Type keyword(s) to search

The Drew Barrymore Show - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I think she should interact with the zoomers at the beginning of the show.  Even if it’s just a couple of minutes before she does the news items.  ‘John in Boston I heard you got a new puppy” , “ Susan in Baltimore I heard you became an aunt”. I think it would make the opening transition easier.

she has no cohost or second banana to feed off of...it’s going to be hard.  I think they are going to have to bring in some kind of a ‘ Gelman’ lol.  

She is trying.

• Love 3

I like Drew as an actress and was willing to give her a shot despite reservations. I got irritated within 5 min by the hyperactivity. I can't see her as a brilliant interviewer. Who is the audience she's aiming at? I didn't watch much more of it. Given Adam Sandler and Tom Greene were her comic influences, I can't see it going in a good direction there. Also, what was up with the prairie dress?

• Love 6

Well,   Miss Barrymore is less hyper and OTT compared to Harry Connick, Jr. was on his talk show.  And if one doesn't want to tune in to a show  with  a host having more depth than a pancake, this would be fit the bill. That's about all the pluses I can think of. 

I don't really watch talk shows much, but Drew Barrymore getting her own show intrigued me. I haven't really tracked her career , but I feel like Drew Barrymore is too good for this world. I want to protect her and shield her from any and all criticism because she seems so earnest and like she just wants to put good out into the universe (please no one ruin that impression for me!). I didn't mind the show at all, and it made me laugh out loud a fair amount (though admittedly that was sometimes because some parts were so bonkers). Sometimes I had to watch through metaphorical fingers covering my eyes because of the threat of second hand embarrassment, but I was entertained in some manner throughout.

Very different from Busy Philips's show, but I'm hoping this one improves just like Busy's did as Drew gets more comfortable and the show settles in (I was legitimately sad when Busy's show ended).

• Love 5

I really like Drew Barrymore but ... was anyone asking for this?  I mean, good for her and all, but this just seems so random to me.  Let's give Drew Barrymore a talk show!  Um, okay? 

And I am sure it is the perfect job for her to have lifestyle wise, what with her 2 young kids and it being a steady day job gig, but I always kind of consider these random celebrity talk shows to be a step down the career chain, not exactly a step up.  A settling thing. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

I have no idea if anyone was asking for this.  Was Drew a big social media presence to lead into this opportunity?

Reese looks like she lost weight since Big Little Lies 2.

I know it is just a horror movie, but I think Drew's performance in "Scream" is so iconic, and not a lot of young actresses could have pulled that off.  If the show lasts over a year I'd love to see the Scream 5 cast on.

• Love 1

I think most of us feel the same. I for one, love her romcoms and am intrigued by her life. I have now watched 2 episodes. Tuesdays's didn't tape but even after just 2, I don't know if I can take anymore. She is not cut out for this. And today, WTF was that? Talking about her daughters need to poop?  Good Grief! Gross and since when do you take motrin for constipation? Just weird. the whole show is awkward . Can not wait for normalcy to return to this world, that goes for entertainment either. Corona entertainment  is not cutting it for the most part.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
37 minutes ago, chediavolo said:

I think most of us feel the same. I for one, love her romcoms and am intrigued by her life. I have now watched 2 episodes. Tuesdays's didn't tape but even after just 2, I don't know if I can take anymore. She is not cut out for this. And today, WTF was that? Talking about her daughters need to poop?  Good Grief! Gross and since when do you take motrin for constipation? Just weird. the whole show is awkward . Can not wait for normalcy to return to this world, that goes for entertainment either. Corona entertainment  is not cutting it for the most part.

I know, I just walked away quickly when I heard where the topic was going.  I know she wants to "relate" to people and act like she is sharing personal info--but I don't care about that stuff.  I used to hate when I worked with people at a workplace that would want to share about illnesses, etc.  Some things do not need to be elaborated.  

I can't seem to get into it either.  I keep it on and go out there once in a while and feel meh every time.  Plus I hate the intro to Drew's news.  Just send her to the desk to chat--I hate the intro to that so much.

• Love 4
On 9/15/2020 at 3:45 PM, Cementhead said:

I really like Drew Barrymore but ... was anyone asking for this?  I mean, good for her and all, but this just seems so random to me.  Let's give Drew Barrymore a talk show!  Um, okay?

I do think someone probably asked her to do it.  Just like they asked Kelly. 

I think they're always on the hunt for likable people (it seems to be women, mostly) to be the next Ellen just like they probably sought out Ellen to be the next Rosie. 

But as to whether or there were people at home writing to the producers begging for a Drew show....probably not.   I like Drew but I always think she comes off as a bit frenetic in interviews which I would not think would make for a good talk show host.  It's hard enough for people who are experienced interviewers (Katie Couric and Meredith Viera) to pull off. 

Ugh. Awful. Why is she yelling all the time? Just like Kelly Clarkson without the y'all. Too forced. Maybe she will calm down in the next few weeks. She seems genuinely likable though. 

Oh and her clothes. She is still young. Stop dressing like my Nanna. 😕

• Love 7
4 hours ago, chediavolo said:

I predict the show is going to be canceled and fast. I love Drew Barrymore but a talk show host she is not. The whole format is weird, her delivery is strange.  It’s just horrible😬

Yes.  I try to turn the channel there, and each time she is oddly rambling about something.  It is so awkward.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Aw, I just watched her interview with Tom Green and that was really sweet.  Drew unabashedly wears her heart on her sleeve and I love that about her.  She looks great and I hope that was genuinely a nice moment for the two of them.

I did have to just google 'I'm the Chad' though because I had no freaking idea what that was all about because I've never seen Charlie's Angels. 

• Love 2
On 10/4/2020 at 4:17 PM, chediavolo said:

Everyone needs to check out last nights Saturday Night Live sketch about this show.  Freaking hysterical!!😀

Yes, it was one of the rare times current SNL managed to hit on anything accurately other than political humor. 

• Love 1

Has anyone watched to see if the show has improved?  Whenever I turn over to it for a few minutes, it still seems pretty slow and useless.  Today she is talking very slow and strangely like the halloween character she is portraying.  

• Love 2

I stopped on it the other day and watched a few minutes of her and Dr. Phil giving some poor, misguided woman dating advice. 

images.jpg.6b2b07c11de7654851ba77cc506edc8c.jpg

Not exactly the people I would choose for relationship guidance.  Drew gave her some fun anecdotal advice about not trying to change a guy or something like that and the less said about Dr. Phil the better. 

• Love 2

Can someone please tell Drew and/or her stylist that they make other clothes besides silky blouses and skirts/slacks? At least she doesn't look trashy, but those clothes are too serious and matronly for her quirky and fun personality. 

At least her show wardrobe isn't the train wreck that is Kelly Clarkson's. Ugh.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, seasons said:

Can someone please tell Drew and/or her stylist that they make other clothes besides silky blouses and skirts/slacks? At least she doesn't look trashy, but those clothes are too serious and matronly for her quirky and fun personality. 

At least her show wardrobe isn't the train wreck that is Kelly Clarkson's. Ugh.

Kelly has been much better this season.  Last season was very questionable, but this year most of her wardrobe has been more flattering.  

• Love 1

On Monday's show (11.2.20) Chelsea Handler was one of the guests.  I DVR'd.  I watched the interview, DB mentioned a book that Chelsea Handler read and recommended.  Of course Drew garbled the name of the book, garbled it so bad, in fact, my closed-captioning couldn't capture it.  Did anyone happen to get the name of the book?

9 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

On Monday's show (11.2.20) Chelsea Handler was one of the guests.  I DVR'd.  I watched the interview, DB mentioned a book that Chelsea Handler read and recommended.  Of course Drew garbled the name of the book, garbled it so bad, in fact, my closed-captioning couldn't capture it.  Did anyone happen to get the name of the book?

I just watched the interview on YouTube and I don't have any idea what Drew said when she mentioned the name of the book. I listened to it 3x and still couldn't figure it out. 

On 9/15/2020 at 4:41 PM, mehtotheworld said:

I want to protect her and shield her from any and all criticism because she seems so earnest and like she just wants to put good out into the universe

She's like a human daisy, dancing in the wind,  turning her face to the sun  -  leave Drew's petals alone, cruel world! 

(though admittedly that was sometimes because some parts were so bonkers). 

And (for me) this bonkers show is completely on trend for 2020:  crazy as fuck,  full of random info (products! crafts! celebs! more products!) but since all of is presented with such a hopeful heart - and so much goodwill it might break my screen -  I can't stop watching.  It's like a cult hit cable access show with 2000 fans that suddenly got a real network (Brini Maxwell, anyone?) and you gotta watch because there is nothing Q rating normal about what she's doing.  It's like a kid's show for adults on methadone replacement therapy (which, you know, is exactly how this year feels, so...)

eta: link to Brini (prepare to 'deep dive' - per Drew's phrase - into Ms Maxwell's work..)

Edited by film noire
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 11/11/2020 at 5:36 AM, film noire said:

She's like a human daisy, dancing in the wind,  turning her face to the sun  -  leave Drew's petals alone, cruel world! 

And (for me) this bonkers show is completely on trend for 2020:  crazy as fuck,  full of random info (products! crafts! celebs! more products!) but since all of is presented with such a hopeful heart - and so much goodwill it might break my screen -  I can't stop watching.  It's like a cult hit cable access show with 2000 fans that suddenly got a real network (Brini Maxwell, anyone?) and you gotta watch because there is nothing Q rating normal about what she's doing.  It's like a kid's show for adults on methadone replacement therapy (which, you know, is exactly how this year feels, so...)

eta: link to Brini (prepare to 'deep dive' - per Drew's phrase - into Ms Maxwell's work..)

Funny enough, much of what you say is a great way to describe it, except for the fact I can't watch more than 2 minutes at a time.  She just presents everything in such an odd, juvenile way, and everytime I turn over to her show I really try to give it a chance, and then am like--nope, can't do it!  Her ratings have been fairly low from some of the articles I have read, so she might not last.  It started low, and keeps getting lower...

Edited by alexa
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, chediavolo said:

This show is doomed. Mark my words. I love Drew in Rom Coms but talk show host is NOT her forte. 

I agree.  Coincidentally, I just caught her in He's Just Not That into You on the weekend because I am one of the 10 people in the world who love this movie and will watch it whenever I come across it on tv and she is just so charming in it.  Part of her charm is her awkwardness but it is best served in smaller doses and in ensembles.  An hour of it on it's own without any context is just plain awkward. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Cementhead said:

I agree.  Coincidentally, I just caught her in He's Just Not That into You on the weekend because I am one of the 10 people in the world who love this movie and will watch it whenever I come across it on tv and she is just so charming in it.  Part of her charm is her awkwardness but it is best served in smaller doses and in ensembles.  An hour of it on it's own without any context is just plain awkward. 

I get it... I love the Wedding Singer, so it is similar for me.  

• Love 2
7 hours ago, alexa said:

Her ratings have been fairly low from some of the articles I have read, so she might not last.  It started low, and keeps getting lower...

A 38 percent drop in ratings since it began - my god! - but it was worth it all just to watch her and David Sedaris crack up over her "angry merriment".  That was a fun interview; seemed like he'd finally met somebody even odder than his own family ; )

On 11/23/2020 at 3:27 PM, alexa said:

I get it... I love the Wedding Singer, so it is similar for me.  

I HATE RomComs but damn it I love The Wedding Singer. And I hate myself for loving it and watching it every time it's on. Which is pretty much every weekend on some random channel. 

But I like it mostly for Adam Sandler. Not so much Drew

• Love 4
On 9/12/2020 at 11:00 AM, Robert Lynch said:

How do you think her show would be? 

Its something about her. The only way I can describe her is she is a DORK!!! And she is so corny! I cant stand the stupid faces she makes because they are fake. You know she doesn't act like that at hone-so dont act stupid and dorky on tv. Every time I'm about to leave for work in the a.m. and I see she is on tv, I have to run over and change the channel-even for 2 seconds bc I cant take her!!!

• LOL 2
On 11/26/2020 at 7:49 PM, Lori Agid said:

Its something about her. The only way I can describe her is she is a DORK!!! And she is so corny! I cant stand the stupid faces she makes because they are fake. You know she doesn't act like that at hone-so dont act stupid and dorky on tv. Every time I'm about to leave for work in the a.m. and I see she is on tv, I have to run over and change the channel-even for 2 seconds bc I cant take her!!!

I dunno. If someone was picking a character to play to have a successful daytime TV show, I'm not sure "dork" would be it.  It makes me skeptical of the assertion she's a fake, because... why?

I suppose you could compare her to Ellen, where allegedly her being nice is the fake thing, but that just seems like common sense if truly fakery.  Being nasty only really works (and to be honest, not really) for Wendy Williams.  Nice seems like an easy ploy to determine you need to do.  Dork?  I dunno.  She's not aiming for outright Nerd, which IS very marketable with Nerd culture so big, but what's the market for Dork?  If we perceiver her shooting for "adorable" instead, and missing the mark... maybe.  But she's a 45 year old woman.  Relying on "adorable" at that age would seem a bit unlikely too.

• Love 1

So the latest news is that they think the problem with Drew's show is that it isn't doing well against Kelly/Ryan, and so if they move it to only the afternoons, that might solve the issue?  lol.  In my market it is only on in the afternoons, and I think it would still suffer against Kelly's show--Kelly's show is a lot better (imo).  I guess they are even going to possibly get rid of the Talk to make this happen, even though the Talk has higher ratings.  (I am not standing up for the Talk, I just find it odd that they lose out on the deal when the real issue is Drew's show).  

I just don't think that it matters when Drew's show is on....it didn't take off like other talk shows did, and it is just plain weird.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

The I’ve been home with Covid so I started watching. It’s great lightweight fare and she is very real and authentic to me. Unlike Ellen who is unwatchable. 

Drew is a very bright person, I think. She has done directing and acting. She knows her stuff. She has assembled a good staff to out this together. 

• Love 3