Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E08: You Can Get Out of This!

• Start Topic

Christina wants a "love at first sight" type of situation.  Those situations are rare.   She wants a man who will look at her, fall in love.  The End.

The problem is this, if a man can look at YOU and fall so fast, he might be capable of falling for another woman just as quickly.

She has no patience for Henry.  When I was younger, I'd be just like Christina, "WTF is wrong with you!" would be how I'd feel.  Now that I'm older, I can see the good in someone like Henry.

• Love 16
14 hours ago, CSunshine76 said:

I think it’s selfish of Amelia to try out for this show knowing she most likely has to relocate weeks after the wedding. That’s completely unfair to anyone! Did she assume her mate would follow her or they’d do long distance? 

I think it's crap that they are making it sound like Amelia is going to get a blind letter telling her she is being assigned residency in some random place. The way the match works is you rank your choices of where you'd like to go and the computer searches through what is available everywhere and matches you with one place which is where you will go. She knows what areas she ranked and will get one of them. This secrecy is all producer driven drama.

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
29 minutes ago, Kdawg82 said:

Henry is implying she's got a pretty shi**y personality.  Period.

Yeah. Someone on here said Henry says "impatient" when he means "rude," and I think that's right - I think he thinks she's an asshole, point blank. "Impatient" is the less aggressive word; "you could stand to be more patient" is milder than "don't be such an asshole," but the latter is what he means. That's why he doesn't initiate affection - he doesn't like her, so he doesn't want to be physical with her.

16 minutes ago, Stinamaia said:

“On my god. This bedspread is awful. Now I have to take it back and get a new one.  And the groceries? He didn’t even buy what we needed.  Now I have to go and do it over.  I’m carrying the whole load. I have to do everything.”

Yep. There is zero chance she would approve of the stuff he brought into the apartment. If they were on House Hunters, she'd be the one who was all "I have the better taste so we should buy the house I like." Also, she didn't get butter or foil? Those are staples!

And she has a lot of nerve coming at Henry's small studio ("Henry lives in a tiny house!") when she apparently doesn't live anywhere.

14 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I think Karen is a woman who believes that all men are dogs.  In order for her to reinforce that belief, she dates men who are dogs and reinforce her theory.  Miles doesn't act doggish and Karen doesn't know what to do with him.  

I wish I was at Woody and Amani's party!

That party looked like fun! Amani is a really warm person, you can tell. 

And I completely agree about Karen. I think she's very scarred from her last relationship and is still in a "men ain't shit" mindset. She keeps waiting for Miles to do some ain't-shit shit and he hasn't, and because she thinks men ain't shit, she thinks he's not being genuine even though everyone in Miles' life has told her straight up that this is who he is. It's a catch-22 because Karen is really not that nice to Miles - she picks at him over dumb stuff (the bed-making - I don't think she was kidding about that), she doesn't show him much affection. I would get tired of being the only one who does and says nice things for the other. (Even Karen's friend was like "What are you doing to make her life easier?" and he listed all these tangible things, and like, what is Miles getting out of the deal?) But if Miles gets fed up and leaves*, it'll feed into her "men ain't shit" idea - "See? He left, just like the rest of them."

*I don't think he's going anywhere.

I loved the sweater Karen had on when she met up with the rest of the women.

1 minute ago, configdotsys said:

I think it's crap that they are making it sound like Amelia is going to get a blind letter telling her she is being assigned residency in some random place. The way the match works is you rank your choices of where you'd like to go and the computer searches through what is available everywhere and matches you with one place which is where you will go. She knows what areas she ranked and will get one of them. This secrecy is all producer driven drama.

I don't think they're making it sound like that - they've just painted it as a possibility that her residency will take her away from New Orleans. For all we know she's told Bennett "I applied in New Orleans, Charleston, and Nashville" or whatever. She may have applied in New Orleans but it's clearly possible that she may not end up there - it may not even be her first choice.

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 12
1 minute ago, Neurochick said:

She has no patience for Henry.  When I was younger, I'd be just like Christina, "WTF is wrong with you!" would be how I'd feel.  Now that I'm older, I can see the good in someone like Henry.

Henry is a good guy, but why did they pair him with Christina?  Where is the fit?  She's a world traveler (according to her) and he seems to have only been to his brother's house in another state.  From what she's said about herself, she's no stranger to sex, yet I've wondered since day one if Henry isn't still a virgin.  She's extroverted and doesn't mince words.  He's extremely shy and can barely carry on a conversation.  

• Love 4
3 hours ago, JapMo said:

Henry is a good guy, but why did they pair him with Christina?  Where is the fit?  She's a world traveler (according to her) and he seems to have only been to his brother's house in another state.  From what she's said about herself, she's no stranger to sex, yet I've wondered since day one if Henry isn't still a virgin.  She's extroverted and doesn't mince words.  He's extremely shy and can barely carry on a conversation.  

• The show wants:
  • 1 or 2 couples who have a good chance of making it.
  • 1 or 2 couples on the fence.
  • 1 or 2 couples who will be absolute train wrecks.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 17
5 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Yeah. Someone on here said Henry says "impatient" when he means "rude," and I think that's right - I think he thinks she's an asshole, point blank. "Impatient" is the less aggressive word; "you could stand to be more patient" is milder than "don't be such an asshole," but the latter is what he means. That's why he doesn't initiate affection - he doesn't like her, so he doesn't want to be physical with her.

Yep. There is zero chance she would approve of the stuff he brought into the apartment. If they were on House Hunters, she'd be the one who was all "I have the better taste so we should buy the house I like." Also, she didn't get butter or foil? Those are staples!

And she has a lot of nerve coming at Henry's small studio ("Henry lives in a tiny house!") when she apparently doesn't live anywhere.

That party looked like fun! Amani is a really warm person, you can tell. 

And I completely agree about Karen. I think she's very scarred from her last relationship and is still in a "men ain't shit" mindset. She keeps waiting for Miles to do some ain't-shit shit and he hasn't, and because she thinks men ain't shit, she thinks he's not being genuine even though everyone in Miles' life has told her straight up that this is who he is. It's a catch-22 because Karen is really not that nice to Miles - she picks at him over dumb stuff (the bed-making - I don't think she was kidding about that), she doesn't show him much affection. I would get tired of being the only one who does and says nice things for the other. But if Miles gets fed up and leaves*, it'll feed into her "men ain't shit" idea - "See? He left, just like the rest of them."

*I don't think he's going anywhere.

Henry and Christina are horrible for each other. A good partner brings out the best in you and the wrong person can bring out the worst. Christina is naturally a little rude and Henry is extremely quiet.  He clams up around her and she gets more and more nasty in frustration.

I still think Karen is just not attracted to Miles. The funny thing is if she divorces Miles, she still might want to be friends with Amani and Woody (who wouldn't want to hang around those two...great example of a couple that compliment each other well) and hang out. This would get awkward if she chooses to divorce Miles, since Woody and Miles are best friends.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I still think Karen is just not attracted to Miles.

She wanted so bad to say just that to Rev Cal last week, but she doesn't want to hurt Miles.  I just don't think she's going to ever warm up to him in a sexual way, but it wouldn't surprise me if after 8 weeks her decision will be to stay married.  She likes Amani and Woody so much that their friendship might be a big factor in her temporarily staying married to Miles.

• Love 7

Can you blame her? If she honestly wanted to be on the show to find a match and then wound up with Henry (perhaps the poorest casting decision ever on this show...unless it was done on purpose to create conflict)...I don't blame her one bit. 

I do blame ChristinA if she taking her anger at Production out at Henry. He didn't match himself with her. From what we have seen of her behavior toward Production, she's rude and abrasive. I'd be embarrassed to be married to her too.

Some people don't match, though and then they have to scramble - both in terms of geography and specialty. Amelia may want to be a family practice doctor in Louisiana but she could end up having to be an internal medicine doctor in Alaska.

Between the sweater and her hair, I thought she looked stunning. I really do think that she is beautiful. I'm also terribly curious about what she does. Her job title is stated as "Project Manager" and her friend said that she works in the medical field. I wonder if she manages research grants (all the documentation and reporting required)? I also thought she was cute smacking Miles's hand away from the shrimp.

• Love 7

I just do not understand the vitriol for Henry. Most of the people who sign up for this show shouldn't sign up. His issues are so much less than some of the other MF's who signed on for exposure & messed with someone's head, lying, cheating, gaslighting - we've seen some friggin' doozies! Henry seems like he's actually a decent guy stuck with a self-important-big-ass-rude-as-hell-horny-bully. ChristinA's defensive as hell because she feels she can do no wrong but in the meantime is being nasty to those around her just doing their jobs -& this says a lot about her in general as there's no excuse for that & it should turn anyone off. Brandon got absolute hell for that on the boards; somehow she gets a pass because Henry is quiet. Geez. If she's this bad during the episode I can't imagine what Henry is dealing with sans cameras. I was actually trying to give ChristinA the benefit of the doubt up to now, but after this last episode I just think she's a fucking bitch & would be sabotaging any marriage they put her into. No one will be good enough for Miss Perfect Queen Diva ChristineA. 👑 I really hope they both cut each other loose before decision day, or he just walks out on her. He'll be even more demonized but it'll be good for him & she needs to fall off her throne, hard.

Whew, that felt good. 😏

• LOL 2
  • Love 14

Can't wait for the Unfiltered couch next week with Henry, Miles and Woody sharing the cushions and the reactions of the guys seeing how Henry and the crew is mis treated by XTina and if there is cast backlash...you know the other producers and camera crews already know 

Edited by humbleopinion
13 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

I forgot about the time change .. sorry.

@Silver Bells, don't apologize! I was seriously thanking you for your comments. I always read this board before the show starts so I know if I want to even watch it.

I watched part of the last half last night, and between the endless commercials and the fake producer games and lack of anything actually really happening, this seems to be a very long drawn out season. Having two hours to fill is just too much time for them to have to come up with interesting things. Which is sad, considering they have 5 couples and they can't come up with anything better than what we are shown.

From what I did see, it is so obvious that the producers hate ChristinA. I understand that she is completely frustrated by her spouse, but I think her personality and expectations have a lot to do with it. I wonder who she would have been happy with? And the comments to the producers really show who she is. I like Henry and believe him when she said she never thanked him for the dinners. I can't imagine how quiet they must have been with no one there tom make them talk!

I am glad that Miles' sister told Karen that her brother was being genuine so Karen can cross that off her list of excuses and stop waiting for him to be a jerk. I hope that she does lighten up and get real with herself and Miles. I don't want to see Miles end up in a relationship where he is constantly courting his wife, who seems to give so little of herself. I couldn't believe I when Karen said they hadn't even kissed yet. That is crazy! Poor Miles. That little peck at the party doesn't count and is just sad that she had to be dared to kiss her husband.

I agree with those of you who say that Bennett will go anywhere Amelia has to move. He is in it for the duration and she is his wife. Too bad that his little friend didn't let him know her feelings before he got married, because she is not going to get him. And, I am sure that Bennett has no clue she has those feelings.

It looked genuinely happy at the Woody/Amani party and that's great. His friends seemed to be shocked that he went from party boy to husband so quickly, but they saw the change.

I wonder if they will have that half-way part in this show to see if anyone wants out. What did they call it last season - recommitment? 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Starlight925 said:

Not once did he offer to go to a nice dinner, or plan a nice trip, or go to a concert....nada.  The compromise was all one-sided.

There are lots of things they could do together that wouldn't cost much - going to a local open mike or comedy night at a bar, a board game night at a local game store (I had incredible fun playing Cards Against Humanity with a group of strangers in NYC once), visiting a museum or gallery, working out together (didn't they both say that was a priority for them in life?), showing each other their favourite hidden corners of the city, etc. Those are the sorts of things where you get to learn about the other person and have fun at the same time (hopefully). But I suspect Olivia's idea of a good evening out involves an expensive dinner or theatre tickets, something that costs a lot of money. Still, I sense her frustration if all Brett wants to do is sit in the bedroom hanging out with the cats.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Brett is walking into a trap...His earnestness about living within his means will be used against him as he will come off as a tight-fisted skinflint Scrooge.
Olivia is using Brett’s penny pinching as a convenient excuse for Failure of their marriage and she is mourning the death of her fairytale ending to her MAFS experience.

Brett is not showing her any heat, no sexual interest....Aunt Olivia, want me to cut your steak into small bites?

They are performing for the cameras and are as fake as Hen and Tina.

2 forks please...2 couples are DONE.

Penny pinching is a more serious issue than desire vs. no desire to start family? Pretty sure they both had their "out" a while ago.

Edited by LaLaLaLa
Clarification
  • Love 6

The best so far this episode were:

Bennet: "I have no business playing this game."🤣

Brett friend: "QVC still exists??" (Me: LoL i know, right?) 

Woody: What I'm getting is that Henry's wife just wants him to lay it down on her  (whichever way he phrased it) 🤣. Woody just says what comes to his mind which I usually think is funny and it's refreshing honesty.  Can turn to him and bite him in the ass at times but I'm there for it. I enjoyed the "never have I ever/put a finger down" game ans felt the laughter in the room at their housewarming party. 

I like Amani's voice.  It sounds like a smoker's rasp a little which I've always loved. I doubt she smokes but I used to smoke and said I'd smoke long enough to sound sultry.  I quit though after 10 yrs bc obviously 🙄

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
22 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I don't know - she recommended the zoo...

Did someone here say Olivia told Brett the zoo was "free"?  If she did that's not true of any zoo we've ever visited (& it's been several). They have to feed & care for the animals with something.

I like Woody/Amani so far but it seems almost too smooth, so hopefully there isn't some big ass ball waiting to drop there.

On Unfiltered, which is mostly just so boring, Karen is very pretty but way overdressed.  And granted I don't understand or give a damn about fashion but I just can't with Woody & that pink suit, sorry but holy crap!  Then Bennett says he "doesn't have that kind of energy" - to put into fashion - but he somehow does have enough energy to dress like a half rate clown. Maybe he saves energy by his lack of attention to hygiene. Nice guy but whenever he & Amelia are on I can practically smell them through the TV, especially Bennett & those feet. 🤢

Those adolescent party games, just, OMG. 🙄

Edited by gonecrackers
referenced wrong person
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, essexjan said:

But I suspect Olivia's idea of a good evening out involves an expensive dinner or theatre tickets, something that costs a lot of money.

33 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

I don't know - she recommended the zoo...

And during the Matchmaking episode she said she enjoyed bar trivia.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, gingerandcloves said:

I'm still watching the episode, but Woody and Amani are too adorable. I need a framed photo of them to put on my piano.

They are so cute. And I never thought I'd say it but I could take a LOT more Bennett and Amelia. As a matter of fact, if the show was mainly these two couples with a little of Miles getting actual affection from his wife, Karen showcasing her fashion and Henry's dry humor I'd be content. The only thing I need to see of Olivia and Brett are their cats. No ChristinA at all. Thanks.

• Love 7

Armani/Woody, Amelia and Bennett are so cute. Karen is taking baby steps. I think she and Miles will make it. Brett Pastor Cal isn't the issue in your marriage. The real issues in your marriage are communication and lack of compromise. 

Christina is out here trying to be the low key AJ and Brandon of this season. I'm glad Henry called her out on her rudeness. He's becoming frustrated with her and it's starting to show.  Henry’s most likely the type of person who suppresses his frustration until something causes him to explode. In this case it was Christina trying to act like she's the only one carrying the marriage while being rude to production. 

* Edited to add*:  Friend of Bennett he's not married to you therefore you don't get a say in whether or not he can relocate with HIS wife. Have several seats with your jealous self.

Edited by spunky
  • Love 8

Christina is exhausting! 

This is the first episode where I haven't gotten Nate from Chicago vibes from Woody. The way he was talking in his talking head after the conversation between the guys at the bar was refreshingly mature. And seeing he and Amani interact at the party seemed very genuine. I'm relieved, because I wanted to like him but I was getting those Nate vibes for so long. 

Bennet and Amelia continue to be adorable. 

I laughed at Brett's conversation with his friend where he straight up told him the Pastor Cal came in to stir up drama. Hilarious! Even more funny that the producers kept that in! His friend was right though, trying to get him to see that experiences can sometimes be more fun that "watching your net worth grow". As a non-numbers person, that made me sad. 

Edited by sara416
I had more thoughts
  • Love 9

Karen looked stunning at the ladies' meet up. Loved her hair and her sweater. Glad she is finally showing some affection to Miles. He seems like such a nice guy, and he's been really patient with her.

Henry...oh, dear. I think he is not attracted to ChristinA, but worse than that, her personality is a complete turn-off for him. In the meantime, she can't figure out why he hasn't made a move, and why he isn't smitten with her. I'm glad that he spoke up a little and mentioned her impatience but he needs  to be a lot more direct. He's such a bump on a log. I think he could be more lively around a different bunch of people, but he seems in over his head with this whole situation. And they ARE at a standstill - neither one of them wants to take the lead. They need some counseling STAT.

It was nice to see Olivia and Brett getting along better, and working on the budget. Maybe they can figure out a way to compromise on the whole money thing. I don't sense any sexual chemistry or intimacy for them. They're almost as far down the ladder as H&C for me, and I don't picture them climbing up it.

Bennett and Amelia continue to rock MAFS. I like their realness and how laidback they are. It's a refreshing change from all the "I don't know you, you're a stranger, maybe in 8 weeks I'll see if I can kiss you" stuff we're used to seeing on this show. They really know how to go with the flow.

Woody and Amani surprised themselves by how well they're meshing. Super nice to see another couple figuring things out right away.

Nice of Dr. Viviana to make a 5 second cameo this episode 🙄

• Love 6
15 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

This was another massive fail on the part of the experts but Henry should have never applied for this type of thing in the first place. He seems to have some female friends who could have set him up with someone more compatible. 

His female friends want him to remain single and available to be their guy friend.  Henry needs to hit reset.  Move to a new city and make better friends.

8 hours ago, azprimadonna said:

I can't forget that Christina is a flight attendant, who is too junior to get the good routes or first class assignments.  Maybe her secret is that she has lost her job?  (tries not to trash rude flight attendants)  Henry needs a woman who needs him, like his friend did.  Maybe secretly Christina is really needy?? I feel like the older couple at the party may be her aunt and uncle.  I think it was mentioned somewhere that she stays with them when she is in New Orleans.

If she was still employed during filming, I doubt she is anymore.  The Covid layoffs are hitting airlines hard.  She'll be fer reals homeless in a few more months.

6 hours ago, essexjan said:

From Brett's standpoint, taking steps in your 30s to make sure you're going to be financially secure in retirement, with your own property that's free and clear and a good pension, is sensible.

Brett needs to better articulate why he's saving, and not just retirement.  If he said he's saving for a better house or for private education for future kids or for buying investment property or even for several larger dream vacations, he would have a better case.  There's nothing wrong with saving for its own sake, but having a plan makes it easier for someone else to get onboard.

Wasn't Brett a "serial dater"?  What were those dates like?  Let's hit the gym and come home for a post-workout workout, baby!

Edited by Jack Sampson
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Cancun said:

And to those who are saying ChristinA’s rudeness came out of frustration over Henry, let us all remember her rude behavior to production BEFORE she even met Henry, before she went down the aisle. ChristinA is a stand-alone pain in the ass, she doesn’t need Henry in order to put it on full display.

You're right.  I had forgotten how nasty Christina was on day one.  She snapped at the producers before walking down the aisle.  

2 hours ago, Retired at last said:

From what I did see, it is so obvious that the producers hate ChristinA. I understand that she is completely frustrated by her spouse, but I think her personality and expectations have a lot to do with it. I wonder who she would have been happy with? And the comments to the producers really show who she is. I like Henry and believe him when she said she never thanked him for the dinners. I can't imagine how quiet they must have been with no one there tom make them talk!

Was Christina the one who said her ideas about relationships and marriage came from the movies?  If she's the one, that explains a lot about her.  She's waiting for Prince Charming who lives in a McMansion and drives a Tesla.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
5 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

You're right.  I had forgotten how nasty Christina was on day one.  She snapped at the producers before walking down the aisle.  

Was she also the one that was overly dramatic & snippy during the wedding dress purchase episode? It was either her or Olivia— whoever it was, it was irritating and a red flag as far as I was concerned).

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Booger666 said:

I’m on team Henry.  Yes, he is quiet and very slow to warm up.  But, I wonder how he would've done if he had been paired with Kate (Luke), Meka (Michael), Deonna (Greg), or Stephanie (I forget his name).  All women more outgoing than him and basically kind.  Perhaps he would’ve blossomed and come out of his shell.  Instead he was matched with someone who is more outgoing and rude.  He can’t take the rudeness and it seems to be making him tense and shutdown.  I hope if they are given the opportunity to end it early they do.  This relationship is toxic for both of them.

Then Henry should’ve continued to date on his own—or hire a professional matchmaker. I know she isn’t perfect, but I’m Team Christina all the way. Henry shouldn’t have applied to be on thIs show if he wasn’t willing (or able) to open himself up to a stranger in a short period of time to at least try to make things work. I felt the same way about Jepthe, Deonna, and the basketball player (Matt?). And when the first two did start to open up some—with a lot of help from the experts—their marriages began to blossom. 

Maybe Henry isn’t attracted to Christina, which if fine—it’s how he feels. Then he should A) be honest with her and leave, like the personal trainer from last season, or he could B) try. Like Jamie Otis did. But no, he just sits there like a bump on a log, refusing to make eye contact or engage in normal conversation with her. I feel the same way about Karen. Make an effort or leave poor Miles alone. 

4 hours ago, Neurochick said:

To me it looks like the producers come over to film them.  Henry just sits there and doesn't engage, so Christina feels she has to do everything.   I feel that Henry uses his "issues" to push people away, to not engage.  But that might be only on the surface.

If Henry met a woman organically, she'd see how he was and either decide to pass early or go for it.  With a man like Henry, you need patience, it's like coaxing a cat from underneath the bed.  Christina seems too impatient for a man like Henry AND this SHOW isn't for someone like Henry because they only have a short amount of time before decision day.

I think Karen is a woman who believes that all men are dogs.  In order for her to reinforce that belief, she dates men who are dogs and reinforce her theory.  Miles doesn't act doggish and Karen doesn't know what to do with him.  

I wish I was at Woody and Amani's party!

I thought Christina was very patient at the start of their honeymoon. I think it bothered her that Henry wasn’t affectionate, didn’t make conversation, and never made suggestions about things they could do together. So she took the lead and kept saying she was hoping Henry would get more comfortable stepping outside of his comfort zone.  Well, he didn’t, and now she’s frustrated and pissy.

If Miles suddenly got tired of being nice to Karen, I don’t think people would criticize him as much—they’d be more understanding of his frustration. I think people are harder on Christina because she’s a woman, and we’re always expected to be the ones to nurture and compromise.   

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
5 minutes ago, topanga said:

I thought Christina was very patient at the start of their honeymoon. I think it bothered her that Henry wasn’t affectionate, didn’t make conversation, and never made suggestions about things they could do together. So she took the lead and kept saying she was hoping Henry would get more comfortable stepping outside of his comfort zone.  Well, he didn’t, and now she’s frustrated and pissy.

If Miles suddenly got tired of being nice to Karen, I don’t think people would criticize him as much—they’d be more understanding of his frustration. I think people are harder on Christina because she’s a woman, and we’re always expected to be the ones to nurture and compromise.   

Though I do agree with you, that women are always expected to compromise.   I was just reminded that Christina was nasty to production on day one.  She also said to one of the producers, "It's ChristiNA."  Nothing wrong with correcting someone if they mispronounce your name, but she came across very nasty and dismissive.  It wasn't what she said, it was the way she said it.  The producers and camera people are just working stiffs.

• Love 15
4 hours ago, LaLaLaLa said:

Each week the hatred for Brett increases on this forum. I don't get it. What has he done that is so egregious outside of the two of them being SO different?

Long live Brett (and, no, I'm not a member of Brett's family)

Brett's a pretty sarcastic guy.   Some people find that funny (me) but a lot of people take his sarcasm as azz-hattery 🙂

I think both he and Olivia are good people but not good for each other.  Both have some insecurities they need to work on, and both are too stubborn to let each other's strengths/weaknesses compliment the other.  

• Love 14
22 minutes ago, gingerandcloves said:

It was nice to see Olivia and Brett getting along better, and working on the budget. Maybe they can figure out a way to compromise on the whole money thing. I don't sense any sexual chemistry or intimacy for them. They're almost as far down the ladder as H&C for me, and I don't picture them climbing up it.

I am a person for whom saving is important because my emergency fund is what got me through an emergency. I could not be with someone who didn't save at all (not saying that Olivia doesn't save) because it would stress me out too much. Anything can happen; we are in the second major recession in less than 15 years. It's never a bad idea to have money socked away.

HOWEVER. I was with Olivia when she said she didn't get married to sit at home with her cats - she rightly pointed out that that was what she did when she was single. If Brett can go out and shoot the shit with his guy friend (though that was probably production's idea), he and Olivia can go get a drink somewhere. Married or not, this is a new relationship - usually in a new relationship you're, you know, doing stuff. The settling in comes further down the road.

And I'm with you - I don't see any sexual chemistry between them. They like each other more than Henry and Christina do, but I don't see them as being attracted to each other. There's a marked difference between the way they & Henry & Christina interact and the way the other three couples interact - even with Miles and Karen, Karen is tepid but Miles is clearly attracted to her.

• Love 10
45 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Was Christina the one who said her ideas about relationships and marriage came from the movies?  If she's the one, that explains a lot about her.  She's waiting for Prince Charming who lives in a McMansion and drives a Tesla.  

Yep!

46 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

38 minutes ago, ChiMama said:

Was she also the one that was overly dramatic & snippy during the wedding dress purchase episode? It was either her or Olivia— whoever it was, it was irritating and a red flag as far as I was concerned).

Which one got snippy with her bridesmaids?

At least when Olivia and Brett have a conversation, they are both speaking and asking questions like normal people do. For example, when Brett mentioned blowing, Olivia answered that she loved bowling and that lead Brett to ask her what her bowling team's name would be - like a real conversation.

ChristinA is interviewing Henry, not talking to or with him. He clearly doesn't (that we have seen) give her much to work with and doesn't seem to bounce off her questions to him to ask what her thoughts are, so I can understand her frustration. Plus, the dopey music the show plays to highlight the awkwardness doesn't help. But the way they keep the camera on ChristinA when she is obviously embarrassed and makes goofy faces isn't really necessary.

Edited by Retired at last
  • Love 16
12 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

My opinion of Brett changes every week. This week not liking him so much. 

Olivia eating her steak dinner: This is really good. 

Brett: I know. 

Couldn't he just say thank you, glad you like it. Dipshit. 

Brett was just making the point that they could have steak, at home, for a reasonable cost instead of dining at a 10 star restaurant. He's my kind of guy. 

Olivia is just a snob. Didn't like her disgusted comment about his house being a tiny house like Bennett's either. Yeah, it's not huge, but was her rental huge?

• Love 3
7 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Olivia’s storyline is to go on defensive about her finances in Week 2....she wants to be portrayed as a sympathetic character who is trapped in a marriage held hostage by her husband’s frugality.
Unfortunately, she dug her own hole by making how she spends her money an issue.
Her story line will showcase how she pushes back on Brett how HER money should be spent.

But this is a problem of her own making.

Brett doesn’t want to control her money.
He’s not asking her to hand over her paycheck or deposit it into a joint account.
He wants simply wants Olivia to take responsibility for her money, Know where it goes, for her own sake.
He naively thinks that if she uses one of his magical spreadsheets she will have a fiscal epiphany and have a come to Jesus moment about money.

Brett is walking into a trap...His earnestness about living within his means will be used against him as he will come off as a tight-fisted skinflint Scrooge.
Olivia is using Brett’s penny pinching as a convenient excuse for Failure of their marriage and she is mourning the death of her fairytale ending to her MAFS experience.

Brett is not showing her any heat, no sexual interest....Aunt Olivia, want me to cut your steak into small bites?

They are performing for the cameras and are as fake as Hen and Tina.

2 forks please...2 couples are DONE.

agree 1000 %

love the Aunt Olivia comment

You may have missed....

Bennett chatting on the porch with Louie, Amelia's best guy friend and his friend, Chris....

Bennett: Historically, in the context of past romantic and sexual relationships I have a tendency to curate myself  in a way that fails to truly represent who I truly am.  This is helpful for me. I am going to throw myself into this in a way I might not.

(Speaking about Amelia) I am completely committed to you, there is no point of restraining myself.

Talking to the 2 guys: I am confident in what we have.

Louie chatting with Amelia in the bedroom while the party continues...

Louie: Bennett is great. Within 2 minutes we were having an authentic conversation.

Do you feel you can be you?

Amelia: I definitely feel I can be myself. He is rooting for that...

Amelia: Like...this is his blanket.

Louie: I would have guessed it's yours...

They laugh....

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 6

I adored Karen's natural hair this episode.  Not sure if we've seen that yet?  The braids looked great, but her natural hair she's got going on in this episode is simply beautiful.

I sure do hope that she sees Miles for the great guy he is, and that she lets him in her heart.  He's maybe my all-time favorite MAFS male ever.

Edited by Starlight925
  • Love 12
18 minutes ago, cinsays said:

Brett was just making the point that they could have steak, at home, for a reasonable cost instead of dining at a 10 star restaurant. He's my kind of guy. 

I know he was making a point. He was still rude about it. Not a Brett or an Olivia fan but she was putting in some effort to compliment his meal and he was an ass. 

• Love 10
5 hours ago, Booger666 said:

I’m on team Henry.  Yes, he is quiet and very slow to warm up.  But, I wonder how he would've done if he had been paired with Kate (Luke), Meka (Michael), Deonna (Greg), or Stephanie (I forget his name).  All women more outgoing than him and basically kind.  Perhaps he would’ve blossomed and come out of his shell.  Instead he was matched with someone who is more outgoing and rude.  He can’t take the rudeness and it seems to be making him tense and shutdown.  I hope if they are given the opportunity to end it early they do.  This relationship is toxic for both of them.

I'm with you on team Henry.  I was thinking maybe Mindy also would have worked with him.

• Useful 2
  • Love 12

For Brett, watching his "wealth" grow is more pleasurable than working through differences with his wife. I don't blame him if that's his thing, but regardless of the issue and who is right or wrong (and I think they are both both here), there are always issues to work through. His needing to be right all the time is the reason why he's still single — not that that's necessarily a bad thing. Not everyone is suited for marriage. Some bloodlines don't need to continue.

I see frugality due to living in his means. I don't see him going to ridiculous ends to save every farthing

He said he wanted to account for every last dollar, and if hearing about that constantly doesn't sound like a barrel of fun for the rest of your life, I don't know what is. I'm sure he's getting extra-defensive here since he is all about $$ and she makes more than him and (in his eyes) lives frivolously. To him it's a slap in the face. 

He’s not asking her to hand over her paycheck or deposit it into a joint account.

I should hope not! What is this, 1956?

Disclaimer: I am a creative who is more laissez-faire about finances than my husband, who works in finance and probably actually knows how much we have to the last dollar. (I just don't care to hear about it and fortunately he knows it). Over the years we have managed to find common ground and work through disagreements on a case by case basis. There are certain purchases I will not back down from, and there are certain non-purchases shall we say that he sees as completely necessary. He has learned that he likes nice things occasionally, and I like the security that comes from smart planning. Both of us compromise a lot, but over time you become proud of occasionally not getting your way your way to make the other happy. To me, that's what is "working on your marriage" sometimes boils down to. 

But delivery and compassion go a LONG way. If Brett were just to say to Olivia, we could afford a bigger house in a great neighborhood and nice vacations a few times a year if we cut back in X, Y, and Z, she'd be like, absolutely! (She already showed willingness to cut back on eating out.) I know when our finances were presented to me like that — very positively, without making me feel bad about not being more sensible — I thought my husband was a genius! It's all about the approach, and kindness, really. If he had even SAID the word spreadsheet, my eyes would have rolled back in my head.

I do think he goes overboard with frugality that showed itself with the alarm expense — my goodness, if someone said that to my daughter who was living alone, I would tell her he cares more about $$ than her safety. Time to find the door!

Regarding ChristinA, let's just say the lesson here is, if you ever go on a reality show, be nice to the crew. And although I don't know that he is well-suited to a reality show, I think Henry and Kate (from Philadelphia) may have worked. Both seem like kind, gentle people with quite a bit going on beneath the surface. She would have been patient enough to endure awkward silences, though it would hardly make for interesting TV.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

Did someone here say Olivia told Brett the zoo was "free"?  If she did that's not true of any zoo we've ever visited (& it's been several). They have to feed & care for the animals with something.

I like Woody/Amani so far but it seems almost too smooth, so hopefully there isn't some big ass ball waiting to drop there.

On Unfiltered, which is mostly just so boring, Karen is very pretty but way overdressed.  And granted I don't understand or give a damn about fashion but I just can't with Woody & that pink suit, sorry but holy crap!  Then Bennett says he "doesn't have that kind of energy" - to put into fashion - but he somehow does have enough energy to dress like a half rate clown. Maybe he saves energy by his lack of attention to hygiene. Nice guy but whenever he & Olivia are on I can practically smell them through the TV, especially Bennett & those feet. 🤢

Those adolescent party games, just, OMG. 🙄

agreed

the zoo tickets are around $25, not that that is super expensive, but it sure ain't free

I also am kind of unsure I think Woody/Amani are going to last long-term.  Somehow I expect him to need more outside activities. Hope I am wrong.

Yeah,  Karen is dressing for a big night out, not a chat on the couch with the boys and what's her name.   Can't believe Woody's outfit either, but I am old, so maybe I'm just not up on fashion.

I would hate those party games. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, After7Only said:

Brett's a pretty sarcastic guy.   Some people find that funny (me) but a lot of people take his sarcasm as azz-hattery 🙂

I don't mind some sarcasm, but he seems condescending & like you'd need to watch every word because he'll easily make fun of or talk down to you. He would put me on edge to be around.

1 hour ago, Jack Sampson said:

Which one got snippy with her bridesmaids?

Christi-NA

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Retired at last said:

@Silver Bells, don't apologize! I was seriously thanking you for your comments. I always read this board before the show starts so I know if I want to even watch it.

I watched part of the last half last night, and between the endless commercials and the fake producer games and lack of anything actually really happening, this seems to be a very long drawn out season. Having two hours to fill is just too much time for them to have to come up with interesting things. Which is sad, considering they have 5 couples and they can't come up with anything better than what we are shown.

I am glad that Miles' sister told Karen that her brother was being genuine so Karen can cross that off her list of excuses and stop waiting for him to be a jerk. I hope that she does lighten up and get real with herself and Miles. I don't want to see Miles end up in a relationship where he is constantly courting his wife, who seems to give so little of herself. I couldn't believe I when Karen said they hadn't even kissed yet. That is crazy! Poor Miles. That little peck at the party doesn't count and is just sad that she had to be dared to kiss her husband.

I agree with those of you who say that Bennett will go anywhere Amelia has to move. He is in it for the duration and she is his wife. Too bad that his little friend didn't let him know her feelings before he got married, because she is not going to get him. And, I am sure that Bennett has no clue she has those feelings.

It looked genuinely happy at the Woody/Amani party and that's great. His friends seemed to be shocked that he went from party boy to husband so quickly, but they saw the change.

I wonder if they will have that half-way part in this show to see if anyone wants out. What did they call it last season - recommitment? 

My quote thingy not working.  Oh, I thought I ruined your surprise, haha.  No problem. 😍

57 minutes ago, cinsays said:

Olivia is just a snob. Didn't like her disgusted comment about his house being a tiny house like Bennett's either. Yeah, it's not huge, but was her rental huge?

In all fairness, Olivia didn't say that Brett's house was tiny.  Christina was the one who made the comment that Henry's place is also tiny. Which I found interesting, considering she is living out of her car.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 11