Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Athena

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Cotypubby said:

Charlotte’s Web. It was an instaget, I just had to double check I was giving the correct character they were looking for. 

My recommendation though is to not do what I did and shout answers while eating pecans. I have some vacuuming to do.

I assume this is the same for popcorn, doritos, or potato chips.

Edited by nokat
  • Laugh 10

Share this post


Link to post

I never read Charlotte’s Web so hadn’t a clue for FJ.  But I got Covent Garden straight away!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

The church TS surprised me, with religion ruled out. 

I said mind.  My own mind is my own mind.

 

7 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Jeez, none of them had heard of spinnerets before!? I thought that was so easy. What’s a book with a spider? Charlotte’s Web. It was an instaget, I just had to double check I was giving the correct character they were looking for. 

i thought it had to do with weaving. Which lead me to spend a lot of time thinking about Silas Marner.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Jeez, none of them had heard of spinnerets before!? I thought that was so easy. What’s a book with a spider? Charlotte’s Web. It was an instaget, I just had to double check I was giving the correct character they were looking for. 
 

“Little Barbershop of Horrors” made me laugh. Like a combo of Sweeney Todd and Little Shop.

It was one of those Easy If You Know It questions. People may have heard of Charlotte's Web, but you would need to know more than that to come up with Wilbur the pig. 

Now I'm laughing at the thought of a Sweeney Todd/Little Shop of Horrors crossover. I wondered why Andre threw "Barbershop" in there, and then you reminded me there is a horror musical set in a barbershop. 

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

What did you have against Andre? 

Nothing specific initially, just a general irritation right from the introductions.  Then the leaning, and the immediate jumping to the bottom  of the category made significant contributions.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Instaget FJ for me tonight, but then I had to re-read the clue to make sure I chose the correct character.  I did.  And I get an asterisk for it!

Yes! Love when we get an asterisk!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Quote

Before bringing Jairus' daughter back to life, Jesus tells her weeping family she is not dead, but is only this

For this clue, did anyone else answer "mostly dead"?  I knew the correct answer but that made me laugh.

I got the ts's or missed DDs of jeted/jetted, cuter/cutter, conchology, and Elijah.

No clue for FJ.  I thought spinnerets had something to do with fishing so thought of The Old Man and the Sea  or Moby Dick or something seafaring.  I've read part of Charlotte's Web but not enough of it apparently.

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Katy M said:

I didn't have an answer for FJ.  I wonder if th emiddle contestant meant Sancho Panza as opposed to Pancho Villa?

I got the missed clues of Morpheus, conchology, thanatology and Elijah.

I got the entire category of laws right.

That's a good theory (Sancho Panza). Makes a lot of sense.

I did not know "thanatology" - except to say when the answer was given "Oh, so that's why they named him Thanos!"

10 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Jeez, none of them had heard of spinnerets before!? I thought that was so easy. What’s a book with a spider? Charlotte’s Web. It was an instaget, I just had to double check I was giving the correct character they were looking for.

I spent a second confusing spinnerets with minarets, and then was "Okay what are spinnerets" - came to spiders and thus the correct answer.

3 hours ago, Katy M said:

I said mind.  My own mind is my own mind.

 

i thought it had to do with weaving. Which lead me to spend a lot of time thinking about Silas Marner.

I said mind as well.

1 hour ago, Trey said:

For this clue, did anyone else answer "mostly dead"?  I knew the correct answer but that made me laugh.

Yep, that was the answer on our couch too. 😄

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

Weird game tonight. It might be because unexpectedly met up with some friends and wine was consumed. I got acoustics, Samuel (total guess) and had no idea for FJ. I’ve never read Charlotte’s Web. This is the second time I think a clue was related to the book so I’ll have to add it to my reading list. 
 

Where is @saber5055?  

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I did not know "thanatology" - except to say when the answer was given "Oh, so that's why they named him Thanos!" 

That was my first thought too!

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Instaget FJ for me tonight, but then I had to re-read the clue to make sure I chose the correct character.  I did.  And I get an asterisk for it!

Which is good, because I only got one TS -- Morpheus.

And it doesn't hurt my feelings in the slightest that Andre did not win.  

I'm counting the FJ as correct because I thought of Wilbur first, then thought I'd misread the clue and changed it to Charlotte.  I guess I should put an asterisk on it, though.

I wasn't minding Andre at first, but the longer the game went on, the more he reminded me of Mikey Day's character in the SNL skit where Regina King wanted the most awkward white guy possible, and not in a good way.  So I was not unhappy when he lost.

18 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I did better in the Canada category than I ever have. I didn't run it or anything, but I actually got some right, which is a win.

I did pretty well, but completely whiffed on The Yukon Territory.  I didn't realize that "The" was part of the name originally, and the only territory I could think of which did include "The" was The Northwest Territories.  Which is now Nunavut, so at least I was primed to get that one right when it showed up.

I did very badly in the Bible category, only getting sleeping and Matthew correct.  I don't feel too bad about that since I gave up on religion when I was 10, but I do usually do better in that area for some unfathomable reason.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, nokat said:

My recommendation though is to not do what I did and shout answers while eating pecans. I have some vacuuming to do.

I assume this is the same for popcorn, doritos, or potato chips.

At least those are easily vacuumed up.  Soup, not so much.

5 hours ago, Caoimhe said:

I never read Charlotte’s Web so hadn’t a clue for FJ.

Yeah, that would've helped.  Jeopardy loves Charlotte's Web (so do I), but if you've never read it, knowing the name of anything other than the title character would be difficult.

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I did not know "thanatology" - except to say when the answer was given "Oh, so that's why they named him Thanos!"

Me, too.

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’ve never read Charlotte’s Web. This is the second time I think a clue was related to the book so I’ll have to add it to my reading list. 

It's one of Jeopardy's favorite go-tos for children's literature.  It shows up a lot.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

22 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

and the only territory I could think of which did include "The" was The Northwest Territories.  Which is now Nunavut, so at least I was primed to get that one right when it showed up.

Just part of Northwest Territories became Nunavut. So we have, in order from the west, Yukon, Northwest Territories, and Nunavut.

  • Like 1
  • Useful 5

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, Trey said:

Just part of Northwest Territories became Nunavut. So we have, in order from the west, Yukon, Northwest Territories, and Nunavut.

I did not know that, obviously.  You'd think I'd have noticed the last time I looked at a map of Canada, but I guess mostly they've been maps from when everyone was searching for the Northwest Passage.

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I did not know "thanatology" - except to say when the answer was given "Oh, so that's why they named him Thanos!"

I did know that one but could not pull it out of my brain!! Very annoying.

I knew it because of the Ologies podcast episode on Corvid Thanatology, and I kept saying "Crow Funerals...what was that word?!"

  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post

FJ: The first thing that came to me was The Gutenberg Bible, but I thought: that can't be right.  I've never heard of Cardinal Mazarin, and the Gutenberg Bible is what it's always called.  I've never heard of the Mazarin Bible.

But I couldn't think of anything else.  So in the game I would have written "What is the Gutenberg Bible?" but I can't honestly say I knew it.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

Aw, I like Tyler; I was hoping he'd go further. New guy is fine, though.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I said The Domesday Book.   I think it was a better guess than Don Quixote or the Magna Carta, which isn't a book.  So, I'm feeling slightly better about myself.

The only missed clues I got were Elton John, American Beauty and the Beast and How Green was My Valley Girl, but only after the wrong answer.

I got the entire category opposites right.  Not a particularly good game tonight.

Share this post


Link to post

I initially thought Magna Carta, but changed to Gutenberg Bible in plenty of time to write it down.  I hoped Tyler would stick around a little longer.

Were there any TS in the first round?  If so, I didn't get any then, but in the second round, I got Elton John Legend, American Beauty and the Beast, bangle, and medulla.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Were there any TS in the first round?  If so, I didn't get any then, but in the second round, I got Elton John Legend, American Beauty and the Beast, bangle, and medulla.

Just checked the archive; there were not!

There were several in DJ; I got Elton John Legend, American Beauty and the Beast, and High Plains, 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Like Josh and some of you, I wrongly guessed Magna Carta for FJ, I think because with the way it was worded:

  • Completed around 1455, it sometimes gets another name because a famous copy was found in the library of Cardinal Mazarin

--it made us think of something that had different versions, including in the 15th century
--but the "Cardinal" part did make me think it should be something religious, I just didn't get to the Gutenberg.

Tyler was not wrong to bet it all, given that History had been a strong subject of his. Too bad for him it wasn't Geography though.

It will be interesting to see if Josh has Jeopardy! staying power.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Has Joel Osteen joined the J! writing staff or something?  There seem to be more bible clues than there used to be.  (I mean, any religion/mythology clue or category is not likely to go well for me, and that's obviously on me, but at least mix it up more!)  I know I'm not the first to mention this, and I'm sorry I can't recall who has brought it up before, but it bugs me and today turned out to be the day I was in a bad enough mood to complain about it.

Putting me in a better mood, I smiled at how happy George Stephanopoulos visibly was as he gave his closing remarks about enjoying this chance to guest host.

I missed three in subtitles (it would have been two, as I knew Evangeline, but I couldn't spit it out in time), and one in Grammy winners, but got everything else in the first round.

In DJ, though, I only ran SEC and 6-letter words.  I was terrible in the pop culture category, only getting the first two (which really bugged me, as I'm usually quite good at before & after categories, but it being about pop culture - where I'm hit and miss - did me in; I often only knew one part and couldn't guess my way to the other in time).  I missed three in High as well.  At least in Science & Nature and On Life I only missed one each.

I correctly guessed FJ, even though Mazarin meant nothing to me and I had no idea the Gutenberg Bible was known as anything else, just because mentioning a cardinal made me figure it was a Christian text and, given the time frame - and my limited knowledge of religious texts - the Gutenberg Bible was all I could think of.  I kind of thought that was going to turn out to be a stupid answer, but instead it turned out to be a situation where my ignorance served me well.  I'll take it!

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Do any of you like to dumb it down a bit and watch Wheel of Fortune so you feel smarter after missing the final?

  • Laugh 14

Share this post


Link to post

FJ:  From the clue I was pretty sure it was a book. The only referent I had for Mazarin was the Sherlock Holmes story about the Mazarin Stone. The year looked about right for the Gutenberg Bible so I went with that.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Roaster said:

FJ: The first thing that came to me was The Gutenberg Bible, but I thought: that can't be right.  I've never heard of Cardinal Mazarin, and the Gutenberg Bible is what it's always called.  I've never heard of the Mazarin Bible.

But I couldn't think of anything else.  So in the game I would have written "What is the Gutenberg Bible?" but I can't honestly say I knew it.

That was basically my thought process as well. “If a copy was found in a library it’s probably a book, and the Gutenberg Bible is a famous book from around then with copies, but I’ve never heard it called anything else, but I can’t think of a better answer so I’ll go with that!”

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, nokat said:

Do any of you like to dumb it down a bit and watch Wheel of Fortune so you feel smarter after missing the final?

No, because in our town, WoF comes on first.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

No, because in our town, WoF comes on first.

It's Jeopardy first, then Wheel of Fortune, which I consider a guilty pleasure.

I did not mean any insult. I'm not always the best at Jeopardy, so watching something I'm better at makes me feel less dumb.

Edited by nokat
  • Like 5
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, nokat said:

It's Jeopardy first, then Wheel of Fortune, which I consider a guilty pleasure.

I did not mean any insult. I'm not always the best at Jeopardy, so watching something I'm better at makes me feel less dumb.

Small Talk...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I came up with Elton John Legend, bangle, medulla, and Gutenberg Bible. I actually surprised myself coming up with FJ. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

For FJ my kneejerk response was King James Bible.  I realized the date was far too early.  You would have thought my mind would then go to Gutenberg Bible but it did not. I don't know where my mind went.

I did get the ts's of high plains, bangle, and How Green Was My Valley Girl.

G'bye George.  You did a good job.

Edited by Trey · Reason: correct spelling of Gutenberg.
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

 

3 hours ago, Trey said:

For FJ my kneejerk response was King James Bible.  I realized the date was far too early.  You would have thought my mind would then go to Gutenburg Bible but it did not. I don't know where my mind went.

That was my response too - clearly I wasn't getting the timeframes right. I knew it was the Bible, but instead of going to Gutenberg I went with King James thinking well, maybe this Cardinal I never heard of claimed it for himself. 

I was really ticked with myself. Given the date, and a weird little connection I have with Gutenberg, I should have gotten it. Especially since I just read a section of a German history book discussing how his printing press was a game changer, allowing the masses access to ideas not controlled by the churches.

Oh well.

It was a pretty miserable board for me. I could blame it on tiredness (and one miss was because of an unfortunately timed yawn), but I can't. It's just very little of it played to my strengths.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, nokat said:

Do any of you like to dumb it down a bit and watch Wheel of Fortune so you feel smarter after missing the final?

lol...I generally can't stand Wheel of Fortune. If I don't turn it off right after J! the contestant intros usually drive me to the remote. I was listening to a podcast episode yesterday with Katie Sekelsky talking about her experience and they started out talking about the test and audition process, and it also came up that WOF tapes next door. One of the hosts asked "if you don't pass do they put you on Wheel of Fortune?" 😮 🤣 (It was a "bonus content" episode of Stop Podcasting Yourself, but if you are a supporter of the Maximum Fun podcast network and have access to it, it's definitely worth a listen. I don't actually listen to that show (I'm a supporter for a different one) but I saw her name and Jeopardy so of course I had to.) She also mentioned that she was originally supposed to play back in March 2020 and she got the message last minute that the pandemic had shut down filming, then of course she got pushed back even further because she doesn't live in CA. So she missed her chance to play with Alex as host.

3 hours ago, Trey said:

G'bye George.  You did a good job.

I agree; I thought he did great. In part because I didn't really "notice" him. He had no annoying quirks or verbal habits or anything like that (to me, at least). 

4 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

That was my response too - clearly I wasn't getting the timeframes right. I knew it was the Bible, but instead of going to Gutenberg I went with King James thinking well, maybe this Cardinal I never heard of claimed it for himself. 

I thought King James Bible briefly but then I remembered that was early 1600s.

  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Has anyone been to Guttenberg, Iowa?  It's named after the town of Guttenberg in Bavaria, not Gutenberg the printer, but the library displays a replica Gutenberg Bible.  Guessing that the post office is flexible about spelling.

  • Like 5
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I thought King James Bible briefly but then I remembered that was early 1600s.

Unfortunately, I did not remember the dates - even though I could work it out if I was asked a Tudor/Stuart question.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

My husband and I were head slapping the Gutenberg Bible. We both knew it was a Bible, but didn't get further, even though we have seen the Gutenberg Bible.🙁

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

10 hours ago, ams1001 said:

lol...I generally can't stand Wheel of Fortune. If I don't turn it off right after J! the contestant intros usually drive me to the remote. I was listening to a podcast episode yesterday with Katie Sekelsky talking about her experience and they started out talking about the test and audition process, and it also came up that WOF tapes next door. One of the hosts asked "if you don't pass do they put you on Wheel of Fortune?" 😮 🤣 (It was a "bonus content" episode of Stop Podcasting Yourself, but if you are a supporter of the Maximum Fun podcast network and have access to it, it's definitely worth a listen. I don't actually listen to that show (I'm a supporter for a different one) but I saw her name and Jeopardy so of course I had to.) She also mentioned that she was originally supposed to play back in March 2020 and she got the message last minute that the pandemic had shut down filming, then of course she got pushed back even further because she doesn't live in CA. So she missed her chance to play with Alex as host.

Thanks for mentioning that.  I'm listening to it now.  Fun & interesting.  She was the bolo tie lady!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/16/2021 at 10:51 PM, nokat said:

Do any of you like to dumb it down a bit and watch Wheel of Fortune so you feel smarter after missing the final?

I do much better at Jeopardy than at the Wheel.  I always end up arguing with the "category."

"That's a phrase?  That's just two random words!"

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post

George definitely grew on me during the week.  I think he was probably doing a fine job all along and I was just in an awful mood Monday and Tuesday.  So of course, there he already goes.  Was this the first time they had the host announce who was coming next?

I just wasn't really getting it this episode, unfortunately.  I missed the quotations marks in "O"pposites.  When we got to the clue for "American Beauty and the Beast," I thought, hmmmm, I didn't know Perrault's character was named Lester.  Yikes.

Nothing against Josh, but I would rather have seen more of Tyler.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

Nothing against Josh, but I would rather have seen more of Tyler.

Ditto.

Tyler is filed as one of my "most favourite" contestants - excellent voice and manners, witty, intelligent... and cuter than a cutter. I'd visualized him winning the TOC someday... and I even thought, "hey - give HIM a shot at being host of J!" IMO, he's perfection.

Back to reality... I really have to do a better job of not investing so much "like" into contestants.

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

I got Gutenberg Bible instantly.  Never heard of the other name for it.  Tyler sure was cute.  Nothing like a man in uniform.  I've noticed military personnel do really well on J!

Edited by PaulaO
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

FJ was an instaget.

The only missed clue I got was Ishmael.

I got the entire categories of dish and Prague right.

Share this post


Link to post

I got half of FJ instantly, but the other half came to me in plenty of time to write it down.  

Ishmael was the only TS I got, and it was a complete guess.  I was shocked that I was right.  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Had to go to a wake so I got home juuust in time for the final....for which I will give myself a score of 3/4 correct. I got Hawaii and I knew it had to be Alaska but I couldn't think of an island (well, I thought of Baffin but that's Canada and also kind of on the wrong side of the continent, so I knew that was wrong).

Didn't really see enough to form an opinion on Robin as host; she seemed fine from the few minutes I saw.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I got Hawaii and I knew it had to be Alaska but I couldn't think of an island (well, I thought of Baffin but that's Canada and also kind of on the wrong side of the continent, so I knew that was wrong).

My thoughts were identical.

 

About Robin: She reminded me of when I am nervous in a new situation. Hopefully tomorrow will be better for her?
I really did not like her outfit. I've seen her in much more flattering garb. Hopefully that will improve too.

 

I really like the champ's voice.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

About Robin: She reminded me of when I am nervous in a new situation. Hopefully tomorrow will be better for her?

I really did not like her outfit. I've seen her in much more flattering garb. Hopefully that will improve too.

The problem with "first day jitters" on this show is they film five games a day, so our day 5 is still their day 1. 

I didn't even see what she was wearing.

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Does anyone else get distracted by the Visual clues and miss whatever they ask entirely?

I've noticed that I see pretty buildings or structures or natural wonders and think "Wow, cool. I would love to see that".

I may have no idea what the item in question is but the thrill of discovery is what I like most about Jeopardy. That and ANY music category.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I'm trying to re-set my body clock, but managed to sleep through the news, WoF, and most of J!.  I didn't see the FJ clue long enough, but considering the correct response, I probably wouldn't have gotten it. 

I was disappointed that I didn't get Ishamel - "Isaac and Ishmael" being the name of an episode of The West Wing.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

Does anyone else get distracted by the Visual clues and miss whatever they ask entirely?

I've noticed that I see pretty buildings or structures or natural wonders and think "Wow, cool. I would love to see that".

I may have no idea what the item in question is but the thrill of discovery is what I like most about Jeopardy. That and ANY music category.

Yes. Distracted by any clue times a thousand.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Some jitters and awkward slow responses aside, I thought Robin did quite well.  She was energetic and seemed very natural with the contestants, and I find her voice positively mellifluous.

I knew where Natchez is from "Show Boat," my very favorite musical. I doubt I would have known that Commerce does the census if I hadn't read about Wilbur Ross and various controversies last year.

Really, that's the dream, just listening to soundtracks and following current events and converting them into game show answers.  If only I could make it pay, I'd be in clover!

I thought I might recognize Allison but her IMDB reflects few screen credits.  It seems she is principally a stage actor.  So is her husband.  I bet those triplets have fun!

Finally, I couldn't find a good link, but "A Pretty Girl is Like a Melody" always makes me think of the Lucy episode where she books a role as a showgirl era but can't stop stealing the spotlight.  God love her.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size