange that the heater Is right beside the alcohol cabinet. And of course Jasmine doesn't think about the trouble it will take to change out the shower liners at such a high height

My thought was... are  shower curtain liners readily available that long? I've never seen them any longer than the standard length. Of course two rods could be installed. One for the lengthy curtain and one to accommodate a shorter liner.

I also noted the location of the liquor cabinet right next to the heater and wondered about it as well.

• Love 2

She did a wine installation in a dining room where the wine was placed carefully on it right behind the dining room table/chairs. All I could think about was how easy it was to bump into it and knock the bottles off their holders.  I didn't think about the light but that would have been an issue too. Jasmine doesn't worry about practicality, she only thinks about how cool and different things look.  That's what makes me crazy about her individual touches in each house: they are usually stupid and things I'd want to remove/fix if I bought the house. These are some over the episodes that bugged me:

1.  The bowling alley in the backyard. Every time you roll a ball you have to walk all the way up and move it/retrieve it/ replace the knocked down pins. It would get wearysome quickly.

2. The cover for the heater next to the alcohol cabinet (and worry that those heaters get hot so it would make me nervous for the cover anyway.

3. The wine rack in the dining room mentioned above.

4. The tiny pantry because she just had to have appliance shelves taking up half the space.

5. The removal of a working closet in the baby's room.

6. The planter too high in the house to be watered or tended to.

7. The shower curtain too high to change the curtain or (probably) find liners for it.

8. The wet room bath area with an open wooden table with towels stored in it right next to the shower area (those towels would be musty and damp after the first shower in that room).

That's all that comes to mind right now but there were other stupid decisions she has (IMO) made.

• Love 4

I wasn't paying a lot of attention to the shower curtains, because I was so grossed out by the height of the rod.     I'm guessing the fabric curtain will either be a regular curtain or a specialty item, and I'm guessing the liners won't be that easy to find either.    I thought that idea was ridiculous, and the planter that high was just as bizarre.  

• Love 2

Jasmine really annoyed me this episode and it's mainly how she can sound so patronizing sometimes when talking about/to the clients.  They'd already bought the vanity and tub and aside from the bathroom issues which turned out to be minimal (and he had installed the beam properly), what they changed/added was cosmetic. They switched out the floors that weren't aesthetically pleasing, switched out the linen space, I just doubt her "punch list" was that long in this house compared to the other houses we've seen. But this was "the worst bathroom" she'd seen and a "huge undertaking" and she was getting tired of them not knowing what tile they wanted. I thought the contractor who showed the homeowner his mistakes on video was much more helpful and nicer in explaining the mistakes. $850 for a "note nook" was wasted money though even though I think most of it went to labor.

Edited by Lilacly
  • Love 2
On 10/16/2020 at 9:38 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Tonight's episode is interesting.     They put a giant island in the kitchen, with a bench so you can turn it into the dining room table.     Also, the planter over the top of the window would get ripped out immediately in my house.     Another wrong move in my opinion, is the shower curtain rod right up at the ceiling.   I don't want to have to get a step ladder to replace the curtains, and shower liners that will require.     

I hate the overload of either real or faux trees and plants inside.  They're going to end up a maintenance nightmare, and I bet people who live with a toilet in the hallway for years won't take care of plants either.    I've seen people with the fake plants have dust all over them, and they look hideous.     I can't imagine trying to water the plants on that plant shelf that high.    

With a makeover like last night, in the homeowner's place I would ditch all of the plants.  Then lower the shower curtain rod so I could reach it, or just use a short foot stool, and I hated the island/dining table.    I would only use the island as a breakfast bar.   I think a drop leaf table would have been better for dining, and for everyday use it would hold four people, and have either side leaves that can be raised, or some other configuration. 

YES. Just caught a re-airing of that episode last night, and me and my boyfriend hated that planter over the window. How would that be practical in any way? And yes, on the overload of plants inside, especially the plastic ones. I don't understand how so many designers don't understand the practicality of having plants outside.

And totally agree with you and everyone else about the high shower curtain. I still like Jasmine though, and watch mainly for her.

• Love 1

I never kept track of the amount of episodes but was surprised that it was such a short season.  I wonder if it'll get.a second season or if they'll give her another show to try out.

I'm not sure that I'll be signing up for another season.  I like Jasmine's designs for the most part but I just don't like her personality as a home reno fixer. A lot of people go too far in trying to reno but for a while a lot of shows were promoting the diy reno approach and encouraging homeowners to use sweat equity and save money (especially installing your own floors) and now they've turned towards using trades and minimizing the amount of diy.

I was actually reading an article about Good Bones and Mina made this comment on how the company started out:

"We just learned as we went. I read directions on how to install flooring and watched online videos about putting up tile. It was really trial and error."

That's exactly the kind of phrasing that Jasmine would say is wrong in construction and that they should've used a trade.

• Love 1

The first episode of Season 2 was not appealing to me at all.     They spent $75k inside, $90k on the giant pool, that seems to dominate the entire back yard, and are talking about their three little kids being in the pool all of the time.     The oldest was only 7, the other  two were pretty small, and I hope they intend to watch them better than they seemed to be at the grandparents' house.   I find it hard to feel sorry for people who spent right under $200k on renos and a pool, and complain they don't have more money for the house.    I don't understand why the inside dog house was even done, since the dog will probably be where the family is, not under the stairs. 

I know the shows depend on who applies to be on it, but I hope this one doesn't turning a Nate and Jeremiah make over one for million dollar properties.      

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 6
On 9/7/2021 at 12:51 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

The first episode of Season 2 was not appealing to me at all.     They spent $75k inside, $90k on the giant pool, that seems to dominate the entire back yard, and are talking about their three little kids being in the pool all of the time.     The oldest was only 7, the other  two were pretty small, and I hope they intend to watch them better than they seemed to be at the grandparents' house.   I find it hard to feel sorry for people who spent right under $200k on renos and a pool, and complain they don't have more money for the house.    I don't understand why the inside dog house was even done, since the dog will probably be where the family is, not under the stairs.    

I had a hard time feeling sorry for them as well.  I watch all of these reno shows and I would never never ever think about doing anything to my house.  Then spending $90k on the pool (I've never priced an in ground pool but that seemed crazy expensive) and only leaving $75k for the house?  Where are you going to spend most of your time?  By the pool or in the house?

• Love 8

That was just silly to literally demo your house and yard like that, and think you can finish it on your own (even with a pool contract, etc).  I mean, this is why people do things in stages--so you can afford it, live in the house, and enjoy the things you choose to do.  The pool was a huge job and easily could have come later.  Your children 5 and under won't notice, really.  

And who wants to trust themselves to do their own framing and beams--if you aren't a contractor or equivalent, not a great choice.

• Love 5

I thought this was a new show, didn't realize this was the second season! OMG. I don't feel sorry for any of these families. They seem really stupid: "Oh, we don't have any plans." Does that work for your gym business, too? I wonder if that will fail like your DIY. Wow. Hope those kids don't drown in that ginormous pool. Dumb asses.

The pregnant couple? She seems brighter than him, but they had at least 6 months (or more) to get it together for the baby. How clueless can they be?

I don't think I can watch any more of this show, the people selected piss me off too much. I would just walk away from even discussing a project with them. Not worth my time, money, or aggravation.

Edited by Ms Lark
grammar
  • Love 3

I just started watching this as it came up as a suggested show for me on D+.  How has anyone not yet commented on one of the "features" from the very first episode, the giant lifesize photo mural of the homeowners applied in their bathroom as a tub surround?!  Hopefully it was a "fathead" type sticker that could be easily removed removed because that was a horrible idea.  I also hope she didn't use the homeowners budget to buy it!

• LOL 3
22 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

I thought this was a new show, didn't realize this was the second season! OMG. I don't feel sorry for any of these families. They seem really stupid: "Oh, we don't have any plans." Does that work for your gym business, too? I wonder if that will fail like your DIY. Wow. Hope those kids don't drown in that ginormous pool. Dumb asses.

The pregnant couple? She seems brighter than him, but they had at least 6 months (or more) to get it together for the baby. How clueless can they be?

I don't think I can watch any more of this show, the people selected piss me off too much. I would just walk away from even discussing a project with them. Not worth my time, money, or aggravation.

Good points about clueless owners, and that ginormous pool.    No mention of a pool fence either.    

I hate watch this show, for the ridiculous budgets, and the strange decorating choices.   

I hated the can lights projecting out of the ceiling.    I think it looked like a warehouse. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

Are pot lights that extend down out of the ceiling like tubes a thing now? Looked very industrial loft and not a fit in this house.

I find Jasmine to be very pleasant and likable and down to earth, but maybe her skills are all on the contractor side and not on the design side. Not really liking a lot of her design choices.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, RowdyCam said:

Are pot lights that extend down out of the ceiling like tubes a thing now? Looked very industrial loft and not a fit in this house.

I thought I was the only one.  I tend to decorate in a more traditional/transitional style, but that choice of tube lighting in a suburban home left me scratching my head.  I thought they were exceedingly ugly, probably trendy and will be outdated in a few years.   But then again, what do I know?  I never saw gray and white becoming popular colors, and yet, that’s about all you see nowadays.  Maybe multiple black lighting tubes hanging from your ceiling will be the next big thing.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

See, I think Jasmine does a good job with structural stuff and where things stay traditional. It's where she puts her own weird spin on things as a 'designer' that she loses me completely. I would never ever trust her to do my home because her choices are so bad (to me).

I mean, you could tell her that you like to have friends over for barbecues and the next thing you know you have a low rent outdoor movie screen on your back fence. You tell her you want a dining room and up pops one of those awful banquettes. I hate banquettes, in dining rooms or in kitchen corners. Just no. I like light in the kitchen would become those ridiculous pop down tube things in the last episode. In one episode the mom worked nights and slept during the day so Jasmine actually made a mailbox like hole in the bedroom wall (through to the hallway) so the little girl could leave her messages while she slept. Seriously, that's what 'under the door' is for. Don't make mailboxes in my hallway/bedrooms. The shallow cupboard that fits only baby bottles at the end of an island was almost useless. Does anyone with one baby need cupboard space for thirty or so baby bottles, sitting on very shallow shelves down to the floor so that when you pick up one you probably knock over three every time? The shelves for appliances that ate up half the available pantry area space seemed stupid. Who puts their coffee maker on a shelf with no electrical outlet? Do you want to take it down and plug it in on the counter everytime you make a cup of coffee and then wash it and put it back on the shelf again? Because that's where Jasmine put it. On that stupid shelf. And because of it the pantry was narrow and had barely anything fitting inside it. I recall an episode where folks said they liked to entertain in their backyard so she made a permanent side area for some lawn game like cornhole or grass bowling or something. The yards aren't that big to begin with, they hardly need dedicated cornhole areas.

Jasmine is weird. She gets the California home vibe very well (my neck of the woods) but she adds her unique touches which is where things really go wrong for me.

• Love 5

At least Jasmine stopped putting big decks in the front yards, the way she did on the previous show. 

On season 1, I hated the shower rod that was so high that the homeowners would have to get a huge ladder to change the curtain, and the same one had a plant shelf super high. 

Tonight's new episode, In Over Our Heads, Season 2 Episode 2, is bizarre.   How did they get an addition like that without permits, and inspections?     There is no way this awful addition passed any inspection.     The wonky concrete slab is horrible.  There is no way any of the roof or support structure was right, or safe.   I wonder if this episode was a shock to the local building permit office?   I bet it was.    

I hate the painted closet, it looks like a bunker, not a room in the house.   I hate the padded pillow headboard, and the color of the headboard, and the window treatment above it don't look good together, and the feature wall doesn't coordinate with anything.    Taking closet space to make that strange vanity is awful, and they left empty space on either side of the main double sink vanity, make it wall to wall and get more counter space.    The sink area in the main bath is tiny.     I hate barn doors, and I bet they'll always be open.  

I did not need to hear that they're going to try to have a baby right this second, and they said it several times.     I wonder if he'll watch a Youtube, and deliver the baby himself?      

I hate that the promo trailer for this season still shows the sink issue from last season, that wasn't the homeowners fault from back work, it was that the plumbing and drains weren't done correctly by the builder's people.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

Good god those morons with no plan or intelligence were horrible! If that's how careless about money and the safety of their home I can't imagine what terrible parents they must be. Talk about egomaniac. 

Yeah, it’s a pity that they are breeding. 😏

• Love 5
21 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

Good god those morons with no plan or intelligence were horrible! If that's how careless about money and the safety of their home I can't imagine what terrible parents they must be. Talk about egomaniac. 

I’d bet my next paycheck the work he was doing was unpermitted. Cause there’s zero chance of that terrible foundation passing inspection. Or the plumbing. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, irisheyes said:

I’d bet my next paycheck the work he was doing was unpermitted. Cause there’s zero chance of that terrible foundation passing inspection. Or the plumbing. 

Which is even more sickening. Just another rich enough couple thinking they're above the law. Not to mention being stupid enough to believe that watching a few episodes of Flip or Flop makes them contractors. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

“Hey, honey, I watched a video on YouTube, so I can do your root canal now. I’m charging up the power drill!” 😄

My Dremel Micro rotary tool actually has a warning on the box that it is not designed for dental use. Which means someone, somewhere , must have taken a DIY approach to dentistry and complained about the result! 

• LOL 8
13 hours ago, Kenzie said:

My Dremel Micro rotary tool actually has a warning on the box that it is not designed for dental use. Which means someone, somewhere , must have taken a DIY approach to dentistry and complained about the result! 

I've always wished that along with the warning they'd give a little history about WHY the company was forced to add this warning. Some of those stories must be insane. Either that or there are a number of incredibly imaginative, and a little bit disturbed, group of lawyers out there. The Stephen King of law firms lol. 

Found this and had to laugh some more www.forbes.com/2011/02/23/dumbest-warning-labels-entrepreneurs-sales-marketing-warning-labels_slide.html?sh=437da97354fc

• Love 3

When Jasmine said it was going to cost $4k to float their slab to make it level and they said, no, I was screaming at my TV, what do you mean NO?!?

Also I don’t understand how they didn’t check for level before framing the addition on top of it? Who are these people?

• Love 7
On 9/18/2021 at 2:49 PM, KristenR said:

When Jasmine said it was going to cost $4k to float their slab to make it level and they said, no, I was screaming at my TV, what do you mean NO?!?

Also I don’t understand how they didn’t check for level before framing the addition on top of it? Who are these people?

How does that wonky slab pass inspections?     It wasn't just the bad slab either, it was the strange framing, the lack of permits for everything, and hiring anyone they could get cheap to build that addition.    To me the worst part of the finished addition is that due to poor planning, and lack of professional design and architectural work, the rooms were small, and the only good part of the addition was the ensuite they added.   That bedroom addition should have been 10 or 15 feet longer, to have a bigger bathroom, a bigger walk-in closet, and a decent sized main (I call it the bill payer's suite) bedroom.     

Jasmine should have refused to work on that house until they pulled permits, and corrected the slab.    I hope that the producers realize that since they worked on it, when something goes wrong on the addition, that they're getting sued along with the home owners when the house ever sells.    I wonder if the homeowners ever had approved permits on everything they did? My guess the owners didn't have permits or inspections.   I bet the city inspectors were stunned when they came to inspect that house. 

The main (I like en suite or master bath, to me main sounds like it's the only bathroom in the house, or the one used the most) certainly looked bigger in the sketches, but was cramped and small in the actual execution. 

I bet the city inspectors were really mad when they saw the work the homeowners had done.     I find it hard to believe the inspectors passed the addition with the wonky slab.     I'm watching the rerun, and I can't reach the remote to mute it fast enough when they keep saying they want to have a baby. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

I’m older than dirt and remember when HGTV began broadcasting. Their programs were interesting and informative. We saw home decorating, home renovating (a small bit of this), gardening shows to tell us what to buy and how to plant it and even some cooking shows. This network is such a disappointing thing now. I feel the same way about TLC, Discovery and every other channel that promises so much and delivers so little. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

How does that wonky slab pass inspections?     It wasn't just the bad slab either, it was the strange framing, the lack of permits for everything, and hiring anyone they could get cheap to build that addition.    To me the worst part of the finished addition is that due to poor planning, and lack of professional design and architectural work, the rooms were small, and the only good part of the addition was the ensuite they added.   That bedroom addition should have been 10 or 15 feet longer, to have a bigger bathroom, a bigger walk-in closet, and a decent sized main (I call it the bill payer's suite) bedroom.       Jasmine should have refused to work on that house until they pulled permits.    I hope that the producers realize that since they worked on it, when something goes wrong on the addition, that they're getting sued along with the home owners when the house ever sells.    I wonder if they ever had approved permits on everything they did?   

I’m pretty sure all of her worK is permitted. They showed at least one inspection, so they were doing more than the owners. I’m not sure where that puts them legally if there’s problems down the road. 

15 hours ago, irisheyes said:

I’m pretty sure all of her worK is permitted. They showed at least one inspection, so they were doing more than the owners. I’m not sure where that puts them legally if there’s problems down the road. 

Oh they totally get the house owners to sign some sort of contract/NDA. Standard for any television programme. They could blow up the house and the owners can't do crap about it.

• Love 2

Tonight's new episode, Season 2 Episode 3, "Help Us Love Our House"   Bought a DIY reno, and Jasmine finds water and termite damage.   I can imagine that buying a house in Southern California is tough, but in this case a fixer and no skills might be a bad choice.      They easily could have painted a room a weekend, and made the house so much nicer.    The termite damage, in the second floor bath is terrifying.  When Jasmine says not to even walk in the room, that's scary. 

When they're short on money, why don't they go for stock cabinets, instead of custom cabinets with fancy finishes?   And get nice stock cabinets, and trim them out, instead of buying $500 worth of vintage cabinets?    

To save money, don't put in the dark stainless appliances (extra cost, and harder to get), gold fixtures in the kitchen and bath already look garish and dated.   The baking station in the dining room was a big fail for me, the counter space is too small to work with, and it's too narrow, and too short.   The mustard yellow piano is not a good look..    Why spend a lot extra on a TV cover panel?   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 6

o save money, don't put in the dark stainless appliances (extra cost, and harder to get), gold fixtures in the kitchen and bath already look garish and dated.   The baking station in the dining room was a big fail for me, the counter space is too small to work with, and it's too narrow, and too short.   The mustard yellow piano is not a good look..    Why spend a lot extra on a TV cover panel?   

LOL! I missed most of this, but saw the termite damage and the reveal. They were short of funds? You'd never know it from the dark stainless, fixtures and TV cover. I expected them to burst into tears when they saw the yellow piano. I would have.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, buttersister said:

LOL! I missed most of this, but saw the termite damage and the reveal. They were short of funds? You'd never know it from the dark stainless, fixtures and TV cover. I expected them to burst into tears when they saw the yellow piano. I would have.

The wife and kids, along with Jasmine, painted it yellow! 
I don’t like gold fixtures at all. Too ostentatious. 
I never have understood putting the tv over the mantel. IMO, the tv should be at or near eye level (when sitting). Why strain your neck looking up like that?   I also wouldn’t want a microwave positioned under the countertop. What a PITA to use.

Edited by LittleIggy
Clarification
  • Love 4