Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

James Whistler and Oscar Wilde were often at the same parties. Once someone made a clever remark and Wilde said, "I wish I had said that." Whistler replied, "You will, Oscar."

• LOL 5
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I had no need to adapt my signature, as I never could even approximate it. So these days I just scrawl, and it accepts it. Kind of useless, really, if it accepts any scrawl.

They're kind of pointless, anyway. It's not like the signature is going back to the credit card company for verification, nor is the cashier handling your card (usually) so they aren't checking it against the signature on the card like they (theoretically) used to do.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

The thing I like about Savanah is that I think she's improving --like maybe she watches each show and adjusts a bit before the next day? 

Except her two weeks is shot in two days, five shows one after the other on each day.

I loved her yellow dress but knew as soon as I saw it that some *ahem* "posters" here would rank on it, just because. I'm one of the few who doesn't give a care what anyone wears, as long as it covers them up.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Nobody, and I mean nobody, I don’t care who you are, looks good in neon yellow.   I have been unimpressed with Savannah’s clothing choices.

Why did she choose that dress?  Not only was it extremely plain in design, the brightness of that neon color made my eyes hurt.

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

They're kind of pointless, anyway. It's not like the signature is going back to the credit card company for verification, nor is the cashier handling your card (usually) so they aren't checking it against the signature on the card like they (theoretically) used to do.

You're right they are not. 

But as a doctor, I sign sometimes for samples. And then like 3 months later I will get a form I have to sign with a copy of my signature asking if this is my actual signature.  It's so the companies know the reps are just faking signatures.  But still, I am giving my signature to confirm my prior signature. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:
15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

The thing I like about Savanah is that I think she's improving --like maybe she watches each show and adjusts a bit before the next day? 

Except her two weeks is shot in two days, five shows one after the other on each day.

Oh. Right.
Would she have likely reviewed the first week's tape the night before the second week was shot?
If there's no time between "episodes" to review the tapes, I'm guessing it might be like when I would be teaching 6 sections of Psyc 101 students how to use PsycInfo, and, each semester, after my first class, I'd bemoan everything I forgot or should have done better, and then by the 3rd section, I'd have it down.

I always felt bad for the students in the first section, but they were supposed to come to the library if they needed any further help, and a few always did. I hoped the rest of them hit up those students for tips, but more likely they just copied answers. 

So maybe Savanah just observes the facial expressions on the contestants when an "atta boy!" remark doesn't land, and she self corrects. Anyway, I've liked her more the second week than at first.

And if I could have found a yellow dress on the sale rack for my daughter's wedding, I would have worn it. 
But all y'all will be glad to know it was a light blue.

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

And if I could have found a yellow dress on the sale rack for my daughter's wedding, I would have worn it. 

Not "all." Don't lump everyone into the "boring" category. The yellow dress gets a GFY from me. Meaning, the yellow dress you didn't find. I love all colors, the brighter and bolder the better. Primary colors ROCK.

• Love 4
43 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

nd if I could have found a yellow dress on the sale rack for my daughter's wedding, I would have worn it. 

I don't think yellow looks good on me, but I'm not against it in theory.

• Love 3

I've liked everything that Savannah's worn during her hosting stint. I think her style choices have been excellent, including, perhaps even especially, the yellow dress. To me, she's been a very pleasant surprise.

For FJ, my brain took a wild left turn on me. I knew instantly that they were looking for the first woman in space and Valentina came to mind right away. Unfortunately, my brain then jumbled the surname of the fabulous late '60s/early '70s Soviet gymnast Ludmilla Tourischeva with the actual surname of the cosmonaut and I came up with something like Torishkeva, which I knew wasn't right and would most certainly have been ruled incorrect.

• Love 7
54 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

or FJ, my brain took a wild left turn on me. I knew instantly that they were looking for the first woman in space and Valentina came to mind right away. Unfortunately, my brain then jumbled the surname of the fabulous late '60s/early '70s Soviet gymnast Ludmilla Tourischeva with the actual surname of the cosmonaut and I came up with something like Torishkeva, which I knew wasn't right and would most certainly have been ruled incorrect.

Maybe not.  They tend to give more leeway with foreign names and words.  

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Taft-Hartley was one of those I just couldn’t quite manage to dredge up.  I was sitting on my sofa, saying, “Har, Har, Har something!” And then time ran out.

I said "Hart" and knew there was a syllable missing but couldn't come up with it in time.

Nope. Yellow's nice, but not THAT yellow. It was quite lurid. I can't imagine what it looks like in real life if TV tones down colors.

I knew Valentina's last name, but wasn't sure how to spell it. I'm not sure HOW I knew her last name - I've never watched OitNB.

46 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I said "Hart" and knew there was a syllable missing but couldn't come up with it in time.

Nope. Yellow's nice, but not THAT yellow. It was quite lurid. I can't imagine what it looks like in real life if TV tones down colors.

I knew Valentina's last name, but wasn't sure how to spell it. I'm not sure HOW I knew her last name - I've never watched OitNB.

Today's tv doesn't tone down colors much, if at all. In some cases they are brighter than they are in person because the hd cameras aren't handling them well (or our tvs don't translate them well). I think this is the same thing that happened with Mayim's pink dress.

• Love 1

FJ was an instaget for me (it is just one of those names that stayed stuck in my head once I learned it)  but I would certainly have been doubting my ability to spell it properly under pressure. 

Whistler was easy for me - the Detroit Institute of Arts has the Nocturne in Black and Gold in its collection and a local writer did a play about the trial over it that was put on by the Hilberry Theater at Wayne State University.  But  I can believe that it might not be common knowledge and could trip someone up the way I would be for many science-based clues. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

Today's tv doesn't tone down colors much, if at all. In some cases they are brighter than they are in person because the hd cameras aren't handling them well (or our tvs don't translate them well).

Yes, if IRL I had found a mother-of-the-bride dress that was as intensely yellow as Savannah’s glowed on my TV screen, it would have not been appropriate for me to wear to the wedding. But a buttercup or lemon yellow — I would have happily worn —regardless of it being my color or not. 💛💝

• Love 4
(edited)

lol...the only category I ran in the first round was Ice Cream. Sounds about right. I got four each in Book Titles and Chile. There were no TSes!

In round 2 I ran Brand Names in Music and Ends in ADO, missed two each in the other categories except Mythology, in which I got a whopping 1 clue (and the easiest one at that). Go me. My only TSes were mastodon and snail.

FJ was an instaget and I've never even read the book. 

I got 67% correct in both rounds plus FJ for a final score of....67%!

Tied with Tuesday for my best game of the week so far (though I didn't keep score on Monday).

I like the new champ. Not crazy about Savannah's two different shades of purple...(but I otherwise liked her outfit, except I would break an ankle in those shoes).

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 4

FJ was an instaget. Whoo-hoo. I feel like it's been a while.

I got the missed clues of order of the garter, mastadon and snail.

I got the entire category of book seasons right.  

Had a pretty good night.

Also, I was just like the contestant on that Adonis answer. I was like Adonis, maybe, I guess?

• Love 3

I'll be watching something else, so it was an archive game for me.

I had no idea there were state fossils.

I almost ran the first round, but I couldn't pull Atacama out of my brain, and I didn't know T-Pain. 

I was off to a good start in DJ, running Brands in Music, but they went to Mythology next and I blew the entire category (I can't believe I didn't guess Adonis).  I also missed two in fossils and one each in holidays and Churchill; ends in a-d-o is the only other category I ran.

I didn't get FJ.  I've heard of the novel, but not enough for the keywords to have clued me in.  It was one of those that wasn't at all coming to me, and then once it was revealed, I thought, "Oh, of course."

• Love 2

We had to listen to that book on tape in high school, during class.  It took weeks and weeks to finish at 40 minutes per listen!  So yeah, I got that one.  I could have read it in one weekend.  

The only TS I got was mastodon.

I hated Savannah's outfit tonight. 

• Love 2

Everyone ran the 'TIS THE SEASONAL BOOK TITLE category, right?

I actually got FJ, and was even happier that so did law student Armand, who, in Savannah's words, does not need a makeover, LOL.

I would have worn Savannah's outfit. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, DonnaMae said:

Why did she choose that dress?  Not only was it extremely plain in design, the brightness of that neon color made my eyes hurt.

Yes, that was my main issue with the dress - it was so bright it actually hurt my eyes to look at! If it was less bright and I had been able to actually look at it, I'm sure it would have been fine.

43 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I tuned in a minute late, just in time to catch the response to the first clue (I checked the archive to see if I would have known it, and I would have). I did not get the second question partly because I hadn't yet figured out what the category actually was.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

FJ was an instaget and I've never even read the book. 

I've never read the book either, but I'm a HUGE Will Rogers fan and saw the 1931 movie several times. First run, at the theater! Broke my heart when Will and Wiley were killed.

• Love 4

I've been super busy gardening and STUFF... and read this thread before seeing yesterday's show (and today's) and I was expecting some gawdawful, hideous neon yellow dress and stompy high heels ... and all I saw was a gorgeous women doing an amazing job. Savannah's got my vote in just about every category: demeanor, style, smile, good conversationalist, and she does a great job making it all about the contestants (they're the stars of the show as per Alex, right?), plus she's compassionate - it oozes out of her in just the right amount, at the right time. When she does get personal - tv binging - it's fun facts.

I like to champion women (and men). Support them, especially if they are deserving of said support.

I'm finding it so refreshing to see a woman who's confident in her ability to host J! and she's doing it with grace, wearing beautiful attire. Let's compare her to the women who are constantly in the media exhibiting their tight abs (grrr... I hate them all) or showing their (apparently this is the new 'thing') butt cleavage. My eyes! My eyes! (said in Phoebe voice) Not that I think they should hide their assets... I just prefer some (any?) modesty in this stage of life.

If I could change one thing, it would be that very slight tendency of Savannah's voice to remind me of Drew Barrymore on occasion (is that vocal fry?) - but that's really small stuff. She's so pleasant, that her voice carries a "kind" tone. I like that... almost as much as I like Arman's smile. He should get a contract with a toothpaste company! Nice player... I look forward to seeing him again.

• Love 11

I am so glad that lately if I am not connecting to a contestant they end up losing without going five shows or more. I typically don't notice a lot that other people do, but we had one recently whose rocking and mouth movement was jarring...and one who was so robotic.  

Outside of that, we have had some good games lately. I like competitive games more than blowouts.  The only blowouts I enjoyed where James' shows. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

The only one of those titles I knew was “Winter’s Bone” and that was because of the movie. No clue on any of the others.

No clue for FJ tonight either. The only “Clarence” character that I could think of was from “It’s a Wonderful Life.”

• Love 1
9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

You'll be a beautiful MOB! (I'm a 'blue' person... with emphasis on the periwinkle shade... or opal-turquoise... or robin's egg blue... or blue jean denim... and although I love yellow on other people, I'm never drawn to it for me.)

3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Yep! IEIYKI.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Cotypubby said:
10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

The only one of those titles I knew was “Winter’s Bone” and that was because of the movie. No clue on any of the others.

Interesting. I just assumed (never good to assume anything) that since there were only 4 options for each correct question that they would be easy to figure out. But now that I look at them again, I realize that if you had never heard of the titles, it would be just as impossible to come up with the correct responses in the allotted time as it would be for any other category.

7 hours ago, Bliss said:

You'll be a beautiful MOB! (I'm a 'blue' person... with emphasis on the periwinkle shade... or opal-turquoise... or robin's egg blue... or blue jean denim... and although I love yellow on other people, I'm never drawn to it for me.)

Whoops. I used ambiguous verb tenses. The wedding was 2 years ago, LOL. But thanks!
Double whoops: I just realized that I returned the blue dress and wore a pink and white floral. 
I don't know why I did that, because I am definitely a blue person too!

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Interesting. I just assumed (never good to assume anything) that since there were only 4 options for each correct question that they would be easy to figure out. But now that I look at them again, I realize that if you had never heard of the titles, it would be just as impossible to come up with the correct responses in the allotted time as it would be for any other category.

Actually,  I had never heard of the Wodehouse book, but Spring Fever is a pretty common saying, so I guessed that one.  And I think without having heard of it I would have guessed The Long Winter, because that's usually the season you don't want dragging out.  Especially back in pioneer days.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

My thought process for FJ was Camelot, Camelot, Clarence,  Camelot....oh yes! Camelot!

9 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

No clue for FJ tonight either. The only “Clarence” character that I could think of was from “It’s a Wonderful Life.”

My thought process was "Camelot = Connecticut Yankee =Twain" then "Pilgrims huh?", and finally "Clarence the Angel? WTF" but fortunately I stuck with my initial response. It's been a very long time since I read the book. Decades.

I might have run 3 Rings, if they hadn't thrown in a more or less contemporary musician. (I don't know him, so I don't know if he's recent, or within the last 20 years).  Just as I would have run Ice Cream if my husband wasn't faster than me on Baked Alaska.

I did well on a few others, but not well enough to say I came close to running them.

• Love 2

My problem with FJ (even though I know Twain is a frequent American Authors answer) is that when I think of Connecticut Yankee, I think of the Rodgers and Hart musical and not of the source material.  So my brain remained unTwained. 

But now I have the lyrics of "To Keep My Love Alive" (a wonderfully wicked song) playing through my mind.  Oh well worse earwigs have lodged there in the past.

• Love 5
36 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

My problem with FJ (even though I know Twain is a frequent American Authors answer) is that when I think of Connecticut Yankee, I think of the Rodgers and Hart musical and not of the source material.  So my brain remained unTwained. 

But now I have the lyrics of "To Keep My Love Alive" (a wonderfully wicked song) playing through my mind.  Oh well worse earwigs have lodged there in the past.

I never knew there was a musical. After reading its history, I guess I can see why. Before my time (😂).

• LOL 3

I didn't know what melting had to do with it, but I associate Carvel with ice cream cakes, so that's what I said.  I would like a Fudgie the Whale visual clue in the near future to make me feel better. ;)

• Love 3

Well I have had two bad nights in a row, but was thrilled to see that the first board cleared last night with no TSs. I will need something stronger tonight  than ice cream and may consider a martini 🍸. At least I won’t feel as bad if this week comes up with one big fat zero for me! 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I just assumed (never good to assume anything) that since there were only 4 options for each correct question that they would be easy to figure out.

I predicted they would throw in a fifth (autumn) to be a bit tricky, but I was wrong.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, dcalley said:

I predicted they would throw in a fifth (autumn) to be a bit tricky, but I was wrong.

Good point. Or it could have legitimately been in a foreign language, or possibly something like "...Vernal Equinox of Love..." [made up title], and maybe in a Double Jeopardy! Round they would have been trickier, right?

I just assumed (never good to assume anything) that since there were only 4 options for each correct question that they would be easy to figure out.

That's largely how it worked for me.  I think the only seasonal titles I specifically knew as books were Legends of the Fall (and that because of the movie) and Winter's Bone; most of them I just guessed (correctly, as it turned out) based on which of the four seemed the most likely to fill in the blank.

• Love 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Just as I would have run Ice Cream if my husband wasn't faster than me on Baked Alaska.

We made Baked Alaska in 8th grade Home Ec...we didn't get to use a blowtorch :-(

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 1

Only ran What Else Should "IB"? and Anthropology (Born to Run is a good book, btw), missed one each in Singing, Around the Garden, Factories, Weather Songs and 7-letter words. The literature category was not kind to me tonight (only got one; The Little Prince) and I got zero Journalists (though I probably would have come up with Edward R. Murrow if I'd had a few more seconds).

My only TSes: Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, & Thyme; Pueblo; and sighted.

FJ was easy (but not for the contestants, apparently), so there's that.

Felt bad for Arman, he seemed to go blank several times. But I like the new champ, too.

I liked Nikkee's jacket.

Debate: the other day's bright yellow dress or today's more muted dusty-yellow suit?

• Love 3

Oh, Arman, I had such high hopes for you.

I swear, every time I really (really!) like a champ, seems they are jinxed... so I guess the secret is to not like anyone! Grinchhood, here I come.

• LOL 5

i got FJ, but I said Great White Way not The Great White Way because then it would make it 4 words.

I got the missed clues of oak leaf, Pueblo and Ivan.

I got the entire category of anthropology right.

Did pretty good in the first round.  Not so great in the second round to end up with an OK game.

Instaget FJ for me tonight, and woo hoo, an asterisk!  

I also got the TS of parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme, along with ceiling, Columbia, and Saturn.  I didn't specifically say Saturn V, but I'm counting it anyway.

Armand really tanked, didn't he?  Bless his heart.  I felt kind of bad for him, but I'm good with the new champ, too.

• Love 7
27 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Felt bad for Arman, he seemed to go blank several times. But I like the new champ, too.

I liked Nikkee's jacket.

Debate: the other day's bright yellow dress or today's more muted dusty-yellow suit?

I too liked Arman, but the new champ is fine. Didn’t care for Nikkee,but that was a nice jacket.

I prefer the more muted suit from today.

For FJ, it was an instaget for the first time this week, and an asterisk too!

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Katy M said:

i got FJ, but I said Great White Way not The Great White Way because then it would make it 4 words.

I didn't get it.  I also thought that The Great White Way contains four words, not three.  The answer was written very badly.  It shouldn't have mentioned how many words were in the question.  All I could think of containing three words was The Big Apple, but I knew that it couldn't be correct, because it had nothing to do with bright lights.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, DedicatedFan said:

I didn't get it.  I also thought that The Great White Way contains four words, not three.  The answer was written very badly.  It shouldn't have mentioned how many words were in the question.  All I could think of containing three words was The Big Apple, but I knew that it couldn't be correct, because it had nothing to do with bright lights.

I'm glad they said 3 words because my first answer was Broadway and then I reread the clue and I was like, uh, apparently not.

• Love 2

I was 100% certain I was wrong, and would never have written this down had I been on the show, but the only thing I could think of for FJ that was 3 words and had to do with lights was Red Light District 😂

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
(edited)

I had time to slowly sing "Parsely, sage, Rosemary, and thyme" twice before Savannah called the TS, and was feeling pretty proud of myself until Savannah a little later acknowledged the correct response of "What is vibrato?" with a "Yes" in a perfectly melodious vibrato of her own. Did she practice? 

I have a nearly uncanny sense of balance, but I cannot even do a cartwheel. Nevertheless, I got right pretty much all of the answers aerialist Nickee did too. I wonder if she's an ambidextrous lefty like me too. Sadly, her Chicagoan FJ response of Miracle Mile [sort of] crossed my mind too [in the form of "Magnificent Mile] and kept crowding out NYC streets. All I could do was silently run through "...they say the neon lights are bright on Broadway -- on Broadway..." So near and yet so far.

I also got the TS of sighted, and was surprised it was a TS.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I had time to slowly sing "Parsely, sage, Rosemary, and thyme" twice before Savannah called the TS, and was feeling pretty proud of myself until Savannah a little later acknowledged the correct response of "What is vibrato?" with a "Yes" in a perfectly melodious vibrato of her own. Did she practice? 

Vibrato was the only singing clue I missed and I was annoyed because a song came up on my ipod when I was driving home from work with a lot of vibrato, and I commented to myself about it, and then it didn't come to me in time. Grr.