Type keyword(s) to search

S46.E02: Bill Burr / Jack White

• Start Topic

22 hours ago, mikem said:

I thought it was strange that Bill Burr was trying to claim that he had never heard that June was Gay Pride month until this year.  It would have been strange for someone in his line of work and who lives in Los Angeles to have claimed that 5 years ago, let alone today.   Los Angeles has had a Pride parade in June since 1970.

I thought the whole monologue was weak and disappointing.  He can be quite funny but really didn't do well here.

Yes , the whole, "gays get a month in summer, Blacks get stuck with the shortest month in sucky weather,"  seems like a joke that's been told for 30 years or more. Has he spent a couple decades asleep?

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:
22 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I usually like Jim Carrey a lot, but I'm just not feeling him as Biden.

I agree. He can look the part, but the frenzied mania seems out of place as a Joe Biden impression. 

So it's an opportunity for Carrey to show he can turn off the frenzy long enough for the skit. 🙏

Maya threw a really good Philly accent in there.  That's what you get for hanging around with Tina Fey for a long time.   I don't remember there being very many First Ladies in sketches in the past, so if Biden wins, they might not need a cast member to be Jill, but if so, maybe they can get Tina in to do a little coaching on the right accent.

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

So it's an opportunity for Carrey to show he can turn off the frenzy long enough for the skit. 🙏

Narrator:  He can't.

I loathe Jim Carrey for that frenzied mania.  He ruins everything he is in.

• Love 9

I thought the monologue was hilarious. I have electronically been pushed out of racial discussions because WW want to do the talking for me, a Black woman. The minute those black boxes appeared on IG, it became all about performative wokeness. None of us asked for that. Not only have I lived my life as a Black woman, I actually have a degree in AA studies, so them sending me suggestions on books to learn about racism in America may be the WORST unintended effect of this "new normal." Felt like he was speaking for me on that topic.

Found "equator people" so funny I choked on my water. I assume I appreciated it knowing he has a black wife and black children. But honestly, it was funny. I would love July as Black History Month. 

Chloe should take a run as Dr. Biden, because Heidi's features are all wrong. Jill has pointy features, Heidi has very round ones.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

Felt like he was speaking for me on that topic.

But I think that's kind of why it rankled.  If Issa were to do that joke about white women next week, I'd probably love it.  She definitely has room to talk. But a white man doing it? 

• Love 8
On 10/10/2020 at 10:52 PM, vb68 said:

That monologue was....something. 

Yeah. Misjudged would be one word!

But I felt the show recovered from that (thank God) and went on to be one of the more consistently good ones. Burr as an actor was funnier than as a standup. Go figure.

P.S. I do not believe that Burr was unaware of what Pride Month celebrates. Comedy is based in truth. When you start from a premise that's an obvious lie, comedy dies.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, cpcathy said:

I have to be honest, I love Fred Armisen, he’s very funny.

Have you seen Fred Telling all About The Book Covers on Seth's Show ? I LIKE THOSE ! He also Talks about Paintings On Seth's Show !

21 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

I wonder if Chloe would have been a better fit to be Jill Biden. I also agree that Heidi's Jill Biden is not that great. 

She has a bit of a PA accent, not a southern one or whatever Heidi was trying to do. But yeah, it could be improved for sure.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

Yes , the whole, "gays get a month in summer, Blacks get stuck with the shortest month in sucky weather,"  seems like a joke that's been told for 30 years or more. Has he spent a couple decades asleep?

“Black History Month is in the shortest month of the year, and the coldest—just in case we want to have a parade." - Chris Rock

https://time.com/3707793/chris-rock-black-history-month/

• Love 2
On 10/11/2020 at 5:11 PM, film noire said:

@peacheslatour

My husband and I each have a list of five celebrities we're allowed to lust after. Jeff Goldblum has never not been on mine.

You have excellent taste, Peaches ; )

jeff goldblum.jpg

On 10/11/2020 at 9:29 PM, Thumper said:

Add me to the Jeff Goldblum fan club!

This recent interview has Jeff Goldblum in England and filming a Jurassic Park sequel when covidly possible: ew.com/movies/jeff-goldblum-recreates-shirtless-jurassic-park-scene 
Scroll down to see a still-barely-hot shirtless JG.
So, I guess this 

On 10/11/2020 at 8:07 PM, shapeshifter said:

I *really* want to see a skit with both Carrey and Goldblum as versions of The Fly.

won't be happening. 😞

• Love 5
On 10/11/2020 at 11:54 AM, kib said:

Usually a pretty good indication of the success or failure of the opening monologue can be read on the face of Lenny Pickett, who like Farmers Insurance, has seen a thing or two. My read was he couldn't get his facemask off and start playing sax for the first commercial break fast enough.

I can always tell (even with a mask on) when he likes the monologue, and with Bill Burr, he was NOT enjoying the monologue.  Nor was the gal behind him.  

I didn’t love all of the monologue myself, I thought it was ok.. but those two seemed pissed off.

On 10/11/2020 at 8:22 PM, Macbeth said:

I agree completely.  Jill is kick ass.  She blocked vegan protesters when they stormed the stage to get to Joe in March.

She really deserves who own sketch.  Too bad Cecily is gone.  

Uugh I don’t think Jill Biden kicks ass.  I didn’t like her blocking the vegans, they weren’t going to hurt him they just wanted to be heard.  Also Jill cheating on her first husband is not a great look.  

I was happy to see Pete looking well.  I thought Colin quit the show.  Is he still co-head writer with Che?

On 10/11/2020 at 6:11 PM, film noire said:

Makes sense - there was also an online petition, so that could muddy the waters.

You have excellent taste, Peaches ; )

jeff goldblum.jpg

I know this still screen shot of Jeff Goldblum !!

Anybody else ?

Okay, ...here you go: It's from 1976  - "Annie Hall". The California party scene at Paul Simon's house (cant recall his screen name ). Goldblum says on the phone: "....I forgot my mantra.". Emblematic of the times and the Ca cliche party scene which Woody Allen so hated and sarcastically characterized. It was wonderful. Might be Goldblum's first movie.

Edited by Bossa Nova
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

I'm not feeling Jim Carey's Biden.  I liked Jason Sudeikis's Biden better.  Jim Carey always does Jim Carey.  I noticed last week that he nailed Biden's voice at the beginning of the script then went into his own voice.  Last week was a better written script.  This week's not so much.

• Love 7
On 10/12/2020 at 10:38 AM, One Imaginary Girl said:

Maya threw a really good Philly accent in there.  That's what you get for hanging around with Tina Fey for a long time.   

Kamala Harris is from Oakland, California ?

They really missed by not putting enormous fake eyelashes on Maya.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

This recent interview has Jeff Goldblum in England and filming a Jurassic Park sequel when covidly possible: ew.com/movies/jeff-goldblum-recreates-shirtless-jurassic-park-scene 
Scroll down to see a still-barely-hot shirtless JG.
So, I guess this 

won't be happening. 😞

I bow down in "I'm  not worthy" style, Shapeshifter, for adding to my (our) lexicon the awesome yet terrible neologism, the adverb covidly.

It is how we do things these days, is it not?

• LOL 2
18 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

I can always tell (even with a mask on) when he likes the monologue, and with Bill Burr, he was NOT enjoying the monologue.  Nor was the gal behind him.  

I didn’t love all of the monologue myself, I thought it was ok.. but those two seemed pissed off.

Uugh I don’t think Jill Biden kicks ass.  I didn’t like her blocking the vegans, they weren’t going to hurt him they just wanted to be heard.  Also Jill cheating on her first husband is not a great look.  

I was happy to see Pete looking well.  I thought Colin quit the show.  Is he still co-head writer with Che?

I Thought Michael Che Had Left Saturday Night Live ! He Did NOT Look Happy On Saturday Night Live ! Michael Che Had Another TV Show With Sketches, But He Could Do What Ever Topic He Wanted To Do And He Was A Producer ! Lorne Michaels IS Also A Producer On This Show !

8 hours ago, monakane said:

I'm not feeling Jim Carey's Biden.  I liked Jason Sudeikis's Biden better.  Jim Carey always does Jim Carey.  I noticed last week that he nailed Biden's voice at the beginning of the script then went into his own voice.  Last week was a better written script.  This week's not so much.

Are You A Fan OF All MY Children ? That WAS MY Favorite Soap Opera ! I Know That Nobody Liked The Insults To The Other Races, But I Liked These Sketches Better Than The Sketches When Chris Rock Was The Host !

On 10/12/2020 at 4:41 PM, Irlandesa said:

But I think that's kind of why it rankled.  If Issa were to do that joke about white women next week, I'd probably love it.  She definitely has room to talk. But a white man doing it? 

FWIW it's worth, he's married to Nia Hill, a black woman.  She kicks ass (sometimes his) when she comes on his podcast. they have two kids now so she isn't on nearly as much.  They should have a TV show together.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, JZL said:

FWIW it's worth, he's married to Nia Hill, a black woman.  She kicks ass (sometimes his) when she comes on his podcast. they have two kids now so she isn't on nearly as much.  They should have a TV show together.

I know. I read that upthread.  But he's not his wife. 

• Love 9
5 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:
On 10/12/2020 at 9:55 PM, shapeshifter said:

I bow down in "I'm  not worthy" style, Shapeshifter, for adding to my (our) lexicon the awesome yet terrible neologism, the adverb covidly.

It is how we do things these days, is it not?

LOL! Glad you enjoyed/noticed. Quick, call the Oxford English Dictionary editors! 😂

Can we can also say that whoever was in charge of staging this episode did not give much thought to the covidity of spacing the actors? Or is it just "social distancing"? 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, chediavolo said:

Kept hearing about this clip of Eddie Van Halen they showed when he was on SNL. Where in the show was this? I did not see it. Did they tack it on in the last 3 seconds after I deleted it? WTF?

IIRC, it was on right before they took their final bows.  Which was after the Jack White segment and the commercials that followed.  It wasn't a complete clip, just a few seconds.  It acted a lot like the photos they show of the week's guest, it filled that kind of role, except in this case it was a memorial.

• Love 3

They belatedly added a cut-for-time piece. Written by Sam Jay and Gary Richardson, I believe. Not exactly new territory but some laughs, and good performances (especially by Chris and Pete). Also another example of the show seeming to be able to write for Punkie more than they can for the other new players. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 10/11/2020 at 6:43 PM, ebk57 said:

He's a fan and a friend of LZ, so I'd go with homage. 

He's a massive Zeppelin fan. He wrote a song about Stairway to Heaven called Tribute:

This is not The Greatest Song in the World, no.
This is just a tribute.
Couldn't remember The Greatest Song in the World, no, no.
This is a tribute, oh, to The Greatest Song in the World,
All right! It was The Greatest Song in the World,
All right! It was the best muthafuckin' song the greatest song in the world.

• Love 1

If anyone is interested, there was a documentary several years ago called It Might Get Loud with Jimmy Page, Jack White and The Edge, all about playing the guitar.  I thought it was excellent.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ebk57 said:

If anyone is interested, there was a documentary several years ago called It Might Get Loud with Jimmy Page, Jack White and The Edge, all about playing the guitar.  I thought it was excellent.

Yep. Two very talented guys and one very  lucky guy.

• Love 2
On 10/11/2020 at 1:00 AM, Galileo908 said:

Cold Open: The Debate That Will Change Everyone's Minds! I miss Maya so much, she killed it. And Beck is still great as Pence. It was already better than last week, for a number of reasons. Oh my god I was howling when Jim Carrey Biden went all The Fly on us. Herman Cain reincarnated as a fly was something I wasn't expecting, but I welcome it. Again, much better than last week. SNL is at its best when it's allowed to get weird. Only Jim Carrey can pull off Joe Biden turning into a fly turning into Jeff Goldblum.

Monologue: I forgot Bill Burr was also in The King of Staten Island, so that's why he could come here. He was killing it, as expected. Bill Burr is really known for saying things that'll lose the crowd, then wins them back. But WHEW, closing on the Pride Month stuff? He knew he was losing the crowd there.

Unpresidented: Bill Burr has constant Will Ferrell in "Get off the shed" energy, it's perfect for this sketch. Just that internalized rage that we all have, it's relatable.

The Blitz: Oh crap it went there. It's nice to see Bill Burr being uncomfortable. I was half expecting his wig to come off with that bear hood. Now THIS is cringe humor.

Enough is Enough: "...I'm not famous enough?" Loved Beck in this. Also, he didn't wash after going to the bathroom.

Hey, this Morgan Wallen guy isn't half bad!

Just kidding, Jack White was great.

WU: Yeah, why get Alec Baldwin when Trump does weird Good Neighbor style videos for free? Che no longer gave a fuck and I am here for it. I was loving Kate as Dr. Weknowdis. It seemed like she was channeling Groucho Marx for that. How much of it was a bit, and how much of it was her and Colin breaking character? And Pete was great once again. You gotta wonder just how recently he read those cue cards. Did he know those self burns were coming, or was it like Stefon and he just saw some of those lines for the first time?

Don Paulie: Woke Mafia is a funny idea. Bill Burr definitely brings a "boomer vs millennials/gen z" divide to his sketches. Was this the first time Punkie was in a sketch? Jamie Kennedy was a name I haven't heard in forever.

Sam Adams: Yeah, a Boston sketch was inevitable. And a Sam Adams pumpkin beer was perfect for this. The fact that he wore a cast told one heck of a story. Was there a blurred out penis drawn on it? This was pretty much like the Casey Affleck Dunkin Donuts ad, but I still liked this one.

And an Eddie Van Halen tribute for the road.

This episode is certainly gonna be divisive, but I liked it. Looking forward to Issa Rae next week.

Galileo, I just wanted to thank you for the episode recaps that you do.  While we don't see completely eye to eye on things, I've learned that our tastes are similar.  I ALWAYS watch the monologue, then I look through your comments to decide which sketches are worth my time.  I appreciate it!

• Love 5

In his podcast, Burr was very thankful to everyone and talked about how nervous he was up until showtime.  He mentioned all the cast by name but singled out Kate, Heidi, and Punky (whom he knew from the Comedy Store in LA).

He also said he was supposed to host last March or April.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 10/18/2020 at 7:09 PM, TAG42481 said:

Galileo, I just wanted to thank you for the episode recaps that you do.  While we don't see completely eye to eye on things, I've learned that our tastes are similar.  I ALWAYS watch the monologue, then I look through your comments to decide which sketches are worth my time.  I appreciate it!

I Don't Understand How you Can Read Galileo's Message And Then Decide What Sketches To Watch ! Often, Galileo's Message Does Not Show Up Often When I Come Here Right After Saturday Night Live On TV ! Galileo Did NOT Even Ever Watch John Mulaney Last February And Technically Neither Has A Person Known As Stooge On Another Saturday Night Live Message Board !

On 10/23/2020 at 8:02 PM, Jody said:

I Don't Understand How you Can Read Galileo's Message And Then Decide What Sketches To Watch ! Often, Galileo's Message Does Not Show Up Often When I Come Here Right After Saturday Night Live On TV ! Galileo Did NOT Even Ever Watch John Mulaney Last February And Technically Neither Has A Person Known As Stooge On Another Saturday Night Live Message Board !

Jody, who said I come here immediately after SNL?  The show doesn't end up until 1am, and I'm normally in bed by then (or working a midnight shift).  I always record the show and watch it sometime on Sunday.

• Love 1
On 10/11/2020 at 1:03 PM, vb68 said:

Oh, I thought it was incredibly endearing and worked really well. It connected on a very human level trying to get through our present time. I disagree it had any real meaning.

Bowen is another one who will apparently be in and out. He also had some other commitments pushed back. I know he's doing some voice work. I heard him on Archer the other week.

I'm shocked to hear Jeff Goldblum volunteered to come in. The word was he's filming the next Jurassic Park film in New Zealand and couldn't commit. But boy talk about wasted opportunities! 

I Think I Read That They Shut Down Production On Jurassic Park Because OF The Corona Virus SO Jeff Was Available To Come On Saturday Night Live, But Lorne Told Him NO So Jim Carey Could Do His Jeff GoldBlum Impression !

On 10/11/2020 at 1:33 PM, rmontro said:

That really distracted me.  He sat down to go to the bathroom, didn't wipe, and didn't wash his hands.

I liked the Unpresidented sketch, it showed the pettiness of how people interact when they socialize.  Good show overall, sometimes they're on, sometimes they're not.  This time they were on.

Jack White played an Eddie Van Halen Wolfgang guitar.  Then after the commercials they showed some old footage of Eddie on the show and a shoutout from Bill Burr at the end.  Nice.

IF Beck did NOT Wipe, Then, He Did NOT Need To Wash His Hands ! Now, The NOT Wiping Would Be Some Thing Else That You Might Not Have Liked !

On 10/29/2020 at 6:48 PM, TAG42481 said:

Jody, who said I come here immediately after SNL?  The show doesn't end up until 1am, and I'm normally in bed by then (or working a midnight shift).  I always record the show and watch it sometime on Sunday.

I Did NOT Know You Did that ! That's Different. I Can See Now How You Read What Galileo Thinks And Then Go And Watch What Sketches You Wanted To See !

On 10/11/2020 at 3:26 PM, Arkay said:

Agree 100%. After so many months of careful social distancing, it's a reflex now. I felt like gagging when Kate put that thing briefly in Colin's mouth. I also do not grasp the reasoning for masks during the goodnights, but throughout the show the cast is interacting closely and without masks. I was squirming to see the audience in clusters in an indoor setting. Testing daily didn't work for the White House or for baseball and football, where cases are rising, so there is certainly no guarantee for the cast and staff even if they are tested frequently. 

How we all long for the day when thinking this way is no longer a habit. 

Pete certainly looks so much healthier. I credit his mom having him at home. Kenan  has been looking thinner for awhile. 

I Don't Think They Do Any Testing AT The White House ! The Foot Ball Players Do NOT Wear Masks And They Are Being Tackled And Tackling Other Foot Ball Players And They Are ALL Sweaty ! ! They May Go To Parties Even IF They Are NOT Supposed To ! I Think They DO Test AT Saturday Night Live And Nobody Has The Corona Virus ! The People In The Audience AT Least Down Front Are Nurses So They Have Been Tested And Do NOT Have The Corona Virus ! I Don't Really Know IF They Have Regular People In The Balcony !

On 10/11/2020 at 3:31 PM, Fostersmom said:

Hasn't he been on the Jurassic Park film set that just got closed down to quarantine? The booted musical guest's management might have had something to say about that scenario had it happened. 

Carrey's angry version of Biden is horrible. I have NO idea what they think they are accomplishing or are even trying to accomplish. And I have to ask who the hell did Jill Biden piss off to garner Heidi's Jill? That was beyond horrible too. 

I Did NOT Think About IF Some Body Had Corona Virus On The Set OF Jurassic Park, Then Jeff Goldblum Could NOT Be On Saturday Night Live ! I Don't Think Any Body Got Them Mad So They Had Heidi Be Jill ! I Think They Just Decided To Use Heidi And Maybe She Is NOT The Best Choice OR She Doesn't Sound Like Jill !

On 10/11/2020 at 3:31 PM, Fostersmom said:

Hasn't he been on the Jurassic Park film set that just got closed down to quarantine? The booted musical guest's management might have had something to say about that scenario had it happened. 

Carrey's angry version of Biden is horrible. I have NO idea what they think they are accomplishing or are even trying to accomplish. And I have to ask who the hell did Jill Biden piss off to garner Heidi's Jill? That was beyond horrible too. 

I Heard That Jim Carey Almost Became A Cast Member On Saturday Night Live So Maybe This Is Their Way OF Making Jim Carey Be A Cast Member !

On 10/11/2020 at 8:07 PM, shapeshifter said:

In this case, we are referring to definitions 5 and 6 for the word "citation" (meaning "quoting a reference" https://www.dictionary.com/browse/citation), that is, we are doubting that Goldblum actually offered to do the SNL "Fly" sketch since a cursory Google search only finds fans making that request, not Jeff Goldblum himself; so we are asking to see a "citation" or URL to a quote of Goldblum expressing interest in doing the skit.
We did not mean definitions 3 and 4 ("a summons") which would suggest that someone should be issued a ticket or fine or fee or "citation" for not getting Goldblum for the skit.

I would have *loved* to see Jeff Goldblum on SNL as "The Fly," but I thought Carrey was great, possibly even better.

ETA: And now, as an old scifi nerd, I *really* want to see a skit with both Carrey and Goldblum as versions of The Fly.

Thank You ! I Had Not Heard OF A Citation Being A Quote !

On 10/11/2020 at 8:22 PM, Macbeth said:

I agree completely.  Jill is kick ass.  She blocked vegan protesters when they stormed the stage to get to Joe in March.

She really deserves who own sketch.  Too bad Cecily is gone.  

I Think Heidi Doesn't Know What She Is Doing ! I Did NOT Notice A Southern Drawl, But IF There Was A Southern Drawl, Then, Joe Is From Delaware So I Guess Jill Is Also From Delaware And That Is In The North East Part OF The Country ! That IS Up North !

On 10/11/2020 at 10:59 PM, madpsych78 said:

I wonder if Chloe would have been a better fit to be Jill Biden. I also agree that Heidi's Jill Biden is not that great. 

Was Chloe Even On Last Night ? I Don't Think I Saw Her !

On 10/12/2020 at 12:38 PM, One Imaginary Girl said:

Maya threw a really good Philly accent in there.  That's what you get for hanging around with Tina Fey for a long time.   I don't remember there being very many First Ladies in sketches in the past, so if Biden wins, they might not need a cast member to be Jill, but if so, maybe they can get Tina in to do a little coaching on the right accent.

Is Jill Biden From Philadelphia ?

On 10/12/2020 at 2:08 PM, BoogieBurns said:

I thought the monologue was hilarious. I have electronically been pushed out of racial discussions because WW want to do the talking for me, a Black woman. The minute those black boxes appeared on IG, it became all about performative wokeness. None of us asked for that. Not only have I lived my life as a Black woman, I actually have a degree in AA studies, so them sending me suggestions on books to learn about racism in America may be the WORST unintended effect of this "new normal." Felt like he was speaking for me on that topic.

Found "equator people" so funny I choked on my water. I assume I appreciated it knowing he has a black wife and black children. But honestly, it was funny. I would love July as Black History Month. 

Chloe should take a run as Dr. Biden, because Heidi's features are all wrong. Jill has pointy features, Heidi has very round ones.

I Think Chloe Is STILL A Featured Player So Maybe Lorne Would Think The First Lady Should Be In The Main Cast !