Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Athena

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

@Trey, I picked a new penguin avatar -- an Adelie, my favorite penguin.

A beautiful penguin.  Adelie was the only guess I could come up with for FJ the other day.

5 hours ago, Bastet said:

but other than that I only missed one in August (maybe the photo would have lead me to guess icebreaker, but I doubt it) in the first round.

The photo showed a ship breaking ice so you would most likely have got it.

My only ts was apricot, which I pronounce with a short a, in case anyone was wondering.

MY two guesses for FJ were Egypt and Liberia, although I have no idea who I thought they became independent from.

Ethiopia is another FJ writers favourite.

  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Mike Richards was probably low on my list of people they could’ve picked….as long as he doesn’t end each episode with the “make the world a kinder place” spiel I guess I’m fine. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/9/2021 at 10:22 PM, shapeshifter said:

It didn’t look like porcelain to me, and I used to work with porcelain. 🤷🏻‍♀️

It didn't, particularly, but if I've learned nothing else from Antiques Roadshow and the like, I know that Sevres = porcelain.

  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/10/2021 at 8:20 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

Arc for arc of the covenant? Come on!!

That one absolutely should not have been ruled correct.  It begged for a bms at the very least.

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I got Rodney Dangerfield. Mr Buck’s impression gave it to me and apricot. 
On a shallow note I thought Brianna was cute and enthusiastic. I liked her. 
No FJ for me. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
46 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I said cockadoodle too, but I know nothing about the poodle mixes. I kind of prefer cockadoodle, it's fun.

It's so much better that cockapoo! Doodle is fun to say. (And the first breed, at least that I ever heard of, in the genre of poodle mixes, was the Labradoodle.)

That said, for some reason I had a mental block and didn't come up with either potential response in time.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

14 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Joe does get a little yell-y, doesn't he?

Or, to reverse an analogy, Joe TALKS IN ALL CAPS.

  • Laugh 11

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, HissyFit said:

Or, to reverse an analogy, Joe TALKS IN ALL CAPS.

Yes, I like that. But he seems good-natured and I can take it for two more games. I'll be glad when the guest hosts are done and they get settled into the new season. I looked at the TV listings for next week and also the following Monday/Tuesday (which is as far as the listings go) and it says "Around the World with Alex." Then there are two more weeks before the new season starts...TOC rerun or more Alex nostalgia..? (I'd like to see the TOC rerun just to watch Buzzy host again.)

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I came up with Anonymous, but I was sure I was using the term from Elementary. 😄

15 hours ago, Roaster said:

I had the same problem, plus I kept flashing on Mr. Robot's group, which was called fsociety.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Re cockapoo etc.:  On an episode of "The Dick Van Dyke Show" a character referred to such a dog as a poocock. He also called himself a Freek, because he was half French and half Greek.

I strongly dislike cutesy names for mixed breed dogs (or anything else).

Someone once tried to tell me that all dogs descend from purebred dogs, but I don't believe it.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
43 minutes ago, Driad said:

Someone once tried to tell me that all dogs descend from purebred dogs, but I don't believe it.

My understanding is that they're descended from wolves.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Driad said:

Re cockapoo etc.:  On an episode of "The Dick Van Dyke Show" a character referred to such a dog as a poocock. He also called himself a Freek, because he was half French and half Greek.

I strongly dislike cutesy names for mixed breed dogs (or anything else).

Someone once tried to tell me that all dogs descend from purebred dogs, but I don't believe it.

I miss hearing from @saber5055 on this.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Okay, Joe's starting to annoy me tonight.

My only TS was school.

Got one in sports teams which is better than I expected. Missed one each in Islands and Seconds and two in each of the other categories. In DJ I almost ran novels but couldn't think of Mrs. Dalloway (which I hated). Missed two each in all the other categories except transportation where I missed three. And no FJ (a movie I've never actually seen, at least not all of it).

Interesting that one of the DDs was in the top row tonight...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I guessed Jaws. It really annoys me when contestants don't at least guess in FJ.  You have nothing to lose, and that seemed to be the obvious guess, making me think it was wrong, but still.  

I got the missed clues of wedding and Flying tigers.  

I got the entire category of Gershwin wrong and the entire category of moon right.

 

31 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

My only TS was school.

I said prison.  Ha ha.  tell me I 'm wrong, LOL.

  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

Rats.  So close and yet so far away.  At least Ruth made it something of a game.

Instaget FJ for me. I also got the TS of Thick As A Brick, and graveyard.

I am ready for both Joe Buck and Matt to be off my TV. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I was getting a kick out of Joe Buck tonite...he was having such fun & enthusiastic about answers, especially when Cardinals was an answer.  And now I'm listening to Joe at the "Field of Dreams" game :)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

FJ was instaget because when I tell people I like open water swimming they invariably bring up Jaws as the excuse for not doing it. (I only saw most of Jaws on a 20" TV about 10 years ago.)

Are there humans who decide where to put the DDs, or is it more like a lottery? 
I ask because the first round DD was in Matt's routine first spot of the first column for $1,000.

ETA: Got the TS of school

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

7 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Are there humans who decide where to put the DDs, or is it more like a lottery? 
I ask because the first round DD was in Matt's routine first spot of the first column for $1,000.

I'm pretty sure humans decide, but I don't know how.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, DougJones said:

Mike Richards was probably low on my list of people they could’ve picked….as long as he doesn’t end each episode with the “make the world a kinder place” spiel I guess I’m fine. 

My thoughts exactly.  I'm so tired of being lectured.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Roaster said:

Richards should end every episode with "Help control the pet population. Have your pets spayed or neutered."
 

Then he’ll be sued by two more people. Bob Barker AND Drew Carey.

Seconds late on getting FJ. As they were revealing the first two guesses it finally hit me “Oh crap, it’s Jaws, isn’t it?”, confirmed immediately by Matt.

Edited by opus
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Poor Steve had a horrible game, so I was tickled to see his "I had fun" answer for FJ.  Despite a third-place showing for her valiant effort at a comeback win, I hope Ruth enjoyed it just as much. 

I was a little surprised no one deduced graveyard from the text of the clue about shipwrecks (I didn't figure it out in time, either).  Same with the school clue (that one I guessed right away).

I performed below my average in the first round; I only ran teams, missing three in riddles, two in shirts, and one each in the rest.

And DJ was a mess; I didn't run a single category, missing three in groups and two each in all the rest.

Thank goodness FJ was an instaget so I could end on a high note.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

 

Are there humans who decide where to put the DDs, or is it more like a lottery? 
I ask because the first round DD was in Matt's routine first spot of the first column for $1,000.

5 hours ago, Katy M said:

I'm pretty sure humans decide, but I don't know how.

I'm wondering if people behind the scenes decided to put it at the top for a change to try avoiding yet another Matt runaway. There was really enthusiastic applause when Ruth bet big on the $400 DD.

FJ was an instaget for me, and I was surprised two out of three missed it without even a guess. If the answer had turned out to be a LotR movie, I would have been annoyed. (I know J! goes out of its way to avoid anything "fix-y," and yet after Matt's interview story...)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

26 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

FJ was an instaget for me, and I was surprised two out of three missed it without even a guess.

Yeah, I didn't even think about the public safety vs. commerce way An Enemy of the People fit in (as Joe explained after Matt got it right), as I know almost nothing of that play, but maybe that helped - immediately dismissing that part of the clue as a fruitless path for me to go down, the year plus blockbuster plus comparison to a story about a whale's attack made Jaws an instaget that I didn't have any reason to second guess.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

Yeah, I didn't even think about the public safety vs. commerce way An Enemy of the People fit in (as Joe explained after Matt got it right), as I know almost nothing of that play, but maybe that helped - immediately dismissing that part of the clue as a fruitless path for me to go down, the year plus blockbuster plus comparison to a story about a whale's attack made Jaws an instaget that I didn't have any reason to second guess.

I never even heard of Enemy of the People, so I just went with water monster.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

So close, Ruth, so close.

My only ts was Flying Tigers.

Jaws was not an instaget but came pretty quickly.

I've never seen Joe Buck before but I am enjoying him here on Jeopardy!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got the missed clues of wedding and Flying tigers.  

I got the entire category of Gershwin wrong and the entire category of moon right.

I got tigers but for some reason couldn't come up with flying.

It was opposite for me - ran Gershwin, nothing but crickets for moon.

9 hours ago, Bastet said:

Poor Steve had a horrible game, so I was tickled to see his "I had fun" answer for FJ.  Despite a third-place showing for her valiant effort at a comeback win, I hope Ruth enjoyed it just as much.

I think she got closer to winning against Matt than any other contestant so far. So that's something to be proud of. I was sorry that Steve had such a bad game.

FJ played right into my knowledge base, at least for this particular film. As soon as I saw An Enemy of the People, I had it.  I saw Jaws after reading the play and was struck by the similarities. I then bored my friends by trying to enlighten them. 🤣

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, GreekGeek said:
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Are there humans who decide where to put the DDs, or is it more like a lottery? 
I ask because the first round DD was in Matt's routine first spot of the first column for $1,000.

11 hours ago, Katy M said:

I'm pretty sure humans decide, but I don't know how.

Expand  

I'm wondering if people behind the scenes decided to put it at the top for a change to try avoiding yet another Matt runaway.

True. The top row is more likely to be found by another contestant (Ruth), just as putting the DD in the bottom left of the first round means Matt will not yet have anything to wager other than the $1K allowed in 1st round J, which is when Matt usually wagers everything, giving him a runaway lead.

I wondered why Matt only wagered $1K for the last DD. It was probably just a calculation of risk in relation to Ruth’s standing at that moment, but if I were writing a novelization of Matt’s Jeopardy! reign in the style of author omniscient, it would be fun to have Matt initially being annoyed that they had foiled his chance for a big first round gain via a DD, and then thwarted again by a DD in the unlikely top row, which sent a competitor close to his lead, but then, when he got to the last DD, the reader of my fiction would hear Matt think, “I can do this without any big DD gains!” as he wagered just $1K.

But IRL, if Matt had crossed out Jaws for FJ and written something else, and if Ruth had written Jaws, she would have won—which totally could have happened.

And now I think I’m channeling Joe Buck giving an after-game recap.

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

I got Thick as a Brick and FJ was an instaget. I have a interesting personal story about the filming of Jaws as I went to college with the people who were in the first beach scene. I have to leave for an appointment so will have to put it in Small Talk later today. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Katy M said:

I guessed Jaws. It really annoys me when contestants don't at least guess in FJ. 

When I saw the clue on the archive, it took me a moment, but then realized that early 70s sea-related blockbuster had to be Jaws.  The reference to Enemy of the People threw me off a bit, though.

I was really amused by the inclusion of Jethro Tull.  I didn't even need to read the entire clue, just "Jethro Tull album" and knew Thick as a Brick.  And then had the title song stuck in my head, only to be replaced by Skating Away on the Thin Ice of a New Day.  (Not from the same album, though.)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I knew Final was "Jaws."  I finally saw it a few years ago and enjoyed it.  A 1975 novel and "Moby Dick" just clicked for me.  But I misread the other part of the clue and spent the next 25 seconds wondering what the common thread was between the shark and James Cagney and Jean Harlow in "The Public Enemy."  Oy.

Ruth definitely gave Matt a good run for her money.  I have thought for a while that a very early DD reveal, especially in the first round, could put his strategy in, well, jeopardy.  I liked her and would have been happy if she was "the one," but oh well!

Perhaps I'm imagining it, but I definitely thought Matt eased off for several questions at the end of the first round, as if he was trying to "let" the others get out of the hole.  If I'm right, that's sporting of him.  I don't think I could, though, even once it was down to just low value clues.  It would haunt me if in the end some fluke happened and I lost by $200 or something.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

Perhaps I'm imagining it, but I definitely thought Matt eased off for several questions at the end of the first round, as if he was trying to "let" the others get out of the hole.  If I'm right, that's sporting of him.  I don't think I could, though, even once it was down to just low value clues.  It would haunt me if in the end some fluke happened and I lost by $200 or something.

It seems that way to me too, but I think it's not smart to do that until all the Daily Doubles are used. Especially iffy to do that in the first round when there's so much money to be earned in the second round.

Matt got up to third highest earner pretty fast, but he has a loooong way to go to surpass second place.

  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, SHD said:

Matt got up to third highest earner pretty fast, but he has a loooong way to go to surpass second place.

i see Matt in number 3 for highest winnings (regular season) but he should also be listed All-time winnings at position 7 and Consecutive-Wins at position 6, but he is not listed in those two categories of the leader board, only the highest winnings regular season.

Edited by zapper

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, zapper said:

i see Matt in number 3 for highest winnings (regular season) but he should also be listed All-time winnings at position 7 and Consecutive-Wins at position 6, but he is not listed in those two categories of the leader board, only the highest winnings regular season.

I was going to post that.  I'll bet they'll announce that tonight after he wins again for the 18th time because this is the last show for Season 37 and he's going to be the returning champion for Season 38 when it begins in September.  They'll change the other categories in the Jeopardy Hall of Fame tomorrow.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Matt has to hold the record for most number of J! hosts... plus multiple seasons... plus most games won during a pandemic... just thinking out loud here.

I've been absent. On purpose. 2 of my grandkids are visiting - haven't seen them in a year! OMG, they take priority over J! or anything else... and right now my youngest is watching the FJ with me. He just said, "you should get on this show, Nana... you'd win a bunch of money!" I love this child.

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post

All right!  Nicolle came in with a smile on her face and a fast finger on the buzzer and proved herself a worthy contender.

I looked up the raw results on the Jeopardy Archive.  Matt got 24 responses right and 2 wrong.  Nicolle got 22 right and 2 wrong.  Unfortunately one of her wrongs was the Lost Tribes of Israel daily double.  (I didn't come with it either.)

Meanwhile Matt successfully executed a true Daily Double in DJ when he needed to.  More evidence that he is one of the best players ever.
 

Edited by Roaster · Reason: spelling
  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post

Ran four categories in the first round again (Events of the 1850s, No Egrets, Think Big!, and Idioms)! Missed three each in the other two categories for 80%

In DJ I ran Foundry, missed one each in Helen, Lost, and Novel Vocabulary and three each in the others, for 70%

Hmm…in the end I said Harriet Tubman and Sojourner Truth, but I also said Susan B. Anthony first, so technically I did get two correct women.

My only TS tonight was Hug It Out (never even seen Entourage)

Final score (counting FJ as correct because the rules in my living room are kinda lax like that): 75%

41 minutes ago, Roaster said:

All right!  Nicolle came in with a smile on her face and a fast finger on the buzzer and proved herself a worthy contender.

I looked up the raw results on the Jeopardy Archive.  Matt got 24 responses right and 2 wrong.  Nicolle got 22 right and 2 wrong.  Unfortunately one of her wrongs was the Lost Tribes of Israel daily double.  (I didn't come with it either.)

Meanwhile Matt successfully executed a true Daily Double in DJ when he needed to.  More evidence that he is one of the best players ever.

I started to read your comment before the game was over and I was afraid you were going to say he lost so I clicked away from the tab real quick. I didn't want to know. (Sorry, but Nicolle bugged me, so him losing to her would have been extra sad for me.)

And it has to be shared (but youtube doesn't allow it to be embedded, apparently):

I Lost On Jeopardy!

Edited by ams1001 · Reason: typos galore
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Why the fuck can he not say “true Daily Double” or “I’d like to bet it all”?  No, Matt has to state the dollar amount.  He annoys me more with each win. 

Edited by PaulaO
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

My cable was out until after the first commercial breaks so I didn't keep score.

I got Susan B Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton.

I got the missed clues of Boeing and hug it out.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Matt's really grown on me, considering that I didn't care for him at all at first, so I was "quivering" (Crossword Clues: Q) at Final Jeopardy. Nicolle had her chance...had she answered correctly and with a Matt miss, she would have been Champ by $1.  I was surprised Matt bet that buck - it could have cost him dearly.  His smart bet was $0.  What was he thinking?

 

Edit:  Going into FJ:  Nicolle - $13,600;  Matt - $27,200.

Edited by Tunia
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

All I got tonight was Boeing.  I completely blanked on FJ.

Too bad Nicolle couldn't come up with Lost Tribes of Israel.

10 minutes ago, Tunia said:

I was surprised Matt bet that buck - it could have cost him dearly.  His smart bet was $0.  What was he thinking?

 

Edit:  Going into FJ:  Nicolle - $13,600;  Matt - $27,200.

He was thinking he didn't want a tie at the end and have to do the tiebreaker with someone as fast on the buzzer as Nicolle.

  • Like 5
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

He was thinking he didn't want a tie at the end and have to do the tiebreaker with someone as fast on the buzzer as Nicolle.

A tie/tiebreaker at least gives him another shot.  A loss is a loss. He was lucky, especially considering the FJ subject material.  I'm surprised Nicolle wasn't all over that answer!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I wish they would have an Honorable Mention game with deserving contestants such as Nicolle from today, Ruth from yesterday, and Christina from August 3.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I think Matt will make a good college professor. Good for him. He's seemed tired the last 2 games. The break will be good for him.

I wonder if a many-game winner has ever thrown their last game just because they were tired of playing...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

That was a strong challenge from Nicolle!  I'm sure she's a wonderful person but I'm not sure I would've liked to see her again. Her affect seemed a little put-on to me.  It didn't change whether she was telling us about herself or answering a question about Uttar Pradesh or Helen Mirren or the annex where Anne Frank and her family hid.  Maybe I'm a cynic, but I don't vibe with people like that.

Matt does seem to need a break.  I imagine he is probably getting some training in over the summer.  It's exciting to me to think about how strong he may come back after a little refreshment and boning up on his areas of weakness.

32 minutes ago, Driad said:

I wish they would have an Honorable Mention game with deserving contestants such as Nicolle from today, Ruth from yesterday, and Christina from August 3.

They could make a great team on "The Chase"!  I'm going back to that idea now, I guess. ;)

Edited by 853fisher
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size