Type keyword(s) to search

The Princess Bride (1987)

ElectricBoogaloo
  • Start Topic

This is one of my all time favorite movies - so much so that I kept buying new copies of the DVD every five years when they would release a new special anniversary edition with new special features and interviews. Yeah, I'm that dummy.

The cast did a script reading/Q&A/reunion/fundraiser over the weekend. In the last few months, I have watched a lot of reunion/table read/fundraiser zoom type events so at this point I expect about an hour of intro/getting the cast past technical difficulties while saying hi to each other/the actual reading/short Q&A. I saw that the cast list of this reunion included many of the actors in the movie so I thought maybe they would do several short scenes to allow the different actors to participate, but they ended up reading THE ENTIRE MOVIE!

One of the things I really love about this cast is that they all embrace being part of this movie instead of being grumpy about having classic lines from over thirty years ago yelled at them constantly.

If you want to fuel your Princess Bride nostalgia, the reunion was posted online today!

• Love 10

I watched the table read last night and really enjoyed it!  Mandy Patinkin was definitely the MVP.  He really committed to acting out each scene as much as possible.  Watching him pretend to dunk himself in the watering trough had me laughing out loud and the end when he killed Count Rugan was just as powerful as in the movie.  The whole cast was fabulous, including the Q&A at the end.

Have fun storming the castle!  😃

IMG_4008b.jpg

• Love 6

Yay! A Princess Bride thread!

This is one of my favorite and most quotable movies ever. And yes, I did watch the reunion and it was fantastic! Mandy had the sword! Billy had the hat! Cary had mask! And Carol Kane was fantastic. "LIIIIIAAAAAR!"

Only thing that was missing was poor late great Andre the giant, but Josh Gad did a good job. Seriously though, Andre the giant was the best part of the movie.

And if you haven't read Cary's memoir of making the movie, As You Wish, you need to NOW.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 6

Also watched the reunion, and it was lovely to see so many of the cast reunited. Mandy was an absolute hoot with the dunking scene, and I love that he and Billy Crystal had their film props, lol. Thought Josh Gad did a very nice homage to Andre. 

This was a regular watch in my house growing up, and my siblings and I could recite the entire movie verbatim. I had the privilege of introducing the next generation to it at our last family reunion (you've never seen five kids settle down so fast)! It was wonderful to see all their reactions, and it really holds up so well, even after all this time. 

I also second Spartan Girl in that Cary Elwe's book, As You Wish, is a fantastic read.  

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

"His fingers to go eleven" for Christopher Guest is utter perfection.  

loved that one of the Q&A questions was which of the six fingers in the glove was not his real finger!

19 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

And if you haven't read Cary's memoir of making the movie, As You Wish, you need to NOW.

The book was a total love letter to the movie and the cast, which I loved. I got to see Cary Elwes when he did his book tour and I managed to get a seat in the first row so I hope that I didn't creep him out with all the cartoon hearts shooting out of my eyes. He did a book signing afterward. Normally when I meet authors, I try to think of something interesting to say because I know they must get worn down by signing thousands of books over the course of a few weeks, but I'm pretty sure that I didn't even bother that time because I knew I'd be speechless at seeing the Dread Pirate Roberts in person.

• Love 10

I love this movie. I rented it from Blockbuster back in the day because I was a fan of Robin Wright from her soap opera and I love fairytales. I didn't really know what to expect but ended up watching it twice in a row. It's one of the few movies I own. 

There were stacks of the book at a library book sale last year selling for 50 cents. Brand new too. Perhaps a bookstore or book club donated them? They were quickly snapped up but I managed to snag a copy.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

There were stacks of the book at a library book sale last year selling for 50 cents. Brand new too. Perhaps a bookstore or book club donated them? They were quickly snapped up but I managed to snag a copy.

I bought a hardback cover when I was in college so that it would last forever. I re-read my favorite books often so I thought it would be worth it to have a nice copy (I try to be nice to my paperbacks but sometimes they get beat up if I throw them in my bag).

• Love 2
On 9/14/2020 at 10:18 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

This is one of my all time favorite movies - so much so that I kept buying new copies of the DVD every five years when they would release a new special anniversary edition with new special features and interviews. Yeah, I'm that dummy.

The cast did a script reading/Q&A/reunion/fundraiser over the weekend. In the last few months, I have watched a lot of reunion/table read/fundraiser zoom type events so at this point I expect about an hour of intro/getting the cast past technical difficulties while saying hi to each other/the actual reading/short Q&A. I saw that the cast list of this reunion included many of the actors in the movie so I thought maybe they would do several short scenes to allow the different actors to participate, but they ended up reading THE ENTIRE MOVIE!

One of the things I really love about this cast is that they all embrace being part of this movie instead of being grumpy about having classic lines from over thirty years ago yelled at them constantly.

If you want to fuel your Princess Bride nostalgia, the reunion was posted online today!

It says that the video is no longer available due to a copyright claim.

Even better than reading As You Wish is getting the Audible version. Carey reads it but other cast members are vocally there too in either new recordings or old. It's really a rare example of a book made so much better by being read aloud (by the author).

• Useful 3
  • Love 5