Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E19: A Hollywood Scandal

• Start Topic

I like several of those people! I'm skeptical of how focused Nick Swardson is going to be. But I like seeing him there because it suggests that the fame requirements for "the funny one" might be low enough that people I like (Paul F. Tompkins) could sneak into an episode at some point.

• Love 1

Things I Came Away Thinking:

* Leah Remini needs to stay sober and hush. Seriously.

*Krysten Ritter is cute in braids. 

*Wynonna needs to expand her musical knowledge a bit more

* Poor Amy getting Clue-Boomed!  If you aren't used to it's sound and/or proximity, I can see getting super surprised hearing it in person.

*Despite his 'meltdown' at the end of Celebrity Name Game, Scott Foley seems like a genuinely nice dude with very pretty blue eyes. He even looked unsure if he should have been chosen, but then proceeded to kick the game's butt until he couldn't. (9 of 10 is still respectable, though.)

*The kid who did Wynonna's picture was pretty good; the one who did Tina Fey's  was not. It looked like a kid actor, not a grown-up, imo.

Funny line- Krysten Ritter (on the civilian choosing Scott Foley): "Yeah, go with the dad with two kids!" 

But truly, Leah needs to be on the No Fly List with Martin Short. Never stopped talking and nothing was ever fair. I might've sympathized on a point or two, but she was obnoxious all episode and I disliked that. I liked The Hand Massager and The Butt Nurse (TM Jane Lynch/her writers), so having Remini go on and on was not helpful.

It was an okay episode, I guess, but not one I need to rewatch.

• Love 4

I don't tend to like Krysten Ritter (for a stupid reason- she played one of Rory's Yale friends on Gilmore Girls and she always called her boyfriend 'Boyfriend' instead of his name and it annoyed me and totally ruined her for me but whatever...) but I LOVED how she was not having it with Leah. Her face while Jane was talking to Leah on the couch was hilarious. And she was pretty good at Lil Picasso.

(edited)

I don't tend to like Krysten Ritter...but I LOVED how she was not having it with Leah. Her face while Jane was talking to Leah on the couch was hilarious. And she was pretty good at Lil Picasso.

At one point Leah said something obnoxious and the camera showed Krysten miming being drunk and rolling her eyes at Leah. Not sure if this was the same time you're talking about since there were a few times it was obvious Krysten really didn't like her antics. That made the episode worth watching at least.

Edited by Nellise
  • Love 2

Pretty poor play tonight on most of the games, from most of the celebrities and the male contestant.

The director (producers? whoever) were really playing into Krysten's dislike for Leah Remini. Every time she would talk or do something annoying they would pan over to Krysten's unamused face.

The only games that stood out to me as anyone excelling at were the guess the picture and the final celebrity name game. It seemed that Scott realized the contestant did better with clues about the celebrity rather than about their roles. I haven't watched any of the shows he has been in, but seemed like a nice guy. I really wanted them to get all 10.

The guy in all the Adam Sandler movies was fun, even if he wasn't a great player. 

At one point Leah said something obnoxious and the camera showed Krysten miming being drunk and rolling her eyes at Leah. Not sure if this was the same time you're talking about since there were a few times it was obvious Krysten really didn't like her antics. That made the episode worth watching at least.

That was during the game where they were handcuffed, I think. She also yelled at Leah to calm down.

I was thinking when Jane said she worked on King of Queens and they panned to the other couch and Krysten was sitting with her chin in her hand and a look of disdain on her face.

(edited)

I don't know how useful it was, and heck, I don't even know if it was accurate, but I thought immediately knowing that John Goodman is from St. Louis was pretty impressive if true.

Edited by GaryE
  • Love 2

I think Scott Foley grew up in St Louis.

Also, shut up Leah. I actually really liked her on The Talk and was sad when she got booted from that show. She was completely obnoxious tonight.

(edited)

Ugh. I've never liked Leah Remini, so this ep reinforced my opinion.

I think everyone sometimes played well, mainly in Back to Back. I may be wrong, but it seems like everyone got at least one of their clues guessed correctly.

How Do You Doo was the worst. Egads. I wish we could know what songs Krysten kept passing on. I hesitate to be critical because, well, because I like her -- on both Breaking Bad and Don't Trust the B in Apt 23 -- but also because there are a lot of songs I don't know. 

I don't know why, but it seems like singers don't do as well at this game. I think you need to just get the notes out there without fancy vocal stuff.

During Clue Boom there was one time when it blew up right next to Scott Foley and made me jump.

In the final game, Scott got off to a bad start by saying something about Russell Crowe being a song. I know he is or was in a band, but of course that's not his claim to fame. But after that hiccup Scott did pretty good. I think he was smart to pass on John Goodman when Amy didn't get it from his clue, but then I think he got nervous. Did he pass or did Amy? In either case, passing was the right thing to do.

Edited by peeayebee

I can't believe Scott couldn't figure out : John Goodman, Kristen Wiig, Chris Rock, and Kathy Bates. There was simply no time for Sir Ian McKellen, so I don't count that.

What I couldn't believe was the insane/appalling amount of passing in 'How Do You Doo?'!! The songs weren't obscure, but I know I thought Wynonna could be decent on that game. Wow.

From this crew, I want to see Krysten, Wynonna, Johnny, and Scott. They were the most game and relatively normal. Krysten and Scott seemed most versatile, even when thrown.

What is it about Clue-Boom that makes folks forget that they have to pass the flipping bowl to the other person? These are folks who can memorize scripts/lyrics/skating programs/comedy routines. Why are they unable to remember half of the very simple rules? (I know- there's the adrenaline, but Rule 1- describe to team then Rule 2- pass the bowl quickly.)

That was not a great episode. I expected not to like Leah Remini, and she was even worse than I imagined. I felt sorry for Nick Swardson and Scott Foley having to sit next to that for the whole show. If you're going to be that annoying, you had better be really funny or really good at the games, and she was neither. I thought the first team had the worst round of How Do You Doo we'd ever see, then the second team went up and shattered that record. The bonus round was weird, since I never would have got about half of Scott's clues based on who people are married to, but they seemed to be the right clues for Amy.

• Love 2

The only positive thing I have ever said about Scientology, it made Leah not drink so it made herself a thousand times less obnoxious and she was pretty obnoxious when she was one.

• Love 1

Are Leah and Scott friends?  Because she was hanging all over him for the first half of the show, which I found odd, friends or not.  Or maybe she was just drunk and hanging on to something, and he was the closest thing.

Not a very fun episode.

(edited)

Johnny Weir is a walking/talking stereotype.He was dressed like a girl ? He had on wedges!!!!!!

Dh said that Leah Remini was clearly playing to the camera

Edited by Taylorh2

Man, I loved Leah on this. Of course, there were a few times when I was like shut up. But, damn, she was sloshed before the intros. It had me cracking up. I will remember this episode but I've already forgot what happened last week. I rather a contestant be too much than barely there. It makes for better television.

I will say that I hate watch the games where they are completely failing. I had to jump past How Do You Doo and the last ten seconds of the final round. I just can't watch it.

Scott Foley - These are the things you could have said bout Chris Rock. One of the most famous black comedians of all time. Had a show featuring his name on HBO. Was is Grown Ups 1 and 2. Had a sitcom that was based on his young life. He was on SNL. So many things. SO MANY Things. All you really need to do with the final round is say the biggest movies, t.v. shows or song the person has did. If it's polictical say what position they have. Damn. The final round should not be this hard to win.

I like Leah Remini, but she was just annoying last night.  Glad Kristyn called her out on it.  My favorite celebrities were Kristyn Ritter and Scott Foley.  I don't understand people wanting to go on the show if they're not into pop culture (Winona - I don't watch tv).

Also, with the handcuff game, a lot of it is speed and the male contestant's team of celebrities were kinda taking their time to get to the spot, so that's where he lost a lot of points because the female contestant already guessed the answer before his celebrity reached him.

• Love 2

I like Leah Remini, but she was just annoying last night.  Glad Kristyn called her out on it.  My favorite celebrities were Kristyn Ritter and Scott Foley.  I don't understand people wanting to go on the show if they're not into pop culture (Winona - I don't watch tv).

It's so they can actually be seen on t.v.

Are you allowed to go off the beaten path on names? Example : Chris Rock- Can I say "Last name is a a type of music, ____and roll" or "Last name is another word for stone", "Pilgrims landed on Plymouth ____". Stuff like that. 

Loved the look on Weir's face when he heard "Adam Sandler" as his Clue-boom topic. It was pretty much a "how the fuck am I expected to know anything about that" look?

Leah Remini was in Michael Weatherley territory, and that's NOT a good thing. Winnona was in contrast in Martha Stewart territory, and that's also (to quote Martha) NOT a good thing.

• Love 3
(edited)

In the final game, Scott got off to a bad start by saying something about Russell Crowe being a song. I know he is or was in a band, but of course that's not his claim to fame.

I thought he was going to say something about him being in Les Mis.

I'd like to see Johhny Weir back. He seemed calm and collected but maybe that's just because everyone else was so frantic.

Edited by Iboatedhere
  • Love 3

Scott really impressed me, between dealing with Leah's antics, Swardson's mugging and the over all general chaos, I thought he retained an air of dignity.  And boy is he limber!  Did you see him get on his knees  and lay down when he lost? 

Never saw Kristen before but she has a new fan thanks to her reactions to that awful Leah Remini.  I liked her much better as a Scientologist, should I start a letter writing campaign to get her reinstated?

• Love 2

Scott really impressed me, between dealing with Leah's antics, Swardson's mugging and the over all general chaos, I thought he retained an air of dignity.  And boy is he limber!  Did you see him get on his knees  and lay down when he lost? 

Never saw Kristen before but she has a new fan thanks to her reactions to that awful Leah Remini.  I liked her much better as a Scientologist, should I start a letter writing campaign to get her reinstated?

I let out an impressed "Damn!" when Foley did that yogic pose at the end of the episode. You go, Noel. You go.

My mom and I were debating if Leah was drunk or "drunk." Either way, she needed to STFU. I wasn't too keen on her vinyl pencil skirt and sweater set ensemble, either.

Are you allowed to go off the beaten path on names? Example : Chris Rock- Can I say "Last name is a a type of music, ____and roll" or "Last name is another word for stone", "Pilgrims landed on Plymouth ____". Stuff like that. 

I, too, have thought people should go that route sometimes. I assume it's allowed.

Never saw Kristen before but she has a new fan

You might want to check her out in Don't Trust the B. There's a marathon this Saturday on Logo. Yeah, I have no idea if I get that channel.

It seemed like Scott's first thought for absolutely everyone was "Who are they married to?" rather than "What are they known for?" It mostly worked, but it seems so weird to take Russell Crowe, who is an extremely famous movie star with two Oscars and kick things off with Meg Ryan.

• Love 1

There are certain actors who are most know for "Who are they married to or dating?", like Jennifer Aniston, Angelina Jolie, George Clooney.  And then there are actors who are known for their work (or roles) like Robert DeNiro, Sandra Bullock, Nicole Kidman.  Russell Crowe falls definitely in the latter category.  Australian actor in Gladiator would've nailed it for me.

You might want to check her out in Don't Trust the B. There's a marathon this Saturday on Logo. Yeah, I have no idea if I get that channel.

I do!  Thanks!

Sometimes as you make your way through life, there are things you know in your bones to be true -- things like "Leah Remini is a garbage person who would be intolerable to be around for a single minute" -- but, even though you know it as surely as you know Scott Foley was raised so midwesternly that he says "thank you so much" to every primetime game show prop assistant who hands him a cardboard block or pair of safety goggles, you resign yourself to the fact that you'll never actually obtain proof.

And then Leah Remini goes on Hollywood Game Night and provides all the proof you ever could have dreamed of.

• Love 5

Leah Remini is the worst. For the love of Xenu, shut up!

On the other hand, this is the first time ever I've enjoyed Scott Foley's presence.

Once again, sick of Clue-Boom. And I was just devastated that Scott couldn't come up with Tina Fey. *sigh* (also, terrible drawing, pre-teen!)

(edited)

just devastated that Scott couldn't come up with Tina Fey. *sigh* (also, terrible drawing, pre-teen!)

I'm also put out over how the final game for the big money played out.  They might have had that if the monkeys behind the scenes hadn't screwed up.

While Scott can't be totally dismissed of blame, I think the production monkey in particular who handled the video screen needs to have some blame.  Leah is a piece of garbage, but her hissing over how long it was taking to change names on that screen was actually right.  In fact, AFTER she started hissing and Scott passed AGAIN the screen went even slower.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

That was not a great episode. I expected not to like Leah Remini, and she was even worse than I imagined. I felt sorry for Nick Swardson and Scott Foley having to sit next to that for the whole show. If you're going to be that annoying, you had better be really funny or really good at the games, and she was neither. I thought the first team had the worst round of How Do You Doo we'd ever see, then the second team went up and shattered that record. The bonus round was weird, since I never would have got about half of Scott's clues based on who people are married to, but they seemed to be the right clues for Amy.

Yeah, you really got the sense Amy reads People magazine between colonoscopys.

"It seemed like Scott's first thought for absolutely everyone was "Who are they married to?" rather than "What are they known for?" "

I was thrilled when he went this route because when we first saw him on the couch, I turned to my husband and said "I want him to go to the finals and I want him to have to clue Jennifer Garner of Ben Affleck." It seems like he'd have given the clues I wanted in that situation.

I liked that show, and I think the best thing about it was Krysten Ritter. She was absolutely hysterical and fabulous. Such a great comedienne. I loved watching her performance.

• Love 2

Sometimes as you make your way through life, there are things you know in your bones to be true -- things like "Leah Remini is a garbage person who would be intolerable to be around for a single minute" -- but, even though you know it as surely as you know Scott Foley was raised so midwesternly that he says "thank you so much" to every primetime game show prop assistant who hands him a cardboard block or pair of safety goggles, you resign yourself to the fact that you'll never actually obtain proof.

And then Leah Remini goes on Hollywood Game Night and provides all the proof you ever could have dreamed of.

^Yes, absolutely everything about this! I did not find Leah's drunkenness entertaining. It was just the worst. I honestly think the producers should have taken a break in filming and given her an hour to sober up. 

Other than a couple of them (Russell Crowe and one other I can't remember) where he really hesitated, I thought Scott did really well. It's a shame Amy couldn't get Goodman or Rock from his clues; they were both fine and either one would have sealed the deal. It was nice to see how much Scott really cared. He did seem to be incredibly genuine.

I actually got "Rehab" from Nick right away, but otherwise, yeah, he was terrible. (I would have found him pretty obnoxious in general if not for Leah's ridiculous behavior distracting from him.) And the other team was for sure the worst we've ever seen at "How Do You Doo?" Wynonna, come on... ugh.

I do [get that channel]!  Thanks!

Boo, I don't. I saw them all, but ABC screwed with the order, and I'd like to see it as intended. It is on Netflix, too, and the order seems to be fixed!

Back on topic, I sometimes wonder what the non-picked-celebrities' charities would have been.

Do you all think Leah was really drunk or just exaggerating in order to be funny? I'm not sure. 

I think it's fine for people to drink on the show, but not if it impairs them to the extent that they're harming the contestant's chances of winning the game.

(edited)

Back on topic, I sometimes wonder what the non-picked-celebrities' charities would have been.

On every other celebrities-play-for-charity-money game show I ever remember seeing, each celebrity told the audience the name of their charity.  So, even if they didn't win any money, the charity got  free advertising.

Edited by needschocolate
  • Love 2

Interesting reactions to Remini's drunkenness! I usually find the drunk contestants deeply annoying myself, but something about her charmed me. I think it's because the drunks often feel very showy (Michael Weatherly) and impaired in their ability to play (...Michael Weatherly). Leah seemed INTO IT. Being drunk only made her MORE into it. I've been that person at game night. It didn't seem to me like it made her any worse at the game, it just made her louder and more belligerent of the other team. look at how well she did Take On Me! I'd much rather have her on my team than not-even-trying Wynonna Judd or Johnny Weir. Or Michael Weatherly.

Lord, what has the world come to when I'm writing a forum post defending Leah Remini on a Saturday morning? Who AM I?

• Love 2

It wasn't so much her game play that bothered me (although it wasn't great either; she kept saying she hadn't heard Jane's instructions) as much as the fact that she just wouldn't shut up. I think she was interrupting the flow of the show and gameplay quite a bit. A good example is when Nick Swardson, who is generally quite obnoxious himself, had to apologize for her and drag her back to her seat.

• Love 2

Leah Remini has a new reality series coming out, but I don't remember hearing her mention it. I could have blocked it from my mind, or just picked a great time to use the bathroom. 

I can't imagine anyone wanting to watch her reality show....

What I have learned from Hollywood Game Night: celebs are all about the gossip, apparently. If I were playing the final round with a friend and Russell Crowe came up, the furthest thing from my mind would be "slept with Meg Ryan." It'd be a list of his films, starting with Gladiator. Sheesh. 

I wonder what would happen if somebody, in a clue-giving panic, said something slanderous. Well, I'm sure it would never make it to air.

That said, I do love Scott. He was the only thing about this ep that I enjoyed.