Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Athena

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Recommended Posts


I didn't know FJ either. I guessed Bob Barker. Thanks to @Opus for the link explaining Scott's FJ answer.

The only TS I got was sackbut. If Aaron explained that "but" could appear anywhere in the word, I missed it. 

I thought Brandon should have been told to BMS when he said "What is the first coffeehouse?" instead of being declared wrong automatically. He won by a mile, so it didn't really matter, but still... 

I'm not a big fan of Aaron Rodgers' hosting, but he isn't setting my teeth on edge either.

Quote

The new champ really reminded me of someone, but I can't figure out who. 

Aaron Paul?

Share this post


Link to post

I knew Final Jeopardy. I’m so smart. I will let me enjoy this unit I’ll tomorrow night when I won’t know it. Aaron Rogers did okay & handled the “joke” really well. He does have a certain amount of charisma but I’m not sure it’s enough to host Jeopardy full time. I think Ken Jennings will get the gig. Although, executive producer Michael Richards really deserves it. He just has that (smart) game show host looks in the bag. He’s a throwback before they started using comedians. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I didn’t previously know Aaron Rodgers, but, wow 🤩   
I’d be happy to have him giving Jeopardy clues. 

  • Like 7
  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post

I think Aaron Rodgers did fine.  It was his first show and I'll cut him some slack.  I think he was being very careful about pronunciations, and his interaction with the contestants was pretty good.   I'll reserve judgment until he's had a few more outings. 

For FJ, the first person that came to mind was Alex Trebek, even though the daytime part of the clue didn't fit him.  

   

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

Don’t all the syndicated game shows get lumped into the Daytime Emmys?

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, chitowngirl said:

Don’t all the syndicated game shows get lumped into the Daytime Emmys?

I think they do.  Good point!

 

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

The only TS I got was sackbut. If Aaron explained that "but" could appear anywhere in the word, I missed it. 

I think he just said something along the lines of "notice the quotation marks."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

If Aaron explained that "but" could appear anywhere in the word, I missed it.

I believe the category was “But”.

Did new champ ever say what concert he was at when he did the Jeopardy! online test?  Aaron asked but I don’t recall if an answer was given.

Pterosaur rather than pterodactyl was...curious.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Don’t all the syndicated game shows get lumped into the Daytime Emmys?

Yes. 

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I guessed Alex Trebek too...sounded like something he would say.  And I agree, Aaron talked rather slow, but he did have a sense of humor(a trumpet called a 'sak butt"?!)

Trombone.  
I was flabbergasted at the Maryland guess. Virgin (chaste) Queen = Virginia!
 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

8 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

was flabbergasted at the Maryland guess. Virgin (chaste) Queen = Virginia!

Yes,  but I can also see the thought process of “Virgin (chaste) Queen” to [Virgin] Mary to Maryland.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Did new champ ever say what concert he was at when he did the Jeopardy! online test?  Aaron asked but I don’t recall if an answer was given.

He didn't. I was curious, too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I believe the category was “But”.

Did new champ ever say what concert he was at when he did the Jeopardy! online test?  Aaron asked but I don’t recall if an answer was given.

 

I was confused by this too. I could have sworn Aaron asked but then the guy never answered it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

As a lifelong die hard Packer fan, I loved Scott’s FJ answer and Aaron’s reaction to it!  And of course I thought Aaron did a good job😄

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

 

Hey, I loved Aaron! However as a resident of WI I am contractually obligated to wet myself over him. 

 

I’m from Chicago so I’m contractually obligated to hate him but I liked him too.  He was stiff but I think he’ll loosen up in the next couple of games.  I read that he took the role seriously and prepared hard for it.  I got a lot of the clues today but also thought FJ was Alex.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Aaron Rodgers was about what I expected as a guest host - a big fan of the game and comfortable performing on camera (he's done a bunch of commercials), so he doesn't have the presence of a professional host, but he's fine for two weeks. The charity he selected (in his hometown of Chico) sounds great from the quick perusal I took, truly a community organization.

Hemingway is new documentary series by Ken Burns AND Lynn Novick.  It pisses me off when their projects are referred to as his alone, even though it's right there in the subtitle, not even requiring any looking at the credits: "A Film by Ken Burns & Lynn Novick".

I joined those in the studio in getting a good chuckle out of Scott going directly to the bald category.  And I cracked the hell up at his FJ answer and Aaron's reaction, because, yeah, dumb move, LaFleur.  The wheels seemed to come off the wagon for Scott in DJ; lots of wrong answers, and he lost his mojo.

The Old Man and the Sea clue was too easy, given the two visual prompts within the clue, for a DD in DJ.

I wasn't surprised the Iran hostages clue was a TS, but I was quite surprised by the "slaves" answer. 

I missed two pop culture clues and joined the contestants (and Aaron) in not knowing sackbut, but otherwise ran the first round.

I did well in DJ, too, only missing one each in baseball managers, history, Hemingway, and 11-letter words, but if it wasn't for some lucky guesses, I'd have missed quite a few more.

FJ was an instaget, since I just watched A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood fairly recently.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Had to take a break from J! while the wizard I mean doc Oz was on. I admit to lurking.

So glad to be back - and was rooting for our Canuck to win again... alas. Not to be.

The new champ reminded me initially of Ryan Gosling - something in the eyes? - so he's ok. Great game for him.

Aaron is so zen. I may have had a mini nap during the first section of the show. His voice! I should have taped it for bedtime. Oh, wait... but then I'd visualize his face... and hey - I'm still hot blooded! (And he's taken - I like his fiance, Shailene Woodley, from The Fault in Our Stars and Big Little Lies)

I enjoyed his authenticity. He's not attempting to shine like a star... he doesn't have to do anything except be Aaron. I thought his ad-libs were bang on. Now for some zip in his zen.

I'd still like to see Brad Rutter as guest host. For a few years.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

FJ was an instaget for me today, having seen both the recent movies about Mr Rodgers, it was super easy.

Aaron Rodgers was... not terrible? Not good, but he did get better as the show went on and it’s just his first day. But he does not have a host’s voice. So far the Jeopardy producer guy has been far and away the best host.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I haven't seen the Mr. Rogers show or the movie, but the "think of the people who have helped you" part of the clue" reminded me of his advice to kids after a disaster, "Look for the helpers."  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I thought Aaron did well for someone without much experience in broadcasting / entertainment.  Some of his transitions were a little rocky, and he leaned on the dramatic pause ("that...is correct") a little too much, but his interactions with the contestants were very natural and I thought he enunciated well most of the time.  He's nobody I'd be interested in seeing longterm, but if they wanted to diversify their guest host rota with a well-known athlete, they could have done a lot worse.  His voice isn't quite right for my tastes, but I got "quiet intensity" rather than "bored to death."  I can certainly understand why many found it soporific.  I would have enjoyed seeing the Celebrity game he won somewhere, maybe a YouTube extra.

Over the last few years I cried at Morgan Neville's documentary about Fred Rogers and at the Tom Hanks biopic, and probably less than five other movies out of dozens and dozens.  I definitely got FJ, and did marginally well the rest of the game.   I had a very clever response to the clue that turned out to be about the Iran hostages, but I've already forgotten, if you can believe it.

My least valuable player of the night was the one with a leaden finger on the button for the laugh track.  "I was sandwiched in between 5,000 sweaty people" wasn't THAT funny.  Neither was the little pirate voice or one or two other things someone up in the control room seemed to find hysterical.  I hope they relax a little between tapings.

3 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I thought Brandon should have been told to BMS when he said "What is the first coffeehouse?" instead of being declared wrong automatically. He won by a mile, so it didn't really matter, but still... 

I might say he was a bit too far off for a BMS, and it seemed he rang in just a bit faster than his brain was working on that one, but I do think he realized his mistake swiftly and might have been able to insert "...operated by Starbucks" or something before Aaron could speak if he had been half a second quicker.  Too bad.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Any long-time poster here who missed the TS of sackbut hasn't been paying attention since sackbut has made multiple appearances on this show over the past several seasons.

For a minute I thought the show might have been trolling us with Dr. Oz being the FJ answer.

  • Laugh 7

Share this post


Link to post

I was really hoping they’d have some serious contenders for the permanent job and try out other people with broadcasting experience. But that’s clearly not the producers’ intent. They just want to bring in wide range of celebrity fans to host the show before they anoint the inevitable host, Ken Jennings. I’d rather see someone with more hosting experience, but that doesn’t seem to be the plan.

Edited by Kyle

Share this post


Link to post

I guessed Phil Donohue (sp?) as FJ.....which I guess was a better stab than Jerry Springer! I didn't even consider Alex! lol @ me!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

I had a dog named Buddy.  To be fair we adopted him when he was 3 years old and I didn't want to confuse the poor little guy any more by changing his name.

When we adopted our dog (3 years old too) we kept his name. Seemed like the right thing to do.

12 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I wish they would just announce the host already - this is just getting painful. Aaron seems nice but he is not good at this.  I think J! made a bad decision to have all these guest hosts. 

I think the guest host decision is actually kind of brilliant. No one would have been happy if someone was hired right after Alex passed.  It was too soon. This way, we get used to all sorts of hosting styles and personalities before they make the actual decision. I don't think (Ken excepted, possibly) that any of these are auditions. Just people with a history with Jeopardy who are happy to participate in honor of Alex.

12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I didn't get any TS!  Not that there were many to get.  I got tired of the former champ's leaning, and the new champ's swaying.  The woman was too slow in choosing the next clue.  The new champ really reminded me of someone, but I can't figure out who. 

I thought he was Gosling-esque

12 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I guessed Alex Trebek too...sounded like something he would say.  And I agree, Aaron talked rather slow, but he did have a sense of humor(a trumpet called a 'sak butt"?!)

I was stuck on game shows (which is mostly what I viewed on daytime tv), and thought it was a sneaky way to get another tribute to Alex (who said something very like that in his book). 

9 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Any long-time poster here who missed the TS of sackbut hasn't been paying attention since sackbut has made multiple appearances on this show over the past several seasons.

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Aaron was a little low energy, which could be because he's laid back, or because he's usually very energetic and dialed it back. But, as was mentioned, it was his first show, and he does have a good sense of humor. I don't follow football, so I have no previous opinions about him.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Any long-time poster here who missed the TS of sackbut hasn't been paying attention since sackbut has made multiple appearances on this show over the past several seasons.

For a minute I thought the show might have been trolling us with Dr. Oz being the FJ answer.

I knew it when I heard it, but I didn't get it before that.

34 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

think the guest host decision is actually kind of brilliant. No one would have been happy if someone was hired right after Alex passed.  It was too soon. This way, we get used to all sorts of hosting styles and personalities before they make the actual decision. I don't think (Ken excepted, possibly) that any of these are auditions. Just people with a history with Jeopardy who are happy to participate in honor of Alex.

I agree.  Had they picked a permanent host immediately after Alex, even if they were the great host to ever host a game show, they would have been jeered by many.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Any long-time poster here who missed the TS of sackbut hasn't been paying attention since sackbut has made multiple appearances on this show over the past several seasons.

Has "sackbut" been a TS each time? I'm asking because of my upthread-mentioned theory regarding the re-use TSs until someone successfully gives the correct question.

 

13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I didn't get any TS!  Not that there were many to get.

It seemed that more than usual if one contestant gave a wrong response, another gave the correct one --hence the fewer than usual TSs, right? 
I was mentally patting myself on the back for thinking the correct response before it was given by the second contestant. I'm tempted to just watch it recorded and pause after every clue because the ol' mind isn't fast enough. Does anyone ever do that? 

 

 

35 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:
13 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

I had a dog named Buddy.  To be fair we adopted him when he was 3 years old and I didn't want to confuse the poor little guy any more by changing his name.

When we adopted our dog (3 years old too) we kept his name. Seemed like the right thing to do.

I'm not so sure about dogs, but I had a neighbor whose kids had, over time, renamed their cat --probably in part because of young children's struggles with pronunciation and vocabulary. 
For example: Buddy becomes Buddio becomes Fido. 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I'm not a fan of Aaron's football-wise, but I thought he did a nice job for his first day.  I liked the way he added some emphasis in the right places on certain clues, unlike Dr. Oz, who was awful and chewed his words IMO.  And he had a sense of humor, which was great - especially on Scott's FJ answer.  Nice one, Scott lol

I got FJ because I was a huge soap fan for years and therefore never missed the Daytime Emmys. (I even went and watched the red carpet arrivals one year and got to see Alex in person!)  And the year Mr. Rogers got his Lifetime Achievement Emmy, a dear friend of mine won the Younger Actress category, so I always remember that.

Edited by TaraS1
  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Has "sackbut" been a TS each time? I'm asking because of my upthread-mentioned theory regarding the re-use TSs until someone successfully gives the correct question.

No. I don't remember sackbut being a TS in any of its previous appearances. When it first appeared, we had a long discussion here about it. That could have been as many as three or four seasons ago. But I don't remember it being a TS until yesterday. I believe one time it was the clue and the answer was trombone. That was "before your time," shapeshifter!

Of course, my mind is like a trap door ... sometimes it's open and things fall out.

3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Hey, I resemble that remark!

You are one of the Old Crocks here, Clanstarling. Sackbut should have been easy for you!

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

I'm enjoying all the guest hosts. I give them credit for filling in for an icon knowing they will be subjected to so many mean SM posts. I hope they stay off all chat sites. And twitter, and insta and ... everything!

I felt sorry for the champ yesterday. He seemed excessively tired or his back hurt or something. Being on that show isn't easy. Even though I keep taking the test and trying to get on!

I did get the TS of sackbut, even though I'm a relatively new poster here. Former band member!

Edited by PBnJay
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, PBnJay said:

felt sorry for the champ yesterday. He seemed excessively tired or his back hurt or something. Being on that show isn't easy. Even though I keep taking the test and trying to get on!

I feel like I'm in some weird long limbo.  Because I passed the oline test and the "in person test" (really zoom), but I think they're still just doing locals.  I liked it better when I was just a test failer.  At least then I knew where I stood:)

  • Like 7
  • Useful 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I feel like I'm in some weird long limbo.  Because I passed the oline test and the "in person test" (really zoom), but I think they're still just doing locals.  I liked it better when I was just a test failer.  At least then I knew where I stood:)

Good luck to you. But it must be stressful every time the phone rings or a text comes in and ... it isn't Jeopardy. Maybe things will loosen up this year, I hope anyway.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Bliss said:

and was rooting for our Canuck to win again... alas. Not to be.

I had been rooting for him in his first two games but he gave several answers last night that I thought were sort of bone headed; plus his leaning on his elbow put me off him.

No ts's for me and no FJ.  I said Bob Barker; never even thought of children's shows.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I thought he was Gosling-esque

That's it!  Thanks!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

17 hours ago, Katy M said:

i didn't know Fj.  I guessed Alex trebek.

 

me too, then second guessed myself but came nowhere near the wondrous Fred Rogers

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

I'm not a fan of Aaron's football-wise, but I thought he did a nice job for his first day.  I liked the way he added some emphasis in the right places on certain clues, unlike Dr. Oz, who was awful and chewed his words IMO.  And he had a sense of humor, which was great - especially on Scott's FJ answer.  Nice one, Scott lol

I got FJ because I was a huge soap fan for years and therefore never missed the Daytime Emmys. (I even went and watched the red carpet arrivals one year and got to see Alex in person!)  And the year Mr. Rogers got his Lifetime Achievement Emmy, a dear friend of mine won the Younger Actress category, so I always remember that.

**puts on soap fan hat**

OMG YOU KNOW SARAH BROWN? THAT'S AWESOME!

**takes off soap fan hat**

but yes, my Daytime Emmy fandom definitely played a role in knowing that FJ! was Mr. Rogers. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I had the wrong kind of cabin for FJ.  I knew Teddy Roosevelt had to be called back from the Adirondacks when McKinley's condition worsened after being shot, and didn't think too hard after that.   "Window shades" should have been a bit of a clue for me.  Oh well.

Good game overall.  My reaction to Aaron didn't change much from yesterday's show: he's not highly polished, but is doing fine or better in most respects, and seems to connect with the contestants well.

Are there more categories with a Judeo-Christian basis lately than in the past, or is it just me?  It seems there is a category at least once a week about the Bible or something like the "Christian Glossary."  Many, like today's, are perfectly accessible without familiarity with religious texts or practice.  I don't intend this as a complaint or an attempt to start another battle in the "culture wars."  I'm just wondering whether others think these are coming up frequently.

I hesitate to comment, especially unfavorably, on a contestant's appearance, but I wondered whether there is still a makeup artist on set.  It seemed Brandon was wearing foundation that didn't suit him, especially around the beard line, and I thought it made him look jaundiced.  I hope they're continuing to do all they can so the contestants can focus on showing what they know, as he did admirably, without worrying about how they'll look on TV.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, SierraMist said:

For FJ, the first person that came to mind was Alex Trebek, even though the daytime part of the clue didn't fit him. 

 

5 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

didn't know Fj.  I guessed Alex trebek.

Oh, me too 🙂  Since awards shows bore me silly and I rarely if ever watch them, I'm always clueless when it comes to that category. Guess I'll have to study up if I ever get another audition.   But it sounded like something Alex might say.  Did they say what year Mr. Rogers got his award?

Oh, as for Aaron Rogers...he is a very large, tall person!  And has a very deep man-voice.  I like that.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, Bliss said:

The new champ reminded me initially of Ryan Gosling - something in the eyes? - so he's ok. Great game for him.

I can see that. But when they introduced him just now I saw he looks a lot like a friend of a friend of mine.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, The Wild Sow said:

 

Did they say what year Mr. Rogers got his award?

 

No, but it was in 1997. I posted his acceptance speech; it's at the top of this page. :)

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Got all the Students on TV (or whatever it was)...two of them were pure guesses, and Biblical First Name's the Same.

I got zero TS in the first round but in DJ I got zabaglione, histamine, and the missed DD of George Washington. No FJ.

"The Walking Dead Poet's Society"...I'd watch that.

Aaron's style is growing on me a bit.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Raise your hand if "cabin" led you to think of an actual cabin in the woods! That, coupled with "sweltering" (which made me think of July/Aug), completely ruled out both LBJ & HST for me (I did figure that it was after an assassination). That left me with TR. 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

I said Coolidge.  Wasn't thinking of an airplane cabin.  that was tricky.

I got the ts of decal and Washington.

I got the entire categories of biblical name and happy trails right.

not a bad night until final.  

 

Share this post


Link to post

My hubby said Teddy.  I saw the clue before I paid attention to what the category was and said Lincoln; then when I read the category I got LBJ in time.  The last part of the clue is what led me there.

Aaron is SUPER duper zen so this is about what you are going to get.  It’s a beautiful mystery.

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

I was distracted through most of the show, but paid attention to FJ - which, like many, assumed to a log cabin, so whiffed it.

Rodgers seems to be a little bit more comfortable. I hope he gets into a groove by the end of the week, so next week should be good.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

FJ today:  I said Coolidge. When Harding died in August 1923, Coolidge was in Vermont at his family home in Vermont, which had no phone or electricity.  His father, a notary public and justice of the peace, administered the oath of office.  Sounds reasonable to me, except the quote in the clue was not about him.

  • Like 6
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Driad said:

FJ today:  I said Coolidge. When Harding died in August 1923, Coolidge was in Vermont at his family home in Vermont, which had no phone or electricity.  His father, a notary public and justice of the peace, administered the oath of office.  Sounds reasonable to me, except the quote in the clue was not about him.

I said Coolidge for the same reasons but didn't think it was right just because I've been to his home and it's not a cabin.  LOL.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Raise your hand if "cabin" led you to think of an actual cabin in the woods! That, coupled with "sweltering" (which made me think of July/Aug), completely ruled out both LBJ & HST for me (I did figure that it was after an assassination). That left me with TR. 

Heh...cabin made me think log cabin which made me think Lincoln but wrong century of course so then I went TR because he was all rugged and stuff.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size