Type keyword(s) to search

S46.E02: Bill Burr / Jack White

• Start Topic

Bill Burr's an interesting choice, and this will be two stand-ups hosting in a row.

He knows Pete Davidson and was in The King of Staten Island, which I've not yet seen.

He's also in the movie, The Opening Act, which debuts in a couple weeks, but that seems to be a fairly "small"movie.

Hrrrmmm.

King of Staten Island was enjoyable, and Bill Burr was really good in it. I hope the show has its head together this week. I’m already hoping Jim Carrey is too busy to appear as Biden. 
Dumb move, Morgan Wallen! 

17 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Morgan Wallen is out. 

Interesting. That was definitely the right call, and he misses a fantastic opportunity to promote himself and his music. Too bad for him. 

• Love 1

I love Jack White and that genre but he wasn't very good the last time he was on.

Perhaps he'll revert to a single-mic set up (two at the most) and leave the three-mic shows to Neal Brennan.

3 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Wow - Sorry Morgan whateveryourname is, but...  JACK WHITE!!!    We (well, I do, at least) win!!!!! 

Yeah, I was just thinking, it's a classic example of trading UP!

• Love 3

Jack White said on Instagram that he will be performing with a guitar Eddie Van Halen custom-made for him (but won't be performing a Van Halen song as he doesn't feel worthy).

https://www.spin.com/2020/10/jack-white-to-honor-eddie-van-halen-on-snl-by-playing-custom-designed-guitar/

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, vb68 said:

I was really enjoying the debate sketch until they had Biden transporting into "The Fly" and then it was just a mess. But Maya was killing it.

Yeah, that was...really unfortunate. Clearly they wanted to have Carrey show off some impressions, but it was largely unnecessary.

I'm not sure about Bill Burr so far. He's kinda....cringe-y.

ETA: Okay, he won me back A BIT there...

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, saoirse said:

Yeah, that was...really unfortunate. Clearly they wanted to have Carrey show off some impressions, but it was largely unnecessary.

I'm not sure about Bill Burr so far. He's kinda....cringe-y.

ETA: Okay, he won me back A BIT there...

I don't know. I think I'm sticking with cringe-y

• Love 18
16 minutes ago, vb68 said:

I was really enjoying the debate sketch until they had Biden transporting into "The Fly" and then it was just a mess. But Maya was killing it.

I was really happy to see "Cool Aunt" Kamala back!

• Love 12
1 minute ago, vb68 said:

Jack White is AWESOME! I enjoyed every second of that. So glad they got him at the at second.  Morgan who?

If I could like this post eleventy billion times,  I would. I love Jack White!!!

• Love 4
Just now, vb68 said:

I'm not sure if Kate's segment went off the rails on purpose or not, but it was hilarious.

Agreed!

Pete's bit was actually one of the best of his I've seen in awhile. Knock wood, it's good to see him looking well. I have a soft spot for that kid!

• Love 20

Cold Open: The Debate That Will Change Everyone's Minds! I miss Maya so much, she killed it. And Beck is still great as Pence. It was already better than last week, for a number of reasons. Oh my god I was howling when Jim Carrey Biden went all The Fly on us. Herman Cain reincarnated as a fly was something I wasn't expecting, but I welcome it. Again, much better than last week. SNL is at its best when it's allowed to get weird. Only Jim Carrey can pull off Joe Biden turning into a fly turning into Jeff Goldblum.

Monologue: I forgot Bill Burr was also in The King of Staten Island, so that's why he could come here. He was killing it, as expected. Bill Burr is really known for saying things that'll lose the crowd, then wins them back. But WHEW, closing on the Pride Month stuff? He knew he was losing the crowd there.

Unpresidented: Bill Burr has constant Will Ferrell in "Get off the shed" energy, it's perfect for this sketch. Just that internalized rage that we all have, it's relatable.

The Blitz: Oh crap it went there. It's nice to see Bill Burr being uncomfortable. I was half expecting his wig to come off with that bear hood. Now THIS is cringe humor.

Enough is Enough: "...I'm not famous enough?" Loved Beck in this. Also, he didn't wash after going to the bathroom.

Hey, this Morgan Wallen guy isn't half bad!

Just kidding, Jack White was great.

WU: Yeah, why get Alec Baldwin when Trump does weird Good Neighbor style videos for free? Che no longer gave a fuck and I am here for it. I was loving Kate as Dr. Weknowdis. It seemed like she was channeling Groucho Marx for that. How much of it was a bit, and how much of it was her and Colin breaking character? And Pete was great once again. You gotta wonder just how recently he read those cue cards. Did he know those self burns were coming, or was it like Stefon and he just saw some of those lines for the first time?

Don Paulie: Woke Mafia is a funny idea. Bill Burr definitely brings a "boomer vs millennials/gen z" divide to his sketches. Was this the first time Punkie was in a sketch? Jamie Kennedy was a name I haven't heard in forever.

Sam Adams: Yeah, a Boston sketch was inevitable. And a Sam Adams pumpkin beer was perfect for this. The fact that he wore a cast told one heck of a story. Was there a blurred out penis drawn on it? This was pretty much like the Casey Affleck Dunkin Donuts ad, but I still liked this one.

And an Eddie Van Halen tribute for the road.

This episode is certainly gonna be divisive, but I liked it. Looking forward to Issa Rae next week.

• Love 12

Agree it was livelier and more energetic.  I loved the cold open, and the Sam Adams sketch was good.  Also enjoyed WU.  However, the rest wasn't really reaching me.  I don't know Bill Burr and I'm not really sorry about that.  I probably won't be seeking him out.

However, I will be watching the Raconteurs episode I have recorded from Austin City Limits momentarily ( second half was Black Pumas - also love them!).   Did I mention how much I love Jack White?  🙂 

• Love 5
53 minutes ago, vb68 said:

I'm not sure if Kate's segment went off the rails on purpose or not, but it was hilarious.

Considering the stuff that came after "Kate, Kate, are you okay?" I suspect it was intentional.  Although some of the stuff, like the blood pressure cuff squeaking again, was probably off-the-cuff. But when she tried to put the pipe she "smoking" in Colin's mouth, I yelled at my TV "there's a pandemic!"

The shock comic monologue was something I was a bit 50/50.  I didn't mind that he went very un-PC because that can sometimes fine but at the same time I resented the lack of nuance?  Dumb. I know.

I surprisingly did enjoy him in the sketches.  The Sam Adams one was pretty good. I especially liked how he and his son were wearing their masks like chin straps.

Jack was very energetic and I ended up liking his performances but I kind of have to wonder what the conversation to book him was like.  "Hey Jack, have you and your band basically been avoiding undue exposure in the past few weeks?"

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, ebk57 said:

I was really happy to see "Cool Aunt" Kamala back!

I loved the reference to Clair Huxtable because that's who I was thinking of in the actual debate.

I will say respectfully that Heidi's Jill Biden could use some work if that happens to be a recurring bit in the future.

45 minutes ago, Aileen said:

it seems like they’re working with only about half the cast tonight. I wonder if this will be their procedure going forward.

It is interesting to notice how the time gets divided without Cecily and Aidy around. It feels like Beck is stepping up a bit as a leader in the cast. 

• Love 7

I know Cecily was planning to do only remote, but no Aidy tonight? And no Melissa, when last week she was only in the good nights?

Jim Carrey makes me tired. All I ever see in his characterizations is Jim Carrey, not whomever he's portraying. The fly thing was a step too far.

I am thrilled to see Pete looking so much better. 

I don't know Bill Burr, so I was a little shocked at the monologue. I did enjoy him through the rest of the show, though. 

Jost and Kate breaking was fun. As for Che, I find him very hit and miss. I don't like mocking anyone's religion, so I for one didn't care for the joke about the masks burning for eight days.

I thought Woke Mafia was great, it really encapsulated how much things have changed over twenty years. Enough is Enough was great...we've all had enough and who knows which of our friends could finally crack?

Edited by Arkay
  • Love 4

Am I the only one who thinks it's too soon for all the Herman Cain jokes? I've been seeing so many memes about him and now him tonight as a comical fly? I mean he just died. I find it hard to believe his family is finding this all hilarious. 

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

Am I the only one who thinks it's too soon for all the Herman Cain jokes? I've been seeing so many memes about him and now him tonight as a comical fly? I mean he just died. I find it hard to believe his family is finding this all hilarious. 

His family apparently agreed to have his Twitter account continue to be used, which is one of the reasons his name is still out there. I did wonder if it was in the best taste to joke about him on SNL, but my main complaint was the whole thing felt half-written (as these political cold opens tend to do).

1 hour ago, Galileo908 said:

Don Paulie: Woke Mafia is a funny idea. Bill Burr definitely brings a "boomer vs millennials/gen z" divide to his sketches. Was this the first time Punkie was in a sketch? Jamie Kennedy was a name I haven't heard in forever.

Punkie was in two pieces last week (the woman Drew Barrymore redecorated a closet for, and in the NBA bubble sketch). She hasn't had a ton but of the three newcomers she seems to be the one who gets the most chance to perform (Lauren Holt is stuck doing Aidy-like parts, and Andrew Dismukes isn't even there).

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

Cold Open: The Debate That Will Change Everyone's Minds! I miss Maya so much, she killed it. And Beck is still great as Pence. It was already better than last week, for a number of reasons. Oh my god I was howling when Jim Carrey Biden went all The Fly on us. Herman Cain reincarnated as a fly was something I wasn't expecting, but I welcome it. Again, much better than last week. SNL is at its best when it's allowed to get weird. Only Jim Carrey can pull off Joe Biden turning into a fly turning into Jeff Goldblum.

Monologue: I forgot Bill Burr was also in The King of Staten Island, so that's why he could come here. He was killing it, as expected. Bill Burr is really known for saying things that'll lose the crowd, then wins them back. But WHEW, closing on the Pride Month stuff? He knew he was losing the crowd there.

Unpresidented: Bill Burr has constant Will Ferrell in "Get off the shed" energy, it's perfect for this sketch. Just that internalized rage that we all have, it's relatable.

The Blitz: Oh crap it went there. It's nice to see Bill Burr being uncomfortable. I was half expecting his wig to come off with that bear hood. Now THIS is cringe humor.

Enough is Enough: "...I'm not famous enough?" Loved Beck in this. Also, he didn't wash after going to the bathroom.

Hey, this Morgan Wallen guy isn't half bad!

Just kidding, Jack White was great.

WU: Yeah, why get Alec Baldwin when Trump does weird Good Neighbor style videos for free? Che no longer gave a fuck and I am here for it. I was loving Kate as Dr. Weknowdis. It seemed like she was channeling Groucho Marx for that. How much of it was a bit, and how much of it was her and Colin breaking character? And Pete was great once again. You gotta wonder just how recently he read those cue cards. Did he know those self burns were coming, or was it like Stefon and he just saw some of those lines for the first time?

Sam Adams: Yeah, a Boston sketch was inevitable. And a Sam Adams pumpkin beer was perfect for this. The fact that he wore a cast told one heck of a story. Was there a blurred out penis drawn on it? This was pretty much like the Casey Affleck Dunkin Donuts ad, but I still liked this one.

And an Eddie Van Halen tribute for the road.

This episode is certainly gonna be divisive, but I liked it. Looking forward to Issa Rae next week.

Hey Galileo. Well, Beck Did NOT Wash His Hands in That Thanksgiving Episode With Will Ferrell Either ! That Was A Great Deal Like Groucho Except That He Smoked A Cigar And She Smoked A Pipe ! ! NO, I Think That Was Laura Because Laura Was Black And Punkie Is White ! !

• Love 1

I didn’t know Burr and I won’t be seeking him out. Comedians have to push the limits and there will always be some who are horribly offensive at times but win me back with genius comedy (RIP George Carlin). This guy wasn’t funny to me, just offensive. I liked the fly idea but Carrey is not good as Biden. Can we please get Harrelson or Sudeikis back? 

• Love 14

Sam Adams: Yeah, a Boston sketch was inevitable. And a Sam Adams pumpkin beer was perfect for this. The fact that he wore a cast told one heck of a story.

The cast was, *chef’s kiss*, perfect!

The hair and makeup on everyone in the Woke Mafia sketch were outstanding. Really perfectly done. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Psychobunny said:

I didn’t know Burr and I won’t be seeking him out. Comedians have to push the limits and there will always be some who are horribly offensive at times but win me back with genius comedy (RIP George Carlin). This guy wasn’t funny to me, just offensive. I liked the fly idea but Carrey is not good as Biden. Can we please get Harrelson or Sudeikis back? 

Harrelson said he couldn't work a longer return into his schedule. 

At this point I'd probably just rather not have Biden on because they don't know what to do with him, but I do miss seeing Jason on the show.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
25 minutes ago, Arkay said:

I know Cecily was planning to do only remote, but no Aidy tonight? And no Melissa, when last week she was only in the good nights?

Jim Carrey makes me tired. All I ever see in his characterizations is Jim Carrey, not whomever he's portraying. The fly thing was a step too far.

I am thrilled to see Pete looking so much better. 

I don't know Bill Burr, so I was a little shocked at the monologue. I did enjoy him through the rest of the show, though. 

Jost and Kate breaking was fun. As for Che, I find him very hit and miss. I don't like mocking anyone's religion, so I for one didn't care for the joke about the masks burning for eight days.

I thought Woke Mafia was great, it really encapsulated how much things have changed over twenty years. Enough is Enough was great...we've all had enough and who knows which of our friends could finally crack?

Bowan WAS NOT There EITHER ! Aidy Was There For ONE Sketch !

9 minutes ago, Psychobunny said:

I Don't Think Jason OR Woody Would Be Angry Enough When Donald Trump Kept Interrupting ! Also, I Don't Think Jason OR Woody Could Become A Fly ! Maybe, Jason OR Even Woody Could Be Joe Biden In Future Shows, But, Jason Is In That TV Show About Being A Coach On A Soccor Team So Lorne Will Probably Just Keep Jim Carrey !

• Love 1

I didn't even realize Bowen wasn't on, either. Especially if he was in the goodnights. That's what happened last week with Melissa.

I want to have some laughs. I've been watching SNL since the original Not Ready for Prime Time Players. I know they'll never go back to a 7-person cast, but there are too many now and what's the point, if so many of them aren't on at all? I don't think Aidy was there. So I'm watching to have some relaxation during all this horror, and I just can't laugh about Herman Cain and truthfully, I can't laugh at Che's joke about Trump dying. I'm no fan of Trump but it's not hilarious to me for ANYONE to die of Covid. 

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, Jody said:

Also, I Don't Think Jason OR Woody Could Become A Fly !

Well you got me there. 😆

Thanks for making me giggle.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1

I think Carrey looks a lot like Biden with the sunglasses on.  Sunglasses off, he has this kind of manic look in his eyes that is all Carrey, and then it loses the essence of the physical impression.  Writing-wise, the material for him has been dreadful so far.

My first exposure to Burr was a “Comedians in Cars” episode awhile back, and he seemed like a nice guy just trying to get a big Hollywood break.  Then I tried out one of his standup specials just a few months ago before he was announced as host, and I ended up turning it off pretty quickly, which is something that I rarely do.  I tend to cut comedians a wide berth on offensiveness because I know they are trying to mine an angle, and sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn’t.  But his material was so offensive (and not funny) that I knew the rest of it wasn’t worth my time.  His monologue here was very tame compared to that, but still almost a total dud, except maybe the John Wayne joke.

I have never seen a SNL sketch lose me the way the debate sketch did.  Like @vb68 said, it started funny, I was really enjoying myself, and then they cut to Biden and the whole thing just Shriveled and died instantly.  For what it’s worth, I think Cain is fair game for parody.  His family/ inner circle first started tweeting from his account after the man died without changing the name of it, so people were like, “Why has Cain risen and started tweeting again?”  And then they changed it to “The Cain Gang”, and it’s like, “Why do you want to evoke a chain gang?”  The whole thing is tasteless, so SNL touching on it doesn’t bother me in the least.

I guess the best part for me was Pete’s bit on Update.  It was a night and day difference for me between Kate’s bit and his.  Hers felt like it was thrown together in 20 minutes, and I can’t believe it made the show.  His felt like some actual writing went into it.

• Love 15

My overall opinion was that I liked the show quite a bit more than I did last week, and more than I have since last December and January when the Scarjo/Eddie Murphy/Adam Driver episodes all clicked. The debate still did not work for me, but I was able to get through most of the first half (even if Maya's Kamala still veers too much toward being a bad meme - she can do more). This was the best Beck has ever been in the part. The fly stuff mostly just felt a bit desperate and confused, and reminded me they still don't know how to write for Biden. It could have been wore, but I don't need 15 minute cold opens every week.

I'm not a big fan of Bill Burr's comedy, but I mostly decided to just zone out his monologue and focus on how he did in sketches. I was very pleasantly surprised - he did a good job through the night, a steady presence who blended in well with the cast. They seemed to be going to to "woke" well over and over, with varying degrees of success depending on execution. I was mostly disappointed that the sports talk show sketch had some kind of problem near the end because that was the main piece which felt different and had some strong moments up to that point. There were others I liked for one reason or another (the mob sketch for getting use out of some lesser seen cast members, the Samuel Adams because Bill and Mikey were so boisterous and fun, the "Enough is Enough" pre-tape because I liked the honest ending of people never learning and because it continued the douchebag storyline from the Jenner Pepsi ad a few seasons ago), but they were derivative. 

I appreciate that Kate is in her last season (most likely) and that many love her and feel comforted by her with the place things are in now, but that Update piece she had just felt too long. I would have rather seen some of that go to a lesser seen player. Pete's segment seemed much crisper to me - I don't really get into the whole JK Rowling thing but his delivery was very sharp and some of his best in years. I guess having a good friend there helped energize him. Che was also on fire on this Update. I do think the show needs a new era for the fake news, but I will miss the voice he and Jost have when they are gone. 

The cast use was noticeably bad this week, even for someone like me who tries to defend and support the large cast. So many people are leaving, or are in purgatory - the imbalance is a mess. We have seen nothing of Melissa, we've barely seen Andrew Dismukes, etc. Just try to divide up roles if possible in the current circumstances. 

Anyway, I have a feeling this one is going to be pretty unpopular, and I can understand why, but for the most part, even with iffy execution, I enjoyed it (especially Update to the end, and Jack White's performances). And the willingness to make so much of the show suit the voice of the host makes me hopeful we will get something fresh next week with Issa Rae.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

His family apparently agreed to have his Twitter account continue to be used, which is one of the reasons his name is still out there. I did wonder if it was in the best taste to joke about him on SNL, but my main complaint was the whole thing felt half-written (as these political cold opens tend to do).

Punkie was in two pieces last week (the woman Drew Barrymore redecorated a closet for, and in the NBA bubble sketch). She hasn't had a ton but of the three newcomers she seems to be the one who gets the most chance to perform (Lauren Holt is stuck doing Aidy-like parts, and Andrew Dismukes isn't even there).

Hey Pete. I Thought The Cold Opening Was Very Clever With Joe And Herman AND Jeff Goldblum Becoming Flies ! ! ! First OF All, There Was A Fly On Mike Pence ! Jeff Goldblum WAS In The Movie The Fly And He Said Be Very Afraid ! I Thought Punkie Was Who I Had Thought Was Aidy ! I Thought That Was Laura In The Mob Because Laura IS Black And I Thought Punkie Looks Like Aidy ! !

• Love 1