Type keyword(s) to search

S29.E01: 2020 Premiere

• Start Topic

I'm hoping that Tyra Banks continues to get on everyone's nerves so TPTB can rethink this poor move in bringing her in. I get the feeling she tries to be cool but falls way short in doing so. She also beings in a little modeling theme, which is going to annoy me. 

Banks apparently was approached by DWTS 6 months before the announcement. I wonder if she was asked if she hosted the show, what would she change? Maybe the one host idea was hers.

One thing I noticed, when the fake audience booed, Tom would've made a funny comment about it. That's what we liked about him. Nothing from Banks!

Whenever a couple was receiving their critiques and the camera would pan to Banks she made sure she was looking straight at the camera. I know, I know, right now everything she does is going to get on my nerves.

I've already decided that I'm not going to make an effort to record it. If my wife is watching it, maybe I'll glance at it. 

Derek Hough will be a good addition as long as he keeps in his lane and doesn't try to be a funny man. In other words Derek, stay true to yourself and everyone should like you.

Now...I'm hoping I see that the ratings for DWTS was the worst it's ever been for opening night!!!      

Edited by rr2911
  • Love 8
3 minutes ago, rr2911 said:

I'm hoping that Tyra Banks continues to get on everyone's nerves so TPTB can rethink this poor move in bringing her in. I get the feeling she tries to be cool but falls way short in doing so. She also beings in a little modeling theme, which is going to annoy me. 

Tyra Banks has ruined every show she's been on...and somehow she eventually becomes an Executive Producer.  I assume hiring her (really???) is to get a younger/more diverse demographic.  Who owes her?  The show is too LOUD, too HOPPED UP.  I don't know how that will attract anyone who likes ballroom dancing.  I wish I could have given your post 1000 LIKES!!!

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Brookside said:

What kind of stupid name is Chrishell?  Especially "paired" with that giant pair of fake knockers.

It’s actually a funny story of how her mom came up with the name. She’s from humble beginnings in Kentucky and I believe a man named Chris helped her mom at a Shell station while she was in labor. Nevertheless, she lost both of her parents to cancer within the last year and her husband dumped her in a pretty humiliating way, so we should give her a little bit of grace here for putting herself out there. However, if she keeps dancing the way she did last night, all my votes are going toward Vernon, AJ, and Jesse lol, even though I’ve been a fan of hers since she was on soap operas. She seems like a genuinely nice person. 

Edited by Legalbeagle421
  • Useful 5
  • Love 14
4 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

Didn't like Tyra at at all. She made me uncomfortable. Her interactions with the couples made me cringe and her pantsuit was awful.

Tyra looked like an escapee from a carnival. Who allowed her on stage in that wig and clown outfit? Her hosting "skills" suck too. 

However, I'll watch again until I just can't. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, Sister Havana said:

I’m glad they ditched the band, though. 

Oh, Ray Chu Live was there! Butchering John Legend, for one. (They did show Ray when Tyra did a little shout out but not much of the band itself that I noticed.)

21 minutes ago, laredhead said:

Did anyone go home last night?

I think first elimination is next week.

• Love 3

So, I caught the dances online this time, but did record the show so I will have to go back to watch how everything else worked out. But, for now, I'll just focus on my comments on the dances that I watched. I think almost all of them have potential. I think Carole and Charles were easily the weakest ones but I think Emma can do some solid work with Charles until they're eliminated and I enjoy Pasha and what he did last season with Kate, so not all negativity from me. However, I understand Carole is sticking around for a few weeks (as per usual with this show that their joke of a contestant also has a huge fanbase) so at least I get a few weeks of Pasha.

Honestly, I'm not all that surprised by Nev's ability to dance. I'm not sure why, as I don't know his dance history, but I wasn't shocked to see him do so well. Plus, I gotta admit....I was not annoyed by Jenna during the dance. I thought this was one of her better dances as well, not in terms of ability, but in terms of not showboating.

Jeannie and Brandon had one of my favourite dances of the night, for sure. I really loved her energy and Brandon brought on some great choreography for her. I thought that this pairing has a lot of potential but their downfall might be not having a big enough fanbase for the voting portion. I can see them getting eliminated way too early. 

Nelly and Daniella were pretty solid as well. Nelly has the energy but needs a lot more practice since he seemed a bit too stiff at times. But, after having Daniella not get much to do last season, I'm glad she gets to be an actual pro this season. I hope they can last a few weeks.

Anne and Keo.....Anne was a LOT better than I thought she would be. She really seemed like she was having fun and I'm glad that Keo has someone who may not be a ringer but isn't a dud either. 

Skai and Alan were great, as expected. Skai is a Disney kid so there's no surprise that she's one of the best dancers this season. She'll easily make it to the finale, which is fine with me. The issue may be the height difference between the two as it seemed to get a little in the way during their dance, but not too bad. 

Johnny and Britt had a solid first dance. I do think that Johnny seemed to get ahead in the moves a little bit and he seemed to want to take the lead over Britt a bit too often? I don't know, that's the feeling I got. But Britt was excellent and I am so happy for her promotion.

Justina and Sasha were pretty great. She has the energy and the ability but the choreography seemed a bit lacking at times, as if Sasha held back a little bit. I think, if he pushed with the choreography, Justina could deliver. 

Vernon and Peta were decent but nothing spectacular for me yet. I might have to rewatch the dance.

Jesse and Sharna were great, and I think Jesse has some potential. 

AJ got a really hard style to dance to for his first week but I think he pulled it off as best as he could. I also think he has a lot of potential and I think he can deliver. Cheryl did a great job with this first week.

Monica was decent with Val and had a lovely dance but they're not at the top of my list at the moment. 

Kaitlyn and Artem were delightful. I'm just happy Artem has someone who has a lot of potential. He hasn't had that since Nikki and he isn't usually given these types of contestants so it's nice to see.

Chrishell was ok but she suffered from a bad song choice...and a bad partner. I still can't stand Gleb and think he makes his partners suffer for his inability to give a spectacular performance.

Overall...an average premiere for me. I think I very well might just stick with watching the dances online and finding out the scores through Wikipedia.

• Love 5

Tyra was actively terrible but that made me like her lol.

I decided to watch the judges and yea that's a no from me. I will be back to fast forwarding them next week.

Loved Skai, Justina, and Anne. Hated Nev. I mean, he danced fantastically, but he's had some bad accusations against him and I can't really see past that. Same with Nelly.

Is the show going to be on Tuesdays or Mondays this season?

• LOL 2

So we're off and running (dancing?) on the new season.

Tyra - I usually like Tyra okay, but I did not like her on this show tonight.  As others have said, this was the wrong time to fire Tom.  He would have been so much better at making things seem less awkward.  Tyra was definitely trying too hard to be cute, funny, whatever?  She just does not have Tom's natural charm and quick wit.  And I was NOT a fan of either of those outfits.  I don't think either one really flattered her figure, but I feel that way a lot with her clothes.  Which I find odd for a model.

I seriously hate that canned audience.  Some cheering or clapping after the dancers are finished would probably be okay, I guess, as long as the noise leveling isn't overwhelming, but fake booing?  Really?  I don't even like "live" booing, but the fake booing is beyond absurd.  So incredibly stupid.

Overall, I was not going into this season with much enthusiasm at all, but I was pleasantly surprised last night.  I thought most of the dancers did a decent to nice job, so it holds promise for at least some number of them to really improve with time and so end up being a good season.

AJ + Cheryl:  One of the ones I wanted to see.  I thought he did a nice job.  Really enjoyed the dance.  Cheryl, I thought, was always one of the better pros at showcasing her partner.

Chrishell + Gleb:  This was not good.  Have no idea still who she is and don't care.  Still not a fan of Gleb, so this pairing will be no loss.  She can leave 2nd or 3rd.

Vernon & Peta:  Not bad for a first dance.  

Anne + Keo:  Anne is one of the people I was looking forward to.  She said most people remember her for her movie with Harrison Ford, but I remember her from Volcano with Tommy Lee Jones.  Loved that movie and loved her in it.  Anyway, she was a lot of fun, and I thought Keo did a nice job with her.  Not perfect, but she was fun to watch, and if she can improve, she could be a contender.

Jeannie + Brandon:  Don't know her at all, and not especially a fan of Brandon, but a nice job.

Jesse + Sharna:  Jesse is another one I was watching for, and he did not disappoint.  I thought that was a really good Quickstep for Week One.  Looking forward to seeing him again.

Skai + Alan:  Another I don't know, and Alan is okay as a pro, but not a favorite.  But this was decent.  Given how tiny she is, I'm thinking dances with lifts should be fun.

Kaitlyn + Artem:  <sigh>  I love Artem, and I was so excited he's back.  Also was terrified they were going to stick him with Carole Baskin.  Instead he gets the second worst choice (in my world anyway) - a Bachelorette.  I just have this natural, visceral, nope nope nope reaction to anyone who was on either of those shows.  Just ugh.  So this is hard for me.  She's a good dancer, and she and Artem could go far.  But I don't like her.  Still I guess I'll have to vote for them to support Artem.  But I won't be happy about it.

Nev + Jenna:  I thought Jenna looked really nice in that sort of 40's hairstyle.  Never heard of Nev, but he seems personable, and I really enjoyed that dance.

Johnny + Britt:  Johnny was another one I was looking forward to seeing, and he did not disappoint.  It wasn't great, but I thought it was a nice solid performance, and I think he'll get better as he gets more comfortable with a partner.

Justina + Sasha:  I had heard of her show but didn't know her, but boy was that fun!  This was my favorite dance of the night.  She was having a blast, and it just radiated out of her.  Dancing was good, too.  And I do like Sasha as a pro, so these two are my current front runners to win.  I know it's early.  🙂

Charles + Emma:  Love Emma, but I don't think she'll be around long.  This was typical "old person can't really move" stuff.  But nice to see Charles.

Monica + Val:  Another person I'd never heard of, but she did a decent job.  

Nelly + Daniella:  Don't care about her, and never heard of him.  But it was a solid, if not inspiring, dance, and he seems personable.  Has a great smile.

Carole + Pasha:  No.  Just no.  She needs to go first.

I thought Derek did a nice job as a judge.  He seems to enjoy that.  Nice to see Len.  I like Bruno with his silver hair.  Was it my imagination or did he seem a little "subdued" for Bruno?  That's not a complaint, by the way.  He could still stand to tone it down a bit more.  Carrie Anne was Carrie Anne.

I have to say that the paired-down dances with just the couple are nice.  No big overblown productions with 6 troupe dancers hiding the celebs missteps.  Now, if they could just stop with the funky lighting.  And we really don't need streamers/confetti/whatever falling down after nearly every dance.  I still remember the first season with a small dance floor and just the couples with no fancy lighting or special effects.  It was really nice.  I miss that sometimes.  So this is a nice change.  Also - yay!  No band singers butchering songs!  Some things to be really excited about for this season.

Edited by LadyMustang65
Forgot to mention judges in first pass
  • Love 3

Tyra just has no wit or charm, which Tom has in spades. It quickly became obvious how much that added to the show and I immediately started FFing Trya's boring intros and chats with the contestants. 

I mostly remember Anne Heche for "Men in Trees", which I loved, so go Anne!

Pasha should have been given Skai. Their sizes are perfect for each other. Alan just had a ringer last season. So damn unfair!  

• Love 11
48 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Tyra was actively terrible but that made me like her lol.

I decided to watch the judges and yea that's a no from me. I will be back to fast forwarding them next week.

Loved Skai, Justina, and Anne. Hated Nev. I mean, he danced fantastically, but he's had some bad accusations against him and I can't really see past that. Same with Nelly.

Is the show going to be on Tuesdays or Mondays this season?

There will be no episode on Monday because of Monday Night Football, so there will be an episode on Tuesday instead which is the first elimination. After that will be a Monday episode though.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
53 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Same here, and that goes for Skai as well. Good for Anne, though. She had some mental health issues, but she looked like she had herself together yesterday. And I love her partnership with Keo.

Carole Baskins didn't annoy me as much as I thought she would, but she was so awkward. I still don't get why they gave her the pimp spot.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, sue450 said:

so they are trying to be politically correct and hired tra banks (black) and she has long flowing BLONDE barbie hair  and her skin color is the lightest I have ever seen it.....kind of misses the point,doesn't it> 

Tyra is an executive producer of the show, so my guess is that her vanity got her the gig.  But I'm not sure if she was the one to give Tom the ax specifically.  I doubt she'll seeing herself off the show any time soon.

I did appreciate the ballroom dancing. It was nice to see no production numbers, and no contemporary or jazz. If Tyra keeps it that way, then I'm fine with her. I don't expect it to last, but it was nice to see.

It was also a plus that no one really sucked except a few people. 

• Love 3

I like Tyra, and I don't mind her here.  She's in a tough spot.  It's natural that people who like Tom are going to hate her and compare everything she does to Tom, but to me that's kind of like the dad trying to take care of the kids when the mom is out of town.  Kids are invariably going to say "but that's not how Mom does it" and there's little chance that Dad is going to be able to convince the kids that his way is just as good.  Tom isn't coming back, so I'm just going to accentuate the positive and find something good in Tyra.  At least there's a show at all!

Everyone knows that the studio is empty, so I don't understand why we need the fake audience sounds.  They are loud and distracting.

I didn't realise that AJ McLean had shaved his head.  I thought years ago it was obvious he had gotten a transplant.  Come to think of it, every time I've seen him in media recently he had been wearing hats.

Carole Baskin... she's awful.  She deserves to be first boot but I doubt it will happen, show will want to keep her on for at least a few episodes because they seem to consider her a huge "get".

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, rr2911 said:

Some were saying that the fake audience audio was too loud. It drowned out Tyra Banks. Well,...that's a good thing isn't it? 

The fake audience was just plain weird...even weirder than the cardboard cutouts at the MLB games. I mean, what was the point?

• Love 4

The minute Tyra bounced out on stage like she was on a Chanel catwalk, you knew it was all about her.  She made it ALL about her, which is something Tom, or even Erin, never did.  Perhaps she’s still in Next Top Model mode.  And what was with the costume changes? Again, it’s all about her.  And the first outfit did look like a scrubby from Bed, Bath and Beyond.

While I know that Johnny is always “out there” in his outfits, I found his mesh pants to be tacky and distasteful. 

• Love 9
8 hours ago, Annber03 said:
9 hours ago, Electruck said:

I think part of the difficulty for Tyra was a necessary vast space between her and the competing couples when she’d talk to them. It makes a difference, harder to create warmth across that distance.

This is a good point. 

True, a good point, but Tom would have been able to bridge that distance with no problem.

15 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I like Tyra, and I don't mind her here.  She's in a tough spot.  It's natural that people who like Tom are going to hate her and compare everything she does to Tom, but to me that's kind of like the dad trying to take care of the kids when the mom is out of town.  Kids are invariably going to say "but that's not how Mom does it" and there's little chance that Dad is going to be able to convince the kids that his way is just as good.  Tom isn't coming back, so I'm just going to accentuate the positive and find something good in Tyra.  At least there's a show at all!

If they'd picked the right person no one would be comparing her to Tom, at least not in such a negative way.  She just sucks, IMHO.

BTW, I love your screen name.  I have some mint condition Blackwing 602 pencils for sale, if you're interested.  😉 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

So I ended up watching the first hour before I fell asleep as I had a long day (and that's after planning not to watch at all but damn boybanders pulled me back in.)

My heart stopped for a second when AJ landed his jump and then had to steady himself.  I was thinking "3 seconds into the season and that had to happen? Also, who hates him that he has to go first?!"

My sister was impressed that Jeannie decided to go with the big lifts in the first week, but thought Jesse was being way too serious with the face.

Tyra comes out in that dress and I said "Well, good thing she's not making it about her."  Personally, I'm meh on her.  I thought her talk show she had maybe 15 years ago wasn't bad, but after watching AGT she's not fast with the quick wit at all.  I can sort of see why ABC went with her, but in a year that has felt like a decade, Tom would have been essential this season.  And even Erin who can be hit or miss, was able to banter with Tom quite nicely and with her sideline gig for football, already gained some experience with interviewing from six feet.

I had to chuckle that Anne said she was best known for 6 Days, 7 Nights.  Which is kind of true as that came out when she was dating Ellen DeGeneres. She was a bit stiff last night, but she seems game for anything and with a few more weeks, I can see her reaching at least the half way mark. 

The very good parts: less props and back up dancers, and Derek being lead judge.  We can go back and forth if he deserved all of his wins, but he was able to give critique that would be helpful without being dismissive even when it sucked, like Len would have. 

• Love 5

I want at least Tom back too, for the reasons already enumerated in the thread. If anyone was playing a drinking game last night, based on how many times Tyra reminded everyone the show was live, I think they’d have gotten pretty plastered.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7

Anymore, I watch to see the pros. I cheered when I found out Sharna & Artem are back this season. They cut them last year due to money, the same reason they flushed Tom & Erin this year. Tyra was ok. I am not going to say she was lousy on her first night. Everyone is awkward on their first day on the job. Hasn't anyone here ever had a job? The first day is always a disaster. Tyra wasn't a disaster. 

I thought it was going to be super dull without an audience but they did an ok job of handling that. We didn't get the crowd scenes, shots of dopey looking people watching. It is more crisp without the audience.  No time-wasting with the audience booing scores they don't like. 

Carrie Ann is still smug about being the lift police. No one cares, Carrie Ann. I loved it when Derek pretended to bang his head on the desk when she announced she was docking Peta for a lift. 

It is only a first night, which is really about getting out there and getting their feet wet. Week 2 will be more intense. So far who impressed me are Kaitlyn, Nev, Johnny and Shai. That will evolve, it always does. 

Edited by TVMovieBuff
  • Love 5

I am so thrilled to have a live show on with new episodes that I can forgive a multitude of sins.

Tom, we hardly knew ye. Erin, I neither liked you nor do I miss you now. Tyra is just fine, for now. I think she stuck to the script, was appropriately humble, and did a serviceable job for her first live show. This can go one of two ways: She will relax and come into her own after a few shows, or she'll REALLY relax and get over the top and start making it all about her, which she did on Top Model. I could not stand her by season 9 of that show, but since this isn't her realm or area of expertise, she's not unstandable just yet. I feel for her - everyone loves and misses Tom, but Tom's not the kind of guy who'd wish ill on his successor, so I'm willing to give her a fair shot. I still think they could easily have had Tom and Tyra as co-hosts.

Peta's dance was a straight rip of Maks' foxtrot with Meryl, from the music to the dramatic romantic pauses to the costuming.

Color me shocked that I loved Golden Boy Hough as a judge. I really couldn't stand him as a pro because I felt he was overpraised and overscored, but he was clear, constructive, and positive at the table. A fitting person to put in Len's seat. He brought a lot of great energy and expertise. He should give his sister a master class in judging at that table. 

They're low-balling Johnny early because he's a ringer. Skaters are notoriously great on this show and many feel they have an inherent leg up. I think Johnny will make the finals.

I'm thrilled to see Sharna and Artem back, and so happy they got the warm welcome they deserve from the judges. I have no idea why Kaitlyn Bristowe is on 5 years after her co-Bachelorette stint, but I can stomach her for Artem's sake. Jesse and Sharna were great and I think that's a pairing with tons of potential.

I expect AJ to really start slaying soon. I hate that he went first with a highly difficult dance. I'm a BSB girl for life, so he'll be getting my votes. 

Alan has another contender. Her lines were excellent and sharp. I think Alan better gear up for another finale appearance with this one.

Brandon is a favorite of mine and I hope his partner gets more traction than Tinashe - another great dancer who unfortunately went home too soon.

Overall, I enjoyed the show a lot and will continue tuning in. I'd love to see Tom and Len back eventually in some capacity, but for now I'm here for the pros I've loved for a long time. 

• Love 6

So, Tyra Banks. Why, exactly? Is there some sort of crossover audience between ballroom dancing and . . . whatever Tyra is? What an odd choice for host, it's like they pulled some random celeb's name out of a hat. Also, has she always looked like a drag queen?

As usual there are more "stars" I've never heard of before than ones I have.

I have mixed feelings about Johnny Weir and his crazy clothes and weird hair. But I have to admit I thought he was much better than how he was scored. I also didn't understand the emphasis on how he wasn't used to sharing the stage with a partner because he started out as a pairs skater. And I thought he and his partner were pretty in sync. 

So there's no audience, right? What is that, canned applause? Canned booing when the judges say something mean? How odd.

Overall they pulled this off better than I thought they would but it was still not quite right. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

The minute Tyra bounced out on stage like she was on a Chanel catwalk, you knew it was all about her.  She made it ALL about her, which is something Tom, or even Erin, never did.  Perhaps she’s still in Next Top Model mode.  And what was with the costume changes? Again, it’s all about her.  And the first outfit did look like a scrubby from Bed, Bath and Beyond.

While I know that Johnny is always “out there” in his outfits, I found his mesh pants to be tacky and distasteful. 

I felt it was all about Tyra, too.  It reminded me of when JLo joined American Idol and it became all about her.  That didn't work out too well.  Shows like this need real hosts, not beauty queens.  Tyra was horrible.  I tuned in out of curiosity and couldn't watch for long.  I'm over it!

• Love 7
1 hour ago, KLovestoShop said:

While I know that Johnny is always “out there” in his outfits, I found his mesh pants to be tacky and distasteful

Actually, that was a pretty conservative outfit compared to what Johnny usually wears to skating competitions. The top reminded me of one of his competitive skating costumes. And maybe my eyes are failing me in my old age, but it took a while for me to realize the pants were mesh.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, LadyMustang65 said:

I seriously hate that canned audience.  Some cheering or clapping after the dancers are finished would probably be okay, I guess, as long as the noise leveling isn't overwhelming, but fake booing?  Really?  I don't even like "live" booing, but the fake booing is beyond absurd.  So incredibly stupid.

I totally agree. Plus, it was so loud that I couldn't hear Tyra very well...but maybe that was a good thing.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, thesupremediva1 said:

I am so thrilled to have a live show on with new episodes that I can forgive a multitude of sins.

Tom, we hardly knew ye. Erin, I neither liked you nor do I miss you now. Tyra is just fine, for now. I think she stuck to the script, was appropriately humble, and did a serviceable job for her first live show. This can go one of two ways: She will relax and come into her own after a few shows, or she'll REALLY relax and get over the top and start making it all about her, which she did on Top Model. I could not stand her by season 9 of that show, but since this isn't her realm or area of expertise, she's not unstandable just yet. I feel for her - everyone loves and misses Tom, but Tom's not the kind of guy who'd wish ill on his successor, so I'm willing to give her a fair shot. I still think they could easily have had Tom and Tyra as co-hosts.

Peta's dance was a straight rip of Maks' foxtrot with Meryl, from the music to the dramatic romantic pauses to the costuming.

Color me shocked that I loved Golden Boy Hough as a judge. I really couldn't stand him as a pro because I felt he was overpraised and overscored, but he was clear, constructive, and positive at the table. A fitting person to put in Len's seat. He brought a lot of great energy and expertise. He should give his sister a master class in judging at that table. 

They're low-balling Johnny early because he's a ringer. Skaters are notoriously great on this show and many feel they have an inherent leg up. I think Johnny will make the finals.

I'm thrilled to see Sharna and Artem back, and so happy they got the warm welcome they deserve from the judges. I have no idea why Kaitlyn Bristowe is on 5 years after her co-Bachelorette stint, but I can stomach her for Artem's sake. Jesse and Sharna were great and I think that's a pairing with tons of potential.

I expect AJ to really start slaying soon. I hate that he went first with a highly difficult dance. I'm a BSB girl for life, so he'll be getting my votes. 

Alan has another contender. Her lines were excellent and sharp. I think Alan better gear up for another finale appearance with this one.

Brandon is a favorite of mine and I hope his partner gets more traction than Tinashe - another great dancer who unfortunately went home too soon.

Overall, I enjoyed the show a lot and will continue tuning in. I'd love to see Tom and Len back eventually in some capacity, but for now I'm here for the pros I've loved for a long time. 

I don't know that they could afford both Tom and Tyra. I think one host is fine in the pandemic. I'm not missing a second host. 

I wonder if Johnny will be one of those unexpected early eliminations. Yes, he comes in with arguably the most "ringer-y" experience as a figure skater, but his pro is new and green. It's shades of Brandon and Tinashe in Brandon's first season. 

I'm actually really surprised that Skai was paired with Alan. It must be because he's one of the younger male pros (I think only Brandon is younger?)

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Legalbeagle421 said:

It’s actually a funny story of how her mom came up with the name. She’s from humble beginnings in Kentucky and I believe a man named Chris helped her mom at a Shell station while she was in labor. Nevertheless, she lost both of her parents to cancer within the last year and her husband dumped her in a pretty humiliating way, so we should give her a little bit of grace here for putting herself out there. However, if she keeps dancing the way she did last night, all my votes are going toward Vernon, AJ, and Jesse lol, even though I’ve been a fan of hers since she was on soap operas. She seems like a genuinely nice person. 

3 hours ago, blackwing said:

I like Tyra, and I don't mind her here.  She's in a tough spot.  It's natural that people who like Tom are going to hate her and compare everything she does to Tom, but to me that's kind of like the dad trying to take care of the kids when the mom is out of town.  Kids are invariably going to say "but that's not how Mom does it" and there's little chance that Dad is going to be able to convince the kids that his way is just as good.  

My experience (as child and parent) is that children love it when mum is out of town.  Wear what you want, no bedtime rules, ice-cream for breakfast, takeout all the time, disposable dishes and cutlery (which on the rare occasions mum allows it she makes you wash and reuse), and what's laundry?

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

So, Tyra Banks. Why, exactly? Is there some sort of crossover audience between ballroom dancing and . . . whatever Tyra is? What an odd choice for host, it's like they pulled some random celeb's name out of a hat. Also, has she always looked like a drag queen?

In my book, yes she has.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I highly recommend going back through his channel and watching all his covid parodies (with some other stuff mixed in, some goofy, some sweet (especially the ones for his wife and son), some more serious; I think the Adele "Hello" parody was the first covid song). He really is a great singer and very funny. (And rather easy on the eyes...)

That's one of the reasons she bugs me. 

I love him from these parodies, but was pretty meh about his when he was on The Voice.  I think My Corona was the first one (first one I saw anyway) and it gave me such a much needed laugh! 

I was planning on not watching because of how the show runners treated Tom B, and I think he really makes the show, but I caved in and watched.  While Tyra was not as horrible as I thought she would be, she didn't add much either.   Jeannie is my favorite for the moment:  I love her personality and just finished watching Holey Moley with her as host. 

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, AlleC17 said:

I love him from these parodies, but was pretty meh about his when he was on The Voice.  I think My Corona was the first one (first one I saw anyway) and it gave me such a much needed laugh! 

I didn't even remember him on the Voice, so...

Maybe he can be on DWTS next season...that'd be fun.

• Love 4

I thought about watching just out of curiosity but then just couldn't stomach the thought of Tyra.

What I WOULD watch though is if they reran some of the earlier seasons.  I don't care if I already know who wins.

• Love 5

Tyra was horrible.  I tuned in out of curiosity and couldn't watch for long.  I'm over it!

I didn't think she was horrible, exactly, I just didn't understand what she was doing there. It just seems like such a random and odd choice for a host. It's like Tyra Banks hosting Ice Truckers or something. Just . . . why? They put a bunch of names into that big spinning cage they pull the Powerball out of and out came Tyra Banks' name.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

I did appreciate the ballroom dancing. It was nice to see no production numbers, and no contemporary or jazz.

I agree and did like there was not all the background dancers and park benches.

I'm sure the contemporary and jazz will show up, it is usually later in the season for those dances. UGH!

Edited by OnTime
  • Love 3

Tyra is just distracting!! Her fake hair and clothes are like costumes (not sure I call them that). I'm expecting her to come out wear a tiara next.

I really like looking at the different outfits the dancers wear and Tyra outfits take the focus away from them.

Edited by OnTime
  • Love 4

Overall I enjoyed last night premiere. The scoring was a bit confusing but overall it was one of the best season premieres I have seen in a minute.

AJ and Johnny were underscored for me bigtime. Im not at all happy with their scores

Chrishell would have been better off with another pro. I do not understand why Gleb keeps getting the young fit partners when Keo keeps getting stuck with older women who cant really move. I feel like Keo has proven himself since Evanna hat he deserves better. 

Jeannie and Brandon were good but Jeannie is going to need alot of worker, she is kinda all over the place with her arms and stuff but the potential is there.

Skai and Alan- Finally a partner, he doesnt have to have a showmance with. I mean she is 18 but looks 13 so nothin is happening there. They had a good first dance and she is going to be fun in the latin dances because she is so tiny and Alan can do all these tricks were her.

Nelly did pretty good but obviously he needs alot of work and is going to have to let go of the tennis shoes

I like Nev but not Jenna, thats all I got

Val choreography with Monica was forgettable. She seems like solid dancer but Val did her no favors with that boring choreography

Justina was really good, I love her latin energy she brought to her performance.

Vernon and Jesse were good but forgettable. I almost forgot about them typing this.

Charles and Carole are clearly the worse dancers and I can see either one of them going home first.

Tyra did ok, she wasnt great but I thought she did better in the second hour of the show. She got more comfortable to me but I do not watch for the hosts so its no need for me to spend too much time talking about her. I will say she needs a better stylist. 

Best dance of the Night: Alan and Skai

Best overall look and costume: Britt and Johnny

Best partnership: Justina and Sasha

Worse dance of the night: Carole Baskin and Pasha, so sorry Pasha

Worse overall look and costume: Carole Baskin 

Worse partnership: Chrishell and Gleb, he is going to do her no favors.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I didn't think she was horrible, exactly, I just didn't understand what she was doing there. It just seems like such a random and odd choice for a host. It's like Tyra Banks hosting Ice Truckers or something. Just . . . why? They put a bunch of names into that big spinning cage they pull the Powerball out of and out came Tyra Banks' name.

I feel somehow like Tyra made them an offer they couldn't refuse.  Not sure how but that's my gut instinct.  Like they were feeling desperate for some reason and she came along with the right schpiel at the right time.

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I feel somehow like Tyra made them an offer they couldn't refuse.  Not sure how but that's my gut instinct.  Like they were feeling desperate for some reason and she came along with the right schpiel at the right time.

lol  stranger things have happened!  I would have preferred her as a contestant versus a host.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, blackwing said:

Everyone knows that the studio is empty, so I don't understand why we need the fake audience sounds.  They are loud and distracting.

I like to believe it's the other contestants cheering and booing from the catwalk to make up for the lack of audience. I mean, who doesn't want Emma yelling out reactions?

That said, I didn't find them as bad as the real audience. I mean, there was no stopping from the judges while the noises quieted down. The automatic booing as soon at a judge started talking in previous seasons was old and annoying, especially when the judges were right. I don't miss that at all.

• Love 4

image.png.a199ffc80ff207820334f04fcd4b30f8.png

This is all I saw when Jenna was dancing. I liked Nev, even though I've never heard of him or watched his show, but I don't care for Jenna. I don't remember her eyes being so freakishly wide before, though.

Did anyone catch what Tyra said at the very end of the show? It was something like there's so much I want to give you (or do for you?) and I can't wait to get started. Okay, bring Tom back and go home.

I agree with those who said Johnny was underscored because he's expected to do well, but I wonder if maybe it has more to do with waiting to see if middle America will be accepting of His Flamboyance (my title for him). I had completely planned to boycott the show until I heard he was on--he's the only reason I watched. I like Jesse and Anne, though. I only know Justina Machado from The Purge, but she was amazing--so vibrant and astonishingly light on her feet.

I feel like Carole Baskin got the pimp spot because she's the one they're hoping will get people to watch. It was sort of weird. She looked like she was having a ball, but she's so out there. I had said a long time ago that the show should have a contest and choose an ordinary, non-celebrity person to be on the show, but CB kind of shows why that could be a mistake. Her costume was hideous, and she looked too depressingly real next to all the Botox, spray tans, and chiclet teeth of the stars and dancers.

Tyra, if you're claiming to be a long0time fan of the show, don't say things that prove the lie, such as being surprised when the lift police goes on patrol or not knowing that Derek has often been a guest judge filling in for Len. Also, please stop tucking your chin into your chest--it's very uncomfortable to look at.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, Electruck said:

Pasha’s excellent rear in those leopard pants

best part of the dance!

25 minutes ago, HeyThere83 said:

I hope that can somehow happen in the future, actually.

I read somewhere that part of her contract was only one host.

3 hours ago, vdw84 said:

Overall I enjoyed last night premiere. The scoring was a bit confusing but overall it was one of the best season premieres I have seen in a minute.

AJ and Johnny were underscored for me bigtime. Im not at all happy with their scores

Chrishell would have been better off with another pro. I do not understand why Gleb keeps getting the young fit partners when Keo keeps getting stuck with older women who cant really move. I feel like Keo has proven himself since Evanna hat he deserves better. 

Jeannie and Brandon were good but Jeannie is going to need alot of worker, she is kinda all over the place with her arms and stuff but the potential is there.

Skai and Alan- Finally a partner, he doesnt have to have a showmance with. I mean she is 18 but looks 13 so nothin is happening there. They had a good first dance and she is going to be fun in the latin dances because she is so tiny and Alan can do all these tricks were her.

Nelly did pretty good but obviously he needs alot of work and is going to have to let go of the tennis shoes

I like Nev but not Jenna, thats all I got

Val choreography with Monica was forgettable. She seems like solid dancer but Val did her no favors with that boring choreography

Justina was really good, I love her latin energy she brought to her performance.

Vernon and Jesse were good but forgettable. I almost forgot about them typing this.

Charles and Carole are clearly the worse dancers and I can see either one of them going home first.

Tyra did ok, she wasnt great but I thought she did better in the second hour of the show. She got more comfortable to me but I do not watch for the hosts so its no need for me to spend too much time talking about her. I will say she needs a better stylist. 

Best dance of the Night: Alan and Skai

Best overall look and costume: Britt and Johnny

Best partnership: Justina and Sasha

Worse dance of the night: Carole Baskin and Pasha, so sorry Pasha

Worse overall look and costume: Carole Baskin 

Worse partnership: Chrishell and Gleb, he is going to do her no favors.

those flashing lights during the one   pairs dance wow someone with epilepsy could have a seizure......some of the  costumes were  soooooo  bright...I wonder why they didn't do what americas got talent does for an audience...THEY have screens up  up high and poeple are watching it at home .......that would be better than the canned audience sounds dancing is going with

• Love 5