Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Exchanges

• Start Topic

On 12/18/2020 at 2:10 PM, chocolatine said:
On 11/12/2020 at 12:20 PM, MoreCoffeePlease said:

Loved her takedown of the chess-dude who was late to the match. He said "I can work my way out of this ..." and Beth said, "Maybe you could if you had gotten here on time." 

That didn't really work for me since I'm pretty sure players are not supposed to talk during a match (other then to say "check," "mate," "draw," etc.) The impact of that scene - Beth beating the highest rated player and winning the tournament - would have been meaningful enough without the talking.

It didn't work for me because getting there on time would not have made any difference. I think the turn of phrase from that era would have been: "Serves you right for keeping me waiting."
But that wouldn't have made much sense to today's audience. 

Spoiler

The arrogant player showing up late is nice foreshadowing for the scene shown as a flashforward at the beginning of the series (of Beth arriving late). 
Even though it is shown as a flashback before this episode, I'm spoiler tagging because the result of the flashforward isn't entirely revealed until the penultimate episode.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1
On 12/18/2020 at 5:21 PM, shapeshifter said:

It didn't work for me because getting there on time would not have made any difference.

But the implication was that it *would* have made a difference - there was a way for him to get out of his mess, but he didn't have enough time left on his clock to think it through.  His clock was started at the time the match was scheduled to start, and continued running until he arrived and made his move.  Beth's clock was not ticking; she still had her full time to play the match.  He thought he didn't have to worry about  beating her, arrived late, and ran out of time to figure out how to win.  His arrogance and tardiness cost him the match.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
On 12/29/2020 at 2:49 PM, lasu said:

But the implication was that it *would* have made a difference - there was a way for him to get out of his mess, but he didn't have enough time left on his clock to think it through. 

I think that was an important point. She still may have won anyway, but it still pointed out that he was a formidable opponent she shouldn't underestimate. So maybe that's some foreshadowing.

• Love 1
On 12/2/2020 at 11:51 AM, shapeshifter said:

appreciated the glimpse of the Hot Stuff comic book in the store.  

Not sure what Hot Stuff is but those Avengers comics on the rack at the drug store looked way too modern for the early 1960's.