Type keyword(s) to search

Claire.....wait, There’s a Justin?

Scarlett45
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, Heathen said:

People over 40 are irrelevant? Seriously?

I don't see anything wrong with people using their phones during a rehearsal. It's just a rehearsal -- not a funeral. 

I should not have used the word relevant, I meant trying to keep up with kids. I was going to say act cool, but that isn’t what kid’s would say either. I don’t even know current lingo! But I do know a Duggar lost girl flashing gang signs isn’t. Sorry if I offended anyone! I’m way over 40 so I should know how to express myself by now.

• Love 15
10 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

I should not have used the word relevant, I meant trying to keep up with kids. I was going to say act cool, but that isn’t what kid’s would say either. I don’t even know current lingo! But I do know a Duggar lost girl flashing gang signs isn’t. Sorry if I offended anyone! I’m way over 40 so I should know how to express myself by now.

No worries. I'm over 40 and knew what you meant and took no offense.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, awaken said:

What a shlumpy outfit for Claire to wear for her wedding rehearsal!  She usually looks so put together. The big shapeless brown shirt and denim skirt does her no favors. 

Plus, I would think that shirt style, tied with a little hole right at crotch level would fall in the classic "eye trap" category.

• Love 4
On 3/24/2021 at 2:13 PM, emma675 said:

In the second picture, Abbie does not look happy to be there. And there is a girl on the far left who is barefoot when no one else is. Yuck. 

I think Abbie is not happy having her picture taken.  Wonder how long she had  been standing there ... or who took the picture. 

• Love 4
On 3/28/2021 at 12:02 PM, BitterApple said:

I think Justin and Claire are ridiculously young and too immature to be married, but at least they look genuinely happy. The smiles reach their eyes. 

I agree.  I still can’t get over the fact that had he been born to another family, he would be starting the last quarter of his senior year in high school, ordering graduation announcements (not wedding invitations), thinking of prom if COVID allows it, and possibly looking forward to college, going into the service, traveling or whatever.  Just So young!

• Love 17
On 3/28/2021 at 1:02 PM, BitterApple said:

I think Justin and Claire are ridiculously young and too immature to be married, but at least they look genuinely happy. The smiles reach their eyes. 

12 minutes ago, Tigregirl said:

I agree.  I still can’t get over the fact that had he been born to another family, he would be starting the last quarter of his senior year in high school, ordering graduation announcements (not wedding invitations), thinking of prom if COVID allows it, and possibly looking forward to college, going into the service, traveling or whatever.  Just So young!

How long will they really have that much to smile about?

• Love 7
On 3/28/2021 at 10:41 AM, QuinnInND said:

And still no baby! 🤣🤣

Well, it's only been a month. I'm sure Claire is smart enough to know it takes nine months to have a baby. Most of her siblings are a lot younger than she is. She has lived with her mother while mom was pregnant. 

Yes it's possible she'll have a honeymoon baby like Jill, Joy, and Kendra, but it's possible she hasn't gotten pregnant yet and she may not care. She may know it sometimes takes a few months. Or my hope is her parents deliberately limited their family size, and they will encourage their kids to limit their family size. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Justin: "Happy 2 month Anniversary to my lovely --"

Hilaria: "OH MY GOSH has it been two months already?!?? JUSTIN we love you SO MUCH you are my SON and I just adore YOU!!!"

Justin: "It's been three months with my best frien----

Hilaria: "JUSTIN every day that we know you we LOVE YOU EVEN MORE if that's even possible!! LOL!  SO thankful for the day you came into our lives!!  We LOVE Y'ALL so much!!"

Justin: "I don't know how six months have flown by so fast but I just want to say to my wife --"

Hilaria: "SIX MONTHS, OH MY GOSH!!  It seems like just yesterday that I beamed with pride as you walked down the aisle looking SO VERY VERY HANDSOME and JUSTIN we all just love you SO MUCH but me most of all!!  You too, Claire."

Etc.

Truth.

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Well, it's only been a month. I'm sure Claire is smart enough to know it takes nine months to have a baby. Most of her siblings are a lot younger than she is. She has lived with her mother while mom was pregnant. 

Yes it's possible she'll have a honeymoon baby like Jill, Joy, and Kendra, but it's possible she hasn't gotten pregnant yet and she may not care. She may know it sometimes takes a few months. Or my hope is her parents deliberately limited their family size, and they will encourage their kids to limit their family size. 

I meant she's not pregnant yet. So many of these people do the honeymoon baby thing. They're so obsessed with babies. 

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

I meant she's not pregnant yet. So many of these people do the honeymoon baby thing. They're so obsessed with babies. 

We don't know if she's pregnant. All of the Duggars wait at least 2 months to announce* and most of the time they wait at least 3 months to announce. Claire has been married 1 month.  

*(By announce, I mean to the world and not their families.)

• Love 5
23 hours ago, thehorseofpower said:

I mean...they look happy and as though they genuinely like each other, but don't most young couples in the throes of first love feel that way? How will they feel in five or ten years when they've matured and possibly changed in a number of ways (not sure that the fundie culture is as conducive to growth and change as more mainstream young people experience, though, so who even knows), and have multiple kids in the mix? It would be nice if they weren't rushed into marriage and children and allowed to explore their feelings for each other without such high stakes. Them looking happy and in love at this stage just tells me they likely weren't a bizarre arranged marriage a la Jed! and Katey, which...yay? Maybe that's the best anyone will get in this culture.

I'm sure I've said this before, possibly multiple times...but the only good thing about this relationship is Hilaria bringing her special brand of crazy to the forefront.😁

I was thinking about this the other day, and I think your points about growth and change and fundie culture are spot on.

If these were my children, or my friends, or members of my community, I would encourage them to wait -- probably 10 years. In my world, people that age would be starting college; they would have part-time jobs; they would have the opportunity to meet LOTS of other people. It would be normal to expect that they would grow a LOT, and change a LOT over the course of the next ten years.

Justin and Claire literally have nothing to look forward to (except babies). They won't be going to school They won't have jobs. They won't make new friends. They won't be launching careers. They won't meet other potential mates -- and, if for some reason they did, they wouldn't be allowed to talk to them.

In ten years, they'll have half a dozen kids. They won't have read one book between them. They still won't have seen a movie or television show outside a very small prescribed list. Their lives will still be devoid of art, music, sports, and non-religious social interactions. Justin will still be "working" at some make-work "job" for his father or FIL. They'll be the exact same people -- except, perhaps, a little more tired and bored, and a little less giddy.

Edited by cmr2014
verb agreement matters
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, thehorseofpower said:

I mean...they look happy and as though they genuinely like each other, but don't most young couples in the throes of first love feel that way? How will they feel in five or ten years when they've matured and possibly changed in a number of ways (not sure that the fundie culture is as conducive to growth and change as more mainstream young people experience, though, so who even knows), and have multiple kids in the mix? It would be nice if they weren't rushed into marriage and children and allowed to explore their feelings for each other without such high stakes. Them looking happy and in love at this stage just tells me they likely weren't a bizarre arranged marriage a la Jed! and Katey, which...yay? Maybe that's the best anyone will get in this culture.

I'm sure I've said this before, possibly multiple times...but the only good thing about this relationship is Hilaria bringing her special brand of crazy to the forefront.😁

See miserable Jessa & Ben

Thats going to be them in 5 years/3 kids and counting 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

See miserable Jessa & Ben

Thats going to be them in 5 years/3 kids and counting 

I could be wrong, but I don't think that the cases are comparable.

Jessa was the first daughter to court, and I think she had sky-high expectations for herself as the "prettiest" daughter of the perfect Christian family. Ben was young and had a very idealized view of Jessa and the entire Duggar dog-and-pony show. He also had ambitions for school and a career. Both their expectations have been crushed, and they're blaming each other.

Justin and Claire grew up in the same world. I don't think either of them expects anything from life other than working for Daddy and making babies.

• Love 8
(edited)
36 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

Jessa was the first daughter to court, and I think she had sky-high expectations for herself as the "prettiest" daughter of the perfect Christian family. Ben was young and had a very idealized view of Jessa

I think if you switched the names it could be just as easily apply to Justin & Claire. Claire is the oldest daughter of a family that appears to be in good financial order and she has lived on a farm where people work and there are interesting things to do. Justin is very young and has been taught that the wife god picks out for him will fulfill all his desires.

It's going to be quite the shock when Claire realizes the Duggar's don't really work and the only acceptable activity is hanging out at the Big House. And Justin is going to have a major adjustment in 5 years when Claire is tired and frustrated from having to take care of 3-4 kids and a man-child husband and isn't happy being joyfully available at the drop of a hat.

Edited by Nysha
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, Nysha said:

I think if you switched the names it could be just as easily apply to Justin & Claire. Claire is the oldest daughter of a family that appears to be in good financial order and she has lived on a farm where people work and there are interesting things to do. Justin is very young and has been taught that the wife god picks out for him will fulfill all his desires.

It's going to be quite the shock when Claire realizes the Duggar's don't really work and the only acceptable activity is hanging out at the Big House. And Justin is going to have a major adjustment in 5 years when Claire is tired and frustrated from having to take care of 3-4 kids and a man-child husband and isn't happy being joyfully available at the drop of a hat.

That's interesting. I didn't know that about Claire's family. Do we know for sure that they'll be living in Arkansas? It would be nice for Justin to be able to live outside of the TTH environment. He might even find that he enjoys working more than hanging around the TTH all day doing nothing.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

That's interesting. I didn't know that about Claire's family. Do we know for sure that they'll be living in Arkansas? It would be nice for Justin to be able to live outside of the TTH environment. He might even find that he enjoys working more than hanging around the TTH all day doing nothing.

They are living in Texas. It is assumed that Justin works for Pa Spivey's construction business. It's about the only thing he's qualified to do.

• Useful 4
  • Love 6

I think Justin and the rest of the couples, were too young to marry, but I'm not sure they're all in for miserable lifetimes. This is what they know and this is what they plan for.

And from the outside looking in, other than Jessa, and maybe Jill, they all seem to be living full, fun, Fundy lives. And even something like Jessa's and Jill's lives, is what some mainstream folks want.

Most of us on here were born into an environment that encouraged education, career, travel and hobbies. Most of us have found those things fulfilling, inspiring and fun. And most of us feel accomplished, independent and are proud of setting and meeting these goals. But I'm guessing some on here also dreamed of being stay-at-home parents of a few kids. Some may wish they could be, but can't. Some may manage to balance family, work and fun, but some might find it hard. Some may have followed this mainstream path and are still struggling financially. And there's plenty of well educated folks, in money making careers, who are miserable. 

There's all kinds of picket fence dreams. What's unfortunate is these Fundy kids were really only exposed to one dream, one vision of what adult life could and should be. That is awful, but it doesn't mean their lives will be awful. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I think Justin and the rest of the couples, were too young to marry, but I'm not sure they're all in for miserable lifetimes. This is what they know and this is what they plan for.

And from the outside looking in, other than Jessa, and maybe Jill, they all seem to be living full, fun, Fundy lives. And even something like Jessa's and Jill's lives, is what some mainstream folks want.

Most of us on here were born into an environment that encouraged education, career, travel and hobbies. Most of us have found those things fulfilling, inspiring and fun. And most of us feel accomplished, independent and are proud of setting and meeting these goals. But I'm guessing some on here also dreamed of being stay-at-home parents of a few kids. Some may wish they could be, but can't. Some may manage to balance family, work and fun, but some might find it hard. Some may have followed this mainstream path and are still struggling financially. And there's plenty of well educated folks, in money making careers, who are miserable. 

There's all kinds of picket fence dreams. What's unfortunate is these Fundy kids were really only exposed to one dream, one vision of what adult life could and should be. That is awful, but it doesn't mean their lives will be awful. 

What's unfortunate is, if these Fundy kids find themselves dissatisfied, they may struggle to identify it, feel shame or failure to experience it, and have no ability or skills to provide for themselves if they ever reached the point of accepting the desire to make a change.

• Love 15
24 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

What's unfortunate is, if these Fundy kids find themselves dissatisfied, they may struggle to identify it, feel shame or failure to experience it, and have no ability or skills to provide for themselves if they ever reached the point of accepting the desire to make a change.

That's very sad and very true.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Slakkie said:

They look like a couple of high school kids who went to the prom.  I cannot imagine getting married that young without any life experience.  Its like playing house

Well JB and Mechelle did it and look how great they turned out 🤪

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Tikichick said:

Exactly. 

• Love 5