Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E16: Cool as a Cucumber

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, dsteele said:

It's called Maritime 618. I feel sorry for the chef(s).

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2020/09/15/reality-tv-star-says-jacksonville-restaurant-will-feature-celebrity-chefs-edgy-vibe/

Here are the floor plans. Wouldn't be surprised if there was an extra chair at each table. Just in case, you know, the owner wants to check on how the guests are enjoying the food.

https://tinyurl.com/y6y6gamb

“I bought it for the location. I wasn’t thinking restaurant,” Yawn said. But now she’s planning a “really cool, vibe restaurant” with an edgy feel for younger crowd. “I am going to let the locals decide what they want, to be honest, let’s see what they want. That’s really the question, what do they want? And I want to make it affordable for everyone,” Yawn said. “I plan on bringing in celebrity chefs to the location, and I don’t know, every day is a new beginning.” Yawn said the key with opening a restaurant is flexibility. “If some things don’t work, I’ll switch gears and do something else. It’s like navigating in the sea, if it’s too windy and rough that way, I am going to alter course,” Yawn said. “That’s what I will do with the restaurant.”

--------------------------------------------

Honestly, she sounds like such an airhead. Does she have any idea how difficult the restaurant business is? Does she have any experience? This whatever-way-the-wind-blows business plan sounds completely ridiculous. And she's going to make it affordable for everyone, with celebrity chefs! Hey Sandy, I've got a unicorn farm I can let you have for a good price! Sounds like she's got just enough Bravo money to make a mess. But we'll see...I could be wrong!

Edited by Teri313
  • LOL 6
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, Teri313 said:

Honestly, she sounds like such an airhead. Does she have any idea how difficult the restaurant business is? Does she have any experience? This whatever-way-the-wind-blows business plan sounds completely ridiculous. And she's going to make it affordable for everyone, with celebrity chefs! Hey Sandy, I've got a unicorn farm I can let you have for a good price! Sounds like she's got just enough Bravo money to make a mess. But we'll see...I could be wrong!

Maybe she should bring Rob in to manage it.  It sounds like something that would come out of his mouth.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Teri313 said:

“I bought it for the location. I wasn’t thinking restaurant,” Yawn said. But now she’s planning a “really cool, vibe restaurant” with an edgy feel for younger crowd. “I am going to let the locals decide what they want, to be honest, let’s see what they want. That’s really the question, what do they want? And I want to make it affordable for everyone,” Yawn said. “I plan on bringing in celebrity chefs to the location, and I don’t know, every day is a new beginning.” Yawn said the key with opening a restaurant is flexibility. “If some things don’t work, I’ll switch gears and do something else. It’s like navigating in the sea, if it’s too windy and rough that way, I am going to alter course,” Yawn said. “That’s what I will do with the restaurant.”

In Anthony Bourdain's book "Kitchen Confidential" he has special disdain for celebrities or with no chef training or restaurant experience opening places as vanity projects. All the things he talks about, Sandy's quote seems to illustrate why. 

Edited by candle96
  • LOL 2
  • Love 14

Hello, and welcome to Maritime 618! I'm your host and owner, Captain Sandy.

Um, thank you. We'd like a table for two, please.

No problem. <snaps fingers> This is your bosu... I mean, your server Malia. She'll show you to your table.

<Malia seats guests> Here are your menus and I'll be glad to take your drink orders. Oh, and just so you know, my boyfriend is the chef and I know he'll take really good care of you.

<guest points at menu> Uh, excuse me but we were really looking forward to having some nachos and I don't see them on the menu. Is there any way the chef could cook some up?

<Malia looks around nervously> Well, I'm not sure. Here, let me go ask Captain Sandy - but I'm sure it won't be a problem.

<Captain Sandy storms over to table and confronts guests> Are you kidding me? This is a joke, right?!? You're in this incredible new restaurant with a Michelin star chef and you want... friggin' nachos?!?!? Get the hell out of my restaurant RIGHT NOW!! <Shakes head in disgust>

• LOL 10
  • Love 2

In an interview on the BD Med After Show, Tom admitted he shouldn't have blamed Aesha for the cucumber debacle. But everything else he said proves what pompous dick he is. His giant ego and disdain for the rest of the crew is disgusting. This is from the recap:

Tom admitted during the After Show that he misdirected his anger in that instance. "I snapped at Aesha for that, and it's not her fault," Tom said, before noting, "But we all know where cucumbers are kept, more likely than not in the fridge. The knives are on display on a magnet. There's always a chopping board very visibly there, whether it's a chef one or one that the interior use for chopping lemons and limes, so just do it. Yeah, I don't know. It's frustrating anyway."

The incident also opened Tom's eyes. "I mean, what can I say? Clearly, I'm the only person on the boat that can chop a cucumber," he said. "That's pretty much what I get from it."

This is the link for the video and recap: https://www.bravotv.com/the-daily-dish/aesha-scott-tom-checketts-cucumber-fight-below-deck-med-recap

16 minutes ago, Jsage said:

Tom admitted during the After Show that he misdirected his anger in that instance. "I snapped at Aesha for that, and it's not her fault," Tom said, before noting, "But we all know where cucumbers are kept, more likely than not in the fridge. The knives are on display on a magnet. There's always a chopping board very visibly there, whether it's a chef one or one that the interior use for chopping lemons and limes, so just do it. Yeah, I don't know. It's frustrating anyway."

His explanation is ridiculous because the only person who knew about the cucumbers beside the guests was Sandy so she is the only person his explanation would apply to but he would never call her out by name for not doing it.

Also, there or elsewhere he admitted that the only person who knew he was on break was Malia which since she was also on a break wasn’t helpful.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, candle96 said:

In Anthony Bourdain's book "Kitchen Confidential" he has special disdain for celebrities or with no chef training or restaurant experience opening places as vanity projects. All the things he talks about, Sandy's quote seems to illustrate why. 

I guess, but you don't have to be a celebrity to be clueless enough to open a failing restaurant.  A lot of people who open failing restaurants are chefs.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Jsage said:

In an interview on the BD Med After Show, Tom admitted he shouldn't have blamed Aesha for the cucumber debacle. But everything else he said proves what pompous dick he is. His giant ego and disdain for the rest of the crew is disgusting. This is from the recap:

The incident also opened Tom's eyes. "I mean, what can I say? Clearly, I'm the only person on the boat that can chop a cucumber," he said. "That's pretty much what I get from it."

This is the link for the video and recap: https://www.bravotv.com/the-daily-dish/aesha-scott-tom-checketts-cucumber-fight-below-deck-med-recap

There is so little wiggle room in Tom's world for forgiveness, for leeway, for mistakes on the part of others, for misunderstandings, for human error - the fact that he is holding on to this stupid, insignificant little cucumber incident so tightly makes me wonder how he handles big stuff. I think Malia has her future cut out for her as - at the least - an emotionally abused wife who is always walking on egg shells, never wanting to rock his intolerant little boat. Always afraid of setting off that hair trigger temper of his. What is in this for her? She can say she's the girlfriend/wife of the chef? Big friggin' deal.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
On 9/17/2020 at 1:37 AM, Kdawg82 said:

No one?...really...? Ok. I'm going for it.

Tom was not in the kitchen preparing cucumber for the guests because he was too busy serving up cucumber to Malia over in their cabin.

I'll see myself out. 🤐

I just wonder how Sandy would have responded if Hannah and her bosun were having their break together - in bed. 

• Useful 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10

Perhaps Capt Shady isn't going to actually manage the restaurant, she has a business partner.  Maybe Shady's going to cont to live in Colo with her girlfriend and is really trying to use her "celebrity" to brand the restaurant.  It's obvious from her behavior interacting inappropriately with charter guests, harranging and stalking her chef that she is clueless herself about what it would take to make a successful restaurant. And not to mention her ridiculous obsession with those tacky tablescapes straight from Party City. She hasn't mentioned that future guests can look forward to cheapy confetti, plastic noise makers and party hats, face painting, etc.  Yeah, that would fit a "younger and edgy" vibe...  Maybe have a signature 618 Maritime drink, too.  Like a Shirley Temple.

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, 1Seattlekitten said:

It's obvious from her behavior interacting inappropriately with charter guests, harranging and stalking her chef that she is clueless herself about what it would take to make a successful restaurant.

and an episode or two back-- all she cared about was whether Damon's food was HOT. But was it HOT? 

Not whether he liked it. I mean, that kind of tunnel vision is not what makes a successful restaurant.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
25 minutes ago, LoreliLee said:

She really looks different

Wow! I saw the top picture and thought "that looks the same." Then saw the social media post and..... "Is that Malia? Or someone else??? Not the same person!! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
38 minutes ago, LoreliLee said:

Did she have some plastic surgery? Lip injections? She really looks different & that’s not just due to the blonde hair. 

She looks awful!  It's the true Malia coming out 🙂 

If she had surgery or injections, she should demand a refund.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

If she had surgery or injections, she should demand a refund.

I was trying to figure out what had (specifically) changed-- and it seems like her rather cute cheekbones are gone. IMHO that was one of her best features.

• Love 1

To me personally, the only person I would have a beer with on this crew is Pete.

He is straight forward, works hard and speaks his mind. Nowadays everybody if full of "freedom of speech, "equal rights", blah blah blah.

I am all for that too, but to be honest, who is behaving more bad? Malia or Pete?

To me, the behaviour of Malia is beyond disgusting and Captain Sandy is even worse. To me, the way they run the vessel is totally sexist. But that can not be called like that, right? Malia is so disgusting, it will cost Bravo viewers.

Is it right for some gay guests to request for male crew members to dress up like a drag queens or make sexist remarks about the sexy male deck hands? And if the crew member refuses, then he is a homophobe? Is that how it works? Malia can not be called sweetheart by Pete but Malia can call Pete "boy"?

Give me a break,. that is not called democracy nor freedom of speech to me.

Pete, if you are ever in Dubrovnik, Croatia, beer is on me...

• Love 5
1 hour ago, LoreliLee said:

Did she have some plastic surgery? Lip injections? She really looks different & that’s not just due to the blonde hair. 

Never trust IG photos posted by the person. The FaceTuning and other filters available is crazy. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 9/20/2020 at 4:29 AM, 1Seattlekitten said:

Perhaps Capt Shady isn't going to actually manage the restaurant, she has a business partner.  Maybe Shady's going to cont to live in Colo with her girlfriend and is really trying to use her "celebrity" to brand the restaurant.  It's obvious from her behavior interacting inappropriately with charter guests, harranging and stalking her chef that she is clueless herself about what it would take to make a successful restaurant. And not to mention her ridiculous obsession with those tacky tablescapes straight from Party City. She hasn't mentioned that future guests can look forward to cheapy confetti, plastic noise makers and party hats, face painting, etc.  Yeah, that would fit a "younger and edgy" vibe...  Maybe have a signature 618 Maritime drink, too.  Like a Shirley Temple.

Sandy is a boat captain, and a bad manager.

She is the same as a bus driver, but she drives a boat instead of a bus,

She has NO IDEA about cooking, 5 star service or whatsoever. This can be clearly seen by her annoying behaviour when asking the guests over and over again if the food is good as if she was the Chief stew. She actually is putting negativity in the guests mouth by questioning them over and over again. 

If I was a millionaire renting a yacht, I would not want to sail on a boat with her standing next to my table 99.9% of the time asking me after every bite of food if the taste was good.......

Captain Glenn or Captain Lee are real Captains, well above the McDonalds standard of Sandy.

What the hell is it also with those over the top table decorations? Way too much shit on the table, distracting the focus from the food, and also not too hygienic. Every person wanting to present 5 star service should know that.

• Love 10
On 9/17/2020 at 11:36 AM, Teri313 said:

I grew up in Jacksonville.  The only benefit of that location was the lunch crowd from all the people working downtown at Bank of America, Prudential and a few other big companies. With some companies moving to permanent WFH, lunch business will not carry the restaurant and no one wants to venture there at night. First, it’s not a safe area. Second, most of Jacksonville has to cross a bridge or two to get downtown. We  always joked once we’re over the bridge, there’s no turning back. That’s why the Jacksonville Landing, once a “food mecca“ in the heart of Downtown Jax closed. Clearly she did zero market research. She’s a know-it-all who thinks she didn’t need it. 

• Useful 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Milan said:

What the hell is it also with those over the top table decorations? Way too much shit on the table, distracting the focus from the food, and also not too hygienic. Every person wanting to present 5 star service should know that.

No kidding. I looked up table decorations on other charter yachts and they’re beautiful and elegant. Bugsy’s tablescapes look like rejects from a Chuck E. Cheese.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, GreyBunny said:

No kidding. I looked up table decorations on other charter yachts and they’re beautiful and elegant. Bugsy’s tablescapes look like rejects from a Chuck E. Cheese.

Looks like she really understands Captain Sandy's taste.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
On 9/17/2020 at 4:43 PM, Teri313 said:

There is so little wiggle room in Tom's world for forgiveness, for leeway, for mistakes on the part of others, for misunderstandings, for human error - the fact that he is holding on to this stupid, insignificant little cucumber incident so tightly makes me wonder how he handles big stuff. I think Malia has her future cut out for her as - at the least - an emotionally abused wife who is always walking on egg shells, never wanting to rock his intolerant little boat. Always afraid of setting off that hair trigger temper of his. What is in this for her? She can say she's the girlfriend/wife of the chef? Big friggin' deal.

AND...if Malia has never seen these little tantrums before, she needs to bow out now or forever hold her peace (I so-wanted to spell "piece").

• LOL 2
On 9/17/2020 at 2:05 PM, biakbiak said:

His explanation is ridiculous because the only person who knew about the cucumbers beside the guests was Sandy so she is the only person his explanation would apply to but he would never call her out by name for not doing it.

Tom is the prima donna-type who would have a hissy fit upon learning that anyone "other than a professional yacht chef" opened a veggie bin, used one of HIS knives, and served cucumber to a guest (inappropriately cut, of course).

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
On 9/16/2020 at 8:39 AM, dleighg said:

I'm an old married lady but I don't get it either. I think neither of them is very smart, or remotely capable of communicating thoughts more complicated that "I wanna suck face with you"

At least Jess proved (heh heh) to Andy Cohen's audience that she's NOT jealous by getting every answer correct to a little, "Would you be jealous if...."   Oh, she's DEFINITELY jealous.  She also "explained" that the show didn't really demonstrate what "an amazing woman" she is.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • LOL 4
On 9/21/2020 at 11:57 PM, GreyBunny said:

Bugsy has actually won awards at yacht shows for her tablescapes. I think it's just easier to realize that there's a certain segment of the yachting industry that likes those tacky Sandra Lee-esque tablescapes because it's an easy way to communicate with guests that you're doing something above and beyond what the guests would normally expect. If the tables have lovely tasteful flower arrangements, the guests don't know if you did that or the florist did. The weird craftiness of communicates that the stews made it and should be rewarded for their efforts.

• Love 4
On 9/21/2020 at 11:57 PM, GreyBunny said:

I think Sandy equates elegant with gaudy. The guests on this show request tacky parties, drink cases of booze and act like frat party felons. I’m surprised that some of them they can even find the table. I know most of them probably can’t spell table. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
On 9/16/2020 at 3:02 PM, 65mickey said:

Jesus they had to do a lenghty clip with Sandy, Malia, and production all agreeing that this was not Tom's fault.  Oh the horrors of waking up Tom even though he didn't tell anyone but Malia that he was going on a break. The stews didn't know that. Sandy even threw Bugs under the bus and said it was the job of the chief stew to tend to the guests and anticipate their every desire.  So now if Tom and Malia want to "nap" Bugs and the rest of interior better get with making those snacks. I never saw such ringing of hands over letting us know  that Tom was the innocent victim in this . 

All the talk about the Michelin Star chef. Please! If Tm has a Michelin star, it’s from selling tires.  Sandy is just so fucking despicable! I hate her more every episode.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
14 hours ago, nytonc said:

I think Sandy equates elegant with gaudy. The guests on this show request tacky parties, drink cases of booze and act like frat party felons. I’m surprised that some of them they can even find the table. I know most of them probably can’t spell table. 

I would imagine the people who are really doing these superlux yacht vacations WITHOUT Bravo around have considerably different taste than the ones we get ot see. Most of these cavons are wearing a tee shirt the plugs their stupid business, they arrive wearing ostentatious clothes, they're clearly auditioning for their own spin off. Chances are most of these jerks have never been on a real no-tv superyacht vacation. 

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, Uncle JUICE said:

I would imagine the people who are really doing these superlux yacht vacations WITHOUT Bravo around have considerably different taste than the ones we get ot see. Most of these cavons are wearing a tee shirt the plugs their stupid business, they arrive wearing ostentatious clothes, they're clearly auditioning for their own spin off. Chances are most of these jerks have never been on a real no-tv superyacht vacation. 

I probably have asked this before ... but would a a real no-tv super-yacht vacation include demands from guests for "theme" nights where the staff have to dress up in weird outfits?    That just seems ... not something that would actually happen.   I know when I have my own super-yacht vacation (ha!), I would not be asking for that.   I'd also expect the yacht to be moving most of the time, weather permitting of course,

• Love 3
On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 8:37 AM, NannyBails said:

I probably have asked this before ... but would a a real no-tv super-yacht vacation include demands from guests for "theme" nights where the staff have to dress up in weird outfits?    That just seems ... not something that would actually happen.   I know when I have my own super-yacht vacation (ha!), I would not be asking for that.   I'd also expect the yacht to be moving most of the time, weather permitting of course,

I found this article and apparently theme nights are a thing on yachts...babysitting not so much!

https://www.superyachtsmonaco.com/news/1271-yacht-charter-etiquette-dos-and-don-ts

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 9/21/2020 at 6:27 PM, Milan said:

To me personally, the only person I would have a beer with on this crew is Pete.

He is straight forward, works hard and speaks his mind. Nowadays everybody if full of "freedom of speech, "equal rights", blah blah blah.

I am all for that too, but to be honest, who is behaving more bad? Malia or Pete?

To me, the behaviour of Malia is beyond disgusting and Captain Sandy is even worse. To me, the way they run the vessel is totally sexist. But that can not be called like that, right? Malia is so disgusting, it will cost Bravo viewers.

Is it right for some gay guests to request for male crew members to dress up like a drag queens or make sexist remarks about the sexy male deck hands? And if the crew member refuses, then he is a homophobe? Is that how it works? Malia can not be called sweetheart by Pete but Malia can call Pete "boy"?

Give me a break,. that is not called democracy nor freedom of speech to me.

Pete, if you are ever in Dubrovnik, Croatia, beer is on me...

Pete wasn’t fired for his behavior on board The Wellington. He reposted a Tweet about a naked black women in shackles in a non consensual sexual situation. He posted it as a joke. Rape jokes aren’t funny. 
This may be what you are looking for in a drinking partner, it may not be, but you should have the full picture of the person you are backing as the best of the bunch.

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, NYCFree said:

Pete wasn’t fired for his behavior on board The Wellington. He reposted a Tweet about a naked black women in shackles in a non consensual sexual situation. He posted it as a joke. Rape jokes aren’t funny. 
This may be what you are looking for in a drinking partner, it may not be, but you should have the full picture of the person you are backing as the best of the bunch.

I do not know what he reposted, sounds a bit dumb to me from his side,  but hey, the guy is a deck hand and not a Nobel prize candidate.

Do you have any idea what "guys" on a vessel talk about, and pictures they share? The regular guys are certainly not like Rob (talking about his feelings and shit_

If it was a joke, then I do not see the problem about it. The internet and especially TV is full of racist things.

When Jamie Foxx shoots and kills about 750 white people in "Jango unchained" then this is not racism? A typical racist science fiction hate movie in my eyes, but I have never heard anybody complaining. If it was a white guy (pictured as a hero, just like Jamie Foxx is) killing 750 black people then there would be demonstrations all over the place right? Look at any black stand up comedian show , full of racism.

To me it is a bit childish to cut Pete out of the series for a stupid repost of a non tasteful joke.

Again, I do not know what Pete posted but give him a break.

Pete, come to Dubrovnik,Croatia, we will have a beer....

3 minutes ago, Milan said:
58 minutes ago, NYCFree said:

I do not know what he reposted, sounds a bit dumb to me from his side,  but hey, the guy is a deck hand and not a Nobel prize candidate.

Do you have any idea what "guys" on a vessel talk about, and pictures they share?

In addition to Pete’s meme which wasn’t just a repost was also extremely racist and wasn’t the only problematic garbage he posted.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, biakbiak said:

In addition to Pete’s meme which wasn’t just a repost was also extremely racist and wasn’t the only problematic garbage he posted.

Do you have a link about these posts with more information?

Interested to know what exactly he posted that was so racist. I live in a country with no coloured people, so racism to me is strange because we in Croatia do not have these problems.

Dubrovnik, the city I live in was a independent state in the middle ages and the first European country that forbid slavery.

I only see racism in US TV programs (mostly). 

1 hour ago, Milan said:

If it was a white guy (pictured as a hero, just like Jamie Foxx is) killing 750 black people then there would be demonstrations all over the place right? Look at any black stand up comedian show , full of racism.

As you seem to be sincere in your questions, I will point out that the more nuanced definition of racism is "prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized," with the last clause being the most important one.  It's about power over, not about hate per se.  So someone could be prejudiced or biased toward or against white people, but white people do not suffer from systemic racism.  White women can suffer from systemic sexism; older people can suffer from systemic ageism; the disabled can suffer from systemic ableism; the poor can suffer from classism; etc.   From the descriptions I have read, Pete posted an image that harkened back to US slavery and was extremely violent toward black women in its content.  It was in no way a mere microaggression (whose effect, especially cumulatively, is also horrible) such as "hurr hurr Malia's a great bosun but have you seen her bosom?"  (Just made that up, it's dopey but an example).  

In the comedian situation you describe, the comedy works because the people hearing it all have the same experience of feeling the results of racism, and the comedian is "hitting up," mocking those more powerful than they are.  "Hitting down" is a different matter.

Also, I'm very impressed at the bit of Dubrovnik's history you shared, but none of us can rest on our laurels based on our history.  I'm an American Quaker, a religion that has a strong history of supporting abolition of slavery actively, but a) there were also Quaker enslavers and b) we are mostly white in the US and therefore prone to unrecognized, systemic racism just like other groups and congregations.  We're working on it.  It's insidious.  I just googled "racism in Croatia" and though as you say it is nowhere near as polarized as in the US, and it and hate speech may be directed toward other groups (LGBT, Roma) it is not nonexistent and needs to be fought wherever it is found, around the world.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, Milan said:

Do you have any idea what "guys" on a vessel talk about, and pictures they share? The regular guys are certainly not like Rob (talking about his feelings and shit_

If it was a joke, then I do not see the problem about it. The internet and especially TV is full of racist things.

When Jamie Foxx shoots and kills about 750 white people in "Jango unchained" then this is not racism? A typical racist science fiction hate movie in my eyes, but I have never heard anybody complaining. If it was a white guy (pictured as a hero, just like Jamie Foxx is) killing 750 black people then there would be demonstrations all over the place right? Look at any black stand up comedian show , full of racism.

To me it is a bit childish to cut Pete out of the series for a stupid repost of a non tasteful joke.

Again, I do not know what Pete posted but give him a break.

Pete, come to Dubrovnik,Croatia, we will have a beer....

Milan, Dubrovnik is one of the most beautiful places I have visited. That said, since you know that you have literally no idea about the history and current social repercussions of slavery, perhaps you could realize you are not in a good position to determine anything at all about what is appropriate in this context.

I would never presume to enter into a discussion with you about ethnic cleansing that occurred during the war in your country not long ago. If someone made a “joke” about it, and was then fired, I wouldn’t try to tell you to give them a break and welcome them for a drink.

You must also see that Django (a fictional character) was absurdist. The character was also a slave, killing the members of the group that literally owned and tortured him.

• Love 11
58 minutes ago, NYCFree said:

Milan, Dubrovnik is one of the most beautiful places I have visited. That said, since you know that you have literally no idea about the history and current social repercussions of slavery, perhaps you could realize you are not in a good position to determine anything at all about what is appropriate in this context.

I would never presume to enter into a discussion with you about ethnic cleansing that occurred during the war in your country not long ago. If someone made a “joke” about it, and was then fired, I wouldn’t try to tell you to give them a break and welcome them for a drink.

You must also see that Django (a fictional character) was absurdist. The character was also a slave, killing the members of the group that literally owned and tortured him.

Exactly, and much more concise than anything I would have replied - also more polite. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Jobiska said:

Also, I'm very impressed at the bit of Dubrovnik's history you shared, but none of us can rest on our laurels based on our history.  I'm an American Quaker, a religion that has a strong history of supporting abolition of slavery actively, but a) there were also Quaker enslavers and b) we are mostly white in the US and therefore prone to unrecognized, systemic racism just like other groups and congregations.  We're working on it.  It's insidious.  I just googled "racism in Croatia" and though as you say it is nowhere near as polarized as in the US, and it and hate speech may be directed toward other groups (LGBT, Roma) it is not nonexistent and needs to be fought wherever it is found, around the world.

Yes , Dubrovnik abolished slavery in 1416 (500 years before the USA). At the time the senate of Dubrovnik called slavery shameful, disgraceful and against human dignity. It was punishable by law. As far as the hate speech in Croatia today, this depends where you go and how you behave. There is no racism towards blacks or Asians because there are very few and we do not have a colonial past or immigrants.

Since Dubrovnik is touristic there are also many people from the LGBT community visiting. In general there might be very isolated cases of somebody being rude against Gays, but I am sure that it is much less then in many other countries. 

Come and visit.

5 hours ago, Jobiska said:

So someone could be prejudiced or biased toward or against white people, but white people do not suffer from systemic racism.

I do not agree on this sentence.

Look at the situation in some African countries such as South Africa and Zimbabwe. But this is not so much in the media.

I know this because a lot of my colleagues come from there, and many of them are emigrating to other countries now.

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, Milan said:

I call it freedom of speech and freedom of opinion. A young guy like Pete is now pictured as a racist for re sharing  one stupid picture on Instagram? And his carrier ruined? Come on guys......

freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences. If bravo does not want to be tied down by these statements, it's their freedom to set him free. That's how it goes. You are free to think that it sucks. But that's how it goes.

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, dleighg said:

freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences. If bravo does not want to be tied down by these statements, it's their freedom to set him free. That's how it goes. You are free to think that it sucks. But that's how it goes.

Exactly. He also initially doubled down and refused to apologize and even reposted it and bragged that there was no way he could be edited out because he was so integral to the show. It also wasn’t the only thing on his IG that was trash and he is a covid denying idiot who was also a misogynistic creepy asshat on the show. Good riddance.

• Love 6
50 minutes ago, NannyBails said:

Thanks!  Quite interesting.  I don't think the following line applies to Below Deck chefs, though:

"And many chefs will be happy to create kid-friendly dishes to tempt even the pickiest eater."

Probably true.  But if you want some dishes thrown a Below Deck chef would be your guy (or gal)...LOL!

• LOL 1

Jess needs to DUMP the wandering dick known as ROB before he ROBS her of her heart!! When a man CLAIMS he is in an open relationship, he is telling you he cannot commit, he will cheat and he will call you JEALOUS when it is really disgust and being sickened by your behavior. Clearly he is still texting with his real GF off the boat, and neither Jess nor this GF know the Open Relationship Rob is messing with the other. 

If he claims Open, RUN RUN RUN to respect yourself, women!!!!!!!!!!!