Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Adjournment

• Start Topic

On 12/22/2020 at 5:26 AM, chaifan said:

While you were doing clothing math, I was doing hair math...  First, like someone already said, her hair seemed to grow 2 inches between NY and Paris.  But more than that, it appeared she was late for the tournament when the hotel guy knocked on her door, but she had time to fully dry and curl her hair despite being in a huge hurry.   So, was that a wakeup call, or had the tournament start time already passed and she still hadn't shown up yet?  If that's the case, what's the rule?  Does her clock start ticking like it did for the guy at the Kentucky State tournament?  I'm confused...

Eyeliner...  the show's hair & makeup designer explained the below the lid eyeliner was purposely bad, but she was trying to channel Venus' lead singer, Mariska Veres (not Twiggy).  https://www.marieclaire.com/beauty/a34484644/the-queens-gambit-beauty/   Warning:  Stop reading after the eyeliner part, because afterwards they start discussing her look in Ep. 7.  I stopped, so I don't know if there are any real spoilers in that part of the article.  While I get what they were going for, I think it's interesting that she was able to do full makeup, including eyelashes, flawlessly after her night drinking with Clio. 

I like both sides of the argument as to whether Clio was a Russian plant or not.  I personally think no, and I think if they really wanted us to believe she was, she would have come in and sat down next to the Russian's wife and child.  Or maybe that would be too obvious.  (It is what I was expecting, and true to form, the show never does what I'm expecting.)

I loved the Extreme Home Makeover 1960's Edition.  Those pink patterned wallpapers!  OK, I could go for an accent wall in one of them, but that's a whole hella lotta pattern going on in that house!   (Did anyone else notice Beth took both wallpapers straight from the store display?)  Loved all the mod furniture.  The show's prop master must have had a blast doing those rooms.   I figure at least a month or more had to pass between Beth getting back to KY from Paris and the high school tournament, just based on how much time it would have taken to have all that done.   I'm pretty sure she redid the entire kitchen, too.  

I was also doing money math during the house buying/makeover montage...  $7,000 to buy Mr. Whitley's equity, but she'd still have the mortgage after that.  Based on this site, http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/60sfurniture.html , let's say all the new furniture and re-design cost at least $1,000-$2,000.  There were about a dozen trophies on the piano, and we know she got $500 from the Cincinnati tournament.  Assuming she's playing bigger tournaments, that's $5,000 - $10,000 in award money, but that's over the past few years.  So still trying to figure out where she's getting enough money to pay for this, plus her fab wardrobe, plus all the booze. 

Finally, I'm so glad to see Jolene is back! 

I can't believe we get only one more episode. 

This! There are lot of this kind od stuff on this show. What bugs me the most is that you never know how much time actually passed, therefore you never know what actually age Beth is. And I mean her legal age and not her real age.  The way she acts and the way other treat her it seems she's on her 'legal' mid twenties. The only teenage behavior she shows is her impulsivity and the 'I know better and then everyone' attitude. But the actress definitely does not look like a teenager. Which also botheres me.

I didn't get the feeling Cleo was a Russian plant, because her behavior seemed consistent with her simply being a free spirit.  In fact, viewing through a 2020s lens, I was half expecting Beth and Cleo to have sex.

It's interesting to see how they've evolved her look throughout the series, and the disdain she has for the men who become enamored of her.  I had no idea she was still stuck on Townes, however.

• Love 1
On 2/5/2021 at 2:02 PM, rmontro said:

I didn't get the feeling Cleo was a Russian plant, because her behavior seemed consistent with her simply being a free spirit.  In fact, viewing through a 2020s lens, I was half expecting Beth and Cleo to have sex.

It's interesting to see how they've evolved her look throughout the series, and the disdain she has for the men who become enamored of her.  I had no idea she was still stuck on Townes, however.

I expected Beth and Cleo to have sex too.  Cleo asked Beth if she'd ever been in love, and she said, yes, with Townes.

• Love 1
On 12/21/2020 at 11:26 PM, chaifan said:

Eyeliner...  the show's hair & makeup designer explained the below the lid eyeliner was purposely bad, but she was trying to channel Venus' lead singer, Mariska Veres (not Twiggy). 

Glad to have that clarifies since even I wasn't sure if it was just from a modern viewpoint or if her makeup was really bad because she was wasted. Because no one on Mad Men ever had eye makeup like that.

And even though it is gross it is good to see some of the bad effects of all the drinking (the puking and the passing out). Since in it has seemed like Beth has been way too good at putting away large volumes of booze with almost no effect on her. Especially considering she is a relatively tiny woman.