Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Jig-A-Bobo

• Start Topic

On 10/5/2020 at 5:47 PM, tennisgurl said:

I really hope that Ji-Ah isn't gone already, I feel like she has a lot more to do in this story.

Christina will buy her a nail salon in exchange for spying and other nefarious deeds....

• LOL 1
On 10/4/2020 at 10:44 PM, shoetingstar said:

They were a direct take on Topsy from Uncle Tom's Cabin aka the Picaninny stereotype. That was the book in the bathroom that Dee was looking at. I theorize there were 2 because allegedly Harriet Beecher Stowe  meant for Topsy to gain sympathy for the anti-slavery cause. However, she became a stereotype of an dirty wild black child that became a comedy staple in Vaudeville that still plagues black girls and women today. The duality of INTENT (a them in the episode) vs. unwanted results.

I figured Dee's subconscious had conjured two of them to match the two girls she screamed at for eating ice cream and laughing on the day of Bobo's service -- after she herself ran away rather than confront her friend's body. It wasn't just an external stereotype haunting her; it was her own fear that she might be as frivolous and inconsequential as the racist stereotypes try to portray girls like her.

On 10/5/2020 at 9:56 AM, kay1864 said:

Excellent point. Why couldn’t she have just broken into the house (especially as William), since it was for sale?  Or heck, just called the realtor and visited as a buyer? 

She literally couldn't enter the house, right? The warding spell kept her out just like it kept out Captain Lancaster.

Edited to add: Or, wait, was it the Yoruba priestess who warded the house later? In that case, I'm guessing Christina didn't want to go up against whatever wards and traps the previous owner had erected before he died? Leti barely survived long enough to cast Hiram out, after all, and Christina wouldn't have put her own life/liberty/sanity on the line when she could get someone else to do it for her.

Edited by Dev F
  • Love 3

I found this episode a tad confusing, but parts of it were tragic (Emmett Till's story is heartbreaking) and downright frightening (the dancing demon twins). I still have no idea what Christina is trying to pull with Ruby, or what the hell she wants with the orrery etc, or why bargain basement Alexander Skarsgard continues to reappear, blah blah blah...

I must confess that I'm almost completely tuning out the over-arching series story at this point. I just don't care about the magic, or Tic's family legacy, and I really don't care about Christina and what her machinations are - I drift away as soon as she comes on screen. As someone who normally loves supernatural elements, the whole wizard part of the story is actually boring the shit out of me.

What I am invested in are the characters - I really care about all of their fates, their everyday struggles, and I want them to survive and thrive. I do like how each episode is almost a self-contained story where we get to know the characters a bit better, and are given glimpses of major turning points in African American history.

I'm continuing to watch for the talented actors, the amazing sets, and of course some good scares along the way. I'd have to say that next to the haunted house story, the twins pursuing Dee, was one of the creepiest things featured on the show. Their relentless pursuit, peculiar jerky movements, and the fact that no one else other than Dee could see them, was pure nightmare fuel.

Wasn't expecting a shoggoth to appear this episode, but seeing it chow down on a bunch of racist cops was immensely satisfying.

And finally, having someone with dyslexia attempting to do a spell incantation is probably not a good idea, but it made me think of this cartoon which never fails to make me giggle:

how-to-summon-demon-lemon-man-i-hate-cursive-wizard-fail.jpg.0f019f884d8c33acb3033f99d124fb49.thumb.jpg.d088af2510a2b40020d943fd454d9de9.jpg

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 10/5/2020 at 12:21 AM, Chicago Redshirt said:

She hasn't outright lied to them, as far as we know, and she has helped them a number of ways (saving them from the racists, telling Tic about the sigil, making Leti bulletproof). All this may be setting them up for a long con down the road, or might end as soon as she gets what she wants, but stil

Adding now because I want to see if I'm right when u get to episode 10. 

Christina told Leti the Mark of Cain (unless I confused it with SPN) could also be used to heal. I'm guessing Christina sacrifices Tic to become immortal but, gave Leti the means to resurrect him after her spell is done.

I truly don't think Christina is evil, she's selfish and manipulative and clearly hates men, given how she's been treated it's totally understandable.

I think she will achieve immortality but, it won't be how/what she Expects.