Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

19 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I also got Manet, Kennebunkport, and fetlock.  And thought of our horse people here when the fetlock clue came up.

I should have known The Last Dance, but I said The Big Dance instead.  Boo, hiss.

Oooh, Manet is my favorite painter. Well, besides Hopper. And fetlock ... my horse has four of those.

I'm guessing The Last Dance was the Michael Jordan/Bulls docu-series. Man, it was some good teevee, even if you don't like b-ball.

Because Jeopardy wasn't aired here, I read the FJ clue (at TJF.com) as "this SYMBOL ..." and I thought how can a word be a symbol. So I totally tanked. No way could I even come up with a bogus fake answer. And admit it, syllable looks a lot like symbol. At least it does early in the morning.

Alex's Thanksgiving message was shown on the ABC news, so I got to see that.

Heading to J-Archive to find today's clues!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Oh, Alex, you got me again with your Thanksgiving message at the top of the show.  And again with how raspy his voice is.  

Who'da thought Jeopardy would make us cry so much? The news showed his message shortly before before the show started so I saw it twice.

FJ was instaget. I was trying to pre-guess (though not really coming up with anything) but my mind was going in the direction of Christianity. Was watching at my parents' with the cat rubbing her face on my foot so I couldn't really keep track of how I did.

• Love 5
44 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

FJ was a insta-get for me and I managed to run the Maine category.  If the winters weren't so brutal, I'd move there.

My dream honeymoon was to drive to Maine, in October, for camping and hiking. I've sort of given up waiting, if it hasn't happened yet, it ain't gonna. Bright side, I ran the Maine category too, over at J-Archive.

• Love 2

I hope everyone had their fill of their favorite holiday foods. I’ve been inundated cooking (I’ve cooked for other people. They just call me 10 minutes before they want it and it would all be bundled outside my front door), but have kept up with watching. Just haven’t found time to post until this morning before I start my last round of cooking. Then I won’t want to see a turkey until next year. Tuesday I got a few TSs. I was very surprised nobody got Hinduism. When I heard Border Collie you know I was happy for you Saber. Add me to the list of people who had to bale hay. It’s hard to be a horse person and not get a stint doing it. Then on Wednesday I was another Behind the Scenes instead of curtain people. I got all the Hello songs, Beat the Clock, Agriculture, Commerce, Erie and Michigan, charts (how did they miss that one?), Ronin, Slainte, Steve McQueen and I pre-guessed Cher. I thought there were a lot of TSs that game. Last night there were much fewer and I thought the guys played a good game. I got Manet, Kennebunkport, Calcium, Fetlock (again lots of happy heart and thoughts of Saber), Dog the Bounty Hunter and I also pre-guessed the FJ of Om. That’s two days in a row and I’m gobsmacked after my usual misses! Off to peel potatoes. 

• Love 6
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I should have known The Last Dance, but I said The Big Dance instead.  Boo, hiss.

I could see the picture of the show on Netflix, but could not get out the name (not even an incorrect one).

FJ baffled me - I expected a graphic symbol (like a mandala, or yin and yang), not a word(ish)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’ve been inundated cooking (I’ve cooked for other people. They just call me 10 minutes before they want it and it would all be bundled outside my front door),

That sounds very interesting.

10 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I got FJ but had no idea how it's spelled. I'd never seen it written before. 

In my head I spelled it ohm, like the electricity term.  It sounds the same, wonder if the judges would give it to me.

Otherwise, I got the ts's of Edouard Manet, fetlock, and Dog the Bounty Hunter.

Alex sounded so raspy😢

• Love 3

I also was very pleased with myself for getting FJ but also spelled it o-h-m.  Judges, get in here! 😉

Very interesting to learn so much about baling hay.  I've lived in the suburbs and the city but some longterm dear friends think it might be nice if we all retired somewhere in the country someday, so I figure I have a few decades to learn to do something useful there.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

FJ baffled me - I expected a graphic symbol (like a mandala, or yin and yang), not a word(ish)

Exactly.

On J-Archive, the answer for the upstate New York prison was given as just "Sing." Was that what the player said? Or did Archive not add the second Sing? Or are prisons like people and just the last name can be given for a correct answer? It's sort of like that island prison in San Francisco Bay, Catraz, Al being its first name.

6 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Keep up with your endurance and weight training. It’s hard work; usually in the hot sun. 

Which is why I now feed round bales, those big five-foot-high monsters. The farmer brings them in with his tractor and drops them in the feed lot. I open/close gates for him. End of my part.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

He said Sing Sing which is how I always have heard it referred to. 

Yes, I also heard Sing Sing.  The name of the village where the prison is located is Ossining, which I've always thought must figure in the facility's official name, but that appears to be Sing Sing Correctional Facility.   It seems Sing Sing comes from the Sintsink tribe, which sold the land that became the village to a farmer in 1685.  The village changed its name in 1901 to reduce its association with the prison, which also was formally known as "Ossining Correctional Facility" from 1970 to 1985.  And that's...more than any of us needed to know.

2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Keep up with your endurance and weight training. It’s hard work; usually in the hot sun. 

I was thinking I would just greet visitors at the tasting room, really.  It's an idea I think we're seriously considering, but just what we'll be doing in the country changes month to month.  We'll have to see. 😉

Edited by 853fisher
an, not and
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Trey said:

In my head I spelled it ohm, like the electricity term.  It sounds the same, wonder if the judges would give it to me.

I think they would, since it's doesn't change the pronunciation. My mom said she would have spelled it with an h, as well.

• Love 4

I got FJ immediately but then started second guessing myself since I read  “syllable” and my brain interpreted it as “word” and started thinking “How is om a combination of many sounds? It must be a longer word...” 🙄

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

He said Sing Sing which is how I always have heard it referred to. 

Yes, Sing Sing. If the archive has that kind of error the best explanation is usually that I messed up something, which happens with so many moving parts. I'll see posts here at varying times while the quicker way to get my attention is a correction suggestion. Point your cursor at the clue number and click. From there you can submit a correction. It's fixed now, thank you.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Thanks @WhoisMark. Yesterday's episode was preempted here so I went to your archive to play the game by myself. I looked up Sing Sing afterward to make sure it really was named that and that the player answered correctly. I have never had reason to doubt J-Archive before. I maybe was going to learn something new, always a good thing. But I never want to ever throw shade on J-Archive, it's such a valuable asset for fans.

I still like my first and last prison name of Al Catraz though.

• Love 3

The first few minutes got preempted by some football thing that went right up to 7:00, then they played some commercials before saying something about returning to regularly scheduled programming that already started and showing the "joined in progress" screen for several seconds and finally cut into the show...just in time for the first commercial break. Grr.

Gabriel looks like a young, shorter-haired Weird Al Yankovic. 

I did not get FJ. 

• Love 2

I betcha during the first break they were told to stop with not saying the name of the category. 

Darn it, I should have gotten FJ considering how often I hear Uganda since I’m obsessed with The Book of Mormon. 

• Love 4

I also went to the end of the alphabet and said Zimbabwe. The geography of Africa is only slightly more challenging to me than the geography of Eastern Europe.  Too many changes since I learned it all back in middle school!

I did, however, get the TS of Madam, I'm Adam, Orly and Charles De Gaulle, Toni Morrison, heat shield, and UFO.

Kit Carson!  Too bad I couldn't remember the other guy's name....

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Kit Carson shout out!

I wondered if Gabriel is required to wear a swim cap.

I wanted to give Chandy a big shaking. What is it with female players who are afraid to bet for real in FJ, and during play they go up to the 200 clues while the boys are playing in the 1600 and 2000 end of the pool. If she had bet for real in FJ and got it, and Ryan did not, she would be the new champ. Probably best the way it worked out though, given her aversion for trying to win anything.

TS Ted! and that photo was so clearly of a "ufo." Too funny no one even tried to guess that TS.

For once, FJ was easy for me. A Brit who lived in Rhodesia used to call me in the middle of the night (daytime in Africa!) to talk about dogs. He said he lived in Rhodesia even though it was now called Zimbabwe. I looked it up on a map so knew it was south of the equator, so it had to be Uganda. Getting today's FJ kept me from tanking with another goose-egg week. Yeay me.

Big props to Ryan for his $9,000 DD gamble. See, THAT'S how you play this game, Chandy.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5

I knew it wasn't zimbabwe because too far south but could only come up with zambia, but still too far south.  Thought about sudan but really still.....no idea. 

Good game overall.  

Fun fact :. The equator does not pass through equitorial guinea. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

I ran the "CAT"egory.  I missed the most of the first segment by getting a pizza out of the oven & slicing it. I sat down with the pizza in time to say, "Swiss Miss" and then the commercial break came on.  AND, holy moley, I got FJ!

I have probably mentioned this before, but you can learn a LOT of geography on jetpunk.com.  I like to do the "countries of the world" map. 196 countries, the map is white. As you enter the country name, it turns green.  My biggest failing is Singapore & East Timor.

I didn't care for the middle dude. Glad he lost.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

John C. Fremont.

58 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I didn't care for the middle dude. Glad he lost.

Yeah, I was put off by his making a point of not having seen any of the Star Wars movies or drinking coffee. Not sure why...I don't think everyone absolutely must see Star Wars or drink coffee, but being so proud of not doing something popular always seems snobby to me. "Never have I ever" played "Never have I ever...". Do you win for having done the most things or not having done the most?

• Love 7
17 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

John C. Fremont.

Yeah, I was put off by his making a point of not having seen any of the Star Wars movies or drinking coffee. Not sure why...I don't think everyone absolutely must see Star Wars or drink coffee, but being so proud of not doing something popular always seems snobby to me. "Never have I ever" played "Never have I ever...". Do you win for having done the most things or not having done the most?

Never have I ever is one of those games you play as kids, college......being a grown man and still needing something, anything, for that game in itself is pretty lame. 

• Love 1
On 11/26/2020 at 6:58 PM, M. Darcy said:

I am shocked I got FJ right - it’s what I guessed but thought there was no way I was correct. 

I was surprised none of them knew it, but there is a reason so many older viewers with long memories are Jeopardy fans. {Recalling “Kinder, gentler” times in Kennebunkport}

Edited by shapeshifter
9 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I also was very pleased with myself for getting FJ but also spelled it o-h-m.  Judges, get in here! 😉

As did I. Googling told me all three spellings are acceptable because it’s a translation: ohm, om, and aum 

On 11/26/2020 at 7:01 PM, Browncoat said:

Oh, Alex, you got me again with your Thanksgiving message at the top of the show.  And again with how raspy his voice is.  

A stab in the heart

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4

I got Madam I'm Adam, Toni Morrison, and UFO clouds. I was slow with the French airports, saying, "Orly... and...." then running out of time.

For FJ I said Zaire. I just looked up Zaire and checked a map of Africa. Zaire was renamed the Democratic Republic of the Congo, which the Equator goes thru, so I was wrong but in a way I was in the right ballpark.

• Love 6
20 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Yes, I also heard Sing Sing.  The name of the village where the prison is located is Ossining, which I've always thought must figure in the facility's official name, but that appears to be Sing Sing Correctional Facility.   It seems Sing Sing comes from the Sintsink tribe, which sold the land that became the village to a farmer in 1685.  The village changed its name in 1901 to reduce its association with the prison, which also was formally known as "Ossining Correctional Facility" from 1970 to 1985.  And that's...more than any of us needed to know.

I don't know - seems like there are a couple of really good Jeopardy clues in that. 🙂

13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I also went to the end of the alphabet and said Zimbabwe. The geography of Africa is only slightly more challenging to me than the geography of Eastern Europe.  Too many changes since I learned it all back in middle school!

I did, however, get the TS of Madam, I'm Adam, Orly and Charles De Gaulle, Toni Morrison, heat shield, and UFO.

Mr. Starling got it - I should have as well. We used to live in the SF Bay Area, where there are lots of things named for him.

13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I wondered if Gabriel is required to wear a swim cap.

I'm not sure anyone is required to wear a cap anymore, except at competitions.

13 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I have probably mentioned this before, but you can learn a LOT of geography on jetpunk.com.  I like to do the "countries of the world" map. 196 countries, the map is white. As you enter the country name, it turns green.  My biggest failing is Singapore & East Timor.

You did, and it's on my favorites bar because of your recommendation. But I find I avoid the geography and go for the other types of quizzes instead. There's a reason I'm crap at Geography...

11 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

John C. Fremont.

I was too. Not having done something doesn't make you interesting, imo. As I understand it, you don't exactly "win" Never Have I Ever - you take a drink when you have done the item in question. So perhaps you just win sobriety.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I got Madam I'm Adam, Toni Morrison, and UFO clouds. I was slow with the French airports, saying, "Orly... and...." then running out of time.

I got Charles de Gaulle but not Orly. I'm guessing Madam I'm Adam was in the first part of the first round that my stupid station made me miss, because I don't remember hearing that one. But I got the other two! (Morrison was instaget before he even finished reading because I looked up and the book title was the first thing I saw.)

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I got Charles de Gaulle but not Orly. I'm guessing Madam I'm Adam was in the first part of the first round that my stupid station made me miss, because I don't remember hearing that one. But I got the other two! (Morrison was instaget before he even finished reading because I looked up and the book title was the first thing I saw.)

The only reason I got both de Gualle and Orly is because my kid did a year abroad - and entered France at one of them, and left from the other.  I was busy checking flight information both times (a bit obsessively...)

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I'm guessing Madam I'm Adam was in the first part of the first round that my stupid station made me miss, because I don't remember hearing that one.

I think it was, and two of the contestants inexplicably answered some version of Sam I Am. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

We used to live in the SF Bay Area, where there are lots of things named for him.

As is certain a street in downtown Las Vegas.

I didn't think not ever seeing a Stars Wars film or drinking coffee was such a big deal. Mormons don't drink coffee or anything with caffeine, and after seeing the first Star Wars at the second-run theater when I was in college, I never saw another. And I've never seen any of the Twilight saga, nor read any of the books. And I never took a drink of coffee until I was in my late 30s and a boyfriend showed me how to load it up with sugar and creamer so it no longer tasted like coffee. So I could have a real Never Have I Ever competition with Gabriel.

3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I'm not sure anyone is required to wear a cap anymore, except at competitions.

Way to spoil my weak stab at his occupation of swim instructor.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 4

I was feeling petty, so I'm glad I'm not the only one who was not vibing with Gabriel.  "I'm so pleased with myself for not having done these common and innocuous things" is just insufferable hipster nonsense.  I would've felt totally differently if instead of "I've never tasted coffee" and "I've never watched a 'Star Wars' film," his fun fact had been, I don't know, "I start every morning with yerba-maté" or "I've seen every one of Hitchcock's films."  No need for anything chichi either.  I would rather have heard about his love of Mountain Dew or the Muppets than what he doesn't do.  Also, I know it's not right to judge a book by its cover, but I swear I could smell the stale bong water during close-up shots.  Ah well!  He's been on "Jeopardy!" one episode longer than I have, so good for him.

Pretty good game, though, with the lead shared around.  I was disappointed I couldn't come up with Toni Morrison.  All the names of her novels flashed across my brain instead.  I recall the day she died last year.  By coincidence, a documentary about her was playing at a local historic theatre I hadn't tried yet.  My train was a little late so instead I slipped into a nearby bookstore to purchase "Love," which I hadn't read yet.  I installed myself in the Wingstop across the strip mall from there and tore through 150 pages over a combo.  I hadn't read a novel in some time, and it was just magical!  If I was asked to describe my perfect day, that one would be pretty close.  So why did I blank on her name?!  Moments like these make sure I remember not to be too hard on people under the lights.

• Love 6

Okay, I am an old school traditionalist player so I will hate with every fibre in my being JAMES because he made it okay for these mediocre players to jump in the deep end and MISS the correct questions and leave a board full of gaps and TS because they are NOT JAMES.  I hated Gabriel from the minute he controlled the board until the minute he missed the DD and I thoroughly enjoyed watching him lose everything. Yes, I am an evil person, and I will forever hate JAMES for ruining my enjoyment of my favorite game. Uck!

ETA I got Uganda, Gabriel, so HAH!

Edited by Red Bridey
needed to boast for a minute
  • LOL 3
21 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Way to spoil my weak stab at his occupation of swim instructor.

I humbly beg your forgiveness. I must have been in one of my literal phases.

11 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Never Have I Ever... read or seen any Harry Potter book or movie.  It just doesn't interest me. But, jeez, never tasting coffee, even if to see if you hate it, is freakin' weird.

Mr. Starling has never tasted coffee. As he told me during that interview - the smell was enough to tell him he wasn't going to like it. And, to be fair, if something doesn't smell good to you, it doesn't generally taste good. Having been raised by a parent from the South, and a parent from Europe - and in the military - I didn't know until I was a grown woman that there were people who didn't drink coffee. And for some odd coincidence, I married two of those outliers.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
21 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Mr. Starling has never tasted coffee. As he told me during that interview - the smell was enough to tell him he wasn't going to like it. And, to be fair, if something doesn't smell good to you, it doesn't generally taste good. Having been raised by a parent from the South, and a parent from Europe - and in the military - I didn't know until I was a grown woman that there were people who didn't drink coffee. And for some odd coincidence, I married two of those outliers.

There's a Nestle plant in my town, which Google tells me produces freeze-dried coffee (among other things) and when it's going to rain the whole area smells like coffee. I grew up with that smell and I love it. But I can't stand to drink the stuff. (I do put espresso powder in hot chocolate, sometimes, but straight coffee I can't do. Coffee-flavored hot chocolate=Good. Chocolate-flavored coffee=Nope.) So I've never actually drunk a whole cup of coffee. Never considered that to be any kind of point of pride, though.

• Love 4

Count me among the never coffee drinkers.  I like the smell (associated with mornings growing up since both parent Grundoons drank it) but know I wouldn't enjoy the taste.  Never would I ever use it as an interesting Jeopardy factoid.

Madam I'm Adam is the first palindrome I learned, Orly is the first airport I landed at to visit Paris and Kennebunkport & Kennebunk were frequently stops on family visits to Maine (including last year when Mother Grundoon and I ate delicious clam rolls while looking at the river).  

I laughed out loud when Kit Carson was part of the clue and did get John C. Fremont.

But Alex's Thanksgiving intro was one of two times I lost it on Thursday- the other being when Santa arrived at the end of the Detroit Thanksgiving parade.  I am grateful this year for this board- y'all have helped me through some difficult times- thank you.

• Love 9
14 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

But, jeez, never tasting coffee, even if to see if you hate it, is freakin' weird.

From the Aug. 18, 2019 LA Times: Coffee is still a no-go for Mormons even if you call it caffe or mochaccino. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has published new guidance that seems to be aimed at younger Mormons as a reminder that coffee-based drinks are prohibited.

2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I humbly beg your forgiveness. I must have been in one of my literal phases.

Forgiveness is granted. Abracadabra, eezy peezy!

14 hours ago, Red Bridey said:

I will forever hate JAMES for ruining my enjoyment of my favorite game.

@lb60, is that you?

A while back we had a discussion about what our most interesting interview topic would be if we ever got on the show. Based on that, I can't rank on anyone's interview, including Gabriel's. I just wish Alex would have asked him about the swim cap.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I also noticed that Chandy didn’t have the winners instinct. I was only able to come up with Orly and DeGaulle, and Untied Kingdom. 
I never came up with Uganda either, but knew it wasn’t Zimbabwe. 

I heard Kit Carson. Does that mean I have to come up with a dinner 😂?  

Edited by Mindthinkr
Capitalization
  • Love 3
On 11/27/2020 at 9:57 PM, peeayebee said:

For FJ I said Zaire. I just looked up Zaire and checked a map of Africa. Zaire was renamed the Democratic Republic of the Congo, which the Equator goes thru, so I was wrong but in a way I was in the right ballpark.

I was wondering if judges would give credit for former names so Zaire might be ruled correct. Then I looked at a map, and a tiny toe of the former Zaire touches the ocean. So, never mind. (Still, it was a good wrong answer.)

I heard Kit Carson. Does that mean I have to come up with a dinner 😂?  

Yes! Of course! I will perform a solo dance while you whip up something delicious.

Untied Kingdom

A typo, I know, but ha ha ha.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1