Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Athena

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

I could picture the FJ Shakespeare play (I saw it outdoors 22 years ago) and I do know the title but could not pull it out of my head.
Saya, OTOH, had written "The Tempest" and crossed it out. It wouldn't have made a difference for her anyway.

3 minutes ago, chessiegal said:
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I wonder if Matt's FJ wager was intended to get the donation to an even 50 grand...

My husband and I commented on the same thing. He didn't need to make a big wager. We figured it was so a larger donation would be made if he was right, not money for himself. He is really impressive. I like him.

Well, it would be both, right? He get more money too, right? Win-win, both Matt and the charity? Or do I have that wrong?

Matt seemed to have a very tasteful new expensive suit jacket on. Perhaps pants too? 
Matt strikes me as being a little bit on the spectrum, but a nice guy.

I was troubled by the form of the word that was accepted from Matt in the JARGON category, for $2000:

• Clue:
    A legal metaphor warns against the "fruit of" this kind of tree, as it deals with evidence illegally obtained
    • Matt gave "poison" but it's "poisonous"

• Like 6

I'm sorry if this was mentioned already and I'm sorry Matt, but...

IT'S WHO IS XXXXX... WHO..... IS.... WHO IS!!!!!!

Pet peeving but it's driving me nuts.....

• Like 14
  • Laugh 2

Ugh, another Bible category already.  Of the past ten games, six have had religion categories, and four of those have been about Christianity.  There are additional such clues within categories that aren't specifically about religion, too.  It's entirely too much, and didn't used to be so ridiculously prevalent.

On the flip side, I continue to enjoy LeVar Burton's guest host run; I like his voice and his enthusiasm.  Since, for him - having states his desire to be considered for the regular hosting role - this serves not just as a fun experience and charity fundraiser, but also an audition, I wish he got two weeks so we - and the producers - could see how he does absent the first taping day nerves that everyone has to get worked out from game to game as the day goes on.

I really enjoyed the Idioms Made Fancy category.  Good thing, as it was the only category I ran in the first round (I'm giving myself credit for "devil's workshop"; it's at least just as common and fits just as well).  I missed three in fiction, two in remember, and one each in the rest.  Not terrible, but I usually do better than that in the first round.

In DJ, it was the Last Word Said in Classic Films category I particularly loved.  I ran that and Burgesses, and did better than the first round overall - I missed two each in biblical kids and AKAs, and one each in jargon and John.

My spotty Shakespeare knowledge bit me in the ass for FJ, though.  I rattled off several plays I knew it wasn't from, but didn't come up with the one that it was.  Like yesterday, this was another instance where I wanted to do a V8 head smack when the answer was revealed.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Yaaaayyyy, Matt!! Not the consensus, I know, but I enjoy watching him (LeVar, too, BTW) and I have to admit I laugh a little when he responds, because i picture all of the viewers having apoplexy when he says "What's....."

I normally don't like runaway games, especially when it's obvious early on that they're going to happen, but I did like Matt's story about 4 years of Latin and 2 years of Spanish not being enough to act as the family translator in Spain. I thought he was going to say he tried to do it with the Latin alone!

• Like 5

I'm liking Matt more and more, and he has such a shy, happy smile. Plus, he does what I do when I miss a question (answer?): duck my head while I [lightly] smack the side of it with my hand.

I agree with whomever said Lavar is trying too hard, but I don't care. I still 💗 him.

Nobody has mentioned oar vs. paddle. So I will.

• Like 10

On 7/26/2021 at 11:42 AM, PaulaO said:

My sister and I have created 2 rules that we think Jeopardy! should embrace.  1.  If you don't get FJ! correct, you cannot win the game, no matter how much money you have.  2.   You have to bet at least the amount of the clue if you hit a Daily Double.  None of this "I'll wager $100."  Don't pick a clue in that category if you don't know the category. 

Yes, 1000% to your rule #2.  I've been saying that for years.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I was troubled by the form of the word that was accepted from Matt in the JARGON category, for $2000:

• Clue:
    A legal metaphor warns against the "fruit of" this kind of tree, as it deals with evidence illegally obtained

Someone should tell Law & Order that, LOL.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2

All I could come with last night was Bridge. I like to play it. My mind wasn’t in the game last night 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Suzysite said:

I agree.  Levar's sing-songy vocal style works fine for reading to children, but he needs to calm that down for Jeopardy. It comes across as trying too hard.  I really really hope he won't be the permanent host.  

Since he really wants the gig, he is trying, probably too hard. I like his voice, but he still needs a little work. I do like his enthusiasm though. It comes across genuine to me. Last night our daughter watched with us (rare) because of Levar.  She loved Reading Rainbow, and therefor Levar.

12 hours ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Yaaaayyyy, Matt!! Not the consensus, I know, but I enjoy watching him (LeVar, too, BTW) and I have to admit I laugh a little when he responds, because i picture all of the viewers having apoplexy when he says "What's....."

I'm only starting to warm to him as a person (not that I disliked him - I just didn't connect with him)  but I always enjoy powerhouses. They're impressive as heck.

6 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I normally don't like runaway games, especially when it's obvious early on that they're going to happen, but I did like Matt's story about 4 years of Latin and 2 years of Spanish not being enough to act as the family translator in Spain. I thought he was going to say he tried to do it with the Latin alone!

That story is what started warming my cold dead heart. Anyone who shares something humbling, is okay in my book.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I suppose I should clarify -- I've always heard the phrase as, "idle hands are the devil's workshop."

On the workshop/playthings issue - I thought I was more familiar with "workshop" but apparently I've also heard "playthings" because it reminded me of a Futurama episode, The Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings:

Fry makes a deal with the Robot Devil so he can get robot hands to play the holophoner and impress Leela. In a twist of fate, Fry trades hands with the Robot Devil and writes a masterpiece opera about Leela. However, the Robot Devil has evil plans of his own.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

All I could come with last night was Bridge.

That was my only ts too.

As soon as I saw the FJ category I knew I wouldn't get it and I was right - I didn't get it.

I am not totally ignorant about Shakespeare but I have more misses than hits with that subject.

The "what's" still annoys but I am liking Matt more and more.

• Like 3

I think if I ever get on Jeopardy I will ask "why is" for everything.  

• Laugh 21

4 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Go with "Is it ___?" That'll really get people riled up. Not the usual formulation but it is a question! (Pretty sure I've heard it but not very often. I've also seen them give credit at least once for not using "Who/What/Where is" at all because the correct response was in itself a question.)

• Like 2
  • Laugh 6

I always wondered if they would accept "Could it be  ?"

Like "Could it be The Tempest?"  or "Is it The Tempest" But maybe not, because the answer to those questions are yes/no, not the wording they have in the clue.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Just saw this tweet and it made me giggle... (I'm way behind watching J! and don't have any feelings about Matt or Levar):

A: The most annoying #Jeopardy champion ever.

Q: WHAT'S Matt?

• Laugh 15

6 minutes ago, Bliss said:

Just saw this tweet and it made me giggle... (I'm way behind watching J! and don't have any feelings about Matt or Levar):

A: The most annoying #Jeopardy champion ever.

Q: WHAT'S Matt?

He's annoying me less over time but even when he did bug me I would not have said he was the most annoying, not by a long shot.

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, Roaster said:

Like "Could it be The Tempest?"  or "Is it The Tempest" But maybe not, because the answer to those questions are yes/no, not the wording they have in the clue.

It just has to be in the form of a question.  The question doesn't have to be logical.  As someone else noted "is it?" has been accepted.  I think I even remember them accepting it because they just raised their tone in a questioning manner. So, "The Tempest?"  But, I only remember that happening once.

• Like 1

The stupid local station didn't air Jeopardy today like they said they would. Their usual programming was in the timeslot. I don't know if they're incompetent, or if it was a deliberate choice, but I'm miffed. 

Will have to go looking on YouTube later. 

• Sad 2

16 hours ago, theartandsound said:

Thank you!  its been driving me up a wall!  Don't you think somebody would have pulled him aside for a short lesson in grammar?

• Like 4

17 hours ago, theartandsound said:

I startled my husband by yelling "WHO!" during the show last night.  😮

I have had ENOUGH of it.  My god, you're driving me mad, man! 

Edited by AnnMarie17 · Reason: Because Matt is making me so crazy I forgot grammar.
  • Like 6

Funny, Matt’s phrasing doesn’t bug me at all. Just a quirk.  He seems like a nice guy, not full of himself, and I am enjoying his run. There have been other champs who annoyed me more than him. 

The show never elaborated, but he is doing his PhD in computer engineering at Yale.  Not too shabby.

• Like 10
  • Useful 3

19 hours ago, theartandsound said:

Not just you.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Go with "Is it ___?" That'll really get people riled up. Not the usual formulation but it is a question! (Pretty sure I've heard it but not very often. I've also seen them give credit at least once for not using "Who/What/Where is" at all because the correct response was in itself a question.)

There was an entire category where the writers set up the contestants to just give questions as answers without the usual "who is," etc. It was "Perfect Responses for Jeopardy" on this show: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5932

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

IIRC, someone said that contestants are allowed to write "What is" or whatever before the FJ clue is read.  Do they use their own judgment on whether to write "What is" or "Who is," based on the category?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Driad said:

IIRC, someone said that contestants are allowed to write "What is" or whatever before the FJ clue is read.  Do they use their own judgment on whether to write "What is" or "Who is," based on the category?

I thought I remembered one or more posters here who were contestants say that they were given the first part of the question to pre-write before FJ ( like "who is" or "what is").  Which might explain why we got a "who is" on one of Matt's recent FJ's.

• Like 2

That didn't know Peter Sellers?

74,000 payday for Matt.  And Reading is Fundamental

• Like 8

Missed the first couple clues for a weather report....there be tornado warnings about. I'll be sure to get to the lowest floor of my second floor condo... Missed some others just because I was distracted and then my phone started screaming more warnings at me. Watched most of the second round from the hallway. Warning is in effect for another 15 minutes, at least. Typing this in the bathroom, and I closed the bedroom doors but I can hear the rain loud and clear (all my windows face the front, in the living room and two bedrooms; bathroom and kitchen are on the back wall of the unit with no windows).

TS I got: Jeff Bezos and green.

I was a little confused by the explanation of the Take a Few Letters category but I did okay in it; missed two and at least one was because I didn't hear the clue.

Didn't get FJ. I said Medellín because I figured it wasn't Bogota and I couldn't think of any other Colombian cities.

• Like 2
  • Surprise 1

I didn't get FJ -- couldn't think of anything except Bogota, and figured that was incorrect.

I did get the TS of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and Peter Sellers.

If LeVar wants this job, he's going to have to learn how to pronounce Camus.

I don't like the way Matt picks clues.

• Like 5
  • Laugh 1

I said Bogota because I don't know any Colombian geography or Phoenician words.

the only missed clues I got were John tyler and green.

I got the entire category of help right.

Petty complaint about the Springfield clue. they did d'oh to clue us in to the Simpsons, and then they chose Oregon and Missouri instead of Vermont and Oregon.

1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

I don't like the way Matt picks clues.

I don't either, but seeing how it's working for him, I doubt he'll change his ways.  And, I think he's here for the long haul.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Roaster said:

i was absolutely sure that was Woody Allen.  

• Laugh 1

The announcer threw me off in the beginning. He pronounced Dana like Donna. At first I thought it was a mistake, but then realized that must be how she pronounces it. 
Color me shocked that nobody knew Peter Sellers too. I got him, and Bezos. I have been to Colombia more than once and knew Cartagena. Matt’s total is giving me shades of James H. I’m annoyed he does all the last clues in all the categories first. 📚 Good for RIF. 

• Like 3

I knew Cartagena because of the Panama Canal Cruise my mom & I took in 92. Cartagena was one of the stops.

LeVar's gonna have to be more flexible when the responses given don't match what's on his cards. Ruling Dana wrong and then correct was weird.

• Like 4

I'm not going to stop watching now, because I refuse to miss any of LeVar Burton's shows, but I really don't like Matt.

And yes, Bach required a bms.

I knew FJ because of Romancing the Stone.  (I love that movie.)

Last night, I vacillated between Twelfth Night and The Tempest, the two Shakespeare plays which begin with shipwrecks, but did land on The Tempest in time.

I can't believe that none of them recognized Peter Sellars.  Oy vey.

21 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

We definitely could teach him, we heard it often enough.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 2

18 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

How did he pronounce it?

4 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

LeVar's gonna have to be more flexible when the responses given don't match what's on his cards. Ruling Dana wrong and then correct was weird.

He takes too long to rule in general. Drives me nuts. Hopefully he only has the one day left. Might be an unpopular opinion, but I don't want him as permanent host. I think the best ones have been the ones who blend into the flow of the show, and his long pauses and increasingly-excited shouts of YES! or whatever with each successive correct answer are getting on my nerves. My friend sent me an article which said people's impressions of him are generally positive, but one of the comments on it said he often sounds like he's talking to children and I can't disagree.

Plus, I didn't watch Reading Rainbow (I was almost 8 when it started), so I don't have the nostalgia connection a lot of people seem to.

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, jaybird2 said:

levar really annoys me.  why is he famous?

Roots, Reading Rainbow, Star Trek, Captain Planet. A bunch of TV directing. Winning a Peabody, a Grammy and multiple Emmys.

• Like 12
  • Useful 2

21 hours ago, Bastet said:

In DJ, it was the Last Word Said in Classic Films category I particularly loved.

I pre-called "day" when I saw the category title.  Gone with the Wind is my mother's favorite movie.

7 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I got Peter Sellers from the clue rather than from the photo.

Oh, I knew him from the clue, too.

22 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

• Clue:

I would've protested that one.  It was wrong.

13 hours ago, Katy M said:

Someone should tell Law & Order that, LOL.

I've never heard them say "poison tree" on L&O, only the correct "poisonous tree".

8 hours ago, Katy M said:

Now I'm wishing I'd said "Is it" for all my answers.

7 hours ago, Roaster said:

Great minds think alike, lol.

7 hours ago, ams1001 said:

He's annoying me less over time but even when he did bug me I would not have said he was the most annoying, not by a long shot.

True, there is always Austin.

2 hours ago, Driad said:

In my game, we were told which one to put.  "What is" was the way we were instructed to put it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roaster said:

Levar Burton sure lucked out on being on this week in regards to money for his charity. Today’s total may have beat out some other guest hosts’ entire weekly charity total.

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

How did he pronounce it?

It was fine.  I was trying to be funny, comparing his pronunciation to Alex's.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

24 minutes ago, vibeology said:

Roots, Reading Rainbow, Star Trek, Captain Planet. A bunch of TV directing. Winning a Peabody, a Grammy and multiple Emmys.

thanks....i'm only familiar with roots and star trek and don't remember him.......but in my defense i am approaching 76!   

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, jaybird2 said:

thanks....i'm only familiar with roots and star trek and don't remember him.......but in my defense i am approaching 76!   

He was Kunta Kinte in Roots, the main character as a young man.  And he was the engineer on Star Trek: the Next Generation.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

He was Kunta Kinte in Roots, the main character as a young man.  And he was the engineer on Star Trek: the Next Generation.

thank you!

The episode is pre-empted here for the NBA draft, so I just read the archive.

Yikes.  I knew I wasn't a Beatles fan, but I wasn't expecting to blow the entire category.  Other than that, I had a good first round, missing one each in something (the text of the Jon Stewart clue is incomplete on the archive, so I had no idea, but I know if I'd been able to see the picture, I'd have identified him regardless of what the rest of the clue says, so I'm giving myself that one and calling the Tyler TS my only miss) and everywhere (I ran that one, but took way more time than I'd have had if watching to spit out Mombasa, so I have to deduct one).

In DJ, I was terrible in noble laureates; between the ones I didn't know and the ones where I couldn't get the name from my brain to my mouth quickly enough to count, all but one go down as misses.  It was just not my round; I didn't run a single category.  At least I only missed one each in military abbreviations (a pleasant surprise), head & hands, letters, and actors (I don't think being able to see the picture would have helped with Josh Hartnett).  I missed two in richest people.

I didn't get FJ, either. 

53 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I'm 65 and the main thing I knew him from is Roots.  I knew he was on Star Trek and Reading Rainbow, but I've never seen any episodes of either of those. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, SHD said:

Levar Burton sure lucked out on being on this week in regards to money for his charity. Today’s total may have beat out some other guest hosts’ entire weekly charity total.

Yes, but, OTOH, LeVar also hosted the most boring (and arguably most annoying) week on Jeopardy! since the guest hosts started.
I mean, clearly Matt knew all the Beatles songs. Couldn't he have sung a couple of the titles to spice things up? I sang the last one and I have a terrible toothache.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 7

I love it when I run a music category and the Beatles was no exception. If they had an entire category dedicated to Slipknot or System  of a Down, I'd be lost but I'll take a win no matter what.

I really am not liking that Matt gets ruled favorably too often. To me, Resident Assistant should NOT have been ruled correct. Advisor was the correct answer. Since when did half answers get credit? If that's the case, they should only get half a point.

I know this is a competition and we want to root for the very best but I noticed when Ken or even James had a sizable lead, they'd back off the board late in the game so the other contestants would have SOME money to play with in the game. Matt should have done the same to allow that one guy (name escapes me) in the Final Jeopardy.

Matt still annoys me....and I think we're stuck with him for awhile...sigh...

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Bastet said:

(the text of the Jon Stewart clue is incomplete on the archive, so I had no idea, but I know if I'd been able to see the picture, I'd have identified him regardless of what the rest of the clue says, so I'm giving myself that one and calling the Tyler TS my only miss) 

It referred to "this future Daily Show host" (so right there you've only got three possibilities) and something about being funniest in high school or something (someone will correct me, I'm sure, but I can't remember), with a pic of young Jon. If you watched him with any regularity, I'm sure you'd recognize him.

jon-stewart-senior-photo.png

4 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

To me, Resident Assistant should NOT have been ruled correct.

It was Resident Assistant at my college.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 6
  • Useful 1

Just now, ams1001 said:

It referred to "this future Daily Show host" (so right there you've only got three possibilities) and something about being funniest in high school or something (someone will correct me, I'm sure, but I can't remember), with a pic of young Jon. If you watched him with any regularity, I'm sure you'd recognize him.

Oh yeah, I'd have known that one in a heartbeat.  The archive just says "Not surprisingly, this".  Without being able to see the picture contained within "this", I had no shot.

• Like 1