Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Athena

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes, but having been recently employed in her profession in her geographic area, I can assure everyone that librarian Jen Jazwinski's  2-day total of $59,201 is more than a year's salary, and will at least positively impact her life.

That's certainly the sliver lining. I was once a librarian, also making far far less than that, so that factored into my liking her as well. Not as much as her reminding me of my youngest. I just wanted to watch her for many more nights.

• Like 8

I didn't have any particular feelings about the contestants one way or the other until the interviews.  Then I found out that Tim is an Arsenal fan, and suddenly he had to win.  Us Gooners have to stick together.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 3

On 7/9/2021 at 7:30 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

WTF?   Since when do they not need the exact name on titles? 

When I was a contestant, we were told that we could drop the "The" at the beginning of a title (as in "Old Curiosity Shop") but we couldn't change it to a completely different article ("Ye Old Curiosity Shop").  Of course, that was in 2008, so maybe it has changed.

On 7/9/2021 at 9:55 PM, GreekGeek said:

I was wondering if anyone else would cry foul on this. Also, although the Hulu series isn't the sensation it was back in 2017, it's still around, so I wasn't expecting two to have no idea and the third to bungle the title.

What's easy for one person is inexplicable for another, so I rarely judge contestants on that.  (Not never, though.)  But I would not have given Jen credit for "A Handmaid's Tale".

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

On 7/10/2021 at 7:28 PM, zoey1996 said:

I thought of Earl of Sandwich, but I didn’t know it was a business.

There's actually one at the service center on I-95 near my house.  I've never been in it, though.

On 7/11/2021 at 9:20 AM, ams1001 said:

I just looked them up; they only have 31 locations in the US (plus 1 in France, 2 in Canada, and 3 in the Philippines). The only one in my state is in Terminal A2 at Newark Liberty International Airport. Don't think I'll be trying them out any time soon.

I'm near the only one in Maryland - although it is North East, two separate words, not Northeast.  I hate when people screw that up.

• Like 1

i said stapler.  I didn't know.

I got the missed clues of Eclipse, Ella Enchanged, be , lecter, Miami and Garp.

I got the entire categories of E books, 2 words and old jobs.  I only missed 1 clue each in the other 3 categories first round.  Must have been my categories tonight.  And oddly enough the 3 clues I missed were all the $200 clues.   Weird.

Edited by Katy M
  • Like 4

For FJ waffled between ballpoint pen and mousetrap, but caught the one they wanted.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Me too. I'm sorry you had sad news.

Thank you. 

I missed the show tonight because I went out for dinner! At a restaurant! Met up with a friend I haven't seen since last year sometime.

Just looked at the archive; don't feel like going through the whole game but I did know all the E Books.

• Like 6

I ran Assam, even though I’ve never heard of that Indian state previously.

Interesting FJ outcome of guesses and wagers. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dcalley said:

2011: 10 YEARS AGO

I am surprised that Hamas was a $2K question. 

But then it’s possible none of the hundreds of students who heard me tell of the distant day in the future when the sun would expand and engulf the Earth would have known the $2K “Red Giant” question because I never used the term. 
because they were in Psyc 101 and I was explaining that the DOI (Digital Object Identifier) would outlast any URL for citing an article, perhaps even after the sun swallowed the earth, if they were living in a spaceship 🚀
—and Psyc students didn’t need to learn astronomy terms for that class. 

• Laugh 1

Chimney sweep is still a job performed regularly, not a relic of the past made obsolete by automation or other widespread changes (yes, a lot of newer homes are made with gas fireplaces rather than wood-burning, but there are still a whole lot of chimneys out there in need of regular cleaning), so I thought that was out of step with the other clues in the Old Jobs category.

The Miami Beach TS surprised me a bit.

I ran half the categories in the first round, missing five clues among the other three.  I only ran 2011 and sun & moon in DJ, missing two each in all the rest.  And I got FJ on a lucky guess, so I had another good game.

• Like 8

12 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Thank you. 

I missed the show tonight because I went out for dinner! At a restaurant! Met up with a friend I haven't seen since last year sometime.

Good for you! (in the nicest possible way). I'm going out for lunch on Friday. I haven't eaten food made by anybody else in...well, ya'll know how long it's been. And haven't been out to anywhere social in that time as well.

12 hours ago, Driad said:

For FJ waffled between ballpoint pen and mousetrap, but caught the one they wanted.

I, unfortunately, went with the pen against my better judgement.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 6

All I got was Miami, Garp, and beekeeping. When the FJ clue said spring after discarding Slinky, I thought of the ones that help hold in the flashlight batteries in place. I knew it was wrong, but my mind got stuck there. 
So no FJ for me. Also was Emma a TS? If so I got it too. 

• Like 2

A very so-so game for me.  My only ts's were be and Garp.  And I kept quiet on a lot of questions.

For FJ I said clip-on bow tie.  Those clips are patented too. I thought clothespin was a good guess and all the  answers given here were pretty good guesses.

Of course, mousetrap, in hindsight, was obvious.  "Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door."

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Katy M said:

i said stapler.  I didn't know.

I also said stapler! I thought it was a decent guess, having been the victim of that spring action when trying to load staples!

• Like 10

1 hour ago, SHD said:

I also said stapler! I thought it was a decent guess, having been the victim of that spring action when trying to load staples!

Great minds think alike:)

• Like 5

I didn't get to watch last night, and don't feel like waiting until I get home from work to watch, so I checked the archives.

I also said stapler, possibly because the spring on my work stapler keeps sproinging out.  I really need a new stapler.

It's more challenging for me to keep up with TS that I got, but I remember that I got Eclipse (no idea how, since I have never and will never read those books), and Miami.

• Like 4

I've been away for a couple of weeks - visiting family! (Not only Covid-related isolation for the past year... I also have the deep pain of living far away from my most loved ones - kids/grandkids/sisters, etc. ALL the time. The pandemic just made things more intense. What do you mean, I can't drive into Quebec?!!! Canada is a huge country, and although I love where I live (Ontario), I can't help but wish that Alberta and Quebec were much closer together!)

The human connection was so strong, I didn't even miss tv. Seriously! I thought perhaps I was becoming addicted... these past months have been spent mostly with my dog, watching 'stuff'. She prefers dog shows, or anything including 4-leggeds.

Last night was my first J! watch in over 2 weeks, and rather than wait until I catch up (nay nay), thought I'd jump into the deep end and watch the show - LIVE!

I was out of the room, listening, and could only hear the voice of Chris Sullivan (he plays Toby in This Is Us)... turned out to be someone completely different - Alex.

George was fine. His suit was fine. LOL. The contestants were fine. The whole show was fine - and I felt they missed some "easy" (EIYKI?) clues. Which always balances out my misses or don't-know-and-don't-care blanks.

My first thought for FJ was mousetrap (hate those things), and I stuck with it.

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, Bliss said:

I've been away for a couple of weeks - visiting family! (Not only Covid-related isolation for the past year... I also have the deep pain of living far away from my most loved ones - kids/grandkids/sisters, etc. ALL the time. The pandemic just made things more intense. What do you mean, I can't drive into Quebec?!!! Canada is a huge country, and although I love where I live (Ontario), I can't help but wish that Alberta and Quebec were much closer together!)

The human connection was so strong, I didn't even miss tv. Seriously! I thought perhaps I was becoming addicted... these past months have been spent mostly with my dog, watching 'stuff'. She prefers dog shows, or anything including 4-leggeds.

Last night was my first J! watch in over 2 weeks, and rather than wait until I catch up (nay nay), thought I'd jump into the deep end and watch the show - LIVE!

I was out of the room, listening, and could only hear the voice of Chris Sullivan (he plays Toby in This Is Us)... turned out to be someone completely different - Alex.

George was fine. His suit was fine. LOL. The contestants were fine. The whole show was fine - and I felt they missed some "easy" (EIYKI?) clues. Which always balances out my misses or don't-know-and-don't-care blanks.

My first thought for FJ was mousetrap (hate those things), and I stuck with it.

So glad to hear you were able to visit Family... I, too, live thousands of miles away from kids & grand-kids & siblings...its hard but they are happy where they are.  Anyway, I thought George did a good job as Host, and I said clothes-pin :)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I got Eclipse (no idea how, since I have never and will never read those books),

Same here.  Cultural osmosis, I guess.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bliss said:

I thought at times he sounded like Philip Seymour Hoffman.

The Marine Officer looks like he's in high school...

Ran Coyote and Super Genius; only missed one in each of the other categories in round 1. Then I lost track. Did not get FJ.

Sometimes I wonder what they're talking about while the credits roll...

• Like 6

i got FJ but it was a complete guess.

I got the missed clues of howl, Mrs Miniver (guess), Cleopatra (educated guess) and Jackie Coogan (with the help of the wrong answer).

I got the entire category of music wrong, but only missed one or two in all the remaining categories, so came out OK.

• Like 2

Got FJ for the first time in as far as I can remember --which isn't very far, heh.

The new champ seems like he has the potential to go far. He's got broad knowledge, he's mastered the buzzer, and no doubt he's got the stamina to do multiple games in a row. 

• Like 7

Instaguess FJ for me tonight.  Animation, three characters, plus the year brought me to the correct response.

Howl as a TS was surprising.  I got that along with Cleopatra and Coogan.  Seems like there weren't too many TS tonight.  I thought the double double rhyme category was fun.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

So glad to hear you were able to visit Family... I, too, live thousands of miles away from kids & grand-kids & siblings...its hard but they are happy where they are.  Anyway, I thought George did a good job as Host, and I said clothes-pin :)

My DD and her family (husband, daughter) live in England. I last saw them in person in mid-August 2019. They will be here in a month, and I am beyond excited!

DH said typewriter, and I couldn’t think of anything else. When I heard the correct answer, it was a forehead slap, duh! moment.

For tonight’s FJ, it was an instaget-get.

Edited by zoey1996
  • Like 5

I got howl, Mrs Minerva (watched it on TCM a short while back), and Jackie Coogan. My mind went blank on FJ and should have come up with it. Glad you are back safely @Bliss 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Instaguess FJ for me tonight.  Animation, three characters, plus the year brought me to the correct response.

Howl as a TS was surprising.  I got that along with Cleopatra and Coogan.  Seems like there weren't too many TS tonight.  I thought the double double rhyme category was fun.

I got those as well as "Phaedra," but I would question the reference to her as a "minor character" in Euripides' Hippolytus. I haven't counted who has more lines, but one could make a case for her as the main character, despite the play's title.

• Like 1

The show is pre-empted for basketball here, so I just checked the archive.  Thankfully, there were hardly any clues with visual aids, and not being able to see them didn't keep me from getting them right.

The howl TS surprised me.

I always enjoy the rhyme categories, and tonight's was no exception.

I did okay in the first round, missing two in genius (technically one, but if I was watching I wouldn't have been able to spit out John Nash in time [I'd have remained stuck on "the guy Russell Crowe played"] so I have to count that one as a miss because of the time I took to come up with it), and one each in odd history and TV siblings (I'm surprised I didn't miss more of those, since I don't watch any of the shows).

I did really well in DJ, only missing two protagonists and one in classical music (not a strong category for me, so I was pleased).

I correctly guessed FJ.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Bastet said:

if I was watching I wouldn't have been able to spit out John Nash in time [I'd have remained stuck on "the guy Russell Crowe played"]), 

I barely got it out in time; my mind went to Russell Crowe first. But it came just in time (partly because Nash died in a car crash near where I work so I always remember that.)

In one of those EIYKI moments, I confidently blurted out "Huey, Dewey, & Louie" and was right! Usually when I'm that confident, I'm wrong.  And I just noticed that even though they're pronounced to rhyme, HD&L are all spelled differently.

• Like 9

13 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I got howl, Mrs Minerva (watched it on TCM a short while back), and Jackie Coogan. My mind went blank on FJ and should have come up with it. Glad you are back safely @Bliss 

It’s Miniver. I’d blame auto-correct.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2

15 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got the missed clues of howl, Mrs Miniver (guess), Cleopatra (educated guess) and Jackie Coogan (with the help of the wrong answer).

Exactly the ts's I got.

Instaguess FJ. 

I like George as host better than I did at first.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

It’s Miniver. I’d blame auto-correct.

Thank you. Stupid autocorrect 😂

• Laugh 5

47 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Thank you. Stupid autocorrect 😂

And it even misspelled autocorrupt.

• Laugh 4

I ran Mr. & Mrs., which surprised me.  Turns out, I've seen a lot of them. I haven't seen Mrs. Miniver, but it was the first one I thought of when the category was announced, so I was pleased to get it.

FJ wasn't too difficult. It wasn't instant, but it didn't take much figuring out for me. The mister was stuck on the Spanish part, and was thinking the Three Caballeros.

I did better in the Canada category than I ever have. I didn't run it or anything, but I actually got some right, which is a win.

The marine did a fine job. Boy he looks so young, but given his training and rank, he can't be nearly as young as he looks. Then again, people are looking younger all the time, from this end of the age spectrum.

• Like 9
  • Laugh 1

Instaget FJ for me tonight, but then I had to re-read the clue to make sure I chose the correct character.  I did.  And I get an asterisk for it!

Which is good, because I only got one TS -- Morpheus.

And it doesn't hurt my feelings in the slightest that Andre did not win.  

• Like 1

I didn't have an answer for FJ.  I wonder if th emiddle contestant meant Sancho Panza as opposed to Pancho Villa?

I got the missed clues of Morpheus, conchology, thanatology and Elijah.

I got the entire category of laws right.

• Like 1

I photograph lighthouses too, but I like to climb to the top and shoot my picture through the lens.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I didn't have an answer for FJ.  I wonder if th emiddle contestant meant Sancho Panza as opposed to Pancho Villa?

That's what I figured, too. Spinneret maybe brought to mind windmill sails?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Instaget FJ for me tonight, but then I had to re-read the clue to make sure I chose the correct character.  I did.  And I get an asterisk for it!

Which is good, because I only got one TS -- Morpheus.

And it doesn't hurt my feelings in the slightest that Andre did not win.  

I got Morpheus, Stearns, jeted and jetted, Covent Garden, Thanatology, Elijah, Samuel, summer soldier, and FJ.

What did you have against Andre? 

• Like 2

At first I thought Andre was going to be the new champion. But then he lost almost all his accumulated score. I hope for his and his family's sake that he's not into gambling.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

16 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

At first I thought Andre was going to be the new champion. But then he lost almost all his accumulated score. I hope for his and his family's sake that he's not into gambling.

He was doing so well and then I noticed he only had a little over $2K and I was wondering what happened...(I generally pay more attention to how I'm doing than how they're doing, and I was barely paying attention to that tonight). Second person this week to end with 3 bucks.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ams1001 said:

He was doing so well and then I noticed he only had a little over $2K and I was wondering what happened...(I generally pay more attention to how I'm doing than how they're doing, and I was barely paying attention to that tonight). Second person this week to end with 3 bucks.

He had a lot of wrong responses. At one point George Stephanopoulos kind of groaned when Andre had yet another wrong response. I guess being fast with the buzzer can work against a player.

In contrast, Judith didn't ring in unless she knew for sure. That, combined with almost no facial expressions, would probably make her a great poker player, heh. But those are also good qualities for a lawyer. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 10

As an attorney, Judith is going to have to live down her patent answer for the copyright clue, but I was rooting for her.

The church TS surprised me, with religion ruled out. 

I missed two literary initials (Rowling and Eliot) and one in lights out (Morpheus), but otherwise ran the first round. 

In DJ, I managed to only miss two (the two TS) in the Bible category - granted, I didn't know any of them, but I correctly guessed the first three and that's a success - but I also missed two each in Thomas Paine (the two TS again), -ologies (the two TS yet again, so at least I was often in good company), architects, and musicals (it should have been one; I'd have never known Little Shop of Horrors, but I cannot believe I didn't come up with The King and I based on the clue) - science was the only category I ran. 

And I had no idea for FJ.  So, after round one I was pretty off my game tonight.

52 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I'd have never known Little Shop of Horrors

I knew Little Shop of Horrors  and at first thought maybe this was one of those combo categories when Andre said "Little Barbershop of Horrors."
I think this was one of Andre's wrong answers that made George sigh.
I knew it because my former boss of many years--who was a film buff--had a large thorny plant that she referred to by that title, and so I watched the movie when it turned up on TV. 
Hmmm, it looks like there is going to be a remake: wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Shop_of_Horrors_(film)#Remake and wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Shop_of_Horrors_(musical)#Planned_feature_film

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Jeez, none of them had heard of spinnerets before!? I thought that was so easy. What’s a book with a spider? Charlotte’s Web. It was an instaget, I just had to double check I was giving the correct character they were looking for. 

“Little Barbershop of Horrors” made me laugh. Like a combo of Sweeney Todd and Little Shop.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 5

"Charlotte's Web" danced in my mind for a second.  The correct answer must have been there in my subconscious.

However, I discarded it.  I thought that a spinneret had to do with rollerskating and couldn't think of any book that fit.

God help me.  I will not be taking questions at this time.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 5