Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Discussion

Sakura12
  • Start Topic

Hated the first episode. Am about halfway through the second and am warming up to it a bit, maybe because the second episode reverts more to your typical Brit/Euro type of detective show.

It looks like there could be a drinking game around the number of times Wallander takes his shirt off.

Seems a bit of a cynical ploy to attract viewers to connect this to Wallander at all.

• Useful 1

from Decider

Pålsson tries his hardest to show Wallander as a guy who is loyal and honest, and has some pretty advanced observational skills, especially for someone so young. We know that he tries to get the local gang leader on his side, despite the fact that now he’s been outed as a cop; he knows that Ibra didn’t do this, and that something bigger is afoot. Young Wallander is supposed to be plowing forward in this case in spite of his guilt over not saving the teen that was blown up. But for right now, we just see Wallander as a young go-getter, with no sign at all that he feels any guilt or has suffered any trauma at all from the incident. Everyone tells him that it’s OK to feel the way he’s feeling or to take it easy, but there’s no real sign yet that seeing this kid get blown to bits has affected him in any way.

Yep, let the drinking games begin

5322.jpg

I think this show would work better if it wasn't Wallander related and thus had not set the bar too high for itself.

Because I did find the story interesting but the actor playing Wallander somewhat impassionate whenever exciting things happened. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 9/6/2020 at 5:52 AM, Aliferously said:

Because I did find the story interesting but the actor playing Wallander somewhat impassionate whenever exciting things happened.

Wallander was always a reserved, stoic character so the actor's choices work for me.

I'm more bothered that everything is set in present day.  I was looking forward to a period piece set in 60s-70s Malmo.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 3
On 9/23/2020 at 7:23 PM, sugarbaker design said:

I'm more bothered that everything is set in present day.  I was looking forward to a period piece set in 60s-70s Malmo.

THIS! I like the choices the actor playing Wallandar is making.  It helps that he's hot in an awkward way. 

I hope they make a lot of these.

• Love 1

When I heard that Netflix was airing this I was so excited.  I read all the Wallander novels as they were published here in the US during the 90s and 00s.  I loved Mankell's crisp prose, complex plots and most of all, his melancholy Swede Wallander.  I knew a TV show could never match Mankell's novels, but nonetheless I was looking forward to watching Young Wallander.

If Kurt was in his 30's in the early 90s, YW must surely be set in the 70s, right?  Nope, it's inexplicably set in present day.  That was a sorely missed opportunity to make this a totally unique experience.

I heard Kurt was being played by a young Swedish actor - Adam Palsson.  I enjoyed Kenneth Branagh's Wallander, but I was looking forward to seeing Wallander played by an actual Swede.  You can imagine my dismay when I realized Wallander was not only speaking English, but every other actor was a Brit.  Another missed opportunity that leaves me scratching my head.

What's left is a humdrum cop drama.  I enjoyed Palsson's thoughtful performance, he captured the stoic staid Wallander of the novels.  

While I was watching this I was recording a show on my local PBS station called Before We Die, and guess what?  It's an honest to goodness Swedish cop drama in the Swedish language with Swedish actors - including Adam Palsson!

My favorite scene was towards the end of this episode when YW is waking away from the service for his superior officer.  A visual of a long blue line of police officers with YW walking away out of uniform.  A loner to the end.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, bannana said:

It seems to me that Gustav would want his brother arrested but we never even see his reaction.

Since Gustav got off scot-free, I don't think this particular story has ended.

41 minutes ago, bannana said:

Was this ending to set up a season 2?

I like a villain to get his/her comeuppance, so I hope so.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Since Gustav got off scot-free, I don't think this particular story has ended.

I like a villain to get his/her comeuppance, so I hope so.

Ahh, It turns out that there will be a Season 2. In spite of the fact it is set in the wrong decade and it's not Swedish, I did like the series so want to see where they will take it next.

Yes, I want to see Karl-Asshole get his!

• Love 1

Episode description:  Kurt investigates a mysterious, grisly death that seems to an incendiary national news story that was one of Rask's first cases in Malmo.

This is the first of a six part series.  I'm all in because I live Mankell's novels.  I still can't get over a show set in Sweden that except for the lead, is cast with UK actors.