Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Athena

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

I was looking forward to Sanjay Gupta. He's one of the handful that I know and like (I listen to his podcast). I thought he did a good job.

I always enjoy a good themed set of categories. Only ran Sound Garden in the first round, and Chefs in the second. Missed one each in Islamic History and A before E. I only got two in Science, which I usually do better in, and missed two Novellas, which annoys me. 😕 Got all three DDs. Did not get FJ. 

Got the missed clues of deer, quest, Odyssey (DD), aerosol, ramen noodles, and Lost (a guess, and I assumed I was wrong...I've seen maybe ten minutes of one episode of that show). 

I was a little jealous of Spencer's hair.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 2

I said 1917 because I'm not good with years.  I had the right idea. Oh well.

I got the missed clues of Imagine Dragons, Odyssey, Ramen, paleozoic and aerosol.

I had an OK first round and a not too terrible second round, but I really needed to get final right.

I knew what they were going for for FJ today, but I had no idea what year that was. I made a wild guess of 1916.  So close and yet so far away!  At least I didn't guess 1500, I suppose.

I did at least get the TS of Imagine Dragons, odyssey, Stutz, deer, ramen, paleozoic, aerosol, and Lost.  The Lost TS kind of surprised me.

Dr. Gupta did fine.  I like his voice.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Got the missed clues of deer, quest, Odyssey (DD), aerosol, ramen noodles, and Lost (a guess, and I assumed I was wrong...I've seen maybe ten minutes of one episode of that show). 

I don’t normally post the ts’s I got, but Lost?  I know not everyone watched it, but not one out of three?  And I couldn’t believe Courtney couldn’t hear me yelling Odyssey. Multiple times!  Also ramen and aerosol. I feel smart!  (If we ignore all the stuff I didn’t know). 

• Like 10
  • Laugh 3

*Sigh* I figured out that FJ was the result of the assassination of the Archduke Ferdinand, but couldn't recall the exact year of the start of WWI and would probably have put 1912 instead of 1914.
I hate to think Austin also knew it was the the assassination of the Archduke Ferdinand but thought it started WWII instead of The Great War (aka WWI), but given the TS for Lost, he probably did. 
Were they too young to know Lost, or...?

I guess Courtney blanked during her DD? How many of us were yelling Odyssey at her?

Would I have gotten it wrong if I'd said "What is a push mower?" instead of "What is a lawn mower?"?

I might have gotten the TS "a Death Foretold" if they hadn't taken the clue off the screen as soon as it was read. My Spanish translating isn't too swift --I blame it on having only "studied" French.

Also surprised Ramen was a TS.

Dr. Sanjay Gupta did fine. I would have no complaints if he were the new host, but I seriously doubt he would accept. But I wouldn't mind being surprised if they offered it to him and he did accept.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 4

I will have to look up the charity Dr. Gupta selected, but it sounds like another good one for J! to donate to.

No one guessing quest surprised me a bit, as did aerosol, Paleozoic, and, especially, ramen going unanswered.  The Lost TS (which also stumped me) was also probably a bit surprising, not just that none of the four of us watched what was a big hit, but that none of us threw it out as a guess based on the relatively short list of shows set on islands popular enough to be asked about for $800.  I bet with a timeframe hint, someone would have come up with it.

I missed one each in cars (the Stutz TS) and rock bands (the Imagine Dragons TS), but otherwise ran the first round.

In DJ, I only ran A-E and chefs.  But I only missed seven among the other categories (islands was my worst; I missed three), so not bad.

I thought I was doomed in FJ based on the category, but once the clue was revealed I knew they were looking for the start of WWI.  So I still thought as I was doomed, as I hate war history, but I considered 1912 and then decided on 1914 as a guess I was somewhat comfortable with.  Lucky counts, so I'm off to a good start for the week.

• Like 1

My brain wouldn't let go of this Charles I.

image.png.a2438090a620ffb00ca4b0d84bc42f62.png

• Like 8

36 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I will have to look up the charity Dr. Gupta selected, but it sounds like another good one for J! to donate to.

Odyssey Atlanta (he lives in Atlanta).

From their About page:

Odyssey, a summer program with a proven track record, works with motivated public school students to help improve their school performance and instill a love for lifelong learning. Targeting Atlanta Public Schools students in rising grades 1 to 12 from underserved communities, Odyssey offers an educational six-week summer camp experience for nearly 400 students, focusing on STEAM — science, technology, art, engineering, and math — through a curriculum grounded in Project Based Learning. Odyssey encourages students to embark upon a quest for knowledge and a journey toward higher education.

• Like 2
  • Useful 5

50 minutes ago, Leeds said:

That’s exactly what I was thinking. I knew that Charles II was king during the Great Fire of 1666 so figured they had to be talking about his father Charles I and sometime during the early 1600s.

How can there be two Charles I’s? Wouldn’t this one be Charles III?

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Laugh 1

18 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

How can there be two Charles I’s? Wouldn’t this one be Charles III?

The Charles I in the picture above and the Charles II (his son) who reigned during the Great Fire of 1666 were kings of England (and Scotland and Ireland), but the Charles I in the Final Jeopardy clue was a 20th century Emperor of Austria (and several other titles). The numbering systems of the two monarchies (UK and Austria) are completely separate.

Congrats to Courtney for the upset, but I would have been happy with any of them winning. It was a pretty good group, despite some surprising TS's.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

As soon as I heard Archduke and Austria I knew the assassination that started WWI. It took me a bit to remember the year.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Lost (a guess, and I assumed I was wrong...I've seen maybe ten minutes of one episode of that show). 

Consider yourself lucky. 

3 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

And I couldn’t believe Courtney couldn’t hear me yelling Odyssey.

I wasn't the only one yelling Odyssey.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

32 minutes ago, Cherpumple said:

The Charles I in the picture above and the Charles II (his son) who reigned during the Great Fire of 1666 were kings of England (and Scotland and Ireland), but the Charles I in the Final Jeopardy clue was a 20th century Emperor of Austria (and several other titles). The numbering systems of the two monarchies (UK and Austria) are completely separate.

Don't forget though that James I of Scotland was also James VI of England!

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Cherpumple said:

Congrats to Courtney for the upset, but I would have been happy with any of them winning. It was a pretty good group, despite some surprising TS's.

Wow did I read that clue wrong! 🤣I totally thought it was a future English king who also became king of Austria. It has nothing to do with England at all! 🤦‍♀️ And then when the answer was given I thought it was referring to the current English Charles… who of course wasn’t even alive in 1914. 

Whoops 😅 

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

I said New London rather than New Haven for the Connecticut city.  Sometimes it's better to know only a little about some subject if you hope to successfully guess at an answer like this one.

I didn't feel very engaged tonight although the gameplay was quite good.  I'm in a funny mood, I guess.  I didn’t feel Gupta was remarkably good or bad. I've said this before too, but I'm ready to get off the guest host ride.  I want to get home and relax with someone familiar at the helm.

8 hours ago, illdoc said:

Coincidentally, according to the almanac in today's paper, it's the anniversary of Franz Josef's assassination (as well as Helen Keller's admittance to Radcliff). 

I read a morning roundup from a national newspaper which also mentioned the former fact.  I think I would have recognized what the clue was referring to but struggled to nail the year if not for that.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I'm ready to get off the guest host ride.  I want to get home and relax with someone familiar at the helm.

Me too. They'll never fill Alex's shoes, but pick someone.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, nokat said:

Consider yourself lucky. 

I was so confused by that ten minutes I saw I just went back to my room. (My parents were watching it,)

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nokat said:

Me too. They'll never fill Alex's shoes, but pick someone.

I'm kinda hoping they've already picked the new host and they're using the time to make sure they have plenty of practice so things will run smoothly and they'll tighten up the game come the new season.

11 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I was a little jealous of Spencer's hair.

I knew those too, apart from Lost, plus "Chronicle of a Death Foretold." I never got into Lost, and thought I had the last laugh on people who followed it faithfully for years only to be frustrated at the end.

And I too loved Spencer's hair. It would have been nice to have a few more days to look at it, but good for Courtney for pulling it off at the end. I didn't have high hopes for her when she missed that Odyssey DD.

I thought Dr. Gupta did fine also. There haven't been any guest hosts I haven't liked except for Oz, and even he doesn't fill me with "I'm never watching the show again if they pick him!" rage.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, illdoc said:

Coincidentally, according to the almanac in today's paper, it's the anniversary of Franz Josef's assassination (as well as Helen Keller's admittance to Radcliff). 

I don't think they are coincidences. I suspect that if we read up on anniversaries and such before we watch Jeopardy, we'll get a few more answers than usual.

12 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I don’t normally post the ts’s I got, but Lost?  I know not everyone watched it, but not one out of three?  And I couldn’t believe Courtney couldn’t hear me yelling Odyssey. Multiple times!  Also ramen and aerosol. I feel smart!  (If we ignore all the stuff I didn’t know). 

I was yelling it too. She didn't hear our combined encouragement.

10 hours ago, Leeds said:

Mine too.

8 hours ago, nokat said:

As soon as I heard Archduke and Austria I knew the assassination that started WWI. It took me a bit to remember the year.

If the clue had actually said Archduke, I might have gotten there. Unfortunately for me, it said:

The future Charles I suddenly became next in line to the throne of Austria in this year

So you can credit your brain instead of the clue. 😊

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 5

I enjoyed last nights game and overall did pretty well. I came up with quest,   Odyssey, Stutz, deer, ramen, and Lost. I knew the general time of what FJ was asking for, but said 1917. Boo on me for not getting that right. My mother was born in 1914. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

I never got into Lost, and thought I had the last laugh on people who followed it faithfully for years only to be frustrated at the end.

That would be me. I'm still bitter about it. :D

• Like 1
  • Laugh 6

2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I'm kinda hoping they've already picked the new host and they're using the time to make sure they have plenty of practice so things will run smoothly and they'll tighten up the game come the new season.

Or maybe they've at least narrowed it down -- eliminated most -- but also maybe waiting to see if any of the one-weekers knocks it out of the park. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Leeds said:

Don't forget though that James I of Scotland was also James VI of England!

Other way around.  He was James VI of Scotland, but became James I of England when he ascended to the English throne after the death of Elizabeth I.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

11 hours ago, Leeds said:

I actually thought first of Archduke Ferdinand's assassination, and whoever inherited after him but this Charles I took over my brain.

I did get the ts's or missed DDs of quest, Odyssey, Stutz (Bearcat), ramen, and aerosol so it wasn't too bad a game.  Just feel stupid for letting FJ slip out of my brain.

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

My mother was born in 1914. 

When I was a child I once asked my mother if she was born the same year the Titanic sank.  She was very offended - the Titanic sank in 1912 and she wasn't born until 1913!

• Like 3
  • Laugh 8

23 minutes ago, Trey said:

When I was a child I once asked my mother if she was born the same year the Titanic sank.  She was very offended - the Titanic sank in 1912 and she wasn't born until 1913

My mom wasn’t born until 1928, but was still equally defensive about her age. 😉

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

My mom wasn’t born until 1928, but was still equally defensive about her age. 😉

Small talk...

• Like 2

I thought it was 1793 - I figured Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette getting executed might have moved others up the line of succession in other countries.  Especially since she was Austrian.

• Like 4

I got stuck on Charles 1 of England but it clicked in time and in the AU where I appear on Jeopardy! I had ample time to scrawl 1914.

WRT Lost...Damon Lindelof can go burn in hell and take the entire craptastic 6th season with him. But...Ben. I can't stay mad at the whole series because there was Ben, that incredible moment in the very first episode where we see the plane wreck, late 3rd season through most of the 5th season, and so many story-telling innovations. I just won't ever watch the final season past episode 2 again.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

I thought it was 1793 - I figured Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette getting executed might have moved others up the line of succession in other countries.  Especially since she was Austrian.

Good answer! Wrong, but a good answer.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Trey said:

Good answer! Wrong, but a good answer.

You sound as if you listen to Says You!  If you haven't, you might enjoy it.

• Like 1

Could Sanjay's grey suit be any more BORING? Talk about trying to blend in with the background, except the background was more interesting than that suit. And his tie ... I kept staring at it as it was lopsided, the end kept trying to hide behind the right side of his boring grey jacket like it was embarrassed too. Then he was wearing BROWN shoes! With a grey suit! Don't have any black shoes Sanjay? Hope you are more appropriately dressed today Mr. Guest Host.

• Laugh 8

9 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Could Sanjay's grey suit be any more BORING? Talk about trying to blend in with the background, except the background was more interesting than that suit. And his tie ... I kept staring at it as it was lopsided, the end kept trying to hide behind the right side of his boring grey jacket like it was embarrassed too. Then he was wearing BROWN shoes! With a grey suit! Don't have any black shoes Sanjay? Hope you are more appropriately dressed today Mr. Guest Host.

A quick Google image search indicates that Sanjay either wears black or gray suits with white shirts, or:image.png.93522864718f844990cafd1b0a1d41a6.png

So I think it's a WYSIWYG.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

the end kept trying to hide behind the right side of his boring grey jacket like it was embarrassed too.

He was truly boring if you are talking about his suit. I'm laughing so hard at that bit though. Funnier than anything that'll come out of his mouth.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

10 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

There haven't been any guest hosts I haven't liked except for Oz, and even he doesn't fill me with "I'm never watching the show again if they pick him!" rage.

It might be a better use of his time than shilling questionable diet supplements...but those are probably more lucrative.

• Like 2

Prussian blue, and when I think of a war that happened in 1870-71 I think of the Franco-Prussian War.

• Like 1

I do much better at alcoholic categories than non-alcoholic ones, apparently. I ran Monuments & Memorials, and only missed one Constellation (which I don't usually do that well with; it was the $200 clue I missed, too), and I got the DD. Tanked Pop Culture and my only TS was Aesculapius (but it was a good thing I didn't have to spell that).

In round 2 I redeemed myself on the novellas from yesterday and ran Lit-Pourri easily, and got one DD, but otherwise...not so good. Only TS was A Little Princess.

No FJ for me tonight.

• Like 3

The FJ left me so confused tonite:  I was trying to think of shades of blue that related to nation-names, so how do France & Prussia fit with the question?  Maybe I am over-thinking this....

• Like 4

I got FJ, but I can't say that I was particulary confident in my answer.

I got the missed clues of hunting, eagle, hare/rhea, A Little Princess, and Boot Hill.

I got the entire categories of Non-alcohol and anagrams right.

I said neck and neck for the photo finish.  I didn't like that clue.

I said Fred Rogers, but I wonder if they would have accepted Mr.  Mr was his alternate first name:)

Just now, BuckeyeLou said:

The FJ left me so confused tonite:  I was trying to think of shades of blue that related to nation-names, so how do France & Prussia fit with the question?  Maybe I am over-thinking this....

I haven't the foggiest. I just answered due to the war years not having a better answer. I do feel like I've heard of Prussian blue, but not French blue.

Edited by Katy M

I called foul (was it just last week?) when they included "caddie" in the "double d in the middle" category... Did you notice today's Golf category? Every time they had that word in a clue, it was spelled caddy.  I'm still calling foul on that double d category.

Thinking about it, maybe it's like those little sweet cakes - in the 50s, there was a cookbook,  "Betty Crocker's Cooky Book."  You rarely see that spelling anymore.  It's as though we've forgotten how to make a plural (Drop the Y and add IES) and the singular is now spelled like the plural without the S.  Perhaps that's how they got to CADDIE. It's still wrong, no matter what excuse they use.  Personally, I refuse to spell "cookie" without adding the S.

I got FJ!

• Like 3

I got Prussia immediately from Prussian blue, then got stuck thinking of a blue shirt, but came up with France in the nick of time.  I should have concentrated more on the war than the colors!

TS I got include Mariah & Drew Carey, eagle, hare & rhea, Civil Disobedience, Boot Hill, and Albania.  

• Like 3

Ugh! I should have recorded and watched when I wasn’t exhausted. 
FJ was definitely in my wheelhouse, but I couldn’t think of the blue color names until I heard the correct countries, so, like Xiao, I guessed incorrectly France and England. 
Just 3 days ago I was painting with Prussian blue and French ultramarine blue

image.png.e295452cc8968bece7b9fbfa4056e294.png

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 12

I'm lousy at European history but quite good with colors. So ... French blue, Prussian blue, got it! 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Thinking about it, maybe it's like those little sweet cakes - in the 50s, there was a cookbook,  "Betty Crocker's Cooky Book."  You rarely see that spelling anymore.  It's as though we've forgotten how to make a plural (Drop the Y and add IES) and the singular is now spelled like the plural without the S.  Perhaps that's how they got to CADDIE. It's still wrong, no matter what excuse they use.  Personally, I refuse to spell "cookie" without adding the S.

So it's not just me!  I swear I remember learning the correct spelling for the singular was "cooky" but not too many years after that, Cookie Monster appeared on the scene and apparently wiped everyone's memory.  Now, I just try to avoid putting it in writing.

• Like 1

Too bad Dr. Gupta wasn't wearing a French blue shirt today? Or would that have been a clue?

• Like 2
  • Laugh 3

Prussian blue was easy, but I had never heard of French blue!

• Like 4

I’ve heard of both French and Prussian blue, but came up with only Prussia in time.

• Like 2