Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
OnceSane

S29.E04: Top 13

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Mallori said:

Is it just me or does [Nelly] not seem happy to be there?

He looked completely pissed while waiting for the results. I'm pretty sure him and his partner must hate each other because they were so far apart during that. And then after they were called safe he looked even more pissed than before lol.

I can't stand Nev. He just comes off so slimy to me. It's too bad because he's the type of contestant I would normally really enjoy.

I wanna like Skai but she just seems scared and/or sad most of the time. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

11 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

He looked completely pissed while waiting for the results. I'm pretty sure him and his partner must hate each other because they were so far apart during that. And then after they were called safe he looked even more pissed than before lol.

I can't stand Nev. He just comes off so slimy to me. It's too bad because he's the type of contestant I would normally really enjoy.

I wanna like Skai but she just seems scared and/or sad most of the time. 

Of course I don't know what goes on behind the scenes, but I didn't get the impression that Nelly and his partner get along either. I don't know if he doesn't want to be there, but he would have been better off with someone like Cheryl.

On the other hand, some of the others have really great chemistry...Brandon/Jeannie, Britt/Johnny, to name a few.

Poor Keo. He seems like such a nice guy. I'm glad Artem finally got a good partner. Maybe Keo will be next. And please fire Gleb! The man is fine AF, but why is he banging his partner on the dance floor during a flippin' foxtrot?

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

When she referenced the bottom couples, did Tyra not notice there were 3 couples standing there?

Maybe she was handed the wrong information, but she has to pay attention to what is going on.  

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

With all that went on in the last five minutes, I nearly forgot how cringeworthy the opening talking head sequence was. 

Was last night meant to substitute for “most memorable year” week? There were surely a lot of emotional clip packages. 

The ending really highlighted how much Tom brought to the show, even if most of the fault last night (except for calling the bottom two with three couples standing there) was with production. Tyra is struggling with the live element on a good night, which last night clearly wasn’t.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

As an executive producer, does Tyra still have people giving her advice on how she can improve her performance and appearance, or has she just surrounded herself with yes-men? As the weeks go by, I'm afraid the answer is becoming clear.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

He looked completely pissed while waiting for the results. I'm pretty sure him and his partner must hate each other because they were so far apart during that. And then after they were called safe he looked even more pissed than before lol.

I can't stand Nev. He just comes off so slimy to me. It's too bad because he's the type of contestant I would normally really enjoy.

I wanna like Skai but she just seems scared and/or sad most of the time. 

I follow Daniella on Instagram and she posts with him a lot, so it seems they do like each other. Though we know how people present what they want on social media, but I haven't noticed any issues on their posts.

I love Chrishell and have since her All My Children days, but good Lord, her partner just pushes her around the stage and into poses. I don't think we've seen her dance yet. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

3 minutes ago, Legalbeagle421 said:

I follow Daniella on Instagram and she posts with him a lot, so it seems they do like each other. Though we know how people present what they want on social media, but I haven't noticed any issues on their posts.

Maybe he just isn't a touchy feely person. I thought they didn't like each other, because most partners on this show hang all over each other. 

I thought he would be a lot better, but he's pretty stiff. He does seem to work hard, though.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

For me, it’s not even that Tyra flubbed the bottom 2. It was more that she couldn’t recover fast enough which you absolutely must do on live television. She seemed genuinely flustered. She could have thrown a quick joke in there about “hey, that’s live television folks!” and laughed, apologized for the confusion. But Tyra was clearly caught off guard. I feel like Tom would have been fine and shrugged it off. 

I think Nelly isn’t used to this kind of setting which is why he comes off stiff. He’s a great performer if you’ve ever seen him live, but he’s not used to more buttoned-up performances. He is finding his groove.

I adore Skai. She has such an elegant grace so it was nice to see that come to life last night.

Justine Machado...love love love her. That was a perfect performance - from her smile, to the dress, to the song. I hope she goes far. She’s my top pick.

Keo is one of my favorite pros. Please give him a partner that can go the distance next season, ABC. 

Edited by trimthatfat
  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, TiredMe said:

monica got balls, basically telling Val he’s a total dick. Lol

Monica is boring and sour. The only thing that separates her from Kate Gosselin is that she can do the correct movements at the correct time.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

That second dress of Tyra's actually was painful to look at.  Every time they showed the whole thing I recoiled my head, like I had been swatted.  Then they put eyes on her like I don't know, Emperor Palpatine?  The dark shading was like a diseased serial killer in a comic book.  After that unfortunate elimination she probably went home and cried.

I enjoyed Anne's dance and her wild costume and sorry she had to go.  

Johnny looked great and evidently felt so too.   Good dance.  I thought he resembled Loki with his hair like that.

Also really enjoying Justine Machado.  There are a number of contenders, I think.

  • Like 6
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, DancinCat said:

As an executive producer, does Tyra still have people giving her advice on how she can improve her performance and appearance, or has she just surrounded herself with yes-men? As the weeks go by, I'm afraid the answer is becoming clear.

Between Tyra's incompetent hosting and her outrageous looks, does anyone else feel like we're being punked?  I mean . . . seriously???  I've just been watching the eliminations because I can't stand more than that.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

After Monica and Val had been sent backstage and then brought back out, there was NO WAY that the judges weren't going to keep them.  The producers blew how this error was handled because then the elimination became even more of a personal choice for the judges.  That really, really screwed Anne and Keo, whose appreciative partnership I really enjoyed this season (one of the few bright spots).  

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

The Backstreet Boys virtually dancing along with AJ was great.  

I feel bad for Anne Heche and I wish she had lasted a little longer.  Maybe I'm just old and cranky, but it's telling that the three oldest people were the first three to go.  Why do they even bother casting people who are 50 and above?  And yes, I know that Donny Osmond and Jennifer Grey won, but those are few and far between.  Carol Baskins is older than Anne but she was cast in the "curiosity and/or controversy" slot (Sean Spicer, Noah Galloway, Paula Deen, that soldier on the train in France, etc).  So Anne got cast as the "older lady" and the "older lady" almost never does well.

11 hours ago, MsTree said:

The snafu at the end was totally Tyra's fault. She had already started to announce the bottom two couples when there were actually three couples still standing...right in front of her!! 

No matter what's being said in her ear, how do you miss seeing 3 couples "standing right here in front of me"? Huh, Tyra?

Well, that's kind of the same thing that happened to Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway.  Warren opened the envelope for Best Picture and it said "Emma Stone, La La Land".  He was stumbling over it and some viewers thought he was having a senior moment, and then Faye impatiently ripped it out of his hands and read out "La La Land" without bothering to question why it said "Emma Stone".  So people could easily have thought that Faye Dunaway was an idiot for not realising that she had been handed the wrong card.  But when millions of people are watching, sometimes you just have to trust that the people that are in charge are telling you the right things to say.

Here, Tyra didn't even have anything she was reading, she was being told exactly what to say, and if she had stopped and paused, then people here would be criticising her questioning the voice in the earpiece and not being professional.  I think Tyra is pretty much in a lose-lose situation here.  No matter what she says or does, she is going to get criticised, primarily because she's "not Tom".  Those who like Tom are always going to be able to find something to pick on her about.  I happen to like Tyra.  I don't think she's perfect, and she is in a tough position here, but she's trying.

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, blackwing said:

The Backstreet Boys virtually dancing along with AJ was great.  

I feel bad for Anne Heche and I wish she had lasted a little longer.  Maybe I'm just old and cranky, but it's telling that the three oldest people were the first three to go.  Why do they even bother casting people who are 50 and above?  And yes, I know that Donny Osmond and Jennifer Grey won, but those are few and far between.  Carol Baskins is older than Anne but she was cast in the "curiosity and/or controversy" slot (Sean Spicer, Noah Galloway, Paula Deen, that soldier on the train in France, etc).  So Anne got cast as the "older lady" and the "older lady" almost never does well.

Well, that's kind of the same thing that happened to Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway.  Warren opened the envelope for Best Picture and it said "Emma Stone, La La Land".  He was stumbling over it and some viewers thought he was having a senior moment, and then Faye impatiently ripped it out of his hands and read out "La La Land" without bothering to question why it said "Emma Stone".  So people could easily have thought that Faye Dunaway was an idiot for not realising that she had been handed the wrong card.  But when millions of people are watching, sometimes you just have to trust that the people that are in charge are telling you the right things to say.

Here, Tyra didn't even have anything she was reading, she was being told exactly what to say, and if she had stopped and paused, then people here would be criticising her questioning the voice in the earpiece and not being professional.  I think Tyra is pretty much in a lose-lose situation here.  No matter what she says or does, she is going to get criticised, primarily because she's "not Tom".  Those who like Tom are always going to be able to find something to pick on her about.  I happen to like Tyra.  I don't think she's perfect, and she is in a tough position here, but she's trying.

I was thinking about the Oscar mix-up too. And I agree with you on Tyra. I wouldn't say I like or dislike her, but I pretty much ignore her for the most part. I come on here and people are commenting on all these things she said/did and I don't even remember half of them happening. I just watch for the dancing and the fun and I'll enjoy regardless of the host. Plus, I'm sure she's sitting in her mansion counting her coins not too concerned about us lol. 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

If Tyra is the one who decided to bring back ballroom dancing and going back to basics, then keep her. I like Tom, but I like ballroom dancing more. I have no interest in watching the troupe or group dances or contemporary/jazz.

I also like the there are no political turds this season.

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I caught the elimination clip on YouTube and no matter what the voices are saying in her earwig, or whatever is written on the cards, there were THREE couples standing right in front of Ms. Banks. She should be paying attention. 
 

And I see what everyone is saying when she’s announcing people who are safe, she’s so somber. She’s announcing a good thing, be happy about it.

BTW: The lack of group dances has nothing to do with Tyra’s supposed tweaks, it’s because of COVID. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

Tyra Banks is a beautiful woman, but last night she looked like a man in drag. Only RuPaul would have looked 1000% better. 

Skai is adorable, but she looks like a little girl dressed up for a pageant. 

I love seeing Johnny Weir au natural, if you can call a green sequined suit natural. I just mean, no crazy makeup and natural hair. He doesn't need all that stuff. And yes, I sound like his mother. I'm more than old enough. LOL

Tyra's a terrible hostess. I did improv comedy for many years. You can't let the audience see you sweat! Plus you have to pay attention! There were three couples left during the final two! 

Not a great night.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Legalbeagle421 said:

I love Chrishell and have since her All My Children days, but good Lord, her partner just pushes her around the stage and into poses. I don't think we've seen her dance yet

I know!! 

It seems like she only moves when she is attached to him. Like a little kid standing on the other person's feet.

Share this post


Link to post

Quote

I think Tyra is pretty much in a lose-lose situation here.  No matter what she says or does, she is going to get criticised, primarily because she's "not Tom".  

Not true. I don't dislike Tyra as a person. I don't really know enough about her to dislike her. But she is out of her element on this show. I've thought from the beginning she was a rather bizarre and random choice as a replacement host for DWTS, and while this screw-up was clearly not her fault, she did not handle it very well IMO. She more suited for something like Project Runway.

The show also needs to work on its timing. I realize Tyra is standing in for both Tom and Erin, hence the inane interviews after the judges have given their remarks. But too much time is being eaten up by those segments and the ending is too rushed. We don't even give the couple eliminated a chance to say goodbye or share their final thoughts anymore. 

Quote

And please fire Gleb! The man is fine AF, but why is he banging his partner on the dance floor during a flippin' foxtrot?

While Len's crankiness did get wearisome, I miss the "official" head judge pointing out the faults in the various dances. Too much messing about, not enough real content, not a "true" foxtrot or samba, etc. So many of the dances this week didn't seem like true versions of that style.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, trimthatfat said:

Keo is one of my favorite pros. Please give him a partner that can go the distance next season, ABC. 

He's had shots with Evanna Lynch and Jodie Sweetin but fell short. He might be a talented dancer but he doesn't seem like a great teacher, imo. 

1 hour ago, boyznkatz said:

I also like the there are no political turds this season.

One of the few bright spots this season. Could you imagine a politician in during election season?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I hope ABC can learn from the season and it is not even over.

-they can still have a dancing show during COVID. So far, they have done quite well with no audience and keeping people apart.

-it is fine without all the backup dancers and props. I'm enjoying watching two people dance.

-Carrie Ann doesn't need all the wigs. Why has she started doing this?  

-Bring Tom back. Three simple words!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Maybe we are being punked like a poster above guessed!

Maybe we'll all wake up and Tom will return and Tara will shout SURPRISE!

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, McManda said:

They give Tyra cards? Actual, physical cards? Didn't they pipe the names directly into Tom's earpiece? Tyra has an earpiece, she references "they" in her ear when she's pushing the judges to go faster. So they don't trust her to repeat what they say but they trust her to read off a card? 

I recall Tom and co-hosts holding physical cards.  I suppose they could've been props, but I always thought they were reading from them.  From my experience with live TV the earpiece is more for things like "next time your camera is off please move two inches to the left" or "just one more question and then time for scores" or "remember to ask her about her childhood teacher who is in the audience" or whatever.  It's not by any means easy, and I felt empathy for Tyra floundering.  But then she was paid more than I make in a year for last night's efforts, so I think we can expect better.  That or I need to negotiate differently. 😉

I noticed a few suggestions that the elimination should've been canceled for the evening and/or that the judges felt obliged to save Monica after the awkward situation.  While I'd sure offer all parties a drink and commiserations at the bar afterwards, I feel it was fair for the judges to proceed, once Tyra managed to spit out the B2 accurately.  And I think there is no question that the judges would've made the same choice regardless of the situation.  Monica's average score is 2 full points higher than Anne's throughout the season, and on the night each judge marked Monica 1 point higher than Anne.  So, in my eyes, fair enough.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, OnTime said:

-Carrie Ann doesn't need all the wigs. Why has she started doing this?

She said she has medical issues and takes medication that causes hair loss.

3 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

I have no interest in watching the troupe or group dances or contemporary/jazz.

Johnny Weir has contemporary next week according to his twitter. 

  • Like 3
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

Keo did great with Evanna and they made it to the finals, something nobody initially anticipated given his early exits and her fairly limited name recognition. The problem was they made it to a finals with Bobby Bones. They were victims as much as Witney and Milo that year. I think he faltered with Jodie, but I believe he's grown a lot as a teacher since then; he's just, like Artem, been in situations where the circumstances of winning it all are sort of beyond his control.

Anyway, so on that note I was sorry to see Anne leave so early, but not surprised since she was bottom two last week as well; unless somebody has a breakout one night, I imagine this "runner-up leaves the next week" pattern will continue for a few more shows.

I almost wondered if Tyra was being given the names from the dress rehearsal elimination, but that still doesn't excuse her not realizing there were three couples left on stage...

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Keo's partners seem to like him a lot. That doesn't seem to be the case with a lot of the male pros. I think he's like Tony in the sense that he gets all the older ladies because he's nice. Emma would be the female Tony. I feel bad for her as well, always getting eliminated early.

I still want to know why they keep trying to make Gleb happen.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

I would much rather see Keo get the partners that Gleb seems to get every season! Keo's not a favourite pro of mine, but he's a much better pro now than he was back when he was with Jodie. Gleb however, is the worst pro on the show by a mile (IMO) but still seems to land on his feet with partners to the point where I honestly wonder whether he has any dirt on the executive producers. I'd have fired him many seasons ago.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Opening:

Nelly's paso doble:

Chrishell's foxtrot:

Monica's samba:

Anne's paso doble:

Nev's rumba:

Justina's salsa:

Kaitlyn's Viennese waltz:

Johnny's jive:

Jeannie's tango:

Vernon's rumba:

Jesse's cha cha:

Skai's foxtrot:

AJ's cha cha:

Elimination:

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I feel like Len...Nelly needs to practice in proper ballroom shoes.  They make such a huge difference to your movement.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Nelly's plodding sloppy footwork was painful to watch during his paso doble. I hope he's the next one eliminated.

I don't know how to judge Chrishell's foxtrot because it was 30 seconds of standing around, some slow walking, and barely any dancing. The spin she did on the floor looked so awkward.

First I would like to apologize to Miley Cyrus. I'm sorry for complaining about Party in the USA because I now know that there IS a way to make that song worse. Monica deserved higher scores than the first two celebs just for having so much samba content and almost no faffing about. And she certainly looked more competent at her dancing than Nelly or Chrishell did.

Anne's paso doble was another time waster. I know that posing and capes are part of the dance, but we really only got 30 seconds of actual paso. She was okay but a little awkward. I spent most of the routine trying to figure out how all the parts of her costume were attached.

You'd think that someone with as much dance experience as Nev wouldn't need so much filler at the beginning of a routine, but then I remembered oh, right, it's Jenna. Why let your celebrity dance partner interfere with showboating? His rumba was better than a lot of male celebs in the past but it wasn't great enough to impress me.

Justina sometimes doesn't finish her arm movements when they're faster, but other than that her salsa was fun to watch.

Kaitlyn's Viennese waltz was generally graceful but I was surprised that someone with so much ballet training had such bad developpés and port de bras.

Johnny's jive was his best dance so far. He had personality and energy and he finally looked like he was having fun instead of concentrating too hard. This is the Johnny I was expecting. And lots of dance content so yay for his partner. Loved that shiny green material!

Jeannie is not a runaway winner but there's something about her dancing that says she's very teachable. It makes me think that if she had two weeks to learn these dances, she would be really good.

Vernon's rumba started out a bit stiff but he got better as the dance went on.

Jesse's cha cha seemed unnecessarily stilted. He was just standing there for most of the beginning. This definitely wasn't his best dance though.

Skai's foxtrot was an improvement over last week, but I think that's because (1) it was a slower dance and (2) her Bambi legs were covered by that long dress.

AJ's cha cha was way too messy. And what was with that long non-cha cha dance break?

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

They underscored Jeannie and over-scored Kaitlyn. 

The obvious bias DWTS has toward their network darling contestants, i.e. the Bachelor/ette franchise, is annoying. 

Wow, Tyra. Just wow. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Did anyone else feel like this show was interminable? I kept thinking it had to be almost over, but nope-let's announce a few more dancers coming up next...

My comments on the dances, in no particular order:

Skai's dance did not deserve a 10, I feel like she got pity scores.  She looked very stiff, even robotic, at the beginning.

Nelly seems kind of disconnected to the whole thing, and doesn't appear to care for Daniella hanging all over/hugging him.

Still like Nev, although wondering if he's a ringer.

Kaitlyn doesn't do anything for me

Did not need to see Chrishell injecting herself with whatever-tell your story, but I don't need the visuals. Her dancing is improving somewhat, though.

Vernon is solidly in the middle of the pack for me. He seems like a really nice guy, and his dances so far have been good, but not stand-out.

I keep forgetting about Jesse, so I guess that says it all for me.

Monica, meh

For some reason, all the J's annoy me.

The Backstreet Boys being in AJ's routine the way they were was just distracting, and his going back up to the stage to do the solo part didn't gel with the rest of the dance. Like Bruno said-where was the Cha-Cha?

If Tyra would just shut up for parts of the show, or take less time to announce who is safe, it wouldn't be so rushed at the end.  Also, quit with the costume changes(as an aside, she really needs to fire whoever puts her in those get-ups).

Speaking of announcing who was safe, what in the name of all that's holy happened?!  Could she not see that there were 3 couples left when she started saying who the bottom two were(not to mention that one of the couples in the bottom two had already been announced as safe)?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, marykat71702 said:

Did anyone else feel like this show was interminable? I kept thinking it had to be almost over, but nope-let's announce a few more dancers coming up next...

My comments on the dances, in no particular order:

Skai's dance did not deserve a 10, I feel like she got pity scores.  She looked very stiff, even robotic, at the beginning.

Nelly seems kind of disconnected to the whole thing, and doesn't appear to care for Daniella hanging all over/hugging him.

Still like Nev, although wondering if he's a ringer.

Kaitlyn doesn't do anything for me

Did not need to see Chrishell injecting herself with whatever-tell your story, but I don't need the visuals. Her dancing is improving somewhat, though.

Vernon is solidly in the middle of the pack for me. He seems like a really nice guy, and his dances so far have been good, but not stand-out.

I keep forgetting about Jesse, so I guess that says it all for me.

Monica, meh

For some reason, all the J's annoy me.

The Backstreet Boys being in AJ's routine the way they were was just distracting, and his going back up to the stage to do the solo part didn't gel with the rest of the dance. Like Bruno said-where was the Cha-Cha?

If Tyra would just shut up for parts of the show, or take less time to announce who is safe, it wouldn't be so rushed at the end.  Also, quit with the costume changes(as an aside, she really needs to fire whoever puts her in those get-ups).

Speaking of announcing who was safe, what in the name of all that's holy happened?!  Could she not see that there were 3 couples left when she started saying who the bottom two were(not to mention that one of the couples in the bottom two had already been announced as safe)?

He's the biggest ringer of the whole cast. I didn't have a clue until his first dance, after which I googled him because I was taken aback at how good he was in Week One.

Agree about AJ. To be honest, for me he's probably been the biggest disappointment of the season so far from a dance perspective. Like I thought he would easily be the best dancer and probably the clear favourite to win all the way through the show before the season started.

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, Emily-D said:

He's the biggest ringer of the whole cast. I didn't have a clue until his first dance, after which I googled him because I was taken aback at how good he was in Week One.

Didn't realize that-I had never heard of him before this show...

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/5/2020 at 7:45 PM, OnTime said:

The same person who told her that was a good hair style to wear.

and the same one who told her that  smoky eye make up  ALL OVER HER eyes was a good look.....her hair was bad the 2 dresses bad...that one the things on the hips looked like  giant princess leia (star wars)  hair buns.... hair was bad the eye make up was WAY TOO MUCH..every time they showed her I had to close my eyes  or put my hand up because looking at her was so dam distracting 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

It's not taking me as long to watch this show this year.  I record it, and then FF through all of Tyra's comments.  I used to watch it in it's entirety, except for some of Erin's stuff sometimes.  Tom isn't coming back I know, but his stage presence and quips would be much appreciated by me.  I want to hear more from the judges, but they are being rushed.  What's taking up the time that used to be allowed for the group dances, which I don't miss at all.

Edited by laredhead
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
46 minutes ago, laredhead said:

What's taking up the time that used to be allowed for the group dances, which I don't miss at all.

For now I think it’s just that there are more couples, starting at 15 vs a more typical 12-13. The opening “skits” and Tyra’s entrance eat up a couple of minutes, though I guess that’s about the same as a group number. It just feels like there’s no buffer, and any time gets made up at the expense of the judges. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, funnygirl said:

They underscored Jeannie and over-scored Kaitlyn. 

The obvious bias DWTS has toward their network darling contestants, i.e. the Bachelor/ette franchise, is annoying. 

Yeah, the judges have obvious favorites now and it's annoying. Jesse and Chrishell should be getting 6s, but miraculously get 8s. Monica isn't very interesting, but her dancing merits higher scores than theirs.

Derek is just like Len in that he has his favorites (the pretty ladies) and overscores them, even though they don't dance. Carrie Ann loves all the fine men (Jesse and Vernon) even though they aren't very good.

Surprisingly Bruno has been the only one judging fairly. He's over the top, but he's the only one who has been tolerable this season.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I read this morning that NBA Commissioner Adam Silver has decided to remove the BLM messages on the court and on the player's jerseys starting next season. What does this have to do with DWTS? Mr. Silver apparently looked at the low ratings the Finals are producing and listened to the fans. The fans aren't watching the games. So, if people stop watching DWTS, and the ratings fall, maybe TPTB will listen to the fans and go back to the drawing board and rethink this through. Maybe they'll attempt to hire Tom back. Tyra's mistake only helps things if you're not a fan of hers. 

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, rr2911 said:

I read this morning that NBA Commissioner Adam Silver has decided to remove the BLM messages on the court and on the player's jerseys starting next season. What does this have to do with DWTS? Mr. Silver apparently looked at the low ratings the Finals are producing and listened to the fans. The fans aren't watching the games. So, if people stop watching DWTS, and the ratings fall, maybe TPTB will listen to the fans and go back to the drawing board and rethink this through. Maybe they'll attempt to hire Tom back. Tyra's mistake only helps things if you're not a fan of hers. 

I think if the ratings tank, they will can the show. I'm sure it is expensive to produce, and it's hard to find anyone willing to do it anymore. The only people they get anymore are ABC shills and people that nobody has heard of. 

I do think they might bring back Tom and keep Tyra as the producer. She doesn't seem that comfortable being there, and I do think they probably get a lot of complaints about Tom being fired.

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

I think if the ratings tank, they will can the show. I'm sure it is expensive to produce, and it's hard to find anyone willing to do it anymore. The only people they get anymore are ABC shills and people that nobody has heard of. 

I do think they might bring back Tom and keep Tyra as the producer. She doesn't seem that comfortable being there, and I do think they probably get a lot of complaints about Tom being fired.

DWTS is much cheaper to produce than a scripted series. And because of the ongoing pandemic and the networks being picky with what they're picking up and choosing to keep, I don't see ABC canceling DWTS anytime soon. If nothing else, it's ready-made to fill a two hour block of airtime each week. 

If anything were to cause cancelation, I think it'd be the lack of booking talent. I feel like they've done pretty well this season, considering (although I would rather there be less contestants competing than having random "who are they?" ringers like Nev or controversial figures like Carol or Sean Spicer thrown into the mix.). And I wonder with the current stress of society, and possibly the lack of work because of the pandemic, if more B/C level stars will decide to put themselves out there and do something positive and have a little fun...?

However, that doesn't mean that they won't consider bringing Tom back. But I suppose that depends on the deal they have with Executive Producer Tyra - she could still EP without having to host... she could even fill Erin's role if it's necessary for her to be on camera. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Tyra looked pretty in her first dress.  She should have stayed in that one.  The second dress was horrendous.  She's pear shaped and they added a boxy accordion looking element to her hips which made them look even bigger.  The top was like a corset but way too tight.  Then the makeup people put black eyeliner all around to make her look like a raccoon.  I thought her hair looked o.k.  It was nicely crimped which was better than the lion mane she had last week.

The show messed up with the cards.  There were three couples left and she started saying the bottom two.  That's when she realized that there were three couples left and she wanted clarification.  That wasn't her fault.  However, Tom would have made a joke about Steve Harvey or something and it would have been smoother.  I'm still going to watch the show even though I prefer Tom.  This season actually has decent dancers especially since the two worst ones are gone.

Last week, I said that Nelly should be the next one to go and I still feel that way.  Like others said, he doesn't even look like he wants to be there.  When Tyra called them safe, he just stood there.  He didn't look happy or celebrate like other couples do.  Anne looked like she wanted to be there.  Her greatest asset was her acting ability which makes a dance more interesting even when you're just an average dancer.

After Nelly, I think Chrishell should go.  Her legs and feet are not good. They're just covered up by her dresses and the last two weeks have been slow simple ballroom dances.  I bet she has Bambi legs next week when she does a cha cha.  In her first week, I thought she was going to break an ankle.  She also really needs to point her feet which I mentioned weeks ago. 

Monica is good but her personality is boring.  Jesse isn't as good and he's boring too.

Nev and Jenna have been doing great dances.  But it bugs me that none of his dance background is ever mentioned.  Kaitlyn mentioned her dance background.  Even Justina mentioned that her family salsa dances at parties which isn't even formal training

Justina was back to being on fire.  She's one of my favorites.  I have two more added this week.  They are Jeannie and Johnny.  You can tell that Jeannie doesn't have dance training.  When she was doing an attitude, her hip wasn't turned out which made her leg not turn out.  But I just love her partnership with Brandon.  Her mom cracks me up.  She looked sexy doing her tango and she looks like she trains really hard.  In her first week, she demonstrated that she's also fearless and willing to try really difficult moves.

Yay for Johnny!!  He finally looked like he was having fun.  His legs also didn't look like he was skating.  Both he and Britt also finally worked together and didn't look like they were fighting for the lead.

Last week, I said that CAI gave Vernon an 8 because he's handsome.  She did it again.  However, I'm going to agree with her on his hips.  Who's watching his arms?  LOL!!

Skai was excellent but not worth a 10.  She does better in ballroom because her first week tango was also good.  Her dresses are longer and they don't show her Bambi legs.  I'm glad she had a good week.

AJ's dance was entertaining.  But there was hardly any cha cha.  If Len was there, he would have hated the solo break down section.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, realdancemom said:

Last week, I said that Nelly should be the next one to go and I still feel that way.  Like others said, he doesn't even look like he wants to be there.  When Tyra called them safe, he just stood there.  He didn't look happy or celebrate like other couples do.  Anne looked like she wanted to be there.  Her greatest asset was her acting ability which makes a dance more interesting even when you're just an average dancer.

After Nelly, I think Chrishell should go.  Her legs and feet are not good. They're just covered up by her dresses and the last two weeks have been slow simple ballroom dances.  I bet she has Bambi legs next week when she does a cha cha.  In her first week, I thought she was going to break an ankle.  She also really needs to point her feet which I mentioned weeks ago. 

Monica is good but her personality is boring.  Jesse isn't as good and he's boring too.

Maybe Nelly has a big fanbase. He and Skai get a lot of views on You Tube, especially Skai. I agree that he, Chrishell, and Jesse need to be the next to go.

I'm surprised Monica is so boring. You would think a cheerleading coach would have some personality.

Share this post


Link to post

The media has picked up on all the fans being angry with Tyra, but in a completely frustrating way. All the articles take her side and say she shouldn't be blamed for the mistake because the information she was given was wrong. They don't realize we are mad because of her complete lack of awareness that something must have been wrong when there were still three couples on the stage. Then there's the fact that she threw the control room under the bus, taking none of the blame herself. Finally, she was unable to get past the mistake, remaining completely flustered for the rest of the show. Pay attention media! These are the reasons we all want her off our screens!

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

Tyra is partly at fault. Because when they were down to the bottom three, she outright made the assumption that the bottom two were Ann and Vernon while completely ignoring Chrishell/Gleb standing there. That's on Tyra. Why would she have cards that say Vernon was in the bottom (she didn't)? And why would she have a card that says Monica/Val are safe? She is an executive producer, after all, so blaming it on production is basically blaming herself. It'd make things easier and less-rushed if she STFU every once in awhile so the most important parts (judges scores/comments/eliminations) aren't rushed. There was clearly more than enough time because after the elimination she had like 30 seconds to talk about next week. 

Do the judges typically know who the bottom two are before announced? When the camera panned to CAI during the kerfuffle, she seemed to know that the wrong couple was down there. 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, Jsage said:

All the articles take her side and say she shouldn't be blamed for the mistake because the information she was given was wrong.

All the articles I've read quoted people from the show who would obviously support Tyra. TV Guide gave her a cheer(it was printed before the snafu). I think the media looks after its own. They're probably told if you want to cover our show, you have to make it look good. The only negative article is from a tabloid so I don't know how much to believe. 

"Following the Monday, October 5, episode of Dancing With the Stars. where Tyra Banks. messed up who got eliminated from the competition, all hell broke loose backstage, OK! has learned"

https://okmagazine.com/exclusives/tyra-banks-melted-down-backstage-dwts-mistake-livid-sabotaged/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I think it's actually worse than they're saying. There were three couples onstage when Tyra started to announce the bottom two, but if she had to call Monica and Val back onstage, then it means TWO of the three couples in front of Tyra were actually safe. I fell asleep before the show's ending, so I didn't actually see the kerfuffle. Either way, it doesn't make Tyra look smart or capable.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/5/2020 at 10:01 PM, mtlchick said:

I think this is the first time I’ve seen such a voting blunder on this show.  
 

This is also the first time in years that I’ve seen general improvement from most couples at week four so it was really who has the votes.

 

Bye Anne. I really wished you lasted longer. But this is becoming a tougher season than I first thought.

 

also, Nev’s nipples!  Hi there. Didn’t really want to know that fact about you but hey, 2020z

I don't watch the show with the exception of Johnny Weir's performances. What was said about Nev's nipples. Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/6/2020 at 1:06 PM, Recyclorette said:

Between Tyra's incompetent hosting and her outrageous looks, does anyone else feel like we're being punked?  I mean . . . seriously???  I've just been watching the eliminations because I can't stand more than that.

It almost seems to fit the theme of 2020.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size