Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, PaulaO said:

My friend pronounces the L in salmon.  Kinda makes me mental but I would never correct her.

And I have a dear friend who does it with almond (pronouncing it "Al" like the name + mond).  Sometimes I have to remember that I love them very much.

In a desperate attempt to stay on topic, St. Bernard and Cats were easy peasy for both me and the husband.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Miss Anne Thrope said:

And I have a dear friend who does it with almond (pronouncing it "Al" like the name + mond).  Sometimes I have to remember that I love them very much.

Whereas I have to remind myself of the same thing about people who don't pronounce the L in "almond."

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

From Twitter:

As we remember and celebrate the life of Alex Trebek, we will air 10 of his best episodes the weeks of 12/21 and 12/28, and air his final week of episodes starting 1/4.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Bliss said:

From Twitter:

As we remember and celebrate the life of Alex Trebek, we will air 10 of his best episodes the weeks of 12/21 and 12/28, and air his final week of episodes starting 1/4.

Did they realize a lot of stations might preempt them on Christmas?

Someone wrote on that post, "I love that he brings us out of 2020 and into 2021, where hopefully better times await." Let's hope so!

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I imagine they did.  There was discussion a couple weeks ago that some people would be affected by the NBA and their annual quintuple header on Christmas Day.  Add that to a lot of people on Thursday, 12/24 occupied with their last minute stuff, Church, dinner, etc.  Despite the plan to air them as scheduled, I was sorta hoping it would get pushed back to 2021 because of the holiday obligations (even in this weird year)

• Love 5

Of all categories, the one I ran was Hammers...? (also Internal Organs).

Re: the dagger clue - I just watched Macbeth (with Patrick Stewart) last night!

Henry reminds me of Ryan Gosling in We Are the Titans (it's the hair).

• Love 4

i did not get FJ.  I totally knew it when Alex mentioned the "Plan."    Oh well.  I can't know everything:)

I got the TS of hatch, coo and Born to Run.

I got the entire categories of internal organs, behind the music and double gs.

• Love 2

My FJ streak is over -- I couldn't come up with Marshall for anything.  Boo, hiss.

For TS, I got hatch, coo, Born To Run, and krugerrand.

Loved seeing Alex tap dance!  But I can't imagine trying to tap and jump rope at the same time.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Loved seeing Alex tap dance!  But I can't imagine trying to tap and jump rope at the same time.

When Penny Marshall played Myrna, Oscar's secretary on The Odd Couple, she did a hula/tap dance that was hysterical.

I forgot to mention I got most of the Clarks and, surprisingly, all the double Gs.  My pre-guess was toggle and that one didn't show up.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

When I was messaging my station re:the episode from Friday Nov. 6, I saw I’d sent a message to the station last December.  I don’t think they ever showed that one either.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Me too. When I used to visit my parents I could only answer the occasional bible category entry before them.
I don't know if it's because I'm old and retired now and have time to digest so-called common knowledge, or if it's because I subscribed to the NY Times crossword and am trying to increase my speed.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

My pre-guess was toggle and that one didn't show up.

Mine was gaggle, as in geese. That didn't show up either.

The Hammer category was simple for me. When I bought this house, I tore some rooms out and rebuilt them, and built my own kitchen cabinets. Waiting for a Saw category next.

Got a laugh that Scott Bakula, Quantum Leap and NCIS was in a clue, this after our discussion in Small Talk last week.

I think coo was my only TS. Woo hoo rhymes with coo.

I don't often have a major problem with clues (I know, right?) but that DD in the 2000 spot about the Ohio astronaut senator was such a no brainer.

I wonder if "wiggle" would have been accepted instead of "jiggle" for what you can do to a doorknob. And while I'm here, I've never jiggled or wiggled a doorknob. What kind of stupid clue was that anyway?

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

I got "Kruger" from Arrested Development.  Remember when George Sr bribes the other inmates in coins not to heckle Lindsay when she comes to visit, and he has to tell her not to keep throwing herself at them because he doesn't have any more krugerrands?  Just think, my AD rewatches could've earned me $2000!  I'll never "get off Netflix and do something with yourself" again. 😉

Two more weeks of "best of Alex" before guest hosts will make a nice sorbet between courses, as it were.  I'm not particularly ready, but he'd want the show to go on.  I wonder who "from the family" will turn up besides Ken?  No one comes to mind, but I'm open.

I know the GEICO clue is not "canon" but it annoyed me tonight.  The clue was "the gecko visited this amusement park..." with a photo, and the answer given was "Coney Island."  Coney Island in Brooklyn is not an amusement park.  It is a district or neighborhood.  The amusement park pictured was Deno's Wonder Wheel Park.  The other currently operating amusement park in CI is Luna Park.  There was the late lamented Steeplechase Park, closed by that winner Fred Trump and undeveloped for years.  Etc.  "Disney World" is also not an amusement park.  Yes, I'm a lot of fun at parties, thank you for asking!

Edited by 853fisher
"any more," not "anymore," while I'm being pedantic
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Re: the dagger clue - I just watched Macbeth (with Patrick Stewart) last night!

Henry reminds me of Ryan Gosling in We Are the Titans (it's the hair).

Robin williams in dead poet society is how I remember dagger.  

So ken jennings will be guest host after Christmas. I am surmising it's like a try out and if he does well it will be permanent but that has not been stated.

I knew FJ after Alex gave the clue about it. That doesn't help much. Didn't know marshall was a secretary of state. 

3 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

So ken jennings will be guest host after Christmas. I am surmising it's like a try out and if he does well it will be permanent but that has not been stated.

I wonder if the guest hosts are like live auditions for their short list or if they've already decided and this is just a way to ease the transition.

I recently read an essay by Roger Dobkowitz, who produced almost 25 years of "The Price is Right," ending with the first year of present host Drew Carey's tenure.  He seems really embittered, having been let go, so I take his comments with a grain of salt.  But I was interested to read about the number of audition shows taped with different potential hosts, which sounded like they could just about have been aired if CBS had wanted.  If they're going to go to that kind of trouble, might as well air 'em, eh?

There's also the chance that it's just a formality and they know who they want.  It'll be really interesting.  I hope someone writes a "tick-tock" about it all in a few years.  Question to our fabulous mod: is it worth creating a separate speculation thread, similar to the thread remembering Alex?  I guess this is more directly S37 discussion than that was.  Just thought I would throw that idea out there.  I don't want to send anyone here strictly for game discussion off the deep end. 🙂

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

There's also the chance that it's just a formality and they know who they want.  It'll be really interesting.  I hope someone writes a "tick-tock" about it all in a few years.  Question to our fabulous mod: is it worth creating a separate speculation thread, similar to the thread remembering Alex?  I guess this is more directly S37 discussion than that was.  Just thought I would throw that idea out there.  I don't want to send anyone here strictly for game discussion off the deep end. 🙂

There's already a Who is... Alex Trebek's replacement? thread.

• Love 2

I believe that someone started a discussion ages ago about the Jeopardy curse. It's somewhat like the Sports Illustrated cover curse, only with the Jeopardy curse, someone dies.

Well, the Jeopardy curse has struck again with the death of former NYC mayor David Dinkins on Monday, November 24. He was the subject of a clue on November 5. 

Does it count if it's 19 days later?

• Love 4
7 hours ago, j5cochran said:

I believe that someone started a discussion ages ago about the Jeopardy curse. It's somewhat like the Sports Illustrated cover curse, only with the Jeopardy curse, someone dies.

Well, the Jeopardy curse has struck again with the death of former NYC mayor David Dinkins on Monday, November 24. He was the subject of a clue on November 5. 

Was the clue that long ago?  As soon as I saw the newsline that David Dinkins had died I thought of the Jeopardy curse.  The fact that he was 93 was possibly  a contributing factor.

• Love 8
13 hours ago, Katy M said:

i did not get FJ.  I totally knew it when Alex mentioned the "Plan."    Oh well.  I can't know everything:)

I know all about the Marshal Plan, except for the fact that Marshall was the Secretary of State at the time. I didn't get it. Mr. Starling got it at the last second and I smacked my head!

I ran the double g category. Apparently I'm good at that sort of thing - having run the "ize" category last week. But I'm crap at re-arranging letters to come up with an answer. I hate any category that makes me do that. Possibly because they don't keep the words up on the screen, but more likely because I'm dim that way.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Loved seeing Alex tap dance!

When I was on the show, one of my fellow contestants, in her story, talked about tap dancing, and Alex said that he had always wanted to learn how to do it.  So I was a little surprised to see him doing it like it was old hat to him!

• Useful 5
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, MrAtoz said:

When I was on the show, one of my fellow contestants, in her story, talked about tap dancing, and Alex said that he had always wanted to learn how to do it.  So I was a little surprised to see him doing it like it was old hat to him!

Maybe he was inspired by that contestant and went out and learned.  Unless you were on 3 weeks ago.  I have no idea when you were on.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Katy M said:

Maybe he was inspired by that contestant and went out and learned.  Unless you were on 3 weeks ago.  I have no idea when you were on.

I taped in February 2018.  I suppose there would have been time for him to take some lessons.  Possibly he did it as a bucket list kind of thing.  If so, I'm glad he was able to learn it.

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

I taped in February 2018.  I suppose there would have been time for him to take some lessons.  Possibly he did it as a bucket list kind of thing.  If so, I'm glad he was able to learn it.

Well if he did:

"Good for you, Alex Trebek."

I don't know what is wrong with me.  Typing that made me tear up.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, j5cochran said:

1 hour ago, Trey said:

Was the clue that long ago?  As soon as I saw the newsline that David Dinkins had died I thought of the Jeopardy curse.  The fact that he was 93 was possibly  a contributing factor.

(remembers having heard "David Dinkins" being said in what I had believed to had been a certain round of the "Jeopardy!" often discussed here originally broadcast on the eighteenth day of this month of November (specifically after a certain part of the round involving a clue regarding a certain mayor); does not remember hearing "David Dinkins" being said in any round of the same "Jeopardy!" originally broadcast on the fifth day of this month of November)

Edited by Mario500
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

How many episodes so far until the Trebek episodes are done?

Based on the original end date of December 25th, I think it should be 24 new episodes including tonight's (Nov 24). (Assuming there was no break for Thanksgiving, though it may get preempted that day...)

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, Mario500 said:

(remembers having heard "David Dinkins" being said in what I had believed to had been a certain round of the "Jeopardy!" often discussed here originally broadcast on the eighteenth day of this month of November

Thank you.

It was a good game.

I got the ts's or missed DDs of hatch, coo, Massachusetts, Mordred, and Kruger.

Got FJ, but not easily.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, j5cochran said:

If you had asked me when Dinkins clue was aired, I would have said, oh, sometime last week. So yes, it counts as part of the Curse.

2 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I taped in February 2018.

The old timers here (*cough*) were cheering @MrAtoz on to his multi wins!

Am I the only one who didn't see Alex tap dancing? I guess that happens when I use the interviews and commercial breaks for letting dogs in and out or doing other miscellany.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Am I the only one who didn't see Alex tap dancing? I guess that happens when I use the interviews and commercial breaks for letting dogs in and out or doing other miscellany.

Not just you, I missed it too.  Was it during the interviews?

• Love 2

I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought that about Dinkins.  I was feeling a bit ghoulish.  At least I know I have company. 😉

I'm also very excited that my college thesis advisor was allowed to announce today that he will be on next Tuesday, Dec 1.  We met at his last school, but look for "a college professor from San Diego."  I think the world of him and feel he has a great base of knowledge.  He also does well under pressure.  So I believe he could do very well!  At any rate, I'm pleased he had the opportunity to meet Alex and achieve his dream to appear during such a difficult time.  Done typing now, fingers back to tightly crossed.

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

At any rate, I'm pleased he had the opportunity to meet Alex and achieve his dream to appear during such a difficult time. 

I've been wondering how the people on the current games are feeling while watching them, knowing that they were among the last to meet Alex. 

• Love 2
Just now, ams1001 said:

I've been wondering how the people on the current games are feeling while watching them, knowing that they were among the last to meet Alex. 

He is a master of prose, so I look forward to reading what he will say after the airing.  Perhaps he'll give me permission to repeat it here.  Dare I hope he continues into Ken's time so we can benefit from his thoughts on that too?  I dare, why not?  🙂

• Love 4

I was stunned that I heard myself yell out "Magna Carta"...and got it right. I also was a bit excited at the "Daydream Believer" reference as I'm a huge John Stewart fan. He wrote the song for the Monkees. God rest his amazing soul.

• Love 7