Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E16: A Certain Doom

• Start Topic

This may have been addressed in another episode thread but I can’t go reread every comment. 

Are they reusing old sets?  The entrance to the “emergency  room” of the building they are making their last stand in looks a lot like the parking lot of Grady Memorial when Daryl walked out carrying dead Beth.  

Anyone else see the resemblance?

• Love 2

I saw the storm troopers and I thought Hunger Games.

I checked out of TWD after Negan showed up and stopped watching until this last season when I caught a few episodes.  Other than the old regulars, I don't really know who anyone is and I can't say that it affects my watching pleasure, such as it is.  I've decided that part of the problem with this show is that the zombies just aren't that interesting and they don't really seem to pose that much of a threat.  They should have them evolve somehow, mutate, become something unexpected, do something unusual.

I thought Beta's death was appropriate for a Beta.  He wasn't the Alpha so his death had to be something less than hers was.  

They've made Negan into some weird combination of Rick, the Governor and Gareth.

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, Dodginblue said:

Other than the old regulars, I don't really know who anyone is and I can't say that it affects my watching pleasure, such as it is. 

I have watched all the episodes and I can tell you that you are at the same level as about anyone here.🙂

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, heisenberg said:

She might find he is changed, she starts dating him, than they get married, make a child and call him Glenn.

I mean, sure Negan might have led a bloody tyrannical reign for years that left countless people dead, maimed, and traumatized, including our main characters, murdering innocent people and beating some of our main characters to death with a baseball bat...but a small child vouched for him and he can garden, so its all good! 

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

In other aspects of life, ten minutes is a long time. 

When watching a pilot episode, that is a horrible sign for that new series.

It was a very slow start.  But in the end everyone died so it’s ok. 

• LOL 4

I just tried to rewatch this, what with being distracted on Sunday by my pasta sauce, 8 million commercials (sometimes I don't know if they are commercials or part of the show) and the live chat. I managed about 15 minutes, and was again distracted by the fact that after 10 years in all sorts of weather, the walkers' clothes are all perfectly intact and that Beta, whose only disguise is half of an old, dried-out skin mask could march unmolested in a massive horde. I gave up. Maybe I'll try again another day.

9 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Now that Maggie has come back, I hope she isn't instantly elevated into a leadership role.  She bailed on everyone and left them all behind.  She needs to earn her leadership role again.

What was the real reason that Maggie was written off the show in the first place?  Did the actress (Lauren Cohen) want out?  Did she just want to take a break?  Did the writers not want her on the show anymore?  Did they want to remove the character so she could make a dramatic return later?  Seems strange.

1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

I never saw it either. I only knew about it from reading this forum.

I remember seeing the commercials.  I recall thinking at the time that I bet she was happy to be able to dress up and be a little more glamorous instead of having to look dirty all the time.

• LOL 1
7 hours ago, rmontro said:

Oh yeah, Whiskey Cavalier, I forgot about that.  Didn't watch it, that's probably why I didn't remember it.

4 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I never saw it either. I only knew about it from reading this forum.

Neither did anybody else - which is precisely why everybody’s heralding the return of Maggie on this show.  😄

• LOL 2
21 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

She was offered a show of her own which was canceled.

No wonder I didn't remember, neither she nor Chris Hardwick mentioned that as the reason for her return on Talking Dead.  I don't know how they could have left that out.

They didn't kill her character off when she left, they must have had some sort of agreement or been on good terms.  She had to take the opportunity, I suppose, so the show left the door open in case it didn't work out.  TV history is full of stars who left to find glory on their own, some succeeded, some didn't.  Walking Dead is kind of unique since everyone seems to be on borrowed time.  Well, almost everyone.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, rmontro said:

TV history is full of stars who left to find glory on their own, some succeeded, some didn't. 

Most, who felt they were too good for the shows that made them famous did not succeed or only moderately succeeded. The Clint Eastwoods and Steve McQueens are few and far between and even for them it was a long road to stardom. On shows with an ensemble cast, the parts are often the sum of the whole.

Seeing Lauren Cohan return when obviously it was a "this gig is better than nothing" thing, does not endear her to viewers, IMO.

I actually watched a few episodes of Whiskey Cavalier.  I really enjoyed to foreign locales of the show...

I've never been a fan of Maggie (liked the sister even less), but at this point I'm just happy to watch a character whose name I actually know while also knowing their back story.  Over these last few seasons they introduced so many new characters and then killed off most of them, so there wasn't a point (for me) of learning about the new characters.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Superclam said:

I think it's safe to say this show (and franchise) has lost its "buzz." 

I think I posted this in the "Shitshow World Beyond" area, but this finale set viewership records...

In the wrong direction.

The Walking Dead season 10 finale has scored the show’s lowest ratings to date.

‘A Certain Doom’, the long-awaited episode which aired last weekend (October 4), was watched by 2.7 million viewers – the lowest of any season 10 episode.

Put a fork in TWD, it's done.  

Sure, there's another season reportedly coming and I'll half-heartedly watch it but...yeah. 

RIP TWD.  

Edited by Persnickety1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, heisenberg said:

Not even two pages for a finale that took 6 months to come up...  I guess that's it then.

I recall when I used to see this show the day after everyone else did. By the time I got here, there were so many pages I couldn't possibly catch up. Now I can do it while waiting for my spaghetti noodles to reach the al dente stage.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Superclam said:

It must still be making money for AMC for them to continue AND expand like this. I wonder what the break-even point is? 

I've come to the conclusion AMC must be huge gamblers.

Like that person most of us know that keeps feeding $ into the slot machine thinking it will hit big NEXT TIME.  

And they keep pumping money into the machine until eventually they go broke.

I really think AMC knows this ship has sunk like the Titanic, but are trying a hit-and-miss approach to bringing back viewers to the original or to the other franchises hoping to recoup and regain their long-gone glory days.  

I think the Daryl/Carole show will be an epic failure as well, and I say this as someone who has loved Carole since the start.  Sure, I'll give it a try (if it really happens, could be like those alleged Rick Grimes movies), but I'm not hoping for much.  

I had to finally accept the fact that a beloved pair of Manolo Blahnik shoes were beyond repair and it was time to toss them.  I had gotten a lot of mileage out of them but they were tired and worn out.  

AMC needs to do this with TWD and their pipe dreams for its offshoots.    

I'll watch this crap until the bloody end (even if it's hate watching), but my expectations are nonexistent at this point.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, Persnickety1 said:

I'll watch this crap until the bloody end (even if it's hate watching), but my expectations are nonexistent at this point.  

I'll watch the original until the bloody end because I've come this far and for other reasons I don't really know and can't express. I quit watching Fear a few years ago. From what I read, it gets better, then it gets worse, then it gets better, then... I have no regrets. 

I'm watching the teen version and I'm not into it. Things are pretty boring lately and there are only 7 episodes left this year, so I'll give it until then. I'll see about next season when and if it happens. 

The Carole and Daryl show will be boring. Since we already know neither one of them will die, it'll just be a road trip. 

The proposed anthology series that I've heard whispered about sounds interesting. Who knows if that'll see the light of day? 

If the Rick movie ever actually comes out, I'll watch it when it's on TV. No way I'm paying movie prices for that, and I can't imagine many other people will either. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Superclam said:

I'll watch the original until the bloody end because I've come this far and for other reasons I don't really know and can't express. I quit watching Fear a few years ago. From what I read, it gets better, then it gets worse, then it gets better, then... I have no regrets. 

I'm watching the teen version and I'm not into it. Things are pretty boring lately and there are only 7 episodes left this year, so I'll give it until then. I'll see about next season when and if it happens. 

The Carole and Daryl show will be boring. Since we already know neither one of them will die, it'll just be a road trip. 

The proposed anthology series that I've heard whispered about sounds interesting. Who knows if that'll see the light of day? 

If the Rick movie ever actually comes out, I'll watch it when it's on TV. No way I'm paying movie prices for that, and I can't imagine many other people will either. 

I'm so skeptical about the Rick movies.  Dude was pissed when he left TWD because of the way they had killed off Carl (and the way they treated Riggs) and was pretty vocal about it.  I remember him saying he only came back for a few episodes the following season for the fans.  If he signed on for these movies, they must have offered him so much money that he couldn't resist.  Considering after all of this time, which was way pre-COVID, the writers have nada on film, I'm of the opinion they tossed those Rick movies out there just to keep viewers from tuning completely out.  No way I'd pay to watch a Rick movie, either.  I'd wait until AMC broke down and showed it on their regular channel that's included in my cable package.  

I agree with all of your other points.  

IRONY = Just now realized the title of this episode is pretty much an accurate summation of the status of this show.  😕

• Love 3
54 minutes ago, Superclam said:

I'll stick with the original too because I've been here this long and despite a lot of missteps, they do some amazing shit sometimes.  And I do love me some zombies.

I gave up on Fear in the beginning of the second season, then swung back in last season, I think, because I heard it was getting good and Garret Dillahunt was going to be on, who is one of my favorite actors.  It was until

Spoiler

Alicia decided she couldn't kill zombies anymore

and then I checked out for good.

I made it halfway through the teen version and gave up.

Carol & Daryl will be interesting at first, then it'll be the same old, same old.  I'm not giving that one much hope, but I will watc.

I love the idea of the anthology, especially because they may be addressing the back stories of characters already gone.  Just please don't do Lori.

When they're on TV, I'll watch the Rick movies.  I said from the moment they were announced that no one in their right mind would pay money to see them.  WD was on the decline when they announced them.

45 minutes ago, Persnickety1 said:

I'm so skeptical about the Rick movies.  Dude was pissed when he left TWD because of the way they had killed off Carl (and the way they treated Riggs) and was pretty vocal about it.  I remember him saying he only came back for a few episodes the following season for the fans. 

I never heard that!  I always heard he left because he wanted to spend time with family, but of course, that's what they all say. 😉

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I recall when I used to see this show the day after everyone else did. By the time I got here, there were so many pages I couldn't possibly catch up. Now I can do it while waiting for my spaghetti noodles to reach the al dente stage.

Same for me.  two hours after the show and I could not keep up reading on time, the messages were rolling too fast.  Sad...

4 hours ago, Persnickety1 said:

Maybe this episode...  was the end? 

But I agree with you and I feel the same.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, heisenberg said:

AMC is near bankruptcy:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/20/amc-warns-that-bankruptcy-is-on-the-table-as-cash-runs-low.html

I won't go further since it is a thread for TWD, but here is your answer.

That article is referring to AMC Theaters, not AMC Network - two totally different corporations, despite the similar initials:

• AMC Network’s initials stand for American Movie Classics - its original (and still flagship) cable channel.
  • AMC Theater’s initials stand for American Multi-Cinema; it essentially founded the concept of the movie multiplex.
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Nashville said:

That article is referring to AMC Theaters, not AMC Network - two totally different corporations, despite the similar initials:

• AMC Network’s initials stand for American Movie Classics - its original (and still flagship) cable channel.
  • AMC Theater’s initials stand for American Multi-Cinema; it essentially founded the concept of the movie multiplex.

Ok thanks, I did not know that.

• Love 2

I only half-watched this episode and thought to watch it again since I missed so much. I did try, but after about 15 minutes I was so bored and weary of it I just kind of wandered off. I remember rewatching entire seasons and enjoying them just as much as I had the first time around. Now? Should I be excited at the idea of getting some bizarro world Starship Troopers? At least, I guess that's what they are, never having watched a single Star Wars or whatever movie in which they were featured.

16 hours ago, Nashville said:

AMC Network’s initials stand for American Movie Classics - its original (and still flagship) cable channel.

Do they still show classic movies, or have they bowed to the demand of the lowest common denominator and now are packed with distasteful "reality" and sad freak shows in the style of Discovery and the Learning Channel?

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

Do they still show classic movies, or have they bowed to the demand of the lowest common denominator and now are packed with distasteful "reality" and sad freak shows in the style of Discovery and the Learning Channel?

In recent years AMC Network’s focus has shifted from classic movies to self-produced content; I think Breaking Bad and TWD gave them an entirely new perspective on ROI. Personally though, I’m wondering if that particular rat race has run its course...

• AMC’s flagships are either gone (Breaking Bad) or going (TWD).
  • Little of AMC’s recent original programming has shown much staying power past a season or two, other than flagship spinoffs like FTWD and Better Call Saul.
  • Some of the spinoffs even (BCS) are coming to their -ahem- terminus.

...which is why, I suspect, so much of AMC’s current activity seems focused on the flagellation of deceased ungulates - they simply don’t HAVE any real organizational course to follow at present.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Nashville said:

...which is why, I suspect, so much of AMC’s current activity seems focused on the flagellation of deceased ungulates - they simply don’t HAVE any real organizational course to follow at present.

They do all the opposite of Netflix, Amazon and other streaming services.  Instead of putting money on new projects, they live in the past like cowards.  If they had balls they would have bought Lucifer when it was avaible and have another franchise at the top (Just an example) but they won't. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 10/6/2020 at 8:26 PM, Dodginblue said:

I've decided that part of the problem with this show is that the zombies just aren't that interesting and they don't really seem to pose that much of a threat.  They should have them evolve somehow, mutate, become something unexpected, do something unusual.

You need to apply for a job as writer on this show! That is a good idea! The walkers have been for quite some time just inconvenient irritants and background annoyances like poison ivy or mosquitoes. Boring as hell. Your scenario would be so much better than just scraping up new and increasingly outlandish villains and cartoonish, nonsensical "groups".

twdMeeting-Suggestion copy.jpg

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
On 10/28/2020 at 3:21 PM, AngelaHunter said:

You need to apply for a job as writer on this show! That is a good idea! The walkers have been for quite some time just inconvenient irritants and background annoyances like poison ivy or mosquitoes. Boring as hell. Your scenario would be so much better than just scraping up new and increasingly outlandish villains and cartoonish, nonsensical "groups".

I don't remember for this episode, but in Fear The Woking Dead they don't have to hit their brain anymore.  A hit through the mouth sideways or the neck without reaching the brain is enough. 

Edited by heisenberg
  • Love 1
On 10/20/2020 at 9:28 AM, Superclam said:

I think it's safe to say this show (and franchise) has lost its "buzz." 

It's more fun to make fun of it than it is to watch it.

If anyone else wants to take a crack at it, here's the blank. I'm sure someone else can do much better than I.

Boardroom-newMeeting-Suggestion copy.png

15 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

If anyone else wants to take a crack at it, here's the blank. I'm sure someone else can do much better than I.

I thought your cartoon strip was hilarious and I certainly couldn't improve on it myself.  I'm not that talented.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Boardroom-newMeeting-Suggestion copy.png

I'm trying, thanks!

1986598176_Boardroom-newMeeting-Suggestioncopy.png.jpg.1e5d13ad6f7d11680ab7cd6c5942a392.jpg

• LOL 3
On 10/10/2020 at 4:01 PM, AngelaHunter said:

... and was again distracted by the fact that after 10 years in all sorts of weather, the walkers' clothes are all perfectly intact...

Not all walkers have been walkers for 10 years. Some have been walkers for 10 minutes.

5 hours ago, Lakebum said:

Not all walkers have been walkers for 10 years. Some have been walkers for 10 minutes.

True, but even the walkers who are now desiccated carcasses,  just walking skeletons still have clothing that has stayed intact over all the naughty bits. That's some tough fabric.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 10/6/2020 at 6:26 PM, Dodginblue said:

I saw the storm troopers and I thought Hunger Games.

I checked out of TWD after Negan showed up and stopped watching until this last season when I caught a few episodes.  Other than the old regulars, I don't really know who anyone is and I can't say that it affects my watching pleasure, such as it is.  I've decided that part of the problem with this show is that the zombies just aren't that interesting and they don't really seem to pose that much of a threat.  They should have them evolve somehow, mutate, become something unexpected, do something unusual.

I thought Beta's death was appropriate for a Beta.  He wasn't the Alpha so his death had to be something less than hers was.  

They've made Negan into some weird combination of Rick, the Governor and Gareth.

I checked out in season four. The problem was, and still sounds like based on these comments,  they recycle the same plot. Group meets new group, new group turns out to be bad, some of the good group pay for it, the good group barely escapes, the good group meets another group and it starts again. As soon as they dropped the “go to DC for a cure” arc, it all became pointless. I can’t believe I used to love this show. 

• Love 2