Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E04: Chocolate Week

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Mittengirl said:

As a fellow coffee hater, I can always taste the coffee in chocolate desserts.  Maybe those who like the taste of it don’t notice it.

Ditto.  They swear it doesn't have any taste but I can certainly suss it out.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, MisterGlass said:

I feel a small need to defend U.S. chocolate.  It's not all Hershey, though I know it's the most widespread.  There are other brands like Guittard, Alter Eco, and Lake Champlain which taste like chocolate.

And of course, Ghirardelli, they of the fabulous brownie mix (also a terrific hot chocolate). I don't eat much milk chocolate anymore, apart from the occasional sneaky Kit Kat, but in my schoolkid days I got to tour their factory. The privilege of visiting their gift shop left me significantly poorer in cash but richer in fudge caramel.

Chalk me up as another coffee hater who can pick it out in chocolate desserts.

• Love 5
On 10/21/2020 at 11:18 PM, Lois Sandborne said:

And of course, Ghirardelli, they of the fabulous brownie mix (also a terrific hot chocolate). I don't eat much milk chocolate anymore, apart from the occasional sneaky Kit Kat, but in my schoolkid days I got to tour their factory. The privilege of visiting their gift shop left me significantly poorer in cash but richer in fudge caramel.

Chalk me up as another coffee hater who can pick it out in chocolate desserts.

I used to live in San Fran and had a temp job for a few months that was on the same block as Ghirardelli. If the job had lasted more than a couple months I would have ended up the size of a house. They make amazing chocolate. Sure it's not European chocolate, but for a lowly American chocolate it's pretty damned good. Of course I actually like Hershey so my taste is clearly questionable. 

• Love 7
On 10/21/2020 at 9:30 PM, Kohola3 said:

Ditto.  They swear it doesn't have any taste but I can certainly suss it out.  

What? If a coffee lover told you it doesn't have any taste, that person isn't a true coffee lover or else drinks really bad coffee!  Did you mean when coffee is added to chocolate, it doesn't have any taste? Then why would anyone add it? Of course it has a taste!  I for one love coffee and lots of frosting and hate the snobbery about Hersheys and Wal-Mart. Not everyone on this forum is a NY or California dweller with a Trader Joes down the block. There's a whole lot of America in between the east and west coasts that live in small towns, shop at Wal-Mart and love Hershey's. There's not a thing wrong with that!

Linda should have been star baker imo!

Edited by lark37
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, lark37 said:

Did you mean when coffee is added to chocolate, it doesn't have any taste?

Lots of baking shows say that.  Supposedly it "enhances" the taste of the chocolate but doesn't add a coffee flavor.  But if you don't like the taste of coffee, trust me, it stands out.

Hershey's is the only chocolate for a s'mores in my opinion.  Wouldn't be the same with anything else!  

• Love 3

Warning to all Ghirardelli brownie mix lovers: I saw their microwave mug mix a few days ago and decided to try it. I've used their regular brownie mix from Cost Co and liked it, but the individual mug mix doesn't measure up. The texture is too cake-y and not brownie-y. I consider this public service announcement to be my good deed for the day because I was totally disappointed (although to be fair, one box cost like $2 so it's not the worst $2 I've ever spent).

3946B729-D1F6-423B-BC80-7FCE08C3DCDF.thumb.jpeg.093b234bfe25f3297f8dd9ffd62d26ed.jpeg

Side note: does anyone else remember there used to be a microwavable brownie mix back in the 90s or 00s that came with a little plastic pan and everything? I have fond memories of making those which is what convinced me to try the Ghirardelli mug brownie mix.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I consider this public service announcement to be my good deed for the day because I was totally disappointed...

I was not happy, either.  Definitely not worth the money.  Pretty icky all the way around.

I don't remember the microwaveable brownie mix but my fondest childhood memory is of the Aunt Jemimah coffee cake mix.  There was a plastic bag with the mix in it - you added the egg and milk and massaged the bag to mix everything.  Then you put it all in the little pan (included), covered it with the cinnamon and suger topping, and baked it.  It was delicious and we all fought to be the one to do the "squishing" of the mix in the bag.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
On 10/21/2020 at 7:07 PM, sharifa70 said:

I love that you’re so specific in your directions to make sure the candy is unwrapped. Is there a story? Oh, please, let there be a story!

The "peanut butter blossoms" recipes also state to specifically unwrap the Hershey's kisses before sticking them in the cookie, and the caramel apple recipes state to unwrap the caramels before melting.  Le sigh....

Peanut butter cups  (unwrapped!) in a layer instead of peppermint patties also work.  Or a Hershey's Symphony (milk chocolate with toffee bits) in the middle can't go wrong.  Just sayin'....   I can not count the number of brownie recipes I've tried - and none compare to the box mixes for me. Their brownies, my extra bits. I often use a tablespoon or so of brewed coffee as part of the liquid (not a coffee lover), and often toss in a sprinkle of cinnamon or cayenne. Usually use the cayenne in a thin ganache-type frosting.  The movie "Chocolat" got me onto that kick. 

I thought this episode was just awful.  Mess after mess, and yes, they always seem to have Chocolate day on the warmest day of the year. (Day one, weren't they all in raincoats and sweaters?!)  I used to judge a children's problem solving competition, and the mantra we tried to instill was an average idea well-executed (and finished) will almost always beat an unfinished spectacular idea.

Love that the show is back!

Edited by SandyToes
  • Love 3
On 10/18/2020 at 3:56 PM, Mabinogia said:

I will eat the frosting and leave the cake personally, so naked cakes aren't something that appeal to me at all. 

Complete opposite - I scrape off the frosting and eat the cake.  My family all knows by now that if they want extra frosting on their cake, they just have to sit next to me.  And don't even get me started on those technicolor-pure-sugar roses....hard pass!

On 10/19/2020 at 5:20 PM, Mittengirl said:

I don’t think I have had a fig outside of a Newton, so I don’t know what they taste like, but they sure don’t sound like something that should be on a brownie.  

Now I have to go buy Fig Newtons - I haven't had one in years.  Yum!

I think this was one of the funniest eps I can remember seeing in quite some time - between Lottie's "it looks like an actual car crash" to Noel singing the babka recipe to Hermine and her quick responses ("good luck with that!") and Matt's diatribe on not making a white chocolate cake that was too sweet, I loved it.  But really, the brownie segment was also rather funny - I adore hearing the contestants tell us their flavor combinations, but to hear them say things like "I am making a raspberry and peanut butter brownie topped with lime segments soaked in brandy and a salted caramel buttercream topping" was fantastic!  I exaggerate a wee bit but some of the concepts they came up with left me stunned.  As has been said many times in this thread, it doesn't take much to jazz up a brownie!

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 2
On 10/17/2020 at 3:49 AM, cherrypj said:

Babka is a huge favorite in our house. I make a chocolate (with or without chocolate chips), a Nutella (more chocolate!), and a walnut (with brown sugar). All are delicious. The King Arthur Baking recipe is my go-to: you can make your own filling. More importantly, I was chuffed to know exactly what to do during a technical! "Yep. That's how you cut it. Noooo--don't stick the ends up there! Oh, Sura, that's so long!" 

I'll definitely try Paul's recipe, but it's not up on the site yet (@ElectricBoogaloo: link is broken)

On 10/17/2020 at 4:14 AM, dleighg said:

You're right, it's not there now, but I printed it out yesterday planning to make it. Hope it's not down because it's got a mistake somehow, LOL.

FYI - the link is working now!

• Love 1
On 10/18/2020 at 4:47 PM, sharifa70 said:

I think I gained 10 pounds just reading the recipe. Dear, sweet lord indeed.

I’m going to try this next time I bake.

I made them this weekend for a party where I was meeting some of my fiance's friends that I didn't know yet.  Needless to say, I'm their new favorite.   Those brownies are THAT.  GOOD.  Is there almost 2 pounds of chocolate and 1 pound of butter?  Yes.  Are they still moist 5 days later without making much effort at wrapping them tight?  Yes, yes, they are.  

I also feel the need to defend American chocolate here, because I honestly don't get why Europeans feel theirs is so much better.  Americans overall prefer a darker chocolate profile compared to the milk chocolate that is predominant in Europe, which is what you might not expect of sugar loving Americans!  I feel like their milk chocolate is just TOO milky.  I would take Ghirardelli and many other American brands (like Chocolove) over the best Europe has to offer.  The exception, of course, is Vahlrona.  *chef's kiss*

I wish Europeans shared our love of peanut butter, because, as has been mentioned several times here, it is such a great partner to chocolate and especially brownies.  I'm a traditionalist with brownies, but I will allow peanut butter and caramel since it is impossible to ruin brownies with those 2 ingredients.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, larapu2000 said:

I feel like their milk chocolate is just TOO milky

Ugh, I hate milk chocolate. Give me a Hershey's Special Dark bar any day.  And Dove chocolate - my favorite affordable chocolate.  So smooth and such a wonderful flavor and I like their combos as well - with peanut butter, almonds, or mint.  Europe can ditch the 'tude.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

Ugh, I hate milk chocolate. Give me a Hershey's Special Dark bar any day.  And Dove chocolate - my favorite affordable chocolate.  So smooth and such a wonderful flavor and I like their combos as well - with peanut butter, almonds, or mint.  Europe can ditch the 'tude.

I usually prefer dark chocolate, but when I travel to Europe one of the first things I do upon arrival is go into a store and buy a giant Milka candy bar (usually with hazelnuts).  It stays in my purse and is my "I need a little pick me up" snack that I break off bit by bit as I tour the sights.  Yeah, I can get Milka in the US, but for some reason it's my foreign travel treat. 

• Love 1
On 10/24/2020 at 7:26 AM, Kohola3 said:

Lots of baking shows say that.  Supposedly it "enhances" the taste of the chocolate but doesn't add a coffee flavor.  But if you don't like the taste of coffee, trust me, it stands out.

Hershey's is the only chocolate for a s'mores in my opinion.  Wouldn't be the same with anything else!  

I use coffee in chocolate brownies and other baked goods because i love the taste of it, so I believe you. As for Hershey's and Smores, you are so correct. Back in September, hubby And our young grandkids tried to make smores in our backyard fire pit. The only chocolate I had on hand was Aldi brand dark. I didn't melt well and grandkids wouldn't eat it as it tasted "icky"! 

• Love 3
On 10/26/2020 at 1:55 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Warning to all Ghirardelli brownie mix lovers: I saw their microwave mug mix a few days ago and decided to try it. I've used their regular brownie mix from Cost Co and liked it, but the individual mug mix doesn't measure up. The texture is too cake-y and not brownie-y. I consider this public service announcement to be my good deed for the day because I was totally disappointed (although to be fair, one box cost like $2 so it's not the worst $2 I've ever spent).

3946B729-D1F6-423B-BC80-7FCE08C3DCDF.thumb.jpeg.093b234bfe25f3297f8dd9ffd62d26ed.jpeg

Side note: does anyone else remember there used to be a microwavable brownie mix back in the 90s or 00s that came with a little plastic pan and everything? I have fond memories of making those which is what convinced me to try the Ghirardelli mug brownie mix.

I hate caramel period. In chocolate salted caramel is nasty. I am too lazy to bake so I buy Trader Joe’s brookies. Brownie/cookie combo it’s too delicious to say no.

Edited by iwantcookies

I have two great brownie recipes that I use, and I never put anything in them other than chocolate chips.  The bakers really overthought it.  We are not coffee drinkers (though I love coffee ice cream), but I do add a tiny bit of espresso powder when the recipe calls for it.  My husband has not noticed.  I should try it without to see if it really makes a huge difference. I doubt it does.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

I hate caramel period. In chocolate salted caramel is nasty. I am too lazy to bake so I buy Trader Joe’s brookies. Brownie/cookie combo it’s too delicious to say no.

I love caramel and chocolate, particularly salted caramel. It's always interesting to see how tastes vary. I haven't had Trader Joe's brookies - but the version I had didn't do much for me. On the other hand, a friend gifted me with Trader Joe's version of Thin Mints (which I don't like), and I couldn't stop eating them, they were so good. So maybe I'd like a Brookie from them. 🙂

• Love 2
On 11/15/2020 at 5:34 PM, iwantcookies said:

Trader Joe’s is a hit or miss. I bought plenty of things that I didn’t like.

Oh, yes. Their truffle porcini filled something or other pasta went into the trash after just smelling it...not even my retriever wouldn’t eat it. We had toast for dinner.

The best thing about brownies is that shiny, super thin crust on the top. All of the contestants’ attempts obliterated that part.

• Love 1
On 3/23/2021 at 12:36 AM, Oldernowiser said:

Oh, yes. Their truffle porcini filled something or other pasta went into the trash after just smelling it...not even my retriever wouldn’t eat it. We had toast for dinner.

Thank you for saving me money!  I have been tempted to buy that pasta and now I can spend the money on their caramelized onion dip instead.

• LOL 1
On 10/19/2020 at 4:43 PM, joanne3482 said:

I didn't realize it was baby. All these years I thought it was bibby (which I know makes no sense).  I also didn't realize what it really was.  And the song has been running through my head all weekend long. "When you rolling out the dough, just make sure you roll it slow, if you make the dough to quick, bibby (baby) babka make you sick, when you pour the filling in, just make sure you wear a grin, if you make the dough just right, bibby (baby?) babka turn out swell."

You are correct. It’s bibibabka—not baby. “When you smile on what you bake, bibibabka turn out swell.” But don’t forget that if you rush it like Larry did, “the bibi in the babka goes boom.”

• Love 1