Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
saber5055

Season 37 Final Jeopardy Contest

Recommended Posts


Me:

13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Friday's answer was King James (James I of England, James VI of Scotland). Just assuming you said James IV for Friday.

You: "I said James VI."

I have fixed my dyslexic "IV" in the above post. The correct answers for Friday are James, James I and James VI. James IV would be incorrect. I already know I'm a half-witted idiot, so I just said "James" for my FJ answer.

@Ailianna, I hope your coming week is better and things go well. Sorry to hear about a crummy last week ... at least that's in the past now, right?

Edited by saber5055
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, saber5055 said:
37 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

 

14 hours ago, saber5055 said:

 

 

@Ailianna, I hope your coming week is better and things go well. Sorry to hear about a crummy last week ... at least that's in the past now, right?

Thanks saber! I lost a pet and work was awful (though I am still grateful to have work to be awful, all things considered). But this next week has to be better, right? 

  • Sad 8

Share this post


Link to post

@Ailianna, I am so, so sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is like losing a family member, and in some cases, worse. It takes time to get over, if one ever does. But think about the happy times you shared and the good memories, and knowing your pet had a great life. **HUGS** to you.

Work usually does s*ck, which, I guess, is why it's called work. I hope the sun comes out for you this week and you get a few days of bright sunshine, inside and out.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

1/5* - back at my usual place at the table for one!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Week 34:  2/5  0*   Overall:  87/170   13*

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Hi table for 1 (no asterisks).   I missed you!   But I'm back having known only James I.  And as my gift for the table I shall bring Scotch Eggs.

 

Edited by bybrandy
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

4/5 - no * - my brain was going all over the European continent for Thursday but I don't think I ever would have gotten to Andorra - as someone else said, it is one of those countries that when I hear of it (which is infrequently), it always takes a second to remember if it is real or fictional.  Having read about it this week after the FJ question, it sounds like it might be an interesting place to visit.

In honor and memory of Mother Grundoon, I wish Happy Mothers' Day to all the mothers on the site and make a request to those who still have their mothers with them to cherish them and hug them hard as soon as it can be done safely.  You will not regret it. 

I have another Sangria recipe to bring to the table for 4 - this time white wine based.  Cheers Everyone!  

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I'm with @Grundoon59 about the Andorra-being-real-or-imaginary thing. I picked imaginary.

Hugs to Grundoon and everyone else thinking of and missing their mothers today. ***HUGS***

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

18 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

4/5 - no * - my brain was going all over the European continent for Thursday but I don't think I ever would have gotten to Andorra - as someone else said, it is one of those countries that when I hear of it (which is infrequently), it always takes a second to remember if it is real or fictional.  Having read about it this week after the FJ question, it sounds like it might be an interesting place to visit.

I believe that was me. 😊

16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I'm with @Grundoon59 about the Andorra-being-real-or-imaginary thing. I picked imaginary.

It's stuck in my head as imaginary, I can't seem to shake it out. Maybe I should read about it, like @Grundoon59 did.

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

Hugs gratefully accepted @saber5055 - yesterday was a bit hard (I think last year I was still a bit numb) but I got through it. 

Re: Andorra - I knew I read the fictional thing somewhere but couldn't find it when I was posting so thanks @Clanstarling!

I haven't done Spain at all or the section of France that approaches Andorra (when I have been lucky enough to travel there, it has been more Paris and then toward Switzerland - a lovely summer studying French in Evian when I was in high school) but it sounds like the country benefited to some degree by being inaccessible all tucked up in the Pyrenees and for me the most fascinating fact is that the President of France is considered a Prince of Andorra which sounds like a Jeopardy question in the making. 

Edited by Grundoon59 · Reason: Monday brain - forgot a whole comment I meant to include
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

4/5 with 1*. I don't know what it means that I knew Andorra but not Horace Greeley. 

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

@theartandsound, "Look away, I'm hideous" is one of my favorite quotes. I use it often regarding my own appearance, and I'm not making that up. True story.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

@theartandsound, "Look away, I'm hideous" is one of my favorite quotes. I use it often regarding my own appearance, and I'm not making that up. True story.

I'm sure you're not hideous.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, theartandsound said:

I'm sure you're not hideous.

Well, considering my avatar is my driver's license photo ...

  • Laugh 11

Share this post


Link to post

I've mentioned this before...a great resource for learning the countries is "Countries of the World" on jetpunk.com

  • Like 1
  • Useful 4

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Well, considering my avatar is my driver's license photo ...

In that case you’re 100% adorable! 

I will bring a tres leches cake for the table for tres. 

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
58 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

I will bring a tres leches cake for the table for tres. 

Boo! I will never make it to that table. Table for 2 is going hungry if I am suppose to bring anything edible by the general public. Counting on @Mindthinkr to save us.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Boo! I will never make it to that table. Table for 2 is going hungry if I am suppose to bring anything edible by the general public. Counting on @Mindthinkr to save us.

I’ll pass a piece over to you on the sly 🤫

  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

TAH TAH TAH! (Can't think of anything to rhyme with Monday.) The Winner of Week 34 has been selected. This week we have one standout, a player who, when I reviewed the scores of the past few weeks, I discovered has been recording scores in Morse code, unbeknownst to me, for seven weeks ... dot dot dash dash dash dot dot. Of course that's something meaningful, but it's in code so the real meaning is @GrannySmith's secret. Yes, I said GRANNYSMITH! The standout winner of Week 34. No one else was even close, so this award is all yours GrannySmith, all yours. No sharing, just enjoying. For a full week. Or longer, if you wish. Congratulations my friend! And here is your special certificate to document YOUR WEEK and make it official. Enjoy!

763171614_morse_230copy.jpg.f908ecbede8e5ee9c80a40ae254348ad.jpg

 

Edited by saber5055 · Reason: Samuel has only one a.
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, saber5055 said:

TAH TAH TAH! (Can't think of anything to rhyme with Monday.) The Winner of Week 34 has been selected. This week we have one standout, a player who, when I reviewed the scores of the past few weeks, I discovered has been recording scores in Morse code, unbeknownst to me, for seven weeks ... dot dot dash dash dash dot dot. Of course that's something meaningful, but it's in code so the real meaning is @GrannySmith's secret. Yes, I said GRANNYSMITH! The standout winner of Week 34. No one else was even close, so this award is all yours GrannySmith, all yours. No sharing, just enjoying. For a full week. Or longer, if you wish. Congratulations my friend! And here is your special certificate to document YOUR WEEK and make it official. Enjoy!1971277626_morse_230copy.jpg.12a31c7d84483a91e1bdd0083ab963e0.jpg

What an honor!  Thank you so much. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I've mentioned this before...a great resource for learning the countries is "Countries of the World" on jetpunk.com

I spend a lot of time on Jetpunk (because of your previous mention), but I still shy away from the countries quizzes.

 

  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I spend a lot of time on Jetpunk (because of your previous mention), but I still shy away from the countries quizzes.

But ... Andorra.

  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

1 minute ago, Clanstarling said:

LOL. I did look it up, and should be able to keep it in my mind now. 😊

But is the Pete Seeger song (my link) stuck in your mind now too?

"I want to go to Andorra, Andorra, Andorra ..."

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

But is the Pete Seeger song (my link) stuck in your mind now too?

"I want to go to Andorra, Andorra, Andorra ..."

Yes, as it happens. I didn't realize it would be when I answered before. 😆

Share this post


Link to post

2/5. Thank goodness for Thursday and Friday; I did *not* have a good start to the week.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Week 35: 5/5.  You could have knocked me over with a Carson.
Total so far: 125/175, 23*.
 

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

On 5/10/2021 at 2:58 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

I've mentioned this before...a great resource for learning the countries is "Countries of the World" on jetpunk.com

I took those country quizzes a MILLION times during quarantine.
Real exciting stuff was happening around here.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

WEEK 35 • May 10, 2021 — NO asterisk
171. U.S. History. On April 7, 1789 Charles Thomson & Sylvanus Bourne left New York City to tell these 2 men the results of a vote taken the day before.
172. Books of the Bible. Its last chapter includes wisdom from King Lemuel, taught to him by his mother, as well as the famous “Virtuous Woman” passage.
173. World's Fairs. The theme of Seattle’s 1962 World’s Fair was “Man in the” this era.
174. Children’s Books. The last book Dr. Seuss published in his lifetime, it climbs bestseller lists every spring.
175. World Capitals. A national capital for less than 100 years, it’s the westernmost capital in mainland Asia.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

1/5. I think I’m going to make individual chicken pot pies (straying slightly because I prefer a puff pastry crust vs a regular pie crust) and a nice white Sancerre wine. @opus and @GrannySmithis that ok with y’all? 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Week 35: 4/5  no *

YTD: 79/175 thirteen*

I would blame missing Friday’s FJ on the tooth extraction I had earlier in the day, but the truth is, I had no idea.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Because I wanted to make it to the T41 again, and @Mindthinkr's puff-pastry-poultry pot pies (alliteration!) convinced me to do this, I'm combining two halves of my FJ answers to make one correct one: Space (Race) and (Istanbul) Turkey. I can do this because I'm not keeping any of the contest prizes, they are all for yous guys (Chicago-ism) so my scores mean nothing. Plus, I'm in need of some good company, and the T41 is the prime spot for that this week.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Week 35:  3/5  no *   Overall:  90/175  13*

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

2/5 but almost 4, if "should have gotten that" counts. Which it doesn't.

It's still good for my ego to think that in another week it would have been better.

Edited by Ailianna
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size