Type keyword(s) to search

12 Monkeys In The Media

I really like this show, but I've always feared it would end up like many serialized sci fi shows and most time travel shows and become an aimless, convoluted mess that collapses under the weight of its own internal logic and mythology (or lack thereof).   Unfortunately, that promo doesn't do anything to allay that fear.  Now they can go to the 40s (it was a big deal to get enough power for the 80s last year), Cassie's a time traveler and there are others now too, the Red Forest, the Blue Men.  There's a lot of elements that seem to added either to be cool or mysterious but if there's no plan we'll end up with another Lost.   I hope they pull everything together well and don't string us along.

• Love 2

J

April?! Ugh.

"Ugh" because:
  • It's 5 more months from now and you don't want to wait that long?
  • It's a frickin' year since the last episode aired and that can't be good for retaining audience?
  • April is a terrible time to premiere a new season, and, if so, why?
  • All of the above?
  • Something else?
Just wondering.

I really like this show, but I've always feared it would end up like many serialized sci fi shows and most time travel shows and become an aimless, convoluted mess that collapses under the weight of its own internal logic and mythology (or lack thereof).   Unfortunately, that promo doesn't do anything to allay that fear. 

Sadly, that's my fear after seeing the promo, too. I thought they did a really excellent job in the first season about making things really consistent and at least giving the appearance (to someone who hasn't seen the "ending") of making it seem as if they had a definite plan and were keeping it on track.

This promo, though, seems like they are throwing a lot of things into the mix that just feel (from an admittedly very short preview) as if they are losing the forest for the trees. I guess I've just seen too many shows that get ruined by their own success, and the sudden prospect of potentially multiple seasons making the throughline get muddled as they try to keep the momentum going without resolution (LOST being a prime example; Orphan Black was another one for me). 

I hope I'm wrong. April seems so far away... I need a time machine.

• Love 1

Whenever I see a trailer for Season Two, it reminds me of how much was packed into season one.

We saw so much that if they titled these promos "season three", I wouldn't have noticed.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 1

Syfy has put out another press release about the upcoming season:

Syfy’s critically-acclaimed time-travel thriller 12 MONKEYS returns for its second season on Monday, April 18 at 9PM ET/PT with 13 all-new episodes.  Aaron Stanford (James Cole), Amanda Schull (Dr. Cassandra Railly), Kirk Acevedo (Ramse), Barbara Sukowa (Katarina Jones), Emily Hampshire (Jennifer Goines) and Todd Stashwick (Deacon) once again star in the drama...

Most notably, several major guest stars were mentioned:

• Madeleine Stowe (star of the “Twelve Monkeys” film) as Lillian, a mental patient in the 1950s who has a major impact on Cole’s mission.
  • Michael Hogan (“Battlestar Galactica”) as Dr. David Eckland, a charismatic and intelligent scientist from the future with a connection to Jones.
  • Brendan Coyle (“Downtown Abbey”) as Dr. Benjamin Kalman, a former bioengineer racked with guilt over the deadly virus his team gave birth to.
  • Jay Karnes (“The Shield”) as a savvy FBI agent in the 1940s named Robert Gale, who believes Cole is connected to a series of grisly murders.
  • David Dastmalchian (“Marvel’s Ant-Man”) as Kyle Slade, a Vietnam vet whose mind is connected to time itself.
  • David Marciano (“Homeland”) as NYPD detective John Damato, who’s pulled into the 1975 case of a serial killer affiliated with the Army of the 12 Monkeys.
  • Xander Berkeley (“The Walking Dead”) returns as the tragic military leader Jonathan Foster who ran the Government's final hope to combat the plague that destroyed the world.

Very, very long time lurker, first time poster!

Looks like S2 is going to end on a cliffhanger: http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/12-monkeys-cliffhanger-lead-season-three/ (no spoilers)

And there's still no word on renewal. Basically the ratings are not looking good, along with the renewal chances. According to the showrunner Terry Matalas (who is brilliant with us fans) it's all about eyes on screen live - the Nielson ratings - or viewing on the Syfy website. Word of mouth. An uptick in the ratings could make a difference as apparently these next few episodes are critical.  It's an expensive show, they want a return on their investment.  Syfy also monitors Twitter, especially during screenings - use the hashtag #12Monkeys or #12MonkeysSyfy - there's lots of us on there!

Or write to Syfy like people here have: http://www.goldenspiralmedia.com/an-open-letter-to-syfy-save-12-monkeys

Some other recent links:

http://www.wnypapers.com/news/article/featured/2016/05/16/124709/interview-amanda-schull-shines-on-underappreciated-12-monkeys (fab interview)

https://grizzlybomb.com/2016/05/16/12-monkeys-star-todd-stashwick-talks-with-us-about-how-to-make-season-3-happen/ (another fab interview!)

• Love 2

*phew* I was worried after having already lost Limitless. Not sure if the 10 episodes order means it'll be the final season but if it's the case I won't mind as long as the showrunners know and can things wrap up accordingly. The premise of the show can't be extended for too many seasons.

• Love 3

Yay!  Got a little worried there for a second, but I'm glad it will be back!

That said, three or four seasons is when most Syfy shows tend to finally get canceled, so I hope the writers are prepared to not leave it on a cliffhanger or anything.

YAAAAY, it got renewed.   At least we had warning it would only be 10 and most likely the last.   Unlike other shows I could mention that were told they had 2 year renewals then after they wrapped year 1 of the renewal were told the second year was not happening.  

• Love 2
(edited)

I was totally expecting a cancellation. This season was a big disappointment to me but I still care about the characters so here's to hoping the next one will be a bit better.

That said, if I had to choose, I'm not sure if I'd choose a 12 Monkeys renewal over Wynonna Earp. I mean, of course this show is much better, but Wynonna is super fun and I had low enough expectations for it so it never disappoints me.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1

Hurray! To paraphrase Jennifer, "Faith in Syfy restored. Faith in the target demographic, not so much." (Because, really, how are more people not watching this?) Easier to enjoy the next two episodes this way, the only trepidation is the inevitable cliffhanger(s) of the season finale.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, FurryFury said:

That said, if I had to choose, I'm not sure if I'd choose a 12 Monkeys renewal over Wynonna Earp. I mean, of course this show is much better, but Wynonna is super fun and I had low enough expectations for it so it never disappoints me.

I love Wynonna Earp but if I had to chose between the two I would not hesitate. This show is daring and challenging (and yes, why are not more people watching?) and deserves to tell its story to the end.

As for Wynonna Earp - obviously I hope it gets renewed. It's such a fun show but then I remember what happened to the last show with a batsh*t crazy premise I liked - it tanked spectacularly in S2 despite having freaking John Noble on board *sigh*

• Love 3
(edited)

Hey, first time here. Why there aren't more stuff in this forum about this great show?? I adore this show. It has everything I love, good storytelling, great actors, time traveling with some sense. I just wanted come here and drop hai :) looking forward to new episode. 

Edited by Lidach
  • Love 2
(edited)

According to this article, 12 Monkeys Renewed For Season 3 At SyFy

we get a third season of 12 Monkeys!!  Wooo! *dancing*

{  only 10 episodes though, :(  }

ETA:  Sorry.  How the hell did I miss this - I'm about a week and a half out of date with this awesome news.  lol.  Begin the Splinter Sequence, Dr Jones, I need to go back a few days and get some egg off my face!

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 6
On 6/29/2016 at 4:21 PM, MissLucas said:

*phew* I was worried after having already lost Limitless. Not sure if the 10 episodes order means it'll be the final season but if it's the case I won't mind as long as the showrunners know and can things wrap up accordingly. The premise of the show can't be extended for too many seasons.

'Word' to the whole post, but especially the bolded part.  So mad that I got very invested in that show, only to have it axed a few seasons too soon.  *kicks wall*

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Gillian Rosh said:

I'm really glad the show has been renewed. Can't wait to see what the writers do for season 3.

If I had watched tonight without knowing about the renewal, I'd by typing this with bloody fingertips because I would have chewed all my fingernails down and ripped up the ends of my fingers. 

Wow.

• Love 2