Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)
13 hours ago, illdoc said:

Coincidentally, according to the almanac in today's paper, it's the anniversary of Franz Josef's assassination (as well as Helen Keller's admittance to Radcliff). 

I don't think they are coincidences. I suspect that if we read up on anniversaries and such before we watch Jeopardy, we'll get a few more answers than usual.

12 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I don’t normally post the ts’s I got, but Lost?  I know not everyone watched it, but not one out of three?  And I couldn’t believe Courtney couldn’t hear me yelling Odyssey. Multiple times!  Also ramen and aerosol. I feel smart!  (If we ignore all the stuff I didn’t know). 

I was yelling it too. She didn't hear our combined encouragement.

10 hours ago, Leeds said:

My brain wouldn't let go of this Charles I.

image.png.a2438090a620ffb00ca4b0d84bc42f62.png

Mine too.

8 hours ago, nokat said:

As soon as I heard Archduke and Austria I knew the assassination that started WWI. It took me a bit to remember the year.

If the clue had actually said Archduke, I might have gotten there. Unfortunately for me, it said:

The future Charles I suddenly became next in line to the throne of Austria in this year

So you can credit your brain instead of the clue. 😊

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 5

I enjoyed last nights game and overall did pretty well. I came up with quest,   Odyssey, Stutz, deer, ramen, and Lost. I knew the general time of what FJ was asking for, but said 1917. Boo on me for not getting that right. My mother was born in 1914. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

I never got into Lost, and thought I had the last laugh on people who followed it faithfully for years only to be frustrated at the end.

That would be me. I'm still bitter about it. :D

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I'm kinda hoping they've already picked the new host and they're using the time to make sure they have plenty of practice so things will run smoothly and they'll tighten up the game come the new season.

Or maybe they've at least narrowed it down -- eliminated most -- but also maybe waiting to see if any of the one-weekers knocks it out of the park. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Leeds said:

Don't forget though that James I of Scotland was also James VI of England!

Other way around.  He was James VI of Scotland, but became James I of England when he ascended to the English throne after the death of Elizabeth I.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, Leeds said:

My brain wouldn't let go of this Charles I.

image.png.a2438090a620ffb00ca4b0d84bc42f62.png

I actually thought first of Archduke Ferdinand's assassination, and whoever inherited after him but this Charles I took over my brain.

I did get the ts's or missed DDs of quest, Odyssey, Stutz (Bearcat), ramen, and aerosol so it wasn't too bad a game.  Just feel stupid for letting FJ slip out of my brain.

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

My mother was born in 1914. 

When I was a child I once asked my mother if she was born the same year the Titanic sank.  She was very offended - the Titanic sank in 1912 and she wasn't born until 1913!

• LOL 8
  • Love 3
23 minutes ago, Trey said:

When I was a child I once asked my mother if she was born the same year the Titanic sank.  She was very offended - the Titanic sank in 1912 and she wasn't born until 1913

My mom wasn’t born until 1928, but was still equally defensive about her age. 😉

• Love 4

I thought it was 1793 - I figured Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette getting executed might have moved others up the line of succession in other countries.  Especially since she was Austrian.

• Love 4

I got stuck on Charles 1 of England but it clicked in time and in the AU where I appear on Jeopardy! I had ample time to scrawl 1914.

WRT Lost...Damon Lindelof can go burn in hell and take the entire craptastic 6th season with him. But...Ben. I can't stay mad at the whole series because there was Ben, that incredible moment in the very first episode where we see the plane wreck, late 3rd season through most of the 5th season, and so many story-telling innovations. I just won't ever watch the final season past episode 2 again.

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

I thought it was 1793 - I figured Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette getting executed might have moved others up the line of succession in other countries.  Especially since she was Austrian.

Good answer! Wrong, but a good answer.

• Love 3

Could Sanjay's grey suit be any more BORING? Talk about trying to blend in with the background, except the background was more interesting than that suit. And his tie ... I kept staring at it as it was lopsided, the end kept trying to hide behind the right side of his boring grey jacket like it was embarrassed too. Then he was wearing BROWN shoes! With a grey suit! Don't have any black shoes Sanjay? Hope you are more appropriately dressed today Mr. Guest Host.

• LOL 8
9 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Could Sanjay's grey suit be any more BORING? Talk about trying to blend in with the background, except the background was more interesting than that suit. And his tie ... I kept staring at it as it was lopsided, the end kept trying to hide behind the right side of his boring grey jacket like it was embarrassed too. Then he was wearing BROWN shoes! With a grey suit! Don't have any black shoes Sanjay? Hope you are more appropriately dressed today Mr. Guest Host.

A quick Google image search indicates that Sanjay either wears black or gray suits with white shirts, or:image.png.93522864718f844990cafd1b0a1d41a6.png

So I think it's a WYSIWYG.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

the end kept trying to hide behind the right side of his boring grey jacket like it was embarrassed too.

He was truly boring if you are talking about his suit. I'm laughing so hard at that bit though. Funnier than anything that'll come out of his mouth.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

There haven't been any guest hosts I haven't liked except for Oz, and even he doesn't fill me with "I'm never watching the show again if they pick him!" rage.

It might be a better use of his time than shilling questionable diet supplements...but those are probably more lucrative.

• Love 2

I do much better at alcoholic categories than non-alcoholic ones, apparently. I ran Monuments & Memorials, and only missed one Constellation (which I don't usually do that well with; it was the $200 clue I missed, too), and I got the DD. Tanked Pop Culture and my only TS was Aesculapius (but it was a good thing I didn't have to spell that).

In round 2 I redeemed myself on the novellas from yesterday and ran Lit-Pourri easily, and got one DD, but otherwise...not so good. Only TS was A Little Princess.

No FJ for me tonight.

• Love 3

The FJ left me so confused tonite:  I was trying to think of shades of blue that related to nation-names, so how do France & Prussia fit with the question?  Maybe I am over-thinking this....

• Love 4
(edited)

I got FJ, but I can't say that I was particulary confident in my answer.

I got the missed clues of hunting, eagle, hare/rhea, A Little Princess, and Boot Hill.

I got the entire categories of Non-alcohol and anagrams right.

I said neck and neck for the photo finish.  I didn't like that clue.

I said Fred Rogers, but I wonder if they would have accepted Mr.  Mr was his alternate first name:)

Just now, BuckeyeLou said:

The FJ left me so confused tonite:  I was trying to think of shades of blue that related to nation-names, so how do France & Prussia fit with the question?  Maybe I am over-thinking this....

I haven't the foggiest. I just answered due to the war years not having a better answer. I do feel like I've heard of Prussian blue, but not French blue.

Edited by Katy M

I called foul (was it just last week?) when they included "caddie" in the "double d in the middle" category... Did you notice today's Golf category? Every time they had that word in a clue, it was spelled caddy.  I'm still calling foul on that double d category.

Thinking about it, maybe it's like those little sweet cakes - in the 50s, there was a cookbook,  "Betty Crocker's Cooky Book."  You rarely see that spelling anymore.  It's as though we've forgotten how to make a plural (Drop the Y and add IES) and the singular is now spelled like the plural without the S.  Perhaps that's how they got to CADDIE. It's still wrong, no matter what excuse they use.  Personally, I refuse to spell "cookie" without adding the S.

I got FJ!

• Love 3

I got Prussia immediately from Prussian blue, then got stuck thinking of a blue shirt, but came up with France in the nick of time.  I should have concentrated more on the war than the colors!

TS I got include Mariah & Drew Carey, eagle, hare & rhea, Civil Disobedience, Boot Hill, and Albania.  

• Love 3
(edited)

Ugh! I should have recorded and watched when I wasn’t exhausted. 
FJ was definitely in my wheelhouse, but I couldn’t think of the blue color names until I heard the correct countries, so, like Xiao, I guessed incorrectly France and England. 
Just 3 days ago I was painting with Prussian blue and French ultramarine blue

image.png.e295452cc8968bece7b9fbfa4056e294.png

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 12
43 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Thinking about it, maybe it's like those little sweet cakes - in the 50s, there was a cookbook,  "Betty Crocker's Cooky Book."  You rarely see that spelling anymore.  It's as though we've forgotten how to make a plural (Drop the Y and add IES) and the singular is now spelled like the plural without the S.  Perhaps that's how they got to CADDIE. It's still wrong, no matter what excuse they use.  Personally, I refuse to spell "cookie" without adding the S.

So it's not just me!  I swear I remember learning the correct spelling for the singular was "cooky" but not too many years after that, Cookie Monster appeared on the scene and apparently wiped everyone's memory.  Now, I just try to avoid putting it in writing.

• Love 1

I loved Courtney delivering her "boo-yah" answer with the proper oomph.

Knowing who wrote A Christmas Carol does not belong in DJ!

I usually do quite well in the first round, but not tonight.  I was terrible in constellations and pop culture, missing four in each.  I also missed two in non-alcoholic, but ran the other three categories.

So it was one of the rare games in which I did better in DJ.  I only ran geography and boo, and missed all but one in past lives.  But I only missed one each in the other three, so not bad.

When it came to FJ, though, I had absolutely no idea.

• Love 6

My Marvel loving nerd of a husband literally pushed up his glasses and “well actually” the Rogers question.  As I’ve been informed Steve Rogers is not the alter ego of Captain America.  Only one super hero has an alter ego and that’s Superman.  (It’s been a long work from home and I still love him)

• LOL 4
  • Love 7
(edited)

I was not impressed with Gupta today.  I find him duller than dishwater.  He pronounced the name of the charming city of San Rafael incorrectly (Johnny Gilbert was correct: it is ruh-FELL, not raw-feye-ELL).  I also think he should not have said "not quite" in response to Xiao's response with 2 of the 3 names required in the Relatives category.  He should just have said "sorry, no" rather than, it seemed, strongly hinting to the remaining players that she had the Brothers correct but had just left off the third name.

I did like Xiao very much.  It is a real challenge to play a game show in a second language, and there was an awful lot of wordplay today too.  I applied to about 40 schools, also because I needed to accept which offer gave me the best scholarship package, and I thought that was an awful lot, but that was with the Common App and from within the country.  Bully for her.  I hope she is proud of her performance.

I wish we'd gotten the last few Aviation clues.  That's my wheelhouse, unlike constellations: I missed every single one of those, so time to bone up.  I said "Ethan Allen's Boys" instead of "Green Mountain Boys," and I bet I could find references in my favor if I'd needed to, but it would be better just to remember the more common name.

I wonder whether Courtney's story lost something in the editing suite.  Gupta declared it "unbelievable," but I was underwhelmed.  It seemed that the tale was that, on a single occasion, her parents had a wager between them on her ability to answer FJ.  Ummmm, OK?  What were the stakes?  I need a little more for "unbelievable."  Otherwise, it comes across like "hey, honey, I'll bet you a nickel she can answer a question on European Monarchs," and who cares?  I thought that was especially boring, even as "when I was a precocious child" stories go.  Maybe I need a Snickers or something. ;)

The Holocaust memorial in Budapest, which I have not seen before, was absolutely beautiful.  It really took my breath away.

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Just 3 days ago I was painting with Prussian blue and French ultramarine blue

image.png.e295452cc8968bece7b9fbfa4056e294.png

That's beautiful!  I take it your profile photo is also your own work?  Thanks for sharing.  Unfortunately, I knew Prussian blue immediately but found myself neither having heard of its French counterpart nor able to remember the Franco-Prussian War in time.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Not an easy one. I'm familiar with Prussian blue.

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I did like Xiao very much.  It is a real challenge to play a game show in a second language, and there was an awful lot of wordplay today too.  I applied to about 40 schools, also because I needed to accept which offer gave me the best scholarship package, and I thought that was an awful lot, but that was with the Common App and from within the country.  Bully for her.  I hope she is proud of her performance.

I got a little frustrated with her at first but then I thought, "shut up, she's doing better than you and you only speak one language, and you're sitting on your couch with no one around to judge your wrong answers."

• LOL 3
  • Love 12
6 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I got a little frustrated with her at first but then I thought, "shut up, she's doing better than you and you only speak one language, and you're sitting on your couch with no one around to judge your wrong answers."

I felt like I could see Xiao trying to find the words in English for some of the answers, that can’t have been easy between the pressure of the game and the language challenge.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
23 hours ago, nokat said:

That would be me. I'm still bitter about it. :D

I was one of the few who was okay with it. Don't get me wrong, the last season was pretty bad, but the end of it was pretty much what I thought it would be from the get-go (in the same ballpark at least). I never read what showrunners say about the shows, so I rarely feel betrayed.

10 hours ago, LBS said:

My Marvel loving nerd of a husband literally pushed up his glasses and “well actually” the Rogers question.  As I’ve been informed Steve Rogers is not the alter ego of Captain America.  Only one super hero has an alter ego and that’s Superman.  (It’s been a long work from home and I still love him)

"Alter ego" threw me for a bit, since I'm as much as a nerd as your husband. But I got there.

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I like levar Burton.  Big star trek TNG fan. 

BUt he is annoying me now about jeopardy.  And I hope he doesn't get the job.  Yes he should have been included as a guest host from the start, but they added him.  Now he is asking like he is entitled to the job and it should be just obvious he gets it.

https://people.com/tv/levar-burton-says-it-will-hurt-if-he-doesnt-get-jeopardy-hosting-gig/

I know, right? I love Levar, but this active campaigning feels a little unseemly to me.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Caoimhe said:

felt like I could see Xiao trying to find the words in English for some of the answers, that can’t have been easy between the pressure of the game and the language challenge.  

She's been here 30+ years (she mentioned she was applying to colleges before computers)! It shouldn't be too much of a challenge.

13 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

It confused me too, which isn't really all that hard.  I should have thought more about the war than the colours.

I did have a fairly decent game overall. I got the ts's or missed DDs of eagle, hare/rhea, Boot Hill, Fifth column, and Albania.

I liked all the contestants and I do like Dr. Gupta.

• Love 3
(edited)
10 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

BUt he is annoying me now about jeopardy.  And I hope he doesn't get the job.  Yes he should have been included as a guest host from the start, but they added him.  Now he is asking like he is entitled to the job and it should be just obvious he gets it.

https://people.com/tv/levar-burton-says-it-will-hurt-if-he-doesnt-get-jeopardy-hosting-gig/

Ugh.  I was indifferent to him until I read this article.  What an arrogant, egotisitical dick.  Why is he owed the job?   "I feel like this is what I'm supposed to do," he continued. "I have been watching Jeopardy! more or less every night of my life."  Guess what, I've been listening to NPR every day of my life, does that mean I get to be the next host of Morning Edition?

At this point I'd rather take George Stephanopopopoopee over him.

Edited by Leeds
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Leeds said:

Ugh.  I was indifferent to him until I read this article.  What an arrogant, egotisitical dick.  Why is he owed the job?   "I feel like this is what I'm supposed to do," he continued. "I have been watching Jeopardy! more or less every night of my life."  Guess what, I've been listening to NPR every day of my life, does that mean I get to be the next host of Morning Edition?

At this point I'd rather take George Stephanopopoopee over him.

Yeah, I mean I've been watching Jeopardy since Junior high and I've told my family and some friends that I should be the next host of Jeopardy.  But, I'm pretty much kidding around and there are a lot of people who want the job.  I'm not saying LB couldn't be high up in the running, but it's going to be a competitive gig (I would think), and nobody else that I know of is acting quite so entitled about it.  

• Love 7
(edited)
6 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I understand why he pushed so hard for one of the guest gigs to begin with.  If he hadn't been so assertive, I doubt he would have gotten the call, even though he'd been on folks' wish lists for years.  But now I agree he needs to ease off.

Maybe that's just not his way.  I know he had a conflict with the PBS station from which he had been licensing Reading Rainbow stuff after the show ended a few years ago, and maybe those events hardened his approach.  I don't know.

I wonder whether he realizes he's put himself in the position of having to be, basically, God's gift to Jeopardy now.  Many folks will be watching thinking "well, this better be amazing after all that" rather than "LeVar?  Cool!"

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 7

From Merriam-Webster:

Definition of alter ego

1: a second self or different version of oneself: such as

a: a trusted friend

b: the opposite side of a personality Clark Kent and his alter ego Superman

Although I would contend that Steve Rogers is the alter ego of Captain America as Steve was a 98 pound weakling until he took the drug that turned him into Captain America. 

• Love 1

Thanks Sanjay for (not) brightening up your wardrobe Tuesday by wearing that super-dull TAUPE suit. And matching shoes. I know things come back in style, but I didn't know Beatle Boots had. Sanjay did push the boredom boundary with his pale, washed-out, barely maroon tie. But that would hardly save him from disappearing into the floor if he fell over in that grey/brown suit. At least "taupe" sort of went with the FJ color clue: "What is the most boring country named for a dull grey/brown color." Hoping he has a not-white shirt that he's bold enough to wear in the next eight days.

• LOL 6