Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

8 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I said Jabberwocky.  I realized my mistake the second the first contestant was ruled incorrect, but too l ate by then.

OK, my real insta-answer was Jabberwocky but then I counted the letters real quick and then remembered the poem is Jabberwocky but the creature is the Jabberwock.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

OK, my real insta-answer was Jabberwocky but then I counted the letters real quick and then remembered the poem is Jabberwocky but the creature is the Jabberwock.

I kept trying to count the letters but realized I didn't know how to spell it.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Katy M said:

The one who wrote Jaberwocky had the right number of letters...

Edited by ams1001
  • LOL 2
(edited)

I counted the letters in “Jabberwocky” and decided there must just be one “b,” contrary to my recollections. Perhaps the contestant who gave the same answer got there the same way. So near and yet so far.

I got it all under FEMA and Boroughs. I generally avoid saying that I thought such and such was very easy, because I’m sure it can seem snotty, and we all have our strengths and weaknesses. But especially by the end, when it came down to process of elimination from a list of 5 well-known items, I thought that category was incredibly easy. The individual questions were not too tough on their own.

I think I will really miss Savannah. I find myself not noticing she is there, in the best possible way.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 8

Great performance by the new champ; she was first to ring in on nearly half the clues, and she only had one wrong answer (and, of course, ran away with the game in the second half of DJ).

I know geography TS should never surprise me, but Argentina did a bit.  I also wasn't expecting California & Oregon to go without even a guess.

I pre-guessed Cary Grant in the C.G., I category, but, alas, he was not there.

I did every bit as well in the sci-fi & fantasy category as I figured I would - I knew not a single clue.  Other than that, I ran the first round.  In DJ, I only ran Around the World, Playing in Traffic, and C.G., I, but I only missed six among the remaining categories.

I did not know FJ, though.  It made perfect sense once it was revealed, but I could have had more time and still not come up with that one (and if I had, I'd have said "Jabberwocky", so I'd have still been wrong).

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I said Jabberwocky.  I realized my mistake the second the first contestant was ruled incorrect, but too l ate by then.

What did you eat?  A little humble pie, maybe?  ;-)

• LOL 2

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
      Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
      And the mome raths outgrabe.
“Beware the Jabberwock, my son!

Good friends of mine raise and show Scottish Terriers under the Jabberwock prefix. That was an easy FJ for me as I think "Beware the Jabberwock, my son" every time I see them or one of their dogs. Heck, I don't even have to see them or their Scotties, I think of that line often. What that says about me ... who cares, right?

Webster was a snap the day before too. For anyone who knows my typical FJ scores, this is an atypical week. So far anyway.

• Love 8
14 minutes ago, saber5055 said:
On 6/21/2021 at 10:04 PM, Bliss said:

anyone watching the Chase may remember the pen_is mightier than the sword.

Actually, it's from when "Sean Connery" played Jeopardy on SNL.

“Actually”, I think The Chase was referencing a NYT crossword clue that was referencing the SNL bit. 

Fun fact. I was in tjmaxx a few years ago with my daughter, and in the impulse item row, there were pens inscribed with “the pen is mightier”. She immediately snatched them up as a gift for her brother who had all the SNL celebrity jeopardy’s saved & ready to share. 

• Love 2

Why would the British call a pedestrian crossing a Pegasus?  Surely a Pegasus would just fly across and avoid the traffic altogether.  Come to think of it, they also have Pelican, Puffin, and Toucan crossings.  And the only Zebra (the original) crossing the road in the UK must have escaped from a zoo.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Leeds said:

What did you eat?  A little humble pie, maybe?  ;-)

No I was just so late that the l was way before the ate.

5 hours ago, Leeds said:

Why would the British call a pedestrian crossing a Pegasus?  Surely a Pegasus would just fly across and avoid the traffic altogether.  Come to think of it, they also have Pelican, Puffin, and Toucan crossings.  And the only Zebra (the original) crossing the road in the UK must have escaped from a zoo.

I thought from the clue that it was a horse crossing.  Maybe in the UK horses have wings:)

• Love 2
(edited)
17 minutes ago, Katy M said:
6 hours ago, Leeds said:

I thought from the clue that it was a horse crossing.  Maybe in the UK horses have wings:)

Everything we might want or need to know for this or future such Jeopardy! questions:

The part specifically about the Pegasus crossing starts here: https://youtu.be/bK-nzKtR1jk?t=253

Edited by shapeshifter
typo
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Everything we might want or need to know for this or future such Jeopardy! questions:

The part specifically about the Pegasus crossing starts here: https://youtu.be/bK-nzKtR1jk?t=253

Are you sure this isn't a heretofore unknown Monty Python sketch?  (Perhaps an intended companion piece to The Ministry of Silly Walks that got dropped?)

• LOL 2

I don’t know if Savannah used a stylist or borrowed some of her Today Show wardrobe, but I’ve been a fan of her clothing choices. 
    I did ok, but not well. I got Oregon and California, Argentina, and Isle of Wright. I never came up with FJ and even thought the person who said Jabberwocky was correct. I’ve been at the lower tables for so long that I can’t count past 4 😂

• Love 3
(edited)
12 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got Casey Jones, but I'm not a fan of the Grateful Dead.  he's just the only famous train engineer that has songs sung about him (to the best of my knowledge)

I had a head slap can't believe I said that answer, but I forgot what it was.

I got too deep and said Gaia instead of Mother Nature.  And I got the acropolis, but I thought to msyelf why would they have a statue of a sneaker?  Realized my idiocy a few seconds later.

I got Casey Jones the same way - I didn't know (or thought I didn't know) the Grateful Dead song, but I sure as heck knew the original song. My husband sang a verse of the Dead song, and I realized I did know it, just didn't absorb it.

I said Gaia too.

12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I of course knew the TS of Cali and OR for forest fires, having lived on the border of the 2 states for 15 years.
I did a lot better today, which, for me, means only missing one in several categories.

Having spent last summer in a state of high anxiety as towns close to us were decimated and friends of ours impacted, it was a no brainer for me.  This fire season started sooner, and I'm already anxious.

12 hours ago, Katy M said:

I found that I couldn't count and think of the word (or rather that it took too much time). I said Jabberwock, but thought I was wrong, that it was jabberwocky. So I was pleasantly suprised.

9 hours ago, saber5055 said:

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
      Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
      And the mome raths outgrabe.
“Beware the Jabberwock, my son!

Good friends of mine raise and show Scottish Terriers under the Jabberwock prefix. That was an easy FJ for me as I think "Beware the Jabberwock, my son" every time I see them or one of their dogs. Heck, I don't even have to see them or their Scotties, I think of that line often. What that says about me ... who cares, right?

I once saw a professional story teller (who knew that was a profession?) perform this poem. It was brilliant (or rather brillig). He put so much emotion into nonsense words that it felt like it made sense.

The first board was very good to me, I ran "Al" words (despite signal interference), and missed only one in most of the other categories.

The second board, not so much. I did know two to four in each category. I was totally shocked that I got "sidreal," the answer was a total guess. I knew "sleeping policeman"because I read a lot of British books (often police related). I love that term. Seems so whimsical for Brits - but then a Pegasus crossing is also pretty whimsical, if a bit inaccurate.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2
59 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I knew "sleeping policeman"because I read a lot of British books (often police related). I love that term. Seems so whimsical for Brits - but then a Pegasus crossing is also pretty whimsical, if a bit inaccurate.

If Lewis Carol isn't whimsical (albeit sometimes a little dark), I'm not sure who is! 

• LOL 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I once saw a professional story teller (who knew that was a profession?)

There was one either on Jeopardy or some other show I watch. Shows tend to blend together.

I'm still boggling over the answer of "chicken run" the other day. Yeah sure, I know there was a cartoon movie named that. But I'm talking real chickens when I say I was tasked with gathering eggs as a kid, and as an adult I raised chickens and sold eggs. Friends did the same, each with his/her own favorite breeds. And I have a good friend who shows chickens and judges chicken shows. While horses are let out into paddocks off their stalls and dogs are let out into kennel runs, chickens are let out into PENS or YARDS when their coops are opened in the morning.

Yeah, I know you can google "chicken run" and that's what it's called on the Internet, but I'm talking RL where we actually work full time with, you know, real CHICKENS.

Good on those contestants for making it a TS because it was a (chicken) cr*p clue.

17 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

“Actually”, I think The Chase was referencing a NYT crossword clue that was referencing the SNL bit. 

"Actually," you might maybe perhaps be correct. The Chase has been preempted here two weeks in a row, first by the WKC, second by the weather that wiped out a western Chicago suburb.

Edited by saber5055
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, Leeds said:
8 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I knew "sleeping policeman"because I read a lot of British books (often police related). I love that term. Seems so whimsical for Brits - but then a Pegasus crossing is also pretty whimsical, if a bit inaccurate.

If Lewis Carol isn't whimsical (albeit sometimes a little dark), I'm not sure who is! 

Fair point. 👍Though I was thinking more of government organizations. Not widely known for having a sense of humor. 😄

Edited by Clanstarling

I went to see "In The Heights" again last night (just as good the second time!), so am just now watching Tuesday's game.  Instaget FJ, though I did stop and count the letters before I wrote it down.

TS I got include Earthsea, California and Oregon, 1800, Argentina, and Mother Nature.  It's not nice to fool Mother Nature!  

• Love 2

If I were ever to go on Jeopardy, in addition to state capitals, I would memorize the name Valentina Tereshkova.

She seems to come up a lot over the years.

All I could remember today was "Valentina".

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

J! - 70%, I ran nothing, but I only missed one each in 5 Acts, Lightning, and In a Bottle, and two each in the other categories. I got all the 200 and 400 clues....

DJ - 50%, Again ran nothing, missed one in Art & Artists. two each in Rhyme Time, Historic Numbers, and TV, and only got one each in the other two categories.

FJ - I got Valentina, do I get half a point? 59%

Missed clues I got: Hartley, White Lightning, Big Mouth, Blue Bloods, Whistler (purely a guess), 100 Days

• Love 2

I knew what they were going for, but I couldn't get past Valentina.  Do you get partial credit for a first name?

The only missed clue I got was Hartley.

I got the entire category of Acts.  

I totally tanked DJ. I got at least 1 clue in each category, but the only one I did well in was rhyme time where I only missed the 400. Evrything else was only 1 or 2 clues.  Totally not my night.

• Love 2

No clue as to FJ! even after the answer was revealed.  Whistler was an instaget.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, I don’t care who you are, looks good in neon yellow.   I have been unimpressed with Savannah’s clothing choices.

• Love 2

It was a very bad night for me!  I don't suppose the judges would have accepted, "that Russian woman who went to space" for FJ -- that's all I could come up with.  Never in a million years would I have gotten her name.  

And the only TS that I got was thunderbolt.  I almost knew a couple of others, but just couldn't dredge them up in time.

• Love 7
41 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

It was a very bad night for me!  I don't suppose the judges would have accepted, "that Russian woman who went to space" for FJ -- that's all I could come up with.  Never in a million years would I have gotten her name.  

I was just coming here to say that exact thing!  But I might have left off "woman" since that was in the category.

• Love 5
(edited)

I doubt I would have remembered Tereshkova's last name but for a monologue by the spectacular Kate Mulgrew as Red in "Orange is the New Black."  I can hear exactly the way she pronounced it even now.  So thanks, Kate!  Olga Korbut was not a bad guess from Joel.  She was "the Sparrow from Minsk" who won four gold and two silver medals in gymnastics, but too late for the clue, in 1972 and 1976.

I'm not sure who Danielle was thinking of with "Svetlana Vladimir..." but Tereshkova's middle name was Vladimirovna.  Actually, Red includes it when she says the name, "Valentina Vladimirovna Tereshkova."  Could Danielle have been trying to remember the same line of dialogue?  Surely it's impossible to overestimate the cultural impact of Red.

I have been liking Sandy but wasn't sure I was going to be able to keep supporting her after she described five hours each way as "a quick drive."  Clearly we just don't share the same values.  Too bad! ;) 

Edited by 853fisher
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I have been liking Sandy but wasn't sure I was going to be able to keep supporting her after she described five hours each way as "a quick drive."  Clearly we just don't share the same values.  Too bad. ;)

I have been known to drive three hours to my alma mater just to meet up with my college friends for the afternoon and drive three hours back home, but I would not call that a quick drive by any means. Five hours? Definitely needs to be at least a weekend trip.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I once saw a professional story teller (who knew that was a profession?)

I did! A former classmate made a living of sorts as a storyteller. Here at Colonial Williamsburg there were storytellers too. During the pandemic, that activity diminished, but will come back to an extent.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Roaster said:

If I were ever to go on Jeopardy, in addition to state capitals, I would memorize the name Valentina Tereshkova.

Me as well.

The TS of Hartley was an Instaget for me, but I don't know why "Taft Hartley Act" resides in my brain. Do they mention it on Law & Order or X-Files??

It was a little adorable when Joel got flustered when he accidentally said "AristoCats" instead of "AristoCRats" for the category title. Combined with his story of having to live in a bathroom as part of his job, I am thinking he could easily be a character in a movie. 

1 hour ago, PaulaO said:

Nobody, and I mean nobody, I don’t care who you are, looks good in neon yellow.

Awww, I thought she pulled it off nicely. But I do like yellow. 

The thing I like about Savanah is that I think she's improving --like maybe she watches each show and adjusts a bit before the next day? 

• Love 6

Ugh; "White Lightning" is pretty much the only George Jones song I don't like, and now it's stuck in my head.

I always like Rhyme Time, and I thought some of tonight's clues in that category were particularly fun.

I'm a little surprised no one knew Hartley (it seems to me that's been asked about several times on the show).  Same with thunderbolt, Pellegrino, and blue bloods. 

I was pretty bad in the poetry category, only getting two.  Other than that, though, I only missed one in the first round (I couldn't come up with plant [in the single vowel category] in time; the second definition was tripping me up and someone rang in before I got worked it out). 

In DJ, Country Facts was my bad category - I missed three.  But I didn't stop there; I also missed two each in Aristocrats, Historic Numbers, and Art & Artists, and one in TV-pourri; Rhyme Time was the only category I ran.

FJ came to me quickly, so I ended strong.  Any other Designing Women fans think of the Trivial Pursuit game in "La Place sans Souci" (or, as Suzanne said, "La Place sans Sucky")?  That episode is probably why Tereshkova's name was so readily available to me instead of having to spend time muttering, "The cosmonaut, oh, what is her name?!"

I have a dress in a similar color as the one Savannah wore.  I wasn't sure about it on the hanger, but I loved it when I put it on.  So there are at least two people who look good in that shade of yellow.

• Love 6
40 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

The TS of Hartley was an Instaget for me, but I don't know why "Taft Hartley Act" resides in my brain.

Same here. 

15 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I always like Rhyme Time, and I thought some of tonight's clues in that category were particularly fun.

I really liked "doubly bubbly" for some reason.

21 minutes ago, Bastet said:

instead of having to spend time muttering, "The cosmonaut, oh, what is her name?!"

Which is what I was doing..."Valentina something Russian first woman in space dammit what's her last name?!?!"

22 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I have a dress in a similar color as the one Savannah wore.  I wasn't sure about it on the hanger, but I loved it when I put it on.  So there are at least two people who look good in that shade of yellow.

I know people who look good in yellow. I am not one of them.

• Love 4

All I could think of for FJ was “ first female cosmonaut”.  I guess the judges would not have accepted that answer.  I did get the TS of (San) Pelligrino. 
Danielle had beautiful handwriting.  Extra impressive because it is really difficult to write neatly with those electric stylus pens.  I have adapted my signature to a scrawl when I have to sign in stores.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Extra impressive because it is really difficult to write neatly with those electric stylus pens.  I have adapted my signature to a scrawl when I have to sign in stores.

lol...my signature is already a scrawl; usually only the initials are legible. When it's on one of those screens I often can't even manage that.

• Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Extra impressive because it is really difficult to write neatly with those electric stylus pens.  I have adapted my signature to a scrawl when I have to sign in stores.

My mother always purposefully refused to sign neatly on those devices.  I recall 15 or so years ago when they weren't very common.  She has always been skeptical of new technology, and I remember she would announce to nobody in particular "well, I won't let them capture my signature!" before stabbing at the device a few times like someone trying to pick up a dirty diaper with a stick.  Well, she's never had her identity stolen, so as far as any of us knows, she was doing the right thing. ;)

6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

The TS of Hartley was an Instaget for me, but I don't know why "Taft Hartley Act" resides in my brain. Do they mention it on Law & Order or X-Files?

Probably.  I would like to think I would know it anyway, since one of my majors not so long ago was US History and to this day I regularly read books and articles about it.  But deep in my heart I know the reason I remember it because, when Lucy Ricardo is trying to convince her Italian friend who is wanted by the immigration authorities not to go back to the pizzeria unauthorized, she tells him the "Taft-Hartley Visitors from Italy Who Work at Pizzerias Get Every Third Day Off" amendment is in effect.  "I Love Lucy" is good for so many things.  "America, she's a wonderful country!" the friend exclaims.  For all her faults, I can't disagree.

7 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I have been known to drive three hours to my alma mater just to meet up with my college friends for the afternoon and drive three hours back home, but I would not call that a quick drive by any means. Five hours? Definitely needs to be at least a weekend trip.

Right, absolutely.  My dearest friends I left behind on the east coast live about 3 hours apart and visit each other at least every other month.  They'll do the drive but wouldn't characterize it as quick.  I do 1-ish hour by public transit at least once a week, for leisure if you can believe it, and that's...quick-esque.  If I can get 20 minutes without a transfer or being on foot, that's often my "J!" time.  But 5 hours with me at the wheel?  Somebody better have died or at least been maimed.  I won't do it casually.  It's not quick.  For Graceland?  Fuhgedaboutit.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

The TS of Hartley was an Instaget for me, but I don't know why "Taft Hartley Act" resides in my brain. Do they mention it on Law & Order or X-Files??

45 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I know the reason I remember it because, when Lucy Ricardo is trying to convince her Italian friend who is wanted by the immigration authorities not to go back to the pizzeria unauthorized, she tells him the "Taft-Hartley Visitors from Italy Who Work at Pizzerias Get Every Third Day Off"

And now I can hear Lucy saying “Taft-Hartley,” but it seems I would also have heard it mentioned repeatedly on CNN and NPR (npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1038763) in 2002.  
But I think I can also hear Lennie Briscoe or Munch or Scully or Mulder invoking the Taft-Hartley Act too.

I knew who they wanted.  And I knew her first name was Valentina!

I couldn't have come up with her last name for all the money and all the time in the world.

"Who is Valentina, the first woman in space?"  Nah, probably wouldn't have accepted that.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

All I could think of for FJ was “ first female cosmonaut”.  I guess the judges would not have accepted that answer.

She was also someone who's never been in my kitchen.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I doubt I would have remembered Tereshkova's last name but for a monologue by the spectacular Kate Mulgrew as Red in "Orange is the New Black."  I can hear exactly the way she pronounced it even now.  So thanks, Kate!  Olga Korbut was not a bad guess from Joel.  She was "the Sparrow from Minsk" who won four gold and two silver medals in gymnastics, but too late for the clue, in 1972 and 1976.

I'm not sure who Danielle was thinking of with "Svetlana Vladimir..." but Tereshkova's middle name was Vladimirovna.  Actually, Red includes it when she says the name, "Valentina Vladimirovna Tereshkova."  Could Danielle have been trying to remember the same line of dialogue?  Surely it's impossible to overestimate the cultural impact of Red.

Like Joel, I thought it must be a Russian athlete, and sports are not my forte. 
But sadly I don't think I ever knew of astronaut Valentina Vladimirovna Tereshkova either. 
And now that I have said "Valentina Tereshkova" out loud 3 times, perhaps I will remember her in the future.🙂

Tuesday's Jeopardy! SCULPTURE & STATUES $2000 answer did help me early this morning when I was able to immediately fill in 1 across on the NY Times Thursday crossword puzzle given the clue "Michelangelo's only signed work" for a 5 letter word (Pieta) --although I would have gotten it without the help since art is my forte, just not so immediately.

I quickly went to the NYT's puzzle comments to see if anyone else had benefited from Tuesday's Jeopardy!, and, yes, apparently Wags of Colorado and Jennifer of Manhattan were watching with us. 👋🏻

image.png.3b9fbd25d20008f7e56934dd972bfd49.png

Edited by shapeshifter
layout
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I couldn’t remember if the Taft-Hartley Act was “Hartley” or “Huntley.” First thought was Hartley, then switched to Huntley. Doh!

I said "Hawley" instead of "Hartley."  Must have been confusing it with the Smoot-Hawley Act.

• Love 2
(edited)
13 hours ago, Roaster said:

I knew exactly who it was, but the only thing I got was "kova" (with a bunch of Russian sounding syllables before it)

13 hours ago, illdoc said:

It helps if you remembered "Whistler's Mother" is actually "Arrangement in Grey and Black No. 1"

I was getting there, but unfortunately not fast enough.

9 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I really liked "doubly bubbly" for some reason.

It's just so fun to say. Some words or expressions just feel good when your mouth works to pronounce them. Or at least, that's what I think. I may be weird in that way.

9 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Danielle had beautiful handwriting.  Extra impressive because it is really difficult to write neatly with those electric stylus pens.  I have adapted my signature to a scrawl when I have to sign in stores.

I had no need to adapt my signature, as I never could even approximate it. So these days I just scrawl, and it accepts it. Kind of useless, really, if it accepts any scrawl.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4