Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

3 minutes ago, The Wild Sow said:

Panzerschwein!  Tank Pig!  Got it immediately even though I'd never heard the term.

Judging by your name/avatar, I'm not surprised. 

• LOL 8
26 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

and then I got Driver's License and again said, "why do I know that?!"

Or you watch SNL and saw the hilarious guy's night out pool-hall sketch a couple weeks ago.

20 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Judging by your name/avatar, I'm not surprised. 

This brightened my night. Thanks.

• Love 1
On 5/17/2021 at 8:19 PM, shapeshifter said:

How did Sarah manage to confuse scifi writer Ursula LeGuin with nature writer Rachel Carson? 

The clue said Rachel (not KIT! 😉) Carson's Marine Life essay was published as Undersea. Le Guin wrote novels set in the Fantasy world of Earthsea.

• Useful 6
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

WVEC 13 ABC? That's where we get it here, and I think I remember getting that and WAVY 10 NBC in Chincoteague too.

Yes to both of those.  WAVY will come in handy tomorrow morning when I (sadly) leave.  Although the traffic will be different by the time I get to the CBBT.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Or you watch SNL and saw the hilarious guy's night out pool-hall sketch a couple weeks ago.

This brightened my night. Thanks.

I haven't watched SNL regularly since I was in college in the 90s. I could not tell you when I last watched more than the opening, and even that is rare; only if I have the TV on already (which on a Saturday I generally don't).

Glad to have brightened your night! 😊

• Love 1

I'm gonna be that guy and pedantically point out that the more accurate translation of panzerschwein is "armored pig."  German people were in Texas before tanks (in the sense of armored war vehicles) even existed.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got the entire category of hits wrong.

Is not even recognizing the songs and/or artists wrong? I didn't even attempt an answer. I did get Kenny Chesney though. I'm guessing that's an older picture of him, because he looks about the way he did when I stopped listening to country music, which was about 20 years ago.

12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Finally, a FJ category right up my alley, Animals! Yeay! And it was an instaget for me ... Javelina! So disappointed to see the real answer was armadillo. Folks, there are armadillos in Arkansas and Missouri, they are not isolated in Texas. *sigh* That part of the clue ruined it for me. Javelinas are tank tough and real pigs on top of that.

There are indeed, but the question referred to German settlers in Texas. Though I didn't need that part to get to the answer.  I went: panzer=armored tank=armadillo. Schwein didn't even enter into it - though I knew it meant pig. I couldn't figure out why they called it a pig until you said it tasted like pig. I really didn't want to know that. 😝

12 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I was very surprised at how many clues the contestants didn’t know. Especially because a handful of them were $100 or $200 clues. 15 in all. I got the ones of R.Carter, Whitney Cummings, Pauley Shore and FJ was an instaget. Do you want to know what I noticed about Buzzy? It’s the fact that I don’t notice him. He’s unobtrusive and just keeps things moving along. I don’t even think he has had nerves doing the show. 

I got Carter, and I got Pauly but not Shore. Sheesh.

7 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

I'm gonna be that guy and pedantically point out that the more accurate translation of panzerschwein is "armored pig."  German people were in Texas before tanks (in the sense of armored war vehicles) even existed.

Another nugget to learn. Thanks!

• Love 1

Last night's game was a disappointment after Monday's great game.  I hope Nibir's total will get him a wild card spot  but I am not optimistic.

I got the missed DD of Rosalyn Carter and the ts's of alienation and riffraff.

Re FJ, I first thought tortoise but switched pretty quickly to armadillo

• Love 2

I have only recognized one player from  each game.  Justin on Monday and Nibir on Tuesday.  I like them both.  And I adore Buzzy.  The pace should be fast.  This is the Tournament of Champions, the best of the best.

As for armadillo, I was able to translate pig and for panzer kept thinking panther and I know panzer is a tank (thanks to all the WWII movies).  But I couldn't come up with armadillo.

• Love 3

My thought on Buzzy so far is that he's been better than I feared but I don't want him as regular host.

Justin and Nibir are the only contestants I remembered so far.  Ryan on Monday was an ass.

I ran the boat category last night.  Didn't even have to think about any of them.

I got armadillo for FJ mostly because I tried to think of an animal native to Texas and that's what I came up with.  Plus, it was the only one I could imagine being anything near to a schwein/pig.

• Love 2

For FJ "armored pig," my first thought was wild boar, but the clue sounded as if the animal was not found in Europe.  Luckily armadillo popped into my head at that point.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

My thought on Buzzy so far is that he's been better than I feared but I don't want him as regular host.

Justin and Nibir are the only contestants I remembered so far.  Ryan on Monday was an ass.

I ran the boat category last night.  Didn't even have to think about any of them.

I got armadillo for FJ mostly because I tried to think of an animal native to Texas and that's what I came up with.  Plus, it was the only one I could imagine being anything near to a schwein/pig.

I am seriously questioning my sanity. I never miss Jeopardy, but somehow a lot of these people I just cant seem to remember from their original shows!  There were a huge number o of clues that I knew the answer to that every contestant blanked on..

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

I am seriously questioning my sanity. I never miss Jeopardy, but somehow a lot of these people I just cant seem to remember from their original shows! 

I don't remember most of them, either, but that's typical for me - I'm here for the clues, not the contestants, so (unless they have a long run) I don't file any of these people away in my memory unless I really like or really dislike them, and that doesn't happen often.

• Love 7
38 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I don't remember most of them, either, but that's typical for me - I'm here for the clues, not the contestants, so (unless they have a long run) I don't file any of these people away in my memory unless I really like or really dislike them, and that doesn't happen often.

I agree, but I am usually good with faces. 

6 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

So were the German Panzer tanks named after the armadillos/Javelinas?

5 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

So were the German Panzer tanks named after the armadillos/Javelinas?

From what Buzzy said, I got the impression that "panzer" means "tank" in German. So "Panzer tanks" are ... "tank tanks"

• Love 1
6 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Please continue to be THAT guy, a person much needed around this thread.

• Love 8
42 minutes ago, Bastet said:

And that is likely why you are good at the game! I, OTOH, have, as my mom used to say about herself, "a head full of garbage," but in her case it was mostly false modesty, and enough of her brain content was Jeopardy relevant.

Speaking of not remembering or recognizing people: 
For yesterday's STAND-UP COMEDIANS category, I did not recognize the picture of Whitney Cummings even though I had just seen her on Funny You Should Ask, which I confess I am sort of hate-watching most days. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I don't know if it is because of the guest hosts, but this season has been much more forgiving in terms of snap rulings by the host and/or reflexive rulings by the judges. A different term is fine, but extraneous words, tenses, plurals, etc. bug me. G-d I hate my pedantry sometimes... lol.

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, catrice2 said:

I am seriously questioning my sanity. I never miss Jeopardy, but somehow a lot of these people I just cant seem to remember from their original shows!  There were a huge number o of clues that I knew the answer to that every contestant blanked on..

It seems to me it's just been so long since some of these people had their original runs.  I mean, it probably hasn't been longer than usual in real time, but the last year has just felt soooooooooooo long.

I just looked at the pictures of all 15 TOC contestants on the website, and the only ones I recognized other than the aforementioned Nibir and Jason were Mackenzie, whose run I've been watching on Sunday re-runs on Fox 45, and my cutie Sam who I felt should've been in last year's TOC but then he'd have been up against James, so good that he wasn't, I guess.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3
(edited)

Tough boards for me yesterday too.  You could have made three whole categories out of clues nobody answered correctly!

"Armadillo" passed through my mind, but I rejected it.  I think I was hung up on "pig."  Somehow I got to "guinea pig" and then, thinking of midwestern small mammals, "prairie dog."  Oy.  "Panzer" should have meant something to me, but military history has never been among my strong points.

"Today's Hits" wasn't ever going to be a strong point for me.  I wonder in these categories whether I've unwittingly heard the songs while out and about, but I recognized hardly any of them or the artists.  I did get "Driver's License" because BuzzFeed is a guilty pleasure and I sometimes click on odd-looking headlines just to see what's on with the youths.  Their ace reporters have expounded at length about what veiled criticisms the song is broadcasting to Olivia Rodrigo's exes and associates.  So kudos to them, I guess, they've been on Jeopardy!

Speaking of turning into a grouch young, I liked Nibir fine, but could've done without the round of charades at the beginning.  If it were up to me, they'd all smile and nod, wave if they must.  I don't like various goofy additions, although they're not the end of the world.  I really am becoming more like my father all the time. ;)

Edited by 853fisher
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Hey, if you can't be That Guy in the Jeopardy thread, where can you be?!

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

For yesterday's STAND-UP COMEDIANS category, I did not recognize the picture of Whitney Cummings even though I had just seen her on Funny You Should Ask, which I confess I am sort of hate-watching most days. 

I didn't recognize her, but the picture of her in my head has different hair than in the picture they used.

I was annoyed I didn't get Pauly Shore. I knew his mom owned the Comedy Store but I couldn't come up with his name in time. (My brain thought Patton Oswalt, and I knew it started with a P but that was wrong.)

• Love 3

My first thought was Natasha Leggero, as I had just watched a few episodes of the "Comedians on Couches" House Hunters commentary the night before so she was on my mind, but I knew it wasn't her, and then Cummings came to me.  Good thing it was a TS, so I had time for my brain to sort itself out.

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I didn't recognize her, but the picture of her in my head has different hair than in the picture they used.

I was annoyed I didn't get Pauly Shore. I knew his mom owned the Comedy Store but I couldn't come up with his name in time. (My brain thought Patton Oswalt, and I knew it started with a P but that was wrong.)

Coincidentally, Pauly Shore had also just been on Funny You Should Ask. I had not seen him on the show previously, and didn’t know him, and was then intrigued to see he is yet another without a Wikipedia page. And those are all of my excuses. 

• Love 2

Is Pauly Shore still a thing?

I remember Jennifer from Wednesday’s show because she is from Dowagiac Michigan where my family had a summer cottage in the 1960s.

• Love 1

One reason I like the Tournament of Champions is that the clues are harder than usual.  I was drawing a lot of blanks today.  Which is good.

Jennifer was impressive.  I don't remember seeing her before, but based on today, I would not be surprised if she gets to the final.

• Love 3

Better than last night, but that's not saying a whole lot...

J: Ran Water, only missed one in Herbs and Under the USA, got the DD, and learned that Emperor Penguins can be 100 pounds(!). 67%

DJ: Ran nothing, missed one each in Literary Antagonists and -Ola, and got zero WWII names. No DDs, but I got the TS of Handmaid's Tale, Bill Sikes, and Legion of Honor. 47% (same as last night)

FJ: I got it! Did not have high hopes for that category. I had no idea if Yemen even bordered the Red Sea, just went for a ME country at the end of the alphabet.

Overall score: 57%. 😕 Still my best game of the week so far.

The two guys looked sorta familiar but I don't remember the woman.

• Love 3

Believe it or not i got FJ right.  I changed my answer towards the end from Somalia, which apparently does not border the Red Sea.

I got the missed clue of Name of the Rose (just read it last year), zebra and balcony.

• Love 1

I have no idea what countries border the Red Sea, so I guessed Qatar.  Not only does it not border the Red Sea, there are at least two other countries closer to the end of the alphabet which do.  Le sigh.  

And the only TS I got was Ravens.  

• Love 3

Yes! Yes! 2 women so far. Loving this tournament!

I'm enjoying Buzzy more than I expected... not that I had expectations... and yet, at times, I feel like he's yelling at me. Just a bit. Not complaining - it would just help so much if he had dimples. Yes, I'm that shallow.

I'll see myself out now...

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

My answer in the "Come hell or high ..." category to the clue "Like pell-mell, it's a hyphenated rhyming term for confusion" was "higgledy-piggledy." What say ye, forum judges?

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, Bliss said:

I'm enjoying Buzzy more than I expected... not that I had expectations... and yet, at times, I feel like he's yelling at me.

Funny you say that. This weekend I watched episode 102 from Week 21 of Season 36, and I thought it sounded like Trebek was shouting, Or, to use a Seinfeld-ism, he was being a "loud talker." I felt like saying "Tone it down, Trebek." So maybe Buzzy is channeling.

Finally, I easily got a FJ. Or more accurately, my FJ guess was correct. Yeah, that's the ticket.

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, HissyFit said:

My answer in the "Come hell or high ..." category to the clue "Like pell-mell, it's a hyphenated rhyming term for confusion" was "higgledy-piggledy." What say ye, forum judges?

Yes! We will accept that!

I'm glad Jennifer with the pulmonary embolism (!!!) won, but her pronunciation of "Herbs" with the vocalized "H" was bugging me -- mainly because I do not think that is how Michiganers pronounce it, and I thought she was trying to come off as less of a country mouse or something. 

Buzzy is a "loud talker," but he's really good at doing the job. Just sayin'.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
22 minutes ago, HissyFit said:

According to the first dictionary result google gave me: "in confusion or disorder"

So, yes. 

• Love 3

I was surprised that The Handmaid's Tale was a TS, given all the attention the series received. The other TS's I got were Bill Sikes--who in the illustration looked a lot like Oliver Reed, who played him in the 1969 musical--and balcony. I got FJ on a wild guess based on the film Salmon Fishing in the Yemen.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

her pronunciation of "Herbs" with the vocalized "H" was bugging me -- mainly because I do not think that is how Michiganers pronounce it, and I thought she was trying to come off as less of a country mouse or something. 

I noticed that too, but thought that's just the way she learned it. According to the Internet, it's herb with an H in Britain and erb with no H in America. But I've heard some gringos say it with an H so figure it's however they were raised.

LOL that people from Michigan would be thought of as country mice! I have plenty of friends in that state and none of them are even slightly mouse like! (I say this as a pitchfork-wielding, hay-bale-toting country person.)

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
(edited)
22 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

LOL that people from Michigan would be thought of as country mice!

Heh, yeah, well not anyone from Motown, for sure!
But she was so surprised that Buzzy correctly pronounced her town (Dowagiac Michigan) that I jumped to the Country Mouse assumption. 
But Michigan being Canada-adjacent sent me down this rabbit hole:

...The h was added to the spelling in the Renaissance when people felt that English spellings should reflect Latin word origins, but the British (at least those in whose dialect initial h's are pronounced) did not start pronouncing the "h" till the late 19th century, when compulsory education meant that some pronunciations started to reflect spelling. But Americans retained the older pronunciation, and, since the roots of Canadian English are in American English, about 50% of us do too....
https://katherinebarber.blogspot.com/2012/10/herb-or-erb.html

--and any further discussions we can take to the Small Talk thread. 😉

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
(edited)

Hell yes Jennifer won!!!!

My dream final is Jennifer Quail / Mackenzie Jones / Jason Zuffranieri or Andy Wood.

Sorry to hear about Jennifer's embolism. I could relate to her though with JEOPARDY! in the hospital because I was in the hospital for two nights in February. Luckily I didn't have to watch on my phone, and the reasons for my admission to the hospital were physical manifestations of the stress and anxiety of the pandemic year.

Edited by theartandsound
  • Love 2

I vaguely recognized Jennifer (if she'd shown up on my doorstep, I'd have only got so far as "You look familiar"; I'd have never placed her as a J! champion out of context), so that makes two (Nibir is the other).

I ran the first round (thank you, Paul, for almost getting ricin, because until then I was not coming up with it), so I was really excited going into DJ, but it all went to hell in a hurry.  I didn't run a single category.  In fact, I only got one literary antagonist and one animal and missed two each in all the rest.  Ouch.  I did get FJ, thankfully. 

31 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I ran the first round (thank you, Paul, for almost getting ricin, because until then I was not coming up with it)

I was a bit surprised they didn’t give ricin to him. I thought it might have been a regional accent thing, similar to vancomycin (which many Americans pronounce vanco-MYa-cin). If he was asked to spell ricin, I feel like he would have spelled it correctly even if his pronunciation was off. 

I knew ricin because of Breaking Bad and other fictional uses of it as a poison   
—I think both Elementary and the original Arthur Conan Doyle Sherlock Holmes stories   
—which I assume the contestants would have realized if they had a few more nanoseconds to ponder   
—especially without their heads being filled with so many other possibilities. 

There’s probably a tipping point at which having too much information at the ready in one’s mind is a liability for playing Jeopardy and playing it well. 

• Love 1

I admit that geography is one of my weaker categories and I had no clue for FJ, but why was Israel not listed in the countries that border the Red Sea? I’ve visited Israel and while I was there I swam in the Red Sea when I was in Eilat! 🤔

9 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

I admit that geography is one of my weaker categories and I had no clue for FJ, but why was Israel not listed in the countries that border the Red Sea? 

I believe that part is technically the Gulf of Something, rather than the Red Sea proper.

• Useful 1
On 5/18/2021 at 11:00 PM, MooCat Pretzel said:

I really want to like Buzzy as the host because so many others do and I am a follower who easily succumbs to peer pressure. (Ha!) However, I don’t care for just how much he speeds the game up.  There is a balance to moving things along and letting the game soak in that I don’t think he’s mastered yet.  Two games in and it’s just been a bit frantic for me.

Buzzy is doing very well at acknowledging whether each response is correct or not. Other than Ken Jennings, the other guest hosts have been s-l-o-w in this area. But IMO, the reason the game is moving along so quickly is that every one of these contestants has appeared in a minimum of four Jeopardy! episodes. I know that Buzzy is only hosting the TOC over these two weeks, but had he been working with inexperienced contestants, I think the pace would be slower.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I admit that geography is one of my weaker categories and I had no clue for FJ, but why was Israel not listed in the countries that border the Red Sea? I’ve visited Israel and while I was there I swam in the Red Sea when I was in Eilat! 🤔

Southern Israel borders the Gulf of Aqaba, which is a long arm of the Red Sea, but not considered the actual sea itself.

• Useful 5
  • Love 1