Type keyword(s) to search

Thrive Without Janelle: The Accountability Group

• Start Topic

Here's a funny factoid: last week when the smoke was so bad I was lamenting the fact that I couldn't walk outside and didn't have a treadmill. What I did have was a small garden's worth of produce to process. In one day of working in the kitchen I got 8000 steps! And I have a tiny kitchen! I was shocked!  So don't discount housework or yard work as an alternate form of stepping!

• Love 13
54 minutes ago, LilWharveyGal said:

Here's a funny factoid: last week when the smoke was so bad I was lamenting the fact that I couldn't walk outside and didn't have a treadmill. What I did have was a small garden's worth of produce to process. In one day of working in the kitchen I got 8000 steps! And I have a tiny kitchen! I was shocked!  So don't discount housework or yard work as an alternate form of stepping!

Good to know!  I don't put my steps counter on unless I'm actually taking a walk.  We were inundated with smoke here too.  In previous years I would just drive down to the mall and walk inside, but I'm not doing that this year, with all the Covid.  I did my stationary bike ride today, and I have a lot of cleanup waiting outside in the backyard, too.  

• Love 4

Hello- I have recently taken over as moderator for this forum and have updated the moderator announcements and policies. This accountability thread is fine, but please do not create another one for October, November etc- all other off topic (not related to Sister Wives or its participants) discussions belong in Small Talk. No other off-topic threads will be allowed in the forum. 

@LilWharveyGal may wish to edit the title to remove the "September".

Thank you.

• Useful 1

My weight has started bobbling again as usual.  So far no bobbles above goal weight.  🙂  This is why I guess my real goal is now 1.5 pounds under the goal weight I set.  At least I've bought no pizza, chips, scones, or muffins.  

Due to stressful errands and to prevent a disease flare up, I've held walking to about half to 3/4 of what I did earlier in the week.  Still feeling OK so that's good news.  

• Love 10
31 minutes ago, Absolom said:

My weight has started bobbling again as usual.  So far no bobbles above goal weight.  🙂  This is why I guess my real goal is now 1.5 pounds under the goal weight I set.  At least I've bought no pizza, chips, scones, or muffins.  

Due to stressful errands and to prevent a disease flare up, I've held walking to about half to 3/4 of what I did earlier in the week.  Still feeling OK so that's good news.  

Hey, do what you can and that is perfect. ((hugs))

• Love 5

I signed up for the free MyFitnessPal app.  I hate logging everything I eat but I do like seeing with my own eyes that my traditional Saturday breakfast of eggs, toast and jelly really puts a big dent in the calories I am supposed to have for the day if I want to lose the Quarantine 15, so I can play around and adjust what I eat.  It also makes me want to walk longer and further because then I can eat a little more and not feel guilty. 🙂

My huge downfall is snacking at my desk at work in the afternoon.  Completely mindless eating, but the cravings for junk food hit me every day at that time but only when I'm at work, not when I'm home on weekends.  That's going to be my biggest challenge.  Right now I am sipping on a coffee and telling myself that I am NOT hungry!  NOT!  Hungry!!

Soooooooooooo hard..............

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

I signed up for the free MyFitnessPal app.  I hate logging everything I eat but I do like seeing with my own eyes that my traditional Saturday breakfast of eggs, toast and jelly really puts a big dent in the calories I am supposed to have for the day if I want to lose the Quarantine 15, so I can play around and adjust what I eat.  It also makes me want to walk longer and further because then I can eat a little more and not feel guilty. 🙂

I've been using it for three years and it's been a huge driver in watching what I eat.  It's what keeps me from going into the overweight section of BMI.  There is no way you can look at being 500 or 1000 calories over the daily requirement and tell yourself weight gain is due to big bones or I only had one cookie or I'm walking it off.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Good to know!  I like when it tells me what I will weigh in a month if I continue to be a good human and lay off the peanut butter M&M's that I am currently craving while eating an apple and telling myself that it tastes like chocolate, LOL.

Seriously though, I am up about 12 pounds since March and I can feel it on me - like I don't fit in my skin the right way.  Not sure why the pandemic made me think that I could shop like I was a ten-year old who'd just been given her mom's Target card, but that's exactly what I did...it was like, I couldn't find toilet paper so I substituted ice cream.  Can't find hand sanitizer?  I'll just buy some Doritos instead.  Now that fall/winter is coming, the primal urge to eat all the comfort foods is strong and I do not want to emerge from hibernation in spring having gained even more weight.  It's going to be a trying few months, y'all!

EDIT: does MyFitnessPal prompt you to weight yourself every week?

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, laurakaye said:

11,458 steps yesterday.

Eight years ago whenI was diagnosed with diabetes, I went low carb/high fat/keto to get it in control. I used MyFitnessPal to help me monitor food intake and ratios. In 5 months I had lost 50 lbs and lowered my A1c from 9.5% to 5.7% and 8 years later my A1c is 5.7% andI have not gained back the weight. I don't use the app any more as I know what foods and how much of them I can eat and still keep my blood sugar & weight under control. It is a great app!

• Love 13
On 9/28/2020 at 12:53 PM, laurakaye said:

My huge downfall is snacking at my desk at work in the afternoon.  Completely mindless eating, but the cravings for junk food hit me every day at that time but only when I'm at work, not when I'm home on weekends.  That's going to be my biggest challenge.  Right now I am sipping on a coffee and telling myself that I am NOT hungry!  NOT!  Hungry!!

Soooooooooooo hard..............

Speaking of desks--I just started an indoor job 6 weeks ago  (because Covid killed my archaeology field job for now) and was paranoid about food and sitting all day. It's especially hard for me with a history of anorexia, because when circumstances change, that part of my brain can take over. So I have to run 5 miles before work and run or walk during lunch to ease those fears, but they're still there. 

I keep apples at my desk. I've never had an indoor job like this and I keep getting up and running around. Luckily there's a also gym where I work. 

• Love 8

I get an hour lunch and 30 minutes of that is spent walking - I can usually get a little over a mile in at lunch, and then unless the weather is awful, I also walk directly after work at a local park because I know that if I go home first, I will likely get distracted doing other stuff and I won't get a second walk in.  A desk job is very tricky.  If it's quiet in my area, I will also get up and do some yoga stretches.  I don't want to have to explain why I'm hanging upside-down in rag-doll pose to some random person walking by.  🤨

• Love 5

I wanted to check in with continued success on using the "pretend" goal below the actual weight goal.  21 days today of staying at or below my true goal weight!  I think this concept works for me.  Most of the time my weight has been a pound below the goal weight and that's fine with me.  I've always hit the goal weight and had trouble holding it before.  Now what I'm having trouble is holding the pretend goal, but that's OK and isn't frustrating like it was when I couldn't hold the goal weight.  I can keep telling myself just keep aiming for it as long as I'm not exceeding the real weight goal.  People can laugh that it's a mind game, but if I have to trick my mind to do this, I'm fine with that.  I've only exceeded my net calorie goal one day in the last twelve and that was about 200 calories.  I've been able to get back walking at the level before the difficult errands and right now just working around the California heat wave.  

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 7

Alright, I'm a little late to this thread, but the end of my summer was incredibly busy and stressful.  However, we pulled through  and now what I'd like to do is to lose 30lbs by June 1st.  We went to Yellowstone over the summer and I was so breathless and achy from my arthritis, that I couldn't do what I wanted to do. 

My first step was to get on Celebrex to help with the aching, and it has worked miracles!  I can get up without a struggle and walk very short distances without my cane.  TBH, I feel like a new person.  💃

Next, is diet and setting up an exercise plan that I can do while on the truck.  Thinking that through, now.

I just begun to read through your goals and tribulations tonight, so I hope y'all are moving along like you want, if not, chin up guys and gals!  😁

• Love 12

Running as usual, but yesterday my run was cut short by a psychotic driver who almost hit me. I thought my running area was a safe area, by an elementary school and in a quiet neighborhood. Well, along comes a red sports car, donuts in the intersection, speeds off and loses control of the car which veered my direction. Thank goodness I don't wear headphones or I may not have heard it and been run over. I let police know but don't know if anything came of it. 

I hate people sometimes. I don't know what this guy's problem was, but there are kids playing outside in this area by the street almost every day. I also hate living in a city because, people here are shitty shitheads who smoke marijuana and drive, drink and drive, meth and drive, you name it. If the universe burned this place to the ground, the world would be better for it. 

Sorry, had to vent. I just want to run in peace and be left alone while doing it (and not have to worry about getting run over by some piece of shit asshole). 

11 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Running as usual, but yesterday my run was cut short by a psychotic driver who almost hit me. I thought my running area was a safe area, by an elementary school and in a quiet neighborhood. Well, along comes a red sports car, donuts in the intersection, speeds off and loses control of the car which veered my direction. Thank goodness I don't wear headphones or I may not have heard it and been run over. I let police know but don't know if anything came of it. 

I hate people sometimes. I don't know what this guy's problem was, but there are kids playing outside in this area by the street almost every day. I also hate living in a city because, people here are shitty shitheads who smoke marijuana and drive, drink and drive, meth and drive, you name it. If the universe burned this place to the ground, the world would be better for it. 

Sorry, had to vent. I just want to run in peace and be left alone while doing it (and not have to worry about getting run over by some piece of shit asshole). 

That reminds me of a couple of years ago.  I went for a walk in my neighborhood.  I live on a busy street, but this happened on a not-so-busy connecting street.  Some jackass driving a big truck, talking on his cellphone, was at a four-way stop at the intersection.  I started to cross the street, and it was like I was invisible.  He almost ran me over.  I was pissed!  I said, more to myself than anyone, "you asshole."  Another driver that had stopped and was headed in the opposite direction, saw me, and laughed, because she could see by my lips what I said!  I had to laugh then, too.  She rolled her window down, and said, "I was thinking the same thing," having seen the guy almost cream me.  On my street, pre-covid, when kids were walking to school, it was common to see idiots speeding by, and ignoring the speed limit.  It's a wonder I haven't seen a kid run over yet.  Dumbass drivers.

• Love 2
On 10/2/2020 at 7:13 PM, Rabbit Hutch said:

Alright, I'm a little late to this thread, but the end of my summer was incredibly busy and stressful.  However, we pulled through  and now what I'd like to do is to lose 30lbs by June 1st.  We went to Yellowstone over the summer and I was so breathless and achy from my arthritis, that I couldn't do what I wanted to do. 

My first step was to get on Celebrex to help with the aching, and it has worked miracles!  I can get up without a struggle and walk very short distances without my cane.  TBH, I feel like a new person.  💃

Next, is diet and setting up an exercise plan that I can do while on the truck.  Thinking that through, now.

I just begun to read through your goals and tribulations tonight, so I hope y'all are moving along like you want, if not, chin up guys and gals!  😁

Sorry to hear about Yellowstone--was it the elevation? I used to live/work there and it was 8,000 feet before even starting to climb the mountains. It's hard to become acclimated, it took me a couple months before I could run without shortness of breath. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

10,519 steps yesterday.

I am so proud of you Gramto6, you have consistently demonstrated true accountability.  You could teach our friend Janelle a thing or two.🚶‍♀️

• Love 11

Two pounds lost since starting the MyFitnessPal app two weeks ago.  I am cautiously encouraged...the true test will be when winter and darkness comes, and I want to eat every variety of mac & cheese known to mankind.  Plus the early darkness discourages evening walks.  It shall be interesting!

• Love 9

@laurakaye have you considered using a headlamp for your winter walks?  I tried one a few evenings ago to finish up some yardwork now that it's getting darker earlier, and at first I felt like a total goofball but it was *so* nice to have light and my hands free that I'm a fan now.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1

Do any of y’all have any tips regarding safety and walking alone as a female? My neighborhood has a multi-mile walking trail that includes a pretty heavily-wooded area. I really enjoy the walk/jog, but I always feel so antsy when I go alone, even with my dog and pepper spray.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, LydiaE said:

Do any of y’all have any tips regarding safety and walking alone as a female? My neighborhood has a multi-mile walking trail that includes a pretty heavily-wooded area. I really enjoy the walk/jog, but I always feel so antsy when I go alone, even with my dog and pepper spray.

Maybe try an ad in your local paper, there may be someone else with your same concerns and you could team up.  Just make sure that any responses you receive check out regarding who they say they are.  Possibly meet for the first time at their home so you know for sure they are legitimate.

Edit to add.  If meeting at their home isn't feasible or seems to give assurance to only you, not them, let them know that at first meeting it will be expected that you each show proof of identity.

Edited by Sandy W
2nd thought
18 hours ago, LydiaE said:

I used to teach women self-defense and most of it is thinking ahead. I agree with Sandy, try to find another person to go with if possible. Maybe start up a small group. Is this a busy area or lightly traveled?

Basics: If you go alone, try not to look like an easy target. Honestly, it's mostly how you come across to a potential attacker. Don't wear headphones--you won't be able to hear what's going on around you. People intent on doing harm are going to be looking for a person who can be easily surprised and overcome. That being said, sometimes someone becomes a target of opportunity--best thing to do is practice and train for such a situation. If you need to drive to the trail, be sure to check around your vehicle before getting in when you're done. Lock doors immediately, some attackers look for pre-occupied women who just got into their cars. 

If someone jumps you, MAKE NOISE. Do not go quietly. Fight like an angry badger (this is the part we can't cover, because people can't just get together and train during a pandemic).  Once it is more safe, there are classes for women to practice and learn in greater depth.

Also, some people may suggest pepper spray but understand that you will likely be exposed to it if you use it. We all had to be sprayed in our academy and some of us were able to fight through it, others were completely incapacitated. I can fight through it so it wouldn't work on someone like me. 

• Useful 5
On 10/7/2020 at 11:24 AM, LydiaE said:

Get a small knife to carry in your pocket. Get one that you can just pull out of a sheath.  I have a small one that the blade is maybe 2 1/2 inches.  Not long enough that you would get in trouble for carrying it, but hopefully enough to hurt an attacker who would then run away.  Don't walk at the same time every day, unless there are other people around.  Change up your start and stop point if you can.  I don't have time to walk anymore, but I have several places I go to.  I don't use the same one all the time.

• Love 3

Worked in the field yesterday, so no running. 7 miles covered. 2 more days of fieldwork and then back to running. What sucked was it was 105 in the field, ugh. I can't handle the heat like I used to, likely due to COVID I had in April. I can't wait for it to cool off and desperately miss living up north. 

• Love 4