Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E10: Dealbreakers

• Start Topic

Amelia has major feels for her husband, no matter how hard Bennett tries to sway her.

Even calling out his own worst failings...picking his boogs and B.O.

Ameilia brushes them aside and admits she forgets her deodorant upon occasion.

Do you remember what her younger brother looks like?

He could be Bennett's brother...for all we know Bennett could resemble her father...

Amelia even faced the serious rebuke from Bennett of not washing the outsides of the drinking glasses when she does dishes with an okay....

Bennett is matched with the one person messier than himself, has a looser grip on hygiene than he and is not grossed out by his worst habit and after some very lousy couples on MAFS, they are fun to watch...

• Love 11
5 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

I could not believe Amelia thinks she is entitled to beg off cleaning duties because of residency - she hasn't even started that yet! Maybe she should have just hired a housekeeper rather than getting married at first sight. And she would be wise to realize that while Bennett might be okay with being a house husband, he is not going to be okay with her begging off all responsibilities just because she is a doctor. He will essentially eventually be taking care of kids and a house plus trying to work from home on his writing. That is not exactly an easy job either. I hope she understands this and contributes at home in some capacity because that is going to be a recipe for burnout.

See now you just described my life with a former spouse. Full-time writer/editor (worked from home), wrote books on the side (from home), raised kids, cooked, cleaned, paid bills because hubby worked outside the home and felt like he shouldn't have to do that stuff. Nobody blinked an eye because he was a dude. People couldn't understand why that would bug me. So yeah - that happens sometimes. 

Edited by NoWhammies
because would and wouldn't aren't the same word.
  • Love 6

Bennett shows his appreciation to Ameila for her TLC when he was sick for 5 days....

Cook a tofu entree dinner with roasted asparagus...no boogers, please

Get a woman with twisted paper horns around her face to sing like an angel in a beautiful song duet with a blue costumed leech looking outfit or The Madonna to Amelia knowing how much she appreciates singing, original songs, and guitar....

Better than a bunch of flowers....

Edited by humbleopinion
  • LOL 6
  • Love 6

Amelia is madly in love with Bennett. I truly believe she doesn't mind his quirks at all.  I'm not sure how he feels about her. Seems he loves her as a friend and thinks she's an awesome person but I don't know if he's "feeling it". Have they had sex yet? They don't seem to talk about it. I hope he doesn't break her heart. 

Woody is a good friend. I liked everything he said and was asking Miles in the barber shop. I was also fascinated by that barber. Now, I'm just an old white lady that doesn't know much about styling a hip black man's hair but I couldn't take my eyes off of what that barber was doing. 

1 hour ago, lizajane said:

ChristinA has a strange sense of humour - that pregnancy joke went over like a lead balloon.

Worst joke ever! she is every bit as awkward as Henry. Amani pulling Henry over for a private chit chat was so staged and fake. Henry seemed to come alive a little bit, though, when he was talking about his ChristinA deal breakers. 

• Love 7
30 minutes ago, lizajane said:

That drove me nuts! But I will admit to being a bit OCD - I have two mattress pads on my bed.  And also her ambivalence about whether the fitted sheet was inside out or not. It would have been very simple to reverse it - it's not like the bed was all made up. I am finding Olivia more and more unlikable every week. Brett was right - that was not trivia, but he was a big poop about it and could have been a better sport. But her friends kept telling him - it's coming - I don't think they had a clue what trivia is. I did enjoy watching them at the rock climbing wall.

ChristinA has a strange sense of humour - that pregnancy joke went over like a lead balloon. I still do not see these two making it, and I think he would be a good partner. If she keeps pushing him he is going to bolt right out the door. I saw no point in Amani getting in the middle of their drama - where the hell are the "experts"?

Bennett and Amelia - she is a total slob, and I think that Bennett is not too pleased about it. Her feet were disgusting and she looks like a bag lady - I am not sure if it is just quirkiness or poor hygiene and apathy, but I think the latter. I hope she cleans up for her job - and wears deodorant. And I hope that Bennett never wears those pig tails in public. His friends seem even quirkier than some of hers.

Miles and Karen. That Thai massage was interesting - I kept watching to see if Miles had pitched a tent. She is so bloody uptight and if she has this many issues with intimacy, she never should have gotten into this in the first place. If she feels unsafe with Miles, I can't imagine how she would have dealt with a "manly" man. I don't know what she was expecting. 

Woody and Amali. I need a translator app to understand what he is saying half the time - he's kinda mumbly and talks fast. They do seem to be doing well and I think that her holding back a bit doesn't make it too easy for him and helps to keep him on his toes.

17 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

Amelia has major feels for her husband, no matter how hard Bennett tries to sway her.

Even calling out his own worst failings...picking his boogs and B.O.

Ameilia brushes them aside and admits she forgets her deodorant upon occasion.

Do you remember what her younger brother looks like?

He could be Bennett's brother...for all we know Bennett could resemble her father...

Amelia even faced the serious rebuke from Bennett of not washing the outsides of the drinking glasses when she does dishes with an okay....

Bennett is matched with the one person messier than himself, has a looser grip on hygiene than he and is not grossed out by his worst habit and after some very lousy couples on MAFS, they are fun to watch...

I feel that Amelia is totally enamored of Bennett. I wonder if Bennett would feel the same way if she was not such a great catch for him?

She totally adores him, will fully financially support all his dreams, and I believe will eventually come to a compromise in the chore situation.

If she was another in the long line of quirky girls that have a crush on him...would he still want to be married to her?

I hope so, I really like them both even though they are a little gross.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

I wanted to kiss Amani when she laid down the law on hitting children.  Then she used "voiced" as a verb when telling Christina what Henry said, and I didn't want to kiss her any more.

Also, Bennett's and Amelia's list of chores was, uh, different.  Dealing with the neighbors is on the chore chart?

20 hours ago, Medsed said:

Karen forgives him?  For joking about a normal part of marriage?? 

and now she’s ready to just move forward...talk about manufactured hurt and rage!?!

But these are married at first sight marriages, and I don't there's anything "normal" about them.  And I definitely don't think sex in one of these pairings should be expected to resemble sex in a marriage, especially since my recollection is that the man is always rarin' to go, and he displays his gentlemanliness by deferring to the woman.

That said, I thought her reaction was over the top, and I'm troubled by her quick about-face.  She hasn't been as vocal as Christina about wanting a "strong man," but she pretty quickly went from not feeling safe and needing to spend the night away from him to acting like she's wanting to speed things up a lot more than what she claims is her usual pace, when the only thing that really changed was what made her feel unsafe.  It seems inconsistent.

10 hours ago, becauseIsaidso said:

Bolivia was painful to watch - but I agree with Brett - that was not my idea of trivia. Probably because I was a big fan of the Trivial Pursuit game and what they were doing was not my idea of it. Shortest Bible verse? Yup. Who said 'the end justifies the means'? Yup (Machiavelli, among others, but coming up with his name was the one that won the game for me and my partner - hubs was so dismayed that I finally pulled that one out that he asked for the first name! True story).

My law school had trivia contests back in the 1980s, and it was like you describe--I still remember getting the first woman to race in the Indianapolis 500 (Janet Guthrie), and I was the only one who knew the phone number on Hee-Haw (BR-549, and one of my teammates said, "I don't think I'd admit I knew that" 😀).

Then a couple of years ago I encountered trivia night at a brew pub, and it was like what Brett and Olivia were doing.  It turns out the hosts are franchisees, I think, and the bar contracts with the host, and the franchisor provides the questions.  The teams write their answers down.  Like Brett, I didn't get the appeal because of the format, in addition to the types of questions.

I was there to get together with some new friends.  We didn't know they were doing trivia night, and we didn't have a team, but we did feed some answers to the people at our table who did have a team.  There's a lot of downtime between questions, where the teams discuss their answers.  It's not a conducive atmosphere for actually talking to people because even if you get the answer quickly and have time to talk, you get interrupted by the next question. 

My reaction was pretty much the same as his, but I didn't show it.  So he didn't have to be a dick about it, but I bet he was expecting something else, and what he got wasn't conducive to getting to know Olivia's friends, and vice versa. 

3 hours ago, pdlinda said:

My first and lasting thought.  That made such an impression on me!!  I can't believe she doesn't realize that her future patients may be watching the show and making decisions about how they want their medical care handled by their doctor.  This serious flaw in Amelia's ability to understand that there is a big difference between being "quirky" and being CLEAN!!

The internet (and this show) are available forever.  

I simply don't "get it."

I was actually thinking I'd like her to be my doctor.  I would hope she wouldn't smell, of course, but other than that, I assume when she's working she will wash her hands and that she will scrub up for surgery, and let other people handle making sure the floor is mopped, the instruments sterilized, and the paper on the examining table gets changed.

So far buying the fact that she's as easygoing as she appears.  I laughed when he asked if it bothers her that he's often late, and she said "not as late as me."  Then again, I really hate it when people are late, and I super hate it when doctors keep me waiting, so she'd have to work on that in addition to any possible smell.  But it seems like her attitude might be a good match for me.

• Love 7
27 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

Get a woman with twisted paper horns around her face to sing like an angel in a beautiful song duet with a blue costumed leech looking outfit to Amelia knowing how much she appreciates singing, original songs, and guitar....

OMG! I totally forgot about that weirdness! I thought they were her friends, but his are apparently just as strange! And then they opened their mouths and it sounded great! Please producers of MAFS, hire Amelia and these weirdos to do the music for this show because both have been better than the dreck that they play. I honestly do not know how they found two people who were so perfect for each other and would be a fucking disaster for anyone else. I guess there really is a lid for every pot!

I actually liked Amelia's pink swiss dot chiffon blouse and flowered pants..........

Was kind of surprised she didn't list his sleep dress as something about him she didn't like........

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

Brett always seems to choose to act like a dick for no good reason when he could easily just roll with these scenarios he is being placed into for filming. He hasn't had to endure anything particularity horrible yet. A swamp tour and a pub quiz are pretty innocuous things and he couldn't even attempt to enjoy them

That's because he *is* a dick. I go to football games, which I'm not crazy about (or rather I used to), and my husband would go with me to museums even though it's not his cup of tea. You get through it because it's what you do when you are part of a couple. That's what you sign up for when you get married. About the worst thing he could do on top of putting on his superior act was act like a whiny little bitch in front of her friends, which he did. Now they all dislike him too, with good reason. 

Karen's over-the-top reaction was, among other things, a slap in the face to women who are *really* living in fear and feeling unsafe. Domestic violence is no joke, and that wasn't anything close to it. She is not only incredibly emotionally immature, I don't think she's that bright period.

In my day, this is exactly what a male doctor thought they were entitled to. In addition the first wife Worked to support the husband during his training years thinking she is investing in her marriage.  Then later, when they were making the bigger bucks, they would often discard the first wife who was a drone that had done all the work. The then thought that they deserved for a hot babe for the second wife.  I have no idea if the young male doctors are still thinking the same way; anybody know? 

I can attest to that, at least in my life. My mom supported my Dad through med school, residency, internship, had 3 kids, ran the house, did essentially everything ... until he left her for a nurse a few years after the serious money started coming in. The only time I can remember him attending to us was if we were sick/hurt. No one ever said, "What about your mom's desire to be a painter? How is she going to do that with all those other responsibilities?" To be fair, he did work super-long hours, teach med school and deal with the crazy stress of trying to save people's lives on a daily basis. While it was hardly equitable between my folks, we have evolved enough as a society to embrace the concept of a similar arrangement with house husbands if the wife is in a demanding, high-paying career. It is actually perfect for them, as Bennett does seem a bit child-like when it comes to adult responsibilities (not that I don't love him, I think that's just really common in highly creative people like him). And it won't be long until there's income for a cleaning service at any rate. 

Edited by Mrs. Button
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

I could not believe Amelia thinks she is entitled to beg off cleaning duties because of residency - she hasn't even started that yet! Maybe she should have just hired a housekeeper rather than getting married at first sight. And she would be wise to realize that while Bennett might be okay with being a house husband, he is not going to be okay with her begging off all responsibilities just because she is a doctor. He will essentially eventually be taking care of kids and a house plus trying to work from home on his writing. That is not exactly an easy job either. I hope she understands this and contributes at home in some capacity because that is going to be a recipe for burnout.

I agree that Amelia doesn’t get to opt out of chores just because she’s a doctor. But in her defense, residency is not the same as being a regular doctor. For 3-5 years, you’re essentially an i te turned servís at your hospital. You work crazy hours (Even with the new laws), you have to be on call, and you tend to be tired all of the time. I went through residency with people —male and female— who were married and/or had children, and at the time I didn’t see how they did it. I could barely take care of myself and a cat. In retrospect, they used to tell me how much support they had from spouses and other family members. So I don’t think Amelia should do absolutely NOTHING, but if Bennett is sitting his ass home all day, he sure can fix dinner for him and his working wife. 

2 hours ago, lizajane said:

Woody and Amali. I need a translator app to understand what he is saying half the time - he's kinda mumbly and talks fast. They do seem to be doing well and I think that her holding back a bit doesn't make it too easy for him and helps to keep him on his toes.

Ha. I understand Woody despite his southern drawl— he uses a lot of urban colloquialisms. I’m not sure why he talks so fast. Maybe he comes from a loud family where you have to compete and to be heard—and have to speak quickly. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, TheMediumBopper said:

Are we sure that Karen wants kids? If she doesn't, then yes, she really does have all the time in the world. You're never too old to find a happy relationship. Being female doesn't exclude you from that possibility.

Karen and Miles said that they discussed children very early after they met. I think if they both didn't want children that would be part of the narrative. But no matter what, even if she doesn't want children that's just another part that's harder to find a match for. If you're not African-American, you might not understand the sister's search for an educated partner that is also African-American. It didn't come up but her preference doesn't seem to be an interracial relationship because she would've brought it up.  African-American women finish college at a much greater rate than African-American men. More African-American men are in interracial relationships than African-American women.  It's just a numbers game that I don't think that is on Karen side, especially since she has extra trust issues.  It just seems to be in general that there are many women that would love to be in a loving marriage but it just never happens for them.  And speaking of old, wouldn't you like to spend most of your life in a happy loving relationship and not have to wait until your hair is gray to meet someone?

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, lizajane said:

Miles and Karen. That Thai massage was interesting - I kept watching to see if Miles had pitched a tent.

Glad to know I wasn’t the only one who was “cringe watching” for that to happen...(but who could blame him!)

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, bichonblitz said:

Amelia is madly in love with Bennett. I truly believe she doesn't mind his quirks at all.  I'm not sure how he feels about her. Seems he loves her as a friend and thinks she's an awesome person but I don't know if he's "feeling it". Have they had sex yet? They don't seem to talk about it. I hope he doesn't break her heart. 

I disagree.  There was one talking head when he was talking about the feels.  I think he's swooning.

• Love 7
50 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I was actually thinking I'd like her to be my doctor. 

I think I read somewhere that Amelia wants to be an internist or family physician and I think she'd be GREAT in that capacity. 

The grungy state of (some) students (including med students) is classic; however, I hope that Amelia steps her hygiene a bunch when she's a practicing physician treating patients.

Also, with the house, it would be a blessing for her and Bennett to mutually agree on a housekeeper coming on board to CLEAN (not straighten) so their home will never get to an unmanageable state.

Also, I have a membership at One Medical (they have primary care offices across the County) and the issue that convinced me to join is that you NEVER (and I mean NEVER) wait more than 5 minutes to see your doctor.  Sometimes when I visit a specialist's office (had my knee replaced) I've had to wait for awhile and it always reinforces my preference for having doctors offices run on time with appointments.

24 minutes ago, topanga said:

Ha. I understand Woody despite his southern drawl— he uses a lot of urban colloquialisms.

If I get one word out of 10 that he says, it's a lot!!  He is such a charmer and moves and grooves so effortlessly it's worth the effort for me to try and put 2+2 together to try and understand what he's saying.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Racj82 said:

Offended is one thing.

I do not feel safe. I must leave this place with a discussion are two different things and that's what people are reacting to. Miles had shown himself to be a down to earth guy that is easy to talk to. Use your words. He was obviously joking. But, if that joke offends you, voice that. Talk it out. It's the over the top of it that people are reacting too.

Yeah, I'm sure what she really wanted was a night away.

Also strange to be that upset and then do the Thai massage.  

Edited by Boo Boo
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, qtpye said:

I think one of the reasons that the more educated guys going into demanding careers had so many admirers and we ladies did not, is because of the attitudes of a capitalist society (an no I am not a communist, just stating my observations).

It is often just assumed (I am not saying that this is right) that the high wage earner is the "boss" of the relationship and the other person is subservient to all their needs, particularly if the high wage earner is the the only wage earner.

A lot of women have already been conditioned to take care of all the people in their lives. A lot of men have been conditioned that as long as they bring home the bacon...they are the kings of their domain (again not everyone, this is how it kinda was back in my day).

We potentially high earning ladies who would come across a guy that did want the money. You could see their eyes light up as they think...with her money I can finally get the really expensive model of BMW that I can't afford now. There was no understanding of ...well she earns the money and I will help her by taking on the lion share of the domestic duties...whereas the high earning guys almost always had women who were more than happy to take care of all their needs (even if the woman worked a full time job herself).

Amelia and Bennett seem like the type of people that will eventually work out something that is fair.

Olivia and Brett are dead in the water. The person up thread who said they are only tolerating each other because of both of their competitive natures is spot on.

I think Brett will actually regret being jerky to Bennett, Miles, Woody, and Henry more than his marriage not working out Olivia. They all seem like great guys to pal around New Orleans with (certainly better then his awful brothers).

Olivia biggest gain from this experiment will be her new found friendship with Amani.

Season 2 of MAFS had the most awful grooms but all the ladies ended up being really great friends. 

Yes!  I just watched  that season for the first time and loved that the women are still great friends!  Jacklyn may be one of my most favorite brides of all time. (And I agree with your other points too!)

Edited by Boo Boo
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, sometimesjennifer said:

However, no matter how justified his annoyance was, his reaction was so unwarranted. I tried to imagine someone like Woody in a similar situation and I am betting he would have just teased Amani for it not being what she sold it as, and then charmed every person at that table with silly answers, or even better, would probably have jumped in full force and been super competitive. Brett always seems to choose to act like a dick for no good reason when he could easily just roll with these scenarios he is being placed into for filming. He hasn't had to endure anything particularity horrible yet. A swamp tour and a pub quiz are pretty innocuous things and he couldn't even attempt to enjoy them.

Yes. Yes Yes!  It's not as though she'd invited him to a fun pub Trivia Night--& he'd found out he'd been tricked into a live televised JEOPARDY competition!  Brett has me totally confused.  We KNOW he has a quick humor....so why the heck would he be at his WORST during a mellow evening with his wife's good friends?!?  Has he no control of his two-faced mood swings??

• Love 10

I really like Amelia and Bennett but their lack of hygiene is off putting. Anyone who doesn’t wash the outside of the dishes is just lazy and gross. 

Brett was right about the trivia. He’s still an ass. 

Karen is exhausting. #FreeMiles2020

ChristinA asked Henry what she could morph into so that he’d want to stay married and I couldn’t help saying, “something that will learn how to shut the fuck up maybe?” 

I love Woody and Amani. That’s all. 

• Love 6
8 hours ago, cinsays said:

He was just way too critical and not having anything to do with it.

Did you notice in the previews of this week’s episode how they had a scene where Brett was socializing with Olivia’s friends and she was feeling ignored? She walked out and said something like he doesn’t even care if I’m there? We didn’t see that scene in the actual episode and they made it look like he was fully checked out. It’s possible, or likely, they did some editing there! Also, I cringe thinking this was literally a week before all the COVID hell rose loose

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, lizajane said:

Bennett and Amelia - she is a total slob, and I think that Bennett is not too pleased about it. Her feet were disgusting and she looks like a bag lady - I am not sure if it is just quirkiness or poor hygiene and apathy, but I think the latter. I hope she cleans up for her job - and wears deodorant. And I hope that Bennett never wears those pig tails in public. His friends seem even quirkier than some of hers.

Not sure anyone has mentioned it but I don't think Amelia shaves her under arms either...

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, Soup333 said:

ChristinA asked Henry what she could morph into so that he’d want to stay married and I couldn’t help saying, “something that will learn how to shut the fuck up maybe?” 

I thought Christina was a bit more sympathetic this episode. Henry has to know it was a bad move to share things about his marriage with other women. If it was his mom or best friend that would be understandable. I don't blame her for asking if he has any intentions of seeing this through. He admitted he probably wouldn't stay married if he had to make the call today. I thought she was going to walk out but she seemed assured by him saying he was committed to trying and being a husband. I wonder if they've had sex?

• Love 3

Christina, you know why Henry doesn't answer your questions? He doesn't answer them because you don't give him the opportunity to. You ask him 1500 questions and then become annoyed when he can't answer them at the speed of lightning. Also Henry has told you to your face multiple times that you're impatient and he doesn't like it.

Brett I'm side eyeing you right now. You don't have to like the activity but at least be cordial to her friends. Do better Brett!

Amelia of course you have to wash the outside of the glass. Of all the people who should know better it should be you. At least we know that Bennett and Amelia are the "guaranteed" couple of the season.  

Karen is starting to open up a little. She listened to Miles' needs and planned a massage for him. I have hope for these two. 

Amani and Woody are so cute.  I think she's in love with Woody but is afraid to say it because she's scared of getting hurt. Amani why are you letting these messy producers use you to stir up drama sis?

• Love 9
21 minutes ago, DrewPaul2010 said:

Not sure anyone has mentioned it but I don't think Amelia shaves her under arms either...

It was talked about at the beginning of the season when she was trying on wedding dresses and it was on display. One of the bridesmaids mentioned it to Bennett at the wedding and he loved it!

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Adeejay said:

After Miles told Woody about what happened with Karen, I think he started second guessing being so open and honest with Amani. I hope he had the good sense to realize that the relationship he has with his wife is quite different from the one Miles has with Karen.

Bennett seemed annoyed when Amelia said that she didn’t have anything to complain about. I don’t think he believed her.  She is clearly in love with him, but I am not convinced he is there yet.

Amelia did voice some mild complaints to the camera about Bennett's having lived alone in a small house and therefore being rigid about chores.  But clearly she didn't think it was important enough to tell him about that.  I get where she's coming from but if he is willing to be forthcoming about the small stuff, it would be wise of her to meet him halfway.

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, DrewPaul2010 said:

I thought she was going to walk out but she seemed assured by him saying he was committed to trying and being a husband. I wonder if they've had sex?

I wondered about this at the beginning of the episode when they were in bed and he asked if she slept alright. They both seemed like they were in good moods. They even seemed to enjoy each other's company while folding towels. It makes sense that she'd be mad about him telling Amani about her impatience if she thought they had moved on from that in the aftermath of salsa and chill.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Bennett in the nicest, most respectful way confirmed that they had sex.

I believe he also said after she had taken care of him during his illness that he was madly in love with her.  Or am I halluncinating?

Edited by Alexander Pope
edited for spelling
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, topanga said:

I agree that Amelia doesn’t get to opt out of chores just because she’s a doctor.

My issue is her invoking the “but I thought he was going to do all the chores because of my residency” at this point.  She has not started her residency yet so why she would feel it is his responsibility to do all the chores in this moment was ridiculous and unfair.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
10 hours ago, Boo Boo said:

YES.  

Olivia is so damn dour.   I guess she smiles every now and then but even during couples nights, she bores me.

When she came down off the rock wall, that was the perfect time for a quick kiss or a hug at least.  She didn't even give him a high five.  In fact, she moved away from him, sensing he would lean in.  She is so uptight and cold -- and that was when she was having fun!

• Love 6
11 hours ago, pdlinda said:

I think I read somewhere that Amelia wants to be an internist or family physician and I think she'd be GREAT in that capacity. 

The grungy state of (some) students (including med students) is classic; however, I hope that Amelia steps her hygiene a bunch when she's a practicing physician treating patients.

Spoiler

Google "Amelia Fatsi" and you can find where she's doing her residency. Fun fact about Amelia:  She went to medical school in Australia (University of Queensland)!  And yes, you'll see that she cleans up nicely.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Oh the horror! Apparently a woman who doesn't shave is foul — not necessarily this specific poster, but it's 2020, we are clutching pearls over this? — meanwhile literally every man alive does the same thing & gets a pass. Good times! 

Edited by Mrs. Button
  • Love 23
17 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I wanted to kiss Amani when she laid down the law on hitting children.  Then she used "voiced" as a verb when telling Christina what Henry said, and I didn't want to kiss her any more.

Also, Bennett's and Amelia's list of chores was, uh, different.  Dealing with the neighbors is on the chore chart?

But these are married at first sight marriages, and I don't there's anything "normal" about them.  And I definitely don't think sex in one of these pairings should be expected to resemble sex in a marriage, especially since my recollection is that the man is always rarin' to go, and he displays his gentlemanliness by deferring to the woman.

That said, I thought her reaction was over the top, and I'm troubled by her quick about-face.  She hasn't been as vocal as Christina about wanting a "strong man," but she pretty quickly went from not feeling safe and needing to spend the night away from him to acting like she's wanting to speed things up a lot more than what she claims is her usual pace, when the only thing that really changed was what made her feel unsafe.  It seems inconsistent.

My law school had trivia contests back in the 1980s, and it was like you describe--I still remember getting the first woman to race in the Indianapolis 500 (Janet Guthrie), and I was the only one who knew the phone number on Hee-Haw (BR-549, and one of my teammates said, "I don't think I'd admit I knew that" 😀).

Then a couple of years ago I encountered trivia night at a brew pub, and it was like what Brett and Olivia were doing.  It turns out the hosts are franchisees, I think, and the bar contracts with the host, and the franchisor provides the questions.  The teams write their answers down.  Like Brett, I didn't get the appeal because of the format, in addition to the types of questions.

I was there to get together with some new friends.  We didn't know they were doing trivia night, and we didn't have a team, but we did feed some answers to the people at our table who did have a team.  There's a lot of downtime between questions, where the teams discuss their answers.  It's not a conducive atmosphere for actually talking to people because even if you get the answer quickly and have time to talk, you get interrupted by the next question. 

My reaction was pretty much the same as his, but I didn't show it.  So he didn't have to be a dick about it, but I bet he was expecting something else, and what he got wasn't conducive to getting to know Olivia's friends, and vice versa. 

I was actually thinking I'd like her to be my doctor.  I would hope she wouldn't smell, of course, but other than that, I assume when she's working she will wash her hands and that she will scrub up for surgery, and let other people handle making sure the floor is mopped, the instruments sterilized, and the paper on the examining table gets changed.

So far buying the fact that she's as easygoing as she appears.  I laughed when he asked if it bothers her that he's often late, and she said "not as late as me."  Then again, I really hate it when people are late, and I super hate it when doctors keep me waiting, so she'd have to work on that in addition to any possible smell.  But it seems like her attitude might be a good match for me.

I get the whole easygoing free spirit hippy dippy shtick Amelia has going on. But I wouldn’t want her as my doctor. She doesn’t seem to have the personality of a western medicine dr. Olivia has more of that like OCD type of personality that fits a medical professional. Amelia looks like she is high on something and that she is not ON 

Edited by Lily247
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Mrs. Button said:

Oh the horror! Apparently a woman who doesn't shave is foul — not necessarily this specific poster, but it's 2020, we are clutching pearls over this? — meanwhile literally every man alive does the same thing & gets a pass. Good times! 

I don't think anyone is clutching their pearls over it, but the reality is that it is less culturally acceptable in the US for women to forego shaving. I personally shave daily. I cannot stand the feeling or look of hairy armpits. Guys in general get a pass over body hair, armpits included. They are also less likely to be wearing sleeveless garments compared to women. To each their own, but I think it looks gross. I would never ever say anything to anyone I saw doing that, but I definitely would be thinking it. And I am saying it here because that's what this forum is for.

• Love 12
13 hours ago, Alexander Pope said:

I believe he also said after she had taken care of him during his illness that he was madly in love with her.  Or am I halluncinating?

Bennett's TH: "(I have) Reached a place where I really adore her. (I feel) Warm and gooey like I'm close to my melting point with Amelia."

How lovely.

• Love 9
18 minutes ago, Lily247 said:

I get the whole easygoing free spirit hippy dippy shtick Amelia has going on. But I wouldn’t want her as my doctor. She doesn’t seem to have the personality of a western medicine dr. Olivia has more of that like OCD type of personality that fits a medical professional. Amelia looks like she is high on something and that she is not ON 

Amelia is exactly who I would want to have as my primary.

Olivia would be someone I would want as my RN.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, MyTwoCents said:

You hit the nail on the head there!! Gave me a real lightbulb moment 💡 That is what it all boils down to at Brett’s core: he’s just a dick who reacts in every situation like a true dick does. I don’t think he knows how to act like an adult.

The entire time he was sitting at the table and not participating but commenting, my wife just kept saying, "He is such a freaking DICK!".  She said it at least 5 times.

I just kept laughing every time his face was shown.

Edited by Sycophant4Lease
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5

I don't think anyone is clutching their pearls over it, but the reality is that it is less culturally acceptable in the US for women to forego shaving. I personally shave daily. I cannot stand the feeling or look of hairy armpits. Guys in general get a pass over body hair, armpits included. They are also less likely to be wearing sleeveless garments compared to women. To each their own, but I think it looks gross. I would never ever say anything to anyone I saw doing that, but I definitely would be thinking it. And I am saying it here because that's what this forum is for.

I shave myself, I just think it's a very cheap shot that is specifically lobbed at women to demean them while men get a pass. To me it reeks of internalized misogyny when it comes from women, and I am saying it here because that is also what this forum is for (I *do* realize I don't know your gender, I am referring to women specifically). 

Edited by Mrs. Button
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, Mrs. Button said:

Thanks for saying this.  No need to clutch pearls over that.

I don't have any problems understanding Woody, and I don't always have the closed caption on.  

• Love 2

The preview will have Brett's bench warmers fleeing.

Olivia confronts him and his Dickishness reaches a new high or low in terms of character.

BOlivia is a dumpster ready for a match to light it up....

Cool Turtle/Chins are having a run of good days...the meds must be working!

• LOL 1
3 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Bennett's TH: "(I have) Reached a place where I really adore her. (I feel) Warm and gooey like I'm close to my melting point with Amelia."

How lovely.

You can really tell that Bennett is a writer. He uses words so thoughtfully and expressively!

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Mrs. Button said:

To me it reeks of internalized misogyny when it comes from women

Internalized misogyny! Whoa! Not sure how it's misogynistic to dislike armpit hair on women if it's only my inner monologue saying it's gross and I never act on that? I did say to each their own, but I still think (think being the operative word) it's gross.

I am sure I am a product of my environment in not liking armpit hair on women (and yes I am a woman). But we judge these people on their appearance all the time. Not sure why this one get such strong reactions. It's pretty fascinating to me, honestly.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Internalized misogyny! Whoa! Not sure how it's misogynistic to dislike armpit hair on women if it's only my inner monologue saying it's gross and I never act on that? I did say to each their own, but I still think (think being the operative word) it's gross.

The reason it's "gross" is because companies that sell razors have been marketing that concept for decades and decades. It's not for any real health or sanitary benefit, but because they want to make money. (It's nice that you don't act on it, not sure how you would — start an Armpit Militia? Oh dear!) If it's so gross on women, shouldn't a male doctor with armpit hair be gross too? To me it's sad when I see women use it as a tool to malign other women, maybe because I'm old & I tend to look at a person's substance not superficiality. If think someone is gross, it's because I think they are a Katie — e.g., lacking in substance, superficial, with a mean streak to boot. I don't care if Katie shaves her pits or not — to me her horrid character *is* gross & ugly to the bone.

• Love 9

Some bookeeping to clean up..

One shrug dance from Woody at "date night". Those two really do like to dress up and look nice.

Description: More of a upper body jogging, shoulder shrugging, arms cocked and pumping slightly movement.

Yet another dinner out by another couple to make Olivia jealous....since she's stuck at home eating Brett's home cooking....

Anyone else notice Woody hasn’t worn any hats...all still on the Wall of Hats back at Granny’s...

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 6