Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E13: Home Alone

• Start Topic

1 HOUR AGO, CSUNSHINE76 SAID:
  2 HOURS AGO, SILVER BELLS SAID:

What’s he wasting his time with her for?  He’s only 26, and there are plenty of teachers in the school system that would be happy to have him.  Some on this thread too, lol.

1 hour ago, CSunshine76 said:

Pretty sure it was his 35th birthday? I’m going with 35...just sounds better to my 43 year old self. 😬

Henry is 35 and is a medical recruiter, he is not a teacher.  Christina is coming close to the Katie level of dislike. There was no need to start gay comments.

Miles is 26 and he works in a school, not sure if he is a teacher.

• Love 8
55 minutes ago, JapMo said:

I saw something last night that kind of surprised me.  Mr. Perfect Henry was a little snide, a little nasty and mean.  Also, he was twitching a lot when he was talking to Pastor Cal.  Maybe because he was this close to being honest with Cal and saying what we all know:  I HAVE NEVER LIKED CHRISTINA AND CAN'T WAIT TO GET OUT OF THIS MARRIAGE.  But as posters have said previously, he didn't have the courage (say what you want of Brett but he knew it was never going to work and had the guts to end it).  

I know most people blame Christina and she does have a lot of hang-ups.  But her living arrangements at the time they got married should have been discussed.  When Henry realized early on that there was something not quite right about where/how she was living pre-wedding, he should have questioned her about it.  But he never did.  Like he failed to mention to her but never had a problem telling Amani that he thought Christina was rude to production.  Christina doesn't find this out until several weeks into the marriage.  Now after 10 weeks he tells Pastor Cal that she's been "dishonest".  The dishonest one is you, Henry.  Again, Christina has too many hang-ups to go in to in just one post, but IMO at least she's tried.  Henry has NEVER tried.  EVER.  He took one look at her and he was done.  

I totally agree with you. I just don't understand how he let the living arrangements thing slide without asking any questions. I'm sure it happened more often than we saw and he waits until now to tell Cal in a private conversation that he has seen a pattern of lying. He didn't bother asking Christina about the lies as she was telling them. When she said she as going for a walk but was not dressed for a walk, why not ask her about it? When she was "crying" about how she doesn't know what he wants, why did he not bring up the "I'm helping a friend rearrange furniture" at one in the morning? To me, there is.a big difference between not liking confrontation and being chill, and being a spineless wuss who won't address lies from one's spouse unless it is with someone outside of the marriage. 

• Love 11

As I was getting ready this morning I was thinking about Karen, and I am glad Dr. P called her out on the whole masculine thing. It's ridiculous. She says she wants a "masculine" man, but she did not waste any opportunity to emasculate him: "stop that!", side eye at every thing she questioned him joking about. She treated him like a puppy or child! She should be overjoyed to be matched with a PERSON that can share his feelings. If she wants to see what the other side looks like, she can just go across the hall and talk to Olivia or Christina about what being married to someone unwilling/unable to communicate openly looks like. Exactly how long is Miles supposed to hang in there waiting for her to decide to trust him?

• Love 19
2 hours ago, CSunshine76 said:

Pretty sure it was his 35th birthday? I’m going with 35...just sounds better to my 43 year old self. 😬

Oh, I thought Miles was 26 and Karen 30?  Whatever.lol.  I still think he could get plenty in the school system.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, OnTime said:

Henry is 35 and is a medical recruiter, he is not a teacher.  Christina is coming close to the Katie level of dislike. There was no need to start gay comments.

Miles is 26 and he works in a school, not sure if he is a teacher.

Miles is 26, born in South Carolina and loves working with young adults and children, which can mean many things.  Teacher, teacher aide, librarian, etc.  who knows.  

Edited by Silver Bells
  • Useful 1
16 hours ago, Suzy Rhapsody said:

I’m sorry, but Miles is a delight.  He’s handsome, intelligent, has a good job, he’s in touch with his feelings, and has a sense of humor.  If she doesn’t want him, someone else absolutely will.  He’ll come out on top at the end of the day.  

Yeah, while Karen is still searching for a man that's "masculine" enough for her. Like the one that cheated on her and had a baby with another woman while he was still in a relationship with her and broke her heart in to a million little pieces. Keep looking, Karen. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 13

So Olivia wants a husband so she can go traveling.  Haha. Who said he loves to travel?  Or any man for that matter.  Some men hate to travel, like my husband.  He will go if I really want, but I could see he rather not by the look on his face.  If it’s for something to do with sports, he’s in.  If it’s to see interesting places, he rather stay home.  Now, I go with my girlfriend.  Her husband hates it too.  Why doesnt she go with a group?  My daughter after college went to Europe with a group her age.  They saw 11 countries in 10 days by bus.  She said it was fabulous!

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Yeah, while Karen is still searching for a man that's "masculine" enough for her. Like the one that cheated on her and had a baby with another woman while he was still in a relationship with her and broke her heart in to a million little pieces. Keep looking, Karen. 

I’m sure she was sleeping with him too.  So, I guess she wants a tough gangster type that throws her around like a cave man.  Miles is too much a gentleman.  The woman needs therapy or a bum who beats the shit out of her and shows her who’s the boss.  Or nobody.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, JapMo said:

I saw something last night that kind of surprised me.  Mr. Perfect Henry was a little snide, a little nasty and mean.  Also, he was twitching a lot when he was talking to Pastor Cal.  Maybe because he was this close to being honest with Cal and saying what we all know:  I HAVE NEVER LIKED CHRISTINA AND CAN'T WAIT TO GET OUT OF THIS MARRIAGE.  But as posters have said previously, he didn't have the courage (say what you want of Brett but he knew it was never going to work and had the guts to end it).  

I know most people blame Christina and she does have a lot of hang-ups.  But her living arrangements at the time they got married should have been discussed.  When Henry realized early on that there was something not quite right about where/how she was living pre-wedding, he should have questioned her about it.  But he never did.  Like he failed to mention to her but never had a problem telling Amani that he thought Christina was rude to production.  Christina doesn't find this out until several weeks into the marriage.  Now after 10 weeks he tells Pastor Cal that she's been "dishonest".  The dishonest one is you, Henry.  Again, Christina has too many hang-ups to go in to in just one post, but IMO at least she's tried.  Henry has NEVER tried.  EVER.  He took one look at her and he was done.  

I have contempt for Henry because he's a liar.  His reasons for getting into this in the first place is because one or several "friends" talked him into it.  Can anybody on this board honestly see Henry ever even watching MAFS much less deciding that marrying a stranger was something he should do?  The man who by his own admission has a lot of problems even speaking to women and needs a LOT of time to get to know someone before even holding their hand much less be intimate?  Speaking of his friends, I have no respect whatsoever for Henry when he mentioned while talking to Christina last night that several of his friends had mentioned red flags about her job and her living arrangements.  I'm sure they also gave him an earful about Christina being rude right before the wedding. He's probably seen her frustrated and snippy to the crew throughout the filming, but  instead of giving Christina the benefit of the doubt that part of her behavior might have been pre-wedding jitters and fear of having a camera in her face all the time, he's used the rude angle against her from the get-go, making no attempt to ever address it with her and continuing to hold it against her from day one to the present.  

Again, IMO he's been extremely dishonest in this whole relationship, if you want to call it that.  Constantly making excuses that he needs more time and he's slow to warm up to intimacy.  Whatever.  He never gave Christina a chance.  Even though they still would have been incompatible, he didn't even try.  Again, she's no prize either, but you can't say she hasn't tried.

Whew, didn't mean to make this so long.  One more thing since I'm already on a roll..................did COVID mess up something with Dr. Pepper's skills as a relationship expert?  She gave absolutely zero good advice to Christina.  Hold Henry's hand when you talk to him?  Hey Dr. P....they're way beyond anything like that helping them.  Pastor Cal wasn't great but he was miles ahead of Dr. Pepper.

While I agree Henry has obvious issues with communication that inhibits him from even necessary & polite confrontation, he was encouraged to bring some of his concerns to light with ChristinA & he did - or at least, he tried. Then he was met with ChristinA's juvenile manipulation tactics of deflection, whining, & invisible tears & couldn't get a word in edgewise. There was nothing he could've said at that point to reason with her during her tirade. For all we know he may have tried to broach smaller things in past & encountered the same problem, which if I did I would give up as well. That may explain his twitching during his call with Cal, maybe dreading the encounter knowing what he was in for with her. I give him props for at least trying - her defensive manipulations are the behavior of the guilty. ChristinA is not someone anyone could confront because she won't own any of her own shit; it's always going to be Henry's fault. She's so low to the ground she's taken to making up some gay story, & I do believe it's made up because she's been (at best) inconsistent with her 'stories' & condescending to Henry on the regular now, &  hasn't even produced the actual text as any 'proof'. That's just lowdown BS bitchery. I concur neither are marriage material, but don't feel their problems are on the same level- ChristinA is light years ahead of Henry in being an actual garbage person IMO.

• Love 16
48 minutes ago, configdotsys said:

I totally agree with you. I just don't understand how he let the living arrangements thing slide without asking any questions. I'm sure it happened more often than we saw and he waits until now to tell Cal in a private conversation that he has seen a pattern of lying. He didn't bother asking Christina about the lies as she was telling them. When she said she as going for a walk but was not dressed for a walk, why not ask her about it? When she was "crying" about how she doesn't know what he wants, why did he not bring up the "I'm helping a friend rearrange furniture" at one in the morning? To me, there is.a big difference between not liking confrontation and being chill, and being a spineless wuss who won't address lies from one's spouse unless it is with someone outside of the marriage. 

Maybe he doesn’t care enough to ask where she’s going as it will start a confrontation.  He’s done, and doesn’t care.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
14 hours ago, rlc said:

Also, why was [Brett] freaking out about her visiting her family? It would be one thing if she had been quarantining, but she’s been going to work every day. 

She was going to work because she's a healthcare provider in a pandemic.  People had to do that for the good of the rest of us, even though it was risky.  That's not the same as going to visit one's family, and frankly, I was shocked she did it, especially when you think about other healthcare workers who moved into RVs for weeks or even months to avoid exposing the family they live with.

I'm with Brett on this one.

13 hours ago, Kira53 said:

Didn't Brett say that Olivia had one week off and she wouldn't even come with him once to his house to see if they could make it something suitable for them to living on a temporary basis?  It's not clear to me whether she does the 12 hour three days a week schedule or a 9 to 5. Does anybody notice I don't think it was ever addressed. It doesn't make a bit of a difference if you only have three days commute especially a commute that is not at rush-hour.

As has been revealed in previous episode threads, tolerance for a given commute differs from person to person.  Olivia described the commute as a number of minutes (I think it was 35), without regard to whether it was during rush hour.  And three days vs. five days might not make a difference to some, but it might to others. 

1 hour ago, JapMo said:

Again, Christina has too many hang-ups to go in to in just one post, but IMO at least she's tried.  Henry has NEVER tried.  EVER.  He took one look at her and he was done.  

I think she was behind the 8-ball from the beginning, because she physically wasn't the petite woman he said he favors.  (Nice work, "experts.")  I think it's even worse with Christina, because there's just something about her that I think would read "big" even if she weighed 95 pounds. 

Then you start adding offenses, like her sketchy living arrangements or being rude to production, and I agree with your description that Henry was holding these things against her, and that she didnt have a chance.

1 hour ago, JapMo said:

Pastor Cal wasn't great but he was miles ahead of Dr. Pepper.

Except when he was advising Brett that compromise is essential in every marriage.  Of course he's right, but we're talking about compromise when they differ on having children, where to live, how to deal with money, and what kind of lifestyle to have, to name the obvious ones that the "experts" ignored in favor of matching them because both of them like cats (and it turns out their cats don't like each other!).  I suppose that if divorce were literally not an option and they had to live together for the rest of their lives, then something could be figured out, but the odds of either of them actually being happy or even content would be about zero. 

• Love 7

Oh, Woody. Chill on the baby making convo. You both want kids, give it at least a year or two of getting to know each other before getting pregs. Meanwhile, get that puppy. You will fall in love with it before you know it. 

Kudo's this episode go to:

Henry calling out ChristinA about her living arrangement lies. 

Brett for sitting through another of Olvia's scoldings then saying yeah, I'm out. See ya! 

Miles for admitting he's ready to give up on Karen. 

I'm glad Amelia and Bennett came to some agreement on her moving to VA but I wish she would have put a timeline on the commuting back and forth for Bennett. Like maybe saying they could try it for 6 mos and then he should have a feeling of what he wants to do. Leaving it wide open is not good in a situation like that. Bennett may think it's ok to go on like that indefinitely.  I want them to make it! 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, cardigirl said:

Shame on the show for not coming up with a definite timeline for them to finish. Instead they decide to "experiment" with the experiment and see how long they could drag this out. It sounds like the couples were left high and dry and at the beginning of the shut down, no one knew how long it was going to last. The show should have given them options to close it out, if they wanted to. 

True, but COVID would be considered force majeure.

I think the producers were like most people when this started, blindsided, no one really knew what to do.  I think they made the best of a messed up situation.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I really can't stand Brett.  He seems to be one of those people who use sarcasm to not deal with what's happening in front of him.  Sarcasm is fine for casual relationship and close friendships when people know who you are.  But Olivia didn't know Brett, his sarcasm probably sounded cruel to him.  And in the end, Brett does a punk move.  He runs away, first puts the blame on Oliva going to see her mother, THEN he tells Pastor Cal it was because of his cat.  Yes, he put the blame on his CAT.  What a tool.

I don't like Brett far too smug and over analytical. He would probably do fine with a very submissive woman...but then he would treat her like dirt. He lacks any empathy, compassion or pity for anyone. I agree they needed to call it quits...but he could have held her hands, looked her in the eyes and told her she's a fine beautiful woman inside and out but the source of the constant agitation and bickering is that we're not hewn from the same cloth. Nothing wrong with oil and water but they don't mix and either do we. He actually would have looked like a humanitarian instead of being a jerk.

ChristinA needs therapy, seriously.  See, she's one of those people who confuses sex with love.  She's used to men immediately wanting her sexually, but what happens to those relationships I wonder?  They probably implode.  ChristinA also said something about her knowledge of relationships are what she sees in the movies, which means that she, like Karen has a fantasy as to what a relationship should be.  ChristinA wants a romantic comedy type relationship, one where it just happens and she doesn't have to do any work.  That isn't reality.  I think Amelia said in the beginning,  she and Bennett spent their nights just talking.  ChristinA and Henry probably didn't do that; why didn't ChristinA know when Henry's birthday was?  Did she ask?  Did he even tell her?  Henry seems to be the type of person that needs to be brought out, but ChristinA doesn't want to do the work. 

The very day of the wedding Christina was putting down the man they chose for her probably in response to Henry not being overwhelmed or overjoyed with whom they chose for him. They have both done their due diligence to pull a rabbit out of the hat (ala first season) but sorry no rabbit. No matter how bad to make the accusation he's gay is abominable. It puts him in the position to say he's not gay with a certain air of disdain. 

I'm not sure about the sex thing between them. Do you believe if he had sex with her things would improve? As a man I do equate sex with love. I feel very loved by a woman who enjoys having sex with me but hopefully as a package deal that includes friendship and romance and being a couple. I have my doubts if there is anything Christina could do to win Henry's heart. She can't morph herself physically to be the kind of female Henry hoped for.

Looking at her bio...

Christina is a 30-year-old flight attendant who was raised by a single mother and never really knew her biological father. After ending a five-year relationship, Christina is ready to find her match with the help of the show’s experts.

Has anyone heard anything about this alleged 5 year relationship? I admit I skim and I don't watch any of the spin offs but I don't recall that ever being mentioned. If its true kind of blows the endless stream of man theory.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Neurochick said:

One more thing about Olivia.  So Brett was justified because she had a sour face?  Really?  I think Olivia took it seriously and Brett took it as a big joke. 

I think Olivia took it too seriously and Brett gave up at some point. Her expression is just an indication of her overall demeanor, which seems fairly unpleasant to me. His response to her calling him disingenuous was the most telling thing to me. The complete exasperation that there is no response that he can give that would satisfy her. He seems like a realist to me. She showed by her constant behavior that she didn't have any romantic interest in him - why should he stay? They have nothing in common but the cats! He did not handle it in the nicest manor, but I think he was completely justified considering he stuck it out until what would have been the end if there had been no pandemic. The cat comments to Pastor Cal were just deflection because he was done and didn't want to get into it anymore. He knew it was over and frankly, and so did she. I think she just didn't like that he was the decider because she thinks she is better than him. Obviously, we have different opinions of Brett 😜

• Love 11

Did anyone else hear ChristinA complain about Henry going to the store every day and not even thinking about buying her some $^^&*( flowers???? WHY would he buy her anything? He detests her. And it was HIS birthday that she forgot. Like she forgot his name at their wedding. I really like Henry and think that if she had been even a little bit kind to him, he may have overlooked those red flags that we all thought were suspicious. I am totally team Henry.

I pretty much FF through Bennett and Amelia. They are sweet and will be fine, but then they throw the 1 sheet comment in there. Also, he will go with her to VA full time, I am willing to bet.

We didn't see Miles storm out, so maybe next week. I am so glad that Karen is not getting her way as much, even with Dr. P. She gives him NOTHING and he doesn't ask for much - just to say she even likes him. That would make his day. Not a Karen fan at all and Miles deserves much better.

I still don't know what was going on with the DMs and Woody because I still can't understand him. He talks too low and mumbly and  just figure it was a no big deal story and they would be fine. Just get the puppy.

I don't think Olivia cared about Brett after the first week and she is just sad that her happy ever after dream didn't come true and is probably embarrassed. Brett and his cat and house will be fine. He will find someone (or, after this show, someone will find him).

Edited by Retired at last
  • Love 7
43 minutes ago, cinsays said:

huh... I don't really think any man who is not gay would even comment about that gay rumor if she hadn't said it.  What would that buy him to put that notion out there?

There really are many people who have not been out of the country that are not "off". 

Confused as to why he brought it up in the first place if there was no evidence at all that it ever happened.  

It's not just that he hasn't left the country, it seems that he hasn't done much of anything and he's 35.  

I think what the experts don't get is that attraction is very important.  

I don't think Brett was attracted to Olivia.  I don't think Henry and ChristinA were attracted to each other.  I don't think Karen was attracted to Miles.  

Sometimes if you don't feel that initial attraction it's hard to move forward.  It can happen, but sometimes it doesn't happen.  That's why this show is a crapshoot.  You can match people for the best reasons in the world, but if they don't have that initial attraction, sorry, not going to happen.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 9
31 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

Did anyone else hear ChristinA complain about Henry going to the store every day and not even thinking about buying her some $^^&*( flowers???? WHY would he buy her anything? He detests her. And it was HIS birthday that she forgot. Like she forgot his name at their wedding. I really like Henry and think that if she had been even a little bit kind to him, he may have overlooked those red flags that we all thought were suspicious. I am totally team Henry.

Not sure if Henry told her it was his birthday, but when a cake got delivered that should have clued her in.   I like him too. 

Henry goes out to get away from her,  not to go shopping for her!

• LOL 3
  • Love 14

I just think that people are allowed to not be into something. Woody is obviously a mani-pedi guy and Amani thinks that is great which is absolutely fine. Karen is not into that type of "date" and I just can't fault her for that. What other people do has nothing to do with anything.

A good date for Karen is one where she gets to constantly question his masculinity, his authenticity, his true motives, anything he says or does, the manner in which he says and does it, etc. That was *really* a classy move by the way, belittling him in front of the chef on the cooking date. IMO it speaks to a complete lack of substance paired with a snotty entitlement — not very attractive. Someone remind me of *anything* positive she brings to the table? I don't blame Miles for being depressed, *I* was getting depressed listening to her histrionics. Karmically speaking, she should have to live with a hypercritical person and see what an enjoyable experience that is. Even if they stay together, I don't think the marriage will last long. I really hope a child doesn't enter the picture. 

Except when he was advising Brett that compromise is essential in every marriage.  Of course he's right, but we're talking about compromise when they differ on having children, where to live, how to deal with money, and what kind of lifestyle to have, to name the obvious ones that the "experts" ignored in favor of matching them because both of them like cats (and it turns out their cats don't like each other!). 

Adults in marriages compromise about big and little things alike. The difference is that healthy compromises don't tend to arise with constant sarcasm from one of the parties.  

Edited by Mrs. Button
  • Love 6

During the Amelia and Bennett scene I was a bit angry at Dr. Pepper.  She bragged during Unfiltered that she made Dr. Viv and Pastor Cal match Amelia and Bennett.  While they may be perfect for each other, my anger was directed towards matching two people knowing that one of them almost certainly would have to move within six months (there may have been a slight chance that Amelia would have been matched to a hospital in New Orleans, but it was far more likely that she would be matched elsewhere).  Bennett ended up deciding to split his time between Richmond and New Orleans, but I feel it was unfair to intentionally place someone in the position of having to make such a decision so soon after being married.  I'm a bit peeved at Amelia for even signing up to get married knowing she most likely would be moving, but it's the producers and Dr. Pepper who actually cast her instead of someone else.

I also think that Henry "hides" behind his shyness.  He started to justify his lack of communication to Pastor Cal by saying that is just how he is and he can't change it.  I was so glad that Pastor Cal told him that yes he can change it.  I was saying it right along with Pastor Cal.  Maybe Henry just doesn't want to be bothered to even interact with Christina, but he certainly can clearly communicate with someone when he wants to. 

I'm 100% on Team Brett.  Olivia has consistently complained about Brett's lack of communication when instead she means his lack of subjugating his goals to hers.  I think Olivia believes that good communication is when everyone agrees with her, otherwise she will keep trying to convince them of her rightness and their wrongness.  Her insistence on traveling during COVID may have just been the last straw for Brett.  He stayed for the original timeline of the "social experiment" but was not interested in spending an unknown amount of time in an environment in which Olivia made her disdain known to him.  I don't understand why she was upset that there wasn't any food in the apartment after he left as she often told us that she prefers to eat out (I'm assuming there was carry out/delivery available).

I felt so bad for Miles as I think he is one of the most sincere participants that this show has had and that he really wanted to get married.  I think it must hurt a bit that his best friend is so happy with his match (wife) while Miles is in a one-way relationship.

Adore Woody and Amani, but I side with Amani about getting a puppy before having a baby.  I've had friends who have gotten puppies and babies at the same time and it's just too overwhelming.  Train the puppy before having a baby (IMO).   

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

Adore Woody and Amani, but I side with Amani about getting a puppy before having a baby.  I've had friends who have gotten puppies and babies at the same time and it's just too overwhelming.  Train the puppy before having a baby (IMO). 

This!!  Puppies are a LOT of work, as are babies.  We got a puppy when I was 7.5 months pregnant with my first baby.  I would NOT do that again.  

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

Confused as to why he brought it up in the first place if there was no evidence at all that it ever happened.  

It's not just that he hasn't left the country, it seems that he hasn't done much of anything and he's 35.  

I don't think Brett was attracted to Olivia.  I don't think Henry and ChristinA were attracted to each other.  I don't think Karen was attracted to Miles.  

Sometimes if you don't feel that initial attraction it's hard to move forward.  It can happen, but sometimes it doesn't happen.  That's why this show is a crapshoot.  You can match people for the best reasons in the world, but if they don't have that initial attraction, sorry, not going to happen.

How do you know Henry hasn’t done anything? He went to college , works and likely has done many things they just were in this country. My own sister is 60 and never left the country because she couldn’t afford it. She still had friends, college, local travel, concerts, family weddings and all the other things that go with being human.

I was 28 before I left the country and still don’t know how to swim. Doesn’t mean someone is off. 

• Love 16
1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

I think Brett was attracted to Olivia - he was always touching her, trying to kiss and snuggle her. She was the one pulling away. I totally agree about the other two couples though......

• Love 8
39 minutes ago, Mrs. Button said:

Adults in marriages compromise about big and little things alike.

Adults also get divorced over the issues that Brett and Olivia were arguing over. These are not small things. They are serious compatibility problems that should have informed the experts decision to even consider matching them in the first place, buy hey, cats!

• Love 18

I think Brett was attracted to Olivia - he was always touching her, trying to kiss and snuggle her. She was the one pulling away. I totally agree about the other two couples though......

I agree completely. She *really* distanced herself once she felt he was not agreeing to put the more difficult issues on hold, as they'd apparently agreed with one of the experts, and just see if they could get along. I agree with this completely — if my husband and I had to figure out up front how to resolve everything we didn't see eye to eye on while still getting to know each other, it never would have worked. At any rate, he couldn't get past them, she couldn't seem to generate any sort of human warmth (which I get — she was confused and not feeling that she was with the same person constantly; I also get that she came off as super cold and judgy), and it was over.

Adults also get divorced over the issues that Brett and Olivia were arguing over. These are not small things. They are serious compatibility problems that should have informed the experts decision to even consider matching them in the first place, buy hey, cats!

Absolutely they do! But plenty of people work them and far bigger issues out as well. As I said, I feel like they were putting the cart before the horse trying to figure out a solution for everything before deciding if they could even stand the other (which they obviously can't so oh well).

Edited by Mrs. Button
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I don't like Brett, and I don't think he handled their communication well, but I don't blame him for being upset with Olivia for traveling, nor do I blame him for moving out. I just think it would have been better if he had told her in person. They honestly  should both feel relieved at being split up. There was no way they were going to make their relationship work. As Brett said, and Olivia agreed, they had fundamental differences and sometimes you just can't compromise on them.

As far as the penalty, I believe I heard it's $50,000 if you decide to leave the show mid-filming. So, my interpretation is, you don't have to stay in the marriage but you have to allow them to keep filming you. I don't know how that's going to work this season. I don't need to see Brett and Olivia moping around on their own during lockdown.

Miles is a gem, if I have not mentioned it before. Seriously, what a sweet guy. I don't know what is wrong with Karen. If I didn't know better, I would think SHE is the one with clinical depression. She's so damn cold and she doesn't even give him a crumb of attention let alone affection. She is going to lose an awesome guy. (Although my daughter says Miles is glad to not have the film crew around, more macaroni and cheese for him, LOL).

It's kind of adorable to see Bennett/Amelia and Woody/Amani discussing having kids already, but I'm glad they both decided to put it off for awhile. Bennett may decide to move FT to Virginia because I've got to believe there isn't too much demand for theater/live music/pedicabs during a pandemic. He may figure he'd be better off living with Amelia than trying to make do during the pandemic. Anyway, I'm glad to see these two couples continuing to get along and progress. It's very sweet to see all the things they do for each other.

I'm Team Henry right now. I think ChristinA is a gaslighter. And I can't believe she forgot his birthday. We still never got an explanation of where she was actually living, did we? And then she starts crying, and that basically shut down the discussion. She obviously craves more sexual attention - it would not surprise me if she was carrying on with someone else. And accusing Henry of being gay is a low blow. He's just not into you, ChristinA. I don't know if these two will make it to decision day. Henry should pull the plug now.

Why was Dr. Pepper pinned to her bookshelves? That looked so strange.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
22 minutes ago, Mrs. Button said:

I agree completely. She *really* distanced herself once she felt he was not agreeing to put the more difficult issues on hold, as they'd apparently agreed with one of the experts, and just see if they could get along. I agree with this completely — if my husband and I had to figure out up front how to resolve everything we didn't see eye to eye on while still getting to know each other, it never would have worked. At any rate, he couldn't get past them, she couldn't seem to generate any sort of human warmth (which I get — she was confused and not feeling that she was with the same person constantly; I also get that she came off as super cold and judgy), and it was over.

Absolutely they do! But plenty of people work them and far bigger issues out as well. As I said, I feel like they were putting the cart before the horse trying to figure out a solution for everything before deciding if they could even stand the other (which they obviously can't so oh well).

People do work those things out, but usually that happens after you are already in a committed relationship and there is something significant to lose by walking away. That is not the case here. The experts have a responsibility to match these people in good faith with someone who is at a base level on the same page with each other on the big issues as it's already stressful enough under the circumstances being joined at the hip overnight with a stranger.

• Love 11

People do work those things out, but usually that happens after you are already in a committed relationship and there is something significant to lose by walking away. That is not the case here. The experts have a responsibility to match these people in good faith with someone who is at a base level on the same page with each other on the big issues as it's already stressful enough under the circumstances being joined at the hip overnight with a stranger.

Well, I *think* we can all agree that trying to work these very complex issues out out when there *is* no relationship is a recipe for failure. The experts did pair them, and they began with a blank slate & the opportunity to make the best of it. If they don't even *like* each other, trying to agree on where to live is a completely frustrating waste of time.  

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Neurochick said:

AMEN.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Soup333 said:

So does Brett have to pay the fee for leaving the marriage/show early? I wonder if he could say he was concerned about Olivia's job/Covid and get out of it. If he was still willing to end it knowing he'd have to pay he was REALLY over her. 

The contract was probably for the eight weeks and they had passed two weeks beyond that contract time. I don't think there would be any penalty because they fulfilled the eight week time. I think production was pretty coercive to have people continue for the six weeks and then add on a retreat.  I am very surprised that there wasn't more film to be used from that six week time. They did well not to have any gigantic blowups in six weeks of hunkering down in small apartments that were not their real apartment. I hope they gave them some kind of bonus.  I've hardly been out of the house on Long Island New York from the nine months so I was furious that Olivia went to see her parents anyway with her risk from her work and then she's gonna come back and risk Brett's health. Certainly she didn't care about Brett possibly bringing back some thing from her parents or any other people she might've interacted with.

I think people who are all Olivia need to look at that behavior because it doesn't look like a nice little sweet person; it looks like a very self-centered person, a person that prefers to do it their way without any compromise. I'm not saying that she and Brett had any future but I look at her self-centeredness is something she didn't even think about.  She never thought that if she had a husband she would have to compromise with him. I remember my shock when Brett asked about would she have time for him and she said he could join her when she was daily visiting with her friends.  That's pretty self-centered.  I think a husband was something she wanted to acquire as if was a thing not a person.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 18

I'm glad Amelia and Bennett came to some agreement on her moving to VA but I wish she would have put a timeline on the commuting back and forth for Bennett. Like maybe saying they could try it for 6 mos and then he should have a feeling of what he wants to do. Leaving it wide open is not good in a situation like that. Bennett may think it's ok to go on like that indefinitely.  I want them to make it! 

Eh - I think that Amelia is going to be a Family Practice Resident. That's a three year program. From there, she could stay in Virginia or put down roots elsewhere. Bennett could commute for those three years rather than completely uproot now and then potentially have to uproot all over again in three years.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

Oh, I thought Miles was 26 and Karen 30?  Whatever.lol.  I still think he could get plenty in the school system.

He is,  but you quoted me talking about Henry.  It’s all good!  Hell, they are all too young for me. Ha!

• LOL 3

I wonder if there really wasn't any food left in the pantry after Brett vacated the apartment, like Olivia said.  If you've ever had kids, how many times do they hang on to the refrigerator door and proclaim 'there's NOTHING to eat' when they're staring at cheese, bread, salad fixins, etc.  As far as the pantry, there's plenty of things........they just have to be made in most cases (Kraft boxed spaghetti, soup, cans of tuna fish, Jello instant pudding).  I had a friend who had been unemployed for 10 months and was to the point of selling blood (she was no loser....her company shut down and try as she might she couldn't get hired anywhere, though of course when she finally did get hired she had 2 job offers in the same week).  Anyway, she decided she wasn't going to purchase food until there was absolutely nothing left to eat in her pantry.  She lasted almost 2 weeks.  The final thing was a can of boiled potatoes...yech....but by God she ate 'em.  I've often wondered how long I could last.....I do have a lot of stuff crowded in my cupboard.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Elizzikra said:

Eh - I think that Amelia is going to be a Family Practice Resident. That's a three year program. From there, she could stay in Virginia or put down roots elsewhere. Bennett could commute for those three years rather than completely uproot now and then potentially have to uproot all over again in three years.

I don't know if that will work for Amelia. She wants to start a family within a year or two. They are newly married and barely know each other. They don't have a firm, grounded foundation yet.  They need the time together. I think the distance and commuting will get old for her. Every two weeks can turn in to once a month, then once every six weeks, then once every three months, etc etc... not good for newlyweds. Bennett will need to make a choice eventually. I hope he chooses to be with Amelia full time, all the time. 

• Love 4
20 hours ago, rlc said:

WTH with Peppa questioning Olivia about giving up on the relationship. Um, she came home to find he had moved out without telling her and had taken all the food. This is on Brett. Also, why was he freaking out about her visiting her family? It would be one thing if she had been quarantining, but she’s been going to work every day. 

in Brett's defense, It was mentioned that her town was put on on lockdown.  Only essential travel to and from work was authorized during that time.  In Olivia's defense, she didn't use the term visiting her parents, but rather "checking on her parents"  She is a nurse practitioner and perhaps they had health needs.  We weren't told.  

• Love 4
23 hours ago, Soup333 said:

I haven’t even finished this episode but this flashback to the beginning of our lockdown situation is making me anxious? sad? 

I actually felt kind of irritated/annoyed when Amelia cycled down Bourbon St. singing a happy tune about how it was empty.  Acknowledge the gravity of the situation for goodness' sake!  At least Bennett mentioned economic collapse.  This is the first time that their quirkiness didn't strike the right note for me.

• Useful 4
  • Love 7
11 hours ago, CSunshine76 said:

Yes, Henry just turned 35. I think there was confusion about Henry and Miles. Miles is 26 and works in education; Henry is 35 and works in some aspect of health care.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

Miles is 26, born in South Carolina and loves working with young adults and children, which can mean many things.  Teacher, teacher aide, librarian, etc.  who knows.  

He said in the beginning that he was a "school administrator" - my guess is guidance counselor, but could be an assistant principal.  Or a liar like Michael 😄 

7 hours ago, DrewPaul2010 said:

No matter how bad to make the accusation he's gay is abominable. It puts him in the position to say he's not gay with a certain air of disdain.

You would think so but I thought he handled that very well - merely pointed out that if he were gay he wouldn't have come on tv to marry a strange woman.  No disdain.

7 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I think Brett was attracted to Olivia (and frankly I was surprised that he was) - she was the one who confidently told "pastor" Cal after their honeymoon that they'd have time for sex eventually because they are married.  She didn't like his income or his house (and you just know she hated that suitcase and told him so even if we didn't get to hear it 😄 ). If she had a personality more like Amani I think he'd have been fine with her.

3 hours ago, Kira53 said:

I think people who are all Olivia need to look at that behavior because it doesn't look like a nice little sweet person; it looks like a very self-centered person, a person that prefers to do it their way without any compromise. I'm not saying that she and Brett had any future but I look at her self-centeredness is something she didn't even think about.  She never thought that if she had a husband she would have to compromise with him. 

Bingo!  Totally agree.

1 hour ago, JapMo said:

Anyway, she decided she wasn't going to purchase food until there was absolutely nothing left to eat in her pantry.  She lasted almost 2 weeks.  The final thing was a can of boiled potatoes...yech....but by God she ate 'em.  I've often wondered how long I could last.....I do have a lot of stuff crowded in my cupboard.

Funny thing that you should ask - when this quarantine started that's almost exactly what I decided to do - I say almost because I did do a fresh produce run twice a week, and would buy other stuff if it was needed to make a meal, but the rule was I had to use something from the pantry or freezer for every meal.  I did a really good job cleaning out my space!

I am Team Woody on the puppy thing - I always thought that if I had to go home to kids I might as well have a pet there too, but if there are no kids I don't want to have to miss happy hours, trips, etc. to go home and let a dog out.

• Love 3

The Karen wants a thug hypothesis keeps resurfacing. People from many different walks of life cheat. A former colleague had an affair with the married principal and had an abortion. Our married program director is having an affair with one of the other managers. These are dudes with masters degrees in education and social work who live in the suburbs and look like shorter Henrys.

A young male elementary school educator might not be the kind of guy a woman who wants to be part of a power couple imagines marrying. Also, Karen said Miles treated her as if he was one of her girlfriends. I can imagine him in the teachers lounge calling one of his colleagues sis. It's not that he's not masculine. Maybe, as a large black man who works around women and children, he's worked to be even more innocuous than he already is by nature. Agreeable. He doesn't stand up for himself. A few episodes back he mentioned being mindful of the cameras. 

Edited by Rhiannon Hunter
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

Ring Ring Ring

Brett: Hello.

MAFS lawyers: Brett, you have incurred a $1000 fine for leaving Olivia before Decision Day.

Brett: Okay.

Lawyers: You need to pay.

Brett: Give me a minute, let me input my fine into my budget spread sheet....okay...

Brett: You can expect a payment of $1 each year for the next 1000 years.

Who do I make check out to?

https://soapdirt.com/married-at-first-sight-does-cast-pay-big-if-they-dont-say-i-do/

50K penalty...that explains Meka/Michael, Brandon/Tay, Karen

Edited by humbleopinion
  • LOL 6

It's hard to imagine why Henry and Christina do not call it quits like Brett and Olivia.  I think it is because Christina is homeless and jobless. No where to go, so why not drag things out.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

I am no fan of Olivia.  But it did pull at my heartstrings when she asked Brett if there was a chance that things could turn around.  For a brief second, she had a pleading look on her face just before he told her no thanks. 

Edited by Mollypup
  • Love 3