Type keyword(s) to search

Restoring Galveston - General Discussion

• Start Topic

About The Show  (formerly Big TX Flip)

DIY - Mon 8pm CT

Ashley and Michael Cordray own a real estate and renovation company that specializes in restoring homes from the late 19th and early 20th centuries. They're working with homes near the brink of destruction in their hometown of Galveston Island, TX, with hopes of preserving the island's history and architectural styles.

I really like the couple/show.

It's also nice seeing different architecture

Not sure  what will happen to the show once  DIY flips to the Magnolia Network

• Love 3

Great that there is a topic for this show! I also really like the couple, and the houses they restore are gorgeous. I really enjoy how sympathetic they are to the history of the houses and how they care about period details.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, rcc said:

Love this show. The couple is fun to watch and their renovations are beautiful. That said not a fan of Ashley's bathroom floor in the newest episode.

I've been a fan since I stumbled across it as Big Texas Fix early in its first season.

But. That floor. Just, no. When Ashley was sitting on the floor with her great idea to tear out and replace a sh*t ton of little tiles to spell out words, Michael was shaking his head and not in agreement. But, he let her do it and he probably helped. I kind of liked him for that; she was in late pregnancy and I suspect he didn't want to stress her out by digging in and opposing her "great idea." 

If I bought that house the first thing I'd do is rip out those stupid bathroom floor words, as I think someone said on the house flipping topic.

• Love 5

The worst thing about the bathroom floor is that the words weren't freaking centered in the room! They were squished off to the right and would be partially covered up by a bath mat, anyway. But I love Ashley and the way she adds extra touches like the stenciled kitchen runner and the copper stair risers from last season. Sometimes her ideas make me squinch up my face a bit, but I appreciate her exuberance and hard work.

She and Michael are fun to watch even when she's have a mini pregnancy breakdown, and I love how sweet he is to her.  I'm very happy for them, especially when Ashley said they'd been trying to have a baby for five years.

• Love 4

This is a cool show - I love how Michael and Ashley work so productively together, with minimal drama, to take these crumbling, falling-down eyesores and restore them to vintage-style beauty (along with the necessary modern updates, of course).  I don't always like all of the design choices, but overall I think they do a magnificent job, and they really get their hands dirty making it happen.  

I do have a couple of small quibbles, however - I don't see them putting in HVAC units, at least not in the episodes I've caught so far.  Doesn't Galveston get pretty hot and humid?  I know beachside towns usually stay relatively cool year-around, but still - it's Texas.  And the last episode I caught, they were talking about how bitterly cold it was in one scene, so heat is needed!  Maybe they just don't bother filming that part of the re-do.

Also, I do find Ashley's voice a little grating.  She doesn't do the vocal fry thing - thank God - but she has a rather flat, hard tone that's a bit off-putting at times.  

Having said all that, I'm a BIG fan.  I hope they have great success going forward with their work in bringing these homes back to glorious life.

• Love 3

Ashley's a loud talker for sure. Part of her charm. ☺️

I'm sure being on the show means they need to buy more homes at once than they normally would, but the most recent flip in that "up and coming" neighborhood was probably not the best financial decision. It was right next to that shifty looking cement block building, and that's only what they showed us.

The house turned out beautifully, as always, but my guess is that they didn't make anywhere near their $15K profit guesstimate.  The saying isn't bad location, bad location, bed location.

• Love 3

When Ashley told Michael he's never used a bobcat before, and he said he watched some videos on the internet, I totally cracked up. That's exactly what my husband would say. And he'd like nothing better than an excuse to use a bobcat.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

So glad this amazing show got its own thread! It's my favorite show on DIY/HGTV.

Re the bathroom floor in last week's episode: I wonder if they knew it was going to be sold to a vacation rental company. While it would be awful to see the words every day, it's an interesting thing in a vacation rental. It's important to have something that will make the listing stand out in a crowd.

Re the HVAC: I follow Ashley and Michael on Instagram and they are remarkably honest about how these shows are filmed and what is fake and what isn't. (They even posted a pic when they made her put on a fake baby bump so they they could film some of the commentary scenes after the baby was born. LOL) Since the show (like all the DIY and HGTV shows) are filmed on a tight timeline, there isn't enough time to really fix everything in the houses. All the houses are done simultaneously in a couple months. So they do the main rooms and then film a fake open house. HVAC and plumbing are on the list that don't get done. After the film crew has left, they return to the houses, rip out quite a bit of stuff, add HVAC etc, renovate the rest of the rooms and then put the houses on the market one after another. That honest, no nonsense approach is one of the many reasons I love the show so much.

Re the selling price of the Yellow Victorian: on their listings page, the house is pending for a sale price of $299,000 and they just posted it got sold to someone who appreciates it just as much as they do. No mention for how much. The obvious love they have for these old homes and them not making all their decision based on what sells for the most money, appealing to the largest buyer pool possible and not going for the cheap and easy approach is amazing. These houses deserve to get the historical details back.

Only three more episodes left. I really hope they get a third season. That stupid Magnolia channel replacing DIY is really pissing me off. The shiplap and cupcake emporium isn't my kind of thing at all.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

In contrast to the bathroom floor disaster, the little flower details on the hexagon tile counter were really cute (but although I understand and appreciate that they recreated this period detail, I'm not awfully excited by a tile kitchen counter, especially with a tile so small and so much grout lines to clean! 😉)

• Love 6
On 9/29/2020 at 5:32 PM, mousegirl said:

Also, I do find Ashley's voice a little grating.  She doesn't do the vocal fry thing - thank God - but she has a rather flat, hard tone that's a bit off-putting at times.  

Ashley's originally from MI

It's a 'short A' 

https://beltmag.com/whats-in-a-vowel-in-search-of-the-disappearing-short-a-rising/

From Wiki

Inland Northern (American) English,[1] also known in American linguistics as the Inland North or Great Lakes dialect,[2] is an American English dialect spoken primarily by White Americans in a geographic band reaching from Central New York westward along the Erie Canal, through much of the U.S. Great Lakes region, to eastern Iowa. The most innovative Inland Northern accents are spoken in Chicago, Milwaukee, Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse.[3] A geographic corridor reaching from Chicago southwest along historic Route 66 into St. Louis, Missouri, has also been infiltrated by features of the Inland Northern accent, with the corridor today showing a mixture of both Inland Northern and Midland accents.[4] Linguists often characterize the western Great Lakes region's dialect as the separate North-Central American English.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inland_Northern_American_English

I DVR'd it, and just now watched the new episode where they rehab an old commercial building and open an ice cream/sandwich shop. 

I understand that what we see on the show is made for TV and doesn't reflect everything that really goes into rehabbing properties. However, I watched carefully, and I saw NO entrance to that store that is ADA compliant. There's a big flight of steps up to the front double doors - but not a hint of a ramp or any way that is accessible to someone in a wheelchair or with mobility impairments. There is also a large back patio with an entrance into the store. So I thought, well, maybe they made a ramp entrance back there. Nope. Not a sign of a ramp. 

That store is a public accommodation. I hope they really did make it accessible as required by law. If they haven't, they are sitting ducks for a lawsuit. TBH I was absolutely uninterested in all their cute little vintage touches; all I could think about was how they could be so oblivious to a major fact of life for anyone creating a public business space like that.

I think that because the building is a Texas Historic Landmark they are probably exempt from ADA. They were told they couldn't remove the old phone system used in WWII (?) because it was part of the historic landmark. If the original building had steps, then this bui8lding can have steps and not be ADA compliant because it is an official Texas Historic Landmark. I live near Annapolis, MD and there are blocks and blocks of homes and businesses that are in the Historic District, and any changes have to be approved by the governing board. There are lots of businesses in downtown Annapolis that are not ADA compliant, even if they were renovated after ADA laws came into being.

14 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I think that because the building is a Texas Historic Landmark they are probably exempt from ADA. They were told they couldn't remove the old phone system used in WWII (?) because it was part of the historic landmark. If the original building had steps, then this bui8lding can have steps and not be ADA compliant because it is an official Texas Historic Landmark. I live near Annapolis, MD and there are blocks and blocks of homes and businesses that are in the Historic District, and any changes have to be approved by the governing board. There are lots of businesses in downtown Annapolis that are not ADA compliant, even if they were renovated after ADA laws came into being.

I'm not sure the building is an historic landmark. I thought the city staffer they were talking to on the phone, said the concrete phone box on the sidewalk was protected as an historic thing so they couldn't remove it. I don't recall them saying anything about the building itself. Surely if they were renovating a designated historic building, they would have had to get approvals for all that exterior work including replacing windows and painting. Hard to believe they wouldn't have featured some of that on the episode, but there was nothing about that. There was a plaque at the location (elsewhere in town) of the old Cordray Drugstore, but I didn't see anything like that on the building they renovated.

Also, historic buildings, including those designated officially as historic landmarks, are not exempt from ADA accessibility requirements. If at all possible they must incorporate accessible features; however it may not be possible for some buildings to comply with all the requirements such as removing entrance steps, etc., and exemptions can be granted. In the case of the new ice cream parlor, it looked like they had a lot of space to work with in the back, to create a pleasant and fully accessible entrance to the building. I like the Cordrays and I hope they jumped through all the legal hoops with their ice cream parlor. 

47 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Considering they had to get bu8ilding permits not only for the drug store but any renovation, I would think permits would not be issued that didn't meet whatever standards are required.

It's entirely possible for a business to get permits and certificates of occupancy from the city building department and yet to not meet the federal ADA regulations. The ADA regulations are federal standards and specifications for accessibility.  While it would be an ideal world where all these issues could be dealt with at once, here's the reality, as stated in one section of the page I've linked to:

[The US Dept of Justice's and Dept of Transportation's] ADA Standards are not a building code, nor are they enforced like one. They constitute design and construction requirements issued under a civil rights law. The ADA’s mandates, including the accessibility standards, are enforced through investigations of complaints filed with federal agencies, or through litigation brought by private individuals or the federal government. There is no plan review or permitting process under the ADA. Nor are building departments required or authorized by the ADA to enforce the ADA Standards (some building departments even include a disclaimer on their plan checks indicating that ADA compliance is not part of their approval process). Entities covered by the law ultimately are responsible for ensuring compliance with the ADA Standards in new construction and alterations.

As I said, It would certainly be simpler if the ADA specs got written into local building codes, but I suppose it's a federal vs. state/local jurisdiction thing, and never the twain shall meet. Sigh.

ETA: Savvy builders/renovators can hire architects who are knowledgeable about the ADA specs/regs, to review their plans and advise them on compliance, before they make an expensive mistake.

Edited by Jeeves
7 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

It's entirely possible for a business to get permits and certificates of occupancy from the city building department and yet to not meet the federal ADA regulations.

Then why did you state this in an earlier post?

That store is a public accommodation. I hope they really did make it accessible as required by law. 

Because the ADA is a law, and its accessibility standards are indeed "required by law." As many unfortunate business owners have found out when they came out on the losing end of a lawsuit under the ADA.

It's not the same law (building codes) as the laws that are involved in getting city permits, and as noted in the information I linked to and quoted, the city doesn't enforce the ADA. 

Edited by Jeeves

So I get that they're renovating several at once and I also watch this while doing other things, but haven't like the last three episodes had Ashley saying "I'm due in three weeks--we'd better be able to get this done before then" and then Elle being born towards the end of each ep?  It's just a little disconcerting somehow, but I'll deal, heh.  It reminds me of when we watched a filmstrip (I'm old) of a woman giving birth in junior high (I'm old) and everyone told the AV club kid running the projector to rewind it and so we kept seeing the baby going back in and coming out again.

I do like the show.  I definitely appreciate that they get all sweaty and rumpled and look like just regular folks.  I mean, they're not unattractive or anything, and I think Ashley looks especially cute in the very-pregnant shots, but she's not wearing foot-long false eyelashes like Christina from Flip or Flop, etc.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I feel very parental towards Ashley and Michael and sincerely root for them to do well. They have three businesses now that we've seen -- their real estate office, the Kettle B&B, and now the ice cream/sandwich shop. It's a lot.

The reno turned out nice and I hope it's successful, but any kind of restaurant is a big gamble at the best of times, never mind during a pandemic.

I don't have kids and am having a hard time seeing the appeal of a fairly small party space that doesn't include some kind of crafts or activities. People can easily have cake and ice cream for 8-10 kids in their own apartments or back yards, no?

I hope at some point A&M installed a big wall mural of a castle or dragon or whatnot. The featured selfie wall of dots made me chuckle a bit.

But anybody in Galveston, please stop by and give us a report! If I was visiting I'd go for sure.

• Love 2

I googled the Ice Cream shop and they basically have no internet presence at all. Maybe with the 'rona they had to shut down before really opening. Or it could have been a "just for TV" thing. Did they ever show what was on the second floor?

• Love 1
20 hours ago, sheetmoss said:

I did not like the ice cream shop  - it was as dull as dishwater and  not ice cream shop cheerful and whimsical..

I know they probably couldn't add them, but it needed way more windows

Yep. After I got past the complete lack of access for persons with mobility impairments and wheelchair users, I wasn't impressed with much. Okay, the back patio area looked nice but how would that ice cream shop generate enough revenue from people lounging around on all those sofas and armchairs?

Also, that big awning that reached clear out to the street, just covered up the whole frontage and entrance of that store. It was kind of isolated on that corner, by which I mean it was not adjacent to other shops, so I doubt there was much pedestrian traffic. And it must not have been very visible to people driving by it on the street. Unless they put up a big sign outside of that awning, nobody driving by could easily notice there was a store there, or what it was. We saw them hang a sign, but it was under the awning so great for pedestrians but probably not for cars driving by.

Between the awning and lack of windows I thought it must be kind of dark inside, and closed off from the street. 

Edited by Jeeves
On 10/23/2020 at 10:25 PM, MaKaM said:

I googled the Ice Cream shop and they basically have no internet presence at all. Maybe with the 'rona they had to shut down before really opening. Or it could have been a "just for TV" thing. Did they ever show what was on the second floor?

Just found it and says open now for takeout.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 10/20/2020 at 4:16 PM, Jeeves said:

It's entirely possible for a business to get permits and certificates of occupancy from the city building department and yet to not meet the federal ADA regulations. The ADA regulations are federal standards and specifications for accessibility.  While it would be an ideal world where all these issues could be dealt with at once, here's the reality, as stated in one section of the page I've linked to:

As I said, It would certainly be simpler if the ADA specs got written into local building codes, but I suppose it's a federal vs. state/local jurisdiction thing, and never the twain shall meet. Sigh.

ETA: Savvy builders/renovators can hire architects who are knowledgeable about the ADA specs/regs, to review their plans and advise them on compliance, before they make an expensive mistake.

I saw this episode and picked up on the lack of access right away. Needless to say, I was very disappointed. As the former director of the Texas accessibility code and a member of the ADA Accessibility Guidelines Committee, there is no question this building is required to be accessible, including accessible restrooms and other features in accordance with ADA. The City of Galveston even has brochures on their permit counter relating to The Texas Accessibility Standards which are consistent with the the ADAAG. Texas was the second state to achieve equivalency certification from DOJ and has been on the forefront of accessibility since 1968. Imagine how surprised I was to see the lack of access in this project. 

I should also add that the building does not appear to be operational at this time and I intend to check it out on my next trip. 

• Love 1
On 12/30/2020 at 9:32 PM, rcc said:

Just saw on their site that as of two weeks ago the business is for sale.

Where did you find that info? It isn't on their real estate page. Did it sell already?

Re the disability access. My guess it wasn't really finished. No way they'd pass inspection on theses restrooms. The whole episode felt like "We need another episode. What can we use as a filler?"

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Sewlitaire said:

Where did you find that info? It isn't on their real estate page. Did it sell already?

Re the disability access. My guess it wasn't really finished. No way they'd pass inspection on theses restrooms. The whole episode felt like "We need another episode. What can we use as a filler?"

Google Cordray ice cream Galveston and it comes up. Two reviews said they saw the for sale sign. Before that it was open for business for takeout only.

Edited by rcc

I recently cut the cable TV cord.  I now have YouTube TV, which I like overall. But, YT TV doesn't have the DIY network.

I hope this show will move over to HGTV when Chip and Joanna Gaines' takeover of DIY finally happens.  

Edited by Jeeves
2 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I recently cut the cable TV cord.  I now have YouTube TV, which I like overall. But, YT TV doesn't have the DIY network.

I hope this show will move over to HGTV when Chip and Joanna Gaines' takeover of DIY finally happens.  

Chip and Joanna are not taking over DIY. Instead, their Magnolia network is part of Discovery+ streaming service that starts today, for the low, low price of $4.99 a month with commercials, $2 more without commercials.

• Useful 1
19 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Chip and Joanna are not taking over DIY. Instead, their Magnolia network is part of Discovery+ streaming service that starts today, for the low, low price of $4.99 a month with commercials, $2 more without commercials.

Shortly after I posted this morning, I saw that mentioned in another topic around here. I wouldn't pay a nickel to watch the Gaineses - but if DIY programming is abundant enough on Discovery+ I would consider paying a few bucks a month. Interesting - I was just this weekend looking into changing my mobile phone service to Verizon. One of the perks if I get one of their unlimited data plans (which I would), is a free 12 months of ad-free Discovery+. Hmmm. . . 

On 1/3/2021 at 7:48 PM, rcc said:

Google Cordray ice cream Galveston and it comes up. Two reviews said they saw the for sale sign. Before that it was open for business for takeout only.

I asked them on Instagram whether it was true and they said it's the kind of BS people will post on the internet. It definitely isn't for sale and hasn't been opened yet either.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Sewlitaire said:

I asked them on Instagram whether it was true and they said it's the kind of BS people will post on the internet. It definitely isn't for sale and hasn't been opened yet either.

Well if it's from the source must be the truth. Thanks for checking.

Just discovered this show and I like it.  However, I cannot stand her voice and she talks way too much.  Yes I know she's pregnant.  I can see it..please stop saying it.

I like him though.

• Love 1

I just saw this ice cream shop episode for the first time and went searching for info on it. It looks like they're renting out the top floor on airbnb, and the listing says:

This space is upstairs of the soon to be Cordray Drug Store that was renovated for the owners show on DIY network "Restoring Galveston". Hopeful to open Mid 2021.

I don't know if something got changed or if they were always planning to make a 3 bedroom apartment on top!

• Useful 1

The third season premier actually aired Monday (9/23).  I watched it yesterday On Demand and was pleased that it had more of the feel of the first season than last season, which seemed "forced" for lack of a better word. 

Spoiler

Although Ashley is very pregnant with baby #2, she seemed to be feeling good and working diligently on the $15K "house" that she bought online, without Michael's knowledge, in the middle of the night.  The transformation was great; I can't believe that they sold it for so much; and it was a very enjoyable hour of DIY,

Spoiler

Baby #2 was born in May, another girl named Emma, BTW.

• Love 3

Thanks for the heads up about the new season. I've cut the cable cord and get my cable shows via Hulu Live. Oddly, when I searched on HL for "Restoring Galveston" I got nada. Then I searched for it as "Big Texas Fix" - and found it. Including the first episode of the new season, which *was* called "Restoring Galveston." On Hulu Live, and I could watch it. I enjoyed it.

• Love 1

I loathed the slapdash treatment they did on the brick house ("Grandma's House).  They could have left the brick alone and just fixed the portico and windows, and left the brick in the colonial style.  That mortar slapped on looks gross as it is; I can't imagine how much worse it will look as it starts dropping off the brick over time. I also really hated the wood divider they put in between the living and dining rooms.  It looked like a bunch of unpainted two-by-fours they forgot to remove, and served no purpose. 

I'm also not sure what the point was of putting in the desk on the landing upstairs.  Someone is going to sit there and work?   The tiny window seat is also virtually unusable, though cute.  Maybe pets can sit there.

The kitchen was just ok.  They really could have done so much more with it.   The cabinet color is iffy.  I liked the green in some shots, but in others it looked too much like chartreuse.. 

Overall, this was not their best work.

Edited by izabella

Nah, I don’t like this show.  I’m very familiar with Galveston and this show sucks.  The butch annoying wife and the balding beta male.  She has ZERO taste and is so butch and loud and he’s greasy and always looks like he needs a bath.  Gross.  The show presses and they no chemistry.  Hard pass.   

• Love 2
On 9/15/2021 at 1:23 PM, izabella said:

I loathed the slapdash treatment they did on the brick house ("Grandma's House).  They could have left the brick alone and just fixed the portico and windows, and left the brick in the colonial style.  That mortar slapped on looks gross as it is; I can't imagine how much worse it will look as it starts dropping off the brick over time. I also really hated the wood divider they put in between the living and dining rooms.  It looked like a bunch of unpainted two-by-fours they forgot to remove, and served no purpose. 

I'm also not sure what the point was of putting in the desk on the landing upstairs.  Someone is going to sit there and work?   The tiny window seat is also virtually unusable, though cute.  Maybe pets can sit there.

The kitchen was just ok.  They really could have done so much more with it.   The cabinet color is iffy.  I liked the green in some shots, but in others it looked too much like chartreuse.. 

Overall, this was not their best work.

I agree about the outside  brick. The worst is the ugly 2x4s in the middle of the house! Bad design choice. She was hesitant but went ahead with it. Loved the kitchen though.

I must be getting tired of this show, or maybe tired of Ashley's choices.  They did a lovely job on the outside of the house, and I did like most of the inside, but it was very dark.  I did want to rip off that scalloped edge on the kitchen vent, and I hated that tub.  I hated it when it was plain, and hated it that much more when she painted it white on the outside, with beige epoxy on the insidet.  Why not just get a real tub?  That thing looked exceedingly uncomfortable to sit in with its straight back and flat metal bottom.  Not to mention the metal seams!  That will never be used for anything but as a giant ice bucket.  Although with it being squished into that corner behind the sink, it's not that easy to even use as an ice bucket.

I also thought the copper screens for the doors were a bad choice.  Yes, Ashley, it will get a "patina" in the salty, sea air. Almost instantly.  And the oxidation will look dirty and block the view.

On the plus side, there was minimal child stuff, which I never want to see on any of these reno shows.  I don't know why reno shows think we want babies and children to be part of the show. 

Is Ashley partly deaf?  She always talks like she's yelling into a windstorm or trying to be heard over a dozen chainsaws.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

Finishing season 3. I do enjoy this show because of the Galveston architecture. I love seeing the broken down homes come back to life, the small personality issues that can grate notwithstanding. But I have to say that Ashley & Michael seem more real and authentic than most of the hosts of these shows. I mean, can you even imagine some of them pounding down ice cream & cookies like Ashley does?  However, in the Circa House, I absolutely hated that travel trunk monstrosity of a “medicine chest” they stuck on the wall. I’d have that down & in the dumpster before the ink was dry on the sale papers. Gross. Some of her design choices are a massive swing & miss. I think Michael’s too nice to overrule her.

Edited by limecoke
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

New season just dropped on Discovery + and I'm so excited (and glad she's not pregnant this season).  I always like this show because I love Galveston - heck, I'm going to Galveston for Thanksgiving.

• Love 2