Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

When it took three tries for a contestant (Amanda) to finally respond correctly to:

• "A History of the World in 6 Glasses" says this drink kept workers alert & was key to Britain's Industrial Revolution

with

• What is tea?

I was just as dumbfounded as Amanda was when she came from behind to win the game.

I cringed mightily when Bill couldn't resist opening the show with a prediction that Jeopardy would continue for many years to come. 
--because, you know, none of his predictions for individual episodes have come to pass thus far.

• Love 4

Night before last I did fairly well. I got Weekend Edition, Wisconsin, Solomon, but blanked on FJ. Last night was a little better. I came up with Fiddlers Three, Equifax, the Holland Tunnel and finally got a FJ. My grandies love Dr Suess. I have gotten them each a signed print of his work. They also love the cadence as I read it to them as little kids. Good memories. I could go on, but won’t. 

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, HelenBaby said:

I ran the opera category. Who knew that I would know anything about opera? 

I was surprised that I only missed the last clue.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, stonehaven said:

I cannot believe that he blanked on The Holland Tunnel. I have never been to NYC and only flown in to Newark but I've seen enough Law and Order to know Holland Tunnel...Really??????

I got it because of reading - most memorably when I spent time in it while reading "The Stand."  Plus the fact it sounded like someone's name.

13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

As for Chicago's Willis Tower, the glass Skydeck has cracked twice under tourists' feet as they stood in the all-glass outcropping 1,353 feet above the Chicago Loop, once in 2014 and again in 2019. Like everything, it has been closed since March 2020 or maybe there would have been more cracks. (Yeah, it's the glass covering that cracked but still, if you are standing on a sheet of glass with the rooftops of Chicago's tallest buildings below you and all of a sudden you see cracks under your feet, you don't nit pick.)

Glass decks/floors are a big NOPE to me. As they are to any animal with sense.. 😄 Did you read about the glass bridge in...China??...that stranded some guy when the glass broke or was blown off, I forget.

1 hour ago, HelenBaby said:

I was excited about running the category until Cos fan Tutti kicked me in the booty.

As for FJ, it never occurred to me that anyone would by their college (or high school) graduates a children's book for graduation, no matter the on point message.  I said Lorax, because I thought perhaps the environmental message in it might vaguely be connected to spring.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, ProudMary said:

When I saw the photo of Bo Diddley, I thought, "How can that possibly be a $2,000 clue?"
Then it turned out to be a TS. 😲

Make that a QS (Quadruple Stumper) because I didn't and still don't have a clue what Mr. Diddley looks/looked like. I suspect I am not alone on that.

11 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I got it because of reading - most memorably when I spent time in it while reading "The Stand." 

The scenes in The Stand that take place in the tunnel are engrained in my brain years after reading that book. But that it was the Holland Tunnel ... that part isn't included in my brain cells.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, HelenBaby said:

Heh! I almost ran opera too and anything I know about opera I learned on Jeopardy or from the NY Times crossword. 😄

When other folks complain about Bible knowledge, I want to pipe up and say: Okay. But what about opera? 
I know. Not the same. But Mom always disdained opera because it was "old fashioned" (same reason she refused to have an upright vacuum cleaner) so if Mom was going to have 1 bad category on Jeopardy, it would be opera, with Bible being her second worst.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

When it took three tries for a contestant (Amanda) to finally respond correctly to:

• "A History of the World in 6 Glasses" says this drink kept workers alert & was key to Britain's Industrial Revolution

with

• What is tea?

I was just as dumbfounded as Amanda was when she came from behind to win the game.

I have to say, I was thrown by the category having "glasses" in the title. Tea is usually served in cups, not glasses, so tea never came to mind. 

• Love 5
13 hours ago, ProudMary said:

When I saw the photo of Bo Diddley, I thought, "How can that possibly be a $2,000 clue?"
Then it turned out to be a TS. 😲

I'll admit, I never would have gotten it solely from the photo, but knowing the category I figured that's who it had to be.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Scott said:

I'll admit, I never would have gotten it solely from the photo, but knowing the category I figured that's who it had to be.

Good Jeopardy! logic. Be it Diddley or Jackson, a Bo was going to show up in that category. 

It wasn't even the image of Bo Diddley himself; it was the photo of his famous rectangular guitar that was the big giveaway. 

https://extrachill.com/2020/12/bo-diddley-twang-machine-guitar-history.html

• Love 4
7 hours ago, HelenBaby said:

Sometimes I'll wonder how I knew something.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, SHD said:

I have to say, I was thrown by the category having "glasses" in the title. Tea is usually served in cups, not glasses, so tea never came to mind. 

For those in the US, a mention of a harbor would bring tea to mind.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, SHD said:

Yeah, that threw me off, too. I've seen the book and if I could have remembered what was on the cover I probably would have gotten it. Just looked it up and it has a Coke bottle, a glass of wine, a tea pot, a mug of beer, a fancy liquor bottle, and a paper (Starbucks-type) coffee cup. So glass is apparently a broad category in this context.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

i said Jerusalem because I'm an idiot.

I got the ts of black prince, Nashville and lentils.

Not a great night for me.

I thought Hanoi because I'm left handed (yeah, that's why).
Not great for me either. 

Thank goodness Bill didn't do any further prognosticating. 

I appreciated the way Kristen bounced back from her DD loss. 

After each of Amanda's first 2 days of wins, she looked incredulous; this time it was more like: So. This is really happening.

• Love 1
(edited)

Add me to our group here commemorating and celebrating the KIT CARSON shout out. That never fails to get me pumped. I'm proud to be a member of the Kit Carson Brotherhood.

It's been a while, I still have my dance costume from the Kit Carson Before Your Time All-Star Jeopardy Orchestra featuring the Good For You Rhythm Section and the Women Authors Singers. With the No Boo Hiss Players and the Alber Camoo Dancers. And it still fits!

Finally, a category for my favorite state. I left my heart in Montana once.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 10
  • Love 2
(edited)

Kit!  It's been a while since we've seen our mascot.

@Katy M, if it makes you feel any better, I said Jerusalem, too.  Turkey never crossed my mind.

TS I got include protein, lupines, Nashville (from the photo!), and Cape Buffalo.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 3

Heh, Kit Carson.

The Nashville TS surprised me.  I would never have known the bird on its own, but a [City] Warbler that would be a great nickname for a country singer made it a pretty solid guess.

I was off to a bad start, missing all but one in Pop Culture.  Thankfully, I ran the rest of the first round.

In DJ, I only got one in Movie Mashups.  I did not, however, stop there and run the rest of the round.  In fact, the only category I ran was Supreme Court Decisions.  I missed eight across the remaining categories.

I did get FJ, though.

• Love 1

Even if I had any knowledge of countries and capitals, I still would have had problems with the easternmost/westernmost places in Europe/Asia/Africa. In my mind eastern = nearest the Atlantic Ocean and western = nearest the Pacific Ocean, and I have a hard time overriding that. 

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Even if I had any knowledge of countries and capitals, I still would have had problems with the easternmost/westernmost places in Europe/Asia/Africa. In my mind eastern = nearest the Atlantic Ocean and western = nearest the Pacific Ocean, and I have a hard time overriding that. 

You're doing better than me: going north means following my finger pointing up, south pointing it down, etc.  And then going round in circles down the drainhole.

• LOL 2

When the mention of Kit Carson came up I had a happy moment with a small whoop and a side eye from the person I was playing with. 😂

I did come up with a few of the TSs, but not FJ. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, Leeds said:

You're doing better than me: going north means following my finger pointing up, south pointing it down, etc.  And then going round in circles down the drainhole.

If you're in Australia, going the other way around the drain hole. 

If I was a bird and flying south for the winter I'd end up in Greenland.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Katy M said:

I said Tennessee and then realized they wanted the city. I consider it a learning experience even if I don't get a lot of questions, because I still now know something I didn't before.

• Love 3
(edited)

15 hours ago, Katy M said:

Not as much of one as me, not only did I have the wrong side of the continent - but I actually lived in Turkey as a military brat and the capital is well known to me (as is some of the history).

23 hours ago, SHD said:

Thanks to Jodi Taylor, I usually think of tea when it comes to any beverage related to Britain. Had a momentary pause with "glass", but the quote below came to mind. I could have selected a t-shirt for the image, but I thought a mug was more on point.

tea.jpg

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 5/14/2021 at 12:01 AM, shapeshifter said:

"A History of the World in 6 Glasses" says this drink kept workers alert & was key to Britain's Industrial Revolution

22 hours ago, SHD said:

I have to say, I was thrown by the category having "glasses" in the title. Tea is usually served in cups, not glasses, so tea never came to mind

“Glasses”?  🧐 🤓 ?   🍹🥂 !   😲
This was the one time when my panic-speed reading through the clue was helpful rather than harmful. 😆

Edited by shapeshifter
The "expand" settings aren't adjusted to work with quotes within quotes, no matter how short
  • Love 2
38 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Well of you think the willis tower glass observation deck is scary.....

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/summit-one-vanderbilt-glass-elevator/index.html

Um, no thank you. I've been to the top of the Empire State Building but I think the glass floor is a dealbreaker. My parents used to work at Bell Labs and they had a glass-walled elevator (but not the floor). That freaked me out sometimes and the building was only 6 floors.

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Um, no thank you. I've been to the top of the Empire State Building but I think the glass floor is a dealbreaker. My parents used to work at Bell Labs and they had a glass-walled elevator (but not the floor). That freaked me out sometimes and the building was only 6 floors.

I agree with you. Glass floors are a big NO in my book. Though I don't mind glass walled elevators - as long as there's solid steel under my feet. Elevators themselves tend to stress me out a little bit - I'm a touch claustrophobic so the glass walls actually help a bit.

• Love 3

There was a "Bennifer" clue! Certainly filmed before the Affleck/Lopez reunion rumors began to swirl in the past week or so. Does the Jeopardy curse count for relationships? 😄

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I agree with you. Glass floors are a big NO in my book. Though I don't mind glass walled elevators - as long as there's solid steel under my feet. Elevators themselves tend to stress me out a little bit - I'm a touch claustrophobic so the glass walls actually help a bit.

I find your touch claustrophobia interesting. I won't get into a full elevator and will take the stairs (stares, ha).  I don't mind flying (no phobia there) but being so close to so many people freaks me out. The pandemic has not helped this aversion. What you said about glass wall may be the reason I like to sit near windows.

• Love 1
(edited)
29 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

There was a "Bennifer" clue! Certainly filmed before the Affleck/Lopez reunion rumors began to swirl in the past week or so. Does the Jeopardy curse count for relationships? 😄

Never mind, my bad.

Edited by nokat
2 hours ago, nokat said:

I find your touch claustrophobia interesting. I won't get into a full elevator and will take the stairs (stares, ha).  I don't mind flying (no phobia there) but being so close to so many people freaks me out. The pandemic has not helped this aversion. What you said about glass wall may be the reason I like to sit near windows.

Didn't know I had it until I was getting an MRI. NOT the time to find out. Then all my previous behavior (like where I like to sit - aisle seats always - made sense.

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Didn't know I had it until I was getting an MRI. NOT the time to find out. Then all my previous behavior (like where I like to sit - aisle seats always - made sense.

I don't find aisle seats comfortable.

I had an MRI and if you're in any way claustrophobic that would be horrible. I went head first into a noisy tube with a panic button.

• Love 1

J: Not terrible, 70%. Ran A Place in the Bible (somehow…), missed only one each in Stocks, Film Quotes, and Fowl Language, and missed all but one in American History, and that one was a total guess (Black Hills). Got TS of Galilee and Hen's teeth.

DJ: Holy crap, worst DJ ever! 33%! 😭 Got 2 Emotions, 3 Essays, and only 1 each in every other category; no TS (though I probably would have gotten Rachel Carson if I'd had a few more seconds; I thought of Silent Spring but didn't get to her name in time) and one DD (Dorothy Parker).

FJ: I got nuthin'. Barely over half correct for the game (51%).

I don't remember Sarah; Ryan is sorta familiar, but I was rooting for Jason; I always liked him. Oh, well. Maybe 18K will be enough for a wild card.

I'm not hating Buzzy as host...

• Love 5

I had no idea for FJ.  I said Seneca knowing it was wrong, but disliking notanswering at all.

the only ts I got was chicken feed.

I did OK in the first round, but I totally flubbed the second.  I did manage to get at least one right in each category

36 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Got TS of Galilee and Hen's teeth.

I did too. I guess "scarce as hen's teeth" hasn't been used in the last few decades?

How did Sarah manage to confuse scifi writer Ursula LeGuinn with nature writer Rachel Carson? 

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I did OK in the first round, but I totally flubbed the second.  I did manage to get at least one right in each category

Glad I wasn't the only one, at least..!

I thought Buzzy did a great job with the tempo of the game, which has been my only real complaint with the other guest hosts not named Ken Jennings. Of course, Buzzy's helped by having contestants who are used to the game.

• Love 11

I didn't get to watch, as I'm on vacation! but I checked the archive for FJ -- and I did not get FJ.  I had absolutely no idea.  Not even a guess.  Maybe tomorrow will be better!

I probably won't get to watch until Thursday maybe -- depends on how long it takes me to get home.  There was a LOT of construction between Hampton Roads and Chincoteague.  I thought I'd never get here!  But I went out to the ocean and just stood and watched the waves for a while once I did get here.  It was lovely and relaxing.

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

How did Sarah manage to confuse scifi writer Ursula LeGuinn with nature writer Rachel Carson? 

I suppose when you're thinking "woman + science + writer" you don't always distinguish between a science fiction author and a nature author. That was a cringeworthy moment, though. I was rooting for Sarah to come through in FJ and was saddened when she not only was the only one of the three to miss it but bet the whole bundle.

My call to appear on the show came through the day of my mother's funeral, so I really felt Sarah's story about her own mom and her mom's scarf. I wonder if her mom made the scarf or if it just belonged to her.

I got an unpleasantly arrogant vibe from Ryan and I'm hoping he doesn't win the whole thing.

Buzzy is a good host.

• Love 13