Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I got feedback that when I used it, I sometimes came off as arrogant, without meaning to.

This obviously was a life lesson well learned.

When I was writing/editing for the equipment industry, we were not allowed to use "unique" in any sentence. That was our publisher's unique viewpoint!

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

Ran Stock Markets and Scavengers. Missed only one Character, Age and War.

TS: aspen, sharks, Walmart, Olduvai Gorge, and Damascus.

I did not get FJ. I hated that book. Must have purged it from my memory.

Final score was 64%. Not my worst game of the week.

Fun fact: the second round Daily Doubles were right next to each other in the $1600 row.

• Love 2

I didn't know so I said Tolstoy.  At least I picked a European from the right time frame.

I got the missed clues of Beauty and the Beast, Wal-Mart, great white shark (actually I said shark, but had they asked for a bms I would have said great white because that's my go to shark), crepe, Damascus and Chagall.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

I didn't get FJ, but I should have -- that was a "d'oh" moment when the correct response was revealed.  Seems so obvious in hindsight.

Lots of TS tonight!  The ones I got include Beauty and the Beast, WalMart, aspen, Olduvai, oeuvre, crepe, and Damascus.  I almost said Chagall, but decided against him at the last second.  It wouldn't surprise me if they missed oeuvre because they didn't know how to pronounce it -- I never get it right, and I had to look up how to spell it.  

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 2

Is it true that no one can begin a story anymore without "So..." being the first word?

I liked Elaine. And I got really annoyed at "You got it!" which Savannah seemed to utter only when the guy got a response correct.

I couldn't pull Olduvai out of my memory banks. I got as far as  "dubai, no...duvai...there's something missing."

For once, I got the Black Sea correct, not confusing it with the Caspian, as is my wont.

• Love 6
(edited)

I immediately knew "quaking" aspens, crepe, and Damascus, and given a few more moments would have gotten to Chagall--but maybe not in time. 
Unlike @Katy M, I don't have a "go to shark." 😄

I was cringing at Savannah continuing to give Trenton all the "Atta-boy!" type of acknowledgments long after he was out of the hole, but clearly not likely to take the lead at that point in the game.

But I did covet her dress --although for walking across the Jeopardy stage, I would have buttoned a few more buttons: 

Untitled.png

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
42 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I immediately knew "quaking" aspens, crepe, and Damascus, and given a few more moments would have gotten to Chagall--but maybe not in time. 
Unlike @Katy M, I don't have a "go to shark." 😄

I was cringing at Savannah continuing to give Trenton all the "Atta-boy!" type of acknowledgments long after he was out of the hole, but clearly not likely to take the lead at that point in the game.

But I did covet her dress --although for walking across the Jeopardy stage, I would have buttoned a few more buttons: 

Untitled.png

Yes, I loved Savannah's dress too!  The color, the fit, the buttons: all 'tres chic"...but I'm not tall & think like she is, so it probably would not look as good on me :)

• Love 5

I have no earthly idea how I knew Kafka.  I got everything under Beauty and Consonants (I tend to do pretty well with word game clues) as well as Markets.  But much of what I didn't get, I really had no idea about.  In a way it's comforting.  I know what I know.

I'd like to see Emily keep going.  Her comments on Indian movies resonated with me. I'm not sure I would ever have tried them, but one of the historic theaters I wanted to see was showing nothing else.  I was absolutely charmed after one very funny comedy with the requisite song-and-dance break.  Of course, before I had too many chances to come back, COVID hit.  Now the theater, 95 years old, has been purchased by an investment group which thinks it would make dandy office space.  Sigh.

8 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I'm not fond of "obviously" in any context. (well, in an ironic way maybe)

I thought she did intend it ironically in this context, obviously!  Oops, there I go too. ;)  But seriously, similar feedback has also led me to excise that word from my vocabulary.

• Love 3

Savannah corrected the pronunciation of ecce - either way is correct (eckay/aitchay).

Since when is "bean counter" hyphenated?  No wonder it was a TS.

I wonder if oeuvre would have been accepted the way Savannah pronounced it.  I can't do phonetic spellings, but it's not "oovre", more like "er-vre".

Surprised no-one knew Damascus and that Emily missed Chagall.

Sorry to be shallow, but Emily's dress looked like the original sleeves were too tight so she slashed them to make them more comfortable

• Love 3

The Walmart TS really surprised me.  I was also surprised no one took a guess on the Beauty and the Beast clue (I picked the wrong one, as Alex would say, guessing Lady and the Tramp). 

Good thing I was playing at home, not on the show, because I would never have been able to stop myself from adding an "Ugh" and a big eye roll at the beginning of my Tom Brady answer.

I only got two in novels, but otherwise did well in the first round, only missing one each in cinema and age.  In DJ, I missed three in biblical art (thanks a lot, writers, combining two of my worst subjects into one category), but otherwise rocked it, just missing one in Emmys.  I didn't know FJ, though.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

Good thing I was playing at home, not on the show, because I would never have been able to stop myself from adding an "Ugh" and a big eye roll at the beginning of my Tom Brady answer.

Same here.

• Love 5
(edited)
13 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Is it true that no one can begin a story anymore without "So..." being the first word?

So, I seem to have started doing that lately...drives me crazy!

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

I could be imagining it, but I think I've seen a few contestants have a similar reaction to answers involving controversial figures.

I can't wait for Emily to move on. This is through no fault of her own!! On her first day she reminded me of someone, but I couldn't figure it out. Yesterday I mentioned it to the Mister and he said "Yeah, _______" - a person we both know who - through some fault of her own - is one of our least favorite people. Once he pointed it out -  I could not stop seeing that person in Emily's looks and manner of speech. Ugh - I hate feeling that way about a contestant.

I didn't get Kafka, I plead ignorance because I only read the book in its original German (as a military brat, I once attended a German realschule, so I'm not fancy or anything - btw, Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde is much better in the German translation). I wouldn't have known that line in English, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

I wonder if my answer of “Tom ‘f’n’ Brady” would of counted?  🤣

My husband and I watched Thursday and Friday shows back to back and did ok.  For some reason I thought Kafka was writing more in the 30’s and 40’s so completely missed that clue.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Bastet said:

The Walmart TS really surprised me.

Me too.  I think they would have gotten it if that category had been played in order and "Costco" and "Kroger" in the first two boxes had gotten them thinking about retailers like supermarkets and big-box stores.

18 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

Me too.  I think they would have gotten it if that category had been played in order and "Costco" and "Kroger" in the first two boxes had gotten them thinking about retailers like supermarkets and big-box stores.

This↑ makes me wonder if the clue writers are trying to combat the James Holzhauer tricks and methods.

• Useful 2
15 hours ago, Bastet said:

The Walmart TS really surprised me.  I was also surprised no one took a guess on the Beauty and the Beast clue (I picked the wrong one, as Alex would say, guessing Lady and the Tramp). 

I was surprised by Walmart, too. I was annoyed I didn't get Beauty and the Beast because one of the Sirius XM channels I had saved on my car stereo changed to Disney and I was listening to it for a bit last week. They played a song from B&TB and it listed Paige O'Hara (among others, but not Robby Benson) in the artist field.

19 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

For the longest time I would think I had missed the first part of the story, the lead that required a connecting word meaning therefore.  Now that I'm getting used to it, they're starting  with, "Yeah, no..."

• LOL 4
On 6/18/2021 at 6:49 AM, Browncoat said:

Julie Andrews was a coloratura before the surgery that wrecked her voice.  Watch “Victor/Victoria” — she demonstrates her range on several songs.

Yes, she was - as she makes sure to tell the club owner when he suggest she "stick to Carmen."

"I am a coloratura, Mr. Labisse - NOT a mezzo!"

On 6/17/2021 at 7:48 PM, Mindthinkr said:

No Jeopardy here tonight as they are showing the US Open Golf.

And WPXI didn't even show them at 2 or 3 AM!  Fortunately, YouTube has the entire episodes - and you don't even have to FF through the commercials.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
56 minutes ago, The Wild Sow said:

Fortunately, YouTube has the entire episodes - and you don't even have to FF through the commercials.

Wait, what? Seriously? Please give me a hint of correct search terms if not a link. 🙏🏻

2 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Wait, what? Seriously? Please give me a hint of correct search terms if not a link. 🙏🏻

Just search YouTube using Jeopardy and the date of the episode you want.  People have been posting them for years, it was just that during the James Holzhauer run when the ratings spiked, Sony started having them blocked (on copyright grounds) to force people to watch "legitimately".

• Useful 1
On 6/18/2021 at 11:02 PM, Leeds said:

Savannah corrected the pronunciation of ecce - either way is correct (eckay/aitchay).

She did that on obsequious, too, which I thought was unnecessary. Woman was already picking the next clue & got interrupted by Guthrie's "correction."  Long e, short e - how much does it really matter?

• Love 4

I didn't keep score and my only TSes were Dracula (parrot), blast from the past, and The Pelican Brief.

I also thought Roget for FJ. At least the new champ (who I liked) and I were both wrong. 

• Love 3

I waffled between Roget and Webster but went with Webster in the end. Congrats to the new champ.

TS I got include Outta, Six Million Dollar Man, Florida, The Great Santini, and JFK.  

• Love 3

So (just kidding) I didn’t get to see Emily play last week so I was hopeful for her to do well today because she had a bit over 100k from her 2 day winnings. I’m sorry she didn’t do better, but I liked Michael. I just wished he would pick clues a little faster. I got 6 Million Dollar Man, kittens, The Pelican Brief, and JFK. I thought Roget for FJ. 

• Love 1

Wrong answers all over the place today!  Let's keep those scores up for charity.  I didn't do so well myself either.  Let's try again tomorrow.

Webster was a lucky guess.  I recalled that he and Dickens both lived in New England, so while letter-writing was possible, I thought it made sense.

I just love the color red, on any person.  It really suited Savannah, I thought.  And on the substantive elements of hosting, I think she is still doing well.

• Love 9

I'm not a morning show person, so I didn't 'know' Savannah before this... I'm enjoying her (and her voice is fine with me, even though I'm a voice-sensitive soul). I like her smile, energy, and the fact she binges tv shows.

I'm also liking her wardrobe choices (I'm one of those people who watches award shows to see the gowns/outfits, and I ff through the boring bits). I've always thought women have so much more range than men do when it comes to clothing! I'd get bored to tears having to wear a suit and tie every day... poor, poor men. *snort* Perhaps it's their penance for not having the experience of giving birth. (Or, it may have something to do with biology... anyone watching the Chase may remember the pen_is mightier than the sword.)

I do enjoy men in kilts! Not so much the bagpipes that often accompany them.

• Love 8

My mind was, I guess, interesting tonight.  I first thought "jock itch" for "this type of athlete's itch" before paying attention and getting it right.  And I apparently never knew Tasman's first name, because the Abel hint in the Tasman Sea clue had me scratching my head, wondering how the hell Cain and Abel (since it seems like every other game has at least one Bible clue, that's where my mind went) related to Australia.  (I readily knew the answer based on geography, but briefly puzzled over that part of the clue and had to look it up during the commercial break.)

The guest hosts seem to have universally shied away from Alex's longstanding habit of noting when a game was a runaway heading into FJ, and I take no issue with that when it's just not mentioned - it might even be better for the audience to do the math on their own if they care - but when it's a situation like tonight, where Savannah said Michael had a "commanding lead", I get distracted - that means a lead difficult to overcome, when it's actually a lead impossible to overcome.

The dracula TS surprised me, given all the hints in the clue.  Blast from the past surprised me a little, too.

I did really well in the first round, getting all but one clue (the Vikings TS).  In DJ, I only ran paradox and map, but I only missed seven among the other categories, so not bad.  And I got FJ, so it was a good game for me.

• Love 3
(edited)

For those interested in finding complete games on YouTube, sometimes searching the names of the contestants (which can be found here if not too late in the day, when they update the results) can gain videos without searching "Jeopardy," which is purposefully omitted from some upload's titles.  The constant preemptions and other drama have frankly justified my decision not to bother paying more than I pay for all my other streaming services combined, which furnish almost literally any other current TV show I am eager to watch, for the cheapest services that would include J! in my area.  I've said before, I'd happily pay the $10-ish I send to Hulu and Netflix for dozens of shows, if they just offered a "Sony game show bundle" or something.  I'd even watch bloody Wheel to get my money's worth.  In lieu of that, they can get bent.  I've paid them enough over the years in desk calendars and other merchandise anyway.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

6 hours ago, Bastet said:

The guest hosts seem to have universally shied away from Alex's longstanding habit of noting when a game was a runaway heading into FJ, and I take no issue with that when it's just not mentioned - it might even be better for the audience to do the math on their own if they care - but when it's a situation like tonight, where Savannah said Michael had a "commanding lead", I get distracted - that means a lead difficult to overcome, when it's actually a lead impossible to overcome.

Well, it could have been overcome if the leader had been Cliff Clavin.  Otherwise, your point is well taken. ;)

Kidding aside, I have speculated (and the cats have agreed entirely, but I haven't had any other sounding board) that perhaps Alex's absence has let the production team gracefully reconsider the segue "well, this game is a runaway...join us again in a moment for Final."

If I'm an advertiser booked for the slot between the end of Double and Final, I don't want the host basically telling viewers "this match has been decided already."  For affiliates, if I were the network primetime show following J!'s syndicated slot (I was raised in a market where it showed at 7:30 on ABC, followed by their big money 8pm slot, while I now know others show it at various :00 times too), I don't want consumers to have reason at 7:53 or :54 to start channel surfing for their next thing.

I know anybody interested can just double the second highest score and see if it exceeds the leader or not.  But I am sure I know some easygoers who wouldn't wait another 5 minutes for just one question when Alex used to tell them that the game was wrapped up.   I wouldn't be surprised if the producers didn't at least strongly suggest to the guest hosts that they oughtn't say "runaway."

Edited by 853fisher
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Heh, @Bastet, my first thought at that question was also “jock itch”.  

@853fisher, I’m inclined to believe that Jeopardy viewers will keep watching regardless of whether or not the game is a runaway.  I watch as much to see the FJ clue (and to see if I can respond correctly!) as to see who wins.  Unlike sporting events, where if you know who’s going to win, the game loses appeal.  I’ve stopped watching those, but I don’t think I’ve ever turned off a runaway Jeopardy game, as much as I might like to, James.

• Love 10

I got the question right but POTs has absolutely nothing to do with a small heart and I've never heard it referenced in that fashion.  

The purple heart one.....

Ok Eisenhower not a bad guess, bit that's a pretty easy answer for JFK.  PT109

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I waffled between Roget and Webster but went with Webster in the end. Congrats to the new champ.

TS I got include Outta, Six Million Dollar Man, Florida, The Great Santini, and JFK.  

I didn't think of Webster and went with Roget. My thinking (knowing nothing about Roget as a person) is that when I write, I use a thesaurus all the time (though rarely a dictionary, which is why Webster didn't occur to me).

4 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Well, it could have been overcome if the leader had been Cliff Clavin.  Otherwise, your point is well taken. ;)

I've always been afraid that if I were a contestant and doing well, I'd Cliff Clavin it. I tend to be an all in person because I can't be bothered to calculate numbers.

I didn't do very well on these boards, though I did get the Great Santini,  Six Million Man, and JFK. Somehow I managed to run Purple Hearts. Otherwise the answer was either on the tip of my brain, or not there at all.

• Love 1

For FJ, I did think of both Webster and Roget but ultimately went with Webster because I knew he was a New Englander.  Also because I pass the house where the dictionary was written at least 4 times a week in summer going to and coming from historic Base Ball games at Greenfield Village (including this past weekend) so I was very glad that was the correct answer. 

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Otherwise the answer was either on the tip of my brain, or not there at all.

Your brain has a tip? Cool! ;-)

(I've never heard that expression before... here, we say "tip of my tongue"... but I like brain better!)

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I got the question right but POTs has absolutely nothing to do with a small heart and I've never heard it referenced in that fashion.  

Quite a few people on Twitter are complaining about that clue.

POTS has nothing to do with the size of the heart.  It is, in all likelihood, an autoimmune disorder.  I have never heard it called "Grinch syndrome."  Certainly no one in the medical community uses that term.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
56 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I didn't think of Webster and went with Roget. My thinking (knowing nothing about Roget as a person) is that when I write, I use a thesaurus all the time (though rarely a dictionary, which is why Webster didn't occur to me)

My thinking was the same, but now that I read it here, I realize I failed to calculate how often I Google words to check the spelling (or use spellcheck). 

8 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

Quite a few people on Twitter are complaining about that clue.

POTS has nothing to do with the size of the heart.  It is, in all likelihood, an autoimmune disorder.  I have never heard it called "Grinch syndrome."  Certainly no one in the medical community uses that term.

Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise: May 2006 - Volume 38 - Issue 5 - p 56 https://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Fulltext/2006/05001/John_R__Sutton_Clinical_Lecture____The_Grinch.469.aspx

• Love 1

This was from the Journal of American College of Cardiology:

Autonomic function was intact in POTS patients. The marked tachycardia during orthostasis was attributable to a small heart coupled with reduced blood volume. Exercise training improved or even cured this syndrome in most patients. It seems reasonable to offer POTS a new name based on its underlying pathophysiology, the “Grinch syndrome,” because in this famous children's book by Dr. Seuss, the main character had a heart that was “two sizes too small.”

I don't think Jeopardy can be blamed for being "problematic" and "insensitive" to just using information and terms that are already out there.  I think people need to chill out.

I missed last night's game because I had an odd cable problem.  All my lower channels (like 25 and below) were out.  Higher channels (41 and above) I had.  Obviously all the "free" network channels are the lower numbers, so, not that this is a problem I have often, but when I am out half the channels, it's usually the higher ones.  All was fine this morning, so cross my fingers for tonight.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Browncoat said:

@853fisher, I’m inclined to believe that Jeopardy viewers will keep watching regardless of whether or not the game is a runaway.  I watch as much to see the FJ clue (and to see if I can respond correctly!) as to see who wins.  Unlike sporting events, where if you know who’s going to win, the game loses appeal.  I’ve stopped watching those, but I don’t think I’ve ever turned off a runaway Jeopardy game, as much as I might like to, James.

That's certainly how I feel.  Perhaps I am making unfair assumptions about other casual viewers.  I'm thinking of a few in particular in my life who I just don't think care enough about a single question to sit through another set of ads and the think music and so on, if they've realized that the result is sewn up.  I've also read different things over the years to make me believe that advertisers and affiliates really hyper-focus on these kinds of things.  Ah, to be a fly on the wall.

• Love 4
(edited)
6 hours ago, Bliss said:

(I've never heard that expression before... here, we say "tip of my tongue"... but I like brain better!)

Tip of the hat to you! I'd claim a brain fart, but that leads us down yet another path of ignominy . Let's just say it's a fusion expression. 😉

6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

My thinking was the same, but now that I read it here, I realize I failed to calculate how often I Google words to check the spelling (or use spellcheck).

I tend to write in Word, and I don't count using their immediate spell check as a dictionary. I generally use a dictionary for meaning and word origin, not spelling. I do use Merriam Webster (!) online for that.

In any case, if I can't spell it I can't find it - being too impatient to read through multiple entries.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Katy M said:

This was from the Journal of American College of Cardiology:

I don't think Jeopardy can be blamed for being "problematic" and "insensitive" to just using information and terms that are already out there.  I think people need to chill out.

I missed last night's game because I had an odd cable problem.  All my lower channels (like 25 and below) were out.  Higher channels (41 and above) I had.  Obviously all the "free" network channels are the lower numbers, so, not that this is a problem I have often, but when I am out half the channels, it's usually the higher ones.  All was fine this morning, so cross my fingers for tonight.

That's from one small study that was published.  Literally everything I've ever been taught about pots is the complete opposite of that, except thst exercise helps.  Exercise helps most heart conditions, no surprise

I dont care about it being an offensive term. I do care when a quiz show is putting out false or misleading information.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

“So close and yet so far.” Now we’ll never know how this would have played out if Dr. Mayim Bialik (with a Ph.D.in neuroscience from UCLA) was the Jeopardy host when that question came up. 
Seriously. I can’t be the only one wondering.

I’ve been somehow sucked into watching the show “Funny You Should Ask” lately, which frequently has true-or-false questions with highly dubious answers, often based on “a study” from a less than reputable source. I keep meaning to note them and then look them up, but the lack of an active forum for that show hasn’t provided much inspiration to do so. This minor Jeopardy scandal might prove the impetus. 

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

That's from one small study that was published.  Literally everything I've ever been taught about pots is the complete opposite of that, except thst exercise helps.  Exercise helps most heart conditions, no surprise

I dont care about it being an offensive term. I do care when a quiz show is putting out false or misleading information.  

My point wasn't whether that it was right or wrong.  My point that it was a study easily googled, first thing that came up actually, in what I assume is a respectable medical journal.

They made a mistake. Nobody's perfect. As of now, they've apologized on FB and I'm sure within the next week they'll do an add in apology on the show at the beginning.  Probably by one of the producers.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Bliss said:

I recall Pat Paulsen saying something was "on the tip of my tongue. Well, not exactly on the tip, but sort of back here..." as he stuck his tongue out and tried to point to the back of it.

I think of him on Father's Day - he was in this group of old guys called "The Fathers."  Oh, look... 

• Love 2

Okay night (for me, at least), better first round than second.

Ran Boroughs and "AL" Words in the first round, got the DD and the TS of California & Oregon. (Definitely got Hurricane Sandy, since I spent part of that night listening to the wind trying to tear the siding off my house.) 77%

Ran nothing in the second round and missed both DDs. Got the TSes of Mother Nature, Argentina, chalk, and the Isle of Wight. 57%

FJ was instaget. Total 67%.

• Love 2

I said Jabberwocky.  I realized my mistake the second the first contestant was ruled incorrect, but too l ate by then.

I got the missed clues of Hudson and Argentina.  I got the entire category of buroughs correct.

I got Casey Jones, but I'm not a fan of the Grateful Dead.  he's just the only famous train engineer that has songs sung about him (to the best of my knowledge)

I had a head slap can't believe I said that answer, but I forgot what it was.

I got too deep and said Gaia instead of Mother Nature.  And I got the acropolis, but I thought to msyelf why would they have a statue of a sneaker?  Realized my idiocy a few seconds later.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

When Savannah came out in another great dress and mentioned that Michael had a "run away game" yesterday, I couldn't help wondering if she's reading our comments. 
If so: Hi Savannah! wave.gif.8be2c9d34ea6e859a3a0a5a8938e4497.gif

I of course knew the TS of Cali and OR for forest fires, having lived on the border of the 2 states for 15 years.
I did a lot better today, which, for me, means only missing one in several categories.

11 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I said Jabberwocky.  I realized my mistake the second the first contestant was ruled incorrect

So it didn't matter that I couldn't get past "Lewis Carroll," because I would have said it with the "y" on the end too.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2