Type keyword(s) to search

Thrive Without Janelle: The Accountability Group

• Start Topic

I like the headlamp suggestion, @LilWharveyGal.  It's either that or try to get the walk in before 6pm!

As for staying safe in wooded trails, I agree with keeping the headphones off.  I definitely alter my walking paths in summer (lots of light, lots of people) and winter (dark earlier, not as many fellow walkers/joggers).  You could also buy a keychain alarm - I remember my dad giving me one when I went off to college and the sound it made was piercing!

• Love 4
On 10/11/2020 at 7:30 AM, Kohola3 said:

Good grief!  That's unbelievable!  I'd just lie down and die.

It cooled off yesterday thank goodness.  Basically I got paid to hike all day, so no running and today is a rest day and back to the other job for a few days. More fieldwork this weekend. 

I really hope the fieldwork picks up because I'm ok with working 6 or even 7 days a week for now. 

• Love 2

My weight is staying at or below the goal weight.  Aiming a pound and a half below is still working.  I'm sort of adjusting to this calorie level which is good.  The whatever illness I had going is fading so I think in a couple of days I can increase walking again.  Right now I'm keeping it down to a mile a day so I can recover.

• Love 8

After 2 days off recovering from 3 days of fieldwork (sand dunes, vegetation, rock scrambling), I finally woke up at 4:30 without my alarm and feeling refreshed. Back to running 5 miles before 6 and then off to the other job. 

I totally needed the recovery time. Someone like me tends to think more exercise fixes everything but the fact is, I'm getting older and can't recover like I used to. 2 workouts a day was breaking me down and I kept trying to fix it through more workouts, causing me to feel run down which prompted me to do more workouts. Sometimes, you need the rest (and don't feel guilty about it). 

Edited by TurtlePower
  • Love 8

Running as usual, but it's still ridiculously hot here; 90s forecast for the next 4 days (seriously--it's the last third of OCTOBER). Light at the end of the tunnel: after this week, things look to be cooling off. 

It feels like my mental health is suffering, despite everything I'm working on physically. I am so done with the desert southwest and cannot wait to move out of this godforsaken, hot, dry, ugly dustbowl that's nearly intolerable 8 months of the year (when one of your jobs is outside, it wears on a person). I try so hard to keep upbeat and positive, but I deeply hate it out here.  The people kind of suck, too, and I often feel unsafe after experiencing the shitty side of some of the people here. I can fight, I just don't like to and simply want to be left alone at this point in my life. Please, just try not to run me over with your car during your drug-induced rage. Is that so much to ask? 

Another light at the end of the tunnel--in a year or two, we'll be looking to relocate closer to home. I'm counting the days, continuing to run/eat well and trying to stay focused on the long game. Sometimes, though, I sit and cry for a bit, then dust myself off (pun intended) and try to keep on keeping on. 

• Love 2

@turtlepower Hang in there, echoing what @gramto6 saidsaid, I'm sending you love and hugs, and hopes for you to get to a better place soon. I forget where your home  is (if you posted it) but I'm envisioning you in a happier place and time. Stay safe.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

Due to hip pain and health issues I'm back to a mile to a mile and a half.  I pushed to return to two miles too fast it seems.

We all have our restrictions and just do what we can. Nothing wrong with that, we alone know what our body is able to do at any given time. I may well not make my 10,000 steps today as my back is not happy that I was shoveling snow yesterday. No shoveling today...

• Love 6

9,321 steps yesterday. My back was still a bit sore from the shoveling so took it a little easy.

I'm on the western side of Montana, also known as the Banana Belt because of the "milder" weather....

Edited by Gramto6
  • Love 5

Using the MyFitnessPal app has really got me going out for a second walk whenever I can (I get in a one-mile walk every day at lunch).  I walked Sunday in a cold drizzle using my husband's big golf umbrella because I do NOT like seeing that calorie number turn red, meaning that I went over my daily limit!

Incidentally, there's something very calm and peaceful about a walk in the rain, when everyone else is inside their cozy homes and you're the only person walking the neighborhood, especially when your reward is a cup of tea and an episode of The Great British Bake-Off. 🙂

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 4
17 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Using the MyFitnessPal app has really got me going out for a second walk whenever I can (I get in a one-mile walk every day at lunch).  I walked Sunday in a cold drizzle using my husband's big golf umbrella because I do NOT like seeing that calorie number turn red, meaning that I went over my daily limit!

Incidentally, there's something very calm and peaceful about a walk in the rain, when everyone else is inside their cozy homes and you're the only person walking the neighborhood, especially when your reward is a cup of tea and an episode of The Great British Bake-Off. 🙂

I'm jealous.  Now that I work 60+ hours a week I no longer take any cardio walks.  I really miss it and feel my health is suffering because of it.  While I walk between 15K-22K steps a day, it's rarely ever in a cardio burn mode.  Which makes me sort of mad when Janelle says she doesn't have time.  I'm gone from home with work and commute times at least 75 hours a week.  I really don't have time.  But as I come in around 4:30-5 am I see several people in my neighborhood out for their AM walk even though it is dark outside.  

• Love 6
16 hours ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

I'm jealous.  Now that I work 60+ hours a week I no longer take any cardio walks.  I really miss it and feel my health is suffering because of it.  While I walk between 15K-22K steps a day, it's rarely ever in a cardio burn mode.  Which makes me sort of mad when Janelle says she doesn't have time.  I'm gone from home with work and commute times at least 75 hours a week.  I really don't have time.  But as I come in around 4:30-5 am I see several people in my neighborhood out for their AM walk even though it is dark outside.  

It angers me as well when Janelle complains about not having time. She is the worst coach. 

Holy cow. 60 hours a week? Wow. You really don't have time. That IS a lot of walking, however. Is there any way to do short bursts of cardio? It is effective even if for short duration. 

• Love 5

For those who are short on time, I recently found Lucy Wyndham-Read's 7 minute HIIT videos on YouTube. They're probably not the most intense, but I'm in a place where I need to get back into shape so it's my speed. Plus she has a British accent which makes everything better. 😁 I recommend them.

And now for something completely different...

I have house cleaning/decluttering goals. I also have a toddler. Does anyone have tips on how to get chores done with a kiddo underfoot?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

It depends on the child.  Some you can engage in the process like letting them put items for trash in a bag or give aways in a box.  Some you could have a basket of toys and they'll play along side you for a bit.  You have to adjust the time spent depending on how long the child will stay involved or entertained.  Depending on your view of videos, you might get 15 to 30 minutes letting the child watch a show or video.  I found I needed to set the time limits to be less than the child's attention span and stick to it and then do something actively involved like read a story, play a game, or take the child for a walk or to the playground.  The sort of reward helps them view it more positively and more likely to cooperate.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

You could try having them empty certain drawers or cabinets they can reach into laundry baskets or boxes. Pick your poison, obviously, because you or they will need to put the items back where they belong. 

Kitchen drawers or cabinets: tupperware, pots and pans, canned or unopened boxed food, pot holders and towels, a utensil drawer placed on the floor. Stuff they don't usually touch but see you use is a big treat. 

"Clean" the empty drawer or shelf with a paper towel and re-fill it. Good job!

Socks, underwear, diapers, pull-ups, mittens, hats, gloves, pajamas. Stuff that's easy for you to put back if it comes to that.

Toddlers love to be busy.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
23 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

It angers me as well when Janelle complains about not having time. She is the worst coach. 

Holy cow. 60 hours a week? Wow. You really don't have time. That IS a lot of walking, however. Is there any way to do short bursts of cardio? It is effective even if for short duration. 

Haha.  I have thought about getting up about 30 minutes early and ride the stationary bike in the garage.  Yes, Sunday is my only free day, but I could go for a walk both morning and evening.

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

Haha.  I have thought about getting up about 30 minutes early and ride the stationary bike in the garage.  Yes, Sunday is my only free day, but I could go for a walk both morning and evening.

I meant to say at your job. Since you walk so much already, is there any way to get little bursts in here and there? I'm sorry I don't know what you do but I "get" it. One of my jobs requires a lot of walking (archaeological surveying), but it's not "cardio" (unless it's sand dunes). Many days we walk 9 miles and it's pretty easy walking (we can't go too fast or we many miss something). 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, LilWharveyGal said:

I have house cleaning/decluttering goals. I also have a toddler. Does anyone have tips on how to get chores done with a kiddo underfoot?

Here's my take on trying to clean a house with small children....do the bare minimum, and IF and only IF you find yourself with extra time, work on decluttering.  My toddlers are adults now and they are both back in my house due to Covid (one is on leave from his job in Colorado and one is trying to save money to get an apartment).  When they were little I was constantly stressing myself out because my  house wasn't "clean" enough (you know - that mystical image you have in your head for what you think your house SHOULD look like).  Now I see how much time I wasted stressing and bothering, especially during their toddlerhood when they only wanted to follow me around the house and "help."  Eventually they will get a little bit older and be able to play longer either by themselves, or they will head on down the street to play with their neighborhood friends, etc., and you can pay more attention to the chores. 🙂

BRB it's dusty in here, need a tissue. 😉

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 8
6 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

BRB it's dusty in here, need a tissue. 😉

Awww, I know how you feel. Those were the days... and they went so quickly. You passed along good advice.

Speaking of dust, about 30 years ago I found a cute little wooden sign with a ribbon hanger in a crafter boutique and I bought one for me and one for my stepmom. I lost mine along the way and when she died I kept hers.

The script on the sign says You may touch the dust but please don't write in it

When I move it goes in my purse with my toothbrush and inhaler and it's the first thing I find a spot for in the new house. I flove it and it always gets a laugh from kindred spirits who do not enjoy dusting.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

My daughter's bugaboo is changing out the kids' clothes.  I don't know how she'll handle it with the pandemic because I've either always helped or just done it for her.  Grandson would usually play near us and would gleefully empty the drawers for me until around age 5 when he no longer wanted any part of the changing of the wardrobe.  Granddaughter will empty the drawers, but she is most fond of being allowed to go through the new or new to her clothes that we are bringing in.  With the hand me downs we always tell her that if there is something she doesn't like to please put it straight in the give away bag.  

• Love 5

So, after going gluten free due to celiac disease, now I must be dairy-free as well due to inflammation issues. The background: for months it felt like I had a frog in my throat and I was constantly clearing it. I thought it was from Covid back in April and went to the Dr. The doctors could not figure out what was causing it and said "post nasal drip" as a blanket explanation. The gucky throat kept on, I kept trying to clear it. 

By happenstance a couple weeks ago, I hadn't had any dairy in days. I felt much better and the symptom was practically gone. I introduced dairy again and the congestion came right back. So, there's the cause. I am now gluten and dairy free--not that I ever drank much milk but I did like yogurt and kefir. 

What frustrates me is it's hard enough being strictly gluten free, now this? Also--I really dislike doctors nowadays. They talk to you for 2 minutes, don't get a full history or really dig into what's going on. I figured this out myself (just like the last 3 things that were wrong with me). Do they not care any more? They go to school for all those years and spend all that money to do what? It never used to be like this with doctors. 

I still have the post nasal drip and it did NOT cause the throat guck. Dairy did. Since removing dairy my running has improved quite a bit, too. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, TurtlePower said:

So, after going gluten free due to celiac disease, now I must be dairy-free as well due to inflammation issues. The background: for months it felt like I had a frog in my throat and I was constantly clearing it. I thought it was from Covid back in April and went to the Dr. The doctors could not figure out what was causing it and said "post nasal drip" as a blanket explanation. The gucky throat kept on, I kept trying to clear it. 

By happenstance a couple weeks ago, I hadn't had any dairy in days. I felt much better and the symptom was practically gone. I introduced dairy again and the congestion came right back. So, there's the cause. I am now gluten and dairy free--not that I ever drank much milk but I did like yogurt and kefir. 

What frustrates me is it's hard enough being strictly gluten free, now this? Also--I really dislike doctors nowadays. They talk to you for 2 minutes, don't get a full history or really dig into what's going on. I figured this out myself (just like the last 3 things that were wrong with me). Do they not care any more? They go to school for all those years and spend all that money to do what? It never used to be like this with doctors. 

I still have the post nasal drip and it did NOT cause the throat guck. Dairy did. Since removing dairy my running has improved quite a bit, too. 

I also have to gluten free, dairy free, egg free, legume free due to allergies (eczema and inflammation). Coconut milk works for me. And it doesn’t have a strong coconut taste. The coconut yogurt is pretty good and so is the coconut “ice cream”. My favorite brand is “So Delicious”.  But I really miss cheese.  However breaking out head to toe in eczema is worse. And my arthritis pain has subsided. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 2