Type keyword(s) to search

Media for Yellowstone: Y Times and Misdemeanors

• Start Topic

Is this the end for Yellowstone?

‘Yellowstone’ Shocker: Kevin Costner Cowboy Drama Series Plots End As Taylor Sheridan Eyes Franchise Extension With Matthew McConaughey

Deadline understands that Taylor Sheridan, co-creator and showrunner, Paramount Global and Paramount Network are moving to end their signature show in its current form. But they are plotting a potential franchise extension to continue the Dutton saga, a new show with Matthew McConaughey in talks to star. It is unclear which of the Yellowstone cast will move over to the McConaughey-led series, but it is expected to include several of the big stars.  

<snip>

The crux of the issue with the original Yellowstone series involves star Kevin Costner and disagreements over shooting schedules. Sources tell Deadline that Costner, who had originally limited himself to 65 days of shooting on Yellowstone, only wanted to shoot for 50 days for the first part of the current season. But for the second batch of episodes of the current, fifth season of Yellowstone, the actor, who just won best television actor in a drama series at the Golden Globes, only wanted to spend a week shooting. 

Costner is directing and starring in his multi-part western epic Horizon, which he co-wrote with Jon Baird that landed at Warner Bros. Pictures and New Line. 

We are told Paramount Network has declined Costner’s most recent proposal and instead has made the decision to move on to the other show, sources said.  What all parties are now wrangling is a Yellowstone franchise extension that Sheridan will write with McConaughey as the star. The True Detective star is currently in negotiations. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the last season.  I started thinking that all of the storylines were just plodding along and needed to be resolved soon. 

No more Jamie/Beth.

No more Beth/Summer.

No more Beth, period.

No more Monica.

No more murderin' and sending people to the train station.

• Like 6

Paramount, the show runner and the production team are trying to put the blame on Kevin Costner for the delay in airing the 2nd part of current season? Why are they making it all about Kevin and his scheduling? Dramahhh.

Edited by SnazzyDaisy

Dear KC: stop playing. Go or don't go but don't be out here torturing your loyal fans.

Costner is the only reason I've stuck with this show. If he's out, so am I.

AFAIC Matthew McConaughey can't even drink KC's bath water. Sheridan should create yet another spin-off if he wants to bring in MM because I think the flagship Yellowstone will sink like a stone without KC. But I'm surprised it's taken this long for McConaughey's name to pop up since he has authentic Texas bona fides.

• Like 2

This is so stupid. If Costner is going they should just end the show. Give MM another show if you must. I read some of the characters are gonna stay when MM comes on and it’s going to be an extension of the show we are watching now. That sounds horrible and like they wanna drag it out forever like Greys and ER. It’s just going to become stale and stupid and ruin what was once a good show. Taylor Sheridan sounds like a huge douche to me and he seems like he buys into his own hype.

• Like 2

The hard part I suspect is that Costner pulled this just as they were about to start shooting the second half of the season. Hard to rewrite the show on the fly I am guessing. Then again seeing as how Sheridan pulls scripts out of his ass these days maybe not .

• Like 1

From the Twitter pic, I had to look up who they were on the show.  Oh, it's Walker the Singing Ranch Hand and the Blonde Buckle Bunny who isn't the memorable Teeter.

Too bad if RB left his wife in the dust.  Hopefully everything was over before he moved on.  Don't really know the BTS tea.

I guess Kevin has a lot going on, maybe he had personal reasons for everything else going on at Yellowstone. 

His rep said it's not his fault. Lol This statement will just bring more attention and drama. 

"It is with great sadness that circumstances beyond his control have transpired which have resulted in Mr. Costner having to participate in a dissolution of marriage action."

• Useful 1

That’s some classic word smithing, “ having to participate in a dissolution of marriage action."

Right up there with “rapid unscheduled disassembly “

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
3 hours ago, Artsda said:

I guess Kevin has a lot going on, maybe he had personal reasons for everything else going on at Yellowstone. 

His rep said it's not his fault. Lol This statement will just bring more attention and drama. 

"It is with great sadness that circumstances beyond his control have transpired which have resulted in Mr. Costner having to participate in a dissolution of marriage action."

We need a Surprised 😯 but not quite the mind blown emoji.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Artsda said:

And suddenly 'conscious uncoupling' sounds a little less ridiculous.

• LOL 3

Hmm, it didn't seem to me there was much question whether KC would return AFTER season 5. Right now I think it seems uncertain whether he'll finish season 5. Or if season 5 will even have a timely conclusion given the writers strike. Additionally, some key cast members have other projects they're also committed to so there may be too many time conflicts.

I get the feeling that 99% of this mess is due to Sheridan being overextended with all the spinoffs. IMO there's no point in continuing the OG Yellowstone series now that its quality has declined so much.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Paramount has announced the end of Yellowstone following season 5. They also confirmed the Yellowstone “sequel” but didn’t confirm any casting i.e. Matthew McConaughey).

I can’t get the link to work for me (user error) but it was via The Hollywood Reporter.

(edited)

This sad way to end on all this drama. 

Sounds like spinoff will have everyone but Kevin? Dutton story continues.  So Matthew is gonna be what a long lost son. Lol 

"The Dutton story continues, picking up where Yellowstone leaves off in another epic tale. We are thrilled to bring this new journey to audiences around the world,”

Edited by Artsda

Very sad news.  So the new series is supposed to be a sequel in present day times, "picking up where Yellowstone leaves off", and supposedly starring Matthew McConaughey?  I am not a Matthew McConaughey fan and will not be watching.

This all seems kind of abrupt.  Why not try and continue the story with the current characters?

This also seems to make all of the prequels a bit silly.  Yes, it is interesting seeing Harrison Ford and Helen Mirren making a go of life in 1923, but what does it all matter if Kevin Costner John dies, a new show with McConaughey starts, and we never find out whether Rip / Kayce / Tate keep the ranch and the Dutton legacy alive?

I wonder how this affects Taylor Sheridan's plans for a 1952 / 1962 / 1972 series which was supposed to feature Kevin Costner John's father.

(edited)
41 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Why not try and continue the story with the current characters?

That's what they are doing, minus Kevin it looks like. 

They are ending the name of the show because of the licensing agreement with Peacock.   Peacock has rights for Yellowstone. 

If they end Yellowstone then 2 weeks later takes same cast and picks up where it left off called "Dutton Ranch" for example then Paramount+ has the rights not peacock. 

Edited by Artsda
  • Useful 4

“Yellowstone” is officially coming to an end, with the final episodes of the megahit Paramount Network series’ fifth season set to launch in November. In addition, an untitled sequel series has been ordered and will debut on Paramount Network and Paramount+ in December.

54 minutes ago, Artsda said:

That's what they are doing, minus Kevin it looks like. 

They are ending the name of the show because of the licensing agreement with Peacock.   Peacock has rights for Yellowstone. 

If they end Yellowstone then 2 weeks later takes same cast and picks up where it left off called "Dutton Ranch" for example then Paramount+ has the rights not peacock. 

Ah thanks for the explanation.  I'm not sure if I want to watch this show without Costner, and I can't stand McConaughey.

• Like 1

I'll watch the sequel.  Characters will remain for it that I find interesting. Costner has long had a rep for being difficult and a diva in the industry so I am not surprised this is all going down this way. I am neutral on McConaughey so I will give him a chance.

I think all the people who love Rip would watch him in the sequel.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I'm glad this is the end of Yellowstone.  I've stuck with it but I've had enough, and I won't be watching any of the other Sheridan shows.

Today (and since the end of S4.5), I feel the same. I was tiring of the Jamie drama, the Beth psychosis, the Monica...well the Monica everything, with seemingly no end in sight. Tbh, the long lapses between seasons (and parts of seasons) added to my apathy.

• Like 6

If they are going to air the final season of Yellowstone this fall AND the new series  with McConaughey in Dec, that’s gonna make for tight filming schedule if they want characters/actors to cross over.

Shows don't normally or ever debut in Dec especially because of the holidays.  

I wonder if they film just a pilot episode when wrapping Yellowstone part 2 of S5 then just air that the week after the series finale .  Then real season 1 airs in 2024.

(edited)
1 hour ago, Artsda said:

Shows don't normally or ever debut in Dec especially because of the holidays.  

I wonder if they film just a pilot episode when wrapping Yellowstone part 2 of S5 then just air that the week after the series finale .  Then real season 1 airs in 2024.

That's my thing. If I need a spreadsheet to keep track of your show, I don't need your show.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 3

Ditto comments upthread, KC's departure is likely going to be the end of all things Yellowstone-related for me. But I don't feel one way or another about McConaughey and seems like they're not calling him KC's replacement. (As if.) I remain surprised it took this long to pull him into the Yellowstone universe.

Sheridan has to be a textbook example of running a good thing into the ground, what with all these ridiculous prequels and sequels. Even Dick Wolf isn't this bad.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
(edited)

I’m totally confused by the timing of this show’s return. I saw ads advertising it as back on May 25, but it wasn’t. If they pushed it back to November, why are they running ads saying May 25? I even saw it posted on the app. 

They have hurt this show by taking too long between seasons, splitting up the season and delaying the last part. I don’t even remember what happened before the break. This is a good way to lose your audience. 

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1