Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: New Orleans, Louisiana

• Start Topic

OK so now I am wondering if any of the stories have actual monsters or are all the people just mentally ill. I am looking for monsters and all the episodes are coming up short. I am not enjoying the series.

• Love 2

I am a huge fan of Nicole Beharie and watched this to see her, but no way am I watching this again.  The scene with the ear and the ice pick almost made me ill.

So I'm guessing the trumpet player was a manifestation of Annie's guilt, and the jazz band at the end were...demons?  Or just Annie going further into insanity.  I was wondering why her son didn't question the blood on her dress.

• Love 1

Oh man, that ice pick was a whole lot of nope. Also, hi Toni! Looks like ditching her daughter is working out well for her. 

This was probably my favorite episode so far, it was very atmospheric and I am a sucker for New Orleans as a setting. It also had a great cast, especially Nicole Beharie, and the fight between her and her son and the strong implication that she knew what her husband was up to, even abusing her own son, but turned a blind eye because she liked the lifestyle he gave her, was brutal. 

You know for a show called Monsterland, we haven't gotten a whole lot of monsters, have we? The monsters are mostly in the background, and instead we have focused on our mentally unstable miserable protagonists. I was kind of hoping for more monsters to be honest.

On 10/13/2020 at 1:04 PM, tennisgurl said:

I was kind of hoping for more monsters to be honest.

There are plenty of monsters and they're getting tons of airtime; the point is that most of the monsters are human, like the mother and stepfather in this episode.

• Love 2
On 10/13/2020 at 4:04 PM, tennisgurl said:

Also, hi Toni! Looks like ditching her daughter is working out well for her. 

Is this show based on a book, like a collection of short stories? Are the stories connected? I hope not because my local station seems to be showing them out of order. Episode 5 was first, then 1, then this one. Haven't seen #2 yet.

2 hours ago, Starchild said:

Is this show based on a book, like a collection of short stories? Are the stories connected?

Some of the episodes are based on short stories in North American Lake Monsters: Stories, by Nathan Ballingrud. The stories aren't interconnected in the book; they're standalones. 

• Love 1