Type keyword(s) to search

Thrive Without Janelle: The Accountability Group

• Start Topic

Strive With Janelle is now offering accountability coaching for $45 for either 14 or 21 days (she doesn't know).  Let's save ourselves some dough and some futility and support each other with our goals - for a whole month!  Your goal may be working on your weight and health, finally getting the garage cleaned out, starting that hobby or project you've always wanted to do, repairing a relationship, whatever.  We are here for you!  Please share your goals here and we'll help keep everyone on track.

I'll admit it - I went hog wild this summer and now need to lose some weight.  For my situation, I know that keto and intermittent fasting work really well for me.  I'm committing to sticking to this plan for September.  I'm also going to alternate yoga and cardio workouts each day.  And then I'll tackle that garage...

Let's make this a great month and set ourselves up for a healthy and happy fall and winter!

attack-the-day-inspirational-memes.jpg

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 11

I haven't done yoga since my studio closed in March, even though there are a ton of free videos I could do at home (some from that same studio).  I need to get back on that bandwagon so for September, I want to try and work in two sessions a week from the comfort of my porch.  Also my dear son fixed up a cute cruiser-type bike for me to ride and I have yet to get on it so I'd like to see if I can ride a couple of blocks without my legs turning to Jell-O (it's been a lonnnnnnnnng time since I've ridden a bike).  And I know exactly what I need to stop eating and drinking...going to see if I can cut back and fill up on more good stuff and just see what happens - maybe not so much on the scale but on how I feel (but I am going to track the weight just the same).  

And the title of this thread is EVERYTHING.    

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Meowwww said:

anyone have a Fitbit?   Or other device that counts steps?   We can do a challenge here, weekly or daily, for steps! 

I use an app in my iPhone called Maipo weird name when you search for steps aps it is the one with the girl in green pants and a yellow shirt walking. It is free to use. You set your goal and walk...  Rather than a competition, we are all at different levels why not the challege be to meet our goal for the day? My daily goal is 10,000 steps and I usually reach it.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Does any know a good YouTube video of easy yoga. At 63 and having arthritis I am not ready to twist my leg behind my head. If so does anyone want to do it " together "?

I will.  (Said grudgingly).  I really really really hate exercising - although yoga is ok.   At least I have a yoga mat.  Still rolled and in the cardboard packaging after three years. Now I will have an excuse to get it out.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
35 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

I will.  (Said grudgingly).  I really really really hate exercising - although yoga is ok.   At least I have a yoga mat.  Still rolled and in the cardboard packaging after three years. Now I will have an excuse to get it out.

Thank you. Now to find a simple yoga vidio.

I know my weight is OK, but....  Right before the pandemic I had a norovirus type thing and then the first weeks of the pandemic starting up here I got nervous and couldn't eat.  The bottom line is the two together got my weight within a pound of my goal.  However, since April I've been losing and regaining the last two pounds over and over and over.  So far I haven't gotten more than three pounds over the goal weight.  My challenge is getting out of the grocery store without scones, brownies, cookies, cinnamon rolls, etc.  I know if I don't bring it home, the weight will stay down much easier.  

• Love 4

I do chair yoga because if I get on the ground it will take a forklift to get me back up.  Can't kneel anymore so this all works for me. I go to a class and we don't sit all of the time but use the chair to do some of the poses using the chair.

Here is one video that is entirely chair.

This is a good one, too.  It shows two different options for some of the moves and gets you up for stretches and balance.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
10 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

I do chair yoga because if I get on the ground it will take a forklift to get me back up.  Can't kneel anymore so this all works for me. I go to a class and we don't sit all of the time but use the chair to do some of the poses using the chair.

Here is one video that is entirely chair.

This is a good one, too.  It shows two different options for some of the moves and gets you up for stretches and balance.

Thank you.

So I did the Gentle yoga Knanight and it was doable. I am not sure I have some of the positions but that will get better. My eating habit (trademark Dr. Now) was an air fried pork chop and carrots. I also had a handful of cheese crackers,  the first ingredient is cheese so not a lot of flour. I need to find dome7I can eat before bed I take a herbal sleep aid and I need soon my stomach before I take it.

• Love 4

My favorite YouTube exercise videos are the HASfit videos. They run the gamut from hard-core exercise to chair exercises. They have dozens of chair exercise videos. I like the ones where the guy is doing the standing exercises and his wife is seated showing you the seated variations. Sometimes I like to do some of the standing exercises, and the rest I do seated. Also, if you have a particular problem like sciatica, bad hips, neck pain, etc., they show you exercises to relieve those problems. I swear, their sciatica stretches alleviated my problem that plagued me for 3 years.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
29 minutes ago, ehall1052 said:

My favorite YouTube exercise videos are the HASfit videos. They run the gamut from hard-core exercise to chair exercises. They have dozens of chair exercise videos. I like the ones where the guy is doing the standing exercises and his wife is seated showing you the seated variations. Sometimes I like to do some of the standing exercises, and the rest I do seated. Also, if you have a particular problem like sciatica, bad hips, neck pain, etc., they show you exercises to relieve those problems. I swear, their sciatica stretches alleviated my problem that plagued me for 3 years.

Subscribed to their chanel.  I have my current set of exercises, but when I'm ready to move up or need variety this sounds perfect.  Thanks!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

So I did the Gentle yoga Knanight and it was doable. I am not sure I have some of the positions but that will get better. My eating habit (trademark Dr. Now) was an air fried pork chop and carrots. I also had a handful of cheese crackers,  the first ingredient is cheese so not a lot of flour. I need to find dome7I can eat before bed I take a herbal sleep aid and I need soon my stomach before I take it.

Oh good!  I haven't tried it yet - maybe tonight.  Also other people have given us some other options, too.

My first food goal is to give up soda.  It breaks my heart because I REALLY do love it - but it is SOOOOO bad for you!  I have to taper down or I get horrific caffeine-deprivation headaches.

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

Oh good!  I haven't tried it yet - maybe tonight.  Also other people have given us some other options, too.

My first food goal is to give up soda.  It breaks my heart because I REALLY do love it - but it is SOOOOO bad for you!  I have to taper down or I get horrific caffeine-deprivation headaches.

I used to drink 3 or 4 cokes a day. I now drink one a day and sometimes don't finish that. I try to drink a lot of water and ice tea but I drink the tea with no sugar and very weak.i had a friend tell me all I was doing was drinking colored water.

• Love 6

Regarding yoga, I started doing yoga when I was in my early 30's because I couldn't sit without pain on the floor to play with my kids so I thought I'd give it a shot.  My very first class was like, I found my thing.  Long story short, there were poses I absolutely could not do in my 30's that I can do in my 50's.  I was actually considering going through teacher training next year just to see how far I could push myself but now I won't be doing that.  Maybe in '22?  Who knows.

Giving up pop (or SODA, to you non-northerners) was SO. HARD.  Switching to La Croix helped with the "I need carbonation!" fixation, and drinking iced tea helped with the caffeine addiction.  It took me about two years to get off the diet Coke.  And I lovvvvvvvvvve diet Coke.  I still miss it but when I drink it now, the sugar crash afterwards is much harder to recover from.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Japanese Taiso exercises!   Quick and great fun!  I was introduced to these in my Delta Airlines training classes at break time   The whole class would do them together.  What a hoot and they get your blood pumping   There are a ton of them out there   

• Useful 3
  • Love 4

I love those.  I was introduced to them early in the pandemic as something quick to do when feeling closed in, depressed, or panicky.  It did help as something positive to do in the face of more negative emotions.  I still try to do them several days a week.  

• Love 3
On 9/1/2020 at 10:52 AM, Meowwww said:

Just posted on small talk...

anyone have a Fitbit?   Or other device that counts steps?   We can do a challenge here, weekly or daily, for steps! 

I do and am a runner. 

Edited: 7.1 miles today. 

Edited by TurtlePower
Addition
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I used to drink 3 or 4 cokes a day. I now drink one a day and sometimes don't finish that. I try to drink a lot of water and ice tea but I drink the tea with no sugar and very weak.i had a friend tell me all I was doing was drinking colored water.

Tea is actually healthy for you to drink as long as you are not using sweetener.  

• Love 2

I kicked a serious Diet Coke addiction last fall, and the withdrawal headache was no joke. My hat's off to all of you who have quit or are quitting pop!

Two different family members have invited us to dinner this Friday and Sunday. I'm already starting to plan what low-carb dessert and side dish I can bring so that I don't mess up my eating habit (TM Dr. Now) too much.

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, LilWharveyGal said:

I kicked a serious Diet Coke addiction last fall, and the withdrawal headache was no joke. My hat's off to all of you who have quit or are quitting pop!

Two different family members have invited us to dinner this Friday and Sunday. I'm already starting to plan what low-carb dessert and side dish I can bring so that I don't mess up my eating habit (TM Dr. Now) too much.

That sucks about the headache. I refuse to give up my coffee lol. 

Sometimes I feel lucky when people invite me to dinner and I can’t have any of it because I’m celiac. Most everything is contaminated so, I get away with not eating anything unless I bring it myself. If I do risk it, I can get very sick. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, TurtlePower said:

That sucks about the headache. I refuse to give up my coffee lol. 

Sometimes I feel lucky when people invite me to dinner and I can’t have any of it because I’m celiac. Most everything is contaminated so, I get away with not eating anything unless I bring it myself. If I do risk it, I can get very sick. 

How do you handle that if you don't mind me asking.  While I don't have celiac diseaI do have digestive issues. I would feel rude for refusing to eat something while I was  guest at someone's home but the issues I have would not be pleasant. I cannot even eat a lot of vegetables.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, crazycatlady58 said:

How do you handle that if you don't mind me asking.  While I don't have celiac diseaI do have digestive issues. I would feel rude for refusing to eat something while I was  guest at someone's home but the issues I have would not be pleasant. I cannot even eat a lot of vegetables.

Mr lookeyloo has a sensitivity to dairy that causes migraines. No one has ever thought him rude at least not to our faces when he declines say for example his formerly favorite dessert of cheesecake or anything with dairy. He has gotten pretty good with asking about ingredients if not sure.  The only problem we ever had was with his mother!  “Just try some this one time”!

i walk the hills in our subdivision for an hour almost every day. It is about 3 miles and just over 7000 steps. I am trying to be better about the weights and that is my fitness goal. And a bag of Fritos 😄

• Love 4
1 hour ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Well, my issues will go further than just stomach distress, itching and inflammation. Long-term exposure to gluten can cause cancer. I handle it by letting my host know about my disease and that I cannot have gluten—at all—not even a little bite. Once they realise how serious it it, they understand. 

If you have issues with certain foods, don’t suffer in silence. Most people will understand if you just let them know. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, TurtlePower said:

Well, my issues will go further than just stomach distress, itching and inflammation. Long-term exposure to gluten can cause cancer. I handle it by letting my host know about my disease and that I cannot have gluten—at all—not even a little bite. Once they realise how serious it it, they understand. 

If you have issues with certain foods, don’t suffer in silence. Most people will understand if you just let them know. 

I do understand that celiac disease has worse consequences than IBS-D. I apologize if I worded my post in a manner that made lite of the disease.

• Love 1

@TurtlePower is a runner.  I'm a road cyclist!  I start working at 5 AM so I can get on my bike by 2 PM, usually averaging about 28 miles a day.

Also, after the gym closed I invested in a Peloton and I love it!  I'm on it 1-2 times a day and have also done some of the non-bike classes on the app.  Actually I'm considering cancelling my gym membership when they reopen...but I will miss the camaraderie. 

As far as diet goes I've been eating a lot of bread since quarantine started.  I have a trip down to San Diego in the first week of October so cutting out flour products this month (looking forward to feasting on lots of fish tacos and burritos when I'm down there though...)

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Love 6
15 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

As far as diet goes I've been eating a lot of bread since quarantine started.  I have a trip down to San Diego in the first week of October so cutting out flour products this month (looking forward to feasting on lots of fish tacos and burritos when I'm down there though...)

We should be having lovely weather by then.  Now I want fish tacos.  Hmpf.

• LOL 1

I lost 15 lbs during the shutdown.  Due to sensitivities I avoid sugar, all grains, legumes and dairy proteins. The latter caused all my sinus problems & headaches. Grains & legumes cause me inflammation of the airways and joints. So I eat mostly meat, fish, poultry & eggs with a few low-carb vegetables and the fat they come with and a bit of olive or coconut oil or butter/ghee.  The only change I made during the shutdown was to only shop once every 10-14 days and only buy real foods and then ate them in two meals a day, allowing my body at least 16 hours of fasting per day. If I was really hungry I'd eat 3 meals, but over 6-12 hrs (not 24), basically how people ate before the 1970s when obesity, diabetes, and other metabolic diseases started to explode.  I take walks and lift weights, but did not increase my physical activity; it was giving my body 12-16 hrs a day to secrete human growth hormone and process my very low carb diet that let the weight fall off. 

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 8
10 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I do understand that celiac disease has worse consequences than IBS-D. I apologize if I worded my post in a manner that made lite of the disease.

No offense taken so no apologies needed ❤️. My wording my not have been the best either. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

@TurtlePower is a runner.  I'm a road cyclist!  I start working at 5 AM so I can get on my bike by 2 PM, usually averaging about 28 miles a day.

Also, after the gym closed I invested in a Peloton and I love it!  I'm on it 1-2 times a day and have also done some of the non-bike classes on the app.  Actually I'm considering cancelling my gym membership when they reopen...but I will miss the camaraderie. 

How expensive is that thing? I remember seeing commercials that it was "crazy affordable". I can see the appeal, especially here in the desert where it's hot 8 months out of the year. I'm up now to be out the door running before the sun comes up so I don't fry. The other day when I went out, it was 81 degrees at 6 am. I used to be able to run through extreme heat like 100s, but lately the sun takes its toll on me. Something like a Peleton would be a welcome relief. On a similar note, all the home-gym stuff like the "mirror" and that other thing is interesting, way to be innovative! 

For me, quarantine eating didn't change much and I still trained the same. 

2 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

How expensive is that thing? I remember seeing commercials that it was "crazy affordable". I can see the appeal, especially here in the desert where it's hot 8 months out of the year. I'm up now to be out the door running before the sun comes up so I don't fry. The other day when I went out, it was 81 degrees at 6 am. I used to be able to run through extreme heat like 100s, but lately the sun takes its toll on me. Something like a Peleton would be a welcome relief. On a similar note, all the home-gym stuff like the "mirror" and that other thing is interesting, way to be innovative! 

For me, quarantine eating didn't change much and I still trained the same. 

About $2500 but they have zero-interest payments of $67 a month. Plus the app is $38. 

I was paying $150 for my gym membership so if I cancel that, I'm on the plus side! The classes offered on demand are excellent. I'd probably invest in some adjustable dumbbells so I can do more of the Advanced strength training classes on the app. 

I've heard raves about the tread but it's wicked expensive and even if I wanted it I wouldn't have room for it anyways.  

I'm averaging about 3-4 peloton classes a day which will probably increase when the weather gets bad. 

• Love 4

I'm a night owl, so I go to bed fairly well after midnight and get up around 9ish. I walk every hour that I am awake so I post steps for the previous 24 hours (minus sleeping time). That is why I post steps for the previous day. I lost my step partner on the diabetes forum I moderate so am glad to  have this accountability forum.

• Love 5

I'm proud of all of you that have kept up your workouts.  I ride 1/2 hour on my stationary bike most days.  I also run up and down the stairs in my house at least 25 times a day.  I'm sure it's not even close to what I should be doing, but it's better than nothingk.  How do you all stay hydrated walking outdoors while masked?  Before Covid, I would swig at least one bottle of water on a 2 mile walk.  

• Love 3

I have severe balance issues and many back issues. All my walking is done in my house or in the grocery or whatever store  on shopping days. I am a widow, the TV is on for background noise during the day...I walk whenever the commercials come on no matter what else I am doing, So I  get about 1000 steps/per hour. No mask required at home. And I do drink a lot of water even at home.

Edited by Gramto6
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9
9 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

I'm proud of all of you that have kept up your workouts.  I ride 1/2 hour on my stationary bike most days.  I also run up and down the stairs in my house at least 25 times a day.  I'm sure it's not even close to what I should be doing, but it's better than nothingk.  How do you all stay hydrated walking outdoors while masked?  Before Covid, I would swig at least one bottle of water on a 2 mile walk.  

I don't wear a mask outdoors unless in a shopping district. Where I run, there are never any other people anyways so it wouldn't make sense. Our state is pretty strict on masks, too, yet people exercising outdoors without them are pretty much left alone. Also, it tends to be over 100 degrees by 10 am and we sometimes have people dropping from heat. The last thing EMS needs is more casualties.

Regarding hydration, if I'm out running in the heat/sun, I use a Camelbak and can go through a liter an hour when it's really hot. I try to get my running in before the sun comes up, which I'm about to do, but sometimes it's later in the day. 

See how much better we are then Janelle? 😆

• Love 7
12 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

I carry a water bottle, mask, and towel for sweating.  I only put the mask on when I see another person in the distance, in case we  pass.  The other person never has a mask.  😬

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, DakotaJustice said:

When I'm on my bike I wear a gaiter and pull it up over nose and mouth when I'm going to be riding past other humans. 

Some of them aren’t as effective as two layers of cotton but I’m guessing you have that figured out. Just putting it out there - plus you are zipping by. 

• Love 3

Oh man you guys are motivating me. I've been on a slow down since lock down but in my favor the shorts that didn't zip up last summer now zip up, but I'm not exercising at all. Ok I'm going to do my 10,000 steps a day to start since I have "mid-foot arthritis" and my foot is killing me. I do refuse to go back to the gym yet since they aren't making everyone wear a mask as they walk around the gym, ugh.

But I do know how to cook and what vegetables to eat so hopefully I don't sound like Janelle 

• Love 5

I have gotten back to "the pound" I want to weigh.  It's "the pound" plus .75, but still it's the first number.  My goal is really to get 1.25 pounds lower than I am now so there's some wiggle room before I see what looks like a gain.  

• Love 3