Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
DollEyes

The Trial Of the Chicago 7 (2020)

This is the thread for The Trial Of the Chicago 7, the fact- based story of the "Chicago 7," who were put on trial for causing much of the chaos at the 1968 Chicago Democratic Convention.

The all-star cast includes Sasha Baron Cohen, Michael Keaton, Eddie Redmayne, Mark Rylance, Yahya Abdul-Mateen 2, Jeremy Strong and Joseph Gordon-Levitt, is written/directed by Aaron Sorkin and will debut on Netflix on October 16th.

• Like 3

I'm really looking forward to seeing this film.  Truthfully, they had me at Aaron Sorkin, but that is an exceptional collection of actors!

Official Trailer:

• Like 4

Watched it on Netflix. Gets a little cheesy, especially at the end, but definitely draws a lot of parallels today. Especially that one quote from Michael Keaton as the former Attorney General. Won't write it here, just in case, but those that have seen the movie know exactly what part I'm talking about.

Lots of good performances, but the highlight was Sascha Baron Cohen, since I'm pretty sure that was his first dramatic role.

• Like 3

This was riveting. And scary at the same time. Why was I shocked? I mean, I've watched CNN Films' The Sixties! And yet, I found Judge Hoffman to be THE WORST. Why Kunstler(!) didn't make a motion to have him recused for OBVIOUS BIAS, I'll never understand. The whole trial came off as a kangaroo court because of him. Spoilering this just in case :

And

only 78% of lawyers, oh, I'm sorry Chicago lawyers, found him to be Unqualified?

And then what he had the Marshalls do to Bobby Seale? I...just...no words at his tone deafness.

Michael Keaton was AWESOME in the five minutes he was on screen. I wanted to see more of Ramsey Clark.

Sascha Baron Cohen really surprised me.

But I did enjoy seeing and pointing and saying Hey! I!T!G! while watching.

I still haven't been able to get Netflix to stop its auto play so had to fast forward from the beginning just to watch the final credits. It's AGGRAVATING. At least for the shows, you have that button that lets you just "watch credits"!

It saddened me that Jerry Rubin was killed in a senseless accident and that Abbie committed suicide.

But I could tell Aaron's hand was behind this with the characters saying "yeah"--something his West Wing characters said ad nauseam.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

This was riveting. And scary at the same time. Why was I shocked? I mean, I've watched CNN Films' The Sixties! And yet, I found Judge Hoffman to be THE WORST. Why Kunstler(!) didn't make a motion to have him recused for OBVIOUS BIAS, I'll never understand. The whole trial came off as a kangaroo court because of him. Spoilering this just in case :

Reveal spoiler

And

only 78% of lawyers, oh, I'm sorry Chicago lawyers, found him to be Unqualified?

And then what he had the Marshalls do to Bobby Seale? I...just...no words at his tone deafness.

Michael Keaton was AWESOME in the five minutes he was on screen. I wanted to see more of Ramsey Clarke.

Sascha Baron Cohen really surprised me.

But I did enjoy seeing and pointing and saying Hey! I!T!G! while watching.

I still haven't been able to get Netflix to stop its auto play so had to fast forward from the beginning just to watch the final credits. It's AGGRAVATING. At least for the shows, you have that button that lets you just "watch credits"!

Reveal spoiler

It saddened me that Jerry Rubin was killed in a senseless accident and that Abbie committed suicide.

But I could tell Aaron's hand was behind this with the characters saying "yeah"--something his West Wing characters said ad nauseam.

Also:

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 4

45 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

My jaw dropped at that part. Jesus.

Michael Keaton was indeed the most awesome, next to SBC, especially at THAT QUOTE. You know the one, right? If not PM me. And the part with Eddie Redmayne being "cross examined" was amazing too. Like clearly he had been taken out of context, but the cops incited it and they were screwed either way.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

My jaw dropped at that part. Jesus.

Michael Keaton was indeed the most awesome, next to SBC, especially at THAT QUOTE. You know the one, right?

I KNOW!

And Oh, yeah. I KNOW which quote. And he said it twice!

I think we should be able to quote it because you know, it was stated in the movie. 

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Spoiler

And

only 78% of lawyers, oh, I'm sorry Chicago lawyers, found him to be Unqualified?

Spoiler

I. Know!!! I just wondered, what were the other 22% smoking???

Edited by A.Ham · Reason: Trying to learn how to use spoiler tags in quotations
  • Like 3

I just want to know if Judge Hoffman was THAT stupid that he actually thought any conversation between President Johnson and Attorney General Ramsey Clark was considered attorney/client privilege? As if Clark was Johnson's personal attorney?

Like Clark corrected, it wouldn't be attorney/client privilege because he in his role as AG wasn't Johnson's lawyer. That's not the way it worked, I think he said. Unbelievable.

• Like 5

On 10/19/2020 at 10:24 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

This was riveting.

Riveting for me too, and that's unusual. 
I was surprised after watching when I discovered that Abbie Hoffman was played by Sacha Baron Cohen and that it was written and directed by Aaron Sorkin.
And if you need to use the word "unspoiled" in a sentence, feel free to quote me.

• Like 2

Tonight (Monday) Sacha Baron Cohen will be on A Late Show With Stephen Colbert, and then, following, on The Late Late Show with James Corden, Aaron Sorkin will appear. Both are on CBS, but I imagine both interviews will be on YouTube by Tuesday. 

• Like 1

I am not exaggerating when I say this has been the most impactful film I've seen in a while. Trying to think about the last one that made this big of an impression, I think it was Jojo Rabbit. Seriously, I just want to recommend this to everyone. 

I think this is the worst character I've seen Langella play. He so deliberately and obtusely abused the system that he'd profited from by virtue of being born as he was. No one hadcalled him as being biased towards black people before? Those are some mighty small ears you have there, old man. 

On 10/19/2020 at 11:44 PM, A.Ham said:
  Hide contents

And

only 78% of lawyers, oh, I'm sorry Chicago lawyers, found him to be Unqualified?

Hide contents

I. Know!!! I just wondered, what were the other 22% smoking???

Unfortunately, people like Hoffmann aren't isolated cases. He had to have those who were like minded. Otherwise, he'd never have been elected as judge or given this particual trial. 

On 10/20/2020 at 1:28 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I just want to know if Judge Hoffman was THAT stupid that he actually thought any conversation between President Johnson and Attorney General Ramsey Clark was considered attorney/client privilege? As if Clark was Johnson's personal attorney?

Like Clark corrected, it wouldn't be attorney/client privilege because he in his role as AG wasn't Johnson's lawyer. That's not the way it worked, I think he said. Unbelievable.

He was playing fast and loose with law and laws of logic the entire time. If his actions weren't so horrifying, they'd be fascinating. 

There wasn't a miscast actor in the bunch, I think they all embodied their roles extremely well. And the choice of cutting to Abbie's speech worked really well. Those cut don't always function. 

Some of the more horrifying things for me were 1) Bobby's calm after the news of Fred's murder. They all just knew this could happen to them and it was just execution and nothing else. 2) that girl almost being raped and the police not giving a shit, only to arrest Jerry when he helped her. 3) the police taking off their badges and name tags. That raised the hairs on my neck. 

I would have liked for more women or at least heftier roles for them, but I'll be grateful that those two we did get were cool. Bernardine talking about sex with black men on the phone was simultaneously hilarious, petrifiying and down to the bones awesome. 

Can you tell I liked this? 

I'm off to read up on this case and people involved and check who I haven't recognized in the cast. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bijoux said:

I think this is the worst character I've seen Langella play

C'mon now, the man played Richard Nixon.

• Laugh 4

You know, I honestly don't remember hating his Nixon as much as I did this asshole. Oh, and just from cursory perusing of Wikipedia, the real guy was even worse than the depiction. He had Bobby Seale bound and gagged for several days (!!!) , "struggling to get free and managing to make muffled sounds". So, I guess this is one of those cases of truth being stranger than fiction. 

• Like 3

So far I have loved Jeremy Strong in everything he's been in that I've seen.

I met Jerry Rubin once, back in my college days. Hung out with him for about an hour in a friend's apartment with a few other friends as he held court. "Holding court" was pretty much what it was like. We literally sat at his feet, in a circle on the rug, with him as the focal point of the circle, sitting on a chair.

Based on that hour, I think Strong's portrayal missed some of Rubin's batshit craziness and borderline malevolence. Strong played him as a lovable stoner. But I don't care. I liked Strong's Rubin more than Rubin's Rubin.

• Like 6