Type keyword(s) to search

S46.E02: Bill Burr / Jack White

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, saoirse said:

Agreed!

Pete's bit was actually one of the best of his I've seen in awhile. Knock wood, it's good to see him looking well. I have a soft spot for that kid!

Quarantining with his mom was apparently the best rehab he could have ever done. Who would have guessed? If Pete's mom ever wants a new gig, she should just start running rehab in her basement. 

5 hours ago, Melina22 said:

Am I the only one who thinks it's too soon for all the Herman Cain jokes? I've been seeing so many memes about him and now him tonight as a comical fly? I mean he just died. I find it hard to believe his family is finding this all hilarious. 

His family signed off on him tweeting from the dead about how COVID  isn't all that dangerous. They don't get a say IMO. 

Edited by Fostersmom
  • Useful 1
  • Love 14
8 hours ago, vb68 said:

I'm not sure if Kate's segment went off the rails on purpose or not, but it was hilarious.

The WU bit? It was tedious for me. It's one thing if people break. It's another to keep saying the same thing over and over and laugh at yourself. It was a little Andy Kaufman-ish for me, not in any sort of genius, but in its lack of any meaning.

I like Burr's comedy stand up and have seen all of them. He was playing it safe  on SNL, given the broader audience. I think it caused him to hesitate a bit and shift gears here and there, which isn't his forte. His standup is actually better. It's rough, but like all good comedy, it has truth in it.

• Love 5

Is the SNL cast following the cohort path (like my high schoolers will be if we ever get back to in-person school)?  Maybe the reason why we're not seeing everyone together is so they have a second group on hand in case of exposure.  

• Useful 5
  • Love 5

This episode was a big whiff for me, honestly. Didn't really laugh or get invested in anything. It was better executed on a technical level than last week (fewer missed cues, etc.) but nothing really grabbed me. The whole "dang kids these days, wanting a better and more respectful world for all people" undercurrent got very old, very fast.

The cast imbalance is really glaring. I know Cecily's remote and Aidy's going to be in and out, but it felt like a lot of people were missing tonight. Don't think we saw anything from Melissa, Bowen, or Andrew. I don't even particularly like Melissa but she will be the senior-most female cast member when Kate, Cecily, and Aidy leave, and she hasn't had a single sketch in two episodes. That must be really disheartening.

The Sam Adams commercial was good, and I enjoyed Pete's bit if only because I know JK Rowling will watch it and get mad.

• Love 6
43 minutes ago, nickp1991 said:

Jeff Goldblum OFFERED to play the fly for SNL and they turned it down

Oh godammit!

That being said, if they just had the one fly as Herman Cain reincarnated, that would have worked just fine. 

Michael Che's commentary on WE was perfection. I'll leave it at that.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, vb68 said:

I was really enjoying the debate sketch until they had Biden transporting into "The Fly" and then it was just a mess. But Maya was killing it.

Maya was killing it - but they tanked the sketch for Carrey doing a Goldblum impression.

Goldblum offered to play the fly and they turned it down!!  It didn't work without Goldblum.  Sometimes SNL is just beyond clueless.  The opening wasn't working with Biden as the fly.  They really needed to rethink that sketch.

But that wasn't the only thing they needed to rethink re this episode.

After the monologue I wasn't watching any sketch that guy was in.

Che was awesome in WU. I love when he gives no Fs.  That is the best Che.

Edited by Macbeth
  • Love 6

Usually a pretty good indication of the success or failure of the opening monologue can be read on the face of Lenny Pickett, who like Farmers Insurance, has seen a thing or two. My read was he couldn't get his facemask off and start playing sax for the first commercial break fast enough.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4

The cold open might have been passable if they had left Biden out of it. I hate Jim Carrey's Fire Marshall Biden imitation. Why not have Alec be Trump The Fly on Pence's head. They could have had a take on Trump's COVID meds shrinking him down to give Pence pointers on how to ruin a debate. That might have been actually funny. Maybe.

I did not know Bill Burr, and it appears I might be the only viewer who liked his monologue.

The LOL moment for me came via Pete in WU. That was a golden moment. I also liked the Woke Mafia, which maybe is why I enjoyed Burr's monologue.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 7

I don't understand how the cast can perform together as we saw, yet, still keep a social safe distance and with no masks ?!

Shorter point: they were all too close together, no masks. 

I don't get what their protocols for cast safety are. 

Changing the subject: Pete Davidson looked very good - as in very healthy. His face has filled out, his eyes had no circles under them. He looked very well rested. Good on him. Keenan Thompson looks like he dropped a bit of weight - especially in his face. 

Edited by Bossa Nova
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, Ottis said:

The WU bit? It was tedious for me. It's one thing if people break. It's another to keep saying the same thing over and over and laugh at yourself. It was a little Andy Kaufman-ish for me, not in any sort of genius, but in its lack of any meaning.

Oh, I thought it was incredibly endearing and worked really well. It connected on a very human level trying to get through our present time. I disagree it had any real meaning.

2 hours ago, helenamonster said:

The cast imbalance is really glaring. I know Cecily's remote and Aidy's going to be in and out, but it felt like a lot of people were missing tonight. Don't think we saw anything from Melissa, Bowen, or Andrew.

Bowen is another one who will apparently be in and out. He also had some other commitments pushed back. I know he's doing some voice work. I heard him on Archer the other week.

I'm shocked to hear Jeff Goldblum volunteered to come in. The word was he's filming the next Jurassic Park film in New Zealand and couldn't commit. But boy talk about wasted opportunities! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I thought it was strange that Bill Burr was trying to claim that he had never heard that June was Gay Pride month until this year.  It would have been strange for someone in his line of work and who lives in Los Angeles to have claimed that 5 years ago, let alone today.   Los Angeles has had a Pride parade in June since 1970.

I thought the whole monologue was weak and disappointing.  He can be quite funny but really didn't do well here.

• Love 5
46 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I did not know Bill Burr, and it appears I might be the only viewer who liked his monologue.

I'd never heard of him, either, and I liked his monologue.  I gasped a couple of times, which is the right amount for me.

13 hours ago, saoirse said:

Pete's bit was actually one of the best of his I've seen in awhile. Knock wood, it's good to see him looking well. I have a soft spot for that kid!

I do, too.  I adore his little things on Weekend Update, which is all I really know about him. 

When the lockdowns started, the last movie I'd seen in a theater was Big Time Adolescence.  When I was thinking about whether movie theaters would ever open again, I decided it would be a pretty good way for me to go out.

• Love 1

Bill Burr's humor is not my humor. He's also kind of a screamer.

I'm glad SNL bounced the original musical guest for breaking Covid protocol. That sends a good message to everyone, especially with parts of NYC experiencing a huge jump in new cases.

All the skits were too long, not that this is a new problem for the show even pre-pandemic. Kate's WU thing was excruciating, though the rest of WU was pretty sharp.

4 hours ago, Bossa Nova said:

I don't understand how the cast can perform together as we saw, yet, still keep a social safe distance and with no masks ?!

I think they're tested daily, and they probably follow a strict protocol, unlike the original musical guest.

Edited by dubbel zout
verb tense
  • Love 9
13 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Enough is Enough: "...I'm not famous enough?" Loved Beck in this. Also, he didn't wash after going to the bathroom.

That really distracted me.  He sat down to go to the bathroom, didn't wipe, and didn't wash his hands.

I liked the Unpresidented sketch, it showed the pettiness of how people interact when they socialize.  Good show overall, sometimes they're on, sometimes they're not.  This time they were on.

Jack White played an Eddie Van Halen Wolfgang guitar.  Then after the commercials they showed some old footage of Eddie on the show and a shoutout from Bill Burr at the end.  Nice.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, mikem said:

I thought the whole monologue was weak and disappointing.  

I agree  - felt like I was watching someone do a live performance of an incel Reddit rant. 

Also didn't like evidence of Burr's sticky fingers: Chris Rock dropped the Black History month/shortest month/so cold we can't have a parade bit years ago (-> insert my "edgy" rant about white comics stealing intellectual property from a member of the "equator people").  And as for Burr's white "bitches"  (psst, dude? Most white women in the U.S. can't afford Gucci boots, me included) nothing new there: many white men love beating up women (of every colour) but it was a missed opportunity to make a sharp-eyed observation re: wealthy/influential white women using wokeness for business, political, or media branding.  (Then again,  to men like Burr, all white women are clearly the same.)  One last thing that made me roll my eyes: Burr's carelessness re: the refs he drops into his routines. "Equator people" having certain attributes is an idea that has been used to justify racist perceptions throughout history (including the "fact" that non-Caucasian cultures are "inherently" lazy, and therefore poor -  isn't that hilarious?)  

I would've liked to see a white male comic mock the racism behind the phrase, not apply it to African  Americans wanting to celebate their history (but what do I know? Just a bitch needing to be put in her place - amirite, ladies?)

Edited by film noire
  • Love 16

A horrible, unfunny episode pretty much all the way through, with the awful monologue setting the tone. As 'comics' go, Burr reminds me of Andrew Dice Clay, who also was plenty offensive, but never insightful or funny. He was popular, briefly, but flamed out quickly, and hopefully Burr will do the same.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Bossa Nova said:

Changing the subject: Pete Davidson looked very good - as in very healthy. His face has filled out, his eyes had no circles under them. He looked very well rested. Good on him. Keenan Thompson looks like he dropped a bit of weight - especially in his face. 

Agree 100%. After so many months of careful social distancing, it's a reflex now. I felt like gagging when Kate put that thing briefly in Colin's mouth. I also do not grasp the reasoning for masks during the goodnights, but throughout the show the cast is interacting closely and without masks. I was squirming to see the audience in clusters in an indoor setting. Testing daily didn't work for the White House or for baseball and football, where cases are rising, so there is certainly no guarantee for the cast and staff even if they are tested frequently. 

How we all long for the day when thinking this way is no longer a habit. 

Pete certainly looks so much healthier. I credit his mom having him at home. Kenan  has been looking thinner for awhile. 

• Love 10
5 hours ago, nickp1991 said:

Hasn't he been on the Jurassic Park film set that just got closed down to quarantine? The booted musical guest's management might have had something to say about that scenario had it happened. 

3 hours ago, Macbeth said:

Carrey's version of Biden does not work for me at all.  One critic said that Carrey was just reworking his Fire Marshall impersonation from In Living Color.  That rings true to me.

Biden is very empathetic.  The humor potential for portraying him on SNL is that it kills him to be socially distant from people.

He's definitely not crazy.  

Carrey's angry version of Biden is horrible. I have NO idea what they think they are accomplishing or are even trying to accomplish. And I have to ask who the hell did Jill Biden piss off to garner Heidi's Jill? That was beyond horrible too. 

• Love 9
5 hours ago, nickp1991 said:

That would have worked great! We get a closeup of the fly on Pence's head, and it's Goldblum. I love his sense of humor and whole demeanor. He think he really would have elevated the sketch.

I was not a fan of it as it was, except I think Beck had some funny lines that didn't hit because the audience was laughing at what Maya was doing. 

3 minutes ago, Arkay said:

I felt like gagging when Kate put that thing briefly in Colin's mouth.

I don't think she put it in his mouth. I think she hit outside his mouth, which was why Colin recoiled like he did.

I didn't think Burr's monologue was too edgy. I've never seen him do standup before. The only thing I know him from is Breaking Bad. I thought he was really good in the sketches, particularly the Samuel Adams one, which was my favorite one of the night.

In the Mafia family sketch, I love when there's the closeup of Alex Moffet saying, "No. Kutcher was Punk'd."  I don't know that was so funny, but it was one of the biggest laughs of the night for me. I also liked when Beck (who looked like Robert Deniro) cried a bit.

Some good jokes in WU. One of them I liked was with the video of Trump tossing out hats to the crowd, prompting Colin to say he's like an evil Oprah. "You're getting Covid! You're getting Covid!" 

Kate's appearances were weird. In the first sketch, she played it too big. Burr was really good, and Kate did not match him in tone. And then in WU she was so goofy. When Colin asked if she was all right I really thought he was being sincere, but it was all part of the bit. 

I enjoyed Jack White's performances. However, when I first heard that he was the substitute MG, I was picturing Jack Black being the guest. Doh.

• Love 4

Bill was basically Bill....one of my faves but I'm also in his cohort: Massachusetts, 50s, white Irish-Catholic guy....I can see how he turns off some.

Agree with others here, interestingly, like Trump himself, they are having a hard-time defining Biden as a character.

Besides several of the monologue jokes being jokes I've essentially heard other comics do before, I was annoyed at his jumping off point of "why June?"  Why June has an answer: Because that's when the Stonewall riots were.

It'd be one thing if it were arbitrarily selected, but it wasn't. So given that part of the premise was "I didn't know about this and now I do"...nope, ya still don't. It ruins the joke when the punchline is dependent on the audience not knowing a thing or thinking a thing is inherently ridiculous but I'm like...uh there's a very real and plain and not absurd answer.

• Useful 1
  • Love 20
17 hours ago, saoirse said:
17 hours ago, vb68 said:

I was really enjoying the debate sketch until they had Biden transporting into "The Fly" and then it was just a mess. But Maya was killing it.

Yeah, that was...really unfortunate. Clearly they wanted to have Carrey show off some impressions, but it was largely unnecessary.

I loved Maya in the debate and then loved even more Carrey doing Jeff Goldblum's The Fly, but I did wonder if The Fly was a little too old for most viewers to be familiar with, even though the internet was blowing up with demands for Goldblum to do it. That said, they included enough of The Fly backstory to clue in those who didn't know it.

3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:
6 hours ago, nickp1991 said:

Citation?

Yeah, as far as I can see, OP must have either misunderstood that it was the fans demanding for Goldblum to do the Pence Fly, or perhaps someone speculated that Goldblum wanted to do it and then someone else took the speculation and posted it as fact and then OP read that. 
So, yes, this is a good example of when a citation is needed.

Anyway, I am a fan of both Carrey and Goldblum, so this worked for me.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I loved Maya in the debate and then loved even more Carrey doing Jeff Goldblum's The Fly, but I did wonder if The Fly was a little too old for most viewers to be familiar with, even though the internet was blowing up with demands for Goldblum to do it. That said, they included enough of The Fly backstory to clue in those who didn't know it.

Yeah, as far as I can see, OP must have either misunderstood that it was the fans demanding for Goldblum to do the Pence Fly, or perhaps someone speculated that Goldblum wanted to do it and then someone else took the speculation and posted it as fact and then OP read that. 
So, yes, this is a good example of when a citation is needed.

Anyway, I am a fan of both Carrey and Goldblum, so this worked for me.

My husband and I each have a list of five celebrities we're allowed to lust after. Jeff Goldblum has never not been on mine.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Arkay said:

I also do not grasp the reasoning for masks during the goodnights, but throughout the show the cast is interacting closely and without masks.

There were a lot more people onstage for the goodnight than in any sketch. I think they also want to model good behavior.

• Love 4

16 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

perhaps someone speculated that Goldblum wanted to do it and then someone else took the speculation and posted it as fact and then OP read that. 

Makes sense - there was also an online petition, so that could muddy the waters.

@peacheslatour

My husband and I each have a list of five celebrities we're allowed to lust after. Jeff Goldblum has never not been on mine.

You have excellent taste, Peaches ; )

jeff goldblum.jpg

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Bossa Nova said:

I Like Pete Better With The Black Hair Rather Than When Pete Had The Long, White Hair ! The Long, White Hair Made Pete Look SO  OLD ! Actually, Kenan Lost Weight In 2010 And IT Was Very Noticeable !

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

And I have to ask who the hell did Jill Biden piss off to garner Heidi's Jill? That was beyond horrible too. 

I'm glad somebody else noticed that, too. I generally like Heidi, but that couldn't have been further off the mark.  It seemed like Heidi didn't have foggiest idea what she was trying to do.

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I loved Maya in the debate and then loved even more Carrey doing Jeff Goldblum's The Fly, but I did wonder if The Fly was a little too old for most viewers to be familiar with, even though the internet was blowing up with demands for Goldblum to do it.

Oh, I'm definitely old enough to remember it. Trust me and my aching joints. 

• Love 7
6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Citation?

What Do YOU Mean When You Say Citation ? Should Lorne Get A Ticket For NOT Using The Person Who Had Been IN The Movie THE FLY ? Should Lorne Get A Citation For NOT Using The Person Who Asked To Do The SKETCH ?

29 minutes ago, Jody said:

What Do YOU Mean When You Say Citation ? Should Lorne Get A Ticket For NOT Using The Person Who Had Been IN The Movie THE FLY ? Should Lorne Get A Citation For NOT Using The Person Who Asked To Do The SKETCH ?

In this case, we are referring to definitions 5 and 6 for the word "citation" (meaning "quoting a reference" https://www.dictionary.com/browse/citation), that is, we are doubting that Goldblum actually offered to do the SNL "Fly" sketch since a cursory Google search only finds fans making that request, not Jeff Goldblum himself; so we are asking to see a "citation" or URL to a quote of Goldblum expressing interest in doing the skit.
We did not mean definitions 3 and 4 ("a summons") which would suggest that someone should be issued a ticket or fine or fee or "citation" for not getting Goldblum for the skit.

citation
noun

1. Military. mention of a soldier or a unit in orders, usually for gallantry:She received a presidential citation.
  2. any award or commendation, as for outstanding service, hard work, or devotion to duty, especially a formal letter or statement recounting a person's achievements.
  3. a summons, especially to appear in court.
  4. a document containing such a summons.
  5. the act of citing or quoting a reference to an authority or a precedent.
  6. a passage cited; quotation.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/citation

I would have *loved* to see Jeff Goldblum on SNL as "The Fly," but I thought Carrey was great, possibly even better.

ETA: And now, as an old scifi nerd, I *really* want to see a skit with both Carrey and Goldblum as versions of The Fly.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 3
  • Love 5

Why did Jill Biden have southern drawl?

Wonder if that "unpresidented" sketch came out of Dan Savage referring to Megan Three Stallion on his podcast? Hear tell he got dragged on twitter for that mistake and then he devoted part of his next podcast for an unnecessarily long explanation which basically amounted to "get off my lawn."

Jason Momoa! (Is he balding? His forehead seemed awfully large. 😮)

So Jack White shamelessly bites on Led Zeppelin's style or does he consider it an homage of sorts?

Pete Davidson looks so much healthier now. Even his eyes seem brighter to me. Good for him.

I thought that second song Jack White did hinted a bit at War's  Slippin' Into Darkness. Another retro reference.

Burr's carelessness re: the refs he drops into his routines. "Equator people" having certain attributes is an idea that has been used to justify racist perceptions throughout history (including the "fact" that non-Caucasian cultures are "inherently" lazy, and therefore poor -  isn't that hilarious?)  

I can't defend the equator people thing but FWIW, Burr is married to a Black woman and has two children with her. She occasionally appears on his podcast and it's clear she is not tolerant of racism. He was also a cast member of Dave Chappelle's show back in the 00's, which had largely Black cast. I think the odds are Burr has earned non-racist bona fides and when he says things like "equator people" he is either mocking racists or repeating something he's actually heard Black people say in jest. His not providing any context though pretty much leaves him open to misinterpretation. (And also FWIW, I'm an off and on fan of his. Right now it's more off because I'm not appreciating the bothsidesing he's been doing on his podcast wrt certain political issues.)

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, vb68 said:

I'm glad somebody else noticed that, too. I generally like Heidi, but that couldn't have been further off the mark.  It seemed like Heidi didn't have foggiest idea what she was trying to do.

Oh, I'm definitely old enough to remember it. Trust me and my aching joints. 

I agree completely.  Jill is kick ass.  She blocked vegan protesters when they stormed the stage to get to Joe in March.

She really deserves who own sketch.  Too bad Cecily is gone.  

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

No one does Biden like Jason. Just the right amount of aw shucks looney tune and nice guy. Come back! 

Loved Jack White. Had never heard of Bill Burr, not that impressed.

Jason Is On That TV Show Whee He Is A Coach On A Soccer Team ! That Is Ted Lasso !

26 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

So Jack White shamelessly bites on Led Zeppelin's style or does he consider it an homage of sorts?

He's a fan and a friend of LZ, so I'd go with homage. 

• Love 5

Jason’s Biden is the best.  I don’t like either of the others.  Jim Carrey makes that weird grimace-like grin that is not Biden.  He did look good in the sunglasses!  Enjoyed his Jeff Goldblum “Fly.”  Add me to the Jeff Goldblum fan club!

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I can't defend the equator people thing but FWIW, Burr is married to a Black woman 

I know he's married to Nia Renee Hill,  but I don't believe men can point to the lived experience of their wives as armor or street cred that they themselves are not misogynist, racist, classist, etc. 

I think Burr needs to stand on his own when it comes to his material and be judged as such,  without his wife and kids factored in as some kind of moral proof. JMO (eta; sincerely just my opinion, not a snotty sideswipe ; )

Edited by film noire
  • Love 12
On 10/11/2020 at 1:22 AM, Melina22 said:

Am I the only one who thinks it's too soon for all the Herman Cain jokes? I've been seeing so many memes about him and now him tonight as a comical fly? I mean he just died. I find it hard to believe his family is finding this all hilarious. 

As a fan of "too soon" humor, I think it wasn't soon enough, but SNL wasn't on the air right when he died.  The circumstances of Cain's death were the stuff of Darwin Awards.  Any anti-masker dying of COVID is hilarious. 

I would have wanted SNL to rub it in if Chris Christie had croaked, although it seems like he is out of the hospital now.  Given his relevance to the area, how unpopular he is, and how easy of a target he provides, I think the writers could have been motivated to give us their best in mocking someone like Christie, although maybe we would have only gotten a Weekend Update joke about COVID shutting down most of the lanes to Christie's lungs.

• LOL 4
45 minutes ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

Lorne kept Armisen around for years and he was hardly ever funny, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Are you we going to be stuck with Carrey's Biden? He is good in small doses and In Living Color is my favorite show, but I felt he was shoved in due to the relevance of his paintings, which he does almost daily, anyway.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 1