Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E01: Cake Week

• Start Topic

On 10/1/2020 at 8:00 AM, Pepper Mostly said:

If you have't already, google "Alfie Boe and Matt Lucas youtube", you'll find some great clips! Here's my favorite, they're hanging out doing karaoke at Matt's place: 

I did not realize who Alfie Boe is -- I mean, I know who he is from the 25th Anniversary of Les Mis, but I guess I just never knew his name/knew HIM. And I am utterly in love. And I never expect Matt to have such an amazing voice and its always such a wonderful surprise. 

Edited by SailorGirl
  • Love 3
On 9/27/2020 at 1:28 AM, ShortyMac said:

SO glad this is back. GBBO is one thing that COVID can't take from us!

I love Lottie, Peter, and Rowan!

The Freddie Mercury bust was adorable!

I liked when they referred to the Bob Marley sponge cake as Sponge Bob.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8

So happy they found a way to film, and the show is back!  This made my week. A balm for difficult times. It’ll be interesting to see how or if the isolation in the bubble affects the bakers’ performance and emotional fortitude as the season goes on. 

I laughed so hard at a cake bust of bill Bryson!  😂 and omg lupita’s face!  Freddie’s head not going on!  Sura’s  reclining bust!  

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, LucindaWalsh said:

Sigh. I have the worst case of puppy love for that guy.

I am a lady of a certain age and I love him too. My husband (who does not watch the show) came in and saw him and was like "who is that weirdo?" (Perhaps needless to say, Noel is the complete opposite to my husband looks-wise, and style-wise). 

5 hours ago, LucindaWalsh said:

Lottie is the one with her hair in her face right? I get that they are a bit ramshackle in appearance while in the tent but in one of her talking heads she had her hair perfectly styled, shiny, and off her face and looked beautiful. She could for sure spritz a bit of spray on the fly aways while baking. 

All she really needs is a headband!

I was trying to figure out why she had so many long strands of hair hanging in her eyes. Is she growing out bangs so that they match the length of the rest of her hair (which I've done and it seems to take FOREVER)? Because I can't imagine going to a salon for a haircut and telling them to make sure to cut the front strands of my hair longer than my eyes but shorter than the rest of my hair.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, LucindaWalsh said:

The guy who had his cakes tossed on the ground because of an oblivious to others around her teammate gives me serial killer vibes. There is something off in his eyes. Perfectly nice guy it seems though. 

So glad I'm not the only one. He is...intense. I felt bad for him but also won't be sad when he goes. I don't hate him but he's the bottom of this pack for me. Mainly because he seems one burnt cookie away from snapping. Even when he is "happy" he still seems really intense. Maybe he's just constipated. IDK. They can't go home during the week and it is sometimes hard to go in unfamiliar bathrooms. haha

• Love 2

Just catching up, I watched the last season in four days. I already prefer this one, way more personality in the tent. The showstopper challenge was brilliant. I usually don't care to see such failures but omg I was laughing so hard at some of those. Poor Bowie, Freddie, and Lupita. It was awesome.

My dad used to make the best pineapple upside down cake in a Dutch oven over the fire when we'd go camping. No freaking cream on the top or whatever the hell that sauce was. Just no.

I don't know names yet but I'm already liking the guy that made Marie Antoinette. I just know he's gonna be one of those attempt too much types, but I like his personality.

• Love 2

Youtube recommended a video for me today that more or less sums up what I want to see for the showstopper challenge: A creative idea for a simple brief (a tart with a jelly layer, for example) It looks so pretty and thats something that a home baker could be tempted to try.

To be fair, they tried to give them such a challenge when they asked for mirror glazed cakes, probably hoping for the colourful, galaxy stuff you see on Buzzfeed and Pinterest, but most of the bakers ended up doing plain tempered chocolate glazes.

Edited by Aulty
On 9/28/2020 at 3:42 PM, laurakaye said:

I found it funny how Matt was standing right there at each judging, noshing on everyone's cakes like it was no big deal.  I often wondered how the hosts resisted tasting the bakes alongside Prue and Paul.  If that's me?  I want to try EVERYTHING.

In other countries' versions, the hosts often do eat along with the judges. I always wondered why they don't on this one. I think once I recall Noel as being vegan. (Didn't he choose vegan week as a theme in his first season?) That might be why he doesn't try the bakes. I certainly would, if I were a host.  

2 hours ago, TrixieTrue said:

In other countries' versions, the hosts often do eat along with the judges. I always wondered why they don't on this one. I think once I recall Noel as being vegan. (Didn't he choose vegan week as a theme in his first season?) That might be why he doesn't try the bakes. I certainly would, if I were a host.  

Mel and Sue used to often grab a bite after the judges had theirs. I think it's just Noel's preference not to, which is fine. I remember many times Mel or Sue would grab the plate (or a few of whatever) to take with them because they loved the bake so much. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, TrixieTrue said:

Noel is not vegan and joked about trying it in during Vegan week but said he couldn't sustain it. Noel admits that he has a sweet tooth but he had to lose weight and quit sugar for an acting role. After that, he's been trying avoid it generally. Personal preference more than anything I think.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, Athena said:

Noel is not vegan and joked about trying it in during Vegan week but said he couldn't sustain it. Noel admits that he has a sweet tooth but he had to lose weight and quit sugar for an acting role. After that, he's been trying avoid it generally. Personal preference more than anything I think.

Possibly "The Wonderful World of Death" (currently in post-production) . . . he plays a dead guy.

4 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Possibly "The Wonderful World of Death" (currently in post-production) . . . he plays a dead guy.

The original comment about quitting sugar was for when Noel played Alice Cooper in tv show called "Urban Myths" but your point stands as well. Noel has said that people hire him for his look (which is involves being skinny/lanky) so he can't really afford to gain any weight for work. It's basically part of his brand now.

• Love 1
On 10/7/2020 at 1:21 PM, TrixieTrue said:

I would totally eat ALL THE THINGS.

I do remember an earlier season where they made the pastry parcels and Mel grabbed one from each person.  If I ever hosted I’d need an elliptical in between rounds.

As for Lotte’s hair, it does get unnerving watching it fly around.  I shed like a cat so if I ever did something, which I never would since time constraints are not my friend, I would definitely need a hair net.

• Love 2

I only know of the new host from Dr. Who, and I still think of him as an alien.

I only know Matt Lucas from "Bridesmaids." I thought he did fine.

So happy the show is back, apparently better than ever. Weird Noel is made for it.

I spent yesterday churning through a pile of dreaded chores, and I kept reminding myself I would be rewarded by this season's first episode. By the time I watched it was raining, I was pleasantly tired, I had a cup of tea...perfect!

I wonder if being sequestered helped mesh the group. There was lots of relaxed, dry humor and wit, which is one reason I watch.

On to the next episode.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 2
On 9/26/2020 at 10:23 AM, AZChristian said:

I think what you're referring to is "vocal fry."  Lots of young women have developed it as a way of copying people like the Kardashians.  

I didn’t notice Lottie using vocal fry, but even if she did it could be for a variety of reasons. This is a controversial issue these days.  It is most certainly NOT because of the Kardashians as vocal fry has existed for a long time and is used by men as well.  Also no one watches the Kardashians anymore. Their 15 minutes was used up a long time ago.  As a vocal performance teacher for many years, I can assure you that it is used for a variety of reasons including damage to the larynx and for dramatic effect while singing. 

Back to the show, my early favs are Lottie and Peter. 

• Love 2
On 9/26/2020 at 10:34 AM, dleighg said:

as a number of people have noted, Netflix did NOT have it in the first 18 or 24 hours or so, but then added it to the episode.

And yet, I watched it at 4:30 am on Friday morning, right after it was released on Netflix, and Boris was in it.

Edited by BradyB66
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

For those of you who were swooning over Alfie Boe, his concert is available to watch this weekend. Matt Lucas is one of the special guests who appears. They sing a duet around the 15:50 mark.

Thanks for sharing this!!!

• Love 1
On 9/24/2020 at 1:44 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The new host guy did absolutely nothing to make me think he's funny.

Just now viewing because these have hit Netflix.  I just hate this guy.  Hate him.  And are he and Noel doing way more interfering schtick with the contestants. If I were stressed and short on time I'd be beaning someone with a spatula.

On 9/25/2020 at 4:59 AM, dleighg said:

So the Netflix version doesn't have the Boris intro?

Thanks heavens it was not on the version I watch.  We have our own clown show over here.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 9/30/2020 at 9:37 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

You also can't equate "tent" with "hot weather".  Britain isn't as hot as most of the US - at least it wasn't pre-climate change.  We've seen all kinds of weather conditions outside the tent.

My idea of a perfect day is when I relax in my enclosed porch while it rains, drinking tea and watching the GBBO - and it's also raining outside the tent. 💗

On 10/7/2020 at 8:02 PM, Athena said:

That makes sense, but if I'm hosting I am for SURE trying a bite of whatever bakes earn a Paul Hollywood handshake!

On 10/11/2020 at 9:05 AM, pasdetrois said:

I spent yesterday churning through a pile of dreaded chores, and I kept reminding myself I would be rewarded by this season's first episode. By the time I watched it was raining, I was pleasantly tired, I had a cup of tea...perfect!

I use this show as a reward, too!  Lately it's just been a reward for getting through another trying week, but I also used it as a balm to my soul during the very uncertain times of earlier this year - I rewatched the entire series.  It's not a show I put on for background noise while I am doing other things -  it's appointment viewing, complete with a cup of tea and some type of sweet treat. 🙂

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 8
21 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I work out to it.  I may be the only person who uses to show to lose weight.

If I did that, the minute I was done I'd run to the kitchen and eat/make something. For me it's best to watch with a limited supply of themed snacks my daughter and I make or buy. Buy the time we watch, I've already done my daily exercise, and I figure once a week isn't a bad indulgence.

• Love 4

Luckily there are a lot of flavor combinations I don’t like.  Just as I want to eat it, they mention passion fruit curd or pomegranate juice or adding in boozy fruit, and now I can just enjoy the pretty because I am not tasting it.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4