Type keyword(s) to search

MAFS Social Media, Spoilers & Speculation

• Start Topic

Maybe Amelia, as smart as she is, went on the show to make $$ to pay on student loans. How much do they earn?  Also are there any other benefits to being on the show?

I think she went on it for a lark. She had some down time between finishing medical school and starting residency and I think she just figured it would be a QUIRKY thing to do. Because she's QUIRKY.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

I'm gonna give Myrla a break regarding the party.  I think she was turned off by the raunchy stripper bachelorette party (I would be), but she might not have an issue with a regular party, like a birthday one.   I wouldn't be surprised if she wasn't there because she and Gil broke up though. 

• Love 4
Just now, Crashcourse said:

I'm gonna give Myrla a break regarding the party.  I think she was turned off by the raunchy stripper bachelorette party (I would be), but she might not have an issue with a regular party, like a birthday one.   I wouldn't be surprised if she wasn't there because she and Gil broke up though. 

I have to say Myrla's friends seemed hella cool.

Unless she just rented them for the show...there must be something there...

She does not seem like a nice person but why would you pair a woman who on the first second of meeting you says that money is important to a seemingly kind man with a respectable but not extravagant salary?

Poor Gil.

• Love 6

Ready for spoilers?

According to MafsFan, none of the five couples are together as of now. She isn't sure what actually happened on Decision Day itself, but she's pretty confident that they are all currently splitsville. What a bummer. It's kind of hard to invest in this season knowing that there aren't going to be any successes.

• Useful 1
14 minutes ago, gingerandcloves said:

Ready for spoilers?

According to MafsFan, none of the five couples are together as of now. She isn't sure what actually happened on Decision Day itself, but she's pretty confident that they are all currently splitsville. What a bummer. It's kind of hard to invest in this season knowing that there aren't going to be any successes.

That would make me sad. I have a few that I'm pulling for...

• Love 5
On 8/3/2021 at 12:32 PM, Elizzikra said:

I think she went on it for a lark. She had some down time between finishing medical school and starting residency and I think she just figured it would be a QUIRKY thing to do. Because she's QUIRKY.

She pretty much said that on the show.  Adding that if she ended up falling in love that would be even better 😄

2 hours ago, gingerandcloves said:

The "Coming up this season" preview at the end of the current episode didn't exactly inspire confidence in any of the relationships' longevity so I wouldn't be surprised.  From the looks of it, our predictions about Michaela being too much for Zach (and possibly anyone else for that matter) may come true.  Bao and Johnny smell like a setup to make for good TV.  They may have gone into this as friends with an agreement similar to one we suspected with Amelia and Bennett.  Myrla and Gil are an obvious train wreck already, so that's 3 out of 5 already.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, gingerandcloves said:

Ready for spoilers?

Wow, that sucks. I’m really on the fence about even watching now. Last season was such a long slog that with zero break between seasons MAFS fatigue has set in. Plus, if this is true, they are really regressing to seasons two - four levels of bad. I mean, that would mean they have one success and nine failures in the last two seasons. Time to change the name to Divorced in Two Months.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
47 minutes ago, cardigirl said:

Can we all just agree now that this show is just theater and nothing more?

*ducks tomatoes being thrown my way* 

No, no tomatoes.  I don't see how anyone could argue with you at this point.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, gingerandcloves said:

Did she give any explanation for why she's that confident about this?  I'm assuming she's basing this on some kind of inside info.  We already have some pretty convincing evidence in the form of Myrla's gown being up for sale but if she's basing Bao and Johnny being splitsville on his dating site profile showing up as active, we know how sites leave them up there even when you think you've taken them down.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, cardigirl said:

You are 100% correct. It's sad really because some of these people could be successful with someone if they actually tried to find a legitimate match for them.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Did she give any explanation for why she's that confident about this?  I'm assuming she's basing this on some kind of inside info.  We already have some pretty convincing evidence in the form of Myrla's gown being up for sale but if she's basing Bao and Johnny being splitsville on his dating site profile showing up as active, we know how sites leave them up there even when you think you've taken them down.

She didn't say why, but she did say she is very confident about the current situation.

Also, she said that on Decision Day, Brett and Ryan said divorce (and are not together now); Zack and Michaela actually decided to stay married (but are now separated).

• Useful 2
2 hours ago, gingerandcloves said:

She didn't say why, but she did say she is very confident about the current situation.

Also, she said that on Decision Day, Brett and Ryan said divorce (and are not together now); Zack and Michaela actually decided to stay married (but are now separated).

That's too bad.  I was down on every match this time from the kickoff episode except for Bao and Johnny, so hearing that they might not make it hurts, although I did start to suspect that they weren't a real match anyway.  I'd like to be proven wrong about all of them not making it, though.  I read MAFSfan said the same thing.

Screen-Shot-2021-08-05-at-10.53.04-AM.jp

On 8/5/2021 at 1:46 PM, Yeah No said:

That's too bad.  I was down on every match this time from the kickoff episode except for Bao and Johnny, so hearing that they might not make it hurts, although I did start to suspect that they weren't a real match anyway.  I'd like to be proven wrong about all of them not making it, though.  I read MAFSfan said the same thing.

I like the idea of B&J and the story but I think J is a player and while B may have had a crush on him, she sensibly side lined him irl and on the dating site she used. 

• Love 3

I think it is not so much the "experts" i think there is  a group of bosses that over ride matches that could work. I only say this cuz I can't see all of us (here) to be seemingly better at knowing a bad match than the "experts". I think they are instructed to make matches dramatic and explain it is workable cuz the 'contestants" a balance each other.

There is something to a balancing act. My late husband and I were better together in some ways ,  for example my impulsivity vs his cautiousness, but it is ridiculous to think pet lovers could work out with partners that are either not pet lovers are worse still allergic.

Homebodies vs travelers, spendthrifts are not bad people but when they are "matched" with someone so noble as a fireman do-gooder, it becomes silly and the outcome is predictable.

Predictable is not drama.

The example of pet lovers vs. allergic is drastic but pastor cal and them rationalize crazy opposite characteristics in the name of balancing out, when I believe it is for the sake of manufactured drama. 

Is it that the powers-that-be think  we want chaos over real possibilities of good matches?

Go ahead and throw in a few mismatched but stop with pitting couple that we all know can't work. I would really like to know if viewership would wane if we had more successful pairings.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, geej said:

I think it is not so much the "experts" i think there is  a group of bosses that over ride matches that could work. I only say this cuz I can't see all of us (here) to be seemingly better at knowing a bad match than the "experts". I think they are instructed to make matches dramatic and explain it is workable cuz the 'contestants" a balance each other.

I have been saying that for years now about this show, that "TPTB" or production are the ones that make the matching decisions, and not all of them are made to work out.  Some are made purposely to fail spectacularly and the "experts" are left with making weak excuses for putting them together.  In some cases it is very obvious because their excuses don't even pass the plausibility test.  It is true that research has shown that couples usually work best with a mix of similar and dissimilar matching points, but a lot of these cases are obviously way over the line into dissimilar or even overtly clashing, which means a match that is almost for certain doomed to fail.  And of course we know that's no mistake either.

4 hours ago, geej said:

Is it that the powers-that-be think  we want chaos over real possibilities of good matches?

Go ahead and throw in a few mismatched but stop with pitting couple that we all know can't work. I would really like to know if viewership would wane if we had more successful pairings.

Maybe they're looking for a balance of couples chosen for drama and couples chosen to succeed, but it looks at times like they aren't even doing that and instead are aiming for only one or two success stories if that.  I think that's one of the reasons why they increased the number of couples - to throw in a few more high drama mismatches, but these days it looks like the high drama mismatches are taking over the whole show.  Of course the New Orleans season was an exception for some reason but with that as an example I don't think viewership would wane if there were more successful pairings.  I just think they need to revise how they edit the shows and what they film so as not to make the more successful couples seem boring or ridiculous with manufactured "drama".  Some of the non-wacko people are actually pretty interesting but the show is making them look about as boring as can be.

• Love 5

To me it doesn't matter whether the "experts" actually make the matches or not.  It's that they present themselves as making the matches and being "experts."  They all have professional reputations in other fields that they are willing to put on the line in order to be on t.v. and attain a level of economic and media benefit.  So, whether they have any part in the matchmaking or not, I will always assign the credit/blame to them as that is what they are presenting.  I often wonder what the price is that people are willing to sell their reputation and dignity.  I guess we find at least one answer with this show.

• Love 14
13 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

To me it doesn't matter whether the "experts" actually make the matches or not.  It's that they present themselves as making the matches and being "experts."  They all have professional reputations in other fields that they are willing to put on the line in order to be on t.v. and attain a level of economic and media benefit.  So, whether they have any part in the matchmaking or not, I will always assign the credit/blame to them as that is what they are presenting.  I often wonder what the price is that people are willing to sell their reputation and dignity.  I guess we find at least one answer with this show.

It doesn't matter to me either, but I think they should just stop with aiming for so much drama and concentrate on making some real matches.  It's obvious to everyone at this point that they intentionally match some of these people to fail.  I think they often go over the line into pissing off the audience and I don't agree with them that ratings would necessarily fail without intentional train wrecks.  On the other hand it looks like they're now putting people together that already knew each other as fake success stories such as Bennett and Amelia and now possibly Bao and Johnny.  Not sure I'm loving that either.

• Love 5
On 8/5/2021 at 9:33 AM, cardigirl said:

Not sure why you'd think tomatoes would be thrown. Posts skewing towards the show having jumped the shark have been dominant for a while now. I gave up on the show after the season before last because I think most are setups to fail or friends, as others have said and keep up with the happenings here. This place is much more fun and I don't have to sit through dress fittings and the same fake conversations over and over.

When we are presented with couples that anyone with half a brain can see by episode 2-3 that they are not going to work, it becomes very clear that those behind the show are only interested in the highest type of drama. But it's not drama if it's obvious out of the gate that they're not a match and people realize that they don't have to watch to find out. A poster above mentioned that predictabiliy is not drama. That's spot on.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, configdotsys said:

Not sure why you'd think tomatoes would be thrown

Bad theater back in the day the audience would throw rotten tomatoes at the actors, I guess other messy rotten fruits and vegetables would be thrown too...I have been tempted to throw a few tomatoes but did not want to mess up my TV, lol.

Side note, I would throw a tomato at every actor in every Hallmark movie if I could, MAFS is no Hallmark movie nor hallmark in anyway but the acting is just as bad.

@CARDIGIRL I would never hurl a tomato at you.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Bad theater back in the day the audience would throw rotten tomatoes at the actors, I guess other messy rotten fruits and vegetables would be thrown too...I have been tempted to throw a few tomatoes but did not want to mess up my TV, lol.

Side note, I would throw a tomato at every actor in every Hallmark movie if I could, MAFS is no Hallmark movie nor hallmark in anyway but the acting is just as bad.

I know about the tomato throwing from the past. It just sounded like the poster felt that tomatoes would be thrown at them for having an opinion contrary to most others, which as far as I could see, was not the case.

I'd guess that if someone came in and posted how realistic this show is and how incredibly beautiful all the couples are in their sincerity of seeking a spouse for life, they would be the ones that would likely have to duck!

• LOL 7
4 hours ago, configdotsys said:

Not sure why you'd think tomatoes would be thrown. Posts skewing towards the show having jumped the shark have been dominant for a while now. I gave up on the show after the season before last because I think most are setups to fail or friends, as others have said and keep up with the happenings here. This place is much more fun and I don't have to sit through dress fittings and the same fake conversations over and over.

When we are presented with couples that anyone with half a brain can see by episode 2-3 that they are not going to work, it becomes very clear that those behind the show are only interested in the highest type of drama. But it's not drama if it's obvious out of the gate that they're not a match and people realize that they don't have to watch to find out. A poster above mentioned that predictabiliy is not drama. That's spot on.

4 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

3 hours ago, configdotsys said:

I know about the tomato throwing from the past. It just sounded like the poster felt that tomatoes would be thrown at them for having an opinion contrary to most others, which as far as I could see, was not the case.

I'd guess that if someone came in and posted how realistic this show is and how incredibly beautiful all the couples are in their sincerity of seeking a spouse for life, they would be the ones that would likely have to duck!

Maybe after the season with Chris and Virginia et al, more people are convinced that this show is more theater than anything else, but I seem to remember a number of people disagreeing with me about it during the New Orleans season, and when anyone tried to defend poor Brett, well, it was tomato city!  😝  I felt that when Kevin Fraser had all of the participants go around the room and call him a name on television, that the show was done then.

As we've seen, even the "most truest purest love" from that season is not really working out long term,.  (Amelia and Bennett.) 

I dunno, maybe it was always theater, but I kind of liked it when I thought that some of the couples were really looking to be matched up. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, cardigirl said:

I seem to remember a number of people disagreeing with me about it during the New Orleans season, and when anyone tried to defend poor Brett, well, it was tomato city!  😝  I felt that when Kevin Fraser had all of the participants go around the room and call him a name on television, that the show was done then.

As we've seen, even the "most truest purest love" from that season is not really working out long term,.  (Amelia and Bennett.) 

@cardigirl I was team Brett all the way! And Kevin lost me when he made Michael answer for all of Brandon's misdeeds and harassed him when he refused to answer. Every season since he's been an asshole to at least one guy. The next season Brett was his punching bag, and this last season it was Jake. I loathe Kevin at this point. What an asshole.

And I think we all know the real "truest purest love" from NO was Amani and Woody, not Amelia and Bennett ;-p

• Love 10
14 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

And Kevin lost me when he made Michael answer for all of Brandon's misdeeds and harassed him when he refused to answer. Every season since he's been an asshole to at least one guy. The next season Brett was his punching bag, and this last season it was Jake. I loathe Kevin at this point. What an asshole.

Yes, he is an asshole.  I remember when he harassed Michael about Brandon and that's when I started loathing him.   

• Love 4
2 hours ago, cardigirl said:

I dunno, maybe it was always theater, but I kind of liked it when I thought that some of the couples were really looking to be matched up. 

My theory, which I know I've posted before, is that some of the matches are intentionally made just for drama and some are genuinely made to succeed between people that really want to be matched up.  That was the case for most of this show's run until last season with Amelia and Bennett, who had already met and seemed maybe a little too perfect for each other, then stayed together on decision day, then quietly divorced some time later.  And now Bao and Johnny seem suspiciously in that same category.  So now the seasons seem to be made up of "perfect" matches that already met and stay together on decision day, then divorce quietly some time later, and matches made to fail for drama, some spectacularly and all too predictably.  

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

My theory, which I know I've posted before, is that some of the matches are intentionally made just for drama and some are genuinely made to succeed between people that really want to be matched up.  That was the case for most of this show's run until last season with Amelia and Bennett, who had already met and seemed maybe a little too perfect for each other, then stayed together on decision day, then quietly divorced some time later.  And now Bao and Johnny seem suspiciously in that same category.  So now the seasons seem to be made up of "perfect" matches that already met and stay together on decision day, then divorce quietly some time later, and matches made to fail for drama, some spectacularly and all too predictably.  

So is it official that Amelia and Bennett have divorced or is it still speculation?

Sorry if I missed something.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Ilovepie said:

@cardigirl I was team Brett all the way! And Kevin lost me when he made Michael answer for all of Brandon's misdeeds and harassed him when he refused to answer. Every season since he's been an asshole to at least one guy. The next season Brett was his punching bag, and this last season it was Jake. I loathe Kevin at this point. What an asshole.

And I think we all know the real "truest purest love" from NO was Amani and Woody, not Amelia and Bennett ;-p

I tease my sister that Woody and Amani are in it for the money.  *evil cackle* 

She cries.  😆 I'm mostly joking, because, individually I think they're okay, but their Instagrams are just nothing but fashion, well, his is. 

And they did kind of know each other too, or had met before the show. 

Edited by cardigirl
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, cardigirl said:

I tease my sister that Woody and Amani are in it for the money.  *evil cackle* 

She cries.  😆 I'm mostly joking, because, individually I think they're okay, but their Instagrams are just nothing but fashion, well, his is. 

And they did kind of know each other too, or had met before the show. 

Whhhaaaattt???? I hadn't heard that they knew each other! Their IG is pretty fashion based. But Woody was really into clothes when he was on the show, so that doesn't surprise me that much. I just assumed it's because they are living their fabulous best lives - it doesn't seem like they are trying to monetize it (yet). ;-0

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

it doesn't seem like they are trying to monetize it (yet). ;-0

Greg and Deonna are my favorite MAFS couple b/c they seem more "normal." But, I enjoy Woody and Amani, too. They mentioned meeting each other on their YouTube channel. They advertised an opportunity to vacation with them in Jamaica, too. I'm not sure if they are attempting to monetize their success. But, I'd be okay with if they did since MAFS certainly benefitted from this match. 

• Love 6

I was Team Brett too. He was too sarcastic on occasion but I still liked him way more than Olivia. I follow him on IG and he has a cute girlfriend that he's been with for quite a while now, and they seem very happy. I agree they should not pick on one person at the reunions, especially if they're not there to defend themselves. 

Bennett and Amelia's divorce has not been officially confirmed yet.

• Love 6

I just read that Virginia and Erik filed for divorce . I didn’t know that , but can’t say I’m surprised . 

in their separation post , they said that though they are going to get a divorce , they are hopeful that they may have a future together .. huh ? Lol 

Edited by Jax7917
22 hours ago, Rae Spellman said:

But, I enjoy Woody and Amani, too. They mentioned meeting each other on their YouTube channel. They advertised an opportunity to vacation with them in Jamaica, too. I'm not sure if they are attempting to monetize their success. But, I'd be okay with if they did since MAFS certainly benefitted from this match. 

I think this Jamaica thing is tacky and sad. 

• Love 3