Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E01: Cake Week

• Start Topic

I watched with my husband and his biggest comments had to do with the cheaper production value.  Something to do with color saturation and maybe shooting with cheaper lenses.   The color was just way off.  I hope they fix it. 

The only thing I didnt like was that  I couldn't binge it.

11 hours ago, Michichick said:

I actually teared up a bit at the beginning because I’m so happy this show is back. Wish the Netflix version had the Boris Johnson cold open.

It did. I got it anyway. Maybe it was as sorter version as it was only a few minutes but it defiantly was there. 

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, blueray said:

It did. I got it anyway. Maybe it was as sorter version as it was only a few minutes but it defiantly was there. 

It “defiantly” was not there the first time I watched, but it is now so it’s all good.

Lottie’s voice really reminded me of someone. Her voice makes me think of Ruby from 2018 (the Rahul/Briony/Kim Joy season) for some reason.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, Michichick said:

Lottie’s voice really reminded me of someone. Her voice makes me think of Ruby from 2018 (the Rahul/Briony/Kim Joy season) for some reason.

I think what you're referring to is "vocal fry."  Lots of young women have developed it as a way of copying people like the Kardashians.  

I've seen enough of Boris Johnson, but didn't find any humor in the opening.  

Maybe I don't get why at about 4 minutes into the competition, Matt had to point out he's a homosexual to Laura.  The whole "confirmed bachelor Super noodles" thing just seemed jammed in there for him to make the statement.  I don't care who he sleeps with, it just seemed randomly thrown in to a show in which it doesn't matter. 

I'm good with background information about the bakers, but the hosts I don't need to know about. Lottie is a pantomime producer, into Viking metal music and Yoga.  Who wouldn't want to know about that?  *LOL*

• Love 8
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

Oh he was PO'd alright. He glowered! And I don't blame him. And I noticed that the judges said they heard the cakes "were dropped." I'd have been PO'd that they didn't say they'd heard the cakes had been "elbowed off his tray by another contestant."  Unintentionally of course, but still.

I too understand his frustration, but I highly doubt that he would have been eliminated, due to the optics of it.  Thankfully, it wasn't a showstopper challenge, or one that required a ton of creativity/individualism.  

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I think what you're referring to is "vocal fry."  Lots of young women have developed it as a way of copying people like the Kardashians.  

No, I don’t think that’s it. It’s not vocal fry that’s making me think of Ruby. I don’t recall Lottie or Ruby having notable vocal fry, though I’m so used to hearing it these days that I probably wouldn’t even notice it.

edit: okay, I went back and watched both Lottie and Ruby and I’ve concluded you were correct, @AZChristian!

24 minutes ago, leighdear said:

I'm good with background information about the bakers, but the hosts I don't need to know about. Lottie is a pantomime producer, into Viking metal music and Yoga.  Who wouldn't want to know about that?  *LOL*

Yes! That description of Lottie almost sounded like a parody of a homeowner on House Hunters or something. I want to know more about these pantomimes she produces!

Edited by Michichick
AZChristian was right and I was wrong
  • Love 3

Re: Cake accident

I don't blame Dave (?) for being upset, I thought he at least controlled himself and said the right things (unless there was some editing, ha ha).  On the other hand, he got a break, since the judges only looked at his best cake, so there was no judging on uniformity or consistency.  I'm sure there was lots of film of his bake as he was carrying it or at some other point before the accident.  I thought the way it was handled was pretty good.

I think the bust challenge would have been better in terms of technicality later, as they got more comfortable and experienced but it was a nice way to find out about the contestants,  Except for a few who got the edits, they pretty much are just generic people to me.

I had never heard of Matt before, and did not see the Boris Johnson skit.  I thought the humor was forced and not funny.  I hope they let him and Noel just be themselves.

I like Paul and Pru as judges (sorry, Mary), and it seemed like they were giving the contestants a lot of goof advice. 

Edited by mjc570
spellingt the word "cake" is difficult without a cup of coffee
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Michichick said:

It “defiantly” was not there the first time I watched, but it is now so it’s all good.

Yeah, I didn't read the thread completely before posting lol. I'm glad it was added (even if it was later) as I like to get the full (or close to) episode.

I ADORE Noel and he does just fine on his own, he doesn't need a back-up. (If you've never seen the Brit comedy "The IT Crowd", he has a small, but hysterical reoccurring role)

I had never seen The IT Crowd when Noah first started hosting and I just thought "Who is this weirdo?" But now that I've watched the whole series I kind of love him a little.

Felt bad for Dave and Sura, accidents happen. 

He really did look angry. I'm not sure it made much difference though, his bake wasn't very good (I think he came in 9th) and I don't see him lasting long.

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, mjc570 said:

Re: Cale accident

I don't blame Dave (?) for being upset, I thought he at least controlled himself and said the right things (unless there was some editing, ha ha).  On the other hand, he got a break, since the judges only looked at his best cake, so there was no judging on uniformity or consistency.  I'm sure there was lots of film of his bake as he was carrying it or at some other point before the accident.  I thought the way it was handled was pretty good.

I rewatched that part of it this morning because I wanted to see the Boris Johnson/Matt bit.  

I think the accident was a 50/50 situation.  (Sorry I don't know names yet.)  The lady had just placed her tray and was carefully raising her arms up and away (I didn't see any "swatting at a fly").  She wasn't flailing about.  Then the gentleman was approaching the table to place his tray and - unfortunately - was focused on his tray and walked right into the arc of her arm lift.

I think he was initially angry, and that was a perfectly understandable feeling.  But when they told him that he would only be judged on the taste and look of the one that hadn't fallen - and that there was to be no penalty to him for the ones that hit the floor - he calmed down and was able to speak objectively about "accidents will happen."  The fact that he scored close to the bottom had nothing to do with the cakes on the floor.  It was because the one that they tasted (which would have been just like all the others he made) just wasn't very good.

I don't consider where they were walking on the way to the tent as an indicator of anything.  They do "stock shots" and put them in where they need them.  In one shot, he was walking alone and there were two people walking with her.  From a different camera angle (from what was supposed to be the same walk), she was walking right next to him.

Thanks @Michichick.  Seeing the words, "you were correct, @AZCHRISTIAN!" made my day.  It so rarely happens that I AM right, and even rarer that someone else recognizes it.  Yay me!

Edited by AZChristian
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, Kromm said:

Matt Lucas is SO weird he actually makes Noel look normal. 

I laughed at the exchange about music tastes (Blink-182 vs Black Sabbath vs...Roger Whittaker). I remember listening to Roger Whittaker on my parents’ 8-track when I was little. Ah, Matt, thanks for bringing up some good memories!

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
26 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I rewatched that part of it this morning because I wanted to see the Boris Johnson/Matt bit.  

I think the accident was a 50/50 situation.  (Sorry I don't know names yet.)  The lady had just placed her tray and was carefully raising her arms up and away (I didn't see any "swatting at a fly").  She wasn't flailing about.  Then the gentleman was approaching the table to place his tray and - unfortunately - was focused on his tray and walked right into the arc of her arm lift.

As Sura is putting her tray on the table, you can see her reaching towards the far end of the tray as she lets out a little gasp and says "go away", picking something off the top of her bake.  She pulled her arm back pretty quick, then her elbow hits Dave's tray.  So, yeah, the fly thing was real. 

Dave's cakes all looked nice, but I think the icing was starting to slide off (like many others).  As others have said, I don't think he suffered at all from the mishap, as the judges clearly commented on the caramel being too overdone ("almost burnt" according to Paul).  If he were in the top 5, where a lot of it comes down to uniformity, then he may have been at a disadvantage, but he was #9, because the caramel was overdone. 

Matt did tell Dave they would tell Paul what happened, but it would have been good if Paul had acknowledged Dave wasn't at fault instead of just saying they were "dropped".  I think that would have gone a long way to clear up anyone thinking Dave was somehow penalized for this.  Also, I don't think Matt (or whoever) should have put the dropped ones back on the tray.  They were on the floor, and that's just sort of icky. 

I predict that in future technicals we'll see the bakers going up to the table one by one and giving each other plenty of room!

• Love 7
On 9/25/2020 at 4:59 AM, dleighg said:

Also, the Vanity Fair article left me a bit confused, as it mentioned housing the bakers' families (and sometimes pets). But the show seemed to imply that they left their families behind for the 6 or 7 weeks.

I'd imagine that it varies, that families who could came with them, but if you've got kids or pets, they probably need to stay where they are.

17 hours ago, leighdear said:

Sura kept turning her nose up at so many different things, she's at the bottom of my list.  

Something about her personality rubbed me the wrong way, and I think it may be so much negative about everything.  It's one of those "She seems to be a nice person, BUT...." situations.  

• Love 5

Glad to see this today on Netflix (with the Boris Johnson parody.  And I also had Netflix jumped away to another episode in the middle of the judging, and I had to fast forward through the episode again to see the ending.)

I had completely forgotten that Sandi wasn't going to be in it and was thrown by Matt's appearance.  I still think of Noel as new.  Looking at Matt's imdb page I recognize him as a guest star on various things, but I haven't seen his primary shows.  Not sure what to think of him yet, but he did have one of the accidentally funniest moments when he ate one of Sura's candy fruits.

Matt: What's the stem made of?
      Sura: You're not supposed to eat the stem.
      Matt: Well I know that now.

I can't imagine chewing a whole clove!

The Battenburgs were pretty.  Bubble gum almost never works for the judges so I wasn't surprised at their reaction there.  Lottie's cake made to look like a candy was clever, and I would personally be interested in trying a pistachio marzipan.  The chocolate and orange one was pretty.

I've never seen whipped cream on a pineapple upside down cake, or another cherry on top.  To me part of the point is to show the pretty baked pineapple and cherry.

I agree with everyone else - the bust challenge was doomed from the beginning.  I'm surprised they didn't comment negatively on the single color or stylized color cakes, but then stylized did seem to work better.  The skull cake mold was a really clever concept.  At least the proportions were already taken care of.

Looking forward to more.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, MisterGlass said:

I've never seen whipped cream on a pineapple upside down cake, or another cherry on top.  To me part of the point is to show the pretty baked pineapple and cherry.

I'd wondered whether there were two cherries. Seemed a bit odd. I guess it makes sense to put one in the hole in the pineapple; but I agree that it seems more streamlined to stop at that point rather than the whipped cream and then ANOTHER cherry.

• Love 3

I hope David and Sura weren't too upset about the cake incident. Not only was David's sample salvageable, but It's been clear to me for a while that the technical challenges don't carry any significant weight in the judging, so I'm always sad to see the contestants get so worked up about them (often to the point of tears). In last season alone, they eliminated Helena the week she won the technical and then kept Priya the week she botched the technical worse than any contestant I've ever seen. Seriously, the technical challenge means nothing, so just relax and have fun baking something new and exotic!

• Love 5

I wonder if the delay on the Boris skit was having to ADR Great British Bake Off into Great British Baking Show (I was surprised when Matt Lucas said the American name for the show) ? As well as them leaving it off, not realizing in this global internet age, Americans would know it was there, so they couldn't just chop it off and scurried to add it back after it got mentioned.

Good lord the show stoppers had some hideous looking cakes (though it seems if your bake and flavors were good, the ignored the weird melty faces and the Lupita cake, oi vey).

• Love 3
1 hour ago, chaifan said:

Matt did tell Dave they would tell Paul what happened, but it would have been good if Paul had acknowledged Dave wasn't at fault instead of just saying they were "dropped".  I think that would have gone a long way to clear up anyone thinking Dave was somehow penalized for this.

I thought it was pretty clear without a lot of explanation that he wasn’t being penalized. They judged him on the one cake that survived and said the caramel was overdone so it wasn’t like the missing ones were miraculously going to have better caramel. There have been a few accidents over the years and the judges have been pretty good about taking them into account. UK S3’s Dani (who I liked a lot until she turned out to be such a Bitter Betty post-show) dropped almost all of her bakes in episode and was certain that she’d be eliminated for it, but IIRC they praised her flavors, etc. based on the one that survived. And S2’s Rob had a cake crash to the floor that Paul helped him salvage and he also survived (long past when he should have). On the other hand, when Iain binned his Baked Alaska, they had no option but to eliminate him since there was nothing to judge.

The colors of the Battenbergs were really off putting to me. I don’t mind oddly colored food but some of them were practically glowing. The showstoppers were kind of doomed to fail because of the time frame. Even on the Food Network challenges, they had more time and most of the cakes still looked unfinished. There was no way a group of amateur bakers was going to do much better so kudos to them for doing as well as they did. The time factor was definitely to blame for the bust of Lupita Nyong’o looking more like Maz Kanata than anything. 

I nearly forgot this was back on and then almost decided not to watch because I really felt like it was running out of steam after last season, but I’m glad I did. It’s still the nicest show on TV and the contestants are almost always a delight. Paul is okay and I do like Pru. Noel, who I knew from Boosh, IT Crowd, Buzzcocks and Big Fat Quiz, totally surprised me. I really had my doubts but his whacked out humor just works—well, most of the time anyway. I knew a little about Matt before but he hasn’t made much of an impression on me yet so I’ll reserve judgment. 

Edited by Margo Leadbetter
  • Love 4

Since I just watched the episode, the Boris skit was there. Because it was, I wonder if that factored into the episode cutting off so abruptly at the end. I enjoy watching them all commiserate with the one going home and congratulating the star baker. And then, don't we get a little commentary from each of these people? Did I miss that?

I also feel like we missed out on a segment where Paul and Pru discuss who's in danger of leaving and who's in the top. It's been a while, since I watched any previous seasons, so maybe my mind's playing tricks, but it all seemed very rushed at the end. Hope they don't continue doing that.

In any event, I felt so bad for Dave. I'd be pissed too if someone wasn't paying attention and took all my hard work out in one swipe! I know it wasn't on purpose, but anytime you're moving your work up to the front -- especially with other people doing the same -- dramatic movements should probably be checked at the door.

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, Nidratime said:

I also feel like we missed out on a segment where Paul and Pru discuss who's in danger of leaving and who's in the top. It's been a while, since I watched any previous seasons, so maybe my mind's playing tricks, but it all seemed very rushed at the end. Hope they don't continue doing that.

They'll have more time for that when there aren't so many bakers to talk to and judge.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, MisterGlass said:

Yes!  I found that odd, plus how could it be that most were too warm for the cream, and others not?  I could see it if some had to completely redo their batter or bake, etc., but I don't know how they wouldn't be too warm for all considering the time given.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 3

I hadn't planned on watching this season after being disappointed with the last few, but dang if I didn't get sucked in again! This one's off to a good start: a lot of immediately appealing bakers, Matt Lucas's smooth integration, some low-key drama, and Paul's new and improved hairstyle. And I may be alone, but I thought the Freddie Mercury bust was adorable despite its neck-lessness.

ETA: I'm rooting for Sura if only because she walks her cat outside on a leash. As someone who tried and failed miserably at doing that with my own cat, I'm both impressed and enchanted.

Edited by krankydoodle
  • LOL 4
  • Love 9
6 minutes ago, krankydoodle said:

I hadn't planned on watching this season after being disappointed with the last few, but dang if I didn't get sucked in again! This one's off to a good start: a lot of immediately appealing bakers, Matt Lucas's smooth integration, some low-key drama, and Paul's new and improved hairstyle. And I may be alone, but I thought the Freddie Mercury bust was adorable despite its neck-lessness.

Freddie would have loved it! 

• Love 5

6 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Can someone explain why anyone of sound mind would want to emulate a Kardashian?  Oh, never mind, asked and answered.

• LOL 9
3 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Yes!  I found that odd, plus how could it be that most were too warm for the cream, and others not?  I could see it if some had to completely redo their batter or bake, etc., but I don't know how they wouldn't be too warm for all considering the time given.

Sura, who won praise for her whipped cream, put her cakes in the freezer to cool them down.

• Love 3

Yay, it's back! Did Sandi get fired or just replaced for this season because of the covid situation? Thank goodness Noel is still there. "Richmond's out of his room!" 

I hope they don't do too many gimmicky challenges. I just like to see beautiful bakes. I wanted to see them all do a wonderfully decorated cake ...and it turned out to be a bust. : )

Edited by TVbitch
  • LOL 6
  • Love 3
On 9/26/2020 at 2:46 AM, dleighg said:

so strange. I watched on Netflix yesterday (first day it was available) quite early in the morning (5 am EDT) and the Boris bit was not there. Just looked now, and it is!

I'm not a Brit, so I'm not familiar enough with Boris to know how good his impersonation is, so it likely loses something in translation 🙂 

I am in the US and the same thing happened to me with the Boris bit. It wasn’t there yesterday but it was there today when I rewatched. Very strange! I so love my show back!

Edited by marinite
47 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Yay, it's back! Did Sandi get fired or just replaced for this season because of the covid situation? Thank goodness Noel is still there. "Richmond's out of his room!" 

I hope they don't do too many gimmicky challenges. I just like to see beautiful bakes. I wanted to see them all do a wonderfully decorated cake ...and it turned out to be a bust. : )

Sandi left to pursue other projects. IIRC, she announced before the lockdown when opportunities still existed. 

• Useful 1
7 hours ago, MisterGlass said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they added the whipped cream requirement specifically to add another challenge. As we saw, several of the bakers had their whipped cream sliding off because their cakes were still warm when they added the whipped cream.

And I've noticed that with technical challenges, the judges often ask for some extra element that needs to be made separately so that the bakers have something else to do. If not for that, this challenge would have been make the batter, put the cakes in the oven, and unmold them.

Just out of curiosity, I did a google image search for "individual pineapple upside down cake" and out of the first 100 images, only 5 had whipped cream so it's not super common.

5 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I think it was a matter of who got their batter down quickly and into the oven so that their cakes had time to cool versus the bakers who had were slower and didn't get their cakes into the oven until later. Ten minutes can make a big difference, especially since these were individual cakes (meaning they would cool more quickly than one large pineapple upside down cake).

• Love 3
8 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

I laughed at the exchange about music tastes (Blink-182 vs Black Sabbath vs...Roger Whittaker). I remember listening to Roger Whittaker on my parents’ 8-track when I was little. Ah, Matt, thanks for bringing up some good memories!

I'd forgotten about this exchange, but that was really funny. I didn't even mind when Matt kept singing; nice voice.

I think Sura was the one picking the dropped cakes up off the ground. Dave had walked away (he was totally angry, lol, though maybe more at the situation than at Sura). And I agree it was gross to pick them up. They're not gonna be judged, they look like hell, and they were on the ground. Just say he had six before the accident and move on.

2 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Asking, rhetorically, yet again, why is the tent not air conditioned???  That would have helped the cakes cool faster.  Didn’t Ryan or Alvin do a PUDC and it scored very high.

People associated with the show have said several times that the equipment they'd need for air conditioning would be too loud. I'm not sure how effective it could be anyway in an outdoor tent full of ovens, lighting, and other industrial equipment. And people.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Lois Sandborne said:

I'd forgotten about this exchange, but that was really funny. I didn't even mind when Matt kept singing; nice voice.

I think Sura was the one picking the dropped cakes up off the ground. Dave had walked away (he was totally angry, lol, though maybe more at the situation than at Sura). And I agree it was gross to pick them up. They're not gonna be judged, they look like hell, and they were on the ground. Just say he had six before the accident and move on.

People associated with the show have said several times that the equipment they'd need for air conditioning would be too loud. I'm not sure how effective it could be anyway in an outdoor tent full of ovens, lighting, and other industrial equipment. And people.

Which begs the question - why did they decide to do this in a tent, as opposed to a building that could be fitted with the necessary equipment?

I've always wondered.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, chaifan said:

As Sura is putting her tray on the table, you can see her reaching towards the far end of the tray as she lets out a little gasp and says "go away", picking something off the top of her bake.  She pulled her arm back pretty quick, then her elbow hits Dave's tray.  So, yeah, the fly thing was real. 

Rewatched the whole episode and finally saw the "Go away" thing.  Stuff happens, and Dave wasn't penalized, but I can understand if he was temporarily upset.  Hard to tell the timing on a taped show, but he seemed to get over it pretty quickly.  

• Love 3

I'm so happy this show is back for a new season.  I was laughing so hard at some of the show stopper cakes.  They looked like some you see on the Pinterest fails sites.  I like the new guy, Matt, and he and Noelle seem to make a good team.  I noticed him sampling a lot of the bakes.  He might need a diet by the time this season is over. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Nidratime said:

I also feel like we missed out on a segment where Paul and Pru discuss who's in danger of leaving and who's in the top.

Now that I definitely remember seeing, right after the technical and before the showstopper. 

That's weird about the Boris Johnson bit.  It was not there when I watched Friday morning, but yeah, it's there now.  I can understand why Netflix would have cut it, assuming that an American audience wouldn't "get it".   

Did anyone else notice that when Sura's bust slid over, they let her run back into the tent and prop it up?  That used to be against the rules.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Which begs the question - why did they decide to do this in a tent, as opposed to a building that could be fitted with the necessary equipment?

I've always wondered.

The tent is to evoke a village fête which are outdoor festivals and parties which usually includes a baking competition. It's a big part of the look and feel of the show which is why it's ubiquitous in the exported versions too.

• Useful 5
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Did anyone else notice that when Sura's bust slid over, they let her run back into the tent and prop it up?  That used to be against the rules.

I didn't notice she was out of the tent at the time. But as for rules, I imagine being quarantined together and making the show under these circumstances may have relaxed their enforcement of the rules just a bit.

On 9/25/2020 at 4:47 PM, dleighg said:

I like her but don't like her hair falling all around her face (she's that one, right?) 

I remember thinking the same thing with Alice, at least braid the ponytail. Or plait I guess.

On 9/26/2020 at 1:43 AM, NYCFree said:

I was irrationally offended by the bubblegum and cream soda cake. It just seemed all wrong for the first bake.

I remember Nadiya doing rather well with those flavors, but she concentrated her own.

On 9/26/2020 at 8:10 AM, ozziemom said:

Did they show Paul and Pru discussion on who was going home?

I wondered about that! I was so sure Laura? was going home and there was no discussion of who did what wrong or right. Maybe if I watch again it will appear like the cold open?

1 minute ago, dgpolo said:

I wondered about that! I was so sure Laura? was going home and there was no discussion of who did what wrong or right. Maybe if I watch again it will appear like the cold open?

They did it after the technical, not after the showstopper.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

I remember Nadiya doing rather well with those flavors, but she concentrated her own.

I don't think Nadiya used bubblegum and cream soda in the same bake. She used the bubblegum on eclairs (and they were not well-received). Separately she did a cream soda and ginger beer cake. If this year's contestant thought the combo would be successful because Nadiya used both, that was not the greatest idea.

• Love 3

I'm not familiar with him and don't care for Matt Lucas at all - didn't find him a bit funny.  Found it odd that he would make a point of introducing himself to a contestant as a homosexual.  Wow, really, and your point is?

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Yakima said:

Found it odd that he would make a point of introducing himself to a contestant as a homosexual. 

Agree-- and the use of a word I haven't heard in years, as well, rather than simply "gay."

• Love 3