Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

At least it was only worth $200, but the DNA clue belonged in the Toddler Tournament.

Arman's Heckle and Jeckle answer was an odd mistake.

I can't believe no one guessed Columbia when asked about a journalism school.  The Pueblo TS surprised me a bit, as did Saturn V (because of the "planetary" hint), and the fact no one even had a guess for the sighted clue (I thought someone was going to say seeing, forgetting the category).

I joined the contestants in being stumped by oak leaf cluster (the military is not an interest of mine, so I miss a lot of those clues), and I missed two in characters, but got everything else in the first round.

As per usual, I did not do as well in DJ, but not bad; I ran songs, factories, and journalists, but I missed all but one in world lit, and one each in words and France.

And I got FJ, so it was a good way to finish out the week.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I I have a nearly uncanny sense of balance, but I cannot even do a cartwheel. Nevertheless, I got right pretty much all of the answers aerialist Nickee did too. I wonder if she's an ambidextrous lefty like me too. Sadly, her Chicagoan FJ response of Miracle Mile crossed my mind too and kept crowding out NYC streets. All I could do was silently run through "...they say the neon lights are bright on Broadway -- on Broadway..." So near and yet so far.

Learn something new each day here. I didn't know there was a Chicago Miracle Mile.
When I saw Nickee's response, I immediately thought of Manhasset, Long Island, NY's Miracle Mile, cited in native Long Islander Billy Joel's "It's Still Rock and Roll to Me."
What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
"Can't you tell that it's out of style?"
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
"Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile? 

FJ itself was an instaget for me. Diagonal=Broadway=Great White Way.

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

Learn something new each day here. I didn't know there was a Chicago Miracle Mile.

Oops. Again. Sorry. It's Chicago's "Magnificent Mile."
I moved to Rochester in January and no longer listen to Chicago news or programming.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

I had Broadway but obviously it’s not three words and Great White Way eluded me.  Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme plus Saturn V probably just show how old I am, got oak leaf and Ivan too. 

Nikkee’s eyelashes were distracting to me but I liked her jacket.  I will really miss checking out Savannah’s wardrobe next week!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I forgot the Bangles did a cover of "Hazy Shade of Winter" -- I am old enough to remember the original Simon & Garfunkel version.

heh...the S&G version is a little before my time but I remember the Bangles well.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/25/2021 at 4:58 PM, Katy M said:

i got FJ, but I said Great White Way not The Great White Way because then it would make it 4 words.

On 6/25/2021 at 5:12 PM, DedicatedFan said:

I didn't get it.  I also thought that The Great White Way contains four words, not three. 

I wouldn't have gotten it in any case, but even if I thought of it, I would have counted "The" as a word and not used it.

On 6/25/2021 at 5:25 PM, secnarf said:

I was 100% certain I was wrong, and would never have written this down had I been on the show, but the only thing I could think of for FJ that was 3 words and had to do with lights was Red Light District 😂

You and me @secnarf. 😄

On 6/25/2021 at 7:27 PM, Bastet said:

At least it was only worth $200, but the DNA clue belonged in the Toddler Tournament.

I joined the contestants in being stumped by oak leaf cluster (the military is not an interest of mine, so I miss a lot of those clues), and I missed two in characters, but got everything else in the first round.

I don't know about Toddler Tournament, but I overthought it and thought they were going for something specific, like mitochondrial DNA.

On 6/26/2021 at 4:47 AM, Browncoat said:

I forgot the Bangles did a cover of "Hazy Shade of Winter" -- I am old enough to remember the original Simon & Garfunkel version.

Yup, we oldies on our couch got it because of S&G, not the Bangles. Though we did remember the Bangles version.

Added: My husband just said the Bangles did a bang up version of it - I don't disagree , but he's not that objective...he had a little thing for Susanna Hoffs. 😉

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 5
(edited)
14 hours ago, ProudMary said:

When I saw Nickee's response, I immediately thought of Manhasset, Long Island, NY's Miracle Mile, cited in native Long Islander Billy Joel's "It's Still Rock and Roll to Me."
What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
"Can't you tell that it's out of style?"
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
"Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile? 

FJ itself was an instaget for me. Diagonal=Broadway=Great White Way.

I'm a fan who loves the show, but I don't get many answers right. However, I got FJ.  Great White Way came to me instantly, and I couldn't believe none of them knew the answer. Broadway? Savannah said it was three words.

Edited by DonnaMae
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 6/25/2021 at 11:07 AM, Grundoon59 said:

But now I have the lyrics of "To Keep My Love Alive" (a wonderfully wicked song) playing through my mind.

That was the last song that Rodgers and Hart wrote together.  Hart died very soon thereafter.

Edited by MrAtoz
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
(edited)

I also loved Nikkee's jacket.  I don't know where I'd wear it, but I'd like to have a jacket like that in a men's cut.

FJ came to me very easily.  But if you want a laugh, I decided "Harvester Works" was McCormick.  Yes, their company is back after all these years!  I'd better spend a bit more time in the farmers' booths at the fair next summer.

I was delighted by the mention of Charlayne Hunter-Gault, the PBS NewsHour correspondent.  Her pieces are always thought-provoking.  In general, I wish the NewsHour were more widely recognized.  I think the show is consistently levelheaded, balanced, and interesting.  I don't watch any other TV news.

I've said it before but I'll say it again: I'm tired of second guesses being accepted.  "Napa Valley" should simply have been wrong.  The city is Napa.  "Glacier" should simply have been wrong.  The clue asked for the adjective, glacial.  Grumble.  Maybe this is in part a function of the guest hosts being less proactive, waiting to be told how to react in their earpiece?  I want them to tighten it up, whatever the reason.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 5
29 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I've said it before but I'll say it again: I'm tired of second guesses being accepted.  "Napa Valley" should simply have been wrong.  The city is Napa.  "Glacier" should simply have been wrong.  The clue asked for the adjective, glacial.  Grumble.  Maybe this is in part a function of the guest hosts being less proactive, waiting to be told how to react in their earpiece?  I want them to tighten it up, whatever the reason.

Me, too. I'm cutting the guests a little slack but I'm hoping they'll tighten things up when they get a permanent host in place .

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Both are "before my time" but I am very familiar with the S&G version, and had no idea the Bangles covered it, so I was confused by the clue!

• Love 4
3 hours ago, 853fisher said:

"Glacier" should simply have been wrong.  The clue asked for the adjective, glacial.

He said "glacier", Savannah waited forever to say no. The rule (?) is, if you haven't been ruled incorrect (and he hadn't, since she hadn't said "no"), you can change your response, which he did to "glacial". I'm not in favor of it, but that's why he got credit.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, illdoc said:

He said "glacier", Savannah waited forever to say no. The rule (?) is, if you haven't been ruled incorrect (and he hadn't, since she hadn't said "no"), you can change your response, which he did to "glacial". I'm not in favor of it, but that's why he got credit.

Yes, you're absolutely correct.  I still just don't like it any more than you do.  "Young man shakes fist at cloud," to paraphrase the meme. ;)

2 hours ago, 853fisher said:

But if you want a laugh, I decided "Harvester Works" was McCormick.  Yes, their company is back after all these years!

Doesn't get a laugh from me, it was a good guess, and I was born and grew up in and now live nearby the headquarters of Deere & Co., and I work for a major tractor organization. The clue threw me off a bit because of the "Harvester" thing since International Harvester was manufactured in the Quad Cities for many years. In fact, the QC was the tractor-manufacturing headquarters of the world. Only Deere is left. Lots of huge, empty manufacturing facilities line the Mississippi River now.

As an aside, McCormick was made in England and now in Italy. And while Caterpillar is based in Bloomington, Ill., about two hours south, it did make tractors here, albeit on the Iowa side of the river. (Closed now.) Caterpillar was an incorrect guess a while back to another J clue. Deere does have several facilities in Iowa so that was a help choosing the company that fit the clue.

Interesting side note: There are Lamborghini, Bugatti, Fiat and Ferrari tractors, and they show up on occasion for sale. Meanwhile, the tractor companies continue to merge and buy and sell each other so probably, by the time I hit SUBMIT RELY, the above will have changed once again.

3 hours ago, 853fisher said:

"Napa Valley" should simply have been wrong.  The city is Napa.

It probably was accepted as correct just as Jackson, Wyoming is always called Jackson Hole. It's Jackson, no "Hole" anywhere in its name. Yet there you go ... to Jackson HOLE on vacation.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Isn’t there a specific time limit/number of seconds for the players to correct themselves?

(edited)
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

It probably was accepted as correct just as Jackson, Wyoming is always called Jackson Hole. It's Jackson, no "Hole" anywhere in its name. Yet there you go ... to Jackson HOLE on vacation.

I don't know Wyoming from...well, I was just going to say a hole in the ground, but we've just established there's no hole.  I guess if the proper name of the city is Jackson and there was a question about it, I'd say "Jackson Hole" shouldn't be accepted either.

in this case, I think it was accepted after he corrected himself to simply Napa.  It's true that many people use "going to Napa Valley" and "going to Napa" interchangeably, and it's true that those who say they will do either one might end up in the city of Napa.  However, they might also be in St. Helena, Calistoga, Yountville, or American Canyon.  Colloquial use aside, I wouldn't think the case would be strong enough to accept "Napa Valley," given that the clue asked specifically for the city named after the river.

Overall, what annoyed me was not the pedantics of these names (although I find all this discussion fascinating as ever) but the excessive, in my opinion, lengths of time contestants are being given to correct themselves and ultimately furnish distinct second answers.  Funnily enough, all this typing has made me thirsty for a glass of wine!

Edited by 853fisher
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

You and me @secnarf. 😄

May I join your club? That was my first thought also... and I'm not even ashamed that's where my mind went. One of the benefits of aging. I don't give a fuddle duddle f***. (frog) *wink*

• Love 3
8 hours ago, DonnaMae said:

I'm a fan who loves the show, but I don't get many answers right. However, I got FJ.  Great White Way came to me instantly, and I couldn't believe none of them knew the answer. Broadway? Savannah said it was three words.

The clue read: "Bright new lighting installed in 1880 on a street that crosses Manhattan diagonally led to this three word nickname." 
The street that crosses Manhattan diagonally is Broadway. Downtown, it's on the east side of the city and as it works its way uptown, it ends up on the west side of the city. Once I knew that the street in question was Broadway, its nickname "Great White Way" was an instaget. I was just outlining my thought process in my earlier post.

• Love 3

in this case, I think it was accepted after he corrected himself to simply Napa.  It's true that many people use "going to Napa Valley" and "going to Napa" interchangeably, and it's true that those who say they will do either one might end up in the city of Napa.  However, they might also be in St. Helena, Calistoga, Yountville, or American Canyon.  Colloquial use aside, I wouldn't think the case would be strong enough to accept "Napa Valley," given that the clue asked specifically for the city named after the river.

However, the slogan in Sonoma is "Napa makes auto parts; Sonoma makes wine."

• LOL 7
3 hours ago, Bliss said:

May I join your club? That was my first thought also... and I'm not even ashamed that's where my mind went. One of the benefits of aging. I don't give a fuddle duddle f***. (frog) *wink*

You bet! That is certainly one of the benefits I'm enjoying.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Cotypubby said:

I was so shocked none of them got FJ! I thought that was some incredibly obvious Kids Jeopardy-level stuff. 

Once again, IEIYKI. Let us know when all three players get FJ and you don't.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Once again, IEIYKI. Let us know when all three players get FJ and you don't.

What does that mean? I think Final Jeopardy is like the last puzzle on Wheel of Fortune you know it or you don't

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, kathyk24 said:

What does that mean? I think Final Jeopardy is like the last puzzle on Wheel of Fortune you know it or you don't

LOL. Close! IEIYKI is short for It's Easy If You Know It. Which is always true of this show (and Wheel, too!).

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 6/25/2021 at 11:56 PM, shapeshifter said:

I moved to Rochester in January and no longer listen to Chicago news or programming.

reminds me of a story about a guy who was traded from the Detroit Tigers to one of the teams in Texas a few decades ago. The guy asked one of his old Detroit teammates to send him a TV. The teammate asked why...don't they have TVs in Texas? and the response was "Sure, but they don't get any of the Detroit stations!

• LOL 11
20 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

At the risk of making us go around in circles, I wouldn't describe many Final questions as "you know it or you don't."  They often seem to be written with a hint or hints from which an educated, rather than wild, guess might follow.  I've thought that was by design.

Maybe we just mean different things by "you know it or you don't."  To me, that's a question like "where was McKinley speaking when he was shot" or "name Marilyn Monroe's housekeeper when she died."  There's not a lot of clue there.

But in Final, a few clues tend to be seeded.  Rather than ask the YKIOYD question "who was on the one ruble coin in 1983," for instance, we were given the clue that she had a "famous first" in 1963.  Put that together wish a Russian woman and you can get there.

I'm not trying to be a pain in the behind just for the sake of it.  Just thinking out loud.  :)

• Love 6
(edited)
49 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

At the risk of making us go around in circles, I wouldn't describe many Final questions as "you know it or you don't."  They often seem to be written with a hint or hints from which an educated, rather than wild, guess might follow.  I've thought that was by design.

Maybe we just mean different things by "you know it or you don't."  To me, that's a question like "where was McKinley speaking when he was shot" or "name Marilyn Monroe's housekeeper when she died."  There's not a lot of clue there.

But in Final, a few clues tend to be seeded.  Rather than ask the YKIOYD question "who was on the one ruble coin in 1983," for instance, we were given the clue that she had a "famous first" in 1963.  Put that together wish a Russian woman and you can get there.

I'm not trying to be a pain in the behind just for the sake of it.  Just thinking out loud.  :)

My thought processes are often like this^ too.
Right now I'm just glad someone else asked and was answered WTH does YKIOYD mean, LOL.

But regarding whether or not FJ is "YKIOYD," I'm thinking you have to know something, but maybe not "it."

For example, yesterday on the rerun from October 15, 2019,
the FJ category was 

• CHEMICAL SYMBOL WORDPLAY

and the clue was

• "Fittingly, the symbols for the 4 elements in sodium citrate, which can make cheese melt easier, spell this 5-letter food."

I do know that salt is sodium chloride or NaCl, which is arguably "common knowledge," but I do not know sodium citrate. Nevertheless, I thought of a 5 letter melted cheese food beginning with Na and correctly came up with Nacho. So, yes, I had to know something, and it wasn't like many of the FJ clues that are totally outside my scope of knowledge.

ETA: And now I see that it wasn't even necessary to know about salt, as @peeayebee posted at that time:

I also got FJ. I didn't even try to work with the chemical symbols. I just thought about a five-letter word that had to do with melty cheese, and VOILA! Nacho!

--so I guess it is either YKIOYD since the question needs to ask what is this 5-letter food.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

Coincidentally, according to the almanac in today's paper, it's the anniversary of Franz Josef's assassination (as well as Helen Keller's admittance to Radcliff). 

• Useful 4
(edited)

I was looking forward to Sanjay Gupta. He's one of the handful that I know and like (I listen to his podcast). I thought he did a good job.

I always enjoy a good themed set of categories. Only ran Sound Garden in the first round, and Chefs in the second. Missed one each in Islamic History and A before E. I only got two in Science, which I usually do better in, and missed two Novellas, which annoys me. 😕 Got all three DDs. Did not get FJ. 

Got the missed clues of deer, quest, Odyssey (DD), aerosol, ramen noodles, and Lost (a guess, and I assumed I was wrong...I've seen maybe ten minutes of one episode of that show). 

I was a little jealous of Spencer's hair.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 2

I said 1917 because I'm not good with years.  I had the right idea. Oh well.

I got the missed clues of Imagine Dragons, Odyssey, Ramen, paleozoic and aerosol.

I had an OK first round and a not too terrible second round, but I really needed to get final right.

I knew what they were going for for FJ today, but I had no idea what year that was. I made a wild guess of 1916.  So close and yet so far away!  At least I didn't guess 1500, I suppose.

I did at least get the TS of Imagine Dragons, odyssey, Stutz, deer, ramen, paleozoic, aerosol, and Lost.  The Lost TS kind of surprised me.

Dr. Gupta did fine.  I like his voice.

• Love 5
38 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Got the missed clues of deer, quest, Odyssey (DD), aerosol, ramen noodles, and Lost (a guess, and I assumed I was wrong...I've seen maybe ten minutes of one episode of that show). 

I don’t normally post the ts’s I got, but Lost?  I know not everyone watched it, but not one out of three?  And I couldn’t believe Courtney couldn’t hear me yelling Odyssey. Multiple times!  Also ramen and aerosol. I feel smart!  (If we ignore all the stuff I didn’t know). 

• LOL 3
  • Love 10
(edited)

*Sigh* I figured out that FJ was the result of the assassination of the Archduke Ferdinand, but couldn't recall the exact year of the start of WWI and would probably have put 1912 instead of 1914.
I hate to think Austin also knew it was the the assassination of the Archduke Ferdinand but thought it started WWII instead of The Great War (aka WWI), but given the TS for Lost, he probably did. 
Were they too young to know Lost, or...?

I guess Courtney blanked during her DD? How many of us were yelling Odyssey at her?

Would I have gotten it wrong if I'd said "What is a push mower?" instead of "What is a lawn mower?"?

I might have gotten the TS "a Death Foretold" if they hadn't taken the clue off the screen as soon as it was read. My Spanish translating isn't too swift --I blame it on having only "studied" French.

Also surprised Ramen was a TS.

Dr. Sanjay Gupta did fine. I would have no complaints if he were the new host, but I seriously doubt he would accept. But I wouldn't mind being surprised if they offered it to him and he did accept.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4

I will have to look up the charity Dr. Gupta selected, but it sounds like another good one for J! to donate to.

No one guessing quest surprised me a bit, as did aerosol, Paleozoic, and, especially, ramen going unanswered.  The Lost TS (which also stumped me) was also probably a bit surprising, not just that none of the four of us watched what was a big hit, but that none of us threw it out as a guess based on the relatively short list of shows set on islands popular enough to be asked about for $800.  I bet with a timeframe hint, someone would have come up with it.

I missed one each in cars (the Stutz TS) and rock bands (the Imagine Dragons TS), but otherwise ran the first round.

In DJ, I only ran A-E and chefs.  But I only missed seven among the other categories (islands was my worst; I missed three), so not bad.

I thought I was doomed in FJ based on the category, but once the clue was revealed I knew they were looking for the start of WWI.  So I still thought as I was doomed, as I hate war history, but I considered 1912 and then decided on 1914 as a guess I was somewhat comfortable with.  Lucky counts, so I'm off to a good start for the week.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I will have to look up the charity Dr. Gupta selected, but it sounds like another good one for J! to donate to.

Odyssey Atlanta (he lives in Atlanta).

From their About page:

Odyssey, a summer program with a proven track record, works with motivated public school students to help improve their school performance and instill a love for lifelong learning. Targeting Atlanta Public Schools students in rising grades 1 to 12 from underserved communities, Odyssey offers an educational six-week summer camp experience for nearly 400 students, focusing on STEAM — science, technology, art, engineering, and math — through a curriculum grounded in Project Based Learning. Odyssey encourages students to embark upon a quest for knowledge and a journey toward higher education.

• Useful 5
  • Love 2
(edited)
50 minutes ago, Leeds said:

My brain wouldn't let go of this Charles I.

image.png.a2438090a620ffb00ca4b0d84bc42f62.png

That’s exactly what I was thinking. I knew that Charles II was king during the Great Fire of 1666 so figured they had to be talking about his father Charles I and sometime during the early 1600s.

How can there be two Charles I’s? Wouldn’t this one be Charles III?

Edited by Cotypubby
  • LOL 1
18 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

How can there be two Charles I’s? Wouldn’t this one be Charles III?

The Charles I in the picture above and the Charles II (his son) who reigned during the Great Fire of 1666 were kings of England (and Scotland and Ireland), but the Charles I in the Final Jeopardy clue was a 20th century Emperor of Austria (and several other titles). The numbering systems of the two monarchies (UK and Austria) are completely separate.

Congrats to Courtney for the upset, but I would have been happy with any of them winning. It was a pretty good group, despite some surprising TS's.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Lost (a guess, and I assumed I was wrong...I've seen maybe ten minutes of one episode of that show). 

Consider yourself lucky. 

3 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

And I couldn’t believe Courtney couldn’t hear me yelling Odyssey.

I wasn't the only one yelling Odyssey.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, Cherpumple said:

The Charles I in the picture above and the Charles II (his son) who reigned during the Great Fire of 1666 were kings of England (and Scotland and Ireland), but the Charles I in the Final Jeopardy clue was a 20th century Emperor of Austria (and several other titles). The numbering systems of the two monarchies (UK and Austria) are completely separate.

Don't forget though that James I of Scotland was also James VI of England!

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, Cherpumple said:

Congrats to Courtney for the upset, but I would have been happy with any of them winning. It was a pretty good group, despite some surprising TS's.

Wow did I read that clue wrong! 🤣I totally thought it was a future English king who also became king of Austria. It has nothing to do with England at all! 🤦‍♀️ And then when the answer was given I thought it was referring to the current English Charles… who of course wasn’t even alive in 1914. 

Whoops 😅 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

I said New London rather than New Haven for the Connecticut city.  Sometimes it's better to know only a little about some subject if you hope to successfully guess at an answer like this one.

I didn't feel very engaged tonight although the gameplay was quite good.  I'm in a funny mood, I guess.  I didn’t feel Gupta was remarkably good or bad. I've said this before too, but I'm ready to get off the guest host ride.  I want to get home and relax with someone familiar at the helm.

8 hours ago, illdoc said:

Coincidentally, according to the almanac in today's paper, it's the anniversary of Franz Josef's assassination (as well as Helen Keller's admittance to Radcliff). 

I read a morning roundup from a national newspaper which also mentioned the former fact.  I think I would have recognized what the clue was referring to but struggled to nail the year if not for that.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 2

I'm ready to get off the guest host ride.  I want to get home and relax with someone familiar at the helm.

Me too. They'll never fill Alex's shoes, but pick someone.

• Love 5
(edited)
6 hours ago, nokat said:

Consider yourself lucky. 

I was so confused by that ten minutes I saw I just went back to my room. (My parents were watching it,)

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, nokat said:

Me too. They'll never fill Alex's shoes, but pick someone.

I'm kinda hoping they've already picked the new host and they're using the time to make sure they have plenty of practice so things will run smoothly and they'll tighten up the game come the new season.

11 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I was a little jealous of Spencer's hair.

I knew those too, apart from Lost, plus "Chronicle of a Death Foretold." I never got into Lost, and thought I had the last laugh on people who followed it faithfully for years only to be frustrated at the end.

And I too loved Spencer's hair. It would have been nice to have a few more days to look at it, but good for Courtney for pulling it off at the end. I didn't have high hopes for her when she missed that Odyssey DD.

I thought Dr. Gupta did fine also. There haven't been any guest hosts I haven't liked except for Oz, and even he doesn't fill me with "I'm never watching the show again if they pick him!" rage.

• Love 4